PDA

View Full Version : Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

merantau
08-09-2019, 08:18 PM
MRV just announced Tip Rat Green will go straight to the Tribunal for his dirty, sneaky, sniping as revealed by camera.

Eastdog
08-09-2019, 08:51 PM
I’m glad. He is an absolute sniper getting Bont like that.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-09-2019, 09:13 PM
This is the silver lining I needed from the game

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
08-09-2019, 09:29 PM
The footage is quite disturbing in particular the hair pulling

Dancin' Douggy
08-09-2019, 09:32 PM
He is my most despised footballer of ALL TIME. EVER.

bornadog
08-09-2019, 09:51 PM
He is my most despised footballer of ALL TIME. EVER.

Me too. The punch to Caleb's head, the kick in the face to Dahl and now this. He needs to be put away by the tribunal, we cant have this rubbish in modern footy.

Dancin' Douggy
08-09-2019, 09:55 PM
I lie awake at night thinking about how much I hate Toby Greene.

josie
08-09-2019, 10:25 PM
If the tribunal has any b#!!3 he will be suspended for more than 1 match - preferably 3 so he missed out should the plastics go further than next week. Dirty snivelling wretch of a human being.

Funke disco
08-09-2019, 10:33 PM
I hate him so much that i now hate Leon Cameron, as a child one of my faves. How he can coach him to play on the “edge” and then defend him publicly (i understand he is his coach but come on!) is beyond me. I wouldn’t want to drive that Ferrari

GVGjr
08-09-2019, 10:34 PM
If the tribunal has any b#!!3 he will be suspended for more than 1 match - preferably 3 so he missed out should the plastics go further than next week. Dirty snivelling wretch of a human being.

At a minimum he should get 4 weeks but given the way the AFL have shown a level of flexibility in the past he might just get 2 weeks
Does Himmelberg get called out for the gut punch?

MrMahatma
08-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Can’t believe the 22 blokes in red white and blue let him get away with it.

GVGjr
08-09-2019, 10:45 PM

While it would be nice if we did push back it's also a bit of a catch 22 because if they got reported for retaliating some would call them out of their stupidity.
The umpires needed to control it better

Vred
08-09-2019, 10:55 PM
The tribunal should rub this grub out for the rest of the final series.
He embodies everything I hate about GWS, worst club in the league that's for sure.

bornadog
08-09-2019, 11:10 PM
Does Himmelberg get called out for the gut punch?

He was fined $2000.

He should be cited for the punch in the head when Bont was lying on his back and having his eyes gouged and hair pulled. Himmerbum comes in and smacks him one.

MrMahatma
08-09-2019, 11:10 PM
While it would be nice if we did push back it's also a bit of a catch 22 because if they got reported for retaliating some would call them out of their stupidity.
The umpires needed to control it better

I’d personally prefer our team not expect others to fight their battles for them. No doubt the umps could’ve done more, but our players should’ve.

GVGjr
08-09-2019, 11:23 PM
I’d personally prefer our team not expect others to fight their battles for them. No doubt the umps could’ve done more, but our players should’ve.

I'm a big believer in pushing back and flying the flag but not being reckless with it. We lacked a bit of spark in that regard

Vred
08-09-2019, 11:28 PM
I'm a big believer in pushing back and flying the flag but not being reckless with it. We lacked a bit of spark in that regard

This is why we need Libba

GVGjr
08-09-2019, 11:32 PM

Yep, a fit and focused Libba is very good at pushing back in big games. Lets hope he has a great 2020

Grantysghost
08-09-2019, 11:34 PM

When we played the Lions Mitch Robinson laid a big hit on Dunks and Trengove was the only guy who flew the flag. I think a couple of our more fiesty guys were missing unfortunately however other than satiating my desire for revenge against those grubs I doubt it would've altered the result in any way.

Vred
08-09-2019, 11:34 PM
Yep, a fit and focused Libba is very good at pushing back in big games. Lets hope he has a great 2020

Honestly I think if we had Libba, Daniels, Wallis, Dickson and Trengove yesterday that game would of gone differently. Libba alone is our flag-flyer and would of punched back if given the chance.

GVGjr
08-09-2019, 11:37 PM
When we played the Lions Mitch Robinson laid a big hit on Dunks and Trengove was the only guy who flew the flag. I think a couple of our more fiesty guys were missing unfortunately however other than satiating my desire for revenge against those grubs I doubt it would've altered the result in any way.

It's just part of the picture, we were outclassed first and foremost

Jeanette54
09-09-2019, 12:20 AM
I wonder if anybody has ever shown the tribunal video evidence to justify retaliation. It would be an interesting defense that the umpires were allowing that crap to happen, so it was left in our own hands.

AshMac
09-09-2019, 09:15 AM
I can’t work this one out. We’ve seen hair pulling is a fine, we’ve also seen intentionally throwing a player into a fence is a fine.

Surely with the cut below the eye, the scratches on the neck AND the fact greene entered the contest late and dived on bont after the ball was dead it is a suspension and not a fine.

Not reversing the free kick is the travesty in this situation. That umpire should be suspended! Was about 80 cm away from it!

westdog54
09-09-2019, 09:38 AM
Garry Lyon on SEN this morning declared:
The hair pull/headslam combo was worth a $1000 fine;
He’d looked at the footage 8 times and wouldn’t definitively say it was an eye gouge;
Unless Marcus came out and said that Greene had his fingers in his eyes then there was no case to answer.

Grantysghost
09-09-2019, 09:55 AM
He’d looked at the footage 8 times and wouldn’t definitively say it was an eye gouge;
Unless Marcus came out and said that Greene had his fingers in his eyes then there was no case to answer.

No surprise there hardly a paragon of virtue. Personally I've taken into account my emotional reaction to the footage and even without that, considering the type of action, the intent and the delicate area of the body he has to get weeks and I pray Marcus breaks the player's "code".

bornadog
09-09-2019, 10:02 AM

Gary Lyon is the biggest Fwit on radio/TV

Bulldog4life
09-09-2019, 10:14 AM

Let's toss up to see who will do it to Gaddy and see what he thinks then.

GVGjr
09-09-2019, 10:41 AM

He tows the company line. Of course he can only see what he needs to see. Did Tim call him out? Tim seemed to be confident it was eye gouging

Bulldog4life
09-09-2019, 10:47 AM
He tows the company line. Of course he can only see what he needs to see. Did Tim call him out? Tim seemed to be confident it was eye gouging

Quoted on Fox Footy that the Bont had markings under his eye after the incident.

westbulldog
09-09-2019, 11:06 AM

Irrelevant today I know, but I do pine for times past when Greene would have suffered severe retribution within minutes.
So it is the Tribunal's job to suspend this sniping prick for 3 weeks, the close up footage was disgusting. Himmelberg should go for a week. The umpire at the Bont/Green incident should not umpire any further finals. Can someone name him ?

Twodogs
09-09-2019, 11:07 AM
It's just part of the picture, we were outclassed first and foremost

Yep that was the really big problem. Getting our arses handed to us made heaps of other things look much worse.

I'm still a bit stunned at how easily we rolled over though.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-09-2019, 02:24 PM
He was fined $2000.

He should be cited for the punch in the head when Bont was lying on his back and having his eyes gouged and hair pulled. Himmerbum comes in and smacks him one.

Cheap, that will encourage him to do it again. AFL is only tokenistic with stampind out violent snipers especially at finals. AFL would rather keep its players who add to TV spectacle (AFL's god).

Sedat
09-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Cheap, that will encourage him to do it again. AFL is only tokenistic with stampind out violent snipers especially at finals. AFL would rather keep its players who add to TV spectacle (AFL's god).
Cunnington laid 4 stomach punches in 2019, none of which warranted suspension. All this after a 'crackdown' on stomach punches was promised by the MRO at the start of the year lol.

Bulldog Joe
09-09-2019, 03:05 PM
All the media fan boys are talking down the severity.

We know there is no fairness, but when you recall Redpath rubbed out against Phil Davis, which also included a medical report that Davis had somehow been stunned (could only have been for diving too hard at the ground), how can they not suspend the germ.

We need a medical report

"Bontempelli came off complaining of the pain in his eye and he played out the game with restricted vision. He was only allowed back on the ground as it was determined that no further damage could be done unless he was gouged again."

merantau
09-09-2019, 07:12 PM
What a joke! AFL aids and abets a toe rags thuggery. I am really angry about this.

josie
09-09-2019, 07:21 PM
OK then - the AFL have in effect allowed all & sundry to scratch, gouge and generally be a thug.

What a dreadful advertisement for our game.

If I had a young child I'd be seriously considering encouraging other sports.

What a joke.

I hope Gordon & other respected Club & Media officials speak out for our club and the general community on this woeful decision by the AFL.

When I think about the multiple weeks suspension Redpath suffered for something much, much less worse I am even more livid.

ledge
09-09-2019, 07:28 PM
OK then - the AFL have in effect allowed all & sundry to scratch, gouge and generally be a thug.

What a dreadful advertisement for our game.

If I had a young child I'd be seriously considering encouraging other sports

What a joke.

I hope Gordon & other respected Club & Media officials speak out for our club and the general community on this woeful decision by the AFL.

When I think about the multiple weeks suspension Redpath suffered for something much, much less worse I am even more livid.

And a repeat offender !

FrediKanoute
09-09-2019, 07:30 PM
No other contact code would have allowed this to stand. Think back to 1998 when Liberatore clawed Lawrence and the uproar and backlash. Greene should have gotten weeks, not a fine that works out to be 1.5% of his Gross Salary. Pitiful.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-09-2019, 07:34 PM
What a disgraceful outcome.
No clear evidence of eye gouging??
What do they think he was doing with his hands digging into his face?? Trying to tickle him??
The medical outcome should not be the guiding factor in the sentencing. That he didn't do damage is of no skill or restraint by Greene, just dumb ass luck.

AshMac
09-09-2019, 07:43 PM
You want the best footballers playing finals; that is the only reason I can see him escaping with a fine. The cut under bonts eye, the scratches on his neck make this textbook unsportsmanlike behaviour.

I imagine Bont or the dogs would have needed to press the case to make a difference.

A fine is an absolutely disgraceful outcome!

BornInDroopSt'54
09-09-2019, 08:01 PM
Greene has 17 offences at the tribunal and there is footage of the talented person intently trying to attack Marcus' face including grabbing his hair and banging his head against the ground. This after he deliberately put his boots into a player's face. Seems to me he doesn't cqre about others' wellbeing. Children see this and learn. So AFL think Greene's behavioyr is good. All the reports were " Greene relieved" at the AFL's judgement. As such it is an approval. Yes Toby do that and we will let you play. You are very important for our revenue, thats more important than your record of deliberately assaulting other players

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Predictable.

Only way to stamp this out is to stamp Greene out - he has it coming.

Eastdog
09-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Very disappointing result. Should have been suspended. He has history of doing this type of stuff. He is a thug!

merantau
09-09-2019, 09:31 PM
Greene is being sued by the security bloke he assaulted at Zagame's five years ago.

