PDA

View Full Version : Premonition of premiership.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-09-2019, 12:00 AM
A poster had a dream on the eve of '16 finals that we won the GF. I remember reading the post and wondering.
Anyone wanna fess up?
How amazing. These premonitions happen as if the urgency of the situation penetrates our instincts.
I had it with Yannic Noah when he was the first Frenchman to win French Open in decades.
I had just had first trip to Paris, had no conscious awareness of Yannick I was ignorant of him but had pondered the name but I vaguely had him as a Frank with sideboards and an Elvis hairstyle.
I had a dream I floated in on a scene of incredible excitement that I couldn't explain and urgently wanted to know the source.
I asked in English what was going on and was told with a french accent :"It's Yannic".
A week later he won the French Open and I am still electrified.
Dream WOOFers, tell your unconscious to dream, your pillows are the Dogs oracle. Lay your head on it and ponder dreamily floating onto a scene of great excitement.

mjp
03-09-2019, 10:23 AM
I've been dreaming of watching us get smashed followed by me getting caught in Sydney traffic on the way to the airport, missing my plane and having to find airport accomodation for me and my 12year old for Saturday night.

Is that the sort of thing you are talking about 'cos it sure as hell is recurring!

Mofra
03-09-2019, 11:01 AM
I think we are a realistic chance in 2020.

We'll give it a good crack this year but it just feels like 2015 to me.

bornadog
03-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Its building

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDf_uFgUcAAgKRL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDf_uFlVAAElXb2?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

bornadog
03-09-2019, 11:47 AM
and building

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDf_uFxVAAAVM5_?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDf_uHoUEAEOhpB?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

AndrewP6
03-09-2019, 11:48 AM
In 2016 I had a dream that we won, and Bob Murphy came to our school with the cup (one of the women at work is friends with his parents). To this day I sometimes still can't believe that we actually won it, even though I was there on that day. I rarely remember my dreams, so this was a special one.

Dancin' Douggy
03-09-2019, 12:59 PM
OK Woofers, tighten your seatbelts, you are about to embark on a strange and magical journey............

Here are some things that happened to me in the build up to the grand final in 2016 while was in New Zealand with my 12 year old boy.

On the night of the preliminary final we were staying in Auckland in an apartment.
We had access to a footy channel so we were all set up to watch the game. Snacks, beer etc.

Then..........during the day it started raining cats and ..... DOGS. It poured and poured and poured.
And the stupid TV went DEAD. Absolutely dead, nothing, zip, nada...... just static and white noise.

I hastened to the desk to ask, beg, plead for someone to come and fix it.......but they said there was something wrong with their dish on the roof and all the TVs went dead whenever it rained. I felt myself go pale as a sheet......

Now this was bucketing monsoonal type rain and it wasn't stopping. I desperately started googling sports bars in Auckland and even my wife back in Melbourne was trying to help me find somewhere to go........it wasn't looking good though, and the thought of taking my boy out in the drenching rain to some sports bar all night wasn't all that appealing. We would be DRENCHED by the time we got anywhere too.
The water was mid-shin by now all over the city
Then........just when all hope was lost.........just before the first bounce.......the TV started working PERFECTLY.
The signal stayed good for the ENTIRE GAME and then suddenly died again... almost the exact minute the game ended.

We saw the whole glorious thing. It was truly divine intervention.

But wait gentle readers.......that's just the start.

By sheer fluke I had booked flights to land back in Melbourne Grand final eve. Finals hadn't been factored in to my travel plans at all. So that was just dumb luck right there.

Anyhow....... my son (Ted) and I had the rest of the week to potter around NZ before heading home.

We drove to a remote patch of remnant forest and walked along a sun dappled track to a viewing platform above a majestic waterfall.
There was the usual graffiti and tagging on the hand rail, but there was one name right in the middle, the biggest clearest name of all.
In fresh thick black Texta.
The one name you couldn't miss.
EASTON
Ted and I looked at each other knowingly.
(How many Eastons are there in the world do you reckon?)
Over the next couple of days things just kept getting better.
My wife rang to tell me we had been successful in the clubs ticket lottery and got 5 tickets. one for each family member (all paid up members btw).

