B: Suckling - Le. Young - Wood
HB: JJ - Keath - Crozier
C: Hunter - Dunkley - Richards
HF: Schache - Bruce - McLean
F: Lloyd - Naughton - Dale
R: English - Bontempelli - Macrae
Int: Smith, Liberatore, Daniel, Lipinski
Emerg: Williams, Trengove, Wallis, Duryea

Then: Cordy, West, Hayes, Vandermeer, Gowers, Cavarra, Jong, Greene, Lynch, Porter, La Young, Sweet, Khamis,

Outs: ? Webb, Roberts, Dickson, Gardner, Roarke
More ins: ?

Rocket Science
26-09-2019, 05:52 PM
I'm in love.

My chief concern though is the forward set-up needs a small, high-energy tackling machine and I'm not sure we have one.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2019, 05:55 PM
I'm in love.

My chief concern though is the forward set-up needs a small, high-energy tackling machine and I'm not sure we have one.

Jamie Elliott would fix that, but I will leave that for the trade thread. I agree, I'd move Dale to half forward and a pressure forward on the full forward line.

Bulldog4life
26-09-2019, 06:05 PM

Then: Cordy, West, Hayes, Vandermeer, Gowers, Cavarra, Jong, Greene, Lynch, Porter, La Young, Sweet, Khamis,

Bt Cordy is a love child of yours. What's going on mate?

comrade
26-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Getting Keath should cause a flow on effect which will allow Cordy to focus on becoming our lock down Dylan Grimes type/Dale Morris replacement. He’s been punching above his weight division for years.

S Coast Simon
26-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Gee that is a bloody good team. I would be keeping Cordy for sure to play the role of Morris as others have said. Now is his chance to be the player he should be. I too think dale further out with a dare I say it Dalhaus type. The one we first recruited. I find it difficult to think with the head not the heart.

B. Cordy Le Young Crozier
HB jj Keath Wood
C Hunter Dunkley Lipinski
HF Dale Schache Maclean
F Bruce Naughton Daniel
FO English Bont Macrae
Int Libba Smith Suckling Lloyd

A few tough calls but would love to see this come to fruition

bulldogtragic
26-09-2019, 07:25 PM
Bt Cordy is a love child of yours. What's going on mate?

Too many good players! :D

AshMac
26-09-2019, 07:59 PM

Would love it if Le. Young takes a huge leap forward next year. We need a solid full back. Competition for spots will be really tight next year if we can keep our boys fit.

Still have high hopes for B williams and am perplexed at how far backward he went this year.

Twodogs
26-09-2019, 09:03 PM

Gee that is a bloody good team. I would be keeping Cordy for sure to play the role of Morris as others have said. Now is his chance to be the player he should be. I too think dale further out with a dare I say it Dalhaus type. The one we first recruited. I find it difficult to think with the head not the heart.

HB jj Keath Wood
C Hunter Dunkley Lipinski
HF Dale Schache Maclean
F Bruce Naughton Daniel
FO English Bont Macrae
Int Libba Smith Suckling Lloyd

A few tough calls but would love to see this come to fruition

Those teams are comparable best 22 with any team in the comp. They are a little short in depth in the 18-24 spots but if we can keep our best team out on the park we will give it a huge shake next year.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Would love it if Le. Young takes a huge leap forward next year. We need a solid full back. Competition for spots will be really tight next year if we can keep our boys fit.

Still have high hopes for B williams and am perplexed at how far backward he went this year.

Will Williams be part of the deal to get a Keith to the dogs?

Can’t wait for 2020. With Keith we will see Wood play that interception type and back to his AA form

dukedog
26-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Will Williams be part of the deal to get a Keith to the dogs?

Can’t wait for 2020. With Keith we will see Wood play that interception type and back to his AA form

Just signed on.... I mean. Possibly ...but that's some real mind game stuff if it happens.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-09-2019, 10:15 PM
Just signed on.... I mean. Possibly ...but that's some real mind game stuff if it happens.

I haven’t been this excited after a home and away season since the Barry Hall signing

Well apart from 2016 ��

GVGjr
27-09-2019, 08:04 AM
With the very likely inclusion of book end key position players on paper we already have a very strong playing list.
We are still a bit light on for a versatile back up ruckman and probably some midfield depth but we do have substantial depth for mid sized defenders and forwards.

I hope we can find a tagger or at least reset someone already on our list into that sort of player.

We will be more than competitive next season.

S Coast Simon
27-09-2019, 09:12 AM
Not sure if we will see a full time tagger in Bevo’s reign. We will see it used as a tactic but not full time. He seems a bit of old school thinking. He is not real keen on Leon Cameron at the moment as he has displayed a win at all costs attitude. Doesn’t care what it takes to get the glory. . I think Bevo has a bit of concern regarding the game as a whole (will have to been in a position of power one day as not many care for the state of the game like he does). From my perspective it seems that Bevo views this role as detriment to the game, a bit negative, a sort of desperation tactic. Bevo wants the best players doing their thing and if it means we don’t win them all then so be it. I think he would prefer to not win rather than to win by using negative or dirty tactics.

GVGjr
27-09-2019, 09:42 AM
Not sure if we will see a full time tagger in Bevo’s reign. We will see it used as a tactic but not full time. He seems a bit of old school thinking. He is not real keen on Leon Cameron at the moment as he has displayed a win at all costs attitude. Doesn’t care what it takes to get the glory. . I think Bevo has a bit of concern regarding the game as a whole (will have to been in a position of power one day as not many care for the state of the game like he does). From my perspective it seems that Bevo views this role as detriment to the game, a bit negative, a sort of desperation tactic. Bevo wants the best players doing their thing and if it means we don’t win them all then so be it. I think he would prefer to not win rather than to win by using negative or dirty tactics.

I think the old school thinking is that taggers have a place, Bevo backs his midfield to win which given the quality of ours is a reasonable position. When we played Carlton early in the season and got touched up Cripps dominated (3 Brownlow votes) and had 37 possessions. When we played them a few weeks later Macrae put some work into him and from memory he had a more reasonable 25 possession game and we had a close win. Macrae had 37 possessions that game

There is a place for taggers or if you want to call it run with players and I hope we give it some thought for 2020

bornadog
27-09-2019, 09:46 AM
There is a place for taggers or if you want to call it run with players and I hope we give it some thought for 2020

Do you think this is something Mclean could do? He seems like he doesn't have a spot.

1eyedog
27-09-2019, 10:14 AM
I'm in love.

McLean?

GVGjr
27-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Do you think this is something Mclean could do? He seems like he doesn't have a spot.

Perhaps but I don't share the belief that he doesn't have a spot.
I still believe he has a lot to offer us but if he has the pace, strength and stamina to become a run with player it might be worth looking at. Most players are capable of it it's more about if they want to sacrifice their game a bit. For most players it would be a hard task to do week after week.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Bruce and Keath, you beauty.
'Hallelujah, lujah
When you hear the trumpet blast,
Then you know you're home at last,
Open up them pearly goals for me,
Hallelujah. lujah'.

Just realised both their surnames are like first names. Its a sign! And both left footers, ha. We must be the most lefty org since the painters and dockers were banned

BornInDroopSt'54
27-09-2019, 11:18 AM
McLean?

No not Michael.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-09-2019, 08:58 PM
So two big fish locked away and well suit to our needs.

Two others still in play and linked to the Dogs. Zac Smith and Jamie Elliott. Smith would cost pretty much nothing but Elliot would cost us. Would these two be the icing on the cake or do we go to the draft and bs kin recutting guys.

I must also say with the turn over of the list after the 2016 season. To be in this position stion is a huge surprise but a most welcome one.

G-Mo77
28-09-2019, 11:45 AM

McLean is pretty hand around the goals it's not a role I'd have him playing.

Wallis would be our best suited for a tagger IMO.

bornadog
28-09-2019, 01:46 PM
McLean is pretty hand around the goals it's not a role I'd have him playing.

Wallis would be our best suited for a tagger IMO.

I worry about Mclean at the moment, he didn't have a very good year and looked lost on the HFF.

Mantis
28-09-2019, 07:56 PM
I worry about Mclean at the moment, he didn't have a very good year and looked lost on the HFF.

Chuck him on the table.. he’s worth more to others than he is to us.

The Doctor
29-09-2019, 03:45 PM

Reluctantly agree with this. I think we should at least hear what the market thinks his worth is.

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Reluctantly agree with this. I think we should at least hear what the market thinks his worth is.

It don't think we quite have the midfield depth to lose a player like McLean without getting something very decent in return
He didn't quite finish the season off as we would have liked but are we reacting a bit quickly?

He averaged 15.6 possessions a game which is well down on the previous 2 years and was probably pushed back in the midfield rotations with Dunkley's emergence as a midfield beast and Bailey Smith's outstanding debut season. The imminent return of Liberatore is another hurdle for him.

If we are just getting a 2nd rounder in return is that sufficient compensation? I doubt we could get much more than that

strebla
29-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Well if we do get Elliott this is what is best for us and him. Going forward I don't have him in my best 22 but I wouldn't be giving him up for anything under about pick 22

azabob
29-09-2019, 05:40 PM
A few changes to BT's best 22.

*Trengove ahead of Lewis Young. We need a lock down gorilla defender. Keith can play the intercept attacking role and Trengove to be the lock down defender
*I still have Dickson best 22 and he deserves another contract.
*Players spots up for grabs: Trengove, Richards, Dale, Lloyd, Dickson

B: Suckling Trengove Wood
HB: Johannisen Keath Crozier
C: Hunter Dunkley Richards
HF: Schache Bruce Lipinski
F: Dickson Naughton Dale
R: English Bontempelli Macrae
Int: Smith, Liberatore, Daniel, Lloyd
Emerg: Williams, Wallis, Duryea

azabob
29-09-2019, 05:41 PM
I hope we can find a tagger or at least reset someone already on our list into that sort of player.

Does Mitch Wallis have the athletic attributes to be that player?

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Does Mitch Wallis have the athletic attributes to be that player?

He's done it before, particularly in the early days of his career, with varying levels of success. We probably need 3 players on the list capable of shutting down opposition players rather than just having one player do it week after week

soupman
30-09-2019, 03:13 PM
It don't think we quite have the midfield depth to lose a player like McLean without getting something very decent in return

We have just about the deepest midfield going around, and seem to uncover at least one a year with ease so depth wise we have him covered.

Our midfield depth chart reads roughly:
Bontempelli
Macrae
Dunkley
Hunter
Smith
Lipinski
Mclean
Wallis
Hayes
Liberatore
Jong
Porter
Webb

Lloyd is also able to play there, West is expecting to be rotated through and Williams has been unable to find a spot there yet despite training a whole pre-season in that area.

