PDA

View Full Version : Coaches locked in for 2020

bornadog
01-10-2019, 06:50 PM
link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-10-01/coaches-locked-in-for-2020)

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/700264-tlslargelandscape.jpg

The Western Bulldogs have confirmed their AFL coaching structure for the 2020 season.

One personnel change has been made to the coaching team, while there have been multiple role changes.

Recently-retired premiership defender Dale Morris will make an immediate transition to coaching, becoming a development coach after calling time on his 253-game AFL career in August.

Jordan Russell will transition from a development coach to an assistant coach, taking charge of the midfield, while senior assistant coach Steven King will relinquish his defensive role for a portfolio including opposition, training and strategy.

After three years as development manager, Rohan Smith returns to the defensive coaching role he held from 2013 to 2016. Jamie Maddocks will move into the position of development manager after three years as opposition and development coach.

General Manager of Football, Chris Maple, said the addition of Morris would complement an established coaching panel.

“Dale has had a profound impact at the Western Bulldogs over the past 15 years, and we’re delighted to have him join our coaching team,” Maple said.

“As a player, he was smart, competitive and selfless, with a drive to make those around him better – traits which will serve him well as a coach.

“It’s also pleasing to have Jordan and Jamie taking the next steps in their coaching pathways after making strong contributions as development coaches, moving into the roles of midfield coach and development manager respectively.

“Rohan returns to a familiar role as our back-line coach, which will allow Steven to have a more overarching influence as senior assistant coach.”

Assistant coach Steve Grace, who guided the Bulldogs’ midfield group in 2019 after two seasons at the helm of Footscray, will explore other opportunities in the AFL industry.

“Steve has played an important role for our Club over the past three years,” Maple said.

“He helped fast-track the growth of our emerging players in two years as Footscray coach, before guiding our AFL midfield group this year, which continued to show promising signs.

“We wish Steve well for the future as he continues his coaching journey.”

Joel Corey, Ash Hansen and Daniel Giansiracusa will remain in their current positions, while senior coach Luke Beveridge is contracted until the end of 2023 after signing a three-year extension in July.

Western Bulldogs 2020 coaching team

Luke Beveridge – Senior Coach
Steven King – Senior Assistant Coach (Opposition, Training and Strategy)
Rohan Smith – Assistant Coach (Defensive Systems and Backs)
Jordan Russell – Assistant Coach (Midfield)
Joel Corey – Assistant Coach (Stoppages and Set Plays)
Ash Hansen – Assistant Coach (Offensive Systems and Forwards)
Daniel Giansiracusa – VFL Head Coach
Jamie Maddocks – Development Manager
Dale Morris – Development Coach

bulldogtragic
01-10-2019, 06:54 PM
No one new coming into the coaching panel. I suppose not a surprise.

The Doctor
01-10-2019, 07:03 PM
I like the moves of promoting Russell and bringing Rohan Smith back into defence.

Morris a no brainer really.

Bulldog Joe
01-10-2019, 07:08 PM
I like the moves of promoting Russell and bringing Rohan Smith back into defence.

Getting Rohan Smith back where he excelled in 2016 is a big positive for me.

soupman
01-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Dissapointed that yet again we are passing on an opportunity to change things up. Literally no fresh blood, no outside experience and nobody to offer alternative ideas. Looks like we have these guys till they decide to retire.

Hotdog60
01-10-2019, 07:13 PM
We'll they have another season to get us moving. I think a pass mark for the assistant coaches will be finals and maybe more than one game in the finals.

azabob
01-10-2019, 08:16 PM
How underwhelming.

