PDA

View Full Version : Our Western Bulldogs Mount Rushmore?

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 01:04 PM
I'd like to hear the thoughts and reasons on who would be nominated for a Western Bulldogs Mount Rushmore style tribute?
Lets see if we can get to 10 heads for our Mount Rushmore tribute. Perhaps we could get someone like Rocket Science to assemble the picture for us

To get the ball rolling I'll nominate two club legends (In my opinion)

First up would be Teddy Whitten, great player and media superstar who also coached us. He even had our home base named after him.

My next nomination for be Peter Gordon. Was instrumental in our survival and has come back as president again and has put us into such a strong financial position which most of us never thought was possible.

There are 4 or 5 others that easily come to mind but I'd enjoying hearing from others.

Please give us one or two nominations and your reasons why?

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Reserved to assemble the nominations

comrade
29-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Simon Dalrymple as one from left field.

Pretty much assembled our 2016 team from scratch and made the club defining decision to draft Bontempelli.

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Simon Dalrymple as one from left field.

Pretty much assembled our 2016 team from scratch and made the club defining decision to draft Bontempelli.

I still see him at a lot of the TAC games I attend. That's an interesting and excellent nomination.
Can he make it to the top 10 though?

Scraggers
29-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Doug Hawkins - The reason I became a Bulldogs supporter to start with. His skill level was sublime, and he was the face of The Bulldogs for a very long time. But it was his work with kids at schools and footy clinics that I think should get him his nomination. He was never too big to stop and have a chat or a kick

Scraggers
29-09-2019, 01:14 PM
Bevo - The Coach that broke the drought ... need I say more?

dadsgirl16
29-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Agree with all of the above...I would like to nominate Chris Grant

ledge
29-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Charlie Sutton of course

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Chris Grant.

As a teenage 105th pick in the draft, just as the club nearly merged. His career could've been over before it began.
Yet with Fightback keeping us alive, Chris too became the face of a re-emerging Bulldogs team. Quickly became a bonafide star, and evoked shades of EJ as a dual threat CHF/CHB.
When in the mid 90's our existence as a club looked shaky again, Port loomed as a dagger to our heart; with a huge contract offer to lure Grant.
. Chris chose loyalty over dollars. A lot of Bulldog's players were probably considering their options based on what Chris decided to do.
His decision to stay was the bedrock that allowed us to emerge in 97.

We all know how unlucky he was not to win a Brownlow, and the agony of prelims.
341 games 554 goals.

He has since become a significant part of the club's football department during our rise to Premiers.

ledge
29-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Allan Hopkins was huge and Era should maybe come into it.
Let’s say one from every 20 years ?
Gives us 7.
1880 to 2020

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 01:29 PM
Charlie Sutton of course

Please add your reasons, it's not FB

bornadog
29-09-2019, 01:34 PM
John Schultz - Brownlow medalist at age 21, 5 times Sutton Medal winner, represented Victoria 24 times and was AA.

Following on from his football career, served on the AFL tribunal.

SlimPickens
29-09-2019, 01:37 PM
John Schultz - Brownlow medalist at age 21, 5 times Sutton Medal winner, represented Victoria 24 times and was AA.

Following on from his football career, served on the AFL tribunal.

Not to mention he is still a brilliant clubman

Hotdog60
29-09-2019, 01:50 PM
I'm with Chris grant for the reasons mentioned above.

Murphy'sLore
29-09-2019, 01:54 PM
I second Peter Gordon. He dragged us back from the brink in 1989, without him there is no club.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Scotty West. A true gun player. The record of being a 7 time B&F. 5 X All Australian. 2 X Brownlow runner up. Bulldogs Team of the Century. AFL Hall of Fame. Honoured by the club by naming the most courageous player award in his honour. 324 games, 104 goals. Given us four potential father/sons, 1 already having debuted. Knocked back serious offers from 'big clubs' and stayed loyal to the West.

ledge
29-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Please add your reasons, it's not FB

First premiership captain , coached, was on the board for many years.

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 05:27 PM
First premiership captain , coached, was on the board for many years.

Thanks

chef
29-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Zaine Cordys knee, without it we probably wouldn't have made the GF let alone win it.

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Zaine Cordys knee, without it we probably wouldn't have made the GF let alone win it.

C'mon Chef, we need nominations with a bit more substance and perhaps not necessarily 2016 related

comrade
29-09-2019, 07:08 PM
Dale Morris. Symbolic of the Bulldog spirit, bridged the gap between multiple distinct eras of our club, and was instrumental in our 2nd flag.

westdog54
29-09-2019, 07:09 PM
Sutton. Led the club to its first premiership and continued to lead and inspire the club for many years to come.
Whitten. Club Games record holder for two and a half decades. You don't get the nickname Mr Football without being one of the best.
Gordon. Saved the club, stepped away and returned to lead it to glory.
Beveridge. Inspired one of the greatest finals series' put up by any team in the league's history. And when it cane time to have his moment in the spotlight, he stepped back in favour of another club hero.

comrade
29-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Sutton. Led the club to its first premiership and continued to lead and inspire the club for many years to come.
Whitten. Club Games record holder for two and a half decades. You don't get the nickname Mr Football without being one of the best.
Gordon. Saved the club, stepped away and returned to lead it to glory.
Beveridge. Inspired one of the greatest finals series' put up by any team in the league's history. And when it cane time to have his moment in the spotlight, he stepped back in favour of another club hero.

