PDA

View Full Version : 2019 AFL Finals Series

Pages : [1] 2

Eastdog
25-08-2019, 08:11 PM
Will post up the confirmed match times once they are announced very soon. Great to be back in September.

https://i.postimg.cc/VSDPgFHQ/3353-C009-36-F2-4173-9-BF8-91-DCBFF78-CF7.jpg (https://postimg.cc/VSDPgFHQ)

1eyedog
25-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Saturday September 7 at 3:20pm.

Rocket Science
02-09-2019, 09:24 PM
I think the debate as to whether the pre-finals week off drags on too long has been settled.

https://i.ibb.co/F8B4Jh1/Screen-Shot-2019-09-02-at-8-18-23-pm.png (https://ibb.co/CVnKvwy)

Twodogs
05-09-2019, 09:53 PM
Geez Essendon are getting exposed here. Five minutes into the second and they have given up.

Jakey's having a blinder too...

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 10:01 PM
It is 5,480 days without winning a final for Essendon. Best case add 365 more days before winning a final. That's 5,845 days.

Big club... 'Deserve' Good Friday Ove us... Players want to be traded there... All while not having a salary cap...

I hope you don't regret the next three years AMT.

1eyedog
05-09-2019, 10:44 PM
Saad's good

Twodogs
05-09-2019, 10:48 PM
The umpires are doing their best to win this for Essendon.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 10:52 PM
The umpires are doing their best to win this for Essendon.

Someone has to. Who else will? Stringer?

1eyedog
05-09-2019, 10:54 PM
Someone has to. Who else will? Stringer?

Can't get near it.

Sedat
05-09-2019, 10:59 PM
Jesse Stringer having more impact than Jake Stringer tonight

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 10:59 PM
Can't get near it.

... Won't get near it by choice

I struggle to square the 2015 Stringer against the 2019 Stringer.

jeemak
05-09-2019, 11:01 PM
Oh Jake, not your best effort.

Commentators still pumping him up though, which is good to hear.

Rocket Science
05-09-2019, 11:02 PM
Jakey + sharting the bed in a final.

Name a more iconic duo.

I'll wait.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 11:04 PM
Oh Jake, not your best effort.

Commentators still pumping him up though, which is good to hear.

Poor Brian Taylor can't get off the Stringer shit show now after years of jumping up half hearted efforts. I wonder if he has regrets now...

jeemak
05-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Poor Brian Taylor can't get off the Stringer shit show now after years of jumping up half hearted efforts. I wonder if he has regrets now...

It's actually at perversion levels now. The myth's well and truly busted, but he just can't stop himself from getting up him.

Twodogs
05-09-2019, 11:10 PM
It is 5,480 days without winning a final for Essendon. Best case add 365 more days before winning a final. That's 5,845 days.

Big club... 'Deserve' Good Friday Ove us... Players want to be traded there... All while not having a salary cap...

I hope you don't regret the next three years AMT.

With some of his efforts tonight I'm glad he signed again with Essendon.

I'm glad they payed big for Shiel too. He's a shittruck.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 11:11 PM
It's actually at perversion levels now. The myth's well and truly busted, but he just can't stop himself from getting up him.

Might have to do with them doing a fair few sportsmanship nights ($$$) together. Surely no fans in neutral team land is buying it anymore. Maybe?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 11:13 PM
With some of his efforts tonight I'm glad he signed again with Essendon.

I'm glad they payed big for Shiel too. He's a shittruck.

Would be nice if them signing Shiel, which stopped them from getting Martin last year delivers Martin to us. May need to send Dodo a fruit basket to say thanks (all fruit infected with fruit fly).

Twodogs
05-09-2019, 11:16 PM

Taylor was going on about what a great year Stringer has had and in the next breath says "his tummy is sticking out of the bottom of his jumper.

So which is it? The ripped B&F winning superstar or roly poly Jakey?

Would be nice if them signing Shiel, which stopped them from getting Martin last year delivers Martin to us. May need to send Dodo a fruit basket to say thanks (all fruit infected with fruit fly).

I'd be happy to deliver the fruit to Dodo personally. Thrown one piece at a time at pace. And the more rotten the better.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 11:17 PM
Stringer getting some cheapies to try to hide his lack of effort. Nice try Jake.

jeemak
05-09-2019, 11:20 PM
I knew they wouldn't risk taking their eyes off the real prize which is the national trade week championship, which is still a few weeks away yet, by concentrating on this Mickey Mouse finals rubbish.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 11:22 PM
I knew they wouldn't risk taking their eyes off the real prize which is the national trade week championship, which is still a few weeks away yet, by concentrating on this Mickey Mouse finals rubbish.

Remembering their prize pick 11 from this smashing tonight is going to GWS for Shiel...

jeemak
05-09-2019, 11:23 PM
Stringer getting some cheapies to try to hide his lack of effort. Nice try Jake.

He's had a fantastic year apparently. such a fantastic year. Here's his comparison with Sam Lloyd, who's had less tackles than Jake but hasn't managed midfield minutes, which Jake has to earn his 12 touches a game average.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=3799&pid2=3976&fid1=S&fid2=S

So fantastic.

bornadog
05-09-2019, 11:23 PM
The slaughter begins

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 11:31 PM
He's had a fantastic year apparently. such a fantastic year. Here's his comparison with Sam Lloyd, who's had less tackles than Jake but hasn't managed midfield minutes, which Jake has to earn his 12 touches a game average.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=3799&pid2=3976&fid1=S&fid2=S

So fantastic.

Lloyd needs a 'cool' nickname. Maybe the hard worker-er? The effort-nator?

Sedat
05-09-2019, 11:33 PM
Junktime Jake

Twodogs
05-09-2019, 11:33 PM

So fantastic.

Jake Stringer Name Sam Lloyd
Essendon Bombers Team Western Bulldogs
Forward Position Midfield/Forward

How is Jake just a forward and LLoyd is a midfielder/forward? Lloyd has spent about as much time playing in our midfield this year as I have.

Rocket Science
05-09-2019, 11:36 PM
Nauseating hearing the commentary panel doing contortions to put lipstick on the turd that has been the Bombers' season. WHY?

They staggered arse first into September then embarrassed themselves in their only final and the coach is on death row.

Carey "Yeah, I'd give them a tick".

FMD.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 11:37 PM
The slaughter begins

The problem Essendon have is because they want to win trade week every year they don't draft enough top end talent to see a lot of growth in. Most of their good players at their best already. Hooker, Hurley, Heppell, Shiel etc have nowhere really to go. There's a few with development left, but if they were a stock I'd have sold the lot a while back. They have a lot of pain ahead and no stomach to do the overhaul to maybe win a final anytime within 20 years since the last one.

So good news.

Sedat
05-09-2019, 11:38 PM
Only negative tonight is Woosha likely to get sacked and they might get a half-decent coach now.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Only negative tonight is Woosha likely to get sacked and they might get a half-decent coach now.

Is there a coach trade week they could win too? Winning both player and coach trade weeks would be amazing. Totes amazing.

While the best coaches have already been hired or re-signed.

Twodogs
05-09-2019, 11:48 PM
What did NicNat just say to Worsfold as they were walking off? Woosher walked up to him to shake his and and Nick said something, turned his back and pointed to his shoulder. Worsfold just sort of snarled and walked away.

Maybe it was "If you ever send a dickhead like Belchambers out to snipe me like that again I will take it out on you"

Twodogs
05-09-2019, 11:49 PM

Dick Reynolds is dead.

Hotdog60
05-09-2019, 11:50 PM
The Package has reinvented himself to The soggy paper bag,

Rocket Science
06-09-2019, 12:15 AM
Get yourself some popcorn and get scrolling (https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/essington-vs-wwe-coast-match-review-thread-another-finals-soaking/16792/102).

You're welcome.

Twodogs
06-09-2019, 12:18 AM
Get yourself some popcorn and get scrolling (https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/essington-vs-wwe-coast-match-review-thread-another-finals-soaking/16792/102).

You're welcome.

Oh thank you! Crunch (that's the popcorn sound.)

