PDA

View Full Version : Who would you target for trade now?

bulldogtragic
28-09-2019, 03:46 PM
Jon Ralph (most accurate as it relates to us this year) said he thought we were targeting and would ultimately be successful with enough money for all three of Martin, Keath & Bruce. Just missed Martin, but with the offer we made, I can see why he thought we close that trade too.

Riley Beveridge, afl media, who has been assigned to covering our club the last couple of years said is a recent podcast that the dogs had $1.8M in available spend.

Reports of Keath & Bruce were close to $600,000. Assuming that means $1.1M combined. That leaves $700,000 free. The reported offer that Jack Martin knocked back was 5 X $700,000.

So it's safe to say we have $700,000 a season to offer. If Martin had said yes, we would spent it. Presuming Sam Power is very good at his job, which he clearly is, he's structured the player payments to sign all the players we want to going forward and sign Keath, Bruce and a (up to) $700,000 a season trade target.

So who do you have in mind for another quality trade target, with a maximum price tag of $700,000 (with likely a second rounder and a third rounder and perhaps a fringe player as trade currency)?

chef
28-09-2019, 03:58 PM
J. Elliott.

G-Mo77
28-09-2019, 04:02 PM
I did hear from someone that we have around 2m - 2.5m to spend. If that is true we can probably afford to splurge a little more but need to be careful not to reach on players and have an albatross contract.

bornadog
28-09-2019, 04:02 PM
Would you give up a good player to get a player we need?

bulldogtragic
28-09-2019, 04:09 PM
I did hear from someone that we have around 2m - 2.5m to spend. If that is true we can probably afford to splurge a little more but need to be careful not to reach on players and have an albatross contract.

Andrew Jarman thinks Geelong will take Jenkins, so it’s ok. :D

bulldogtragic
28-09-2019, 04:10 PM
Would you give up a good player to get a player we need?

Depends on the surnames.

G-Mo77
28-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Andrew Jarman thinks Geelong will take Jenkins, so it’s ok. :D

I think that potential poor investment disappeared after Bruce nominated us.

bornadog
28-09-2019, 04:44 PM
I think that potential poor investment disappeared after Bruce nominated us.

Never wanted Jenkins, I am so glad we are trading for Keath and Bruce. Injection of two big players will do wonders for us.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2019, 04:56 PM
J. Elliott.

Stacks up:

Reading articles from Google and from Twitter:

- Buckley thinks he re-signs because it's a family club. But they're low balling him for free agency compo surely...
- but, the reported Collingwood offer is under AFEL average wage of 2 X $350,000 (about $380,000 is the average) - $700,000 contract
- Melbourne got in first apparently of the other clubs. Apparently 3 X $400,000. - $1.2M contract
- Tom Browne threw out a few clubs including Hawthotn and us
- Apparently Hawthorn is legit chasing him as a Puopolo replacement now. Not seen anything solid from us

If we keep his body right (a thorough medical of course) , a four year contract isn't a huge risk to outbid them all. $475,000 to $500,000 a big risk either. - $1.9M-$2M contract

Key Info:

Free Agent.
On the above money, there's cash left over.
Lloyd & Elliott play either side of Naughton. A handy line.
27yo, same as Keath & Bruce. Maturity and experience across the lines.
105 games, 164 goals (1.6 goals a game at 66% accuracy) (Our Dickson replacement)
178cm, 81kg

2019:

Stat Averages: 16 Games: 12 Disposls, 5.6 Marks, 1.6 Goals, .9 GA, 1.1 Behinds, 2.3 Tackles (High I50's), 2.1 Inside 50's

Ranked 19th in Total Tackles Inside 50, Ranked 16th in Goal Assists Per Game, Ranked 15th in Marks Inside 50 Per Game, 7th in Tackles Inside 50

GVGjr
28-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Never wanted Jenkins, I am so glad we are trading for Keath and Bruce. Injection of two big players will do wonders for us.

