PDA

View Full Version : Dale Morris retires

KT31
30-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Sad day but the correct decision.

Morris announces retirement
Aug 30, 2019 11:00AM

After 15 years at the highest level, the 36-year-old premiership player and All-Australian has made the decision to retire after 253 games. - Western Bulldogs
After 15 years at the highest level, the 36-year-old premiership player and All-Australian has made the decision to retire after 253 games.
The storied career of one of the most revered players in Western Bulldogs history, Dale Morris, has come to an end.

After 15 years at the highest level, the 36-year-old premiership player and All-Australian has made the decision to retire after 253 games.

Morris leaves the game as one of the most respected footballers of the modern era; a shining example of perseverance, willpower, skill, determination and sacrifice.

He has become a fine ambassador for the Western Bulldogs and the game of AFL, a remarkably reliable team-mate, and a wonderful role model for the next generation of players and fans.

“Everyone who knows me knows that if I could play footy forever, I would. I just love the game so much,” Morris said.

“But unfortunately that’s not possible for any footballer, and although it was a tough decision for me to make, the time has come for me to finish my playing career.

“Since injuring my knee I’ve had some time to reflect with my wife Gem, my boys Riley and Charlie, my family and friends, and those closest to me at the Club. I’m at peace with the decision to retire and I’m looking forward to what life after playing will bring.

“Going through this process has allowed me to reflect on my career, and how grateful I am to have had the incredible support of so many people at this great club – the coaches, support staff, medical and rehab staff, my wonderful team-mates, and of course, our amazing fans.

“It has truly been an honour to represent the Western Bulldogs for the last 15 years. I’ll take so many treasured memories with me.”

A refusal to give up on his AFL dream ultimately allowed Morris to play the game he loves for so long.

He spent four years of toiling in the VFL with Werribee before he was finally given a chance on the Bulldogs’ rookie list at the end of 2004. He went at pick 19 in that year’s Rookie Draft.

Morris made his debut in Round 5 in 2005 and barely missed a game in his first nine seasons.

Later in his career, injuries took their toll. A broken back, leg and arm, and two ACL injuries threatened to prematurely end his career, but every time he willed himself to return to the field.

A third ACL injury in Round 19 this season was to be his final act in the red, white and blue.

“Dale is one of the most resilient and positive characters I’ve met in football, who has been an exceptional footballer for such a long period of time,” said Bulldogs’ coach Luke Beveridge.

“Everything Dale does has a selfless edge. He always wants to make people around him better, and that’s a tremendous quality in such a competitive and demanding sport.

“He is loved and admired by everyone at the Western Bulldogs for his incredible deeds on the football field and for the way he carries himself in everyday life.

“Dale has made the Western Bulldogs a better place over the last 15 years, and his legacy will live on forever.”

bulldogtragic
30-08-2019, 12:13 PM
There goes my hero, watch him as he goes. There goes my hero, he's ordinary.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2019, 12:13 PM
#DoItForDale

Mofra
30-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Farewell. Expected but still sad news.

I'd love to find a way to keep him at the club next year in an off field role.

Vred
30-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Don't be upset that his leaving
Celebrate all his done for us
We will always be a better place for everything Morris has done for the club

Enjoy retirement mate, you have, 150% deserved it. Look forward to seeing you coach our backline for years to come

Grantysghost
30-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Retired: never beaten.

comrade
30-08-2019, 12:23 PM
One of my all time favourites & an absolute all time Bulldogs legend.

The tackle on Buddy will go down as one of the greatest moments in our history.

merantau
30-08-2019, 12:30 PM
Great player, great person. Thanks for everything Dale. I hope to see you continue with the Club is a coaching/mentoring role in the future.

The Doctor
30-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Thank you Dale Morris. Legend.

kruder
30-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Time to commission the bronze statue...

Hotdog60
30-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Bob's interview with Dale here:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-08-30/morris-announces-retirement?camefrom=EMCL_3041108_145424386

angelopetraglia
30-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Was there for his first game. What an absolute pleasure to see him play his footy. One of my favourite ever players to pull on the red, white and blue. In a fierce contest there is no other player I have trusted more to get his job done.

Gave everything he had every single week. Squeezed every last inch out of his God given talent. Will never forget his overall contribution to the club and his tackle on Buddy in the GF will be a vivid memory until I die.

Thanks Moz.

Rocket Science
30-08-2019, 12:40 PM
IMMORTAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XksWfbV4Z4E

Twodogs
30-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Thanks for every effort, block, kick mark, handball and tackle Dale. But thanks especially for that tackle at about 5 o clock on 1/10/16. It might just be the most glorious thing I have ever seen on a football field. Or anywhere.

chef
30-08-2019, 12:50 PM
:(

Thank you for everything Dale. A true legend and Bullgod.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2019, 01:14 PM
I've been dreading this day for a few years, but accept this time comes for all eventually. Without a doubt Dale is my favourite Bulldog of all time. He was not the most naturally gifted, but is the personification of persistance, dedication, selflessness, and integrity. He exemplifies all of the attributes one could wish upon their children.
I sincerely hope we retain Moz in an official capacity at the club. He would be the perfect mentor for the next generation of Bulldogs coming through.