This is a great stat!

over the past 50 years in finals, only Kevin Sheedy has coached us to a win (23 Wins & 20 Losses). Every other coach has tried 7 times (Make that 8 after tonight?) and lost them all

bulldogtragic
06-09-2019, 12:31 AM

You're welcome.

Glorious. Just glorious.

bornadog
06-09-2019, 12:54 AM
The Package has reinvented himself to The soggy paper bag,

He is overrated. Ha literally done nothing since 2015, infact he has gone backwards

Twodogs
06-09-2019, 01:05 AM
He is overrated. Ha literally done nothing since 2015, infact he has gone backwards

I always knew it but far out Essington fans are delusional. They are convinced that Stringer played shit tonight because they rushed him back before he'd recovered from his injury. No, he was shit tonight because he appears to be eating lard straight from the tub...

jeemak
06-09-2019, 03:10 AM
I always knew it but far out Essington fans are delusional. They are convinced that Stringer played shit tonight because they rushed him back before he'd recovered from his injury. No, he was shit tonight because he appears to be eating lard straight from the tub...

He looked like a bit of a fat shit by AFL standards didn't he.

Jumpers these days are pretty tough on players, but it was noticeable with Jake after a couple of weeks off after apparently one of the most fantastic seasons ever (I can't believe he didn't make the AA Squad at least after 1.8 goals a game at 12.1 disposals whilst rotating through the midfield).

It's been a great night for sport in Australia tonight. WCE didn't look immediately convincing whilst pantsing Essendon, and Steve Smith puts together a great innings with support from our mediocre captain who had a well welcomed dash of form to make us super competitive in the cricket.

westdog54
06-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Oh thank you! Crunch (that's the popcorn sound.)

This is a great stat!

over the past 50 years in finals, only Kevin Sheedy has coached us to a win (23 Wins & 20 Losses). Every other coach has tried 7 times (Make that 8 after tonight?) and lost them all

How's this for an excuse, asking why they go into finals underdone:

"Docklands.

The only teams to have won a flag out of there were is in 2000 without the accumulated effects, and WBD, on the back of 4 weeks of it all falling in place."

AshMac
06-09-2019, 09:09 AM

You're welcome.

This is just delicious reading. Up yours Essendon

Dancin' Douggy
06-09-2019, 09:26 AM
I know I really should 'grow up'. But few things give me as much pleasure as watching Stringer play a stinker. And the bombers getting belted.

Wasn't it truly sickening how the commentators were just SO in love with him. It was just jaw dropping.
Hopefully Jake really soaks up the praise over the off season. Let's hope he bastes himself in it, drapes himself in it, steeps himself in it, marinates himself in it, bathes himself in it, showers himself in it.... and let's hope Jake continues to hover at this level of INCREDIBLE.

whythelongface
06-09-2019, 10:16 AM

There were two standout moments in the game that I thought 'yep that is why we are glad he no longer plays for us'.

Firstly a lame tackle on McGovern on the wing where McGovern easily fended Stringer off and secondly a piss poor attempt at a half volley when he could have gone harder at the ball and taken a mark (would have been a mark directly in front and Bombers would have been back within 18).

Dancin' Douggy
06-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Yeah, that one in the goal square where he waited for the ball to bounce was appalling. Anyone with a shred of hunger or commitment in their body would have burst forward and marked that. It would have been impossible to defend against too.
Lazy.
There were two standout moments in the game that I thought 'yep that is why we are glad he no longer plays for us'.

Firstly a lame tackle on McGovern on the wing where McGovern easily fended Stringer off and secondly a piss poor attempt at a half volley when he could have gone harder at the ball and taken a mark (would have been a mark directly in front and Bombers would have been back within 18).

comrade
06-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Good start to the finals with Bombers bowing out in meek fashion. Now for Geelong to get beaten tonight on the road to straight sets.

bornadog
06-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Yeah, that one in the goal square where he waited for the ball to bounce was appalling. Anyone with a shred of hunger or commitment in their body would have burst forward and marked that. It would have been impossible to defend against too.
Lazy.

Stringer does not like body contact

Axe Man
06-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Seems we on woof aren't the only ones to cotton on to the truth behind Dodoro and Essendon constantly winning trade week. Fun thread from Big Footy:

Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/adrian-dodoro-football%E2%80%99s-biggest-fraud.1227694/)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Stringer does not like body contact

Well....Ummmm.. not sure if that's completely true.. wasn't it his seeking out body contact that was a precursor to some of his issues that led to his trade out of the club?

Bulldog4life
06-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Stringer looked out of gas and chubby.

Grantysghost
06-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Stringer looked out of gas and chubby.

He's incredibly over weight. He's not a light guy naturally but we were looking last night at his last year at dogs and he was much leaner.
https://i.postimg.cc/0jJB7S4h/temp-File-For-Share-20190905-220517.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
06-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Kick any goals

https://media1.giphy.com/media/VHYtnGcphGzmGYHmAr/giphy.gif

Mofra
06-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Stringer had a shocker, ditto McKernan. Hooker & Hurley underdone.
Shiel not worth two first rounders. Darcy Parish is 'ok' but turned the ball over a lot in the first half, and he was a pick 5. Their best players were Saad and McGrath, while Ham goes hard for a kid who can't weigh more than 65kgs wringing wet.

Essendon are in no man's land and it warms the cockles of my heart. No first round draft pick this year either.

hujsh
06-09-2019, 11:58 AM

So fantastic.

Heard on the 'Trends' Podcast as they previewed the finals that Jake was the 4th rated small/mid forward in the comp in AFL player ratings. So by some measure this may be true.

Before we all dismiss these rankings as BS I should inform you that Baily Smith is the highest rated first year player in the comp so maybe there's something to them after all.

Rocket Science
06-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Kick any goals

https://media1.giphy.com/media/VHYtnGcphGzmGYHmAr/giphy.gif

Oh this is delicious, and surprisingly versatile ...

- Lay any tackles Jakey?
- Hard ball gets?
- How about a contested mark?
- Jeezus can you chase your opponent at least?
- Alright just lay off the dim sims okay?

I could play this game all day.

Remi Moses
06-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Malthouse has been on Stringer for no tackle pressure for two years
Grumpy old campaigner is mick , but he knows his players .
The way they play just doesn’t cut the mustard in big games or against teams who bring heat
Nic Nat’s influence is telling and you’d sleep well in that midfield knowing he’s rucking .
No doubt Dodo and East Germany will win the trade period again

Rocket Science
06-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Early days but the the Catters crapping the bed when it matters most is at least as tasty as the Dons doing it.

Twodogs
06-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Haha. Good on you Harry you *!*!*!*!ing idiot.l

bulldogtragic
06-09-2019, 09:14 PM
I wish our midfielders got made up frees like Dangerfield & Selwood.

Remi Moses
06-09-2019, 09:34 PM
I wouldn’t mind having a crack at the handbaggers in a final
How conservative are they playing .

Bulldog4life
06-09-2019, 09:41 PM
I wouldn’t mind having a crack at the handbaggers in a final
How conservative are they playing .

If they lose what's the bet they will want to play at their home game next week.

Sedat
06-09-2019, 09:42 PM
Geelol

Rocket Science
06-09-2019, 10:32 PM
Love how whenever the whistle goes Danger instinctively assumes it's for him.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Dahl with 6 disposals at 67%. Have to question his motovation tonight. Like Stringer last night.

Three second rounders used in part on Schache, Richards & West. I hope these kids show them real motovation tomorrow.

macca
06-09-2019, 10:53 PM
I wish our midfielders got made up frees like Dangerfield & Selwood.

Danger pleads for 2 frees in 3rd quarter. Umpire correctly ignored.

macca
06-09-2019, 10:54 PM
Three second rounders used in part on Schache, Richards & West. I hope these kids show them real motovation tomorrow. fantastic pickup so much upside and a hopefully a few more hundred games between the 3 players

bulldogtragic
06-09-2019, 10:55 PM
Danger pleads for 2 frees in 3rd quarter. Umpire correctly ignored.

They won’t umpire the GF if they continue to correctly officiate... :D

Rocket Science
06-09-2019, 10:57 PM
Dahl with 6 disposals at 67%. Have to question his motovation tonight. Like Stringer last night.