But apparently 12 months back with doubts on Tom Boyd we had the key positions covered :)

bornadog
28-09-2019, 06:16 PM
But apparently 12 months back with doubts on Tom Boyd we had the key positions covered :)

We did

The Doctor
28-09-2019, 06:19 PM
1. Back up ruckman

2. Winger with speed and kicking skills

If we can't find a winger this year we should bank our spare change and target someone like Whitfield in 2020?

Or Ben King.

ledge
28-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Save it to keep Bont and co

bulldogtragic
28-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Save it to keep Bont and co

As per the OP, Sam Power is good at his job. He felt it appropriate and that he could re-sign everyone he wants (ie Bont & co) AND sign Bruce, Keath & Martin. That $700,000 a year is still there owing to Martin knocking us back. If Martin, changed his mind and wanted the $700,000 a season contract, should we tell him no? If another good player wanted into our club for the money we have, should we tell them no?

Dry Rot
28-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Papley

ledge
28-09-2019, 08:26 PM
As per the OP, Sam Power is good at his job. He felt it appropriate and that he could re-sign everyone he wants (ie Bont & co) AND sign Bruce, Keath & Martin. That $700,000 a year is still there owing to Martin knocking us back. If Martin, changed his mind and wanted the $700,000 a season contract, should we tell him no? If another good player wanted into our club for the money we have, should we tell them no?

My point is we got the targets we could get, let’s get Bont signed, would you lose Bont over 100,000 because we
decided on another player thinking Bont would sign ?
Teams will come hard if we don’t get him signed early.
Was either of Bruce and Keath only signed because Martin became unavailable ?
I’m not inside the club at all but I would want Bont signed ASAP on a long term deal and I wouldn’t sacrifice losing him.
Maybe Sam has got a deal with Bont already but not signed . I don’t know.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2019, 08:58 PM
In responding to BAD in another thread I said I hoped clubs use cash to hurt GWS this year and next with Whitfield & Cameron. So I looked at their uncontracted list for 2019 & 2020 for them. Not only do they need serious cash for those two players there's several good players and young players they need to address.

There's a lesser talked about restricted free agent next year, Zac Williams. Here's a very favourable but very similar comparison to Jack Martin:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=24&playerStatus2=A&tid2=25&type=A&pid1=3915&pid2=3906&fid1=S&fid2=S

Now Martin plays midfielder and forward, but in the prelim final Williams showed he has the flexibility to play more midfield/wing too. He's a gun and ordinarily I wouldn't put up for a discussion a rebounding defender with our list profile. But... Suckling is likely to retire next year, Webb & maybe Roarke delisted, Bailey Williams has a question mark, Duryea isn't exactly young. If we put Zach Williams back there alongside JJ, then the flow on is perhaps Ed Ricahrds & Caleb Daniel into the role slated for Jack Martin in that neat and tidy high half forward with more and improved I50 entries.

That's a good player that could put some pressure on GWS list and salary cap, that they know they just can't match so they let go. They will likely let Tomlinson go for whatever compo they're given this year for the same reason, for fear they can't match offers on Tomlinson & Cameron next year. If a club, ours or others, threw at him a Martin like contract (5 X $700,000) surely JMac at GWS might think a good trade this year is worth whatever the compo is next year if they can't retain him (particularly if Tomlinson compo is second round). He's also an indigenous man from the Wiradjuri people. Mr Gordon wants a highly talented indigenous players.

Different angle. Thoughts?

Edit: How to guide for Zac Williams:

(Pick 42 & 47 side for a Freo draft points trade, Pick 84 for a depth ruckman)

Picks 13, 31 & 49 - Pick 18 & Williams

Why? The draft points from our picks (& upgrade) combine to around Pick 14 for Willims. He's a free agent next year, so this is a good offer. That's a good return for a club with a top 5 academy prospect (Green), thus the draft points are relevant. GWS are looking to package their first rounders up and get Pick 3 from Melbourne to get up the draft order before Green is bid on. Picks 11 & 18 isn't juicy enough to my mind. But offering Melbourne Picks 11 & 13 (from us) is worthy of a serious discussion from Melbourne, maybe throwing in Bonar (who went Pick 11) to get the deal done. GWS then use the points from picks 31 & 49 and their picks 53, Patton pick & Tomlinson compo to cover off the points needed for Green. Nailing pick 3 and Greene possibly at pick 4 or 5. Another great draft for them with two top 5 picks despite playing in the GF.

