PDA

View Full Version : Cash Converters 2019

bulldogtragic
17-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Annual thread for pre-loved players who may or may not be worth anything.

Chris Masten is now a delisted free agent. Hawks, Saints & Suns with limited interest.

chef
17-09-2019, 09:34 PM
Sam Murray has been not offered a contract by the Pies.

Hotdog60
17-09-2019, 10:42 PM
Sam Murray has been not offered a contract by the Pies.

Things go better with coke.

ratsmac
18-09-2019, 07:37 AM
Chris Masten delisted. You would of thought they shopped him around quietly before delisting him but mustn't have had any interest. He's most certainly going to be at Gold Coast next year I'd say.

GVGjr
18-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Chris Masten delisted. You would of thought they shopped him around quietly before delisting him but mustn't have had any interest. He's most certainly going to be at Gold Coast next year I'd say.

For some reason I've never really rated him but he would almost be certain to find a home.

Bulldog Joe
18-09-2019, 08:12 AM

I expect him to land at Hawthorn.

He is exactly the type they continue to collect to keep them at the high end of experience.

The Doctor
18-09-2019, 09:03 AM
Aidan Johnson from Port could be looking for a new home. He's a quick indigenous winger type who can kick a goal & has a high tackle average. Hasn't set the world alight at Port but may be better off in a different system. Was a highly rated junior.

1eyedog
18-09-2019, 09:16 AM
For some reason I've never really rated him but he would almost be certain to find a home.

He was the turn over king this finals series.

Bulldog4life
18-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Same. He has never real ramped it up when I have seen him play.

mjp
18-09-2019, 10:37 AM

That's because he cannot kick.

His disposal is not at AFL standard. I would be very surprised if he finds another home.

Axe Man
18-09-2019, 11:51 AM
AFL.com.au understands fellow uncontracted veteran Will Schofield is set to be offered a one-year deal for 2020 but is weighing his options.

If by some chance other key back options don't eventuate would you offer Schofield 2 years to fill a key back sized hole?

30 years old and 196cm.

GVGjr
18-09-2019, 12:03 PM
He was the turn over king this finals series.

That's because he cannot kick.

His disposal is not at AFL standard. I would be very surprised if he finds another home.

Agreed but I think he will find a home if he is prepared to move interstate and probably take a pay cut
What was he pick 3? It begs the question about how does a midfielder go so early in the draft when his kicking isn't good enough

KT31
18-09-2019, 12:09 PM
If by some chance other key back options don't eventuate would you offer Schofield 2 years to fill a key back sized hole?

30 years old and 196cm.

I really like the idea of Schofield for a couple of years, although he did fall over when Hawkins just tapped him.:)

Mofra
18-09-2019, 12:14 PM

30 years old and 196cm.
I'm all in on Keath personally. I suspect if that falls through we wouldn't have had the time to court Schofield.

1eyedog
18-09-2019, 12:34 PM
I really like the idea of Schofield for a couple of years, although he did fall over when Hawkins just tapped him.:)

He lacks strength one on one.

GVGjr
18-09-2019, 02:10 PM

How Phil Davis of him

Twodogs
18-09-2019, 05:54 PM
How Phil Davis of him

*!*!*!*!ing Phil Davis. I've hated some players over my footy journey but none quite like the way I hate him.

Mofra
18-09-2019, 06:00 PM
SEN reporting Keath is likely to go to Hawthorn now.

Given this is the cheapies thread... Casbault? Has played ok this year as a KPD, can certainly take the big boys and also run in the ruck. I prefer other options but if we miss out he'd be cheap if we wave a two year deal in front of him.

Happy Days
18-09-2019, 06:07 PM

Piss off. How.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2019, 06:18 PM

Given this is the cheapies thread... Casbault? Has played ok this year as a KPD, can certainly take the big boys and also run in the ruck. I prefer other options but if we miss out he'd be cheap if we wave a two year deal in front of him.

The Hun article last week calling us closing in on Martin, Keath & Bruce might be shakey.......

Bulldog4life
18-09-2019, 06:20 PM

Maybe that is why we have our eyes on Howard.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Maybe that is why we have our eyes on Howard.

John? He’ll probably go to Hawthorn or Melbourne too.

GVGjr
18-09-2019, 06:29 PM
*!*!*!*!ing Phil Davis. I've hated some players over my footy journey but none quite like the way I hate him.

Snoopy Davis, you pat him a couple of times and he flops down for a nap.