Three second rounders used in part on Schache, Richards & West. I hope these kids show them real motovation tomorrow.

The signature Dahlhaus snap shot that quarter too. You know, the flubbed 20 metre dribble at a critical juncture that gets scooped up and swept back the other way while you fill a swear jar.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2019, 10:59 PM
The signature Dahlhaus snap shot that quarter too. You know, the flubbed 20 metre dribble at a critical juncture that gets scooped up and swept back the other way while you fill a swear jar.

He will miss the scrutiny. Rohan with one effective disposal to mid way in the last quarter.... 74 minutes played & 13m gained....

Sydney stoked with pick 62 for him. Which they turned into Ryan Clarke. No returns.

ledge
06-09-2019, 11:01 PM
Cats are so slow they are the second worst side to make the 8 and ended up on top !

Rocket Science
06-09-2019, 11:11 PM
Oh dear.

Dahl.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Oh dear.

Dahl.

I said the Mrs, I bet he kicks it across goal on the full. He almost always did that the last few years.

Seems his kick is less penetrating, but the angle was right...

Rocket Science
06-09-2019, 11:16 PM
I said the Mrs, I bet he kicks it across goal on the full. He almost always did that the last few years.

Seems his kick is less penetrating, but the angle was right...

If you were a Cats fan you'd be feeling #demotovated about now.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2019, 11:20 PM
If you were a Cats fan you'd be feeling #demotovated about now.

They were so excited about their list mgt last year... for where they were, players who stand up in finals should’ve been the litmus test.

Topdog
06-09-2019, 11:24 PM

And the signature Dahl set shot in the last. 35/40m out and either doesn’t make the distance or kicks it out on the full.

ledge
06-09-2019, 11:25 PM
They were so excited about their list mgt last year... for where they were, players who stand up in finals should’ve been the litmus test.

Just hanging on with old players to keep making finals , eg kangaroos a few years ago.
They will fall away next year, Ablett really looking done tonight.

Sedat
06-09-2019, 11:26 PM
Nic Nat will be licking his chops next week against Geelong's rubbish ruck division and one-way downhill skiing midfield.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2019, 11:28 PM
Just hanging on with old players to keep making finals , eg kangaroos a few years ago.
They will fall away next year, Ablett really looking done tonight.

Gary Senior, Nathan & Michael are all better Abletts to be playing right now.

bornadog
06-09-2019, 11:45 PM

Time for a tap on the shoulder

ledge
06-09-2019, 11:46 PM

And Kevin

Ghost Dog
07-09-2019, 02:22 AM

Someone wrote " Call Aussie Post quick! a package has gone missing..." haha

dog town
07-09-2019, 02:52 AM
I know I really should 'grow up'. But few things give me as much pleasure as watching Stringer play a stinker. And the bombers getting belted.

Wasn't it truly sickening how the commentators were just SO in love with him. It was just jaw dropping.
Hopefully Jake really soaks up the praise over the off season. Let's hope he bastes himself in it, drapes himself in it, steeps himself in it, marinates himself in it, bathes himself in it, showers himself in it.... and let's hope Jake continues to hover at this level of INCREDIBLE. The bombers are a bit of a cautionary tale for us. We can recruit 2-3 good players but having a balanced system that holds up under pressure is more important.

ledge
07-09-2019, 10:00 AM
The bombers are a bit of a cautionary tale for us. We can recruit 2-3 good players but having a balanced system that holds up under pressure is more important.

Bombers have a shite system , not good in development, recruit players to make up the short fall in that area, thus filling their list with one two or three overpaid players because they had to pay overs to get them.
We haven’t seen them recruit one mediocre player and improve them.
It’s all about recruiting big names that are already set in the way they play and because the bombers have no playing system through the reserves and seniors these so called guns are trying to either play their own game or trying to pull them out of the shite.

I look at successful clubs the core is a group of players growing together and coming through a planned system for each player to have a role, Essendon are a wishy washy list of mediocre players with no guidance and rely on certain players brilliance but no actual team mantra .

ledge
07-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Pies looked good last night but hard to read fully as Geelong had no speed and just looked like they were trying to survive.
To me tigers, lions and us are the speed teams of this campaign.
West coast are the big bully team and GWS are the inconsistent team that seems to be in between speed and bullying and don’t know their own identity.
Interesting to see how it all pans out.

mjp
07-09-2019, 10:35 AM
I have to say I didn’t need really take any pleasure from watching Dahl play like that. That isn’t the player he is/was with us and I am sure he will turn it back around - he played good footy early in the year. (Like his team did). Geelong are still very dangerous - they seemed to be beaten all over the ground but only lost by a single point.

Collingwood? Opposite really. The week off won’t help the likes of Stephenson and De Goey who NEED to play...and just like in the grand final last year they were (nearly) beaten in a game they should have won easily given domination of the ball due to their inability to score...

comrade
07-09-2019, 10:41 AM
I think we’d do well against either side.

De Goey is likely to miss the rest of finals with his hammy.

1eyedog
07-09-2019, 10:58 AM
I feel like Emperor Palpatine from ROTJ because everything is coming together as I have foreseen to ;). If we get Geelong at any stage and knock them over I will reach the last pic in that Vince McMahon meme.

Jeanette54
07-09-2019, 11:02 AM
I think we’d do well against either side.

Problem is, we have to get past today, and GWS first,

anfo27
07-09-2019, 11:05 AM
I'd like to see Dahl & Stringer play well but their teams lose. They were both part of making every woofers dream come true & i'll always be thankful for that.

Not sure what they're doing at Geelong but they seem to have a few big names who looked cooked to me. Ablett, Taylor & Selwood looked done. Haven't watched a lot of Geelong but everytime i have Selwood doesn't have an impact. Does his style of bang & crash contested footy taking its toll on him?

Neither team looked dangerous last night.

Bulldog Joe
07-09-2019, 11:08 AM
I feel like Emperor Palpatine from ROTJ because everything is coming together as I have foreseen to ;). If we get Geelong at any stage and knock them over I will reach the last pic in that Vince McMahon meme.

For that to happen now it would be the Grand Final.

Can't see Geelong getting there.

1eyedog
07-09-2019, 11:13 AM
For that to happen now it would be the Grand Final.

Can't see Geelong getting there.

Even better.

Mofra
07-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Geelong will miss the finals next year.

Webby
07-09-2019, 11:29 AM
I have to say I didn’t need really take any pleasure from watching Dahl play like that. That isn’t the player he is/was with us and I am sure he will turn it back around - he played good footy early in the year. (Like his team did). Geelong are still very dangerous - they seemed to be beaten all over the ground but only lost by a single point.

Collingwood? Opposite really. The week off won’t help the likes of Stephenson and De Goey who NEED to play...and just like in the grand final last year they were (nearly) beaten in a game they should have won easily given domination of the ball due to their inability to score...

Should clarify that Collingwood won by 10 points after easing off towards the line - with a lack of rotations after losing de Goey and Greenwood to injury. De Goey’s injury is said to be a low grade hammy, so you’d assume the week off would help, if anything. However your point stands on Stephenson and de Goey looked well off his normal pace, sharpness and explosiveness prior to going off. I reckon he’s a bit of a write off for this year’s finals.

mjp
07-09-2019, 11:29 AM

I thought that THIS year.

The Adelaide Connection
07-09-2019, 11:32 AM
I'd like to see Dahl & Stringer play well but their teams lose. They were both part of making every woofers dream come true & i'll always be thankful for that.

Not sure what they're doing at Geelong but they seem to have a few big names who looked cooked to me. Ablett, Taylor & Selwood looked done. Haven't watched a lot of Geelong but everytime i have Selwood doesn't have an impact. Does his style of bang & crash contested footy taking its toll on him?

I went to the round 1 game between these two teams and it is easily the worst game I have ever seen live. They both were beyond horrible and don’t let the excitement of being close at the end let people tell you it was as great game, the game was an amateurish stinker. Sure you can say “It’s round 1” but I remember thinking that neither team would go anywhere near finals, never mind winning it.

I was wrong obviously, but last night I started to revert to my thinking that they are both pretty ‘meh’. We should have beaten Collingwood both times and I am convinced that it was the age/inexperience that left us short at the time, but we would definitely get them now.