Remi Moses
09-09-2019, 09:43 PM
So serious misconduct clearly isn’t that serious
Great to example to aspiring young players !:mad:

The Pie Man
09-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Watched a bit of 360 tonight and I’m staggered Mark Robinson is allowed an opinion on our game. He is not fit for a media position.

There was a reference to how filthy the GWS are at this apparent trial by media / public.... here’s an idea, pack your things and head to Tasmania where they would actually care about a football team you plastic manufactured farce.

I don’t want them as a rival, it only legitimises their existence.

Jeanette54
09-09-2019, 10:14 PM
We should all chip in and put a price on his head. I should think there is some players in the remaining games who could do with a bit extra pocket money.

Funke disco
09-09-2019, 11:51 PM
Out of our hands now. All we can hope is that they don’t get over Brisbane this week and we can circle the fixture for next year when it is released.the war will continue

AshMac
10-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Heard on SEN this morning there was a 12 minute deliberation yesterday. 12 f******g minutes!!!

It’s ok though. He’s very sorry.

Twodogs
10-09-2019, 10:06 AM
Heard on SEN this morning there was a 12 minute deliberation yesterday. 12 f******g minutes!!!

It’s ok though. He’s very sorry.

That just makes it a real farce doesn't it?

So when the little tip rat actually maims or even kills someone then who's fault will it be? His fault or the competition regulator who regularly and consistently ticks off on his constant acts of violence?

Here's a clue. It's not Toby...

Mofra
10-09-2019, 11:19 AM
He has form - including an assault conviction away from footy.

He simply has to be targetted every time we play them.

Flamethrower
10-09-2019, 11:47 AM
This was a stitch up from the start with the AFL prosecution telling the tribunal to disregard any charge of unnecessary contact to the face AKA eye gouging - despite the video evidence.

Greene ended up being found guilty of giving Marcus a head massage and pulling his hair - what a joke.

Dancin' Douggy
10-09-2019, 12:10 PM
The AFL has let the entire sport down.

cinder
10-09-2019, 01:33 PM
The AFL has let the entire sport down.

Yep, pretty much lost all respect (if I ever had any).

The Doctor
10-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Has Campbell come out and demanded Greene be suspended after his sook about Bont a couple of weeks ago?

Of course not. He's a coward.

Rocket Science
10-09-2019, 02:35 PM
On the topic of league-sanctioned encouragement of Greene's schtick, it's worth recalling this is the same AFEL that photoshopped a cute 'fight' graphic featuring Greene & Dahlhaus with boxing gloves on - for the league's own website - to hype our round one game against GWS last year.

This is ultimately just more clickable #content for them that they'll readily milk as required.

Terry Wallace has expressed some interesting thoughts on the handling of this matter - interesting insofar as he's the only one game enough to even tepidly hint at the league's likely manipulations behind the scenes on this one.

Cannot wait for their tasteful MMA style promotion for our next game against these pricks.

Maybe we should take them up on the invitation.

bornadog
10-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Cannot wait for their tasteful MMA style promotion for our next game against these pricks.

I think we need to draft an enforcer, someone that really can't play, but doesn't mind the knuckle, because that is what the AFL are pushing with this.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-09-2019, 03:15 PM
I think we need to draft an enforcer, someone that really can't play, but doesn't mind the knuckle, because that is what the AFL are pushing with this.

I remember Teddy putting a wrestler on Barrassi, who only played one game.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-09-2019, 03:19 PM
We need to hit the airways and forums about this.
Chris Grant, Todd Curley, Greene/Dahl, Greene/Bont we have been forever victims of AFL token policies that don't apply to the big clubs.

Bulldog4life
10-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Nick Robertson (Brisbane)
Robertson is one of a group of former senior regulars at the Lions who have fallen out of favour during the club's surge up the ladder in 2019. The hard-at-it tagger, originally from West Perth, has multiple suitors should he choose to seek more opportunity elsewhere, with Fremantle believed to be among them. Greater Western Sydney asked the question, but he won't end up there.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-08/on-the-trade-table-the-players-who-may-look-for-a-fresh-start-in-october

Is this guy worth a look at?

Grantysghost
10-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Nick Robertson (Brisbane)
Robertson is one of a group of former senior regulars at the Lions who have fallen out of favour during the club's surge up the ladder in 2019. The hard-at-it tagger, originally from West Perth, has multiple suitors should he choose to seek more opportunity elsewhere, with Fremantle believed to be among them. Greater Western Sydney asked the question, but he won't end up there.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-08/on-the-trade-table-the-players-who-may-look-for-a-fresh-start-in-october

Is this guy worth a look at?

He's tough as nails, maybe a bit slow from memory?

Murphy'sLore
10-09-2019, 04:14 PM
Hey, if we can play Ryan Gardner for one game to prove a point to Schache, why not this Robertson guy specifically to rough up Greene?

Rocket Science
10-09-2019, 04:17 PM

Suspect we already have one in Jordon Sweet if we really want to wipe some smirks off a few faces.

What we truly need is to be more ferocious and more focused - to a man - the next time we play them, and more generally if we want to succeed in finals. The bastards embarrassed us, but hopefully sufficiently so that it gnaws away at everyone involved all off-season. If that's the case I don't expect we'd permit it again, least of all against that mob.

The bulldog tragician
10-09-2019, 09:08 PM
On the topic of league-sanctioned encouragement of Greene's schtick, it's worth recalling this is the same AFEL that photoshopped a cute 'fight' graphic featuring Greene & Dahlhaus with boxing gloves on - for the league's own website - to hype our round one game against GWS last year.

This is ultimately just more clickable #content for them that they'll readily milk as required.

Terry Wallace has expressed some interesting thoughts on the handling of this matter - interesting insofar as he's the only one game enough to even tepidly hint at the league's likely manipulations behind the scenes on this one.

I’d be interested in hearing more about Wallace’s thoughts?

The process stunk. In the same footage of the Greene incident, Another guy (Himmelberg) comes at him from the other angle.

The plea of guilty, the insincere garbage apology about ‘going too far in my remonstration’ (does anyone think that wasn’t written by a gws goon?)...this all unfolded behind closed doors. The hearing was a rubber stamp, never about getting to the heart of the truth, not that I’d like Bont to face the equally unpleasant choices of telling the truth or dealing in vague platitudes.

Rocket Science
10-09-2019, 10:42 PM
I’d be interested in hearing more about Wallace’s thoughts?

The process stunk. In the same footage of the Greene incident, Another guy (Himmelberg) comes at him from the other angle.

The plea of guilty, the insincere garbage apology about ‘going too far in my remonstration’ (does anyone think that wasn’t written by a gws goon?)...this all unfolded behind closed doors. The hearing was a rubber stamp, never about getting to the heart of the truth, not that I’d like Bont to face the equally unpleasant choices of telling the truth or dealing in vague platitudes.

You've basically nailed it in bold.

He remarks on SEN here (https://www.sen.com.au/programs/sen-afternoons/) from about the 22 minute mark, raising questions about what he felt were "unusual" machinations leading up to the hearing including the league going public ahead of time that a suspension was not on its agenda, Greene suddenly bee-lining it to Melbourne to "defend himself" and the lack of examination of Greene's actions full stop during the hearing which was strangely brief, almost as if the outcome was preordained.

In Plough's words, to be so bold as to suggest this was all orchestrated by a series of phone calls from league HQ would be far from outrageous.

As I said initially, interesting to say the least ...

azabob
10-09-2019, 11:04 PM
Mark Stevens also said on RSN this morning interestingly the case started half an hour late and alluded to a deal being struck.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-09-2019, 01:33 AM
Mark Stevens also said on RSN this morning interestingly the case started half an hour late and alluded to a deal being struck.
I thought MS's straight face reporting on tribunal outcome
vetrayed a contrary feeling. So a deal done prior... thats how to lose Bulldog fans AFL, betray them.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-09-2019, 01:38 AM
Michael Christensen, AFL tribunal judge, judge each incident as if a court of law. If its assault in the real world, its assault on an AFL oval. The retribution in AFL must weeks not fines for assault, as fines mean little to richly paid players.

westdog54
11-09-2019, 05:19 AM
This was a stitch up from the start with the AFL prosecution telling the tribunal to disregard any charge of unnecessary contact to the face AKA eye gouging - despite the video evidence.

Greene ended up being found guilty of giving Marcus a head massage and pulling his hair - what a joke.

I've got a lot of respect for Jack Gleeson and I feel for him in this incident.

He was in a position hwere he had to walk in to the tribunal, with a straight face, and carry out his instructions. He is, after all the AFL's Counsel in tribunal matters.

If I were Michael Christian I'd walk away. Immediately. Every time he identifies an incident worthy of close scrutiny, it is completely glossed over by the AFL and a cushy deal made to protect the brand.

merantau
11-09-2019, 07:54 AM
I wonder if the Tip Rat actually used the word "remonstrate" in the hearing and if anyone had pulled him up about the meaning of the word?
Describing what he did as "remonstrating" is akin to calling turning someone's face to pulp as "a deep tissue massage".
I will be celebrating when the karma bus strikes.

Dancin' Douggy
11-09-2019, 01:31 PM
Just sent this letter to the Age.

To the editor.

I would like to express my sense of outrage and disbelief regarding the Toby Greene MRO findings. It seems everyone inside the AFL machine has rubber stamped Greene only being fined, but out here in the real world people are feeling angry and let down by the decision.

I have kids who play footy. What the AFL is saying to every junior, suburban and country footballer out there, is this. “We don’t really like what Greene did, but if it’s going to win you an important match, it’s worth doing, because you won’t be suspended.
So go ahead, eye gouge, pull hair, slam people’s heads into the ground. It’s called ‘playing on the edge’ now".

This is Greene’s 17th charge in 143 games. That’s a charge every 8 and a half games.

He has an appalling track record of violent behaviour on and off the field, and yet the AFL basically let him get away with this disgusting attack on a helpless player.

Shame on the AFL.

Murphy'sLore
11-09-2019, 01:31 PM
This is what I sent to Gillon today:

I am writing to express my disgust and extreme disappointment with the result of the Match Review Tribunal finding against Toby Greene for his actions against Marcus Bontempelli in Saturday’s Elimination Final. I wish I could say I was surprised, but sadly, this result was much what I expected.

To witness Greene’s sustained, vicious attack on a defenceless player — hair-pulling, bashing his head into the ground, scratching and reaching his hands under his face with clear intent to hurt — was a sickening spectacle. Greene and his apologists claim that he seeks to play ‘on the edge’ but these actions have nothing to do with competitiveness or courage. It is sheer unnecessary violence, and if it occurred off the field, it would be considered criminal assault.

That the AFL can allow these actions to go effectively unpunished is breathtaking hypocrisy. You claim that the Commission supports respectful relationships and responsible behaviour, and yet Greene has been allowed to get away with gratuitous acts of violence (punching, kicking other players in the face etc) on multiple occasions, and is now clearly aware that he can behave like this with impunity.