I completely agree we won't get sufficient compensation back for him unless it's a player for player type deal, but hos output this year was marginally better than what West showed he can contribute so it isn't like he is a huge loss, and we aren't expecting any of the 6 guys (arguably 9 seeing as Wallis, Hayes and Liberatore all saw more gametime there than Toby) ahead of him to drop off any time soon.

Mantis
01-10-2019, 08:06 PM
He didn't quite finish the season off as we would have liked but are we reacting a bit quickly?

He averaged 15.6 possessions a game which is well down on the previous 2 years and was probably pushed back in the midfield rotations with Dunkley's emergence as a midfield beast and Bailey Smith's outstanding debut season. The imminent return of Liberatore is another hurdle for him.

If we are just getting a 2nd rounder in return is that sufficient compensation? I doubt we could get much more than that

But McLean wasn’t used in the midfield rotations and when he did he wasn’t all that effective... I don’t think he won a clearance in the last 3 months of the season which is a huge regress in what he showed in the first half of 2018 when he was one of our few improvers.

I like Toby, but he is stuck in no mans land with us so he either works his ass off to be given more opportunities to play in the midfield or on a wing or he sees what else is out there for him.

S Coast Simon
07-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Nice one Saints. Tell a bloke he won’t be offered a contract beyond next year then play hardball at the trade table because he is a required player next year. Would make you feel wanted to know they only want you to fill a gap next year then we are done with you.

Go_Dogs
08-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Nice one Saints. Tell a bloke he won’t be offered a contract beyond next year then play hardball at the trade table because he is a required player next year. Would make you feel wanted to know they only want you to fill a gap next year then we are done with you.

Alarm bells for players considering the Saints. Even if we don't want you, we will hold you over a barrel!

AshMac
09-10-2019, 06:23 PM
I’d love to see Mclean groomed as a permanent small forward. He is great overhead, knows where the goals are, skilled with the ball, and can weave in pressure - he played all his junior footy as a forward - to me it seems a no brainer.

bornadog
09-10-2019, 06:54 PM
I’d love to see Mclean groomed as a permanent small forward. He is great overhead, knows where the goals are, skilled with the ball, and can weave in pressure - he played all his junior footy as a forward - to me it seems a no brainer.

That is what he was doing this year.

A PREMIERSHIP forward after 19 games, Western Bulldogs star Toby McLean will return to attack this season as the Dogs search for greater avenues to goal.

A breakout midfielder last season, the 23-year-old is set to be deployed in the forward 50 as Luke Beveridge prepares for deeper options in the centre square.story here (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-16/off-the-leash-dog-mclean-looking-a-little-angrier-set-to-attack-2019)

1eyedog
09-10-2019, 07:18 PM

Agreed. It didn't work this season for one reason or another but my opinion is he played too high.

AshMac
11-10-2019, 09:25 AM
That is what he was doing this year.

He didn’t play the whole season as a small forward. He was moved up the ground a fair bit, given a couple of weeks running through the middle and to be honest spent the rest of the games he played in no mans land. I’m talking a genuine crumbing forward.

1eyedog
11-10-2019, 12:54 PM
He didn’t play the whole season as a small forward. He was moved up the ground a fair bit, given a couple of weeks running through the middle and to be honest spent the rest of the games he played in no mans land. I’m talking a genuine crumbing forward.
Agreed and that was what I was getting at. Play him deep. He's smart, a great mark, kicks well and can apply heavy pressure. He needs to become a Picken-type player to survive.

Mantis
14-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Agreed and that was what I was getting at. Play him deep. He's smart, a great mark, kicks well and can apply heavy pressure. He needs to become a Picken-type player to survive.

Doesn’t Bailey Dale play deep? I know players interchange positions readily, but I see Dale as being more effective and with greater scope in that area.

And I’m not sure McLean applies heavy pressure. He is ok in this area, but it isn’t a strength of his game.

Bulldog Joe
14-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Does McLean have the tank to take a wing with the constant running?

His skill set would be well suited if his endurance is there.

Bulldog4life
14-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Caleb does.

GVGjr
14-10-2019, 06:02 PM

Good question but I don't know the answer to it. Just doesn't quite strike me as the winger type like Hunter

Rocco Jones
14-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Good question but I don't know the answer to it. Just doesn't quite strike me as the winger type like Hunter

Yeah I think to play the modern day wing role, kinda back into vogue, you need either:
- explosive speed + good enough tank OR
- elite tank allowing you to go at a decent speed for a long time/cover a tonne of ground (Hunter)

I think McLean's skill set is more suited to more inside type situations. I see him ultimately as a B grade inside mid when we have a trio of A/A+s taking up so much of the time. Libba is ahead of him too when fit and I think Lipsinki is or will be ahead of him too. Then there's Bailey Smith...

McLean really has to add value forward and make the best of his opportunities in his stints in the engine room.

Bulldog Joe
14-10-2019, 10:05 PM
Yeah I think to play the modern day wing role, kinda back into vogue, you need either:
- explosive speed + good enough tank OR
- elite tank allowing you to go at a decent speed for a long time/cover a tonne of ground (Hunter)

I think McLean's skill set is more suited to more inside type situations. I see him ultimately as a B grade inside mid when we have a trio of A/A+s taking up so much of the time. Libba is ahead of him too when fit and I think Lipsinki is or will be ahead of him too. Then there's Bailey Smith...

McLean really has to add value forward and make the best of his opportunities in his stints in the engine room.

I might be on my own, but I think McLean is a player who can work on the inside but also outside. He is good in the air and has an ability to get clear and use the ball well.

The only thing I would be concerned with is how much repeat effort he can provide. I see him well suited to a wing position if he can produce the necessary repeat running effort.

AshMac
15-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Agree. He is so classy in traffic around the forward 50 and knows where the goals are.

1eyedog
15-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Doesn’t Bailey Dale play deep? I know players interchange positions readily, but I see Dale as being more effective and with greater scope in that area.

And I’m not sure McLean applies heavy pressure. He is ok in this area, but it isn’t a strength of his game.

Np I disagree.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2019, 09:24 PM

And a pick 13 kid maybe too. Looks better knowing their ours for sure.

merantau
20-10-2019, 09:07 PM
I want Trengove in the 22 Round 1. We are definitely in a good position to have a real crack at it.

AshMac
22-10-2019, 08:34 AM
I want Trengove in the 22 Round 1. We are definitely in a good position to have a real crack at it.

Who comes out of the round 23 team to allow JT and Keath in? Assuming you also want Keath in R1

The Doctor
22-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Western Bulldogs

B: Wood, Cordy, Crozier
HB: JJ, Keath, Suckling
C: Hunter, Dunkley, Smith
HF:Schache, Naughton, Dale
F: Dickson, Bruce, Lloyd
R:English, Bont, Macrae
Int: Daniel, Wallis, Duryea, Libba

Footscray

B: Young, Trengove, Khamis
HB: Vandermeer, Young, Lynch
C: Williams, McLean, Richards
HF:Hayes, CHF, Jong
F: Cavarra, FF, Gowers
R: Sweet, Lipinski, West
Int: Porter, Greene,

we are missing a couple of big guys who can play forward

Add up to 6 Draftees/Rookies

emg: Gardner, Roberts, Webb, R.Smith (all uncontracted atm)

GVGjr
22-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Doc, that's tough on Richards, McLean and Lipinski and it's a small IC bench but otherwise a good line-up

Just think we have to play either Trengove or Lewis Young

Mantis
22-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Doc,

It’s a tough job, but the issues I have with your team are:

* I’m not having Cordy playing as a tall defender. He either plays in a BP or on a flank or doesn’t play.
* Can’t see Dickson playing first up (if at all) and especially along with Lloyd & Dale.
* As per GVGjr’s comments I’m not a fan of the bench... think we have better options than many of those in the 2’s.

kruder
22-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Looking at Docs side just highlights to me what a good job Power did over the last trade period. We are at the point with our list that we need clearly best 22 role players rather than play around the periphery.

Would love to replace Dickson(one of my favs) with Papley, I'm glad we didn't go after someone like Bulter would have been around the edges all so.

We have so many similar types around these edges, that it's very difficult to pick a side. Is there a significant difference either way? Thats the question I have.

We need a massive preseason from Richards, he has traits that we lack, there is clearly a role in the 22 for him. I'll give him a pass this year, thought he was the luckiest player on the list but obviously the match committee can see these traits but they weren't there nearly enough.

I'm really excited about La Young. We have depth in his position but it's getting on a bit I think he will be clearly best 22 soon enough.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Doc, that's tough on Richards, McLean and Lipinski and it's a small IC bench but otherwise a good line-up

Just think we have to play either Trengove or Lewis Young

Agree on Trengrove who is best suited at FB against the opposition’s tall key forwards. Lipinski deserves to be played. The recruitment of Keath indicates he is being preferred to Lew Young. Cordy deserves to remain as the third big defender. The jury is still out on Libba to be in our best 22 given his spate of injuries. Dickson given an injury free preseason is hard to ignore given his value as a goal kicker. Believe Duryea and Lach Young offer better skills than Suckling. Richards has pace which isn’t a strength of our smaller brigade

Rocco Jones
22-10-2019, 10:36 PM
B: Wood, Le. Young, Crozier
HB: JJ, Keath, Duryea
C: Hunter, Macrae, B.Smith
HF: Daniel, Naughton, Lloyd
F: Dale, Bruce, Schache
R: English, Bont, Dunkley
Int: McLean, Libba, Suckling, Lipsinki
---------------------------------------------
I wouldn't have Schache locked in. He has to do a lot more now to get a game. Would love to see Richards doing well as we could do with his type. Wally needs to get a body of work going a bit as we have a lot of his type but not discounting early.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2019, 10:45 PM
It looks like a hard team to break into next year. But if those out of the 22 put in good performances, those in the 22 better be performing. I love serious competition.

GVGjr
22-10-2019, 10:45 PM
Footscray

F: Cavarra, FF, Gowers
Int: Porter, Greene,

Add up to 6 Draftees/Rookies

emg: Gardner, Roberts, Webb, R.Smith (all uncontracted atm)

I was listening to Wylie Buzza on SEN yesterday and thought he would be worth considering for a spot
When look at the Footscray team I think we need his type that can play forward and take a turn in the ruck as needed

azabob
23-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Who comes out of the round 23 team to allow JT and Keath in? Assuming you also want Keath in R1

Lewis Young for mine.

bulldogtragic
23-10-2019, 11:15 PM
Yes, we’ve lost some towering figures: Morris, Picken, Boyd, Roberts (AFL P’Ship Players) & Webb (VFL P’Ship Player).