If we can make the Prelim it is a much better result getting Collingwood than WC. If all this lines up everyone on here is obliged to buy a Hawthorn supporting mate a beer.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2019, 11:40 AM

They need to properly rebuild now. Which they won't. Ablett, Taylor & Selwood X 2 look shot/will be shot by next year. Kelly looks to be leaving. Henderson, Tuohy & Hawkins are getting to veteran stage. Rohan won't help them win finals. Cockatoo can't stay uninjured.

They need to take their first rounder and Kelly picks to the draft and rebuild. I'm happy to wager they'll try to blow many of them on the Goldsteins, Stevens & Higgins etc that they think will deliver them premiership. I get the sense from the trade rumours that they see their list very differently from people outside their bubble.

Grantysghost
07-09-2019, 11:43 AM

As long as Kardinia Park exists, and the cannon fodder they generally get sent they will always be around the 8.

ledge
07-09-2019, 12:12 PM
They need to properly rebuild now. Which they won't. Ablett, Taylor & Selwood X 2 look shot/will be shot by next year. Kelly looks to be leaving. Henderson, Tuohy & Hawkins are getting to veteran stage. Rohan won't help them win finals. Cockatoo can't stay uninjured.

They need to take their first rounder and Kelly picks to the draft and rebuild. I'm happy to wager they'll try to blow many of them on the Goldsteins, Stevens & Higgins etc that they think will deliver them premiership. I get the sense from the trade rumours that they see their list very differently from people outside their bubble.

I see a lot similar to his brother at Nth in this, load up with old players hoping to pinch a flag but they will all
Retire within two years and drop signicantly.

Sedat
07-09-2019, 12:31 PM
They'll hardly ever miss finals because they are guaranteed 7-8 wins minimum at their crappy little regional toy ground. But they will hardly ever truly contend in September precisely because of said crappy little regional toy ground.

jeemak
07-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Didn't we say that about them at the end of last year?

They have an absolutely charmed existence during the home and away season. Get to play games at their genuine Victorian home ground and then get to play plenty of others in Victoria that multiple teams call their home ground and that Geelong play at regularly.

These factors alone will ensure they remain right in the hunt to finish top eight.

I couldn't be happier they lost last night. The level of entitlement they display throughout their entire club and its supporters has pushed me to a level where I'm actively advocating for Collingwood to be successful. That's pretty entitled.

Twodogs
07-09-2019, 12:38 PM

I'd happily and genuinely shake Stringer"s or Dahl's hand and say thank you for helping to make a dream (that I thought would never happen) come true.

I just don't want their shit truck football teams winning is all.

I went to the round 1 game between these two teams and it is easily the worst game I have ever seen live. They both were beyond horrible and don’t let the excitement of being close at the end let people tell you it was as great game, the game was an amateurish stinker. Sure you can say “It’s round 1” but I remember thinking that neither team would go anywhere near finals, never mind winning it.

I was wrong obviously, but last night I started to revert to my thinking that they are both pretty ‘meh’. We should have beaten Collingwood both times and I am convinced that it was the age/inexperience that left us short at the time, but we would definitely get them now.

If we can make the Prelim it is a much better result getting Collingwood than WC. If all this lines up everyone on here is obliged to buy a Hawthorn supporting mate a beer.

I dunno about beer. That might be a bit too stimulating for a Hawthorn supporter. We could fill their thermos full of tea though.

Rocket Science
07-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Didn't we say that about them at the end of last year?

They have an absolutely charmed existence during the home and away season. Get to play games at their genuine Victorian home ground and then get to play plenty of others in Victoria that multiple teams call their home ground and that Geelong play at regularly.

These factors alone will ensure they remain right in the hunt to finish top eight.

I couldn't be happier they lost last night. The level of entitlement they display throughout their entire club and its supporters has pushed me to a level where I'm actively advocating for Collingwood to be successful. That's pretty entitled.

In a sense it's their achilles heel because it keeps them nice and comfy and shields them from building a style that's truly finals-compatible.

During last night's game a Lions-supporting mate and I amused ourselves quipping about the Cats' post-game presser a la Scott's unwillingness to acknowledge Charlie Cameron's influence in knocking them over a few weeks back.

Sure enough, "I'll reserve my judgement on the impact Grundy had ..."

Oh Scotty, don't ever change.

macca
07-09-2019, 02:17 PM
Please keep it up scott . Your arrogance blindsides , your team’s ageing list , favoured fixture, and lack of respect for opposition players
Cameron kicked 6 goals , thats a fair effort
Keep up the good work
I will enjoy seeing Geelong hype I’d make finals and splutter again next year
Interesting how some some players have Become better after leaving like McCarthy , Hambling etc...
they are in trouble with the ruck and their midfield next year

Mofra
07-09-2019, 02:44 PM
I'm still a big Mohicek fan. Just works hard, you have to respect effort

1eyedog
08-09-2019, 12:46 AM
I'm still a big Mohicek fan. Just works hard, you have to respect effort

Yep he is almost always involved in the match because of it. Similar work ethic to Trengove although more effective.

jeemak
08-09-2019, 02:48 AM
Interestingly I called Geelong and Brisbane about fifth and sixth best leading into the last round of the home and away season. That leaves GWS, Richmond, Collingwood and WCE as possibly better. Might be right, however, on form I rated us better than GWS so am definitely wrong as well!

Sedat
08-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Might be right, however, on form I rated us better than GWS so am definitely wrong as well!
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but GWS could not move from 6th in the last 3 weeks of the season and rested injured players in readiness for an assault on finals. We all read too much into their hammerings against us and the Hawks- they are still very much an elite collection of talented players, most of whom are in their prime.

Dancin' Douggy
08-09-2019, 03:59 PM
I hope Richmond crush them. Orange filth.

bornadog
08-09-2019, 04:07 PM
I hope Richmond crush them. Orange filth.

you mean Brisbane

Rocket Science
08-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Rather hoping Mitch Robinson's pronounced fit to play ... punch Neale in the guts behind play and see what ensues.

Dancin' Douggy
08-09-2019, 05:27 PM
DOH! of course. Brisbane.

you mean Brisbane

jeemak
08-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Jesus I hate Geelong. The sense of entitlement is completely out of control with these pricks and the media facilitates their mollycoddling.

We play at Docklands and rarely at the MCG, but nobody would go into bat for us to get more favourable conditions to be competitive in finals.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cats-need-to-play-more-games-at-the-mcg-to-be-a-premiership-threat-roos-20190907-p52oyk.html

I hope they go out in straight sets more than anything else, that's what the finals are for me now.

hujsh
09-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but GWS could not move from 6th in the last 3 weeks of the season and rested injured players in readiness for an assault on finals. We all read too much into their hammerings against us and the Hawks- they are still very much an elite collection of talented players, most of whom are in their prime.

Yeah GWS felt primed for finals with all their players back and in decent nick. The experience showed too IMO. I think they have more than a chance against Brisbane

Twodogs
09-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Jesus I hate Geelong. The sense of entitlement is completely out of control with these pricks and the media facilitates their mollycoddling.

We play at Docklands and rarely at the MCG, but nobody would go into bat for us to get more favourable conditions to be competitive in finals.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cats-need-to-play-more-games-at-the-mcg-to-be-a-premiership-threat-roos-20190907-p52oyk.html

I hope they go out in straight sets more than anything else, that's what the finals are for me now.

I know how you feel. It got to the stage with me where I just wished Ill Will on the other 17 participants.

That's all I wanted to say. There isn't an epiphany to this story, I just hate everyone.

Happy Days
12-09-2019, 02:03 PM
I thought that THIS year.

Just because they're physically "in" them doesn't mean they haven't missed them too.

Rocket Science
13-09-2019, 10:08 PM
Come on you dirty stinkin' Weagles, more of this please.

https://i.ibb.co/PhttLYk/Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-9-06-20-pm.png (https://ibb.co/Wyssh3C)

jeemak
13-09-2019, 10:31 PM
By far the most entertaining part of the evening is watching Scott and Selwood sook it up.

Bruce is such a creep show.