Then........on the last morning of our trip. We pulled up at a remote headland. Really early. About 6am. The sun was just coming up.

Anyway, there's a local woman from a nearby farm who cleans the toilets and maintains the place, and she was there in her dressing gown going about her chores.
She was a bit shocked and embarrassed to see us pull up, as she was really in the middle of nowhere and didn't expect people to arrive.
But she was a good old stick and we had a laugh and a good talk, then her old farm dog came wandering slowly over to say hello.
A gentle old Kelpie with slightly dimming eyes and an arthritic limp. I bent down to give him a pat and asked her what the dog's name was...........

The dog was called E.J.Yes. E..........J...........

I just couldn't believe it. This was all getting to be too much.

That night we flew back in to Melbourne which was just buzzing red white and blue.
I went to the grand final with all my kids.
And we F&^%%$ing won.

And now here we are again..............

BornInDroopSt'54
03-09-2019, 02:08 PM
I've been dreaming of watching us get smashed followed by me getting caught in Sydney traffic on the way to the airport, missing my plane and having to find airport accomodation for me and my 12year old for Saturday night.

Is that the sort of thing you are talking about 'cos it sure as hell is recurring!

Im hoping this dream is anxiety about trying to control your destiny rather than a premonition.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-09-2019, 02:13 PM

The relevant term here is 'feels like' which means intuition not thinking and thats what we future feelers use. Funny but intuition is considered a rational function even though we don't control it, its unconscious

Grantysghost
03-09-2019, 02:19 PM
I've got a bad feeling about the week off. It aided previously, I just have this nagging naysayer in the back of my gut telling me.... "gee that week off really killed our momentum hey"....

I don't think I ever have positive premonitions however so this isn't a bad thing.
Actually l tell a lie, half time semi v Hawks. I knew we were going to win.
Its going to be a tough game, however considering where we've come from this is all a bonus to me. Go dogs!

BornInDroopSt'54
03-09-2019, 02:23 PM
In 2016 I had a dream that we won, and Bob Murphy came to our school with the cup (one of the women at work is friends with his parents). To this day I sometimes still can't believe that we actually won it, even though I was there on that day. I rarely remember my dreams, so this was a special one.

Isnt it magic to have a dream like that? I have had several myself and when at uni had a friend who told me that he dreamt that a horsre called Prince Puckle a hurdler would win and it had for the first time on the Saturday when he had backed it. But in his dream it was at Moonee Valley where he would run the Sat after he told me. It won again and again, winning three in a row after his dream and two after he told me. He was actually scared of the dream and its power.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-09-2019, 02:30 PM
OK Woofers, tighten your seatbelts, you are about to embark on a strange and magical journey............

Here are some things that happened to me in the build up to the grand final in 2016 while was in New Zealand with my 12 year old boy.

On the night of the preliminary final we were staying in Auckland in an apartment.
We had access to a footy channel so we were all set up to watch the game. Snacks, beer etc.

Then..........during the day it started raining cats and ..... DOGS. It poured and poured and poured.
And the stupid TV went DEAD. Absolutely dead, nothing, zip, nada...... just static and white noise.

I hastened to the desk to ask, beg, plead for someone to come and fix it.......but they said there was something wrong with their dish on the roof and all the TVs went dead whenever it rained. I felt myself go pale as a sheet......

Now this was bucketing monsoonal type rain and it wasn't stopping. I desperately started googling sports bars in Auckland and even my wife back in Melbourne was trying to help me find somewhere to go........it wasn't looking good though, and the thought of taking my boy out in the drenching rain to some sports bar all night wasn't all that appealing. We would be DRENCHED by the time we got anywhere too.
The water was mid-shin by now all over the city
Then........just when all hope was lost.........just before the first bounce.......the TV started working PERFECTLY.
The signal stayed good for the ENTIRE GAME and then suddenly died again... almost the exact minute the game ended.

We saw the whole glorious thing. It was truly divine intervention.

But wait gentle readers.......that's just the start.