Rocket Science
18-09-2019, 06:29 PM
How much of this reporting on the supposed dithering of recruits is floated by agents trying to gain maximum leverage on new contract values?

A lot I'd wager.

GVGjr
18-09-2019, 06:30 PM

For a short term solution I think he'd be worth having a talk to. He's no star but goes OK in a few positions

mjp
18-09-2019, 06:31 PM
What was he pick 3? It begs the question about how does a midfielder go so early in the draft when his kicking isn't good enough

Well, his kicking is good enough. But not for the role he plays. Or, put another way, he isn't quite good enough to play in his 'best' position and he has weaknesses in his game that are magnified by the position he plays.

Juniors = ball winner, inside mid. Kicking important but a lot of excuses offered.
Seniors = inside/outside mid. Kicking suddenly critical and no excuses afforded.

The point you make is a fair one - how does a player considered worthy of the number #1 overall pick not have a good enough kick to play as an outside mid at AFL level.

Well - AFL footy isn't a different level to junior footy. It's a different sport.
Sometimes, little technical issues are really hard to fix because - unlike, say, in a sport like baseball (technical sport, swing the bat at a moving ball controlled by others) replicating the pressure of a game in practice is really really really hard. Read Astroball if you want to understand the example I am talking about and the way J.D. Martinez rebuilt his swing in an off-season...footballers can't really DO that.

So - if a player like Matt Rowell this year gets 'spat outside' because he can't get ahead of the club who drafts him 'inside mids' will his kicking hold up? I think we all say yes, but actually none of us know...and we don't know if he will get a chance to develop slowly and improve or will be forced to deal with the week to week treadmill of playing and therefore never quite get there...

Grantysghost
18-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Keath goes to Hawks do we need to work on our non-indigenous program?

Grantysghost
18-09-2019, 06:48 PM
For a short term solution I think he'd be worth having a talk to. He's no star but goes OK in a few positions

Please no to Casboult.

Axe Man
18-09-2019, 06:49 PM

Our ex-cricketer support program must be lacking.

Grantysghost
18-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Our ex-cricketer support program must be lacking.

Ah of course World Series Cricket was played at Waverley we can't compete with that!

bulldogtragic
18-09-2019, 06:56 PM

No. But "if true", Martin & Keath have knocked back $1.3M combined for a guaranteed 4-5 years. And we've still been told 'no'. That's impressive that three weeks before the trade period for us to offer bigger and longer contracts than 'big clubs' and still be told 'no'.

GVGjr
18-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Please no to Casboult.

I know it won't be a popular suggestion but he's a decent spare parts player in line with the Cash Converters theme.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2019, 06:59 PM
I know it won't be a popular suggestion but he's a decent spare parts player.

Like Roughead?

Grantysghost
18-09-2019, 07:03 PM
No. But "if true", Martin & Keath have knocked back $1.3M combined for a guaranteed 4-5 years. And we've still been told 'no'. That's impressive that three weeks before the trade period for us to offer bigger and longer contracts than 'big clubs' and still be told 'no'.
It's bemusing. Hard to understand, even watching Toyd last night he described the club as a family...
I'm missing something.

GVGjr
18-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Like Roughead?

Maybe it's a decent comparison.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Maybe it's a decent comparison.

So the match committee won't select him?

GVGjr
18-09-2019, 07:53 PM
So the match committee won't select him?

They'll always play the players the trade for

bornadog
18-09-2019, 11:48 PM
It's bemusing. Hard to understand, even watching Toyd last night he described the club as a family...
I'm missing something.

Listening to Moz (refer Audio thread), he also said the players are tight nit and the culture around the locker rooms is so good.

Axe Man
19-09-2019, 10:49 AM
Puopolo appears out the door at Hawthorn - we could do worse for a small forward. Although I haven't seen much of Cavarra he strikes me as a similar type.

Mofra
19-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Puopolo appears out the door at Hawthorn - we could do worse for a small forward. Although I haven't seen much of Cavarra he strikes me as a similar type.
Poppy is cooked.

The Pie Man
19-09-2019, 11:27 AM

I can't find this anywhere online - who reported it?

Axe Man
19-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Poppy is cooked.

Fair enough, I haven't noticed him at all this year.

Mofra
19-09-2019, 12:44 PM
I can't find this anywhere online - who reported it?
SEN, radio. Noting in print.

Happy Days
19-09-2019, 01:13 PM

Be careful with that stuff, it rots your brain.