Dry Rot
14-09-2019, 12:08 AM
Why doesn't the blood rule apply to Selwood?

bornadog
14-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Why doesn't the blood rule apply to Selwood?

Ridiculous he can run around the field with dried blood all over his face

mjp
14-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Rather hoping Mitch Robinson's pronounced fit to play ... punch Neale in the guts behind play and see what ensues.

Why would he punch Neale? They are on the same team!

If Brisbane players come to Lachie's defence and there is an 'all-in' brawl that ONLY includes members of one team, what exactly will the umpires do? Do they break it up? Do they let play go on? And if the latter, what do they do after the Giants kick a goal? Do they penalise the Lions for a 6-6-6 infraction or do they issue a warning and have to simply 'wait' until order is restored???

mjp
14-09-2019, 09:46 AM
If I was to do a ranking of teams in order - with those I hate the most at the top, West Coast would be a clear number #1 (and I reckon any other WA based supporters would 10000% agree). Further, I think that their 2006 and now their 2018 premierships are fatally flawed given subsequent events (Cousins use of amphetamines, Rioli) and should have an asterix against them in the record books.

That said. After the week they had to fight back from 6 goals to 1 and make a 'go of things' last night was very impressive. I think Simpson is a terrific coach - having spent a week shadowing him back in 2015 I really admire and appreciate the way he goes about things, particularly given the inexperienced assistant coaches he had back then - and the way he was able to generate a response from them after quarter time last night was very impressive.

They lost, but can hold their heads high. I can't stop going back to last week, but I really want to know where the fight was from our players in a pretty similar situation???

GVGjr
14-09-2019, 10:05 AM
I can't stop going back to last week, but I really want to know where the fight was from our players in a pretty similar situation???

This is the main thing for me. There are just too many examples where teams came out and jumped us and we didn't seem to have the answers. North, Saints and GWS are recent examples and to make matters worse apparently we knew they were going to tag JJ and Hunter and go hard at Bontempelli physically and yet we it still seemed to catch us unaware. There is also a question about why we don't feel the need to employ the tagging option more ourselves

If history tells us anything other clubs will now look at the option of going hard at us physically. Remember when JJ first got tagged and it wasn't long before most teams did that to us. We either need to recruit a a couple of tough nuts, hope that Liberatore and maybe Wallis address that area or work on developing a couple of current players to have that hard edge about them

It's going to be very interesting to see how or if we respond

bornadog
14-09-2019, 10:35 AM
This is the main thing for me. There are just too many examples where teams came out and jumped us and we didn't seem to have the answers. North, Saints and GWS are recent examples and to make matters worse apparently we knew they were going to tag JJ and Hunter and go hard at Bontempelli physically and yet we it still seemed to catch us unaware. There is also a question about why we don't feel the need to employ the tagging option more ourselves

If history tells us anything other clubs will now look at the option of going hard at us physically. Remember when JJ first got tagged and it wasn't long before most teams did that to us. We either need to recruit a a couple of tough nuts, hope that Liberatore and maybe Wallis address that area or work on developing a couple of current players to have that hard edge about them

I think we will respond in the future as our young bodies mature. Guys like Smith, Naughton have attitude and aren't afraid to stand up, however at 18 and 19 years old, they don't have the strength in their bodies. JJ will never be a player like that, but Cordy we know is. Hopefully we learnt a lesson last week.

comrade
14-09-2019, 10:57 AM
I think we will respond in the future as our young bodies mature. Guys like Smith, Naughton have attitude and aren't afraid to stand up, however at 18 and 19 years old, they don't have the strength in their bodies. JJ will never be a player like that, but Cordy we know is. Hopefully we learnt a lesson last week.

I hope you're right. WC are a much older and more experienced side than us, and I also rate GWS higher than Geelong, so the task of getting back into our game was a lot tougher than it was for the Eagles.

But honestly, after taking the lead, how did the Eagles let it slip and get beaten by almost 4 goals? They should have romped home with the momentum, the better midfield, the dominant ruckman etc. Their defence - McGov and Barrass especially - was an absolute shambles and made Young & Cordy's efforts from last week look AA-like.

Rocket Science
14-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Why would he punch Neale? They are on the same team!

Guilty of vague syntax there ... the second part of the sentence was aimed at GWS.

Robbo's a psycho but he's not *that* psycho.

Thankfully they've a handy substitute in Robertson who won't shirk anything willing.

mjp
14-09-2019, 11:02 AM
Their defence - McGov and Barrass especially - was an absolute shambles

It doesn't matter how good your defenders are if the ball LIVES in your backline.

I know you said WC had the better midfield? Well, not last night they didn't. Your point about them hitting the front is a reference to q3 really and q3 was a false dawn. They were competing well but Geelong were dominating the ball - I think 15 i50's to 10 for the q (though I haven't gone back to check) but WC kicked goals on 50% of their entries...

My point was even in the last q they genuinely fought it out and there were just no over the back bs scores (though I guess you could say the Bews goal was a bit like that...but that was from a Parfitt mis-kick not a pass).

GVGjr
14-09-2019, 11:53 AM

I dont necessarily buy the argument that youth is the catchall excuse that explains losses or in this case a lack of vigour. Yes of course we can get better but in a lot of examples we knew they would come out hard in the first quarter but we still didn't seem prepared for it

Sedat
14-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Could not agree more with this and MJP's post. The way we approached last week was simply not to the required level, and it wasn't an isolated occurrence in 2019. All 17 other teams have filed it away and will test us physically to the limit next year and beyond until we respond positively.

I get the commentary on Greene (scratching my head at the Himmelberg outrage, which happens most weeks and the precedent set has been a fine, which is what he got) but I am a little tired of hearing about how big bad GWS beat up on us last week. We should have been on high alert from the start but we simply let it happen and meekly accepted our fate. For mine that is by far the biggest take-out from the game.

I'm dirty we aren't all looking forward to a final in Brisbane tonight - we are good enough and didn't put our best foot forward last week. It's not about throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but we were good enough to qualify for finals in 2019 and there are no guarantees in the future.

Eastdog
14-09-2019, 08:31 PM
I hate gws!!!

chef
14-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Charlie Cameron season over?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-09-2019, 08:51 PM
Charlie Cameron season over?

Not even this Qtr over!

GVGjr
14-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Good luck to Marcus Adams and San Reid tonight

chef
14-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Not even this Qtr over!

Haha whoops

comrade
14-09-2019, 09:01 PM
Would have been nice to get some of the frees they’re paying tonight.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Good to see the Lions, immediately not accept any garbage from GWS.
Even prepared to give away early free's, in order to stand their ground.
Wish our lads had've done the same.

A pity the umps are only this week paying closer attention to GWS infringements, in particular Greene.

Grantysghost
14-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Amazing what happens when you stand up to bullies (and tag Whitfield)

The Pie Man
14-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Here for Zorko slamming Greene into the turf, could watch on repeat

bulldogtragic
14-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Amazing what happens when you stand up to bullies (and tag Whitfield)

Was about to say exactly that. Makes you wonder why we didn't do either.

azabob
14-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Jeremy Finlason is on par with Jeremy Cameron and just behind Toby Greene on my dislike list.

AndrewP6
14-09-2019, 09:13 PM
The fawning over Greene is sickening. I don't watch much non Bulldogs footy, this is another reason why.

AndrewP6
14-09-2019, 09:21 PM
Umpire just gave a warning that hitting Cameron's arm again after being warned would result in a free kick. Fair dinkum, they want respect...

azabob
14-09-2019, 09:30 PM
Harris Andrews making a few mistakes

azabob
14-09-2019, 09:39 PM
How is Cameron Ling still part of the commentary team.

The Pie Man
14-09-2019, 09:42 PM
Some of the umpiring that quarter was atrocious

bulldogtragic
14-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Beat the shit out of me. When did Jobe Watson Ch7 join to say painfully obvious things? Grooming him to take over from Ling?

hujsh
14-09-2019, 09:48 PM

He meets their standards exactly.

comrade
14-09-2019, 10:01 PM
Here’s (https://mobile.twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/status/1172823413481623552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1172823413481623552&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.m in.html%231172823413481623552) some footage of the ‘extremely apologetic’ Greene seemingly whacking Neale while he was face down on the ground and not expecting it. Keep playing on the edge Tobes.

bornadog
14-09-2019, 10:24 PM
What a bunch of dirty pricks this GWS team is. AFL created and allowed this

comrade
14-09-2019, 10:33 PM
Razor Ray just can’t help inserting himself in the most marginal moments possible.

bornadog
14-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Razor Ray just can’t help inserting himself in the most marginal moments possible.