By sheer fluke I had booked flights to land back in Melbourne Grand final eve. Finals hadn't been factored in to my travel plans at all. So that was just dumb luck right there.

Anyhow....... my son (Ted) and I had the rest of the week to potter around NZ before heading home.

We drove to a remote patch of remnant forest and walked along a sun dappled track to a viewing platform above a majestic waterfall.
There was the usual graffiti and tagging on the hand rail, but there was one name right in the middle, the biggest clearest name of all.
In fresh thick black Texta.
The one name you couldn't miss.
EASTON
Ted and I looked at each other knowingly.
(How many Eastons are there in the world do you reckon?)
Over the next couple of days things just kept getting better.
My wife rang to tell me we had been successful in the clubs ticket lottery and got 5 tickets. one for each family member (all paid up members btw).

Then........on the last morning of our trip. We pulled up at a remote headland. Really early. About 6am. The sun was just coming up.

Anyway, there's a local woman from a nearby farm who cleans the toilets and maintains the place, and the was there in her dressing gown going about her chores.
She was a bit shocked and embarrassed to see us pull up, as she was really in the middle of nowhere and didn't expect people to arrive.
But she was a good old stick and we had a laugh and a good talk, then her old farm dog came wandering slowly over to say hello.
A gentle old Kelpie with slightly dimming eyes and an arthritic limp. I bent down to give him a pat and asked her what the dog's name was...........

The dog was called E.J.Yes. E..........J...........

I just couldn't believe it. This was all getting to be too much.

That night we flew back in to Melbourne which was just buzzing red white and blue.
I went to the grand final with all my kids.
And we F&^%%$ing won.

And now here we are again..............

Absolutely epic DD you were the antenna after all and were channeling what I call the historical imperative.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-09-2019, 02:44 PM
I've got a bad feeling about the week off. It aided previously, I just have this nagging naysayer in the back of my gut telling me.... "gee that week off really killed our momentum hey"....

I don't think I ever have positive premonitions however so this isn't a bad thing.
Actually l tell a lie, half time semi v Hawks. I knew we were going to win.
Its going to be a tough game, however considering where we've come from this is all a bonus to me. Go dogs!
I reckon anxiety can feel like premonition and its hard to tell which is which until things happen. But a premonition often has an incident in it that is as if the person has already experienced what is about to happen, something specific.
My best mate and his wife, filth supporters, were motorcycling around Aus, were out of Newcastle camping. Julie told Martin she had a dream that her jeans were shredded and there was blood all over her leg. Nearly forty years later now his leg is still stuffed anf so are his lungs from the two years they spent in hospital both with smashed legs the day after she had the dream, some idiot was crossing double white lines in the wet on blind corners and cleaned them up.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Program our collective unconscious, instruct ourselves as our heads hit the pillow and we enter into into unconscious life to tune into the Bulldogs fate. One of us may channel it. It Could be You.
It Could be You, Tommy Hanlon, 1964 or '65
Our next door neighbour has a ticket to be in audience. Night before dreams Tommy picks her from audience and she picks # X and wins the lot. Next day Tommy picks her from audience, she tells him of the dream and the number of the 'clover' she dreamt. She chooses that number and she wins the lot.

Daughter of the West
04-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Last night my sister dreamt that the AFL changed the day and venue on us and it was being played on the Friday night at Optus oval. Also Dunkley kicked the first goal and Picken was sitting with the cheer squad.

She didn’t get as far as the final result though!

1eyedog
04-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Last night my sister dreamt that the AFL changed the day and venue on us and it was being played on the Friday night at Optus oval. Also Dunkley kicked the first goal and Picken was sitting with the cheer squad.

I dreamt last night that they changed the venue to Ballarat but the oval was full of gum trees. Not only that but all the seats were facing away from the ground. Please let Saturday hurry up.

The bulldog tragician
04-09-2019, 12:06 PM
I wrote a story in 2013 about us playing in the 2016 Grand Final. One aspect of it was that Bob had a knee injury and was in doubt until the team took the field.

