PDA

View Full Version : Women’s VFL Final

josie
14-09-2019, 06:19 PM
11:35am Ikon (Princes) Park Sunday 22nd September.

Come on woofers-let’s support the only 1of 3 teams that made it to the big dance.

Holler loud and proud. Go dogettes!!

GVGjr
14-09-2019, 08:00 PM
Sounds like a plan Josie

Daughter of the West
14-09-2019, 10:10 PM
I'm bringing the little pup and hopefully his Collingwood supporting friend - I may even see if I can attempt a sneaky conversion... :)

Twodogs
15-09-2019, 11:30 AM
I've gotta work.

Axe Man
20-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Hopefully Mickayla (that spelling does my head in) is the only member of the Ward family celebrating after this weekend.

Ward | “It’s pretty special” (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-09-20/ward-its-pretty-special)

Western Bulldogs VFL Women’s captain Mickayla Ward has credited her side’s dedication and work rate, for their improvement in the Club’s second year within the VFLW competition.

Facing Collingwood in the VFLW Grand Final this weekend, the Bulldogs enjoyed a considerable shift in 2019, finishing third on the ladder at the end of the home-and-away season, compared to sixth in their debut season.

Leading her side to its first ever finals berth, captain Mickayla Ward said the group are feeling excited and energised ahead of this Sunday’s clash with the Magpies.

“It’s pretty special,” Ward said.

“We didn’t know what the expectation was (in 2019). We were aiming for finals, but now coming up to this weekend, it’s just a bonus and we’ll put everything out on the table.

“We’ve got a great leadership group with Tayla Dinuccio and Ashleigh Gunn supporting myself, but we’ve also had a great team environment.”

With a mix of AFLW, VFLW and NAB league players, VFLW coach Sean Kavanagh said that the development of the players’ fundamental skills has been a key focus throughout 2019.

“The gap between our AFL girls and our VFL girls, that gap is now closing, which has been really pleasing,” Kavanagh said.

"Basically, everyone on our list has now played, which is exciting. To give as many of our girls some exposure at the level as we could was the plan, and it's been a great season so far."

With the addition of NAB league players, Elizabeth Georgostathis, Ella Wood and Sophie Molan during the latter half of the season, the Bulldogs have seen significant improvement across the entire squad.

“All three of the (NAB league) girls have been incredible for us,” Ward said.

“Coming through a junior development (program), where some of our VFLW players haven't had that experience, they're able to get out there, know exactly what their role is and go and do it."

The Western Bulldogs will play in their first VFL Women’s Grand Final on Sunday morning at Ikon Park, Carlton.

Bulldog Joe
21-09-2019, 09:57 AM
Hopefully Mickayla (that spelling does my head in) is the only member of the Ward family celebrating after this weekend.

I would be very happy to see Callan Ward celebrating a premiership win by his sister.

bornadog
21-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Will be good if we can put another trophy in the cabinet

HOSE B ROMERO
21-09-2019, 02:36 PM
Match to be shown live on Channel 7.

Mutz
22-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Not here in SA. Anyone know where I can at least get live scores?

HOSE B ROMERO
22-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Not here in SA. Anyone know where I can at least get live scores?

* Download the VFL app to follow live scores and stats for each game.

http://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=125442095&c=1-118-0-518546-0&pool=1001

HOSE B ROMERO
22-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Dogs down 18-13 at half time.

Great to hear that the dogs supporters are louder than the pies.

Go girls!

Testekill
22-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Big problem with Ikon Park besides the wind is the fact that one end is constantly dealing with the sun. Can tell our defenders can barely see anything when trying to get it out of defense

SonofScray
22-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Couldn't make it, am terribly ill.

Watched in between bouts of trying to not die, our girls didn't look like they really got going. Hemmed in, couldn't get territory. Collingwood out marked us and broke the lines better.

GVGjr
22-09-2019, 02:56 PM

Watched in between bouts of trying to not die, our girls didn't look like they really got going. Hemmed in, couldn't get territory. Collingwood out marked us and broke the lines better.

Take care SoS

josie
22-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Pies too good. Our girls should be proud having made the GF. Our defence constantly under attack were pretty good actually. Pies marking and ability to hit targets better than us today. They have a few speedsters too.

Sun was lovely. Our cheer squad in full voice did a stirling job. Loved the half time game with intellectually disabled folks. They were fantastic to watch and their carers were brilliant. Warmed the heart to see them have fun and kick goals.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Hope you recover soon SOS.
Bad day at the office for the women, they'll grow from it.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-09-2019, 05:20 PM
Great effort to get to the gf. Love hearing about the backgrounds of the players.

Daughter of the West
24-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Pies too good. Our girls should be proud having made the GF. Our defence constantly under attack were pretty good actually. Pies marking and ability to hit targets better than us today. They have a few speedsters too.

Sun was lovely. Our cheer squad in full voice did a stirling job. Loved the half time game with intellectually disabled folks. They were fantastic to watch and their carers were brilliant. Warmed the heart to see them have fun and kick goals.

I reckon the half timers loved the cheer squad getting behind them too - a brilliant way to add to their experience.

It was a lovely morning at the footy, results aside. The pies just had us well and truly covered in this instance. My pup didn't really seem to register the result thankfully, just enjoyed the atmosphere and sitting near the cheer squad. I did get into serious trouble for missing the girls running out through the banner though... :(

bornadog
24-09-2019, 10:07 AM
I reckon the half timers loved the cheer squad getting behind them too - a brilliant way to add to their experience.

It was a lovely morning at the footy, results aside. The pies just had us well and truly covered in this instance. My pup didn't really seem to register the result thankfully, just enjoyed the atmosphere and sitting near the cheer squad. I did get into serious trouble for missing the girls running out through the banner though... :(

I hate that ground. Limited public transport and parking a nightmare. Should be bulldozed and returned to public park. :)