This outcome will only encourage the cynical conclusion that the AFL Commission, despite pious words to the contrary, cares nothing for player welfare, setting standards for children and young people or 'Respect and Responsibility'; it seems that all you care about is on-field success for your pet project expansion team. This is why I was not surprised when Greene escaped with a slap on the wrist.

Please, think hard about the message this sends to players, AFL supporters and also to those parents wondering whether to encourage their kids to take up our game. Surely there are many parents in the western suburbs of Sydney who will be repulsed by this footage and by the limp official response it has elicited.

bornadog
11-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Just sent this letter to the Age.

To the editor.

I would like to express my sense of outrage and disbelief regarding the Toby Greene MRO findings. It seems everyone inside the AFL machine has rubber stamped Greene only being fined, but out here in the real world people are feeling angry and let down by the decision.

I have kids who play footy. What the AFL is saying to every junior, suburban and country footballer out there, is this. “We don’t really like what Greene did, but if it’s going to win you an important match, it’s worth doing, because you won’t be suspended.
So go ahead, eye gouge, pull hair, slam people’s heads into the ground. It’s called ‘playing on the edge’ now".

This is Greene’s 17th charge in 143 games. That’s a charge every 8 and a half games.

He has an appalling track record of violent behaviour on and off the field, and yet the AFL basically let him get away with this disgusting attack on a helpless player.

Shame on the AFL.

Great letter. Maybe worth sending the letter to Gill as well and pointing out how the NRL handle these charges.

Canberra forward Hudson Young cops eight games for gouge ban (https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/canberra-forward-hudson-young-cops-eight-games-for-gouge-ban-20190910-p52q0k.html)

Dancin' Douggy
11-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Great letter. Maybe worth sending the letter to Gill as well and pointing out how the NRL handle these charges.

Canberra forward Hudson Young cops eight games for gouge ban (https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/canberra-forward-hudson-young-cops-eight-games-for-gouge-ban-20190910-p52q0k.html)

I did send a letter to the AFL feedback email address.
Does Gill have a direct address you know of?

bornadog
11-09-2019, 04:30 PM
I did send a letter to the AFL feedback email address.
Does Gill have a direct address you know of?

Sorry you must have posted that copy as I was writing.

I wish I did have his direct email.

bornadog
11-09-2019, 04:48 PM
I think the players association should be doing something about this.

Address:
Level 2
170 Bridport Street
Albert Park
Victoria 3206

Telephone
03 8651 4300

Email
info@aflplayers.com.au

merantau
11-09-2019, 08:45 PM

I saw that incident replayed on the news tonight. If Greene was a rugby player he'd be looking at 16 weeks. Those at the AFL who are responsible for this travesty should be ashamed of themselves.
And as for Leon Cameron, who on the news tonight, said he was "PROUD of the way Greene played the game" he is nothing but a disgrace. But of course, now that "playing on the edge" has been endorsed as a "small beer" matter by the AFL it can hardly call on Cameron to recant or qualify his comments.
The AFL is a standing joke. Tanking, Adam Goodes, Supplements Scandal, Drugs Policy - a litany of disasters.

Dancin' Douggy
12-09-2019, 08:53 AM
How could any one be PROUD of Toby Greene?

I mean seriously. The league has really opened a can of worms here.

The message from the club and coach should be, we have talked to Toby about his behaviour........blah blah..etc......needs to tone down.blah.

But they strut around PROUD of his behaviour???

Shows what a meaningless punishment a fine is.

I really have lost ALL respect for Leon Cameron over this too.

AshMac
12-09-2019, 09:13 AM
I saw that incident replayed on the news tonight. If Greene was a rugby player he'd be looking at 16 weeks. Those at the AFL who are responsible for this travesty should be ashamed of themselves.
And as for Leon Cameron, who on the news tonight, said he was "PROUD of the way Greene played the game" he is nothing but a disgrace. But of course, now that "playing on the edge" has been endorsed as a "small beer" matter by the AFL it can hardly call on Cameron to recant or qualify his comments.
The AFL is a standing joke. Tanking, Adam Goodes, Supplements Scandal, Drugs Policy - a litany of disasters.

Until the profitability of a the league is removed from the CEO’s bonus structure we will never have impartiality in AFL.

In other words never.

Murphy'sLore
12-09-2019, 09:18 AM
Great to see DD's letter published in The Age today!

Dancin' Douggy
12-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Until the profitability of a the league is removed from the CEO’s bonus structure we will never have impartiality in AFL.

In other words never.

AMEN. It is a disaster.

comrade
12-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Great to see DD's letter published in The Age today!

Screenshot?

The bulldog tragician
12-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Great leadership from the Giants in continuing to enable and dismiss the reality of Greene's violence

Leon Cameron defending Greene

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/proud-cameron-won-t-ask-greene-to-change-his-game-20190911-p52q9v.html

Phil Davis defends Greene

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/no-apologies-giants-skipper-davis-defends-greene-from-hysteria-20190910-p52pxh.html

Murphy'sLore
12-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Can't get a screen shot but here is a link:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/on-the-road--we-need-to-get-off-this--freeway-to-nowhere-20190911-h1hxvq.html

Rocket Science
12-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Screenshotted if helpful, and bravo for the contribution.

https://i.ibb.co/mJTK7vT/Screen-Shot-2019-09-12-at-2-02-38-PM.png (https://ibb.co/R2bKWhb)

Bravo too, for the Tragician's sincere musings on the matter.

I'll add this contrary view ... find me an example in the entire history of football where a captain and/or coach did *not* back their man to the hilt in such instances. They're doing what clubs do by default, and their exculpations are entirely predictable.

It's the AFEL that should be dragged before an impartial tribunal for their persistent enabling of this behaviour.

That said their self-invested ham-fistery on any issue of note deserves much the same.

The bulldog tragician
12-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Of course a coach and team-mates are not going to slate you in public, but 'proud of', 'he gets it right nine times out of 10' and other drivel are over the top. You could still say we love his passion and he's a great team-mate, but also show some respect to the intelligence of the public by acknowledging he goes too far.

I do find myself trying to remember how we felt when Libba was at his most .. remonstrative :)

I know I have felt embarrassed by some players' actions at times. I'd like to think the behaviour on Saturday would have been one of those times, had it been my team dealing out the thuggery

Twodogs
12-09-2019, 08:06 PM
I do find myself trying to remember how we felt when Libba was at his most .. remonstrative :)

We were...defensive of our little man.

AshMac
12-09-2019, 09:47 PM
Screenshotted if helpful, and bravo for the contribution.

https://i.ibb.co/mJTK7vT/Screen-Shot-2019-09-12-at-2-02-38-PM.png (https://ibb.co/R2bKWhb)

Bravo too, for the Tragician's sincere musings on the matter.

I'll add this contrary view ... find me an example in the entire history of football where a captain and/or coach did *not* back their man to the hilt in such instances. They're doing what clubs do by default, and their exculpations are entirely predictable.

It's the AFEL that should be dragged before an impartial tribunal for their persistent enabling of this behaviour.

That said their self-invested ham-fistery on any issue of note deserves much the same.

100% agree. It is the AFL who have to answer to this punishment - not greene or Cameron .

SonofScray
13-09-2019, 08:52 AM
We were...defensive of our little man.

Libba gave as good as he got, was the theme. He also got rubbed out and shamed in the media, for clawing at someone's face.

Bulldog Joe
13-09-2019, 10:49 AM
Libba gave as good as he got, was the theme. He also got rubbed out and shamed in the media, for clawing at someone's face.

I can't recall Libba ever getting a media campaign to reduce a penalty or justify why he should not be heavily punished.

He was always fair game in the media unlike Thug Toby.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-09-2019, 11:29 AM
I think Libba should have been charged by police for his assault on Knights as I believe any assault should be. I had a workmate near the incident who said it was a snipe as Knights came near him.

bornadog
13-09-2019, 11:33 AM
I think Libba should have been charged by police for his assault on Knights as I believe any assault should be. I had a workmate near the incident who said it was a snipe as Knights came near him.

You are joking of course

The Pie Man
13-09-2019, 12:08 PM
There was an interesting bit of Bob's book about his early years (think this was specifically his first game) when Libba and Hammill were going at it and he was yelling 'you and f...ing me' repeatedly at him.

Picture yourself amongst these huge men in that agitated state - no thanks.

I believe Libba's hit on Knight's was extremely low, I think we can/should accept that. It also shouldn't invalidate any opinion we have on this current situation.

Listened to SEN a bit this morning, Sheahan shares my view that Greene should've been suspended. Watson tried to imply that nothing else bar hair pulling happened. Pulling someone's head up by their hair and slamming it back into the turf while being shielded by a teammate is not nothing.

Rocket Science
13-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Then you have Brereton and noted ball-player Jordan Lewis haughtily backslapping each other while exclaiming they couldn't believe Greene was fined at all. Bah. What did he do wrong?

What they're tacitly saying of course is the player's code should have dealt with it rather than the the MRP.

Perhaps a little something like this Jordie?

https://i.ibb.co/XCWsg7R/Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-12-55-41-PM.png (https://ibb.co/MCgV4c0)

bornadog
13-09-2019, 05:49 PM
I believe Libba's hit on Knight's was extremely low, I think we can/should accept that. It also shouldn't invalidate any opinion we have on this current situation..

Libba at least didn't go out to seek Knights. Libba saw Knights coming towards him from the corner of his eye, so lifted the elbow which caught Knights right on the forehead which bleeds easily. It was hardy even a cut, and looked worse than it was. However, that prick Campbell, who is now with GWS, dobbed Libba right in.

SonofScray
13-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Rex Hunt on Marngrook was terrific in his assessment. Slammed the AFL and Greene.

Eastdog
13-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Well written messages DD and ML. Great that you are expressing yourselves on this issue.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Libba at least didn't go out to seek Knights. Libba saw Knights coming towards him from the corner of his eye, so lifted the elbow which caught Knights right on the forehead which bleeds easily. It was hardy even a cut, and looked worse than it was. However, that prick Campbell, who is now with GWS, dobbed Libba right in.

That sounds accurate, it was a snipe with Knights coming towards him.

ratsmac
15-09-2019, 01:40 AM
The grub was probably the difference tonight. Brisbane unlucky

AshMac
15-09-2019, 07:25 AM
The grub was probably the difference tonight. Brisbane unlucky

didnt get to watch the game, lots of slips of what looks like similar treatment to Bont on one of the brisbane lads. Did he do the same thing again minus the hair pulling?

Hotdog60
15-09-2019, 08:47 AM
Green came as a third person and went straight for the face although not much in it.
Cornes flying Green's flag and taking a dig at the ump for over umpiring last night.
The free the ump's missed cost the Lions the game.
But bombing it into their forward line in the last didn't help it just suited the plastics defenders.
Pissed off two weeks in a row because I wanted these stuck up snipers knocked out.

