PDA

View Full Version : Don Pyke sacked

bulldogtragic
12-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Gone!

Pyke, Lyon, Bolten, Scott, Richardson.

Mofra
12-09-2019, 02:17 PM
First time we've lost 5 coaches since 2011.
It's a ruthless industry at times.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2019, 02:21 PM
So he coached Claremonet. Then a director at WCE. Then Assistant at Adelaide under Neil Craig. Then back to WA. Then assistant at West Coast under Simpson with responsibilities for 'stoppages, structure and strategy'. Then took over the main gig at Adelaide taking them to a GF.

I wonder if he's a similar sort to BMac? Good assistant, but not head coach. Seems to have a good footy brain and worked well under an Al Clarkson prodigy at WCE. I wonder if he's a Leppa, Voss, BMac, Sanderson type that can transition back to being a good assistant?

Grantysghost
12-09-2019, 02:28 PM
So he coached Claremonet. Then a director at WCE. Then Assistant at Adelaide under Neil Craig. Then back to WA. Then assistant at West Coast under Simpson with responsibilities for 'stoppages, structure and strategy'. Then took over the main gig at Adelaide taking them to a GF.

I wonder if he's a similar sort to BMac? Good assistant, but not head coach.

Its a good question. Would this have been done with player exit interviews at their disposal?

Bulldog4life
12-09-2019, 02:32 PM
I hope Keath will not want to stay there now.

Grantysghost
12-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Early talk is Pyke walked (who knows but timing odd). Wonder if Freo job a chance?

bulldogtragic
12-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Their list manager is the problem with Keath (no idea on Pyke). I've read their offer is only two years and on less money than us. Ours is apparently 4 years on close to $600,000. With their old list I can see them needing a lot of draft picks to start rebuilding this year. A second rounder for Keath would be attractive. He won't ever play finals if he stays, plus less years and less money. I think it shouldn't change the situation, unless he thinks the joint is burning down and wants out more.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Early talk is Pyke walked (who knows but timing odd). Wonder if Freo job a chance?

AFL.com.au reported it as a sacking? Interesting.

Grantysghost
12-09-2019, 02:57 PM
AFL.com.au reported it as a sacking? Interesting.

Is a bit.
Here's the statement from club.

https://m.afc.com.au/news/2019-09-12/pyke-to-step-down-as-senior-coach

Rocket Science
12-09-2019, 03:19 PM
So the inquisition's going well then.

Pyke and Tex were a pair, reputedly, so it's difficult to imagine the latter not thinking hard about seeking a fresh start.

Scraggers
12-09-2019, 03:31 PM

Pyke and Tex were a pair, reputedly, so it's difficult to imagine the latter not thinking hard about seeking a fresh start.

https://youtu.be/HqF_nPbX_Ow

Remi Moses
12-09-2019, 03:33 PM
I’m not totally shocked by this
Sounds a bit like McCartney’s dying days with us

Dry Rot
12-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Pressure off Hinkley?

Scraggers
12-09-2019, 03:52 PM
You have to wonder (a bit of a sliding doors moment I suppose) had they won the Grand Final two years ago, would this still be happening.
Bulldogs and Bevo wins in 2016 and doesn't play finals for two years after yet we extend his contract, Pyke loses the 2017 GF and doesn't play finals for the next two years and is sacked/quit.

GVGjr
12-09-2019, 03:52 PM
Pressure off Hinkley?

Haven't they already come out and said he's right for 2020?

Cameron was the one who probably dodged a bullet last week.

Mofra
12-09-2019, 04:10 PM
You have to wonder (a bit of a sliding doors moment I suppose) had they won the Grand Final two years ago, would this still be happening.
Bulldogs and Bevo wins in 2016 and doesn't play finals for two years after yet we extend his contract, Pyke loses the 2017 GF and doesn't play finals for the next two years and is sacked/quit.
Quite an age difference between the two lists.

Mofra
12-09-2019, 04:11 PM

Crows fans seem to think Burton is the real problem, and that Tex has fallen out with him.

GVGjr
12-09-2019, 06:17 PM
It's a high portion of coaches being sacked or moved on in one year isn't it?

I wonder how much pressure Cameron would have been under if we rolled GWS last week.

westdog54
12-09-2019, 11:45 PM
Crows fans seem to think Burton is the real problem, and that Tex has fallen out with him.

Its hard to see Burton surviving this review. To be honest I'm surprised he hasn't walked already.