But over the past two years of a maximum 220 games played between them (ie. 5 x 22 games, x2 seasons), their output was just 33 combined games over two years. We are not having to cover their impact on the team, while signing Bruce & Keath (who are highly likely to play more than 33 games combined next year) and a pick 13 quality kid.

The list turnover of five, now formal, already feels like a strong advance moving into Round 1.

Mofra
24-10-2019, 10:44 AM
I was listening to Wylie Buzza on SEN yesterday and thought he would be worth considering for a spot
When look at the Footscray team I think we need his type that can play forward and take a turn in the ruck as needed
We could do worse than rookie him, but the media expect him to head to Port

GVGjr
26-10-2019, 12:10 AM
Our Backline:

Even with the addition of Alex Keath our 2020 list still lacks a key lock down defender and while the form of Cordy wasn't as good as we hoped this year and the selectors lost a small degree of faith with Trengove late in the season I find it difficult not to have at least one of the in the best 22 for next season

To me both Keath and Lewis Young are more the intercept defender types that certainly have their place but are either of them that great as one on one or as a lock down player?

I think our back line has plenty of quality players to pick from but perhaps we are still a key position defender short of an ideal set-up

Really looking forward to see how we may set-up in 2020. JJ and Crozier are quality players, it will be interesting to see if Daniel and Duryea can play consistently together and if Wood can recapture some better form.
It will also be great to see if Lachlan Young can build on his 2019 season.

MrMahatma
26-10-2019, 12:55 AM
B: Wood, Le. Young, Crozier
HB: JJ, Keath, Duryea
C: Hunter, Macrae, B.Smith
HF: Daniel, Naughton, Lloyd
F: Dale, Bruce, Schache
R: English, Bont, Dunkley
Int: McLean, Libba, Suckling, Lipsinki
---------------------------------------------
I wouldn't have Schache locked in. He has to do a lot more now to get a game. Would love to see Richards doing well as we could do with his type. Wally needs to get a body of work going a bit as we have a lot of his type but not discounting early.

Good team. I’d go with that.

S Coast Simon
29-10-2019, 11:22 AM
HB JJ Keath La Young
C Hunter Libba Macrae
HF Daniel Schache Lloyd
FF Bruce Naughton Dickson
Fo English Bont Dunkley
Int B Smith Wood Lipinski Suckling

Cordy to be a lockdown defender if required
Maclean to push hard to replace Suckling
Duryea to try replace Wood
Dale to have to displace Dickson

would really like to see Daniel delivering into the F50. How good would it be to be on the end of his delivery
I like something about Lachie Young. I think after a big preseasons we might see him in the round one side.

bornadog
29-10-2019, 12:02 PM
HB JJ Keath La Young
C Hunter Libba Macrae
HF Daniel Schache Lloyd
Fo English Bont Dunkley

would really like to see Daniel delivering into the F50. How good would it be to be on the end of his delivery
I like something about Lachie Young. I think after a big preseasons we might see him in the round one side.

Captain Wood?

S Coast Simon
29-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Captain Wood?
New era to begin with the Bont handed the captaincy. Have been saying for awhile now that Wood will return to his best once the Captaincy burden is lifted. Perfect example is a Boak this year. New team new captain Wood served us well but time for the Bont to excel

bornadog
29-10-2019, 02:47 PM
New era to begin with the Bont handed the captaincy. Have been saying for awhile now that Wood will return to his best once the Captaincy burden is lifted. Perfect example is a Boak this year. New team new captain Wood served us well but time for the Bont to excel

So you think he is not best 22?

Mantis
29-10-2019, 02:56 PM
So you think he is not best 22?

He named him on the bench.

The Pie Man
29-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Our Backline:

Even with the addition of Alex Keath our 2020 list still lacks a key lock down defender and while the form of Cordy wasn't as good as we hoped this year and the selectors lost a small degree of faith with Trengove late in the season I find it difficult not to have at least one of the in the best 22 for next season

To me both Keath and Lewis Young are more the intercept defender types that certainly have their place but are either of them that great as one on one or as a lock down player?

I think our back line has plenty of quality players to pick from but perhaps we are still a key position defender short of an ideal set-up

Really looking forward to see how we may set-up in 2020. JJ and Crozier are quality players, it will be interesting to see if Daniel and Duryea can play consistently together and if Wood can recapture some better form.
It will also be great to see if Lachlan Young can build on his 2019 season.

I didn't read Trengove's omission as a loss of faith - I figured it was more that Lewis had done enough to keep his spot and Jackson was never going to keep big Tim out of the team as a ruck. In retrospect, we got away with it against Adelaide (despite Walker looking dangerous) and got exposed in the first final.

Trengove's last game in defense for the year was the Essendon game - they were held to a goal until 5 minutes left (not that I'm suggesting he was solely responsible, but it's a good reflection on the back 6/7)

I'd play all Trengove, Keath & Lewis Young and let Wood / Cordy / Lachie Young battle it out for the 4th defender..... I believe any role the Cordy has done to date, Lewis Young could potentially do just as well.

Don't think both Suckling & Duryea can both play defense if everyone is fit. Would rather Caleb move further up the ground. JJ & Crozier are locks, and I suspect Duryea is with the MC as well.

bornadog
29-10-2019, 03:12 PM
He named him on the bench.

Thanks, missed that

hujsh
29-10-2019, 04:17 PM
I didn't read Trengove's omission as a loss of faith - I figured it was more that Lewis had done enough to keep his spot and Jackson was never going to keep big Tim out of the team as a ruck. In retrospect, we got away with it against Adelaide (despite Walker looking dangerous) and got exposed in the first final.

Trengove's last game in defense for the year was the Essendon game - they were held to a goal until 5 minutes left (not that I'm suggesting he was solely responsible, but it's a good reflection on the back 6/7)

I'd play all Trengove, Keath & Lewis Young and let Wood / Cordy / Lachie Young battle it out for the 4th defender..... I believe any role the Cordy has done to date, Lewis Young could potentially do just as well.

Don't think both Suckling & Duryea can both play defense if everyone is fit. Would rather Caleb move further up the ground. JJ & Crozier are locks, and I suspect Duryea is with the MC as well.
The word potential is doing a bit of work there IMO

Bulldog Joe
29-10-2019, 04:57 PM
I don't think Lewis Young is in anyway close to bringing the hardness that Cordy has naturally.

GVGjr
29-10-2019, 05:10 PM
HB JJ Keath La Young
C Hunter Libba Macrae
HF Daniel Schache Lloyd
Fo English Bont Dunkley

Interesting team, you've backed Lachlan Young in. I'm glad you have stuck with Cordy
I don't mind it

jeemak
29-10-2019, 06:17 PM
I'm wondering if we go with only one of Lloyd or Dickson, and back in another midfielder like Wallis to give us some more grunt and fliexibility in the middle.

The Pie Man
29-10-2019, 09:29 PM
I don't think Lewis Young is in anyway close to bringing the hardness that Cordy has naturally.

Yeah.... didn’t think he had a great end to the year (not just the final)

Will be interesting how they structure it

The Doctor
30-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Western Bulldogs

B: Wood, Cordy, Crozier
C: Hunter, Dunkley, Smith
HF:Schache, Naughton, Dale
F: Dickson, Bruce, Lloyd
R:English, Bont, Macrae
Int: Daniel, Wallis, Duryea, Libba

Footscray

F: Cavarra, Gardner, Gowers
Int: Porter, Greene, R.Smith

Add 2/3 Draftees

updated

Dancin' Douggy
30-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Wow……..this really hard. So many quality players have to miss out.

I’m gonna name a team with my ‘non negotiables’ in bold.

My 'toss of a coin' selections in regular type,
and the next in the queue in italics on the side.
These players are interchangeable based on form, and really show the strength and depth of our list…

FB. Wood. Trengove. Cordy. (Duryea. Young. Williams)
HB. Johanissen. Keith. Crozier. (Lynch, Suckling, La Young)
C. Hunter. Dunkley. B. Smith. (Richards. Wallis. West)
HF. Lloyd. Bruce. Schache (Gowers, Green)
FF. Daniel. Naughton. Dickson (dynamic small forward pick 13 I hope)

R. English. Bontempelli. Macrae.

Inter. Liberatore. Maclean. Lipinski. Dale.

jeemak
31-10-2019, 05:10 AM
Wow……..this really hard. So many quality players have to miss out.

I’m gonna name a team with my ‘non negotiables’ in bold.

My 'toss of a coin' selections in regular type,
and the next in the queue in italics on the side.
These players are interchangeable based on form, and really show the strength and depth of our list…

FB. Wood. Trengove. Cordy. (Duryea. Young. Williams)
HB. Johanissen. Keith. Crozier. (Lynch, Suckling, La Young)
C. Hunter. Dunkley. B. Smith. (Richards. Wallis. West)
HF. Lloyd. Bruce. Schache (Gowers, Green)
FF. Daniel. Naughton. Dickson (dynamic small forward pick 13 I hope)

Inter. Liberatore. Maclean. Lipinski. Dale.

Great effort. It's bloody hard.

FB. Wood. Young. Cordy.
HB. Johanissen. Keith. Crozier.
C. Hunter. Dunkley. B. Smith.
HF. Lloyd. Bruce. Schache
FF. Dale. Naughton. Wallis

Inter. Liberatore. Daniel. Lipinski. Gowers.

Dickson is out just because he's old and I reckon he'll take a bit to warm into the season.

I don't see Wallis not being included after likely being in the top couple of runners at the club over preseason, and after all, this is a round one side.

On that note, I think Gowers will put in a good injury free preseason and I think the coaching staff likes what he brings to the side overhead. I also don't see how a guy like Dale can be excluded all things being equal after having one or two bad games amongst excellent games at the end of the year if his preseason goes OK.

Toby is my unlucky out, possibly being the best depth player in the league for round one...….if that's even a thing. I've selected Wallis ahead of him and it could easily be a straight swap, but I just like Wallis that little bit more. The guys on the bench are who they are, if Wallis and Toby were in a toss up for me it would be for the forward pocket spot.

GVGjr
31-10-2019, 06:54 AM

FB. Wood. Young. Cordy.

It's hard to believe that the McLean (which you explained) Suckling, Duryea, Richards are outside of the best 22 which is a sign that we have enough depth given we also have Trengove, Dickson (also explained) West and Hayes all around the mark

We should be aiming high in 2020 and not be prepared to accept too many excuses

Dancin' Douggy
31-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Yes it is hard. I choose Trengove over Young simply on my reaction to the GWS final.
Thought it was a mistake not to have a big hard seasoned body out there. Also he is a genuinely capable ruck back up for English.
But Young could easily take his spot based on pre season form.

As for Gowers, I've just been watching some of last years games, and I honestly don't think his brain works fast enough to respond to our playing style. He is best when he has no time to think. Throwing himself at a long bomb coming in or pouncing on a loose ball he is great. But thinking his way through a complex play he seems to get confused and tangled and fumbly in his thinking and actions. I don't think he can push out Lloyd, Dickson or Dale for one of those spots........... yet.