Grantysghost
20-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Sauce Jacobs has left crows as rfa. I think no, but would he be considered for a couple of years whilst Tim develops?

Axe Man
20-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Sauce Jacobs has left crows as rfa. I think no, but would he be considered for a couple of years whilst Tim develops?

He is leaving to be number 1 ruck at GWS because Mummy is cooked, he isn't going to come to us to likely play the majority of the season in the VFL.

Grantysghost
20-09-2019, 06:13 PM
He is leaving to be number 1 ruck at GWS because Mummy is cooked, he isn't going to come to us to likely play the majority of the season in the VFL.

Actually that makes sense. He would be a good replacement.

The Doctor
21-09-2019, 06:08 PM
What about these?

Cedric Cox - Brisbane

Taken at pick 24 in the 2016 draft. We were very keen on him. He is a quick indigenous winger from Halls creek WA via the North Ballarat Rebels. Has struggled for opportunity so far at the Lions and managing just the 13 games so far. Brisbane are after Callum Ah Chee from Suns so this could diminish his prospects further. He might be gettable? Perhaps a late 3rd rounder?

Aiden Bonar - GWS

Taken with pick 11 at the 2017 draft. He is powerfully built midfielder/forward with good goal sense and a strong tackler. Has only played 6 games with so many midfielders ahead of him at GWS. They might see him as surplus to their needs and may require a salary dump in order to retain the likes of Whitifeld & Cameron coming up. Therefore he might come cheaper than we think. a 3rd rounder?

Aidyn Johnson - Port Adelaide

Taken with pick 45 at the 2015 draft. An indigenous former AFL academy member from Bendigo who is a quick winger/flanker type with good goal sense. Has managed just 11 games in his career so far. He is also out of contract. I doubt he would cost much.

Twodogs
21-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Is Johnson a Bendigo boy Doc or did his footy take him to the rebels from out of town?

The Doctor
21-09-2019, 07:00 PM
He came from within the Bendigo Pioneers catchment as far as I know.

jeemak
21-09-2019, 08:36 PM

Be careful with that stuff, it rots your brain.

Absolutely correct. I listened to it flat out for a few years around 2008-2011 and it literally made me regress mentally and emotionally. The advertisements (Franco on the not yet connected toilet, you know, because ethnics), the hullabaloo, KB and other presenters turning the whip around and bludgeoning dead horses with the handle instead of moving on. Tim Watson and Andy Maher on the ill-informed issue merry go round every single morning, and finally, the talk back.

It was absolute poison and I can't see how it's gotten any better.

GVGjr
22-09-2019, 08:29 AM
What about these?

Cedric Cox - Brisbane

Taken at pick 24 in the 2016 draft. We were very keen on him. He is a quick indigenous winger from Halls creek WA via the North Ballarat Rebels. Has struggled for opportunity so far at the Lions and managing just the 13 games so far. Brisbane are after Callum Ah Chee from Suns so this could diminish his prospects further. He might be gettable? Perhaps a late 3rd rounder?

Aiden Bonar - GWS

Taken with pick 11 at the 2017 draft. He is powerfully built midfielder/forward with good goal sense and a strong tackler. Has only played 6 games with so many midfielders ahead of him at GWS. They might see him as surplus to their needs and may require a salary dump in order to retain the likes of Whitifeld & Cameron coming up. Therefore he might come cheaper than we think. a 3rd rounder?

Aidyn Johnson - Port Adelaide

Taken with pick 45 at the 2015 draft. An indigenous former AFL academy member from Bendigo who is a quick winger/flanker type with good goal sense. Has managed just 11 games in his career so far. He is also out of contract. I doubt he would cost much.

Terrific recommendations Doc that really fit the Cash Converters theme

I'd suggest that the Lions are probably in no rush to let Cedric Cox out of his contract early but 13 games in 3 years isn't much of a return for given he was an early enough selection. A 3rd rounder seems about right but it could also be just a flip flop of 3rd round picks ie our pick #41 for their pick #51 and Cox if they're keen to open up list spots.

Aiden Bonar is an interesting one. He's struggled since he arrived at the club with injuries but as you have noted he's versatile and a stronger tackler especially up forward. Clearing some salary cap could be a huge consideration for them plus they have a lot of players that will come back from injuries next season which potentially pushes Bonar further back in the order
Once again, a 3rd rounder would be in the mix.