Before I take too much credit, I imagined Richmond were our opponent, BMac was our coach, we had made the grand final after an after the siren kick by Nathan Hrovat of all people, and of course Bob played.

Mere details which don't capture the essential truth of my vision :)

Daughter of the West
04-09-2019, 12:19 PM
I wrote a story in 2013 about us playing in the 2016 Grand Final. One aspect of it was that Bob had a knee injury and was in doubt until the team took the field.

Before I take too much credit, I imagined Richmond were our opponent, BMac was our coach, we had made the grand final after an after the siren kick by Nathan Hrovat of all people, and of course Bob played.

ReLoad did a LEGO MCG model of us winning the Grand Final in the years beforehand, didn’t he?

If memory serves, we were playing Collingwood and the moment in time captured Liam Jones of all people taking a speckie! Agreed, it’s about the major vision, not the details :D

I’m sad to say, I’m just not feeling it this time. I’m really excited we’re there and it’s wonderful for a young playing group, but after making a mockery of GWS a few weeks ago I think they’ll come out furious and (literally) stomp all over us.

Happy to be made a fool of though!

1eyedog
04-09-2019, 01:04 PM
ReLoad did a LEGO MCG model of us winning the Grand Final in the years beforehand, didn’t he?

If memory serves, we were playing Collingwood and the moment in time captured Liam Jones of all people taking a speckie! Agreed, it’s about the major vision, not the details :D

I’m sad to say, I’m just not feeling it this time. I’m really excited we’re there and it’s wonderful for a young playing group, but after making a mockery of GWS a few weeks ago I think they’ll come out furious and (literally) stomp all over us.

Tend to agree with you unfortunately. I just have a bad feeling about it all. Still, I'm glad our young players will get a taste of finals action, albeit at their barren wasteland. Hopefully it drives our young players on to replicate this great form next year.

Max469
04-09-2019, 07:53 PM
I used to say if we were ever going to win the flag it would be in my 60th year. We won in the Oct and I turned 60 the following Feb - yes it happened in my 60th year.

bornadog
04-09-2019, 08:48 PM
I used to say if we were ever going to win the flag it would be in my 60th year. We won in the Oct and I turned 60 the following Feb - yes it happened in my 60th year.

Happened in my 60th year too.

I may have told this story before. I turned 60 when we were playing Hawks in 2016, the day Bob did his knee. ( I was there).

My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I said what about some Bulldog memorabilia. After looking on line and also visiting the shop, I said there is nothing I want, I think I will wait till we win the premiership. :) My wife's reply was you will be waiting along time. :D

Max469
04-09-2019, 09:16 PM

I may have told this story before. I turned 60 when we were playing Hawks in 2016, the day Bob did his knee. ( I was there).

My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I said what about some Bulldog memorabilia. After looking on line and also visiting the shop, I said there is nothing I want, I think I will wait till we win the premiership. :) My wife's reply was you will be waiting along time. :D

It was meant to be. My boss gave me a premiership top for my 60th (and he is a hawks supporter) and a friend had a canvas done with the Bulldogs logo and superimposed a photo of me holding the premiership cup. So they were worth waiting for.

Twodogs
04-09-2019, 10:35 PM

It was meant to be. My boss game a premiership top for my 60th (and he is a hawks supporter) and a friend had a canvas done with the Bulldogs logo and superimposed a photo of me holding the premiership cup. So they were worth waiting for.

The first thing that Firstdog said to me as we took our seats was "we are going to lose today aren't we? Teams don't win four finals in a row" I told him that we would win by 4 goals.

FrediKanoute
04-09-2019, 10:38 PM

Same. I think it would be great to get past this week, and if we do who knows, but I think GWS will be too strong.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2019, 01:05 PM

2016 was year of my 62nd birthday 62 yrs since our first premiership. I was 7 mnths old living in Droop St when we won and 7 yrs old moving out of Footscray to The Basin when we went into '61 GF as fav's.
Now I'm 65, year of retirement, that is psychically significant.
Amazed at how you guys have dreams related to our fate.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2019, 01:07 PM
The first thing that Firstdog said to me as we took our seats was "we are going to lose today aren't we? Teams don't win four finals in a row" I told him that we would win by 4 goals.