GVGjr
01-10-2019, 08:21 PM

Same here, it's changed sufficiently enough and in fact I think the department has been beefed up

I would have liked someone coming in from another club because it would be a chance to hear some fresh ideas but I'm actually very positive about the changes detailed today

bornadog
01-10-2019, 08:38 PM
These were the coaches going into 2016

BRETT MONTGOMERY - SNR ASSISTANT
ROHAN SMITH - BACKS
DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA - FORWARDS
STEVEN KING - MIDFIELD
JOEL COREY - STOPPAGES
CRAIG JENNINGS - OPPOSITION ANALYST
Chris Maple - Head of Development
Ashley Hansen - VFL
Stewart Edge - Development Coach

I think there has been a bit of movement since then

GVGjr
01-10-2019, 08:39 PM
These were the coaches going into 2016

BRETT MONTGOMERY - SNR ASSISTANT
ROHAN SMITH - BACKS
DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA - FORWARDS
STEVEN KING - MIDFIELD
JOEL COREY - STOPPAGES
CRAIG JENNINGS - OPPOSITION ANALYST
Chris Maple - Head of Development
Ashley Hansen - VFL
Stewart Edge - Development Coach

I think there has been a bit of movement since then

Graham Lowe as GM of Football as well

GVGjr
01-10-2019, 08:45 PM
How underwhelming.

There was some speculation a few weeks back that there would be 2 changes to the coaching so it was never going to be wholesale changes

Getting Smith back is a positive as he built a strong rapport with the defensive players before he moved into other roles
I would have preferred at least one other change but lets now see how the team performs

bornadog
01-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Graham Lowe as GM of Football as well

The list is just the coaches

azabob
01-10-2019, 08:56 PM
There was some speculation a few weeks back that there would be 2 changes to the coaching so it was never going to be wholesale changes

Getting Smith back is a positive as he built a strong rapport with the defensive players before he moved into other roles
I would have preferred at least one other change but lets now see how the team performs

I also was hoping for an addition that was outside of the club.
I wonder if the strong end to the home and away season put a stop to bringing in an assistant from outside the club?
The other unknown is we may have targeted someone and it fell through, they may have got a senior job.

GVGjr
01-10-2019, 09:00 PM
I also was hoping for an addition that was outside of the club.
I wonder if the strong end to the home and away season put a stop to bringing in an assistant from outside the club?
The other unknown is we may have targeted someone and it fell through, they may have got a senior job.

You have probably hit the nail on the head but I would imagine that when Bevo signed the extension he already had strong ideas of the coaches he wanted around him. If no one poaches our coaches they might all get long service with us :)

bornadog
01-10-2019, 09:03 PM
You have probably hit the nail on the head but I would imagine that when Bevo signed the extension he already had strong ideas of the coaches he wanted around him. If no one poaches our coaches they might all get long service with us :)

Since the premiership we have had 4 changes out of 9. The other 5 have moved around including stints as VFL coach.

azabob
01-10-2019, 09:04 PM
Just on Graham Lowe, Beveridge is on record how much he helped him during 2015/16. Hopefully Bevo and Mae continue to develop the same chemistry.

GVGjr
01-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Since the premiership we have had 4 changes out of 9. The other 5 have moved around including stints as VFL coach.

Monty went before we won the flag and I think Jennings work with the coaches and not directly with the players

Essentially the players have been listening to the same voices for many years (Smith, Gia, King, Hansen and Corey) albeit with some shuffling of the roles the coaches perform. I'd probably lean to the notion that this isn't ideal and that the occasional new direction could prove invigorating for some of the players

bornadog
01-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Monty went before we won the flag and I think Jennings work with the coaches and not directly with the players

Essentially the players have been listening to the same voices for many years (Smith, Gia, King, Hansen and Corey) albeit with some shuffling of the roles the coaches perform. I'd probably lean to the notion that this isn't ideal and that the occasional new direction could prove invigorating for some of the players

A couple more changes would have been good.

Remi Moses
01-10-2019, 10:08 PM
Would love one outside voice in , but let’s see how it evolves

Bumper Bulldogs
01-10-2019, 11:02 PM
I’m OK with these. I like Morris in and Smith back to the role he knows. Without any newbies coming in I think it’s the best fit for ours and their needs.