I've moved Daniel from the backline to the forward pocket because I felt we rebounded faster and longer out of defence without Caleb, even though he was in great individual form down there. He could be, even temporarily, our smart small forward crumber. Keep him close to goal where he could be so dangerous from short range on either foot, whether it's slotting goals or finding targets. Having Daniel sharking the packs under Naughton, Bruce and Schache would give other teams the willies I reckon. A perfect recipe for panicked defenders giving away frees for holding and high tackles.

I hate leaving Richards (pace) and Wallis (heart and soul) out of the 22 but they will have to fight Lipinski and Dale for those last 2 spots. Based on late season form, Lippa and Dale deserve to be named as it stands.

Out of our plethora of smallish-midsized rebounding defenders I think JJ is in without question, being one of our only genuinely fast players, and Crozier has stamped his name firmly on the other flank. It's up to the others to claim that spot off him. Cordy gets the back pocket for his spoonful of mongrel and for his ability to play tall or short. Nobody is pushing into that centreline or midfield over the names named. I CAN'T leave Libba out. And I've given Toby a spot for his X factor and still believe on raw talent he is due for a 'breakout' season.

FB. Wood. Young. Cordy.

Dickson is out just because he's old and I reckon he'll take a bit to warm into the season.

I don't see Wallis not being included after likely being in the top couple of runners at the club over preseason, and after all, this is a round one side.

On that note, I think Gowers will put in a good injury free preseason and I think the coaching staff likes what he brings to the side overhead. I also don't see how a guy like Dale can be excluded all things being equal after having one or two bad games amongst excellent games at the end of the year if his preseason goes OK.

Toby is my unlucky out, possibly being the best depth player in the league for round one...….if that's even a thing. I've selected Wallis ahead of him and it could easily be a straight swap, but I just like Wallis that little bit more. The guys on the bench are who they are, if Wallis and Toby were in a toss up for me it would be for the forward pocket spot.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Not enough love for Duryea - he was a great selection and he fits our structure well. He's in my best 22 and can play small or tallish.

Will be interesting to see where Wallis and Libba are at. I wouldn't have them as walk ups anymore given the likes of Lipinski and Smith, but they tend to find a way to play when fit.

Providing we are healthy, spots will be hard to come by.

jeemak
31-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Not enough love for Duryea - he was a great selection and he fits our structure well. He's in my best 22 and can play small or tallish.

Will be interesting to see where Wallis and Libba are at. I wouldn't have them as walk ups anymore given the likes of Lipinski and Smith, but they tend to find a way to play when fit.

He was excellent at times this year and was only an omission from my team because it's just unbelievably tight. He or Sucking come in if we decide to go more mobile in defence for sure.

Agree on Wallis and Libba, but think both are at the age where a ripper preseason takes them up a notch.

dog town
01-11-2019, 06:22 AM

Providing we are healthy, spots will be hard to come by. Agreed and most teams I have seen look too big. I think Duryea needs to be play on that basis alone but he his form warrants first crack.

With Wood and Crozier who are not genuine smalls we can really only play two of Keath, Young, Cordy, Trengove as backs in my view. My preference would be two of those guys, Wood, Crozier and then the two smalls.

If we persist with Daniel at half back then I think Duryea slots in as the back rotation or even to a wing. On exposed form he has to play though.

comrade
01-11-2019, 08:01 AM

I rated his H&A form highly but he really lowered his colours in the elimination final. I know he wasn't Robinson Crusoe but I was really hoping his Hawks experience would provide us with a calming influence down back and he kind of **** the bed.

Won't hang him on one performance, but I hope it burns over the pre-season and he comes back even better next year.

comrade
06-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Just watched the best 62 moments of our 2016 premiership year (if anyone needs a pick me up, I highly recommend this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfSiqkc4QZo)) and there were multiple moments where Caleb Daniel did some amazing things in the forward half.

Yes, he's not overly quick and he isn't a great tackler but forward pressure is more mindset than physical traits (IMO) and he's so smart with ball in hand, and ultra clean at ground level - why can't we try him again as that small forward we all know we're lacking?

I can't find a spot for him in defence and our last month was a lot more cohesive without him down there in my opinion. I can see him being a problem for opposition defenders at the feet of Naughton and Bruce.

NOTE: Just saw that Dancin' Dougie wrote something similar a few posts up...great minds etc :)

The Doctor
06-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Just watched the best 62 moments of our 2016 premiership year (if anyone needs a pick me up, I highly recommend this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfSiqkc4QZo)) and there were multiple moments where Caleb Daniel did some amazing things in the forward half.

Yes, he's not overly quick and he isn't a great tackler but forward pressure is more mindset than physical traits (IMO) and he's so smart with ball in hand, and ultra clean at ground level - why can't we try him again as that small forward we all know we're lacking?

I can't find a spot for him in defence and our last month was a lot more cohesive without him down there in my opinion. I can see him being a problem for opposition defenders at the feet of Naughton and Bruce.

NOTE: Just saw that Dancin' Dougie wrote something similar a few posts up...great minds etc :)

I've moved Daniel from the backline to the forward pocket because I felt we rebounded faster and longer out of defence without Caleb, even though he was in great individual form down there. He could be, even temporarily, our smart small forward crumber. Keep him close to goal where he could be so dangerous from short range on either foot, whether it's slotting goals or finding targets. Having Daniel sharking the packs under Naughton, Bruce and Schache would give other teams the willies I reckon. A perfect recipe for panicked defenders giving away frees for holding and high tackles.

I'm also an advocate of moving Daniel to the forward line. I agree with DD & Comrade with their reasons for moving him forward. We were quicker moving the ball out of defence when he wasn't there. His movement of the ball often tended to be little chips and dinky passes often not making much in terms of ground. It enabled opposition defences a chance to reset as our rebound was not quick enough. We were playing keepings off in the back half a bit too much.

An interesting stat. With Daniel in the side last season our win/loss ratio was 7/10 with him playing primarily in the backline. When he was out of the side for 5 games we won all of them.

I would like to see him play half forward flank where he can direct play & bring more precise distribution of the ball into our forward 50. His chips and clever short passes will be more effective as he will be trying to hit up targets (and we have multiple options now) in scoring positions more often than not. His connectivity and ball retention rate is elite so we should make maximum use of this where it will hurt the opposition more. He can also push up to the wings to help out in midfield or go deep forward and look for crumbing goals. He is a clever reader of the play such great hands off the deck. I think it's worth a try.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2019, 12:06 PM
HF: Schache - Bruce - Lloyd
F: Weightman - Naughton - Dale
Emerg: Williams, Trengove, Wallis, Duryea, McLean

Then: Cordy, West, Hayes, La Young, Vandermeer, Gowers, Cavarra, Khamis, Jong, Greene, Lynch, Porter, Sweet, Butler, Garcia

I have a feeling that Weightman could surprise on the track and pre season games and be a dedicated small forward. I had McLean in his spot, so I like the balance here. There's some serious competition for spots in my 22. Trengove & Cordy need to fight their day back in. While Wallis & McLean need to fight their way back in as well. While Duryea, Williams & La Young need to fight their way in too, based on my 22. There's going to fierce competition for spots and Footscray should have a good season too.

comrade
29-11-2019, 12:35 PM
HF: Schache - Bruce - Lloyd
F: Weightman - Naughton - Dale
Emerg: Williams, Trengove, Wallis, Duryea, McLean

Then: Cordy, West, Hayes, La Young, Vandermeer, Gowers, Cavarra, Khamis, Jong, Greene, Lynch, Porter, Sweet, Butler, Garcia

I have a feeling that Weightman could surprise on the track and pre season games and be a dedicated small forward. I had McLean in his spot, so I like the balance here. There's some serious competition for spots in my 22. Trengove & Cordy need to fight their day back in. While Wallis & McLean need to fight their way back in as well. While Duryea, Williams & La Young need to fight their way in too, based on my 22. There's going to fierce competition for spots and Footscray should have a good season too.

Good looking side. I think Dale, Weightman, Suckling, Daniel & Libba are our most vulnerable in that best 22. Can easily see West, McLean, Williams, Hayes & Lachie Young all pushing their way up.

Axe Man
29-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Dale, Weightman

https://i.postimg.cc/nrwyMVGn/s-l300.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

comrade
29-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Haha nice catch.

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 02:09 PM

Perfect.

We just have to work 'Flea' in there somewhere (Maybe get the bass player from Red Hot Chilli Peppers who grew up in Melbourne, surely he'd know a bit about footy?)

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-11-2019, 05:45 PM

Agree on Duryea who deserves to be in our best 22. Playing both Wallis and Libba together doesn't add much pace to the side.
Libba needs to prove that he is match fit given his string of injuries.Lipinski and Smith you would expect to be in our opening side.

GVGjr
29-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Where is Caleb Daniel at now from a selection in the senior side perspective?

Most of the lists being proposed here have him on the bench or the forward line, I don't think anyone has him as a defender for 2020
Is he at a crossroads or is it a case that he will now just need to adapt to a new role?

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-11-2019, 09:42 PM

Most of the lists being proposed here have him on the bench or the forward line, I don't think anyone has him as a defender for 2020
Is he at a crossroads or is it a case that he will now just need to adapt to a new role?

Whilst Caleb has performed well we need to get better following 3 disappointing years. I would see him competing against the likes of Libba Wallis Maclean West Smith Hayes Richards and Weightman to hold his place in the side. Daniel may well complement the likes of Bont Dunkley and Macrae in the midfield which could be a bonus.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2019, 10:42 PM

For me, I like him further up the ground. There's also an element of our worst came with him as a defender and the over use of him as a designated kicker. When he got injured, it came at same time as a better looking defence and winning more often than not. He could stay on the HBF, but the over use of him would need to end. But his precise kicking to Bruce, Schache, Naughton, Lloyd & Dale (as marking targets) would hurt opponents more I feel.

Rocket Science
29-11-2019, 11:54 PM
If we can't find a spot for someone with Daniel's talents with ball in hand, we're either absolutely flying or not trying hard enough.

I see him on a wing floating between the arcs, helping orchestrate chains out of defence and using the same creativity to feed our second and third option forwards.

Of course it'll be tempting to hit up Naughts and Bruce as quickly and as often possible but Caleb's one with the patience and smarts to help get the most out of supporting cast members who can cleverly work the seams.

