PDA

View Full Version : THE MOMENT: ELIMINATION FINAL GWS vs WB

jeemak
08-09-2019, 03:00 AM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in today's game against GWS Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage.'

____________________________________________________________ _______________________________________

I nominate the moment Bont missed the goal in the second to put us one point in front...............

We were completely covered by everything GWS brought to the game, however, we managed to claw our way back due to some midfield changes and a change in the ruck that should have been a brief schism in the way the game was being contested between 35m-80m out from GWS goals.

It worked and Bont was doing his bit, but he missed a crucial goal he should have kicked and it went down the other end and gave them some breathing space.

Go_Dogs
08-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Agree, that was a big moment.

GVGjr
08-09-2019, 08:34 AM
It's hard to go past Jeemaks moment. A telling moment that went unfulfilled. Still in the context of the game I doubt it could have motivated us sufficiently.

SonofScray
08-09-2019, 09:19 AM
Agree. I saw that coming days ago, we nailed those moments in 16, all trust from there is eroded.

Dancin' Douggy
08-09-2019, 10:10 AM
The moment was when I realised GWS were not gonna be punished at all for any filthy dog acts all day.
They were given open slather.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-09-2019, 10:41 AM
That was it.

Bont needs to go away and fix this issue before he plays another final. His goal kicking is now a disaster.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2019, 10:50 AM
Can't go passed it. That's the 'what if' everyone will think about going forward.

Flamethrower
08-09-2019, 11:51 AM
The moment the teams were selected and we went in unchanged, and complacent with a team built for the H&A season, not for finals.

westbulldog
08-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Lipinski's miss did it for me, was tempted to switch the tv off.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Sucklings hipping whoever in the head turned the game with bad khama.

merantau
08-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Lipinski's miss did it for me too. At that stage we were still hanging on, still had some hope. But from that point on we did not fire a shot. The defence, under enormous pressure from the off, did as well as could be expected under the circumstances apart from a couple of real brain fades, skills ERRORS and rushed disposals. But, in the main, the defence is NOT where the game was lost. We were ministered by a team that went out with a plan. They had put targets on the back of our main drivers, they never let up and, together with the umpires' indifference and our failure to confront them as a team we got pantsed. The whole game should become "A never to be repeated moment" in the history of our Club. Go Dogs! 2020 awaits. 5 and 8 are my lucky numbers. 20 + 20 = 40. 5x8=40. The stars are lining up. In 2016 it was 55 years since we'd played in a grand final. We are heading in the right direction. Can't wait for next year.

bornadog
08-09-2019, 04:09 PM
The moment was when I realised GWS were not gonna be punished at all for any filthy dog acts all day.
They were given open slather.

ditto

Vred
08-09-2019, 11:33 PM
The moment the teams were selected and we went in unchanged, and complacent with a team built for the H&A season, not for finals.

^ This for me

bornadog
08-09-2019, 11:35 PM
The toss of the coin was also telling for me. Kick with the wind, go in and create a big lead. Why kick against it - big mistake

Bulldog4life
09-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Like a lot of others Bont's miss was the moment for me. Would have put us in front and ended up with a goal to them.

Mantis
09-09-2019, 10:58 AM
The toss of the coin was also telling for me. Kick with the wind, go in and create a big lead. Why kick against it - big mistake

Was the wind really that strong to one end? It seemed to be going straight across the ground from what you could tell on TV.

Suckling kicked a goal from 55m within 20sec, and whilst he's a thumping kick I doubt he would've made the distance if it was directly into the wind.

SonofScray
09-09-2019, 11:28 AM
Was the wind really that strong to one end? It seemed to be going straight across the ground from what you could tell on TV.

Suckling kicked a goal from 55m within 20sec, and whilst he's a thumping kick I doubt he would've made the distance if it was directly into the wind.
Very strong early. 6 goal breeze, comfortably.

Ozza
09-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Seemed to be mostly across the ground - if anything slightly favouring the left of screen. A little hard to tell exactly what it was like on ground, as it wasn't windy in the seats.

For me, although Bont and Lippa's misses were bad moments, where we could have given us hope - we were comprehensively outplayed and not tough enough.

I'm not really going to sit here and whinge about 'GWS dirty tactics', thats just embarassing to be honest.
We were neither smart enough or tough enough, and our inside mids were so worried about what GWS were doing both in terms of physicality, blocking and tagging - that they forgot what they were trying to do.

Smashed in contested, beaten in clearances, and 76 inside 50s to 37. We ever got any ball control. We never gave our forwards a chance, and we never gave the kicker an option to take the '45' kick and open up the game. We got overawed by the occasion and the players will have to live with that.

bornadog
09-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Seemed to be mostly across the ground - if anything slightly favouring the left of screen. A little hard to tell exactly what it was like on ground, as it wasn't windy in the seats.

Depends where you were sitting.

The wind was blowing hard across the ground and favouring the score board end, as evidenced by the three or four out on the fulls by GWS in the first 10 minutes, plus the misses when shooting at goal.

I was surprised we went the end that was very difficult to kick to.

GVGjr
09-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Depends where you were sitting.

The wind was blowing hard across the ground and favouring the score board end, as evidenced by the three or four out on the fulls by GWS in the first 10 minutes, plus the misses when shooting at goal.

I was surprised we went the end that was very difficult to kick to.

Yep it was a surprising decision. Perhaps there was a theory behind it

S Coast Simon
09-09-2019, 07:23 PM
This for me as well. I thought I was going stupid and the wind was going the other way. It turned out I wasn’t loosing my marbles it is Wood that is loosing his.

A famous loss loss a few years ago was because of kicking the wrong way. Can’t remember who it was but is was really bad for the and it was really bad for us.

soupman
09-09-2019, 07:48 PM
A famous loss loss a few years ago was because of kicking the wrong way. Can’t remember who it was but is was really bad for the and it was really bad for us.
Cotchin in that final where Port was told to wear their away strip as Richmond didn't have a suitable clash guernsey. Port wore the prison bars and kicked something like 7-8 goals in the first quarter after Cotchin elected to kick into the wind.

AshMac
10-09-2019, 08:00 AM
There was a relatively innocuous moment in the second quarter. Bailey smith pulled out of a contested ball. I thought “that’s it, they’re in our head now.”

We went on a 10 minute run after that - but it never felt like we were getting on top.