For us? Pick 18 for Keath & Pick 27. Pick 27 for Bruce - Adelaide land another first rounder via upgrade to rebuild. St Kilda get a mid second rounder for Bruce, who might want more. But I'd only top it up with Jong/Gowers/Lynch. (Or if St Kilda got pick 35 for Jack Steven, Pick 18 to St Kilda for Bruce & 35. Pick 35 to Adelaide for Keath with a Jong/Gowers/Lynch if wanted).

Only catch us very late draft picks and rookie upgrade/s.

Sedat
28-09-2019, 09:03 PM
We've all seen the 2016 PF a million times. Have a look at the Zac Williams bullet kick under pressure in D50 to Tom Scully (when JJ should have been pinged for entering the protected zone). This bloke is an elite ball user and knows how to find it. Great suggestion BT.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2019, 09:14 PM
My point is we got the targets we could get, let’s get Bont signed, would you lose Bont over 100,000 because we
decided on another player thinking Bont would sign ?
Teams will come hard if we don’t get him signed early.
Was either of Bruce and Keath only signed because Martin became unavailable ?
I’m not inside the club at all but I would want Bont signed ASAP on a long term deal and I wouldn’t sacrifice losing him.
Maybe Sam has got a deal with Bont already but not signed . I don’t know.

The trade period hasn't even started and we are done? We've gotten all the targets we could get? It's not even begun. We got two good players before the start.

Bonts would be crazy to sign right now. If I was his manager I'd be telling him to just play footy and look at it in 12+ months.

Logically, the argument is Sam Power was irresponsible to offer that contract to Martin. We were after Martin, Bruce & Keath together which fits within our salary cap. So Sam Power would've cost us Bonts because he can't manage a cap? That's not happening. By the end of next year Dicko & Suckling will be retired. This year they'd be on a good guess of at least $600,000. How much of that did you want for Bonts? $100,000.

Ok. Then there's $500,000 spare, Bonts signed up with your desired $100,000 (take $300,00 if you like), plus $700,000 this year or next for another player. Relax my man, Bonts is going nowhere unless he wants to, and I doubt it. There's plenty of cash because we've been banking cap for a while, missed Hurley & Wingard and lost legends Morris, Picken and Tom Boyd. Sam Power is doing a great job and has a bucket load of cash for the next three weeks, all without a hint of risk with Bonts.

GVGjr
28-09-2019, 11:23 PM
1. Back up ruckman

2. Winger with speed and kicking skills

If we can't find a winger this year we should bank our spare change and target someone like Whitfield in 2020?

Or Ben King.

Any idea's on which players Doc?

I'm not sure we have enough spots to land more than Keath and Bruce but assuming we do I think you have covered the type of players we need

Could we be serious players for the services of Ben King next year when we will need a bit of additional coverage for JUH and a couple of others?

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Alir Alir. I've wanted us to sign him since he was a rookie at the Swans. His pace, good hands and quick thinking would be perfect down back for us and allow Naughton to play forward.

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Alir Alir. I've wanted us to sign him since he was a rookie at the Swans. His pace, good hands and quick thinking would be perfect down back for us and allow Naughton to play forward.

He's got a contract until 2021 so it's doubtful we could pry him from them.
I remember your views about him from when he first started playing

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 12:35 PM
He's got a contract until 2021 so it's doubtful we could pry him from them.
I remember your views about him from when he first started playing

Yep, we missed the boat on him at the end of 2016 when we celebrating so hard the rest of the world went past us and we didn't notice. That was the time to move. The Swans were a bit so-so on him, he was recovering from a leg injury but you could just see the kid had a competitive streak a mile wide and the talent and determination to back it up.

ledge
29-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Yep, we missed the boat on him at the end of 2016 when we celebrating so hard the rest of the world went past us and we didn't notice. That was the time to move. The Swans were a bit so-so on him, he was recovering from a leg injury but you could just see the kid had a competitive streak a mile wide and the talent and determination to back it up.

