PDA

View Full Version : Suns - Pick 1 & 2

bornadog
01-10-2019, 09:49 PM
The Suns have confirmed picks one and two are on the trade table if something "extraordinary" comes their way.

Would you do a deal and what would it be?

bulldogtragic
01-10-2019, 09:58 PM
Cripps, Bontempelli, Martin, Naughton, Grundy etc.

Unless it’s spectacular they shouldn’t trade them, despite what Mick Barlow says.

strebla
01-10-2019, 10:05 PM
Apparently Grundy has told the pies 7 year contract or no signature. Do you think the Suns would do it ???. I wouldn't 2 a grade mids who are best mates is their best play for mine.

Remi Moses
01-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Way too long for mine
5 years I would , but 7 is insane

comrade
01-10-2019, 10:21 PM
I wouldn’t give up Bont for 1 & 2. Naughton, I’d give it some thought.

strebla
01-10-2019, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't do either Comrade Bont is all about the fabric of our club and Naughton is the player we have been looking for sing Beaser. As good as the two mids will be it's not for me

MrMahatma
02-10-2019, 08:42 AM

No way.

Mofra
02-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Enjoy your ban

Bulldog4life
02-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Sorry comrade no to Naughton for me too. Still hasn't turned 20. We are so lucky to have him.

Topdog
02-10-2019, 06:20 PM
Cripps, Bontempelli, Martin, Naughton, Grundy etc.

Unless it’s spectacular they shouldn’t trade them, despite what Mick Barlow says.

None of those players went 1 or 2 :cool:

Go_Dogs
02-10-2019, 07:02 PM

Say it ain’t so?

I guess you’d think about it for 2 seconds, right?

comrade
02-10-2019, 08:21 PM
Say it ain’t so?

I guess you’d think about it for 2 seconds, right?

At least a minute...

Bumper Bulldogs
02-10-2019, 09:58 PM
Apparently Grundy has told the pies 7 year contract or no signature. Do you think the Suns would do it ???. I wouldn't 2 a grade mids who are best mates is their best play for mine.

I struggle to understand the issue with a 7 year contract. If you look at his number on impacting a game he is Top line. I would be happy to give anyone including Bont a 7 year deal but you would need to be savvy enough to add a clause that state they must play xxxx amount of games to earn the pay packet. I knee injury 2 weeks into a seven year deal would be quite a mine field to manage

1eyedog
03-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Think I'll keep Naughts thanks.

Twodogs
03-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Yep, I'd rather keep the known quality in Naughton than take some magic beans and try to draft players who are going to be as good as him.

A bird in the hand and all that.

Mofra
03-10-2019, 09:59 AM
I struggle to understand the issue with a 7 year contract. If you look at his number on impacting a game he is Top line. I would be happy to give anyone including Bont a 7 year deal but you would need to be savvy enough to add a clause that state they must play xxxx amount of games to earn the pay packet. I knee injury 2 weeks into a seven year deal would be quite a mine field to manage
Yeah weird one, why not make it 5 plus trigger clauses?
It's not like we're talking about a guy who will be 35 or 36 in the last year of his contract like Buddy, whose big contract years start next season.

AshMac
03-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Really interesting thread. Hard to call w the emotion attached. It’s a chance to setup a midfield for the 10 years w picks 1&2 this year. Something to consider.

Bont is a chance to win 6 brownlows though....so I don’t know.

Naughton could be a nick Riewoldt clone without the naked photos.

so many “could be’s”

bornadog
03-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Really interesting thread. Hard to call w the emotion attached. It’s a chance to setup a midfield for the 10 years w picks 1&2 this year. Something to consider.

Bont is a chance to win 6 brownlows though....so I don’t know.

Naughton could be a nick Riewoldt clone without the naked photos.

so many “could be’s”

Would you look at Macrae?

ReLoad
03-10-2019, 03:55 PM

If we were outside a theoretical shot at a flag, then yes, for sure.

But picks 1&2 will take 4 years before they are at his level. Given our list profile we’re already young enough.

Compelling argument though for sure.

MrMahatma
03-10-2019, 09:07 PM
If we were outside a theoretical shot at a flag, then yes, for sure.

But picks 1&2 will take 4 years before they are at his level. Given our list profile we’re already young enough.

Compelling argument though for sure.

They may not ever get to Macrae’s level. Not many do.

AshMac
04-10-2019, 09:05 AM

Much more tempting. He is a ball magnet but I’m not convinced he is the most damaging player to an opposition team - certainly not as impactful as Bont.

Based on potential - I’d say yes, based on current state and our list demographic I’d say no - so I’d lean toward no given what we showed end of last year.

Good option, though doubt GCS would go for 1&2 for Jacko.

The bulldog tragician
04-10-2019, 04:39 PM
The actual performances of high draft picks over time isn’t strong enough for me to ever consider trading them for players whose quality and worth we know.

Jack Macrae is quite possibly our hardest working player, has always been determined to continually strive to improve his game and is a quality person. His finals series in 2016 was as important across the four matches as anyone’s - including the fact of how hard he worked to get there. He kicked the goal that banished that hoodoo, under unimaginable pressure - are we sure that any other player in that side would have nailed it? I know it’s just a bit of idle speculation in this silly season, but we talk about others underrating our players yet our own fans do too sometimes. Call me sentimental, but if Jack was ever offered up as trade bait a part of my love for the club would die forever.