AshMac
15-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Green came as a third person and went straight for the face

But I thought he was “very sorry” after last week?

bornadog
15-09-2019, 10:32 AM
But I thought he was “very sorry” after last week?

I hope the AFL are happy condoning this behaviour. Sets a lovely example for the kids.

LostDoggy
15-09-2019, 04:11 PM
He’s been given a week.

Why the hell are his hands there anyway, something Suarez about this kid.

merantau
15-09-2019, 05:28 PM
The Tip Rat "didn't think there was much in it" so it'll be ok. AFL can rest easy. GWS will challenge and he'll get a fine.
Can't understand why our Club rolled over on this. Don't want to be seen as squealers? Leant on by the hierarchy? Revenge is a dish best served cold. Am I getting paranoid?

Bullies
15-09-2019, 08:24 PM
By all accounts Brisbane may have given a damming medical report something we didn't do. The footage is not much clearer than our game so if there is no report then he gets off however if Brisbane tee off then game on and the one week will stand.

Grantysghost
15-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Seven showing different angle.

Link (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-finals-toby-greene-incident-shown-in-exclusive-new-footage-c-454534.amp?__twitter_impression=true)

bornadog
15-09-2019, 11:10 PM
Seven showing different angle.

Link (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-finals-toby-greene-incident-shown-in-exclusive-new-footage-c-454534.amp?__twitter_impression=true)

Lowest of low this bloke.

hujsh
16-09-2019, 12:20 AM
BARRETT: Nothing tough about complex, defiant Toby's latest act
IF THERE was one place Toby Greene's hands simply couldn't, by choice, be placed on Saturday night, then it was on or near the face of the opposition team's best player.

Greene had stupidly done that in week one of the finals, and in an outcome that felt arranged, even contrived, he was fined $7500 after pleading guilty to misconduct (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-09/giants-superstar-toby-greene-learns-his-fate-at-the-afl-tribunal) against Bulldog Marcus Bontempelli.
Of course, he was "really apologetic for what I did", too, when he spoke after the Tribunal hearing.

So apologetic that in his very next match, Saturday night's semi-final against Brisbane at the Gabba, he again felt the need to willingly put a hand in the face of a player already pinned to the ground.

Greene has never presented as a normal footballer, and is wired very differently on and off field.
A genius with Sherrin in hand. Old-fashioned white-line fever. Love, respect, even reverence, from the people he chooses to truly let into his private life. Hatred from supporters of 17 AFL teams. A walking headline. Occasionally, an attitude that has a metaphorical middle finger pointed toward authority.
On Sunday, AFL Match Review Officer Michael Christian charged Greene with unreasonable or unnecessary contact to the eye region of Lachie Neale, and suspended him from next Saturday's preliminary final against Collingwood.
The Match Review statement said Greene acted with intent, and made low impact and high contact, meaning a one-match ban.
Given this entire system is based on opinion anyway, this week, after the Bontempelli issue, there also seemed to be something else factored in: we gave you a chance last week, but you've made us look silly this week.

So, off to the Tribunal, but this time needing to have a case overturned, not merely heard.

Greene is legitimately tough, but moving hands over opponents' faces is not tough.
And having said all that, unless Neale says he was eye-gouged – and the word is that he won't be saying that because he wasn't – Greene simply has to be at the MCG on Saturday for the preliminary final against Collingwood.
Where, in keeping with his track record, he could both find himself in a stoush with Scott Pendlebury and also kick four and lead the Giants to their first Grand Final.

Hard to disagree with Grubber much here.

westbulldog
16-09-2019, 11:02 AM
Our no dickheads policy is working well and respected by supporters. If this slimebag thug ever dons our jumper my 65 year support of the Dogs ceases immediately, simple as that.

Happy Days
16-09-2019, 01:40 PM
I’d let Greene eye gouge me if it meant him playing for the Dogs.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-09-2019, 05:00 PM
I think the players association should be doing something about this.

Address:
Level 2
170 Bridport Street
Albert Park
Victoria 3206

Telephone
03 8651 4300

Email
info@aflplayers.com.au

Bravo BAD. I'll send something along the lines of our posts. Football should not be above the law with assault. If a player acts with violence considered assault in Australia, then they must be dealt with by the tribunal in line with the courts. More than fines, $$$; weeks or months. Someone with a bad record who eye gouges someone in going to the court would feel considerably more pressure than a $7,500 fine to someone on $600,000 pa.
Greene eye gouged the week after a visit to tribunal. If it had been court? It seems he did it because he felt he should have gone to jail for what he did to Bontempelli.
He seems emotionally undeveloped.

josie
16-09-2019, 09:57 PM
Our no dickheads policy is working well and respected by supporters. If this slimebag thug ever dons our jumper my 65 year support of the Dogs ceases immediately, simple as that.

I know I would start a protest group at WO if there was any talk of thug Greene in the RWB. I am reasonably confident our current mgt would not want him. Never had contempt for a player as I do for him.

The bulldog tragician
16-09-2019, 10:58 PM
I know I would start a protest group at WO if there was any talk of thug Greene in the RWB. I am reasonably confident our current mgt would not want him. Never had contempt for a player as I do for him.

I’ll be second in line Josie.

angelopetraglia
16-09-2019, 11:02 PM
I dislike GWS. I hate the way Greene conducts himself on the football field. However I hope that he gets off and that they defeat Collingwood.

My hatred for Collingwood runs far deeper than any hate for the plastics or Greene. I would barrack for the Pyongyang Pelicans against Collingwood.

bornadog
16-09-2019, 11:42 PM
I dislike GWS. I hate the way Greene conducts himself on the football field. However I hope that he gets off and that they defeat Collingwood.

My hatred for Collingwood runs far deeper than any hate for the plastics or Greene. I would barrack for the Pyongyang Pelicans against Collingwood.

I have never understood the hatred for Collingwood.

Hotdog60
17-09-2019, 06:42 AM
I have a very big dislike for Collingwood that stems from youth but my dislike for the plastics has grown more over the short few years.
I hope the pies flog them and send them out.
As much as I don't like the out come it looks like Richmond for the flag for my mind.

The Adelaide Connection
17-09-2019, 10:49 AM

What’s your beef with Pyongyang Pelicans? I feel like they would be up against all kinds of adversity and I like that they have chosen the Pelican.

Axe Man
17-09-2019, 11:21 AM
The Pyongyang Pelicans v Tehran Termites game last year was one for the ages.

I don't dislike Collingwood as much as many others - go pies!

Mofra
17-09-2019, 11:36 AM
The Pyongyang Pelicans v Tehran Termites game last year was one for the ages.

I don't dislike Collingwood as much as many others - go pies!
I hate GWS more than any other side. I'll be rooting for the Pies in this one.

Rocket Science
17-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Picture the grin on Gill's face if GWS advance ... and Greene's.

That should be more than enough to dissuade the foolhardy from wishing them well.

I hope the Pies f**king crush them.

Twodogs
17-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Yep go pies!

Bulldog Joe
17-09-2019, 12:17 PM
The finals our now at the point of emotional turmoil

Richmond v Geelong

Collingwood v GWS

Can I like any of them?

Heaven forbid a Geelong GWS GF as I would be forced to barrack for Joel ******* Selwood and Harry B****y Taylor

Axe Man
17-09-2019, 12:26 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/HxfCLSV2/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Daughter of the West
17-09-2019, 12:34 PM
The finals our now at the point of emotional turmoil

Richmond v Geelong

Collingwood v GWS

Can I like any of them?

Heaven forbid a Geelong GWS GF as I would be forced to barrack for Joel ******* Selwood and Harry B****y Taylor

This is hands down the worst prelim combination in a long time. Both Brisbane and West Coast were my go-to's!

Go Colling... *cough* *splutter* *choke* ...wood *cough* *splutter* *choke* *pass out*

The bulldog tragician
17-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Seeing a manufactured franchise with no real fans, into which millions have been tipped ... the glee of the AFL as their PowerPoint presentation comes to life .. no thanks. I do not like the other three clubs but they have history, devoted one eyed fans, and soul.

hujsh
17-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Seeing a manufactured franchise with no real fans, into which millions have been tipped ... the glee of the AFL as their PowerPoint presentation comes to life .. no thanks. I do not like the other three clubs but they have history, devoted one eyed fans, and soul.
New manager up in Sydney is a GWS fan.

I piped up with 'I didn't know they existed'
I was informed they have 30,000 member 'and counting'
I wanted to say that handing out memberships don't really count/where are they at the stadium but it was my second day and don't want to overstep the mark just yet.

josie
17-09-2019, 06:37 PM
I actually like Buckley. And Hardwick. Bucks has been bridesmaid so hope he & Pies can go all the way. If GWS play in GF especially if vs Cats pretty sure I will not watch it.

Twodogs
17-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Greene is gawn!!!

merantau
17-09-2019, 08:51 PM
Greene out.

Mofra
17-09-2019, 09:20 PM
If anyone heard any loud unusual noise half an hour ago, that was me laughing.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Appeal.... Then double it.

SlimPickens
17-09-2019, 09:55 PM
So Greene goes for 'unnecessary or unreasonable contact to the eye region'. That makes the contact with Bont, by definition, necessary and/or reasonable. Idiots

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-09-2019, 11:12 PM
Public outcry and an anti AFL feeling saw justice finally done tonight leading to Greene being suspended. The report probably wasn’t any worse than what was handed out to Bont but at last common sense prevailed. There is little doubt that Bontempelli was targeted which to me was almost a desperate move by Leon Cameron to save his job. These have been selfish acts by Greene which has only served to jeopardise his side’s ability to win the flag.

Jeanette54
18-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Obviously the tribunal should have given themselves a week while they were at it. By not handing out a suspension for the Bonts incident, they were in fact condoning Greene's behaviour.

No wonder he took it as licence to continue to indulge in such tactics.

Shades of the Ablett fiasco with repeated head high contact charges.

Bulldog Joe
18-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Obviously the tribunal should have given themselves a week while they were at it. By not handing out a suspension for the Bonts incident, they were in fact condoning Greene's behaviour.

No wonder he took it as licence to continue to indulge in such tactics.

Shades of the Ablett fiasco with repeated head high contact charges.

I don't think that is on the tribunal, who can only adjudicate on the case put before them.

The first week was contrived with the AFL Counsel only seeking a fine. The Tribunal had nowhere else to go.

Michael Christian has circumvented the AFL contrivance by imposing the suspension forcing Greene to actual be tried on the evidence.

The fallout from this will probably mean a new MRO next year with Christian stepping aside citing personal reasons.

Those personal reasons will actual be "Personally Pushed Out by AFL Hierarchy for challenging the Status Quo"

bornadog
18-09-2019, 01:01 PM
I don't think that is on the tribunal, who can only adjudicate on the case put before them.

The first week was contrived with the AFL Counsel only seeking a fine. The Tribunal had nowhere else to go.