I think it’s exactly what we are trying to do with Baka, plays across half back intercepting and learning the same as Alir

The Doctor
29-09-2019, 02:17 PM
Any idea's on which players Doc?

I'm not sure we have enough spots to land more than Keath and Bruce but assuming we do I think you have covered the type of players we need

Could we be serious players for the services of Ben King next year when we will need a bit of additional coverage for JUH and a couple of others?

I don't mind the Zac Smith option as our experienced back up ruckman. He will be relatively cheap and provide us with insurance/competition for English.

Isaac Smith would have been ideal for the winger role for the short term. If that is not possible I'm happy to head to the draft and get one there. There are a few in this draft that would appeal to us I would think.

Re Ben King: I mentioned in one of the other threads we should make a play for him next year. If we felt we were a genuine chance we could look at trading our 1st this year for a) preferably a 1st rounder next year or b) a package of 2nd rounders next year or 1 this year with 1 next year.

chef
29-09-2019, 05:14 PM
I'd like us to sigh Sam Murray. DFA and would only get a small wage. Has proven that he can play at a high level and if he's got his off field shit sorted out it's a no brainer for mine.

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 05:16 PM
I'd like us to sigh Sam Murray. DFA and would only get a small wage. Has proven that he can play at a high level and if he's got his off field shit sorted out it's a no brainer for mine.

Do we need another half back flanker?

strebla
29-09-2019, 05:31 PM
It's Elliott for me little time in the midfield but replaces picken nicely which we have missed since we won our flag.

chef
29-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Do we need another half back flanker?

I guess the question is is he better than some of our half back flankers. I rate him and could see him making us better, maybe even releasing some like JJ to a wing. Free depth at worst.

lemmon
29-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Moneyball style, could Masten be our De Boer? We lack a run with midfielder.

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 07:08 PM

I don't think so, he's a god awful kick and I think his best footy is well behind him.

chef
29-09-2019, 07:55 PM

Could Wallis do this role?

Bumper Bulldogs
29-09-2019, 07:57 PM

Is this something that Wallis or Libba could do. If we couldn’t get Elliott I would head to the draft as it’s been a good solution for us over the last few years. I think we need to look st getting some more Pace and zip. Another B Smith would be nice.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-09-2019, 07:58 PM

Can’t believe you pitted me Chef

anfo27
29-09-2019, 10:20 PM
After watching us get pushed aside like a school boy team in that first final it made me wonder 'do we need more tough mongrels?' This years team is more talented than the premiership version but we were far tougher in 16. It always looks worse than it probably really is after a loss like that but it really stood out to me.
We've lost Smith of the Clay variety, Pickers, Ronnie Biggs, Moz & Dahl as well as libba & Dicko who weren't selected. All in my book tough hombres of varying degrees but tough none the less.
Watching the tigers physicality yesterday was impressive. Do we have a list that can develop that kind of tough edge to it or do we need to bring that in?

Rocket Science
30-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Tough hombres aren't much chop if they can't find nor use the footy, and we can't squander a spot on a fringe hard-arse in case things get willing, it's a misguided response to what happened against the fluoro turds. Sure, Trengove or Libba would've flown the flag, but that's beside the point because they hurt us worse with the pill than anything that occurred off-ball.

Conversely, I'm reminded of that epic Bob line while addressing the squad prior to a bounce;

"If they come after one, they come after all. They can't handle all!"

We'd do well to remember that.

bornadog
30-09-2019, 03:20 PM
Tough hombres aren't much chop if they can't find nor use the footy, and we can't squander a spot on a fringe hard-arse in case things get willing, it's a misguided response to what happened against the fluoro turds. Sure, Trengove or Libba would've flown the flag, but that's beside the point because they hurt us worse with the pill than anything that occurred off-ball.