Go_Dogs
30-11-2019, 09:22 AM
B: Crozier, Cordy, Wood
C: Daniel, Smith, Hunter
HF: Macrae, Bruce, Lipinski
F: Dale, Naughton, Schache
R: English, Bont, Dunks
I/C: Liberatore, Richards, McLean, Duryea

About 5 players I wanted to find a spot for but couldn’t....gee its tough

GVGjr
07-12-2019, 11:26 AM
Who plays on the opposition sides best key forwards like Lynch, Kennedy, Riewoldt, Franklin and Curnow etc?

kruder
07-12-2019, 09:36 PM
I'm liking all of our sides but just think we are still missing some good old fashion grunt. We need Libba to get healthy thats for sure, so wish I could swap Lloyd out of the forward line for Liam Picken.

I just cant see Dicko, Lloyd, Dale and Schache all playing in the same forward line.

I wonder if Wallis can play that pressure forward role in the forward line? Does he still think that he is a mid? I just think for Mitch to survive he has to get down and dirty, absolute blue collar sort of stuff.

Westy can lay a serious tackle will be interesting to see how he goes in his second year, there is a role available thats for sure.

bornadog
08-12-2019, 12:43 AM
I could swap Lloyd out of the forward line for Liam Picken.

I just cant see Dicko, Lloyd, Dale and Schache all playing in the same forward line.

You mean our leading goal kicker (38)

kruder
08-12-2019, 10:00 AM
You mean our leading goal kicker (38)

Yeah regular season happily play Lloyd but if we want to go to the next level not sure he is quite the answer comes finals time. Its more about the mix above we can play a few but I think we need to add a little 2016 grunt to the mix. The 2020 side will do better home and away with enhanced scoring power, but finals time it's still a question for mine.

mjp
08-12-2019, 03:13 PM
B: Cordy, Crozier, JJ, Keath, Daniel, Duryea, Wood
Outside Mids: Hunter, Suckling, Richards
Inside Mids: Bontempelli, Dunkley, Macrae, Smith
Rucks: English
Forwards: Naughton, Bruce, Lloyd, Dale, Lipa, Maclean, West

Williams is the one I had the hardest time finding a spot for...in the end, he just hasn't pinned one down. I can't find room for Dickson (assuming West continues his improvement) nor any of the draftees...nor Schache.

Daniel will come back in and play behind the ball and I expect Suckling to continue his transition from HB to o-mid/hi forward whether we think that is a good idea or not.

Some I found easy to select who might surprise? Lipinski was automatic for me, Richards the same.

Go_Dogs
08-12-2019, 05:09 PM
No Libba mjp?

Agree on Lippa and Ted - both well entrenched now.

Seems a lot of us are struggling to fit Libba, Wallis in. Has the game gone past them?

mjp
08-12-2019, 05:50 PM
No Libba mjp?

Agree on Lippa and Ted - both well entrenched now.

Seems a lot of us are struggling to fit Libba, Wallis in. Has the game gone past them?

Well...

I just tried to pick a team that could take the field and I had Liba 5th for inside mids (behind the 4 I selected). Which meant he had to either be forward, back or OUT.

I have Lipa AND Toby ahead of him as a forward who can help in the mids (last 3x spots in the forward line)...I was going to give him the spot that ultimately went to West but then you end up with the same situation as last year when mids are continually being squeezed out and no-one is happy. West can earn his bones as a small forward and will be 'happy'...I'm not sure Liba will.

Wally is easier to explain. I think he is a forward now and he is behind Lloyd and Dale (and Dickson for that matter). So no spot for him.

bornadog
08-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Mclean struggled in 2019, and needs to improve or he will not find a spot.

GVGjr
08-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Backs: Taylor Duryea - Jackson Trengove - Hayden Crozier
HBacks: Jason Johannisen - Alex Keath - Matthew Suckling
Centers: Bailey Smith - Marcus Bontempelli - Lachie Hunter
HForwards: Sam Lloyd - Josh Bruce - Ed Richards
Forwards: Toby McLean - Aaron Naughton - Bailey Dale
Rucks: Tim English - Josh Dunkley - Jackson Macrae
Interchange: Patrick Lipinski, Easton Wood, Tom Liberatore, Caleb Daniel

Emergencies: Josh Schache, Zaine Cordy, Will Hayes, Mitch Wallis, Lewis Young

And still some very good players not on the list above
Tory Dickson, Billy Gowers, Rhylee West, Bailey Williams, Lachie Young

Outside of a bit of physicality and potentially lacking a bit of grunt it's hard to find a creative reason we can use as a genuine excuse
Injuries to a a couple of KP players or a ruck man could be a challenge but the club feels they have it covered

comrade
08-12-2019, 08:21 PM
HBacks: Jason Johannisen - Alex Keath - Matthew Suckling
Centers: Bailey Smith - Marcus Bontempelli - Lachie Hunter
HForwards: Sam Lloyd - Josh Bruce - Ed Richards
Forwards: Toby McLean - Aaron Naughton - Bailey Dale
Rucks: Tim English - Josh Dunkley - Jackson Macrae
Interchange: Patrick Lipinski, Easton Wood, Tom Liberatore, Caleb Daniel

Emergencies: Josh Schache, Zaine Cordy, Will Hayes, Mitch Wallis, Lewis Young

And still some very good players not on the list above
Tory Dickson, Billy Gowers, Rhylee West, Bailey Williams, Lachie Young

Outside of a bit of physicality and potentially lacking a bit of grunt it's hard to find a creative reason we can use as a genuine excuse
Injuries to a a couple of KP players or a ruck man could be a challenge but the club feels they have it covered

If any top 8 team loses their preferred ruck, they’ll struggle. Most clubs don’t have much depth beyond their #1.

GVGjr
08-12-2019, 08:36 PM
If any top 8 team loses their preferred ruck, they’ll struggle. Most clubs don’t have much depth beyond their #1.

So no real excuse if any of them lose a ruckman?

West Coast were able to cover Nic Nat without needing to throw Kennedy into the ruck

mjp
08-12-2019, 08:48 PM

I thought about this - but in every situation where the MC has had to choose between Cordy and Trengove they have selected Cordy.

What do you think has changed?

I wanted to select Young ahead of both of them but if I did that then I couldn't see how Wood could play (assuming that Keath also plays) and I just could imagine those circumstances in R#1!

Rocco Jones
08-12-2019, 09:25 PM
I thought about this - but in every situation where the MC has had to choose between Cordy and Trengove they have selected Cordy.

I wanted to select Young ahead of both of them but if I did that then I couldn't see how Wood could play (assuming that Keath also plays) and I just could imagine those circumstances in R#1!

Yeah I want Lewis Young to get in ahead of Zaine or JT but I am not sure it would fit the balance of the backline. Ironically, the stronger the team gets, the 'easier' it will be to pick Young I think. Also, if Keath demonstrates the ability to also lock down a dangerous tall (or if Lewis really develops there).

I do not want us throwing Keath straight to the best tall/expecting him to do it both defensively and as a intercept mark. I hope he can get a bit of early momentum as really strikes me as a confidence player.

GVGjr
08-12-2019, 09:28 PM

I'm not selecting the side on how I think the MC might have then just how I would like them to start the season with
It's either Cordy or Trengove as that one-on-one defender and given Cordy's 2019 form perhaps Trengove is ahead of him but I do like Cordy. One or even both of them has to play to balance the side. Young is close to the mark as well but he's another intercepting defender and might have both Keath and Wood ahead of him

Could we play Keath, Young and Wood as the 3 taller (intercept type) defenders and get away with it against teams with a strong forward set-up? I'm not so sure but there is a fair chance that's how the MC will start the season

The Bulldogs Bite
08-12-2019, 11:40 PM
Should Cordy even be in consideration?

He's an undersized defender who is terrible in one in ones, doesn't get involved offensively because he's ordinary by foot and he's an average athlete.

Gets by on determination and courage but not sure that keeps him in our best 22.

Axe Man
09-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Who's in, who's unlucky? Your club's best 22 for round one (https://www.afl.com.au/news/267006/who-s-in-who-s-unlucky-your-club-s-best-22-for-round-one)

WESTERN BULLDOGS
This Dogs team was extremely tough to pick, and some established names missed the cut. Matt Suckling, Mitch Wallis, Jackson Trengove and Zaine Cordy could all fit into the 22, along with Bailey Williams, Lin Jong and Billy Gowers. Gun recruit Alex Keath slots into the key back role with Easton Wood, allowing Jason Johannisen and Hayden Crozier to play tall and attack from the deck. Aaron Naughton can swing into defence if needed, which allows for a more mobile forward line. The bench is full of speed and versatility, something the 2020 Bulldogs will be reliant on. – Adam Curley

B: Taylor Duryea, Easton Wood, Jason Johannisen
HB: Hayden Crozier, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
C: Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter
HF: Sam Lloyd, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Dale
F: Josh Schache, Josh Bruce, Tory Dickson
Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Smith
I/C: Tom Liberatore, Ed Richards, Patrick Lipinski, Toby McLean

DEPTH
Defenders: Louis Butler, Zaine Cordy, Ryan Gardner, Buku Khamis, Bradley Lynch, Roarke Smith, Bailey Williams, Lachie Young, Lewis Young, Laitham Vandermeer
Midfielders: Riley Garcia, Will Hayes, Lin Jong, Callum Porter, Matt Suckling, Mitch Wallis, Rhylee West
Forwards: Ben Cavarra, Billy Gowers, Fergus Greene, Cody Weightman
Rucks: Jordon Sweet, Jackson Trengove

Mofra
09-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Should Cordy even be in consideration?

He's an undersized defender who is terrible in one in ones, doesn't get involved offensively because he's ordinary by foot and he's an average athlete.

Gets by on determination and courage but not sure that keeps him in our best 22.
He was our best KPD in our final last year. MC seem to see his grunt as a big positive. He was our sole KPD for a few weeks last year.

Mofra
09-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Who's in, who's unlucky? Your club's best 22 for round one (https://www.afl.com.au/news/267006/who-s-in-who-s-unlucky-your-club-s-best-22-for-round-one)

WESTERN BULLDOGS
This Dogs team was extremely tough to pick, and some established names missed the cut. Matt Suckling, Mitch Wallis, Jackson Trengove and Zaine Cordy could all fit into the 22, along with Bailey Williams, Lin Jong and Billy Gowers. Gun recruit Alex Keath slots into the key back role with Easton Wood, allowing Jason Johannisen and Hayden Crozier to play tall and attack from the deck. Aaron Naughton can swing into defence if needed, which allows for a more mobile forward line. The bench is full of speed and versatility, something the 2020 Bulldogs will be reliant on. – Adam Curley

B: Taylor Duryea, Easton Wood, Jason Johannisen
HB: Hayden Crozier, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
C: Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter
HF: Sam Lloyd, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Dale
F: Josh Schache, Josh Bruce, Tory Dickson
Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Smith
I/C: Tom Liberatore, Ed Richards, Patrick Lipinski, Toby McLean

DEPTH
Defenders: Louis Butler, Zaine Cordy, Ryan Gardner, Buku Khamis, Bradley Lynch, Roarke Smith, Bailey Williams, Lachie Young, Lewis Young, Laitham Vandermeer
Midfielders: Riley Garcia, Will Hayes, Lin Jong, Callum Porter, Matt Suckling, Mitch Wallis, Rhylee West
Forwards: Ben Cavarra, Billy Gowers, Fergus Greene, Cody Weightman
Rucks: Jordon Sweet, Jackson Trengove
I saw that, and I just think they've just put players in positions that 'look' ok.