Aidyn Johnson has just struggled with form and injuries but he's highly athletic and could be worth bringing him in

With spots on our list at premium at the moment we probably only have room for one, perhaps two of the players but all three of them wouldn't cost a anything more than later picks.

Great suggestions

GVGjr
22-09-2019, 08:48 AM
A few other names to consider but with likely limited appeal

Ben Keays from Brisbane is an out of favor midfielder from the Lions who's out of contract. We were interested in him in the past

Nick Robertson - Experienced defender or midfielder who is adept at tagging or shutting opposition players. Out of contract at the Lions

Wylie Buzza - has struggled for games at Geelong but as a KPP can play forward and is useful in the ruck. Out of contract and perhaps a more versatile back up option than Zac Smith

bornadog
22-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Aiden Bonar is an interesting one. He's struggled since he arrived at the club with injuries but as you have noted he's versatile and a stronger tackler especially up forward. Clearing some salary cap could be a huge consideration for them plus they have a lot of players that will come back from injuries next season which potentially pushes Bonar further back in the order

He looked like a pretty good junior and I am surprised he hasn't played more, but I guess injuries haven't helped.

Happy Days
22-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Ben Keays from Brisbane is an out of favor midfielder from the Lions who's out of contract. We were interested in him in the past

Nick Robertson - Experienced defender or midfielder who is adept at tagging or shutting opposition players. Out of contract at the Lions

Wylie Buzza - has struggled for games at Geelong but as a KPP can play forward and is useful in the ruck. Out of contract and perhaps a more versatile back up option than Zac Smith

I was interested in Keays based on some outstanding NEAFL form but he really got shown up in his chances at the top level this year. He's just not quick enough to play the role he's been groomed for.

Robertson might have saved his career with that performance on Whitfield. Could address some concerns that arose out of our finals exit but he's a total liability with the ball in hand and I don't know if what he brings is enough to counter-balance his weaknesses.

I don't see it with Buzza and we'd be making the play based on theoretical upside and nothing more.

Bulldog Joe
22-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Aiden Bonar - GWS

How does a player who has been on the list for just the mandatory 2 yr draftee contract constitute a salary dump?

They would simply be replaced by another draftee on the same wage.

Bulldog Joe
22-09-2019, 12:14 PM

While Buzza may not be any chance of regular games, I would agree that he has more going for him as a back up than Zac Smith.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2019, 12:16 PM
How does a player who has been on the list for just the mandatory 2 yr draftee contract constitute a salary dump?

They gave him a two year extension in about $400,000 a season.

GVGjr
22-09-2019, 12:54 PM

They gave him a two year extension in about $400,000 a season.

As BT mentioned, they over committed to him, they can get a player to replace for less than half of that. It's a small reduction but if he's behind in the pecking order and they get a draft pick it might help

Bulldog Joe
22-09-2019, 12:59 PM
As BT mentioned, they over committed to him, they can get a player to replace for less than half of that. It's a small reduction but if he's behind in the pecking order and they get a draft pick it might help

That is poor list management if true. With all the salary cap pressure they have been under, it just has no logic.

The Doctor
22-09-2019, 02:39 PM
That is poor list management if true. With all the salary cap pressure they have been under, it just has no logic.

Which is why I listed him

The Doctor
23-09-2019, 05:01 PM

I see him as someone potentially filling the giant void left by Clay Smith's sad premature retirement. Bonar can play forward and hit the scoreboard, can do his bit in midfield, has some physical presence and can tackle. He ticks a lot of those boxes and I think his frame is only going to become more imposing as he matures physically. He could imo be that pressure forward that is more of a beast than the small forward prototype.

GVGjr
23-09-2019, 05:40 PM
I see him as someone potentially filling the giant void left by Clay Smith's sad premature retirement. Bonar can play forward and hit the scoreboard, can do his bit in midfield, has some physical presence and can tackle. He ticks a lot of those boxes and I think his frame is only going to become more imposing as he matures physically. He could imo be that pressure forward that is more of a beast than the small forward prototype.
Given his upside I wonder if the 200K a season they might save between him and another youngster might not look too bad if they were to win the flag

We are in a good position to cover the financials but it's harder to justify much more than a 3rd rounder for his services

azabob
23-09-2019, 08:37 PM
Early on I liked the look of Connor Menadue from the tigers. He is a tall winger who was drafted in 2014 (Spotswoos lad) and has struggled for a regular senior game. He was drafted as an outside runner with good skills. Due to his inability to hold down a regular spot Richmond have thrown him around a bit as an inside mid and a half back flanker in their VFL team. Likely to be delisted at the end of 2019 he could be a handy addition and provide depth for the second wing spot opposite Lachie Hunter and plan b for Isaac Smith.