Conversely, I'm reminded of that epic Bob line while addressing the squad prior to a bounce;

I agree, the so called hard stuff was the sniping not the genuine tough stuff. We lost that game because our mids couldn't get their hands on the ball.

anfo27
30-09-2019, 06:43 PM

They did come for one & the all did nothing. We were physically intimidated against the giants & thats what planted the seed. We did have 11 pups play their first final so i know these pups will improve with more finals exposure. I'm just a tad concerned that finals footy is a different beast to home & away stuff & do we have the right balance to thrive in September.

Remi Moses
30-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Bit early on that call
Yeah if we got intimidated again , I’d agree
One game isn’t a great sample size

azabob
30-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Bit early on that call
Yeah if we got intimidated again , I’d agree
One game isn’t a great sample size

Remi it did happen a few times during the year. The saints game was another example we couldn't handle the heat in the kitchen.

Vred
30-09-2019, 11:35 PM
Throw the kitchen sink at Darcy Moore and Jamie Elliott, get rid of Jong, Roberts, Lynch, Gowers for next years draft points, and be incredibly happy with this trade period.

Remi Moses
01-10-2019, 12:37 AM
Remi it did happen a few times during the year. The saints game was another example we couldn't handle the heat in the kitchen.

Probably right , but there is going to be games where you get that

AshMac
01-10-2019, 06:07 PM

That’d be my thoughts - he played that role well in 2014/15 I thought. 15 he broke out more as an inside mid I think with Libba out.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Initially The Herald Sun & Ricky Nixon had said we were into Zac Clarke as a back up ruck. He’s not getting a contract at Geelong. Reporting in the last week said GCS & Essendon interested. Essendon have interviewed Phillips from Carlton in between. If they prefer Phillips and Smith isn’t interested in going back to GCS if we had a like offer. Zac Smith for pick 84 (or DFA) seems like a good insurance ruckman (& cheap).

Bumper Bulldogs
02-10-2019, 10:08 PM
Throw the kitchen sink at Darcy Moore and Jamie Elliott, get rid of Jong, Roberts, Lynch, Gowers for next years draft points, and be incredibly happy with this trade period.

Vred you I are the man. I would love it. I would give up anything for these two it would complete us no doubt at all

Vred
03-10-2019, 05:24 AM
Vred you I are the man. I would love it. I would give up anything for these two it would complete us no doubt at all

I'd honestly throw everything we can to nail down those two. I know it would push someone like Dickson out of the side but seriously. A forward line with Dale, Naughton, Llyod, Bruce, Elliott, Schache (who I am still bullish on) and if we can develop someone like West into a tackle-machine up forward, it would be the scariest forward line in the comp.

One could only dream.

bornadog
04-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Papley willing to go anywhere as long as he is back in Melbourne.

I say lets go for him

bulldogtragic
04-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Papley willing to go anywhere as long as he is back in Melbourne.

I say lets go for him

Kitchen sink.

Carlton would be at least pick 8. We'd have to add a player good enough to cover our pick 13.

bornadog
04-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Kitchen sink.

Carlton would be at least pick 8. We'd have to add a player good enough to cover our pick 13.

I am sure something can be worked out. :)

Hotdog60
04-10-2019, 01:27 PM
Would someone like Lynch be of interest to them with pick 13.

He may get a better run at Sydney.

comrade
04-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Bruce, Keath & Papley would be an unbelievable result. Dare to dream, Sam P.

Mofra
04-10-2019, 01:42 PM
If we could find a way just to get Keath and Bruce across the line and still have a pick in the 20s I'd be doing backflips.

Elijah Taylor, Flea or a genuine slider.

1eyedog
04-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Papas would be shit hot just what we need.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Gee I hope we are into Papley.

He would be a perfect addition.

comrade
04-10-2019, 02:17 PM
If we could find a way just to get Keath and Bruce across the line and still have a pick in the 20s I'd be doing backflips.

Elijah Taylor, Flea or a genuine slider.

That should be the bare minimum result.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Gee I hope we are into Papley.