Michael Christian has circumvented the AFL contrivance by imposing the suspension forcing Greene to actual be tried on the evidence.

The fallout from this will probably mean a new MRO next year with Christian stepping aside citing personal reasons.

Those personal reasons will actual be "Personally Pushed Out by AFL Hierarchy for challenging the Status Quo"

Exactly what happened, but shows the AFL are a disgrace with pushing for a fine last week. The attack on Bont was worth at minimum 4 weeks or more.

Dancin' Douggy
18-09-2019, 09:51 PM
Not me. I don't mind Collingwood. I would just about barrack for any organisation on the face of the earth over GWS and Toby Greene.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-09-2019, 12:11 AM
For several challenging months last year I played golf at Eagle Ridge on the peninsula. The Don there was a silver crisp walrush mustachioed and haired Bulldog supporter ( there was a lot of Bulldogs supporrters at the club).
He said he had employed several Bulldogs players in his wool industry and the only he ever sacked was Leon Cameron, for not showing up because of a lover.
Maybe Cameron isn't innocent as he looks

1eyedog
19-09-2019, 08:44 AM
If anyone can understand any of the above can you please let me know? ;)

AshMac
19-09-2019, 09:00 AM
For several challenging months last year I played golf at Eagle Ridge on the peninsula. The Don there was a silver crisp walrush mustachioed and haired Bulldog supporter ( a coven of them, most Irish).
He said he had employed several Bulldogs players in his wool industry and the only he ever sacked was Leon Cameron, for not showing up because of a lover.

I have no idea what you just said but I’m playing eagle ridge this weekend.

westdog54
19-09-2019, 05:35 PM

If I were Michael Christian I'd be walking away regardless.

The AFL undermined him earlier this year with their limp wristed approach to Ben Stratton's citing/referral and again last week.

Twodogs
19-09-2019, 08:06 PM
For several challenging months last year I played golf at Eagle Ridge on the peninsula. The Don there was a silver crisp walrush mustachioed and haired Bulldog supporter ( a coven of them, most Irish).

I worked with Greg Miles dad at a sheep skin shed in Laverton in the early '80s. I think his name was Stan, he was a nice bloke.

josie
19-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Ban upheld. GWS without their 2 best players. Go Pies-smash the plastics!!

BornInDroopSt'54
19-09-2019, 08:19 PM
I worked with Greg Miles dad at a sheep skin shed in Laverton in the early '80s. I think his name was Stan, he was a nice bloke.

Greg Miles the race caller? He was there to call the sheep melee as practice for calling horse races.
You can tell a man by how he plays golf, footy or handles sheep skins or for that matter how he posts or sticks his digits in another's face.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Ban upheld. GWS without their 2 best players. Go Pies-smash the plastics!!

My heart breaks for them... May Roughead enjoy winning another prelim over them.

Twodogs
19-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Greg Miles the race caller? He was there to call the sheep melee as practice for calling horse races.
You can tell a man by how he plays golf, footy or handles sheep skins or for that matter how he posts or sticks his digits in another's face.

That's the guy. Of course this being the early '80s he was Bert Bryant's off sider back then.

At a place called Gathercole's in Laverton

BornInDroopSt'54
19-09-2019, 08:32 PM
Why do people hate Collingwood? In the old days because The Magpies were strongly Catholic and the Catholics had wealth and different opinions so people distrusted them., Collingwood FC also got money from sly grog. So people hated them.
My generation hated them because they got unfair amount of the best players and we had to sell some good players to stay afloat. So we hated Collingwood
Collingwood hatred is historically based on Protestant v Catholic in early Melb. Catholic Irish v English Prod's. Catholics owned hospitals, convents and schools and gave succour to the poor in the north east square from the CBD including Collingwood, East Melbourne (where I was literally born) and Fitzroy.
They still have major real estate there like St Patrick's Cathedral where my parents married. Serious real estate. I have heard opinions of Catholucs that include: "Hate the bastards, guns under the pews! Filth! Magpie maggots."
Then there is my Bulldog generation: "Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood get the best players, hate them."

Greene is quite brilliant as a player. He deserves his stage and far out is he a stager?
With Greene it's all about intentions.
Do I intend to kick this goal? Yes I do and I nail it
Do I intend to plant my studs into Dahlhaus' face? Yes I do and I nail it!
Do I intend to attack Bont's face? Yes I do and I nail it!
Greene is Ben Cousins in apprentiiship. I hope not but it sticks out like the dangling testicles of a dog. Stay off the ice Toby.

Anyone who doesn't quite follow the above I'll add some notes.
I've added sentences to be clearer. I word process with thumbs on tabloid.

josie
19-09-2019, 09:00 PM
My heart breaks for them... May Roughead enjoy winning another prelim over them.

Roughy has my blessing too. Usually do not take an interest in a player once they leave us however still enjoy seeing Roughy and Hamling do well.

Testekill
20-09-2019, 10:15 AM
I hate giving Barrett credit but he's bang on with his criticism of how the AFL & GWS handled it. The fact is that the AFL not even charging Greene for gouging Bont basically made him think it was okay to do if you attempt to hide it and GWS constantly defending and standing up for Greene has meant that there aren't any real punishments for his actions.

bornadog
20-09-2019, 11:15 AM
GWs President still whinging this morning about Bont's bump on Haynes and Bont only getting a fine. GWS just don't get it and defending Greene says alot about their culture.

Mofra
20-09-2019, 11:16 AM
GWs President still whinging this morning about Bont's bump on Haynes and Bont only getting a fine. GWS just don't get it and defending Greene says alot about their culture.
I understand him defending his player, but by god if you're referring to that SEN interview he sounded petulant and combative.

Sedat
20-09-2019, 11:59 AM
I understand him defending his player, but by god if you're referring to that SEN interview he sounded petulant and combative.
It was their CEO, Dave Matthews, and was quite the salty interview, akin to a toddler hearing the word 'no' from their parents (the AFL) for the first time and throwing the toys out of the cot.

Bont winning the Brownlow next week would top things off nicely.

Axe Man
20-09-2019, 01:12 PM
I feel weird agreeing with Barrett:

If
you are going to continue to manufacture outcomes, as happened with Toby Greene when he rag-dolled the head of Marcus Bontempelli ...

then
the whole system is terribly exposed by those arrangements when the subject continues to a) place his hands on an opponent's face, and b) stick his middle finger up at authority.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-09-2019, 01:29 PM
I have no idea what you just said but I’m playing eagle ridge this weekend.
Keep the ball in play off the tee and play conservatively if you want a good score. It is rated the hardest course in Vic at 147.

jeemak
20-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Keep the ball in play off the tee and play conservatively if you want a good score. It is rated the hardest course in Vic at 147.

The front nine at Eagle Ridge is an excellent set of holes from the back tees. It's a shame they glammed up the course the way they did, as I think it was a lot better when it had more sand belt styled bunkering around the greens. My uncle used to be the pro there, and I'd spend a lot of time there on school holidays and was lucky enough to work on the ground staff from the age of 12!

Funke disco
20-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Although I don't agree with it, I can understand their frustration at Bontempelli not getting suspended for the Haynes bump. The decision to not suspend was made prior to the GWS medical report becoming public. That is not Bontempelli's, nor the AFL's fault. Using that example to compare the punishment for Greenes on-field indiscretions are ludicrous.

jeemak
20-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Although I don't agree with it, I can understand their frustration at Bontempelli not getting suspended for the Haynes bump. The decision to not suspend was made prior to the GWS medical report becoming public. That is not Bontempelli's, nor the AFL's fault. Using that example to compare the punishment for Greenes on-field indiscretions are ludicrous.

They really have a boner for us. The Bontempelli incident continually being raised by them is makes me laugh, that he was sited for it in the first place was a disgrace.

Sedat
20-09-2019, 03:05 PM
They really have a boner for us. The Bontempelli incident continually being raised by them is makes me laugh, that he was sited for it in the first place was a disgrace.
A Bont Brownlow would be the icing on a very tasty cake

bornadog
20-09-2019, 03:06 PM
I cannot understand the whole media world and the bunch of ex footballers carrying on about the suspension of Greene. When guys like Redpath and Hunter were done for ridiculous soft hits, not one word was said. The Redpath one which ended up 2 weeks plus one for a challenge was the worse decision ever by a tribunal.

comrade
20-09-2019, 04:09 PM
I cannot understand the whole media world and the bunch of ex footballers carrying on about the suspension of Greene. When guys like Redpath and Hunter were done for ridiculous soft hits, not one word was said. The Redpath one which ended up 2 weeks plus one for a challenge was the worse decision ever by a tribunal.

Yep, guess it’s not cool to defend a battler like Redpath.

bornadog
20-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Yep, guess it’s not cool to defend a battler like Redpath.

The way these guys have come out carrying on like pork chops just astounds me.

Dancin' Douggy
20-09-2019, 06:26 PM
wouldn't it be nice to hear someone from GWS talk about Greene's behaviour. Admit he has a poor records and that he needs to control himself more. But no. It's whinge whinge whinge.

S Coast Simon
20-09-2019, 08:50 PM
wouldn't it be nice to hear someone from GWS talk about Greene's behaviour. Admit he has a poor records and that he needs to control himself more. But no. It's whinge whinge whinge.
This is a fantastic point. So far GWS from the CEO down have defended and complained and carried on about how hard done by they are. These are supposed professional people. And supposed Adults. He twice tried to scratch another players eyes. A filthy act. He has been done for spitting and kicking. When will someone condone this behaviour and admit we need to do something about this. Anyone hear Bartel a board member say that he doesn’t care what he carries on like as long as he plays good footy. If this is their attitude from a board member what hope has the rest of the club got.

westdog54
20-09-2019, 09:28 PM
https://www.sportsradio.com.au/matthews-there-wasnt-a-shred-of-evidence-against-toby-greene/

Michael Christian played in a premiership for Collingwood and it feels like we’ve been playing Collingwood all week

Giants CEO Dave Matthews actually said that.

Live to air.

He just blatantly accused the AFL's Match Review Officer, and the tribunal and appeals board by extension, of corruption and bias.

That was a club CEO. Not sone random punter, a club official.

And the AFL have already stated they'll take no action over it.

I've never hated this sick excuse for a club more than I do right now.

SquirrelGrip
20-09-2019, 09:36 PM
They won’t take any action against Dave Matthews as he’s one of them. Worked with them at City Hall. Appointed to the Giants by City Hall. And upset that City Hall didn’t go by the script the second time in a row.

The big error in all of this is that they stuffed up the Bont eye gouging. The AFL should have appealed that result as the penalty was too lenient, but Steve Hocking and Andrew Dillon fixed up Michael Christian who must surely feel shafted with all of this. He did the right thing to refer the Bont incident direct to the tribunal, but when the league’s footy ops made sure the prosecution only went for a fine, Christian was made to look a real dill.