That last free was not there

Rocket Science
14-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Impossible not to love the way Brisbane have stood up these front-running arseholes.

Drowning in jealousy.

Fail you wretched fluoro league-sanctioned pricks.

josie
14-09-2019, 10:36 PM
Go Lions. Beat this pack pathetic bunch of self entitled dirty little idiots and send them home with their plastic tails between their legs. I know that folks do not like how many free kicks have been given but at least some of the holding behind play by the plastics was seen and punished early on. Unlike last week when Macrae etc often had one arm held without any response from umps. I

Did I see Thug Green clutch at a lions’ player’s face in first half in a pack?

hujsh
14-09-2019, 10:43 PM
Martin giving Mumford a bath. Hope he's not hurt

hujsh
14-09-2019, 10:56 PM
Brisbane dominating and nothing to show for it. Very familiar. Hope it doesn't come back to bite them

hujsh
14-09-2019, 11:00 PM
There we go. Finally!

macca
14-09-2019, 11:09 PM
Daniel steals a goal in last 2 mins
I hate them

Eastdog
14-09-2019, 11:10 PM
Bloody Giants!

They are one of my most hated teams!

Rocket Science
14-09-2019, 11:13 PM
https://i.ibb.co/8cvZpv5/Screen-Shot-2019-09-14-at-10-13-05-pm.png (https://ibb.co/dgCYqC2)

Geelong AND GWS advancing?

Footy can get thoroughly stuffed.

soupman
14-09-2019, 11:33 PM
That was awesome. Finally a truly fantastic final.

Obviously not the result anyone here wanted, but I think I came out of tonight with more respect for GWS.

Yes they are dickheads, and that was on full display tonight, but their intensity, their aggression and their ability to stand up and absorb everything Brisbane threw at them and close that game out was seriously impressive. That goal from Daniel was great.

Brisbane were also very good but their last 10 minutes were so dumb. Repetitively bombing the ball to Christensen and an injured Cameron against a much taller and very physical GWS backline was so frustrating. They had to take a risk and try and change the angle, or run the ball further forward, basically anything different. Also were way too willing to allow the ball to get locked up in those last couple of minutes.

Shit result, but we know GWS are going to bring it against Collingwood next week. I am genuinely excited to watch it.

bornadog
14-09-2019, 11:36 PM
I think Brisbane lost that rather than GWS won. 19 inside 50 in the last for a poor return, the continual bombing the ball straight to GWS. Two posters didn't help either.

soupman
14-09-2019, 11:40 PM
I think Brisbane lost that rather than GWS won. 19 inside 50 in the last for a poor return, the continual bombing the ball straight to GWS. Two posters didn't help either.

Nah you can frame it that way but i disagree.

If you replace GWS with the Bulldogs then all the chatter is about how in an opponents den where we had a mere fraction of the supporters we ground out the hard ball, we shut down their main movers we forced them to kick down the line to our intercept markers and how when we went down the other end we took our chances.

Brisbane could have been smarter, but framing it as a Brisbane loss instead of a GWS victory does the Giants a huge disservice.

Axe Man
18-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Whitfield out of the Prelim with an appendicitis.

KT31
18-09-2019, 12:40 PM
GWS star Lachie Whitfield out of prelim final with appendicitis
Nathan Schmook
PerthNow
September 18, 2019 11:13AM
TOPICS
GWS Giants
Collingwood Magpies
The Game
GWS Giants star Lachie Whitfield has been ruled out of Saturday’s preliminary final against Collingwood with appendicitis in a significant blow to the club’s premiership push.

Whitfield has been hospitalised and will undergo surgery, with the injury coming on the back of teammate Toby Greene’s one-match suspension, which will be appealed on Thursday night.

GWS coach Leon Cameron confirmed that Whitfield would miss at least one match.

“We’re confident it will just be one week. He obviously can’t play this weekend but we’ll be doing everything in our power to win this weekend and give him the opportunity to return if we progress,” Cameron said on Wednesday morning.

“It is what it is, these things happen. His health is more important than any game of footy.

“This group is very adaptable and we’ve learned to deal with lots of setbacks over the years.

Whitfield has been among the Giants’ most important players this season, averaging 27.8 disposals and 3.7 inside 50s as a hard-running midfielder who can push forward or into defence when needed.

He was considered unlucky to miss selection in the All-Australian squad, with a broken collarbone mi-season sidelining him for four matches.

Cameron said star midfielder Stephen Coniglio would also miss the preliminary final as he pushes to return from a serious knee injury.

“Stephen Coniglio trained well Saturday but doesn’t have enough load to play this weekend, we’ll assess again next week if we progress through.”

More to come

jazzadogs
18-09-2019, 02:40 PM
I hope he recovers well, and that has absence contributes to them being absolutely annihilated.

Mofra
18-09-2019, 03:21 PM
GWS have never won a game in which both Greene and Whitfield have missed. Huge stat.

Rocket Science
18-09-2019, 03:53 PM
GWS have never won a game in which both Greene and Whitfield have missed. Huge stat.

*orders a jumbo bag of popcorn*

1eyedog
18-09-2019, 04:22 PM
3 from 17 at the G doesn't help them. No Whitfield is devastating for them.

mjp
18-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Are they seriously saying he will miss just one week after an emergency appendectomy?

Well, that would be impressive. And - should they get past Collingwood - they would be potentially adding Coniglio, Greene and Whitfield to a team that won a prelim?

comrade
18-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Are they seriously saying he will miss just one week after an emergency appendectomy?

Well, that would be impressive. And - should they get past Collingwood - they would be potentially adding Coniglio, Greene and Whitfield to a team that won a prelim?

Don’t even...

Dry Rot
20-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Both GWS Fans Descend On MCG For Prelim Final
The Shovel

GWS Giants fans have swamped Melbourne ahead of Saturday’s clash with Collingwood, with both saying they are hopeful of a grand final berth for their team.

Virgin and Qantas considered putting on extra flights to accommodate the influx of Giants fans, but later confirmed they were able to find half an aisle free on an existing flight.

GWS fan Josh Leech – whose wife Sarah is also a fan – said he hoped ticketing arrangements would allow all of the GWS fans to sit together, to create maximum impact. “We’ve asked the MCG whether they can organise both seats together. It can be a pretty intimidating site for an opposition player to look up and be confronted with a sea of orange”.

Sarah Leech – whose husband Josh is also fan – said the GWS cheer squad would march to the ground together. “Josh might duck of to get a record while I hold the flags, but otherwise we’ll be a unified force. Collingwood doesn’t know what’s going to hit them”.

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2019/09/20/both-gws-fans-descend-on-mcg-for-prelim-final/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=both_gws_fans_descend_on_mcg_for_prelim_final&utm_term=2019-09-20

Mofra
20-09-2019, 11:47 AM

Didn't Bont only miss a week?

Axe Man
20-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Missed 2 games - appendix removed on Tuesday 11th July, played again on Sunday the 29th (against Port in Ballarat - bet he wished he had given it 1 more week!).

KT31
20-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Dale Morris had his taken out at half time during one game, played second half and received the BOG.:D

soupman
20-09-2019, 12:50 PM
Anyone else think GWS could still win the whole thing?

I'm just getting 2016/2017 vibes about them with complete playing group buy in and fringe players like Brent Daniels playing beyond normal levels. Collingwood I think are still a bit vulnerable, and with the sheer talent they have at the top end GWS are a big chance of taking the whole thing out.

Obviously it isn't my preference, but I just feel like they are going to do it, even without Greene and Whitfield this week.

Mofra
20-09-2019, 12:53 PM

I'm just getting 2016/2017 vibes about them with complete playing group buy in and fringe players like brent Daniels playing beyond normal levels. Collingwood I think are still a bit vulnerable, and with the sheer talent they have at the to end GWS are a big chance of taking the whole thing out.