GVGjr
01-10-2019, 11:20 PM
A couple more changes would have been good.

I think one of the real successes of the club over the last 6 years or so is way we have brought in various experts into our board members especially when we have needed to add some skills and expertise in certain area's.
Why we have felt the need to maintain a very settled coaching group especially when we haven't quite been performing as I think we should have been is more than a little perplexing.
Getting someone in to challenge the status quo in a positive manner could be just what we needed
Lets hope or patience is rewarded in a big way

Bulldog4life
02-10-2019, 10:09 AM
It would be interesting to know the length of each assistant's contract.

angelopetraglia
02-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Dale Morris - fantastic.

Why do we believe we don't need any new IP from any other clubs? Disappointing that we not been more ambitious in securing some new assistant coach talent.

MrMahatma
02-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Dale Morris - fantastic.

Why do we believe we don't need any new IP from any other clubs? Disappointing that we not been more ambitious in securing some new assistant coach talent.

And our coaches aren’t getting poached?!

Who of our assistants would be putting their hand up for a top gig in the coming years? King?

bornadog
02-10-2019, 06:33 PM
And our coaches aren’t getting poached?!

Who of our assistants would be putting their hand up for a top gig in the coming years? King?

Gia is pretty good

Rocket Science
02-10-2019, 07:09 PM
We've got quite the little coaching cult going there, Moz makes a logical addition.

strebla
02-10-2019, 10:11 PM
If any have an ambition for a top job surely they would want to ply their trade elsewhere.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2019, 10:15 PM
If any have an ambition for a top job surely they would want to ply their trade elsewhere.

That’s what Rocket told Leon Cameron. Was good advice.

strebla
02-10-2019, 10:20 PM

Just makes sense to me I want to sell my wares I want them displayed to as many clubs as possible.

dog town
03-10-2019, 05:59 AM
Couldn’t be less worried about getting people in from outside. I would say the group we have is more than innovative enough and Bevo is clearly working to a plan. I like that we don’t just follow the leader and stick to our plans.

In my experience coaches from outside are not always a good thing especially when you have a unique style which we do. Happy to take someone new in but I’m not losing sleep over it.

GVGjr
03-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Couldn’t be less worried about getting people in from outside. I would say the group we have is more than innovative enough and Bevo is clearly working to a plan. I like that we don’t just follow the leader and stick to our plans.

In my experience coaches from outside are not always a good thing especially when you have a unique style which we do. Happy to take someone new in but I’m not losing sleep over it.

The problem is that over the last 3 years I don't believe we have got the best out of the playing group so we are backing the same coaches that haven't been as successful as we would have all hoped for

The stability we have displayed has typically been a trademark of teams performing at a higher level.

If we can improve a bit on our 2019 season then it's obviously worked out well for us, if we slip back then there will be a need to review this approach.

I remain positive about the changes we have made but in 12 months we will have a better idea if it's actually worked
We need to see steady improvement across many of the players in 2020

WBFC4FFC
03-10-2019, 05:15 PM

It's what Clarkson espouses too. Obviously Bevo has different view to his former Mentor.

dog town
04-10-2019, 07:23 AM
The problem is that over the last 3 years I don't believe we have got the best out of the playing group so we are backing the same coaches that haven't been as successful as we would have all hoped for

The stability we have displayed has typically been a trademark of teams performing at a higher level.

If we can improve a bit on our 2019 season then it's obviously worked out well for us, if we slip back then there will be a need to review this approach.

I remain positive about the changes we have made but in 12 months we will have a better idea if it's actually worked
We need to see steady improvement across many of the players in 2020 On ability and experience 7th is a good result. I want more but I don’t think we can mount a case for under achieving.

I’m not against new blood I just don’t think there is much evidence to support the amount of angst it causes our supporters. Opposition coaches throughout the finals made mention of our unique style of play so I don’t think we are bereft of ideas.