Dave Matthews’ rant just highlights that he’s just like the rest of them inside the AFL.

bornadog
20-09-2019, 10:04 PM
They won’t take any action against Dave Matthews as he’s one of them. Worked with them at City Hall. Appointed to the Giants by City Hall. And upset that City Hall didn’t go by the script the second time in a row.

The big error in all of this is that they stuffed up the Bont eye gouging. The AFL should have appealed that result as the penalty was too lenient, but Steve Hocking and Andrew Dillon fixed up Michael Christian who must surely feel shafted with all of this. He did the right thing to refer the Bont incident direct to the tribunal, but when the league’s footy ops made sure the prosecution only went for a fine, Christian was made to look a real dill.

Dave Matthews’ rant just highlights that he’s just like the rest of them inside the AFL.

The President Shepard was invited this morning to be on 774 for Peter Gordon's segment but refused. When he came on earlier than Peter, all he could do was whinge about how hard done by GWS is and the Bont should have missed games. Nothig about the behaviour of his player who has been at the tribunal 18 times.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-09-2019, 11:36 AM
The front nine at Eagle Ridge is an excellent set of holes from the back tees. It's a shame they glammed up the course the way they did, as I think it was a lot better when it had more sand belt styled bunkering around the greens. My uncle used to be the pro there, and I'd spend a lot of time there on school holidays and was lucky enough to work on the ground staff from the age of 12!

I played Eagle Ridge once 29 years ago, in a penant match representing Emerald and beat Eagle Ridge's captain 6 and 5. I loved the course. Then I joined E.R. for a season in 2016/17 and I agree Jeemak the olderr version was less glam more raw sand belt but it was great to share the Bulldogs premiership season with a bunch of Irish Bulldog supporters.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Greene is some kind of hero now, out for redemption. Makes me sick...

AshMac
26-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Greene is some kind of hero now, out for redemption. Makes me sick...

Well in his defence his mum came forward and said he’s actually a really nice and warm guy.

She was in Broome on holiday when he eye gouged 2 players.

Oh yeah, he also has worked really hard. And he is really excited about playing in a grand final.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-09-2019, 07:53 PM
Well in his defence his mum came forward and said he’s actually a really nice and warm guy.

Oh yeah, he also has worked really hard. And he is really excited about playing in a grand final.

Vomit.

dukedog
26-09-2019, 09:43 PM

Hahahahahahaha is that legit or what?..... that is classic people being paid to get shit done imo.

jeemak
27-09-2019, 01:10 AM
I played Eagle Ridge once 29 years ago, in a penant match representing Emerald and beat Eagle Ridge's captain 6 and 5. I loved the course. Then I joined E.R. for a season in 2016/17 and I agree Jeemak the olderr version was less glam more raw sand belt but it was great to share the Bulldogs premiership season with a bunch of Irish Bulldog supporters.

Where are you playing now? I heard the membership got a bit funny at ER over the last decade...…..it's actually quite a unique club for the region now and not too stressful on a windy day compared to some of the other Peninsula courses.

I miss having a hit, I've got an absentee membership at Woodlands due to living abroad - really miss the course.

Ghost Dog
27-09-2019, 11:25 AM

I remember Stephen Thomson's former country club coming out and saying he never used to be like that in the lower leagues.
Some people want the spotlight.
Go Tigers.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Where are you playing now? I heard the membership got a bit funny at ER over the last decade...…..it's actually quite a unique club for the region now and not too stressful on a windy day compared to some of the other Peninsula courses.
Moderators and WOOFERs, please excuse me.

I miss having a hit, I've got an absentee membership at Woodlands due to living abroad - really miss the course.

Injured my shoulder, not playing and missing it. Thinking of moving to Ballarat and playing there. Have lived across the road from Peninsula and Long Island for last 10 years which were both originally designed by Gordon Oliver who also originally designed Emerald.
Yeh ER the membership there is overwhelmingly from the displaced membership from Carrington Park, and they are a great bunch of my demographic: 65 yo, lot of Bulldog supporters of Irish heritage, haha. Very small membership. The guy that owns it (Malaysian? Singaporean?) is about to throw millions at place including drilling into aquifer for hot spas. Jamie Durie landscaped the tees and surrounds including clumping plants that swallow your ball and should never be on a course. As you say it was better originally.
Hope you get to have a regular hit again Jeemak. I'm used to having big breaks from golf, started playing in my thirties and never played for more than a couple of years in a row. Haven't had a hit since my shoulder injury and hope it is minimally affected.
Moderators and WOOFERs, please excuse me.

Twodogs
27-09-2019, 01:32 PM
We should have a WOOF golf day.

How about Royal Spotswood (Westgate) given that it's the closest course to the ground-and it's easy to get a booking.

There's a great story about Bill Clinton looking out of the window of Air Force one as they taxied in to land at the Point Cook airport and seeing the Medway golf course. He calls one of his secret service guys and says "I wouldn't mind having a round on that course, get it organized.

So after they have landed the secret service guy rings the pro shop at Medway, explains who he is and says that the president of the USA wants to play a round at the course while he is in Melbourne. "Ripper" says the pro shop "when does he want to play?" the secret service guy says that the only time the president has available is on Wednesday afternoon. The pro sucks his teeth and says "Wednesday? Ahhhh, Is that the only day he has available?" "yep" says the SS guy "is there a problem with Wednesday?" "well yeah" says the pro "it's just that wednesday is ladies day!!!!!"

BornInDroopSt'54
27-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Heard similar with different twists TD. My dad died in 1964 (the year you were born in Byron St) but was a member at Medway and when we moved to The Basin I became best mates with an Adrian Papworth whose Dad was Harry who was Medway champion 14 times and Peter Thomson said was best amateur in Aus. and would have been a great pro.
But Harry and his wife being good catholics pumped out a baby each year and ended up with seven boys straight then finally a girl then mum died so Harry had no chance.
All the Papworths were Bulldog through and through with the second boy playing for North but his quads fell apart literally when he was climbing a ladder, according to Harry.

merantau
28-09-2019, 10:59 AM
What a pathetic puff piece on the Tip Rat by Slobbo Robbo in today's Hun. It is vomit inducing to read the views of people like Sheedy, Brereton, Brown lauding the way this coward plays.
And we are supposed to have sympathy for Greene because his parents split up - hello! If every kid in his situation ran amuck as a teenager we'd all be living behind barricades!
But worst of all NO MENTION of his assault, in company, of a middle-aged security guard at a Melbourne venue. The bloke now has PTSD and is suing Greene in a civil court. Maybe Slobbo Robbo doesn't read the papers.

Twodogs
28-09-2019, 12:02 PM
What a pathetic puff piece on the Tip Rat by Slobbo Robbo in today's Hun. It is vomit inducing to read the views of people like Sheedy, Brereton, Brown lauding the way this coward plays.
And we are supposed to have sympathy for Greene because his parents split up - hello! If every kid in his situation ran amuck as a teenager we'd all be living behind barricades!
But worst of all NO MENTION of his assault, in company, of a middle-aged security guard at a Melbourne venue. The bloke now has PTSD and is suing Greene in a civil court. Maybe Slobbo Robbo doesn't read the papers.

I can only think that maybe the case is subject to sub judice and mentioning it in the media could taint a potential jury?

I'm betting that they wouldn't let any legal niceties get in the way of the mob vengeance if it were a bulldog player in the dock.

Burn him, he's a witch!

merantau
28-09-2019, 12:43 PM
You are probably right but it has been reported in the press recently.

bornadog
28-09-2019, 01:40 PM

Went for breakfast this morning and in walks Greene with a couple of other players. ( The team is staying next door to our building). I had to stop my wife from having a go at him. Greene and the others decided to sit outside, in direct line with my wife (I had my back to him) and we were inside by the window. When he looked at her, she mouthed to him : " you are a horrible little man" :D

Twodogs
28-09-2019, 02:01 PM
You are probably right but it has been reported in the press recently.

It's just a guess on my behalf. Somebody with more knowledge of the criminal justice system will have to confirm.

bornadog
28-09-2019, 02:05 PM
It's just a guess on my behalf. Somebody with more knowledge of the criminal justice system will have to confirm.

He has already faced the criminal justice system and received a fine (sounds familiar), this current action is suing him for compensation for damages done.

westbulldog
28-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Tip rat and his smug plastic mates of the AFL love child are on the way back to Sydney. Smashed and cooked by Richmond. They don't deserve frequent flyer points. Karma.

GVGjr
28-09-2019, 08:01 PM
Will he be reviewed again after todays effort?

G-Mo77
28-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Will he be reviewed again after todays effort?

No. Just a troubled misunderstood guy who plays on the edge.

Sedat
28-09-2019, 08:53 PM
No. Just a troubled misunderstood guy who plays on the edge.
#witch hunt

Lol

bornadog
29-09-2019, 12:20 AM
Toby Greene sobbing and in a state of total shock: Inside the sombre GWS Giants rooms (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-grand-final-gws-giants-rooms-toby-greene-crying-players-in-state-of-shock/news-story/d3296752113b12f9604bf325a32fddb6)
https://c-6rtwjumjzx7877x24hisx2esjbx78funx2ehtrx2efz.g00.foxsports.co m.au/g00/3_c-6bbb.ktcx78utwyx78.htr.fz_/c-6RTWJUMJZX77x24myyux78x3ax2fx2fhis.sjbx78fun.htr.fzx2fnrfljx 2fa6x2fgi1588994g710755f0f0ik9k3k341k0hx3fn65h.rfwpx3dnrflj_ $/$/$/$

Grantysghost
29-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Toby Greene sobbing and in a state of total shock: Inside the sombre GWS Giants rooms (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-grand-final-gws-giants-rooms-toby-greene-crying-players-in-state-of-shock/news-story/d3296752113b12f9604bf325a32fddb6)
https://c-6rtwjumjzx7877x24hisx2esjbx78funx2ehtrx2efz.g00.foxsports.co m.au/g00/3_c-6bbb.ktcx78utwyx78.htr.fz_/c-6RTWJUMJZX77x24myyux78x3ax2fx2fhis.sjbx78fun.htr.fzx2fnrfljx 2fa6x2fgi1588994g710755f0f0ik9k3k341k0hx3fn65h.rfwpx3dnrflj_ $/$/$/$

Apparently his dad was arrested yesterday for headbutting a female police officer at the game.

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Apparently his dad was arrested yesterday for headbutting a female police officer at the game.

From the Hun:

The father of Giants star Toby Greene was arrested during yesterday’s AFL Grand Final after he allegedly headbutted a female police officer at the MCG.

GWS footballer Toby Greene’s father Michael Greene was arrested at the MCG yesterday for allegedly assaulting a female police officer.

Police said they were initially called to reports of a man allegedly alcohol affected in bathrooms at the ground about 5pm.

While being escorted from the ground, it is alleged he headbutted a female police officer.

The 59-year-old from Ferntree Gully was interviewed by police last night and has been remanded to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court today.

The Herald Sun understands Greene is estranged from his father and the pair haven’t had a relationship in years.