All the very best Dale, and thank you for all that you've given and sacrificed over the years in the quest of helping us to achieve success.

comrade
30-08-2019, 01:20 PM
I've been dreading this day for a few years, but accept this time comes for all eventually. Without a doubt Dale is my favourite Bulldog of all time. He was not the most naturally gifted, but is the personification of persistance, dedication, selflessness, and integrity. He exemplifies all of the attributes one could wish upon their children.
I sincerely hope we retain Moz in an official capacity at the club. He would be the perfect mentor for the next generation of Bulldogs coming through.

All the very best Dale, and thank you for all that you've given and sacrificed over the years in the quest of helping us to achieve success.

Bevo mentioned at the presser that they're in discussions about a coaching role next season.

cinder
30-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Just the most unassuming and humble guy, a rare gem really. Certainly the end of an era, just loved watching him all these years, and of course THAT tackle!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-08-2019, 01:31 PM
He was interviewed before our first final in 2016 when we were thinking that a trip to Perth was the worst and he said “I can’t wait” with a grin. - he is so positive. When he last played in the VFL he was pretty much coaching the back line group so I hope he will coach if nothing else to pass on his attitude. Just love him

comrade
30-08-2019, 01:34 PM
He’d have played until he was 50 if we let him. In an era when the sport has become more job-like for the players, it was refreshing to see someone like Moz just love every moment.

whythelongface
30-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Moz is one of a kind. He will be back at the club next in some shape or form. He is the fabric of this club and part of the reason we have such a strong culture. Don't think words can adequately describe how important Moz actually is.

Topdog
30-08-2019, 01:45 PM
IMMORTAL.

Thankyou Dale for that moment, forever etched in my memory. Go on and live your life you BullGod!

Murphy'sLore
30-08-2019, 02:10 PM
There will never be another Dale Morris. Along with Liam Picken, he embodied the spirit of the Bulldog. Superbly courageous but never flashy, the ultimate team player. What an incredible human being (I still think, despite rumours to the contrary, he is actually human).

Also a very good-looking man!

1eyedog
30-08-2019, 02:25 PM
God luck and good speed you absolute legend.

josie
30-08-2019, 02:35 PM
My mini dogs flag with your signature is now even more treasured. Love ya Morry!! (Lunch on Tuesday?) Gee I hope, as others have said, he can play an off field role sometime soon. Along with Picko & West Senior one of my all time faves. Such a big bulldog heart. And such a sweet demeanour and great clubman.

ReLoad
30-08-2019, 02:49 PM
Farewell. Expected but still sad news.

I'd love to find a way to keep him at the club next year in an off field role.

Its funny you say that, but im of the opposite opinion, imagine #superdale spending a couple of years under a quality coach/person such as John Longmire, or Alistair Clarkson, just like what Matthew Boyd is doing under Buckley, it will equip him even more.

They guy is a gem of a human, and he is one of us to the absolute core, lets empower him to become even more superhuman.

The Pie Man
30-08-2019, 02:58 PM
I've got one of the 2016 finals balls from Rebel (and 2015 - all I can think of when I see that though is Talia)
Planning on carrying it around with me in the off chance I can run into Dale so I can ask him to write 'you're welcome' on it.

I don't know any of these people, but the club means everything to us, and by every single account he made it a better place.

Be like Dale

Thanks Moz

bornadog
30-08-2019, 03:17 PM
What a champ, what a legend, thank you Moz, one of the best defenders to put on the RWB

Daughter of the West
30-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Thank you Moz.

Thank you for every ounce of yourself (and more) that you poured into the Bulldogs. Thank you for THAT tackle, and every other tackle, chase, niggle and defence manoeuvre that didn't attract the same attention. The Men's Department will never be quite the same.

bornadog
30-08-2019, 04:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo5deNH3m54

Very emotional

Rocket Science
30-08-2019, 05:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo5deNH3m54

Very emotional

A salient reminder for the boys.

It doesn't last forever, not even if you're Dale Morris. So grab your chances with both hands.

Mantis
30-08-2019, 05:33 PM
The ultimate team player.. selfless, dependable, agile... the list goes on.

What a great career it's been.

bornadog
30-08-2019, 05:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ueCcMN3jq8

FrediKanoute
30-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Thanks Dale. A leader in every sense of the word. Please don't be a stranger.

comrade
30-08-2019, 05:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ueCcMN3jq8

Irreplaceable.