He would be a perfect addition.

Reading about what's going on with him, it sounds close to what Josh Schache was going through in his last year at Brisbane. I imagine as both were drafted in 2015 from country teams, they may know each other from way back. Schache might be a good ambassador (with Bonts & Naughton) to grab a meal and talk about footy and how our club supported him back to a healthy balance of professional footy and closeness of family.

The highest bid looks like Pick 9 with Carlton.
Our pick 13 then has to have a good player added, probably a mid McLean/Lipinski/Libba/Wallis type. Fringe players have no currency. Look to minor exchanges of their pick 28 & 45 for our pick 35 & 53 after compo shuffles. (Makes Bruce & Keath & future 2nd pick trade's easier)
Offer him the $700,000 X 5 (that Martin knocked back)

If he is in fact gettable, big IF, then we should make it happen.

MrMahatma
05-10-2019, 01:17 AM
Reading about what's going on with him, it sounds close to what Josh Schache was going through in his last year at Brisbane. I imagine as both were drafted in 2015 from country teams, they may know each other from way back. Schache might be a good ambassador (with Bonts & Naughton) to grab a meal and talk about footy and how our club supported him back to a healthy balance of professional footy and closeness of family.

Our pick 13 then has to have a good player added, probably a mid McLean/Lipinski/Libba/Wallis type. Fringe players have no currency. Look to minor exchanges of their pick 28 & 45 for our pick 35 & 53 after compo shuffles. (Makes Bruce & Keath & future 2nd pick trade's easier)

I’d be very careful about trading out F/S unless they request it.

And Libba was top 5 B&F in the first half of the year. He’s going nowhere. He’s not replaceable.

GVGjr
05-10-2019, 09:14 AM

We seem to have committed to both Keath and Schache so I can't quite see how we can make a play for Papely with the picks we have as it stands. Would he really be that much of a difference maker for us?

Things to consider:
- We still need to position ourselves better for next years targets, we can't lose sight of that
- Could we package up the 3rd round picks into something that would satisfy Adelaide or StKilda while maintaining an early pick?
- Our list spots are very tight
- Could we trade away one of our own established players to improve our position?

There are a lot of things to consider, this is where Power and his team earn their keep but I'm not sure we have the chips to do so unless we take a vastly longer term view on things

bulldogtragic
05-10-2019, 09:31 AM

And Libba was top 5 B&F in the first half of the year. He’s going nowhere. He’s not replaceable.

I completely agree. After losing numerous mids to retirement/trade, and Kennedy getting on, they should be in a lot of players ears. If they offered longer years, same/slightly better money no a promise of 90/10 split of plying midfield. That might entice someone to look at being open to a trade.

GVGjr
05-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Spot on, trying to trade any player who didn't see it coming is typically a problem for a club as it can impact the other players and I agree the father son players make it a bit harder as well.

I doubt we would have any player in our best 22 looking to leave us but perhaps some of the players just outside of that would be interested if other clubs approached them
Could someone like Zaine Cordy see the writing on the wall that he is potentially behind Keath, Trengove, Lewis and Lachlan Young and Wood for a senior spot and think his best chance could be at another club?
A few here have mentioned McLean also

Once the trade period starts there could be a few clubs with an eye on our players

Sedat
05-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Papley is a good player but when did he become Leigh Matthews? He must have a fantastic manager because he is being talked up brilliantly this trade period.

I notice that Zac Williams made top 5 in the GWS B&F last night - Taranto won and Hopper finished 3rd. I would have no hesitation in offering our first pick this year for Williams (and getting a 2nd round pick back next year to help with draft points). Rate him very highly - the way he stepped in and dominated in midfield against the filth in the PF was highly impressive.

Failing that, I heard that Aidan Bonar is on 400k a year to kick the dew off the grass at NEAFL so the Giants clearly still have some salary cap dumping to do in order to hold onto Cameron and Whitfield (and their young gun mids in the future).

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Papley is a good player but when did he become Leigh Matthews? He must have a fantastic manager because he is being talked up brilliantly this trade period.