I think those 4 pick themselves, along with Chris Grant. And probably Dougie.

chef
29-09-2019, 07:14 PM
C'mon Chef, we need nominations with a bit more substance and perhaps not necessarily 2016 related

Just having a bit of fun haha.

Irene Chatfield should be in the discussion for a spot for obvious reasons.

GVGjr
29-09-2019, 07:24 PM
Our games record holder Brad Johnson should be in the mix as well
Simon Beasley topped our goal kicking 7 times

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Kelvin Templeton
-Club captain, leading goalkicker and best and fairest
-Brownlow medalist
-Coleman Medalist
-Club's first century goalkicker
-Saved the Sydney Swans
-went to the club when his knee was wrecked and said "I'm *!*!*!*!ed and I will never play decent footy again. Get what you can for me"

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 07:54 PM
George Sayer
-worked harder than anyone else to get us admitted to the VFL
-recruited good players to the club with his own money

James Cuming
-pumped more money into the club than probably anyone else
-was president for years in the late 1880s to the 1900s during our first great successful period

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Gary Hinke

-has been to over 1000 consecutive games!

strebla
29-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Loudly with the Chris Grant nomination just everything you want in a player and ambassador for our great club.my nomination would be David Smorgan I agree with all that has been said about Peter Gordon bur the tireless work of David should not go in-noted.
My second nomination is Sue Alberti for her work to get the women's teams up and running and her charity work.

Scraggers
30-09-2019, 03:09 AM
Gary Hinke

-has been to over 1000 consecutive games!

Popeye?? Incredible bloke. Always stops to talk to me and my son. Always remembers his name too :cool:

Mofra
30-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Agree with all of the above...I would like to nominate Chris Grant
Bigger job than the others, getting that chin and forehead onto a mountain

The Doctor
30-09-2019, 11:32 AM
My four

Charlie Sutton
Irene Chatfield
Peter Gordon
Luke Beveridge

GVGjr
30-09-2019, 12:04 PM
I was wondering when Irene would be nominated. Thanks Doc

bornadog
30-09-2019, 12:18 PM
Irene Chatfield should be in the discussion for a spot for obvious reasons.

missed this :)

chef
30-09-2019, 05:23 PM

Cough'chef'cough.

SonofScray
30-09-2019, 06:47 PM
10 heads is very generous for a Mt Rushmore style tribute! Poor old Crazy Horse has been waiting 70 years for his memorial.

Some great nominations. We have a gluttony of recent long term, iconic players, some prominent administrators and very recent premiership heroes. I'm going to offer names based on their symbolism and impact across generations.

1 EJ - Mr Football. His shadow is shrinking with the passage of time, but a bridge, road, ground, charity game and two statues tells us something.

2 Charlie - The Dog Father. Goes without saying.

3. Dougie - the embodiment of our cultural and community heart. Working class hero. Sent our spirits soaring.

4. C Grant - the best of that crop of long term contributors through the 90s/00s. West more accolades, but KPF/D more important.

5. Basil from the Cheer squad.

hujsh
02-10-2019, 10:23 PM
Wonder if Bob reads Woof...

Eastdog
03-10-2019, 01:20 AM
Brad Johnson. Embodies the Bulldog fighting spirit. Won our goal kicking a few times.

Garry Hincks. The greatest Bulldog supporter we have.

Irene Chatfield. A supporter who saved our club from extinction in 1989

Peter Gordon. Instrumental in the 89 fightback and has put our club in a great position today from what it once was.

EJ Whitten. A Bulldog Legend who was involved in our first premiership win in 54 and has lots of things named in his honour EJ
Whitten Oval, Whitten Avenue, EJ Whitten Bridge and statues in both Braybrook and Footscray.

Charlie Sutton. Our first ever premiership captain coach.

David Smorgon. Instrumental as president in helping our club in tough times in the late 90s to propel it forward to what it is today.

Susan Alberti. A significant board member for many years who has made a significant contribution to our club, in the community and for women’s football.

Luke Beveridge. Lead us to our 2nd ever flag as coach through that magnificent 2016 final series.

Dr Jake Langsberger. The famous club doctor. Didn’t know him personally but from what I heard tonight at the b and f he is a very special part of our club.

strebla
03-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Love the Dr Jake call well done Easty

Eastdog
03-10-2019, 09:00 PM
I’ll add the great Doug Hawkins as well but I already put down 10. Yeah I really liked the tribute to Dr Landsberger last night and learnt a bit about what he did behind the scenes that a lot may have not known.

bornadog
03-10-2019, 11:37 PM
With all due respect to the non-footballers that have been nominated, I wouldn't have any of them unless someone is extremely special. Peter G would be the only one.