GVGjr
04-10-2019, 08:20 AM
On ability and experience 7th is a good result. I want more but I don’t think we can mount a case for under achieving.

I’m not against new blood I just don’t think there is much evidence to support the amount of angst it causes our supporters. Opposition coaches throughout the finals made mention of our unique style of play so I don’t think we are bereft of ideas.

On ability we should have finished around 9th to 7th so that really isn't the issue. We also had a very good draw
Where I don't think we are performing that well is the development of some of the players. Lynch for example had some promising performances in 2018 but couldn't crack it for a game in 2019. Lewis Young laboured throughout the year in a variety of roles before getting a couple of games later in the season.

azabob
04-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Player development is probably one of, if not the most important factor in a clubs on field success. I find it odd that the player development coaches are often fresh out of the game and only learning the coaching caper themselves. Wouldn’t a more experienced coach be better at this role?

bornadog
19-05-2020, 01:49 PM
Chris Grant on SEN has said three of 9 assistants have been let go at this stage. Not sure who they are.

GVGjr
19-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Chris Grant on SEN has said three of 9 assistants have been let go at this stage. Not sure who they are.

Bevo mentioned yesterday it's been the most difficult time for him at the club.

Letting go of coaches (and players) isn't an easy task for him

I know this sounds harsh but it's not meant to be but he can still restructure the remaining coaches and run it efficiently

I would imagine Jordan Russell might be an unlucky one and Giansiracusa has no VFL side. Perhaps Dale Morris as well
Or could a hard call be made on one of Hansen, Smith or Corey?

All of our guys are quality coaches and footy people

Axe Man
19-05-2020, 02:32 PM
My guess would be Gia, Morris and either Jordan Russell or Jamie Maddocks (development manager).

GVGjr
19-05-2020, 02:48 PM
My guess would be Gia, Morris and either Jordan Russell or Jamie Maddocks (development manager).

Going to be hard on those guys isn't it?

Gia and Maddocks have done a power of work with our younger guys and Morris and Russell are well respected.

Not easy to lose any of them

Mofra
19-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Bevo mentioned yesterday it's been the most difficult time for him at the club.
It absolutely would be - we tend not to have a high turnover of assistants so that team would have worked together for years, and planned to work together for the whole of this year too.

bornadog
19-05-2020, 02:55 PM
It absolutely would be - we tend not to have a high turnover of assistants so that team would have worked together for years, and planned to work together for the whole of this year too.

Chris said, if you multiply this by each team, there are alot of assistants out of a job.

Also mentioned, the restriction of 25 in football dept, doesn't include recruiting.

GVGjr
19-05-2020, 03:06 PM

No one can question his loyalty towards players and coaches. He would be doing it tough

Prince Imperial
21-05-2020, 08:04 PM
Corey, Russell and Morris are the three stood down coaches. Corey is the stoppages and set play coach and I suspect he is paying the price for how poor these facets have been in our last two matches.

Dry Rot
21-05-2020, 08:59 PM
Chris said, if you multiply this by each team, there are alot of assistants out of a job.

Also mentioned, the restriction of 25 in football dept, doesn't include recruiting.

Sad news. Given the bold bit, I wonder many other footy support staff (non coaching) got the bullet?

And like other industries, there is speculation that things (including stuffing levels) will never be the same.

bornadog
22-05-2020, 12:01 AM
Corey, Russell and Morris are the three stood down coaches. Corey is the stoppages and set play coach and I suspect he is paying the price for how poor these facets have been in our last two matches.

Gee unlucky for Moz, but I guess he is the least experienced

Dry Rot
22-05-2020, 01:45 AM
As a mater of interest, what are the salary ranges for AFL coaches, assistant coaches and support staff?

Hotdog60
22-05-2020, 06:43 AM
The big clubs will find a work around. Their extra coaches will be employed by their sponsors and work at the club as unpaid interns.