GVGjr
23-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Early on I liked the look of Connor Menadue from the tigers. He is a tall winger who was drafted in 2014 (Spotswoos lad) and has struggled for a regular senior game. He was drafted as an outside runner with good skills. Due to his inability to hold down a regular spot Richmond have thrown him around a bit as an inside mid and a half back flanker in their VFL team. Likely to be delisted at the end of 2019 he could be a handy addition and provide depth for the second wing spot opposite Lachie Hunter and plan b for Isaac Smith.

I'd be surprised if we rated him

Happy Days
23-09-2019, 10:43 PM
I'd be surprised if we rated him

Same. He's very slight and can really get under the ball when he kicks it.

Twodogs
23-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Same. He's very slight and can really get under the ball when he kicks it.

Yep, when he plays there are suddenly more helicopters than there were in 'nam!

The Doctor
03-10-2019, 08:23 AM
A couple of Footscray nominations that we could consider with late/rookie picks

Anthony Scott - had a great year with Footscray. Looks AFL quality to me as a half forward.

Reuben William - my annual shout out to give him a go!

bornadog
03-10-2019, 09:17 AM

Anthony Scott - had a great year with Footscray. Looks AFL quality to me as a half forward.

Reuben William - my annual shout out to give him a go!

Scott won the B&F last night

The Doctor
03-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Angus Baker - Canberra (NEAFL)

21yo 191cm rebounding defender who won the NEAFL/Rising Star. Former Swans academy player who hurt his knee a couple of years ago. Prolific at NEAFL level with high disposal numbers across half back. Can kick. Another late pick/rookie option.

Mofra
03-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Angus Baker - Canberra (NEAFL)

21yo 191cm rebounding defender who won the NEAFL/Rising Star. Former Swans academy player who hurt his knee a couple of years ago. Prolific at NEAFL level with high disposal numbers across half back. Can kick. Another late pick/rookie option.
Not sure it's a position of need, but then again I really really rate Lachie Young.

The Anthony Scott suggestion is a good one. At a similar age wasn't Dicko heading back to Noble Park for a season? If he's quick enough to chase and tackle he could be a late pick option.

macca
03-10-2019, 11:39 PM
Not sure it's a position of need, but then again I really really rate Lachie Young.

The Anthony Scott suggestion is a good one. At a similar age wasn't Dicko heading back to Noble Park for a season? If he's quick enough to chase and tackle he could be a late pick option.
Can anyone please share what they have seen of scott? Strengths .... areas where he could play . Would love to hear any feedback as I don’t get to see vfl games at all.
Thanks in advance

Smads57
04-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Can anyone please share what they have seen of scott? Strengths .... areas where he could play . Would love to hear any feedback as I don’t get to see vfl games at all.
Thanks in advance

My thoughts re Scott - firstly, a huge loss leading into the finals when he did his hamstring in the final round of the season. He adds goal kicking nous to hard running and football smarts. Not necessarily quick nor overly tall, but makes a difference with ball in hand.

Clearly the VFL's best player and no surprise when he won the BnF. Suspect if we don't take him, then another club will. (Would certainly add some equality to the GCS list).

Would we draft him - depends, like many others I think we need a small fwd that can kick goals (tick), tackle (tick) and is fast (no tick).

lemmon
11-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Is Josh Jenkins starting to get into this territory? I don't think he's a best 22 player, but we could have a worse reserve playing at Footscray and jumping in when needed.

GVGjr
11-10-2019, 12:43 PM
Is Josh Jenkins starting to get into this territory? I don't think he's a best 22 player, but we could have a worse reserve playing at Footscray and jumping in when needed.

He kicks 2 goals a game, can play in the ruck and will play for 200K and match payments which is a bargain but....if we get Bruce we don't need him unless it was as a back-up ruckman

Very unlikely to be considered but he is a good enough player

lemmon
11-10-2019, 01:46 PM
He kicks 2 goals a game, can play in the ruck and will play for 200K and match payments which is a bargain but....if we get Bruce we don't need him unless it was as a back-up ruckman

I'd be thinking ruck cover. He's mobile, runs all day and is a marking threat around the ground - fits the Bevo ruck mould.