DOG GOD
30-08-2019, 06:31 PM
What a speech, what a gentleman of the game, what a player, and what a bulldog legend.
Thank you Dale For all those years bleeding the red, white and blue.
All the best for the future.

westbulldog
30-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Dale Morris has embodied every fine virtue this country admires in a sportsman and a person. We have been so fortunate that he played for the Dogs. His on field skill, courage, persistence and humility is something that we will long remember. He is the finest role model any group of young men could have and I hope the Club finds a role for him, he is invaluable. I thank him for the great Bulldog moments he has inspired on and off field. Put simply Dale Morris is a much admired and quality person. I wish you a wonderful life after a truly great football career.

Jeanette54
30-08-2019, 08:11 PM
Dale, there is nothing I can say that others can't say more eloquently, or no honour I can give you that you haven't already received.

All I can offer is a deep and personal thank-you for the courage and commitment you have displayed throughout your career. And the pleasure I have been privileged to have received as a result of your efforts.

Best wishes for your future, and hopefully it is not lost to us.

merantau
30-08-2019, 08:29 PM
Dale, there is nothing I can say that others can't say more eloquently, or no honour I can give you that you haven't already received.

All I can offer is a deep and personal thank-you for the courage and commitment you have displayed throughout your career. And the pleasure I have been privileged to have received as a result of your efforts.

Best wishes for your future, and hopefully it is not lost to us.

Beautifully put.

Grantysghost
30-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Dale Morris announces his retirement
Wins in Finals for FOOTS/WBD
1x: 66 players
2x: 41 players
3x: 19 players
4x: 34 players
5x: Easton Wood
6x: Ted Whitten, Brad Johnson, Liam Picken
7x: DALE MORRIS
8x: Matthew Boyd

@westernbulldogs @AFL

via @sirswampthing on Twitter.

Eastdog
30-08-2019, 11:03 PM
Thank you Dale Morris. What a player! That tackle on Buddy in the 2016 grand final will all never forget. All the best for your future endeavours.

SonofScray
30-08-2019, 11:07 PM
Yeah, can't stop crying today.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2019, 12:13 AM
One of the greatest of all.

Thanks Dale.

Grantysghost
31-08-2019, 10:42 AM
Easton's tribute on social media is brilliant.
----

Words can’t describe how much this man means to me. I’ve never met someone who’s so driven by giving to others and so passionate about playing the game to make it easier for his mates. I thought I’d share a story to show just how selfless Moz consistently was.
It was rd22, 2016 and we were playing Essendon. Late in the game I landed awkwardly on my ankle and felt a snap. I was helped off the ground and the whole way off all I could think was “that’s my season done”.

After the game I was assessed by the docs and they organized an MRI scan for later that night. Moz didnt play that night and when he came to console me he heard the docs saying I shouldn’t drive myself. My family weren’t at the game so Moz, of course, offered to drive me.

The MRI is at least a half hour in the opposite direction to Moz’s house but he wouldn’t take no for answer. So off we went and along the way he was reassuring me the scan might give us good news. We arrive around 9pm and I let him know my wife’s on the way to take me home after.

Despite being a mile from his home, late at night and still with the half hour scan to take place, Moz insists that he’s staying so he can be there for me when I come out with what I’m expecting to be bad news. Finally I finish the scan and the doc has the news. It’s 10pm.

There’s enough of the ligament there to be stable. I’ll only miss two weeks and be back for finals. I can’t believe it! Neither can Moz, whose there to hug and celebrate with me. Because he waited and was there. He was always there for me. He’s always there for everyone.

That’s what Moz does, he sacrifices to help others. I’ll never forget it. History happened & 6 weeks later we won a flag together. I’ll be forever grateful for that moment but mainly for having him as a mate.

Bulldog4life
31-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Following the doggies for over 55 years Dale Morris would be in my best team of all time. Without a doubt. His selfless acts knew no bounds. He was never beaten. His chats off the field with all supporters are well known. I was lucky to be one of those supporters. So very glad he is staying with our great club.

Ghost Dog
31-08-2019, 01:10 PM
This is great reading. Probably would have been a national champion at something as an athlete. Extremely skilled. Durable as hell. Offered the selectors great stability.

Go_Dogs
31-08-2019, 01:42 PM
A brilliant career - one of our all time greatest players.

He’s infectious with his love for the game, and his resilience will never be matched. Pleasure to watch him play - we are so lucky to have a person of his caliber at our club for so long.

Eastdog
31-08-2019, 04:25 PM
IMMORTAL.

That was huge!