I don't think Macrae can play wing. Does anyone believe a ball hunter can hold position and not get 'sucked' into the contest? He couldn't do it.

Wood as KPD? Not for me. Cordy at least comes in. Then who do we drop? The obvious candidates are Libba if he's just going to be an inside mid second rotation (and I love Libba), or Dickson if he's the Sam Lloyd v2 in the F50. I think we have to persist with Richards on the wing for now even though he seems lost there sometimes.

McLean can rotate deep forward, high forward or wing - and as seen last year appears willing to sacrifice his game and his numbers for a role that helps the team.

Suckling probably comes in as Bevo loves him, sadly both Dicko and Libba will have to make way.

The Pie Man
10-12-2019, 12:16 PM
He was our best KPD in our final last year. MC seem to see his grunt as a big positive. He was our sole KPD for a few weeks last year.

Was he though?

Mantis
10-12-2019, 12:23 PM

He defended quite well. His ball use was woeful.

westbulldog
10-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Lewis Young at fullback imo. Wood and JJ to hbf, Crozier to fullback line. Macrae would be wasted on a wing. Daniel out of backline, not sure where. Trengove on bench.

comrade
10-12-2019, 01:37 PM
Wood handing over the captaincy may change our best 22 mix now. I still think only one of Cordy or Wood can play in the side.

Bullies
10-12-2019, 02:05 PM
He was our best KPD in our final last year. MC seem to see his grunt as a big positive. He was our sole KPD for a few weeks last year. Agree with this call on Cordy. He will be a far better player with Keath in the team and no longer play as our number 1 defender. A lot of people under estimate the pressure he puts on opponents with tackling and spoils. Even happy to see him play as a pressure forward if need be. He is in our best 22.

Rocket Science
10-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Wood handing over the captaincy may change our best 22 mix now. I still think only one of Cordy or Wood can play in the side.

This is a noteworthy development. If form eludes him Wood no longer has the 'he's the skipper so he can't be dropped' safety net.

Perhaps Easton inherits the calming elder statesman role vacated by Moz but on a team with numerous medium defender options it'll be a curious one to follow in 2020.

comrade
10-12-2019, 03:13 PM
This is a noteworthy development. If form eludes him Wood no longer has the 'he's the skipper so he can't be dropped' safety net.

Perhaps Easton inherits the calming elder statesman role vacated by Moz but on a team with numerous medium defender options it'll be a curious one to follow in 2020.

I think Bevo absolutely loves him and we know Bevo backs in his boys but if it gets to round 12 and Woody's form is trending downwards, he could be in strife.

bornadog
10-12-2019, 03:40 PM
I think Bevo absolutely loves him and we know Bevo backs in his boys but if it gets to round 12 and Woody's form is trending downwards, he could be in strife.

Wood the only backman to stand up in the last final. Play him in his right position, and he will lead the backline.

GVGjr
10-12-2019, 06:24 PM

Form should be the only deciding factor but yes if he had stayed on as captain he would have to be selected.
He moves to the bench in my best 22

GVGjr
10-12-2019, 06:39 PM

I think you have nailed this, he will be given the first half of the year (at least) to rediscover the required form which has been a huge challenge for him over the last few seasons. His next challenge is that as a half back flanker he doesn't offer the drive that Crozier, Duryea, Daniel and Suckling can and on occasions he struggles when pitted against opposition key forwards.
He is now basically an undersized key defender

The coach needs to find him favourable match-ups each week or he could struggle. He's not the same 3rd man up or intercept defender that he was a few seasons ago.

AshMac
10-12-2019, 07:02 PM
Wood the only backman to stand up in the last final. Play him in his right position, and he will lead the backline.

Agree completely - if we play him as an intercept defender he can be elite. I’m hoping we drafted Keath as a lock down defender and not another intercept

Rocket Science
11-12-2019, 12:13 AM
Agree completely - if we play him as an intercept defender he can be elite. I’m hoping we drafted Keath as a lock down defender and not another intercept

The distinction's increasingly blurred these days but while Keath's a competitive 1-on-1 opponent I don't think pure negation is his stock and trade.

Reckon Bevo will want him rebounding at every opportunity.

jeemak
11-12-2019, 03:06 AM
I think you have nailed this, he will be given the first half of the year (at least) to rediscover the required form which has been a huge challenge for him over the last few seasons. His next challenge is that as a half back flanker he doesn't offer the drive that Crozier, Duryea, Daniel and Suckling can and on occasions he struggles when pitted against opposition key forwards.
He is now basically an undersized key defender

The coach needs to find him favourable match-ups each week or he could struggle. He's not the same 3rd man up or intercept defender that he was a few seasons ago.

How would we know? He's not played it due to needing to play other roles and we've had Crozier come into the side to do that anyway.

But keep banging the narrative just as much as I keep banging against it! :)

GVGjr
11-12-2019, 08:29 AM
How would we know? He's not played it due to needing to play other roles and we've had Crozier come into the side to do that anyway.

But keep banging the narrative just as much as I keep banging against it! :)

How would you know that his role has changed on needs or if it's more form related?
I'm not sure I buy the view that Crozier is now playing that role either. He's a very attacking player and generally uses the ball well

If bringing in Keath frees up Wood to return to his previous form then that will be a real positive for us.

Mofra
11-12-2019, 10:02 AM
How would you know that his role has changed on needs or if it's more form related?

An interview last year stated it was needs - let's not forget we went in with Wood and Cordy as our two 'tall' defenders for the first month last year. We made a lot of positional changes last year, including abandoning our pre-season plans by the end of JLT2.

GVGjr
11-12-2019, 10:17 AM
An interview last year stated it was needs - let's not forget we went in with Wood and Cordy as our two 'tall' defenders for the first month last year. We made a lot of positional changes last year, including abandoning our pre-season plans by the end of JLT2.

He mentioned that later in the year, I'm not sure he could have said much different but even if it explains his 2019 form it doesn't explain the previous years where his form hasn't been great

I still maintain he was tried forward for a reason and that was in an effort to get a better balance of height and skills in the back half

Regarding the first month on 2019 we should have been playing Trengove to have a better balance

Axe Man
11-12-2019, 10:37 AM

The distinction's increasingly blurred these days but while Keath's a competitive 1-on-1 opponent I don't think pure negation is his stock and trade.

Reckon Bevo will want him rebounding at every opportunity.

Agree with that Rocket. The days of the dour full back that does nothing but punch all day are as long gone as the Australian automotive industry. All good key backmen need to be able to defend one on one as well as intercept and counter attack when the opportunity presents.

mjp
11-12-2019, 11:16 AM
...that does nothing but punch all day ...

If you are ELITE at something, there is a role for you. Players who can just defend 'better' than anyone else and can be counted to lock away opposition forwards each week are worth their weight. The challenge is:

- Accepting this as a role (CLUB/Coach) and allowing them to do it for 'long enough' that the side becomes balanced around them. Morris was this player - had 3-kicks in the 2016 GF and may have been BOG.

- Accepting this as a role (player) and just being able to accept the role/play the role without trying to exceed their skillset...this is often harder than #1 because at junior level they were a ball in hand player (the ability to actually kick the ball to a team-mate is only occasionally appreciated by coaches and parents at junior footy).

I do think this is a bit of a chicken and egg story though and the fact that so few elite defenders have come through in recent years has us all convinced that there isn't a role for such a player. There absolutely is...but finding someone who is good enough at it to justify the role is another thing altogether.

Mofra
11-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Agree with that Rocket. The days of the dour full back that does nothing but punch all day are as long gone as the Australian automotive industry. All good key backmen need to be able to defend one on one as well as intercept and counter attack when the opportunity presents.
Clubs scrambled for Dougal Howard who is an exceptional spoiler of the ball. There will always be a place for defenders who can defend given zone defences mean opposition clubs will plan to play through the weakest defender at every opportunity. Negating the best opposition forward isn't a job that gets overlooked by coaches - Morris was 2nd in the B&F in 2016.

Axe Man
11-12-2019, 02:46 PM
I'm not suggesting there is no place for good defensive players. However I think it would be very difficult for such a player to be a top line defender without a few other strings to his bow.

Of course there are various degrees to the "attackingness" (for want of a better word) of a defender, from those that aggressively attempt to mark and intercept almost everything they possibly can, down to those that would prefer to double fist a ball over the boundary before taking an unopposed chest mark (may be a slight exaggeration). There will be places for those from different spots on the spectrum, but I don't believe teams are too keen on those at the far defensive end.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Thought Wood's second half of the year was solid.

He's ahead of Cordy.

mjp
11-12-2019, 04:54 PM

He's ahead of Cordy.

Isn't that a question of balance? Because he isn't really competing against Cordy who isn't an interceptor...To me, Wood is in a group with Le Young, Keath and Crozier (interceptors) whereas Cordy is more like Trengove (1 v 1, key player).

By the way, arguing that Cordy isn't a key defender is a waste of time. That's the role he plays so he IS. And I still think it is a cool story that Keath is a 1-v-1 defender as I have never, ever seen him do that. Maybe he can and Adelaide just didn't get him too? I don't know...I guess we are all going to find out.

Mofra
11-12-2019, 05:20 PM

He's ahead of Cordy.
Zaine Cordy was 5th in the competition for 1%ers, he had his moments but he played his role.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-12-2019, 01:25 AM
Isn't that a question of balance? Because he isn't really competing against Cordy who isn't an interceptor...To me, Wood is in a group with Le Young, Keath and Crozier (interceptors) whereas Cordy is more like Trengove (1 v 1, key player).

By the way, arguing that Cordy isn't a key defender is a waste of time. That's the role he plays so he IS. And I still think it is a cool story that Keath is a 1-v-1 defender as I have never, ever seen him do that. Maybe he can and Adelaide just didn't get him too? I don't know...I guess we are all going to find out.

Wood isn't an intercept defender anymore either. Much of his year was spent playing 1-v-1 and he played as a KPD regularly. In that role I still have him ahead of Cordy.

strebla
12-12-2019, 11:14 AM
I have tried and tried to pick a team but 26 just doesn't fit !!!! Our mc are going to struggle to play everyone who deserves a game next year. It's a great position to be in but there will be some very unlucky players next year.