I notice that Zac Williams made top 5 in the GWS B&F last night - Taranto won and Hopper finished 3rd. I would have no hesitation in offering our first pick this year for Williams (and getting a 2nd round pick back next year to help with draft points). Rate him very highly - the way he stepped in and dominated in midfield against the filth in the PF was highly impressive.

Failing that, I heard that Aidan Bonar is on 400k a year to kick the dew off the grass at NEAFL so the Giants clearly still have some salary cap dumping to do in order to hold onto Cameron and Whitfield (and their young gun mids in the future).

I do agree - a top 10 pick is stupid which seems like what it'll end up being close to.

I like him as a player though and I think he'd fit our dynamic well as a small forward who creates movement, gets to the feet of the big forwards and also applies pressure. We really don't have anyone like that on our list - Cavarra from the little I have seen is nowhere near that type of player.

Williams would be a great get but I can't see them letting him go anywhere. Bonar is a kid granted but what I've seen looked ... boring?

The Doctor
05-10-2019, 12:33 PM
I don't get the Papley love. Agree he is a good player but I'd be reluctant to deal our 1st round pick for him

Rocket Science
05-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Appears it's handy to be publicly pondering a move when there's few if any others doing likewise who happen to play your position.

That, and even fringe shit trucks being useful fodder for headlines this time of year.

Happy Days
05-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Papley is a stud. The rare combination of outstanding forward pressure and actual danger around goals, and when deployed in the Swans midfield actually looked like their most dynamic stoppage threat. He can be the player that Essendon thought they were getting in Stringer.

Pick 13 isn't pick 5. I've been pretty clear about trading out tippy top picks but 13 (which will probably end up 15) isn't one of those, and especially not when you get in a player as young and as good as Papley. Brisbane got Cameron for 12, a similar player who was not as good as Papley when they made the trade.

I know you're reading Sam. Do the trade.

Testekill
05-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Williams is a super player, would pay up to get him even if he's in a position that we're pretty strong in.

I do like Papley but he's seeking midfield time and that's gonna be tough for us to provide. We'd have to give McLean or Lipinski the boot to fit him into the 22.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-10-2019, 02:11 PM
"WESTERN BULLDOGS reportedly made a bid for young Carlton midfielder Zac Fisher, according to the Herald Sun. The Blues quickly rejected the approach for the 55-game youngster, who they selected with Pick 27 in the 2016 national draft. It’s understood the Bulldogs were keen on Fisher for his line-breaking ability and excellent left foot. The 21-year-old lives with Blues captain and fellow West Australian Patrick Cripps. He is contracted until the end of 2021."
Insane, love it, we're going for even more lefties!

BornInDroopSt'54
11-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Amazing that we are going for more left footers. It might be just that we're going for good kicks but interesting if its a strategy.

Sedat
11-10-2019, 06:01 PM
Zac Fisher is a very nice player. I like the thinking behind targetting elite users who can also win their own ball.

Happy Days
11-10-2019, 09:07 PM
Zac Fisher is a very nice player. I like the thinking behind targetting elite users who can also win their own ball.

I really don’t see it with him. To me, he’s a lot like Caleb without the field vision and actually plays like his size. We’d have to give up probably 13 and it’s too rich for my blood.

Sedat
12-10-2019, 10:26 AM
I really don’t see it with him. To me, he’s a lot like Caleb without the field vision and actually plays like his size. We’d have to give up probably 13 and it’s too rich for my blood.
His size is his only real negative. He is a beautiful user of the ball and can actually win it himself despite his lack of size.

Not sure of his trade worth but I do like that we are targeting players who are natural footballers and use it well. Meanwhile Melbourne have added 2 ball butchers to a midfield already full of butchers.

1eyedog
12-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Heaps quicker than Caleb and actually carries the ball rather than a win ball stop offload creatively player like Caleb. He's slight but he's predominately outside and uses it well. Has a goal radar too. I like him alot but 13 is too high something the other side of 20 I'd pay no problem.