The Adelaide Connection
11-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Seems like a genuinely good bloke too. I say offer him the chance. He is a significant upgrade on Gardner as a depth player if nothing else.

whythelongface
11-10-2019, 03:42 PM
Seems like a genuinely good bloke too. I say offer him the chance. He is a significant upgrade on Gardner as a depth player if nothing else.

That is a good point that he is a significant upgrade on Gardner. For us he would be good cover. Whether he is interested in being behind the likes of Naughton, Schache and Bruce* is another thing. On his day he is a good enough player to hold a down a spot on a senior list.

Certainly worth considering.

Mofra
11-10-2019, 03:51 PM
I doubt Bevo wants anyone who openly leaks to the media

The Doctor
17-10-2019, 06:45 PM
A couple of delistings today that could be worth a look

Wylie Buzza 23yo 199cm from Geelong could be ruck/forward depth

Kaiden Brand 24yo 198cm from Hawthorn as key defender depth

GVGjr
17-10-2019, 09:24 PM
A couple of delistings today that could be worth a look

Wylie Buzza 23yo 199cm from Geelong could be ruck/forward depth

Kaiden Brand 24yo 198cm from Hawthorn as key defender depth

Good suggestions Doc

Axe Man
21-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Ben Keays - the player whose name we called out in the 2015 draft before Josh Dunkley's has been delisted by the Lions.

Obviously we were once interested, possibly worth a rookie spot? 22 year old, 186cm mid / forward - probably not an area of great need.

Mantis
21-10-2019, 06:04 PM
Any interest in Nick Robertson who has also been delisted from the Lions. Obviously not the most talented player who has been on an AFL list, but works hard and has the ability to run with players as seen in the Semi Final against GWS when he shut out Whitfield who scorched us the week before... Not sure if Whitfield was under the weather, but Robertson worked him over.

GVGjr
21-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Any interest in Nick Robertson who has also been delisted from the Lions. Obviously not the most talented player who has been on an AFL list, but works hard and has the ability to run with players as seen in the Semi Final against GWS when he shut out Whitfield who scorched us the week before... Not sure if Whitfield was under the weather, but Robertson worked him over.

I mentioned him the other day and I think there is merit to look at a player like him.
Would we likely use him in a run with role? Just doesn't appear to be in our planning

Go_Dogs
21-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Ben Keays and James Rose both interest me.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Can I be a pain in the arse, as in more than usual?

Are you interested in (insert name here) as a DFA so cutting Dickson? Or as a DFA and us forcing/paying out a fringe player? Or as a rookie?

Go_Dogs
21-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Can I be a pain in the arse, as in more than usual?

Are you interested in (insert name here) as a DFA so cutting Dickson? Or as a DFA and us forcing/paying out a fringe player? Or as a rookie?

I would look at the names I posted above as rookie list options or last spot on the list if we don't rate the depth at the tail end of the draft - can we take one in the draft? I'm happy to offer Dickson another year.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2019, 09:13 PM
I would look at the names I posted above as rookie list options or last spot on the list if we don't rate the depth at the tail end of the draft - can we take one in the draft? I'm happy to offer Dickson another year.

If we take them in the last spot on the list as a DFA then Dicko/fringe player has to get cut.

I'm assuming we aren't using pick 89 and upgrading La Young. If we aren't looking to do that, then any delisted players who have been overlooked by all 18 clubs as DFAs could then nominate for the national draft and then slide to Pick 89. I'm assuming the half decent delisted players won't be there by then, especially if there's competition for them by multiple clubs.

Interesting list decisions if we want these guys. Delisting Dicko, Roarke &/or Gardener (&/or La Young upgraded) are the key to a cash converters decision it seems.

The Doctor
30-10-2019, 09:38 AM

This thread is probably redundant now it looks like we will only have a couple of picks in the National Draft. The only player I can see as a possibility now is Anthony Scott possibly with pick 53. I think we would more likely go for one of our own than say a Ben Keays type.

Smads57
30-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Having watched Scott perform in many games this year at VFL level, I would put him in front of Cavarra, R Smith, Gardiner in terms of contribution to team - his selection would depend on whether we need a player of his type, or deem speed the most important aspect of a small fwd.

Mofra
30-10-2019, 01:10 PM
This thread is probably redundant now it looks like we will only have a couple of picks in the National Draft. The only player I can see as a possibility now is Anthony Scott possibly with pick 53. I think we would more likely go for one of our own than say a Ben Keays type.
We were linked with him a year earlier when he was runner up in the VAFA A grade (to Ayce Cordy!)