Mofra
12-12-2019, 11:39 AM
I have tried and tried to pick a team but 26 just doesn't fit !!!! Our mc are going to struggle to play everyone who deserves a game next year. It's a great position to be in but there will be some very unlucky players next year.
There's always a round 1 surprise too.

We haven't even considered the possibility of Schache dropping his output and missing round 1, injuries, Le. Young sneaks a spot in the back half, etc.
Not many of us have Wally in the side either although he was one of our best players as a permanent forward in the back half of 2018.

mjp
12-12-2019, 04:08 PM
There's always a round 1 surprise too.

We haven't even considered the possibility of Schache dropping his output and missing round 1, injuries, Le. Young sneaks a spot in the back half, etc.
Not many of us have Wally in the side either although he was one of our best players as a permanent forward in the back half of 2018.

To be fair, I didn't pick Schache. With Bruce and Naughton playing tall and Dale playing that leading, medium tall flanker type role, I couldn't find him a spot.

Mofra
13-12-2019, 10:03 AM
To be fair, I didn't pick Schache. With Bruce and Naughton playing tall and Dale playing that leading, medium tall flanker type role, I couldn't find him a spot.
The interviews all seem quite positive on Schache playing high. His POD is his tank (he regularly topped out side for KMs covered, although those numbers ignore running speed/intensity). If Dale or another genuine mid-sized forward stakes a claim he'd be one of the first out of our forward line.

FWIW Zaine topped our KMs covered with the last game he played as a full-time forward. Surprisingly good tank.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2020, 12:06 AM
C: Hunter - Dunkley - Richards (if over concussion)
HF: McLean - Schache - Lloyd
F: Weightman - Bruce - Dale
R: English - Bontempelli - Macrae (if Tim is over concussion)
Int: B. Smith, Wallis, Daniel, Lipinski
Emerg: Cordy (MC will pick him over Young though), Williams, Trengove, R. Smith, Dickson

Inj: Naughton, Garcia, Jong, Libba, Duryea, (guessing Wood is fit)

Then: West, La Young, Hayes, Vandermeer, Gowers, Cavarra, Khamis, Greene, Lynch, Porter, Sweet, Butler.

Adding from Tonight: Bruce, English, Wood, Suckling & Weightman
Omits from Tonight: Hayes, R. Smith, Dickson, Cordy/Young, Williams, Sweet

bornadog
22-02-2020, 12:50 AM
Good team BT.

bulldogtragic
07-03-2020, 07:46 PM
C: Hunter - Dunkley - B. Smith
Int: Wallis, Daniel, Lipinski, Williams (If Naughton is fit, he's in for McLean or Wallis)
Emerg: Cordy, Trengove, R. Smith, West

Inj: Naughton, Garcia, Jong, Libba, Duryea, Richards, Vandermeer, Dickson

Then: La Young, Hayes, Gowers, Cavarra, Khamis, Greene, Lynch, Porter, Sweet, Butler.

bornadog
07-03-2020, 07:56 PM
C: Hunter - Dunkley - B. Smith
Int: Wallis, Daniel, Lipinski, Williams (If Naughton is fit, he's in for McLean or Wallis)
Emerg: Cordy, Trengove, R. Smith, Dickson

Inj: Naughton, Garcia, Jong, Libba, Duryea, Richards

Then: West, La Young, Hayes, Vandermeer, Gowers, Cavarra, Khamis, Greene, Lynch, Porter, Sweet, Butler.

I would have Richards in before Mclean.

Not sure on Weightman, need to see how he is going at Footscray.

GVGjr
07-03-2020, 08:00 PM
Looks about right BT but should Trengove be selected to play against Cox?

bulldogtragic
07-03-2020, 08:00 PM
I would have Richards in before Mclean.

Not sure on Weightman, need to see how he is going at Footscray.

Agree on Richards being included, I will change that if/when Richards is cleared to play after that bad concussion.

Weightman could well be our Bailey Smith in 2020. Some exciting X-factor for the team, forward line and fans.

bornadog
07-03-2020, 08:02 PM
Agree on Richards being included, I will change that if/when Richards is cleared to play after that bad concussion.

Weightman could well be our Bailey Smith in 2020. Some exciting X-factor for the team, forward line and fans.

I think Richards played VFL today

comrade
07-03-2020, 08:02 PM
Lew Young hasn’t played a minute of defence all pre-season. Almost no chance of him playing back, IMO.

Looks like Bevo is committed to Cordy.

bulldogtragic
07-03-2020, 08:04 PM
Looks about right BT but should Trengove be selected to play against Cox?

I'm weighing up Lew Young or JT. With Keath only one can play. I'm also firming that only one of Cordy or Wood can play with the KPDs too. Today I'm going with Keath, Young & Wood. I think Young's athletic abilities and bigger leap might be better suited for the job. More than anything I hope the coaches see it something like I do, I don't think today's group of Keath, Cordy & Wood will do the job most weeks if we allow easy entries.

Mofra
07-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Given Le Young didn't play a minute in defence I highly doubt he gets the gig there.

Last year we played 7 defenders and rolled one through the interchange.

Cordy and Keath are locked in as the two talls, Crozier an absolute lock, and I'd say JJ is immovable.
Wood and Williams are going to play based on the pre-season, which leaves Daniel as that bench player - Suckling becomes a full time utility?

English, Bont, Macrae and Dunkley pick themseves as first centre rotation. Hunter on one wing. God knows on the other - Suckling gave the occsional chop out but he's on my bench. Roarke Smith as the round 1 surprise. Lipinski as the bench-midfielder who can go forward if needed.

The forwardline is a dog's breakfast. Bruce is a lock, Lloyd is a lock, and nobody else. Wallis is probably third (playing deep) and the MC love Dale. With Naughton injured, it's out of Schache or Young to take that last spot and both look hesitant in aspects of the game (Schache in the air, Young with the ball in hand). I'll go with a surprise and name Young as he is a reasoonable ruck chop-out.

Bailey Smith starts high and rotates in the midfield, which leaves just one bench spot for a forward. Dickson and Naughton I assume miss which leaves McLean in by the skin of his teeth (Ed Richards playing VFL + concussion means he misses out).

That's the 22 by deduction at this stage, and I'm not sure I like it.

B: Williams, Cordy, Wood
HB: Crozier, Keath, JJ
C: Hunter, Dunkley, R. Smith
HF: B. Smith, Le Young, S. Lloyd
FF: Wallis, Bruce, Dale

Foll: English, Bontempelli, Macrae

Bench: Daniel, Suckling, Lipinski, McLean

GVGjr
08-03-2020, 10:39 AM
Lew Young hasn’t played a minute of defence all pre-season. Almost no chance of him playing back, IMO.

Looks like Bevo is committed to Cordy.

Are you sure about that? I thought he has been training as a defender and was only thrown forward when Bruce didn't play against North and with Naughton's set back.
With Keaths arrival having two 197cm defenders who's best skills are as intercept players I think opened the door his his move forward after the injuries to Bruce and Naughton.
The fact that he played as a forward before he was drafted and is an accurate kick means he is a very good option for us. Handy in the ruck as well

ledge
08-03-2020, 11:02 AM
I’m not taking too much into yesterday’s game as in the last qtr I think it became bruise free footy just up One wing and down the other.
Our first three qtrs were still a little soft in my eyes.
Let the season begin and the real toughness starts.

GVGjr
08-03-2020, 12:04 PM
Given Le Young didn't play a minute in defence I highly doubt he gets the gig there.

Last year we played 7 defenders and rolled one through the interchange.

Cordy and Keath are locked in as the two talls, Crozier an absolute lock, and I'd say JJ is immovable.
Wood and Williams are going to play based on the pre-season, which leaves Daniel as that bench player - Suckling becomes a full time utility?

English, Bont, Macrae and Dunkley pick themseves as first centre rotation. Hunter on one wing. God knows on the other - Suckling gave the occsional chop out but he's on my bench. Roarke Smith as the round 1 surprise. Lipinski as the bench-midfielder who can go forward if needed.

The forwardline is a dog's breakfast. Bruce is a lock, Lloyd is a lock, and nobody else. Wallis is probably third (playing deep) and the MC love Dale. With Naughton injured, it's out of Schache or Young to take that last spot and both look hesitant in aspects of the game (Schache in the air, Young with the ball in hand). I'll go with a surprise and name Young as he is a reasoonable ruck chop-out.

Bailey Smith starts high and rotates in the midfield, which leaves just one bench spot for a forward. Dickson and Naughton I assume miss which leaves McLean in by the skin of his teeth (Ed Richards playing VFL + concussion means he misses out).

That's the 22 by deduction at this stage, and I'm not sure I like it.

HF: B. Smith, Le Young, S. Lloyd

The players most in doubt to me off this list are:
Cordy, R.Smith and McLean but finding players that are likely replacements isn't as easy
I think Schache is the most likely to play, we might throw Weightman a chance and Richards just needs to show he is right and he will be given consideration. Trengove is a proven performer but might be coming from a long way back

It's a shame we didn't trial Lachie Young as he is probably a better 3rd tall defensive option than most

Mofra
08-03-2020, 12:05 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought he has been training as a defender and was only thrown forward when Bruce didn't play against North and with Naughton's set back.
With Keaths arrival having two 197cm defenders who's best skills are as intercept players I think opened the door his his move forward after the injuries to Bruce and Naughton.
The fact that he played as a forward before he was drafted and is an accurate kick means he is a very good option for us. Handy in the ruck as well
I'm sure he didn't play any defence during the Marsh Cup games. Marsh 2 is a dress rehearsal for round 1, and Young was forward/ruck the whole time

GVGjr
08-03-2020, 12:41 PM
I'm sure he didn't play any defence during the Marsh Cup games. Marsh 2 is a dress rehearsal for round 1, and Young was forward/ruck the whole time

I'm not disputing that, he got his chance in M1 when Bruce wasn't available and then was used forward yesterday for a half but I don't believe his preseason focus was as a forward.
Last year before the game in Ballarat Bevo decided to move Naughton forward (to great effect) and I suspect Young has just made that move a game earlier this year but I do think he trained as a defender through the summer.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2020, 12:46 PM

Wondering if it's us conceeding Naughton won't be right for R1.

Tough ask for Lew Young but he has the talent to contribute. Interesting year for him though, Keaths arrival may stifle his development as a KD given they like to play similar (ditto Wood, Williams). Too many intercept players.

For mine, R Smith shouldn't be in discussion. A couple of nice moments yesterday sure, but enough to play R1? Absolutely not. Hayes has improved but didn't appear to get a lot of game time.

Suckling should be our other winger.