LostDoggy
31-08-2019, 06:01 PM
The inner sanctum speech, real tears shed, this guy is a true hero in every sense.
There is no player that can match him for courage, selflessness and sportsmanship.
So many match winning moments, contests and unseen influences to a match, determination to lift his brothers.
Dale Morris beat everyone one on one at some stage and consistently against the best forwards in the game.
Dale has given me, the supporters and his team mates glimpses of joy and pride when the team was at its worst, he also did it in the toughest games, on the biggest stages, he did it consistently through good times, the bad and the best times.
There is no player like him, we have been fortunate to witness this career.
He provided us that moment in the grand final, always giving us his best. That was always going to be my greatest Morris football moment, however, in that inner sanctum speech, the toughest speech of his career, he gave everything again, that speech will carry those young team mates far. His love of the club validates the supporters highest hopes and ideals in club and player.
Looking forward to seeing Dale succeed in his next club capacity, whether it’s coaching, player welfare or a mentoring role.

Murphy'sLore
31-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Easton's tribute on social media is brilliant.
----

Words can’t describe how much this man means to me. I’ve never met someone who’s so driven by giving to others and so passionate about playing the game to make it easier for his mates. I thought I’d share a story to show just how selfless Moz consistently was.
It was rd22, 2016 and we were playing Essendon. Late in the game I landed awkwardly on my ankle and felt a snap. I was helped off the ground and the whole way off all I could think was “that’s my season done”.

After the game I was assessed by the docs and they organized an MRI scan for later that night. Moz didnt play that night and when he came to console me he heard the docs saying I shouldn’t drive myself. My family weren’t at the game so Moz, of course, offered to drive me.

The MRI is at least a half hour in the opposite direction to Moz’s house but he wouldn’t take no for answer. So off we went and along the way he was reassuring me the scan might give us good news. We arrive around 9pm and I let him know my wife’s on the way to take me home after.

Despite being a mile from his home, late at night and still with the half hour scan to take place, Moz insists that he’s staying so he can be there for me when I come out with what I’m expecting to be bad news. Finally I finish the scan and the doc has the news. It’s 10pm.

There’s enough of the ligament there to be stable. I’ll only miss two weeks and be back for finals. I can’t believe it! Neither can Moz, whose there to hug and celebrate with me. Because he waited and was there. He was always there for me. He’s always there for everyone.

That’s what Moz does, he sacrifices to help others. I’ll never forget it. History happened & 6 weeks later we won a flag together. I’ll be forever grateful for that moment but mainly for having him as a mate.

Something in my eye...

bornadog
31-08-2019, 06:42 PM
he was at the VFL today with his two boys

ledge
31-08-2019, 07:56 PM
Mentor role for sure, VFL back coach or one on one.

The Pie Man
01-09-2019, 09:11 AM
he was at the VFL today with his two boys

He was - he signed my 2016 ball - and can spell ‘you’re’ in context, a small thing that means a lot to me (because of course he can, he’s Dale Morris) and was very sweet with my quirky son

Saw Tom Boyd with Zaine too

S Coast Simon
01-09-2019, 02:02 PM
The one I remember is his spoil of Buddy’s mark just before the famous tackle in the Grand Final. Two massive efforts that led to Boyd’s goal. I remember when they started calling him the glove and thinking that is appropriate for him. What a man. Great career and well deserved premiership player

Ozza
02-09-2019, 09:03 PM
One of my all time favourites.
If they re-picked the team of the century, he surely gets picked in the back 6.

comrade
02-09-2019, 09:33 PM
He’s a player you’ll tell your grandkids about.

Hotdog60
25-09-2019, 10:01 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-09-25/more-than-fitness-dale-morris-visualised-flag-long-before-it-happened

Bulldog Revolution
25-09-2019, 11:22 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-09-25/more-than-fitness-dale-morris-visualised-flag-long-before-it-happened

I’m addicted to Dale Morris videos!

He’s just such a positive and inspirational person.

I never thought there’d be a player after Libba who better personified what a bulldog was - and maybe Dale doesn’t but he’s the walking embodiment of the modern bulldog. I once wrote that Dale was the kind of bloke you’d want your daughter to marry.

He might be too nice for a reality tv show - but couldn’t we have a weekly bulldogs website video with Dale going through his favourite games as a bulldog, favourite teammates etc

angelopetraglia
26-09-2019, 12:30 AM
Legend. Have we offered him a job at the club next year? Surely you want to keep someone like Dale around your club forever.

divvydan
01-10-2019, 06:46 PM
Legend. Have we offered him a job at the club next year? Surely you want to keep someone like Dale around your club forever.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-10-01/coaches-locked-in-for-2020

Recently-retired premiership defender Dale Morris will make an immediate transition to coaching, becoming a development coach after calling time on his 253-game AFL career in August.

chef
01-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Yay.

SquirrelGrip
01-10-2019, 06:56 PM
This is the most brilliant news!

Go_Dogs
01-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Some good changes to the assistant coaches announced too.

Rohan Smith was in charge of our backs in 2016, right? Good to have him back there.