Mofra
22-05-2020, 11:07 AM
The big clubs will find a work around. Their extra coaches will be employed by their sponsors and work at the club as unpaid interns.
I wonder if Chris Judd's mum, is still working for Visy

GVGjr
22-05-2020, 11:09 AM

I don't think it's as easy as that. Isn't more about how many people 'can' be at the club and the training facility?

AndrewP6
22-05-2020, 01:26 PM

Seriously? I think this whole pandemic thing and the associated budget cuts are more to do with it.

bornadog
22-05-2020, 04:26 PM
As a mater of interest, what are the salary ranges for AFL coaches, assistant coaches and support staff?

Not sure but I remember when we lost an assistant under Rocket, he said we couldn't match the offer and he was going for $120k, but that was 10 years ago

Remi Moses
22-05-2020, 04:43 PM
Disappointing, but the times we’re in

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-05-2020, 09:58 PM
This was an ideal opportunity to refresh our Assistant coaching group by including one of our greats and highly regarded in Dale Morris
After 4 indifferent years we continue to lack looking to improve our off field football management.

Ozza
26-05-2020, 10:49 AM
I think the cuts had more to do with how many you are allowed to have on game day (6 now I think) and who was most crucial to keep. As I understand it, none of the 3 that were let go are line coaches, so it is likely that the decision is down to that.

Hopefully once clubs slowly return to normal, some of these coaches will be given opportunities to come back into the fold. Pretty hard to move on line coaches and replace them with a new development coach like Moz after the line coaches have implemented their plans for the season throughout the pre-season.

GVGjr
26-05-2020, 10:54 AM
I think the cuts had more to do with how many you are allowed to have on game day (6 now I think) and who was most crucial to keep. As I understand it, none of the 3 that were let go are line coaches, so it is likely that the decision is down to that.

Hopefully once clubs slowly return to normal, some of these coaches will be given opportunities to come back into the fold. Pretty hard to move on line coaches and replace them with a new development coach like Moz after the line coaches have implemented their plans for the season throughout the pre-season.

Ozza, we appear to have preferred Gia over Corey so there must be something to that

Mofra
26-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Ozza, we appear to have preferred Gia over Corey so there must be something to that
Isn't Gia our VFL coach? I'd imagine a VFL coach is more important than a line coach if you had to lose someone mid-season.

GVGjr
26-05-2020, 11:07 AM
Isn't Gia our VFL coach? I'd imagine a VFL coach is more important than a line coach if you had to lose someone mid-season.

Other clubs don't appear to have followed that though

I think it's a sign simply of where we rank our coaches

The Bulldogs Bite
26-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Corey's exclusion is interesting.

He's been at the club a long while now - 5+ years? Stiff to get the chop before Gia.

Ozza
26-05-2020, 11:44 AM
Other clubs don't appear to have followed that though

I think it's a sign simply of where we rank our coaches

Perhaps its a sign that we think the VFL team is pretty important and if/when the VFL starts up we'd like to have a coach.

The reality is, these are very tough decisions, and everything I am hearing (including from someone close to me who's been stood down by the club) is that Ameet and Granty have been outstanding throughout a difficult period and that none of the decisions on personnel have been taken lightly or without careful strategic thinking.

GVGjr
26-05-2020, 11:48 AM
Perhaps its a sign that we think the VFL team is pretty important and if/when the VFL starts up we'd like to have a coach.

The reality is, these are very tough decisions, and everything I am hearing (including from someone close to me who's been stood down by the club) is that Ameet and Granty have been outstanding throughout a difficult period and that none of the decisions on personnel have been taken lightly or without careful strategic thinking.

I'm 100% sure we have gone through a process in a very compassionate manner. I think we rate Gia as a coach which is why we brought him back into the reduced senior structure

Axe Man
26-05-2020, 12:42 PM
I imagine versatility would be an important factor deciding which coaches were kept on. Fewer personnel now need to cover off the various areas of responsibility (Sam Power doing temperature checks for instance). Corey being cut certainly surprises me but perhaps Gia just fitted better in the overall mix of roles and responsibilities required.

comrade
26-05-2020, 03:17 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Gia is just highly rated internally and felt he provides more.