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Awesome headline. I really, really hope that the Toby Greenes and the Josh Kellys of this world never get to win a flag. Greene is a scumbag and Kelly squibbed going to a proper club because he thinks that he can just sit back and the AFL will organize one for his pathetic club as part of the GWS deal.

Even if GWS ever win a flag (and I don't think they ever will) it won't be any sort of achievement on their behalf. It will just be part of the deal that City Hall have organized for them.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Awesome headline. I really, really hope that the Toby Greenes and the Josh Kellys of this world never get to win a flag. Greene is a scumbag and Kelly squibbed going to a proper club because he thinks that he can just sit back and the AFL will organize one for his pathetic club as part of the GWS deal.

Even if GWS ever win a flag (and I don't think they ever will) it won't be any sort of achievement on their behalf. It will just be part of the deal that City Hall have organized for them.

Kelly was soft yesterday, glad he stayed at GWS.

Rocket Science
29-09-2019, 12:13 PM
From the Hun:

The father of Giants star Toby Greene was arrested during yesterday’s AFL Grand Final after he allegedly headbutted a female police officer at the MCG.

GWS footballer Toby Greene’s father Michael Greene was arrested at the MCG yesterday for allegedly assaulting a female police officer.

Police said they were initially called to reports of a man allegedly alcohol affected in bathrooms at the ground about 5pm.

While being escorted from the ground, it is alleged he headbutted a female police officer.

The 59-year-old from Ferntree Gully was interviewed by police last night and has been remanded to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court today.

The Herald Sun understands Greene is estranged from his father and the pair haven’t had a relationship in years.

Come now, the old man was merely playing on the edge.

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Lets just see how that would fly :)

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 12:38 PM

I'm surprised a little bastard like that even knows who his father is.

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Kelly was soft yesterday, glad he stayed at GWS.

Yeah I really wanted him up until he took the soft option and signed again with GWS when actual, proper footy clubs wanted him to play for them. That was the moment when he had to decide if he was in football for the money or if he was in the game to win respect and trophys. Because any trophy that GWS win will always have an asterix next to them because of the slavering desperation on City Hall's behalf to win them a trophy.

In other words any premierships that GWS win are tainted by the AFL and unearned.

ledge
29-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Seems he hasn’t had the best up bringing, But using the mum and dad split thing doesn’t work for me as my children are amazing and I thought it was the best thing that happened looking back, when I split kids were 5 and 10 grew up not seeing tension in the household worrying about their parents argueing.
Being split helped us stay as friends and make sure the kids were always number 1 and 2.
Some couples stay for the kids and it actually ends up worse for them.

bornadog
29-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Seems he hasn’t had the best up bringing, But using the mum and dad split thing doesn’t work for me as my children are amazing and I thought it was the best thing that happened looking back, when I split kids were 5 and 10 grew up not seeing tension in the household worrying about their parents argueing.
Being split helped us stay as friends and make sure the kids were always number 1 and 2.

From what I have read Toby has had nothing to do with his father. Apparently his father was a hot head, I wonder where Greene learnt that from.

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Same here. My ex and I would have been at each other's throats if we hadn't split and who wants to see their parents doing that? In the end I got to raise the kids, my ex (who was a lot younger than me and wasn't ready to settle down) got to do the stuff she wanted to do.

We broke up but everyone was OK in the end. My kids certainly don't go around attacking people with pool cues anyway.

bornadog
29-09-2019, 12:49 PM
My kids certainly don't go around attacking people with pool cues anyway.

Unless you showed them that is how you resolve things.

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Unless you showed them that is how you resolve things.

I punched a bloke (another bulldog supporter as it turned out) one night after a St Kilda game at Docklands-He was being a smart arse and I just lost it and took a swing and sat him on his arse. It wasn't until the red mist cleared that my mate pointed out that my 3 yo son was sitting on my shoulders. I realised then that it was time for me to pull my head in and stop or my kids would be attacking people with a pool cue.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2019, 01:44 PM
From the Hun:

I hope they took him to the holding cells under the ground, where there used to be big blind spots around the cameras, and mercilessly beat the living piss out of him. Head butting a woman you *!*!*!*!ing weak *!*!*!*!.

Intentionally causing serious injury. Enjoy you holiday at Barwon Prison you piece of shit.

Mitcha
29-09-2019, 03:10 PM
The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Old man Greene's behaviour at under 18 games was deplorable when scumbag junior was coming through the system. Not surprised at this at all.

comrade
29-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Is this a sneak peak into Toby's future when he can no longer indulge his violent tendencies on field?

westdog54
29-09-2019, 04:24 PM
I hope they took him to the holding cells under the ground, where there used to be big blind spots around the cameras, and mercilessly beat the living piss out of him. Head butting a woman you *!*!*!*!ing weak *!*!*!*!.

Intentionally causing serious injury.Enjoy you holiday at Barwon Prison you piece of shit.

With an Assault Emergency Services Worker on duty thrown in.

He's going to do a stint.

Murphy'sLore
29-09-2019, 04:26 PM
This is really bad. Both of them need help, and quickly.

Topdog
29-09-2019, 05:01 PM
This is really bad. Both of them need help, and quickly.

No no they need to be told that they are fine men that like things on the edge......

chef
29-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Like father like son. What a family of scumbags.

strebla
29-09-2019, 05:18 PM
If the AFL continue to indulge him I actually fear for his future they have learned nothing from cousins at all.

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 08:02 PM
With an Assault Emergency Services Worker on duty thrown in.

He's going to do a stint.

Six months mandatory isn't it?

I hate the whole concept of mandatory sentences but I'm happy to make an exception in this case

bornadog
29-09-2019, 09:16 PM

Intentionally causing serious injury. Enjoy you holiday at Barwon Prison you piece of shit.

You do know that he has issues and has battled mental illness.

I would hope that Police would not do what you have advocated. They cannot be judge and jury.

He also requires medication to help him fight his illness and addictions

bulldogtragic
29-09-2019, 10:15 PM
I battle mental illness. Tom Boyd battles mental illness. Lin Jong has battled mental illness. Two dogs has talked about addiction.

Fun fact. None of us have violently head butted a police woman. Mental illness, addiction or medication isn’t proof of anything.

bornadog
29-09-2019, 10:22 PM
I battle mental illness. Tom Boyd battles mental illness. Lin Jong has battled mental illness. Two dogs has talked about addiction.

Fun fact. None of us have violently head butted a police woman. Mental illness, addiction or medication isn’t proof of anything.

I am not defending him, but to advocate violence by Police is just not on. Let the courts deal with it.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2019, 10:31 PM
I am not defending him, but to advocate violence by Police is just not on.

I disagree. You want to fight the police, then fight. You give the hits, you take the hits. Police aren’t punching bags despite what the courts think. They have every right to exercise force. Having been violently attacked, way too many numerous times, I think I can speak from the realities of the war of violence on police and not abstract talking points. I doubt we will change anyone’s minds so back to footy.

bornadog
29-09-2019, 10:35 PM
I disagree. You want to fight the police, then fight. You give the hits, you take the hits. Police aren’t punching bags despite what the courts think. They have every right to exercise force. Having been violently attacked, way too many numerous times, I think I can speak from the realities of the war of violence on police and not abstract talking points. I doubt we will change anyone’s minds so back to footy.

You said the Police should take him around the back and fix him up. If they do this then they are no better than him.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2019, 10:53 PM
You said the Police should take him around the back and fix him up. If they do this then they are no better than him.

Spoken like someone with no experience of a violent attack on themselves or a close work colleague. These members are out there doing a near impossible job, going into places we don’t want to go. At times we don’t want to be there. With people who we want nothing to do with. Dealing with drugs, weapons and violence that we don’t want near us or our loved ones. Yet we can stand back and critique about how they may or may not deal with these things we avoid.

I think police exercising force against a violent offenders is a lot different than violent offenders serious injuring a police woman by means of head butting her. That’s s false equivalence, like introducing mental illness, addiction and medication into the discussion. Which (you wouldn’t know) shits me to tears, as it reinforces the stigma of mental illness. Most people dealing with anxiety or depression, or emergency/armed services dealing with PTSD are not at all violent or even a slight risk to others. But the media and people link them all the time and wonder why the stigma of mental illness is still massive. I wonder why...

Anyway, bring on the silly season.

bornadog
29-09-2019, 10:57 PM
Spoken like someone with no experience of a violent attack on themselves or a close work colleague. These members are out there doing a near impossible job, going into places we don’t want to go. At times we don’t want to be there. With people who we want nothing to do with. Dealing with drugs, weapons and violence that we don’t want near us or our loved ones. Yet we can stand back and critique about how they may or may not deal with these things we avoid.

I think police exercising force against a violent offenders is a lot different than violent offenders serious injuring a police woman by means of head butting her. That’s s false equivalence, like introducing mental illness, addiction and medication into the discussion. Which (you wouldn’t know) shits me to tears, as it reinforces the stigma of mental illness. Most people dealing with anxiety or depression, or emergency/armed services dealing with PTSD are not at all violent or even a slight risk to others. But the media and people link them all the time and wonder why the stigma of mental illness is still massive. I wonder why...

Anyway, bring on the silly season.

Sorry BT I cannot agree with this:

I hope they took him to the holding cells under the ground, where there used to be big blind spots around the cameras, and mercilessly beat the living piss out of him.

jeemak
29-09-2019, 11:06 PM
You can't choose your family, and this sounds like a really horrible incident and situation in general.

I hope the police officer is OK.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2019, 11:24 PM
Sorry BT I cannot agree with this:

You don’t have to. But in my book, if you start a violent fight with the police then you take your best shots (this was a most heinous example), but then you get to take some too. This was never an issue with the old school crooks. But nowadays crooks and thugs want to take violent shots and expect the police to be punching bags and when they want to stop expect no recourse. The theory that this piece of shit, start a serious assault and violently head butt a police woman and just have other police calm him down and put him in the naughty corner with no strong physical use of force is kind of hard to make sense. If a woman i loved was head butted violently in front of me, would I use every degree of defence of others and use strong physical force - or wait for the police because I’d be as bad as them? I’d try to rip his head off and see if he could fight someone his own gender. We don’t have to agree, but I’ve only walked in my shoes and that journey is informed by real life experiences like this. I often hear similar things from ex-service men and woman that what they have to deal with in war, in moments, gets overanalysed by people with no direct understanding for months and pass judgements on what should, or is best to occur. So I try to understand their history before passing judgement. But everyone is free to believe what they want. The only important thing is a police woman was violently assaulted and I hope her a speedy recovery and the defendant a long stint at a state prison.

Twodogs
30-09-2019, 12:00 AM

I grew up in an area where problems were sorted out with fists and those fights were usually won by the first person to throw a punch. Looking back I'll admit that I've done some things that I am not very proud of but I have NEVER hit a woman, in fact hit a woman* in front of me and let's see how that works out for you.

*A few years ago I was watching telly with my son and the subject of domestic violence came up. I said to him "I've bought you up right, haven't I mate? You know that if you ever raise your hands to a woman then I will personally track you down and take you out of the gene pool?"