Wondering where McLean fits in - probably finds a spot on the bench at the least but his form his concerning.

Bulldog4life
08-03-2020, 01:36 PM
HF: B. Smith, Naughty, S. Lloyd

I think if Naughton is fit this will be close to the team Bevo picks. Possible ins to replace McLean could be West, Weightman or Cavarra. According to that VFL report Billy Gowers was close to best. The VFL plays again so will be interesting. Would like Lewis Young in but Bevo seems a big fan of Cordy. Trengove completely out of favour. No other challengers for Roarke Smith's position on wing either. Bevo even mentioned him in presser too. He did his chances no harm yesterday. Schache had a stinker.

Twodogs
08-03-2020, 02:27 PM

I think you are right. Lew Young was thrown forward at the last minute when Naughton had a scare in the warm up and we didn't have anyone else over 6 foot.

bornadog
08-03-2020, 03:49 PM
It's a shame we didn't trial Lachie Young as he is probably a better 3rd tall defensive option than most

At 189 cm, I don't think he is a tall 3rd defensive option

GVGjr
08-03-2020, 04:44 PM
At 189 cm, I don't think he is a tall 3rd defensive option

Who's a better option on our list though? Lachlan Yong was pitted against taller and smaller opponents in the intra club game and aquitted himself well. There is a chance you place too much of an emphasis on the players height more than their ability

bornadog
08-03-2020, 04:55 PM
Who's a better option on our list though? Lachlan Yong was pitted against taller and smaller opponents in the intra club game and aquitted himself well. There is a chance you place too much of an emphasis on the players height more than their ability

Over the years I have seen at the Bulldogs undersized players up against talls, and they struggle. A good example is Dale Morris in the 2008 qualifying final where Buddy kicked 8. Has happened too often over the years.

Lachie is going to be a good player, but lets match him up with the right players.

GVGjr
08-03-2020, 05:33 PM
Over the years I have seen at the Bulldogs undersized players up against talls, and they struggle. A good example is Dale Morris in the 2008 qualifying final where Buddy kicked 8. Has happened too often over the years.

Lachie is going to be a good player, but lets match him up with the right players.

So this brings up a couple of questions
Who do you suggest plays as the 3rd tall defender?
Did you voice concerns with our interest in the 192cm Hurley as KPP?

bornadog
08-03-2020, 05:55 PM
So this brings up a couple of questions
Who do you suggest plays as the 3rd tall defender?
Did you voice concerns with our interest in the 192cm Hurley as KPP?

Cordy should be our third tall. Yes Hurley would have been good, but he can't play gorilla forwards.

Danjul
09-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Cordy should be our third tall. Yes Hurley would have been good, but he can't play gorilla forwards.

The gorillas are usually not mobile. They stand their ground close to the goal square , reach up and grab the ball above their opponent’s hands . And finish with 4 goals.

Our best option has been Trengove. And he has also been our best 2nd ruck. If he is out of favour - train Sweet.

hujsh
10-03-2020, 03:58 PM

Buddy's not exactly what I'd consider a '3rd tall forward'.

You're right our key defenders shouldn't be undersized but 189 and athletic is oftend going to be fine against third tall options. Some execptions will exist but they'll be just that, exceptions, if the defender is good at their job.

bornadog
10-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Buddy's not exactly what I'd consider a '3rd tall forward'.

You're right our key defenders shouldn't be undersized but 189 and athletic is oftend going to be fine against third tall options. Some execptions will exist but they'll be just that, exceptions, if the defender is good at their job.

It was an example, of course Buddy isn't a 3rd tall option.

Last years game v Collingwood at the G, we played some great footy and were up at 3/4 time. Collingwood over ran us a bit and we lost by 14 points. A couple of telling things for me was trying to play Cordy on Cox who conceded almost 20cm and probably alot more when Cox's hands reach up high. Cox ended up putting through the sealer with a few minutes to go.

These are the consequences of putting short arses on big players.

bornadog
10-03-2020, 04:10 PM
double

hujsh
10-03-2020, 04:43 PM
It was an example, of course Buddy isn't a 3rd tall option.

Last years game v Collingwood at the G, we played some great footy and were up at 3/4 time. Collingwood over ran us a bit and we lost by 14 points. A couple of telling things for me was trying to play Cordy on Cox who conceded almost 20cm and probably alot more when Cox's hands reach up high. Cox ended up putting through the sealer with a few minutes to go.

These are the consequences of putting short arses on big players.

Okay but both your examples against playing a 190cm (approx) third tall are based on first talls palying on undersized defenders. So I don't personally see the relevance of the examples to the question of whether La Young can play that 3rd tall role. Not to say you're wrong necessarily but it's essentially the same as arguing he'd be beated by Tom Lynch. The problem is he wouldn't play on Tom Lynch or Jack Reiwoldt. He'd play on whoever the next in line is. Their resting ruck?

Or using the Collingwood example he'd be playing on DeGoey or someone. Not Cox.

bornadog
10-03-2020, 05:13 PM
Okay but both your examples against playing a 190cm (approx) third tall are based on first talls playing on undersized defenders. So I don't personally see the relevance of the examples to the question of whether La Young can play that 3rd tall role. Not to say you're wrong necessarily but it's essentially the same as arguing he'd be beated by Tom Lynch. The problem is he wouldn't play on Tom Lynch or Jack Reiwoldt. He'd play on whoever the next in line is. Their resting ruck?

Or using the Collingwood example he'd be playing on DeGoey or someone. Not Cox.

ok, if we are talking La Young, I still feel he should not be called a tall, whether 3rd tall or KP. At the Bulldogs we tend to play these guys, ie undersized on tall players. Probably because we have never had enough talls in the team.

Agree, DeGoey is the ideal size, same for Wood, however, DeGoey is not a tall forward either.

Bulldog4life
10-03-2020, 08:46 PM
Cordy seemed to be on Robbie Gray a fair bit. Not sure if it was due to the injuries Port got.

Mantis
10-03-2020, 09:16 PM
Cordy seemed to be on Robbie Gray a fair bit. Not sure if it was due to the injuries Port got.

That was only late in the game after Dixon & Lycett went off.. He struggled on talls & smalls alike.

bornadog
10-03-2020, 11:20 PM
That was only late in the game after Dixon & Lycett went off.. He struggled on talls & smalls alike.

I think Cordy is a worry down back, and I am not sure what his role should be.

Mofra
11-03-2020, 09:59 AM
We tend not to roll with definitive one on one match ups anyway and hold our zone as much as possible.

Happy Days
11-03-2020, 11:02 AM
We tend not to roll with definitive one on one match ups anyway and hold our zone as much as possible.

This is why I’m pretty bullish on Keath. It might make for a few terrible looking moments across the year, but does it honestly matter that he’s not elite one on one?

There’s not going to be many games like the one on the weekend with little heat on a ball carrier kicking with a 6 goal breeze in the season proper.

1eyedog
11-03-2020, 11:37 AM
This is why I’m pretty bullish on Keath. It might make for a few terrible looking moments across the year, but does it honestly matter that he’s not elite one on one?

There’s not going to be many games like the one on the weekend with little heat on a ball carrier kicking with a 6 goal breeze in the season proper.

Agreed. He's an excellent reader of play and elite at reading the ball through the air and getting to contests. He's big enough to make high ball impact and would be a far better player with Trengove in the team if we need a one on one player. He also just needs a little time to completely master our processes.

bulldogtragic
11-03-2020, 11:40 AM

A good point. I just had a look back at 2016 and Marcus Adams (similar type to Keath) looked like a dead set gun intercept defender and we won 8/11 games he played in when we backed him into our zone. When Adams played one-on-one against Buddy in mid 2016 he looked very, very second rate. That's not his strength. Adams also had (admittedly a very scratchy and form variable) key defender in 2016 pairing with Hamling or Roberts - With Morris able to exceed with the one-on-ones. Then we hardly lost a game after Adams suffered his (annual) season ending injury with Morris, Hamling, Cordy & Roberts. So the theory has worked in practice before, but we need someone to do a solid one-on-one job like Morris and a lock down KPD defensive role like Hamling, Cordy &/or Roberts.

In the key finals we played four tall defenders: Morris, Hamling, Roberts & Cordy (rotated forward) with Adams still injured. We beat aggressive high scoring teams under immense pressure with four tall defenders. It's interesting (to me at lest) the evolution of our system, to the game on the weekend, is to play one intercepting defender (who is elite) as a lock down defender and Cordy who much to my dissatisfaction isn't progressing as I had always hoped for him. I'd love to hear thoughts from y'all about why we are going short on defenders and ruck. Is Bevo trying to revolutionise the game into almost all (17 or 18) small and medium players? Also, it took Bevo 6 weeks or so to snap out of 'play Dunkley & Libba as forwards' last year, which was a key to changing our win/loss ratio later in the season. If Bevo tries something new and it doesn't work, when should he change things up? How long does he get to persist?

Axe Man
11-03-2020, 12:02 PM
The pre-season: What we learned ... and what's still a mystery (https://www.afl.com.au/news/384194/the-pre-season-what-we-learned-and-what-s-still-a-mystery)

Three key takeaways from your club following the Marsh Community Series

WESTERN BULLDOGS

TWO THINGS WE LEARNED
1. Tim English is primed for a breakout year
The Bulldogs couldn't be more pleased with what they've seen from emerging ruckman Tim English over the pre-season. The West Australian is attacking contests with complete confidence in his body and now looks like a genuine contested marking threat. English has put plenty of work into his goalkicking and that paid off with two majors against Port Adelaide on Saturday.

2. Bailey Williams must play in round one
It's not easy to crack into the half-back rotations for the Bulldogs, but Bailey Williams has forced coach Luke Beveridge's hand a little bit with 40 disposals over the two Marsh Community Series games. With a hole on the wing, Beveridge may have to move Matt Suckling up the ground in order to get Williams into the side across half-back.

STILL A MYSTERY
Is Toby McLean in the best 22?
After being a walk-up starter as an inside midfielder in 2017 and 2018, McLean has had to adapt to a different role as a half-forward over the past year or so. Despite having all the tools to succeed in that area, McLean's form hasn't been eye-popping across the pre-season. At this stage it looks like Mitch Wallis, Sam Lloyd, Bailey Smith and Bailey Dale are well ahead in the selection rankings, so the 24-year-old might have to earn his spot through the VFL to start the season. - Jourdan Canil

Axe Man
12-03-2020, 11:17 AM
If Naughton is right (and by recent reports he is sounding more likely) then my best guess is from the Marsh 2 side he comes in and Young, Hayes and McLean miss out.

Bulldog4life
12-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Young certainly fits Bevo's mantra. Can play key back and key forward. His rucking also is better than Schache and Bruce. Handy player to have in the 22 in case injuries happen too.