Intuition supreme over thinking.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2019, 01:09 PM

That connection of GF with Bob tragically with knee injury is pure Oracle.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Even though your sis's dream didn't divulge the result, first goal Dunkley with our finals champ Picken in the cheer squad are great start to the final, bode well.
This us the best one yet for this year. Lets see who dreams, paints, writes or legoes a premonition before Sat arvo.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Tend to agree with you unfortunately. I just have a bad feeling about it all. Still, I'm glad our young players will get a taste of finals action, albeit at their barren wasteland. Hopefully it drives our young players on to replicate this great form next year.

Bad vibes can be premonitary but they more often are anxiety, a powerful thing that is closely related to excitement.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Reload with his lego, another way to unconsciously channel, what a thing. Liam Jones did star and took a speccie in the VFL GF in '16.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2019, 01:34 PM
I dreamt last night that they changed the venue to Ballarat but the oval was full of gum trees. Not only that but all the seats were facing away from the ground. Please let Saturday hurry up.

Gum trees on the oval, maybe you were connecting the sacred oval with the sacred indigenous bush it was. Marngrook between the trees.
The changing of the venue!
Grade six we St Johns primary, a small school were undefeated all season against catholic, pagan and proddoes. We had beaten our GF opponents two weeks before, doubling their score it was a romp.
Day of GF spring rain constant. We show up to find FTG oval awash and the council has banned us from playing and we had to set up on the not maintained and unmowed soccer area. Branches for goals making a mockery of our magnificence.
We lost by a point coming home like a train, their mob with the bell which our priest Father Miller reckoned they rang early.
Shifting venue on day of GF burns to this and my dying day.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Tonight or tomorrow are the nights for those dreams.

Twodogs
05-09-2019, 04:39 PM
2016 was year of my 62nd birthday 62 yrs since our first premiership. I was 7 mnths old living in Droop St when we won and 7 yrs old moving out of Footscray to The Basin when we went into '61 GF as fav's.
Now I'm 65, year of retirement, that is psychically significant.
Amazed at how you guys have dreams related to our fate.

So you really were born in Droop streeg in 54? I was born in Byron street in 1964!

BornInDroopSt'54
07-09-2019, 03:47 PM
So no late premonitions and no more sleeps, situation up in the air.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-09-2019, 05:12 PM
So you really were born in Droop streeg in 54? I was born in Byron street in 1964!

So you were closer to the shops, I was closer to the oval. Being 7 yo and less at the time, memories are west of Barkly and Droop Sts. wandering the back streets to Western Oval for training and games. Whitten and John Schultz huge memories.
I did have Luigi across Droop St and his large Italian family. His dad told us to lie down on the lawn then shot the slug gun between us. I went to St Monicas catching tram down Droop St sometimes buying lollies wirh my tram money then asking strangers for money to catch the tram home, sometimes walking home with my mate Liam and wandering into factories, demolition sites, one factory gave us peanuts in paper bag like the peanut guy at the oval.
Tram drivers would let us stand next to them and pretend we were driving the tram. Early mornings if I heard the clip clop of the milko's horse I'd race out and get a ride on his cart. One day I ran across Ballarat Rd on Liam's heels. As one foot got across the rode I felt a small clip on the other foot from one of the cars! Footscray Park was great as were the abbatoirs.
Family friends were the Spurlings two of whom played for the Dogs, one dying in Puckapunyul after serving in Viet war. Ricky and Bob Spargo lived a couple of of houses from us in the firemans flats in the fire brigade which had brass poles to slide down from the upper levels, I survived. My mother barracked for Carlton, Dad for Demons as he'd played reserves for them. He was a chemist in Sydney Rd. Older brother Tim, The Banker on WOOF, and me barracked for Collingwood until we realised we lived in Footscray.