He said "Relax dad, you got that message through to me. oh, and BTW if you ever again suggest that I'd hit a woman then I will track YOU down and take you out of the gene pool" ;)

BornInDroopSt'54
30-09-2019, 10:52 AM
From what I have read Toby has had nothing to do with his father. Apparently his father was a hot head, I wonder where Greene learnt that from.

Agreed not the split up more genetic as this stranger than fiction fact indicates.
Agreed too that if the split causes less friction then better for kids. Unfortunately my ex subsequently became more hostile even with the kids present.
What is it with the two Greene men and other people's heads?

Jeanette54
30-09-2019, 06:08 PM
I guess Toby's Father will be hoping to get the same tribunal members that Toby did at his hearing. Thankfully football supporters face a different legal process to the players. Perhaps Gerrard and Robbo could mount an impassioned speech on his behalf.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Father Greene couldn’t rig his tribunal today...

9 Months Imprisonment for the assault on the policewoman and associated charges
2 Year Ban from Alcohol Licensed Venues (inc. pubs, clubs and sporting venues like the MCG)

bornadog
30-11-2019, 12:00 AM

2 Year Ban from Alcohol Licensed Venues (inc. pubs, clubs and sporting venues like the MCG)

Yep let the courts sort it out, and they did.

Go_Dogs
30-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Serving time or suspended?

bulldogtragic
30-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Serving time or suspended?

Time I believe. Has already served two months on remand.

Twodogs
30-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Time I believe. Has already served two months on remand.

Are sentences still automatically cut by a third for good behavior?

I always thought that was a huge irony

bulldogtragic
30-11-2019, 12:31 PM

I'm not sure, I'm a while out of the game. WD54 is the man to know the answer. You're right on it being somewhat ironic, Alanis Morrissette should've added that into her song.

Twodogs
30-11-2019, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure, I'm a while out of the game. WD54 is the man to know the answer. You're right on it being somewhat ironic, Alanis Morrissette should've added that into her song.

That works given that quite a few things she mentions aren't technically ironic-like rain on your wedding day, well no that's just bad luck unless you are marrying the weather forecaster and they said it was going to be fine but...

bulldogtragic
30-11-2019, 01:25 PM
That works given that quite a few things she mentions aren't technically ironic-like rain on your wedding day, well no that's just bad luck unless you are marrying the weather forecaster and they said it was going to be fine but...

Yeah, it's a catchy tune but most of the things aren't ironic. I thought it was just me that thought the song lyrics misunderstood what irony is (for the most part). Thank goodness WOOF exists for us to dissect it.

Twodogs
30-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Yeah, it's a catchy tune but most of the things aren't ironic. I thought it was just me that thought the song lyrics misunderstood what irony is (for the most part). Thank goodness WOOF exists for us to dissect it.

What else would we do in the off season?

We have to reanimate the general knowledge quiz that we manage to *!*!*!*! up every year soon too. I *!*!*!*!ing love that quiz and the arguments it provokes!

merantau
06-12-2019, 08:57 PM
What else would we do in the off season?

We have to reanimate the general knowledge quiz that we manage to *!*!*!*! up every year soon too. I *!*!*!*!ing love that quiz and the arguments it provokes!

I've always thought Alanis M. was very so so. I once saw a concert where she just ran from side-to-side across the stage for 5 minutes. Wtf!
There is not one instance of irony in the song.

In the 70s there was a Swiss animal lover who traveled to world to observe animals in their natural surroundings.
He was in his early 80s when he went to Komodo to see the dragons.
He got eaten by the animals he loved. Isn't it ironic.

Twodogs
06-12-2019, 09:15 PM
I've always thought Alanis M. was very so so. I once saw a concert where she just ran from side-to-side across the stage for 5 minutes. Wtf!

In the 70s there was a Swiss animal lover who traveled to world to observe animals in their natural surroundings.

They can smell blood from six miles away.

bornadog
07-12-2019, 12:10 AM

When I lived in Singapore for a few years in the 90s, I once saw a Komodo dragon walking across the street near our apartment. It was on the way to the park. I have no doubt some Singaporean had it as a pet but then it grew so big just let it go. :D

merantau
07-12-2019, 07:01 AM
They are a very impressive animal. Are able to feast on much larger prey because once bitten, even if the victim escapes, the bite site quickly becomes infected due to the virulent bacteria that inhabits the dragon's saliva. Infected wounds smell and the dragon's tongue can detect the smell from miles away. You can run but you cannot hide.

Twodogs
07-12-2019, 12:16 PM
They are a very impressive animal. Are able to feast on much larger prey because once bitten, even if the victim escapes, the bite site quickly becomes infected due to the virulent bacteria that inhabits the dragon's saliva. Infected wounds smell and the dragon's tongue can detect the smell from miles away. You can run but you cannot hide.

It's impressive but I'd rather try to escape one of those than come up against a cassowary with chick in the wild.

Far North Queensland 1992 I saw one in the wild with a chick in the Daintree. The tour leader just said "Walk backwards Verrrrry slowly and don't take your eye off it. That thing kills more people than saltwater crocodiles"

westdog54
08-12-2019, 04:25 PM

Unless the court set a non-parole period he's serving whatever the court has told him to serve.

All things considered, he hasn't done too badly to only get 9 months.

Ironic is quite possibly one of music's biggest crimes against the English Language.

jeemak
08-12-2019, 05:24 PM
People have been taking the piss out of Ironic for years.

TD, your guide was talking BS.

Twodogs
08-12-2019, 07:28 PM
People have been taking the piss out of Ironic for years.

TD, your guide was talking BS.

I think he just wanted me to move away from the bird toot sweet. He was keen to take back as many people as he started out with. Thinking about it maybe he said that cassowary have attacked more humans than saltys in the last however long it was?

Did you know that both genders of cassowarys have pseudo penis's that aren’t connected to any of their internal reproductive organs?

More recently, a 75-year-old Florida man was killed by a cassowary he had kept as a pet at his exotic bird farm.

In 1999, Queensland Parks and Wildlife ranger Christopher P. Kofron analyzed 150 documented cassowary-on-human attacks. Twenty-two percent of attacks resulted from the bird defending itself, its eggs, or its chicks, 5 percent were triggered by somebody getting too close to the cassowary’s food, and 73 percent involved a cassowary that associated people with free meals.

There are only two confirmed cassowary deaths in the last 100 odd years. It's ironic that the most recent cassowary death wasn't even in Australia.

Fascinating birds.

KT31
11-12-2019, 05:37 PM
When I lived in Singapore for a few years in the 90s, I once saw a Komodo dragon walking across the street near our apartment. It was on the way to the park. I have no doubt some Singaporean had it as a pet but then it grew so big just let it go. :D

I achieved a life long dream a couple of years back of travelling to Komodo National Park to see the Dragons in the wild.
Brilliant trip and well worth it, the dragons are as impressive if not more than you imagine them to be.

bornadog
11-12-2019, 06:12 PM
I achieved a life long dream a couple of years back of travelling to Komodo National Park to see the Dragons in the wild.
Brilliant trip and well worth it, the dragons are as impressive if not more than you imagine them to be.

That would be fantastic.

strebla
12-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Where did you do this from as it's on my to do list what would be a good place to base myself do you think. I would ideally like to do this and also tick off e few over two or 3 weeks.

Bulldog4life
14-12-2019, 10:26 AM
It's impressive but I'd rather try to escape one of those than come up against a cassowary with chick in the wild.

Far North Queensland 1992 I saw one in the wild with a chick in the Daintree. The tour leader just said "Walk backwards Verrrrry slowly and don't take your eye off it. That thing kills more people than saltwater crocodiles"

I saw a number of cassowaries when we stayed at Mission Beach. They don't seem to bother you as long as you ignore them. Saw two in the main street. Granted there were no chicks in sight.

Twodogs
14-12-2019, 12:39 PM
I saw a number of cassowaries when we stayed at Mission Beach. They don't seem to bother you as long as you ignore them. Saw two in the main street. Granted there were no chicks in sight.

Yeah, they get deadly when they have a chick to protect. It's dad that does all the maternal work in the cassowary world too. Mum hunts and dad keeps the nest tidy and raises the chicks. Platypus can be quite dangerous too. They also have a claw like talon on their back leg (I think it's the back leg that can do a fair amount of damage. There are signs at most Tasmanian rivers warning people.

I love cassowarys.

Bulldog4life
14-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Yeah, they get deadly when they have a chick to protect. It's dad that does all the maternal work in the cassowary world too. Mum hunts and dad keeps the nest tidy and raises the chicks. Platypus can be quite dangerous too. They also have a claw like talon on their back leg (I think it's the back leg that can do a fair amount of damage. There are signs at most Tasmanian rivers warning people.

I love cassowarys.

Yes they are one weird prehistoric looking bird up close.

Twodogs
14-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Yes they are one weird prehistoric looking bird up close.

Emus, cassowarys and T-Rex all have a unique three talon foot thing (yes, I know that's bad English but it makes sense) in common with each other.

Cassowarys are bad arsed mutha *!*!*!*!ers!

Bulldog4life
14-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Emus, cassowarys and T-Rex all have a unique three talon foot thing (yes, I know that's bad English but it makes sense) in common with each other.

Cassowarys are bad arsed mutha *!*!*!*!ers!

The council at Mission Beach is even called the Cassowary Coast Council. Very protected species.

KT31
15-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Where did you do this from as it's on my to do list what would be a good place to base myself do you think. I would ideally like to do this and also tick off e few over two or 3 weeks.

Strebla this a go, highly recommend it.
https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/komodo-island-indonesia-excursions/

strebla
15-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Strebla this a go, highly recommend it.
https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/komodo-island-indonesia-excursions/

Thanks for that KT31 hopefully in 2021 and I will do Borneo at the same time

merantau
17-12-2019, 03:50 AM
Thanks for that KT31 hopefully in 2021 and I will do Borneo at the same time
Hello Strebla. Getting to Komodo is pretty simple these days. Fly into Bali, get a free 30 day Visa on Arrival, take a flight to Labuhanbajo on the western top of Flores island and arrange your trip out to see the dragons from there. There are about 60 boats involved in ferrying tourists out to see the dragons with lots of different options - day trips, liveaboard overnighters, diving, snorkeling, trekking.
Be aware that there are more dragons on Rinca island than on Komodo itself and the island with the most spectacular views is Padar.
Also there is talk of the National Park fee being upped to $1000!!! Yes, that's right, $1000! At the moment it's $15. But this is still under discussion.
Garuda flies daily to Labuhanbajo I think. PM me if you want updates about the NP situation. Best time to visit is dry season - say late May to late October. Day trips with snorkeling, a hike on Padar and Dragon spotting on Rinca are about $50 per person on a shared boat. Best to look over the boat yourself to see what you are going to get. The dive shops in Labuhanbajo have always got notices up looking for people to make up groups.