GVGjr
26-05-2020, 03:42 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Gia is just highly rated internally and felt he provides more.

That's my reading. Possibly rated number 3

Scraggers
26-05-2020, 04:57 PM
That's my reading. Possibly rated number 3

Whilst I agree with you, why make him the VFL coach if he is rated that highly? Wouldn't you prefer to have your best people around you come match day?

GVGjr
26-05-2020, 05:07 PM
Whilst I agree with you, why make him the VFL coach if he is rated that highly? Wouldn't you prefer to have your best people around you come match day?

My guess is it's very much part of his overall development. I believe Gia and his senior coach ambitions believed with King entrenched as the senior assistant, coaching his own team was a good step forward.

bornadog
26-05-2020, 06:36 PM
I meant to say the other day, Daniel Cross was let go at Melbourne. He was the fitness advisor.

GVGjr
26-05-2020, 08:16 PM
I meant to say the other day, Daniel Cross was let go at Melbourne. He was the fitness advisor.

I don't see a way given the current crisis but wouldn't Cross be a great addition back at the club

Twodogs
26-05-2020, 08:21 PM
I don't see a way given the current crisis but wouldn't Cross be a great addition back at the club

I was just thinking that.

Twodogs
26-05-2020, 08:23 PM

Like this.

jeemak
26-05-2020, 09:35 PM
I wonder if Gia was let go by another club whether we'd be saying "gee wouldn't he be great at our club" without even thinking about it?

Not sure how many fitness and conditioning personnel and or advisors Melbourne have, but if Cross isn't good enough to be the first one or few selected for them why would we want him? How did Melbourne's 2019 season clearly scream the virtues of their fitness personnel?

Now I get things aren't simple, though the immediate reactions to the respective situations of these two football professionals kind of reminds me of their playing days. In the eyes of many fans one guy had to do so much to be recongnised for the value he brought to the table, while the other was viewed much less critically.

Pretty sure you can guess who is who.

Bulldog Revolution
28-05-2020, 11:20 AM

Whats Matty Boyds status at Collingwood?

comrade
28-05-2020, 11:40 AM

Good call. I'd love to see Boydy's hard edge back at the club.

Axe Man
28-05-2020, 12:39 PM

It's been reported that Garry Hocking and Brad Gotch were stood down from the Pies, haven't heard any mention of Boyd so assume he's still there.

Bulldog Revolution
28-05-2020, 01:05 PM

He and Cross were fierce, committed bulldogs - loved the way both of them maximised what they had and turned themselves into bloody good footballers

We've probably tolerated too much garbage after the premiership and we could use a harder approach

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-06-2020, 12:40 AM

It would be great to have MBoyd Cross and Morris all back at the Club to provide the hard edge that Bevo refers to as a vital need.

GVGjr
02-06-2020, 08:12 AM
It would be great to have MBoyd Cross and Morris all back at the Club to provide the hard edge that Bevo refers to as a vital need.

Boyd and Cross have been away from the club long enough, time for them to return. Sensational role models and they both set exceptionally high standards for others to follow. Morris would have been great to have in that development role

Sadly, it might be a while before we could potentially look at something like this

azabob
24-08-2020, 04:49 PM
Buckle in boys and girls it is that time of year again where the coaching merry go around begins. Luckily this isn't an emotive topic...

Fox sports are reporting that Dean Solomon at the Suns (and a number of others) are being let go.

Solomon was interviewed for the Freo job last year and has completed the level four coaching course.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-afl-job-cuts-staff-losses-dean-solomon-covid19-coronavirus-updates-afl-house-gillon-mclachlan/news-story/158e08671142c31506169dd3f34b253a