Twodogs
21-09-2019, 07:00 PM
So you were closer to the shops, I was closer to the oval. Being 7 yo and less at the time, memories are west of Barkly and Droop Sts. wandering the back streets to Western Oval for training and games. Whitten and John Schultz huge memories.
I did have Luigi across Droop St and his large Italian family. His dad told us to lie down on the lawn then shot the slug gun between us. I went to St Monicas catching tram down Droop St sometimes buying lollies wirh my tram money then asking strangers for money to catch the tram home, sometimes walking home with my mate Liam and wandering into factories, demolition sites, one factory gave us peanuts in paper bag like the peanut guy at the oval.
Tram drivers would let us stand next to them and pretend we were driving the tram. Early mornings if I heard the clip clop of the milko's horse I'd race out and get a ride on his cart. One day I ran across Ballarat Rd on Liam's heels. As one foot got across the rode I felt a small clip on the other foot from one of the cars! Footscray Park was great as were the abbatoirs.
Family friends were the Spurlings two of whom played for the Dogs, one dying in Puckapunyul after serving in Viet war. Ricky and Bob Spargo lived a couple of of houses from us in the firemans flats in the fire brigade which had brass poles to slide down from the upper levels, I survived. My mother barracked for Carlton, Dad for Demons as he'd played reserves for them. He was a chemist in Sydney Rd. Older brother Tim, The Banker on WOOF, and me barracked for Collingwood until we realised we lived in Footscray.

I don't remember a poster called the Banker?

Murphy'sLore
21-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Yes you do Twodogs, that's why we have the Bankers and Anchors thread.

bornadog
21-09-2019, 08:44 PM

Yep, in memory of .

BornInDroopSt'54
22-09-2019, 01:23 PM

I was telling my older sister this week how I told Tim about WOOF but I didn't think he'd participate
He didn't tell me he joined as The Banker. I originally didn't post much but wanted to and I read The Bankers post and decided to respond not knowing it was my brother
He told me he was blown away when I was the one who responded.
I was born on Tim's 2nd birthday, were were close but me shy he charismatic. We mixed in different circles. He was a winner and didn't like the Bulldogs lack of success. He had restaraunts, an operatic wife and a media profile
We had completely different social lives but we are both products of Droop St. One of the posters here said Tim donated to his charity..died too soon from prostate cancer but his passing was uplifting because he had no fear of it and concentrated more on making all his visitors feel good.

bornadog
22-09-2019, 02:59 PM
I was telling my older sister this week how I told Tim about WOOF but I didn't think he'd participate
He didn't tell me he joined as The Banker. I originally didn't post much but wanted to and I read The Bankers post and decided to respond not knowing it was my brother
He told me he was blown away when I was the one who responded.
I was born on Tim's 2nd birthday, were were close but me shy he charismatic. We mixed in different circles. He was a winner and didn't like the Bulldogs lack of success. He had restaraunts, an operatic wife and a media profile
We had completely different social lives but we are both products of Droop St. One of the posters here said Tim donated to his charity..died too soon from prostate cancer but his passing was uplifting because he had no fear of it and concentrated more on making all his visitors feel good.

I had forgotten he was your brother, but have not forgotten him due to the Bankers/Anchors thread.

Over the past 13 years of WOOF, there have been quiet a few deaths - so sad.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-09-2019, 09:08 PM
I had forgotten he was your brother, but have not forgotten him due to the Bankers/Anchors thread.

Yes death is so sad for the ones left.
An atrist said our greatest moment is our death. We are celebrated and our body mass fertilises the universe.
Bill Bryson writes that due to the unimaginable number of atoms we contain, we all have about one million atoms of Shakespeare in us. So therefore one million atoms in each of us are from every person that ever existed....
So dying is a great achievement and like birth is like the draft, one minute you want your footy skills acknowledged by the wider community then your fate is being tied to a club and finally you are absorbed forever for who you were.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-09-2019, 09:12 PM

Would it be too crass to suggest the creation of an In Memoriam page for people to document or provide profiles of Woofers who have passed?

Twodogs
23-09-2019, 09:00 PM

Of course!

I can be spectacularly stupid sometimes. I just sort of assumed that I would get smarter as I got older, after all most old people seemed pretty smart to me when I was young but that's not how it turned out for me...