The Pie Man
13-09-2019, 02:28 PM

Absolutely no way this would be happening - the tone of *that* pre season camp would've been far different had they won

SquirrelGrip
13-09-2019, 02:45 PM
The most interesting part of Pyke’s statement was this:

“I would like to make one quick comment around AFL football. The landscape we now operate in as an industry is more challenging than ever for players, administrators, boards and coaches and this is leading to a wide range of issues around contentment. I hope that in the future we can find a better balance in how we view the game regardless of result - otherwise I fear for people’s genuine love of the game.“

In an industry where 17/18 (94%) are losers at the end of each season, what can we do to find that better balance?

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-09-2019, 08:23 PM

“I would like to make one quick comment around AFL football. The landscape we now operate in as an industry is more challenging than ever for players, administrators, boards and coaches and this is leading to a wide range of issues around contentment. I hope that in the future we can find a better balance in how we view the game regardless of result - otherwise I fear for people’s genuine love of the game.“

In an industry where 17/18 (94%) are losers at the end of each season, what can we do to find that better balance?
The number of sacked Coaches this year has been unprecedented. You could probably add both Pyke and Worsfold to the list, both of whom have suffered from poor Club cultures. The Crows problem has been compounded by a poor playing list with a number playing below par. Strong Clubs remain powerful through good administration and Coaches which allows them to maintain their status on the League ladder.

bornadog
11-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Burton and Camper gone

westdog54
11-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Burton and Camper gone

Burton was never going to survive that review. Stunned he hung around to be honest.

ReLoad
11-10-2019, 12:56 PM
Burton was never going to survive that review. Stunned he hung around to be honest.

Cash :)

bulldogtragic
11-10-2019, 01:42 PM
At this rate Justin Reid (Dodoro Jr) might be list manager as well as the playing captain and head coach, and the playing assistant coaches and the preseason camp coordinator.

It's actually hard to fathom to Adelaide has come to this, and anyone who wants to be paid at Port Adealide wants out. How the mighty have fallen in SA.

The Doctor
11-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Burton and Camper gone

along with Pyke.

They needed that external review. I'm a bit surprised some of the other senior personnel didn't get pushed through the exit door.

The Adelaide Connection
11-10-2019, 02:42 PM
along with Pyke.

They needed that external review. I'm a bit surprised some of the other senior personnel didn't get pushed through the exit door.

Yep, it seems pretty token. No doubt Burton had to go, but the conclusion was that the place is devoid of leadership and has a toxic culture. The people with their hands on the wheel have escaped blame for this car wreck and the guy who was in the boot is getting all the blame.

azabob
11-10-2019, 08:18 PM

Wasn’t Burton at Brisbane when they were a basket case?

bornadog
15-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Matthew Nicks new coach

FrediKanoute
15-10-2019, 08:58 PM

Realism.....a dose of realism - Adelaide were at best a 11 to 7 team this year. That's not Don Pykes fault completely. Whether its the Board doesn't want to hear about rebuilds; whether its the fans don't want to go through rebuilds there will be more casualties and people who lose their love for the game at the highest level.

Twodogs
16-10-2019, 06:53 AM
Realism.....a dose of realism - Adelaide were at best a 11 to 7 team this year. That's not Don Pykes fault completely. Whether its the Board doesn't want to hear about rebuilds; whether its the fans don't want to go through rebuilds there will be more casualties and people who lose their love for the game at the highest level.

A lot of people are keen to talk about footy in terms of being a business but forget that not many people get passionate about businesses.

We should be very careful what we wish for, It's a game pure and simple.

GVGjr
16-10-2019, 08:20 AM
A lot of people are keen to talk about footy in terms of being a business but forget that not many people get passionate about businesses.

We should be very careful what we wish for, It's a game pure and simple.

The successful people are passionate about their businesses. I suggest that if you want to be paid as an executive you had better exhibit a level of passion about the business you are in. If you lower expectations you will struggle to achieve success and investors (Members) will drop off

bornadog
16-10-2019, 09:56 AM
The successful people are passionate about their businesses. I suggest that if you want to be paid as an executive you had better exhibit a level of passion about the business you are in. If you lower expectations you will struggle to achieve success and investors (Members) will drop off

Spot on GVGjr and if you don't have the passion, find a new job

Mofra
16-10-2019, 10:26 AM
They have let go more than just the coach (Brett Burton seemed to be a real problem according to Adelaide fans and some media commentators, including a rumours of a fall-out with Tex). It's definitely more than just Pyke who was the problem.