Obviously it isn't my preference, but I just feel like they are going to do it, even without Greene and Whitfield this week.
Potentially, with Keefe offering Mumford support.

Grundy is the ace-card here. Mummy can't go with him around the ground. If Grundy fires, Pies win. I'm not convinced by GWS' MCG record either.

Twodogs
20-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Potentially, with Keefe offering Mumford support.

Grundy is the ace-card here. Mummy can't go with him around the ground. If Grundy fires, Pies win. I'm not convinced by GWS' MCG record either.

I reckon that Tomlinson is the ace in the hole. If he can give Mumford a realistic chop out and help around the ground with a few touches that will go a long way to helping GWS over the line.

Bulldog4life
20-09-2019, 01:13 PM

I'm just getting 2016/2017 vibes about them with complete playing group buy in and fringe players like Brent Daniels playing beyond normal levels. Collingwood I think are still a bit vulnerable, and with the sheer talent they have at the top end GWS are a big chance of taking the whole thing out.

Personally I would be surprised if GWS beat Collingwood at the MCG especially with those 2 players out. Time will tell but c'mon Pies.

jeemak
20-09-2019, 01:23 PM

Since the elimination final I was pretty concerned. The semi final performance was also excellent and I don't see why they couldn't give it a shake.

None of the teams seem to be clearly above the others.

Rocket Science
20-09-2019, 02:23 PM
Not sure which I want more; GWS failing in another prelim, or GWS making a granny and failing then.

So torn.

comrade
20-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Time to get back in the saddle and start rooting.

Richmond to demolish Geelong, with plenty of camera cuts to Chris Scott pouting all night and Harry Taylor limping off the ground after another failed finals series.

GWS to lose in agonising fashion, with Jeremy Cameron and/or Phil Davis making a game losing mistake late in Q4.

hujsh
20-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Not sure which I want more; GWS failing in another prelim, or GWS making a granny and failing then.

So torn.

I'd like to think we saddled them with our prelim curse in 2016. I hope that continues

Sedat
20-09-2019, 02:35 PM

So torn.
Win the PF and lose the GF guarantees a worse draft position for the Bombers. Having said that, i don't want them anywhere near the GF. But then again I hate the black and white filth - living in Melbourne will be unbearable if they win it.

It's a shallow pool indeed when Richmond are comfortably the most palatable premiership option.

GVGjr
20-09-2019, 02:38 PM
I know Twodogs doesn't rate Richmond but I've been so impressed with how their performances haven't fallen away since the 2017 flag.
I'd love to know what they have done differently to us

bornadog
20-09-2019, 03:07 PM
I know Twodogs doesn't rate Richmond but I've been so impressed with how their performances haven't fallen away since the 2017 flag.
I'd love to know what they have done differently to us

Very little injury and have not lost any major players.

GVGjr
20-09-2019, 03:17 PM

I think that's a touch simplistic explanation and it doesn't do justice to their achievements.
Other than the success of the medical department their game plan also hasn't been picked apart like ours was and they have managed the loss of critical players like Rance better than most teams

There is more to their success than just injury and list management

chef
20-09-2019, 03:28 PM

Richmond to demolish Geelong, with plenty of camera cuts to Chris Scott pouting all night and Harry Taylor limping off the ground after another failed finals series.

GWS to lose in agonising fashion, with Jeremy Cameron and/or Phil Davis making a game losing mistake late in Q4.

I may have missed it, but why do we hate Harry?

KT31
20-09-2019, 03:29 PM

Well for starters he doesn't play for us.

azabob
20-09-2019, 03:43 PM

Very little injury? What about the first half of 2019?

bornadog
20-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Very little injury? What about the first half of 2019?

Yeah, and how did they go?

Grantysghost
20-09-2019, 04:37 PM
And a draw from heaven every season.

bornadog
20-09-2019, 05:10 PM

After a win against us a few years ago, Harry kept sledging the players and the club as we walked off. I mean the game is over FFS, just STFU.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2019, 09:26 PM
Hate Geelong.

Anyone but them!

Testekill
20-09-2019, 09:47 PM
C'mon meteor

bornadog
20-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Hate Geelong.

Anyone but them!

Looking like they are going to win

Sedat
20-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Hate Geelong.

Anyone but them!
Chris Scott hhas coached the pants off Hardwick so far.

Grantysghost
20-09-2019, 10:08 PM
Keepings off and pressure in forward half. So far Tigers no answer. That 50 was so costly. Dusty only runs one way.

Grantysghost
20-09-2019, 10:09 PM
After a win against us a few years ago, Harry kept sledging the players and the club as we walked off. I mean the game is over FFS, just STFU.

Didn't he have ham down his pants for a game for some reason. He's a different unit.

jeemak
20-09-2019, 10:16 PM
Wow, pretty sure when you jump and get pushed in the middle to lower back the top half of your body is levered to go backwards, and not bend forwards so your forehead almost hits your knees! Something like that would only happen if you know, you weren't really pushed and you were just staging for a free kick.

The fifty was just salt in the wound, clearly players thought the free was going to Houli but Ray being Ray he couldn't read the moment, rather, he just wanted be the moment.

Credit to Geelong working harder though, Richmond need to use the ball better.

Remi Moses
20-09-2019, 10:18 PM
I think that's a touch simplistic explanation and it doesn't do justice to their achievements.
Other than the success of the medical department their game plan also hasn't been picked apart like ours was and they have managed the loss of critical players like Rance better than most teams

There is more to their success than just injury and list management

It has been significant though G . They had injuries until about round 13 this year and they were out of the 8 .
Top end players in their peak of their powers also . We had top end young players and some veterans. Credit to them to keep the hunger

Sedat
20-09-2019, 11:26 PM
Thank God for that.

Gutsy win by Richmond - reckon a few of them were jabbed up at half time. The hyperbaric chamber will be getting a solid workout this week.

bornadog
20-09-2019, 11:31 PM
Thank God for that.

Gutsy win by Richmond - reckon a few of them were jabbed up at half time. The hyperbaric chamber will be getting a solid workout this week.

How weak were Geelong, infact their last 12 games they won 6 and lost 6

comrade
20-09-2019, 11:37 PM
Prelim number 5 for Danger.

Sedat
20-09-2019, 11:37 PM
How weak were Geelong, infact their last 12 games they won 6 and lost 6
Poor 2nd half. Had no answers at all for the Richmond wave.

Dangerfield had a dreadful 2nd half but we won't hear anything about it from the media. And they will lose Kelly, who was their best player by far tonight.

Prestia and Houli were fantastic tonight.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2019, 11:38 PM
Kelly walking out. Ablett & Taylor both gone? Henderson, Selwood & Hawkins 32yo. Stanley, Tuohy & Danger 30+. Recruits Dahl & Rohan didn’t stand up under pressure. Higgins & Goldstein knocked them back.

Footy porn.

Sedat
20-09-2019, 11:38 PM
Prelim number 5 for Danger.
Best stat of the night.

bornadog
20-09-2019, 11:49 PM
Kelly walking out. Ablett & Taylor both gone? Henderson, Selwood & Hawkins 32yo. Stanley, Tuohy & Danger 30+. Recruits Dahl & Rohan didn’t stand up under pressure. Higgins & Goldstein knocked them back.

Footy porn.

All that non recruiting of young players are coming home to roost

bulldogtragic
20-09-2019, 11:53 PM
If we traded pick 12 for Keath & 21. We offered pick 21 up on a player...

Would Danger entertain a trade? He’s not going to win a flag there?
Would Geelong entertain a good pick and forgo his last three years of footy?
Would we entertain giving up a good pick for three years of his footy?

The answer is no. But if he wants a flag, we are the best option close to home. Geelong should get something for him if they are ever going to rebuild.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2019, 11:54 PM
All that non recruiting of young players are coming home to roost

Yep. I wonder if they wake up to themselves and start this year?

Probably not.

MrMahatma
20-09-2019, 11:57 PM
Yep. I wonder if they wake up to themselves and start this year?

Probably not.

To be fair, they were 3 goals + up in a prelim.... they’re doing a fair bit right.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2019, 12:09 AM
To be fair, they were 3 goals + up in a prelim.... they’re doing a fair bit right.