Rocket Science
04-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Even hypothetical chat about whether Jacko's tradeable gives me the shits.

He's the very definition of a fabric player, a model citizen that drives internal stanbdards, and a dead set, rolled-gold gun of the competition.

You may as well trade Woofa, PG and the statue of EJ while you're at it.

Rocco Jones
04-10-2019, 05:02 PM

He's the very definition of a fabric player, a model citizen that drives internal stanbdards, and a dead set, rolled-gold gun of the competition.

I'm with you.

There's a logic in being sentimental and emotional. If you traded a guy like Macrae, whatever the return, it would damage the club. How could you expect any loyalty back from the players?

I find it wryly ironic that fans have these chats but then aghast when a player decides to leave the club for more money.

Mofra
04-10-2019, 05:03 PM
I still remember the talk pre-draft of trying to trade up from pick 4 to pick 1 to get Tom Boyd. That kid we picked up with pick 4 goes ok.

strebla
04-10-2019, 05:50 PM
I still spew about losing Monty and Cameron foe Eagleton (although he was very very good for us). To trade a player a Macrea's standing and ability is akin to shooting yourself in the foot

bornadog
04-10-2019, 05:58 PM

I'm with you.

There's a logic in being sentimental and emotional. If you traded a guy like Macrae, whatever the return, it would damage the club. How could you expect any loyalty back from the players?

I find it wryly ironic that fans have these chats but then aghast when a player decides to leave the club for more money.

Totally agree.

Overall, I can't see any player (worthy of pick 1, 2) on our list I would trade. I think we have the nucleus of a great group that will or should, play finals for a few years.

Happy Days
04-10-2019, 06:30 PM
I still remember the talk pre-draft of trying to trade up from pick 4 to pick 1 to get Tom Boyd. That kid we picked up with pick 4 goes ok.

I still remember the pre-draft talk saying we should trade pick 4 for Nick Smith. What a time.

GVGjr
04-10-2019, 06:50 PM
I still spew about losing Monty and Cameron foe Eagleton (although he was very very good for us). To trade a player a Macrea's standing and ability is akin to shooting yourself in the foot

I'm pretty sure it was Stephen Powell not Leon

AshMac
04-10-2019, 07:06 PM
LOVE the passion in here for our players!
Even a hypothetical conversation boils the blood.

Twodogs
04-10-2019, 07:14 PM

I think that we got the picks that we picked Gia and Mich Hahn with. Or Hargrave and Mich Hahn that we got for Leon Cameron.

GVGjr
04-10-2019, 07:22 PM

Everything you say about Macrae is correct and I can't imagine a scenario where we would even consider a trade
Will that always be the case? I'm not so sure because who knows where and when the next Josh Bruce scenario occurs where a club like ours may not be able to commit to a contract length one of the star players is demanding

I do not like the way the competition is trying to make an almost express way for any player out of contract or wants to head home because he is homesick to be traded as eventually loyalty to the likes of Macrae and Bontempelli will be tested

The next 5 years will be a big test for clubs like our to maintain the players we have grown to love

mjp
04-10-2019, 08:28 PM
The next 5 years will be a big test for clubs like our to maintain the players we have grown to love

Not if we are winning. If we are winning and a GENUINE chance of a flag, the top end players will stay...the only ones who will leave will be our equivalent of Ellis at the Tiges - on a salary that kinda/sorta has out-paced his value and due for a new deal where a 'realignment' is needed...

Bont and Macrae? If they are playing deep into September and being looked after financially, why would they leave? If we look after the winning bit by being smart during the trade period, smart-lucky at the draft, focus on player development, continue to invest in our facilities (every player loves to see shiny new toys in the medical room/weight room)....again, WHY would they leave?

I honestly don't understand how another club could pay Bont more than we could as he is simply worth more to our club than any other...and a lot of his personal brand is based on character/loyalty/honesty etc...a change of club would strip that away...

strebla
05-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Yes I think your right but did we trade Leon in the same year ??

GVGjr
05-10-2019, 12:51 PM

I think so

Twodogs
07-10-2019, 01:15 PM

I think so

There is the Eagleton/Monty trade in detail. I think that the pick 28 went on Troy Chaplin

Nathan Eagleton Port Adelaide Western Bulldogs Brett Montgomery and draft pick #28

The Cameron trade;

Leon Cameron Western Bulldogs Richmond draft picks #37 and #66

Pick 37 was Gia and pick 66 went on Hargrave. We did stunningly well!

strebla
07-10-2019, 02:21 PM
There is the Eagleton/Monty trade in detail. I think that the pick 28 went on Troy Chaplin

Nathan Eagleton Port Adelaide Western Bulldogs Brett Montgomery and draft pick #28

The Cameron trade;

Leon Cameron Western Bulldogs Richmond draft picks #37 and #66

Pick 37 was Gia and pick 66 went on Hargrave. We did stunningly well!
Yes we really did really hated watching them both leave but reading that helps me a little .