I think this was their last shot tonight. They missed. All those high traded picks all but burned up, and they next level down talent is not awe inspiring.

macca
21-09-2019, 12:45 AM
Best stat of the night.
His consistent 5 of the best prelims to watch

macca
21-09-2019, 12:50 AM
Some of the players they let go have come good : Hamling and McCarthy
I hope we chase constable . He played 7 of the 9 games at the stArt of the season
191cm / 86 kg midfielder. Big bodied mid

jeemak
21-09-2019, 02:12 AM
It was interesting to hear on the commentary post game that some believed Geelong needed to add experienced players to continue to perform at a high level ongoing. Perhaps that's actually right, but if they couldn't get it done with this group of players which players who are available to trade in can actually be better than the ones going out or declining? What would they have to spend to get hold of them?

What do they actually have to spend?

Chris Scott can coach. He's a bit of a dick sometimes, but he can. What would he be like if the Geelong management actually gave him a green light to rebuild like we all think he should? His players seem to play for him, irrespective of how we view them they do irrespective of their personal flaws, so can he actually get a refreshed or rebuilt list to do the same?

I bloody hate them, but you actually need to give credit to them for continually being either a bit short of the mark or thereabouts - after all, you can't win it if you're not (2016 aside, but we were clearly either the best or second best side that year when fit and proved it when it mattered). A lot of the commentary and adulation for them is afforded based on that. Perhaps there's a lot a club like ours could learn from the way they go about things

GVGjr
21-09-2019, 07:50 AM
Some of the players they let go have come good : Hamling and McCarthy
I hope we chase Constable . He played 7 of the 9 games at the start of the season
191cm / 86 kg midfielder. Big bodied mid

While I rate Constable I'd be a bit surprised if we were that interested and if Geelong would consider letting him go without a very good player coming in or unless someone was prepared to pay overs for him like a first round draft pick

Grantysghost
21-09-2019, 08:06 AM
Poor 2nd half. Had no answers at all for the Richmond wave.

Dangerfield had a dreadful 2nd half but we won't hear anything about it from the media. And they will lose Kelly, who was their best player by far tonight.

Prestia and Houli were fantastic tonight.

Why wasnt he played in the guts? I had friends at the game and they were apoplectic as he was playing forward a lot second half.

Hotdog60
21-09-2019, 08:16 AM
I know Martin supposedly copped an injury early but he wouldn't chase and put the pressure on last night.
If didn't get the first touch there was no second or third efforts.
I wonder if he thinks he's above the basics.

Bulldog4life
21-09-2019, 09:11 AM

Disappointed there wasn't enough shots of Scott.

GVGjr
21-09-2019, 11:10 AM
It has been significant though G . They had injuries until about round 13 this year and they were out of the 8 .
Top end players in their peak of their powers also . We had top end young players and some veterans. Credit to them to keep the hunger

They certainly didn't get distracted once they one the flag. I look at them and think if we had been a top four team for the 2 years after winning the flag we would have 50K plus members. Thankfully the the President and the team have put us in such a stronger position financially though than ever before

The bulldog tragician
21-09-2019, 11:58 AM
It’s been a lacklustre finals series. Not many close or exciting matches, or brilliant footy. The most interesting match between GWS and Lions tarnished by the presence of Greene and the fact that he shouldn’t have been out there.

Last night...When Richmond lifted the Cats wilted so quickly. It never felt like they would win even when it was technically possible. Their skills were so poor at times, you wondered how they were top four, but again and again they get flattered by their advantage at Taxpayer Stadium.

Dangerfield would have to be disappointed that not only has he played in another losing PF but that he himself contributed to that loss by fading so badly when the heat was on.

bornadog
21-09-2019, 02:45 PM
It’s been a lacklustre finals series. Not many close or exciting matches, or brilliant footy. The most interesting match between GWS and Lions tarnished by the presence of Greene and the fact that he shouldn’t have been out there.

Last night...When Richmond lifted the Cats wilted so quickly. It never felt like they would win even when it was technically possible. Their skills were so poor at times, you wondered how they were top four, but again and again they get flattered by their advantage at Taxpayer Stadium.

Dangerfield would have to be disappointed that not only has he played in another losing PF but that he himself contributed to that loss by fading so badly when the heat was on.

I thought at half time the cats had them, but as you say they just wilted and couldn't get the ball anywhere near their forward line.

jeemak
21-09-2019, 06:08 PM
GWS have certainly come to play, just not able to convert their dominance in territory into goals.

I wish they could just cancel the season.

Remi Moses
21-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Davis down
I think Richo’s not a great reader of lips
Clearly says Calf

comrade
21-09-2019, 06:49 PM
What a snore fest.

Rocket Science
21-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Strewth she's hot in the kitchen, it's gruelling viewing.

Come on you black and white bastards. Do it for Roughy.

Twodogs
21-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Come on Toughie, do it for Collingwood!

Sedat
21-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Serious preformance so far by GWS. And they get Greene, Whitfield and Coniglio back next week.

chef
21-09-2019, 07:23 PM
I dont care if it feels dirty, go giants. What an amazing effort from them so far, phenomenal.

DOG GOD
21-09-2019, 07:26 PM
Hmm could’ve been Rich vs Coll build up to grand final

Instead

Rich vs GWS

And just watch Greene win the norm smith next week.

I have zero interest in watching that snoozefest

DOG GOD
21-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Can’t wait to see the smug look on Greene’s face when the siren sounds :(

DOG GOD
21-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Is Brandon Ellis going to be at the Tigers next year ?
His job next week, take Greene to the hospital

DOG GOD
21-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Game over, I feel sick to think the plastics are in a GF

Rocket Science
21-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Did we inadvertently spark these fluoro pricks into action by pantsing them a month ago?

The Pies are gone.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2019, 07:34 PM
70,000 GF crowd.

Awesome.

jeemak
21-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Credit where it's due, the Giants have really put work into the Pies midfield much like they did ours and the Pies haven't had the answers.

Supposing the Giants go on with it that third quarter will go down as one of the finest in AFL history.

angelopetraglia
21-09-2019, 07:46 PM
GWS. Wowee. So good seeing Pies lose like this.

It looks like we ran into the wrong team.

josie
21-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Credit where it's due, the Giants have really put work into the Pies midfield much like they did ours and the Pies haven't had the answers.

Supposing the Giants go on with it that third quarter will go down as one of the finest in AFL history.

You mean the most boring. What a yawn fest of a preliminary.

angelopetraglia
21-09-2019, 07:47 PM
70,000 GF crowd.

Awesome.

Richmond fans could fill the MCG more than once.

jeemak
21-09-2019, 08:03 PM
You mean the most boring. What a yawn fest of a preliminary.

You were saying?

Rocket Science
21-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Well this is getting interesting.

BREAK THEIR HEARTS PIES

bulldogtragic
21-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Please Collingwood do it. Please.

DOG GOD
21-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Wow didn’t see this coming. Go pies

chef
21-09-2019, 08:06 PM
Haha i jinxed them. Pies look likely now.

KT31
21-09-2019, 08:16 PM
#%}{, #%}{, #%}{

Rocket Science
21-09-2019, 08:16 PM
This shit sandwich tastes a lot like shit.

hujsh
21-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Mayne's shot that didn't even make the distance the difference in the end

josie
You were saying?

Ha ha. I turned it off. Then I checked score 14 mins to go and turned it back in again. Bloody plastics. Go the Tiggers!!

jeemak
How was the score review that missed the touched ball. Not sure how something like that gets missed.

Vred
21-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Rcnmkns, destroy these plastic *!*!*!*!s

chef
21-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Heart breaking for the Pies but how resilient from the Giants. Geez they play some tough footy.

Sedat
21-09-2019, 08:20 PM
How was the score review that missed the touched ball. Not sure how something like that gets missed.
Because AFEL

I'm actually happy the Giants won - could not stand the Pies benefitting from a goal review fark up. The Pies are the filth and always will be. I reckon GWS will get smashed next week but if they somehow manage to beat Richmond they've well and truly earned the flag.

And of course Essendon's draft position has been smashed to buggery.