PDA

View Full Version : Will Marcus Bontempelli eclipse Scott West’s Record if 7 B&Fs?

bulldogtragic
03-10-2019, 11:47 AM
He’s got 9-10 seasons to get five more to get to 8 B&Fs.

But if Bailey Smith & Naughton get going, plus Macrae & Dunkley polling well, it’s not guaranteed.

Topdog
03-10-2019, 12:33 PM
I think he will get another 7 B&Fs. He is just loved by the coaches , well actually he is just loved by everyone that isnt GWS

Mofra
03-10-2019, 01:41 PM
He doesn't just win the ball, he takes risky options and often pulls them off. He has to be a chance, surely.
According to AFL coaches he's the most impactful player in the game.

Bulldog Joe
03-10-2019, 03:33 PM
He doesn't just win the ball, he takes risky options and often pulls them off. He has to be a chance, surely.
According to AFL coaches he's the most impactful player in the game.

This will also be his biggest challenge.

Coaches of other teams are going to spend enormous amounts of time and resources on ways to negate him.

This is where he will need help from others to counter the physical challenges to come.

bornadog
03-10-2019, 04:46 PM
V/@AFL - players with 3 B&Fs before turning 24

Dick Reynolds
Des Fothergill
Ron Clegg
John Kennedy
Kevin Murray
Bob Skilton
John Murphy
Leigh Matthews
Glen Jakovich
James Hird
Scott West
Nick Riewoldt
MARCUS BONTEMPELLI

WBFC4FFC
03-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Where was Bont in the count at the half-way mark? Surely Daniel was ahead before his second-half of the year was cruelled by injuries!

bornadog
03-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Where was Bont in the count at the half-way mark? Surely Daniel was ahead before his second-half of the year was cruelled by injuries!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EF3YYBAXoAAoK_w?format=jpg&name=medium

strebla
03-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Maybe the only chink is his goal kicking beside that I can't see anyone getting close to him for next few years .

GVGjr
03-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Maybe the only chink is his goal kicking beside that I can't see anyone getting close to him for next few years .

It's definitely an issue but most star players have a fault of two

1eyedog
03-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Can't believe Crozier didn't make the top 6. Barring injury Bont could win them all. He's our best player since Templeton.

strebla
03-10-2019, 09:53 PM
That's true but it's the only real fault in his game except maybe dealing with a dirty tag .

bornadog
03-10-2019, 11:33 PM
Can't believe Crozier didn't make the top 6. Barring injury Bont could win them all. He's our best player since Templeton.

You didn't rate Chris Grant.?

macca
03-10-2019, 11:35 PM
That's true but it's the only real fault in his game except maybe dealing with a dirty tag .
Our players need to block for him and be prepared to ahem.... legally hip and shoulder any physical types. A bit like daniel chick and brad Sewell types

S Coast Simon
04-10-2019, 07:40 AM
Could definitely catch West if he gets some protection from our boys and a little help from the umps as well would help. He does things that others just can’t it’s as simple as that. The way he glides through packs, picks up the ball and distribute’s it into space is simply beautiful to watch. I think our mate Dunkley might just turn out to be the guy who hurts people just attacking the ball. Much like Max Rooke from Geelong. He was scary when in the area.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Matthew Lloyd is writing a direct yes to this question, in fact writing that Bontempelli is likely to be our greatest player ever.
Personally I am not calling it yet. Macrae, Dunkley, Naughton and others in this young team are capable of winning too. Bont is on track but injuries, other teams' tactics and other factors may come into it.
Plus weight of expectation is a thing too and is what has impacted his goal kicking and did so with Chris Grant's goal kicking.

jeemak
04-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Not enough people did.

Most underrated player to ever play the game. While people were completely fixated on Carey, Hird and Buckley, Chris Grant was doing things nobody of his size and positions could both sides of the body at pace, influencing games like a midfielder would.

bornadog
04-10-2019, 02:35 PM
Not enough people did.

Most underrated player to ever play the game. While people were completely fixated on Carey, Hird and Buckley, Chris Grant was doing things nobody of his size and positions could both sides of the body at pace, influencing games like a midfielder would.

I can honestly (IMHO) say he is in the top three ever from the Dogs

Ozza
04-10-2019, 03:01 PM
It is hard to compare them, as I didn't see EJ play, but for me the Bont only needs to maintain his current level for the remainder of his career to be the best since EJ. If he improves, which most of us would have faith he will, then it might be a discussion of 'best ever bulldog?'.

jeemak
04-10-2019, 04:08 PM
If he leads us to a couple of flags as captain then he's going to eclipse pretty much everyone the club has had through the doors.

strebla
04-10-2019, 05:45 PM
It's still Chris Grant for my money but gee whizz I love the Bont .

AshMac
04-10-2019, 07:10 PM
Listening to his acceptance speech you have to pinch yourself to remember he is 23. What an outstanding human being.

1eyedog
05-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Sure but KTs 78-80 seasons were the best I've ever seen live. BAD you remember those years every time the ball came in high to our forward line the crowd came alive like no other player I can remember except Ablett Snr. KT was god-like.

Bulldog4life
05-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Sure but KTs 78-80 seasons were the best I've ever seen live. BAD you remember those years every time the ball came in high to our forward line the crowd came alive like no other player I can remember except Ablett Snr. KT was god-like.

If KT was god like EJ was God. I know a lot on WOOF didn't get to see the great man but you don't get the moniker "Mr. Football" easily. I was lucky enough to see Ted and he was the best I've seen by a long way.

strebla
05-10-2019, 07:27 PM
If KT was god like EJ was God. I know a lot on WOOF didn't get to see the great man but you don't get the moniker "Mr. Football" easily. I was lucky enough to see Ted and he was the best I've seen by a long way.
The Best by a long way we have had some excellent players wish I had the pleasure your a very lucky man B4L

1eyedog
06-10-2019, 06:58 AM

Ranked in the top 5 to have ever played in most polls.

S Coast Simon
06-10-2019, 08:58 AM
Not enough people did.

i could never understand why all we would here is how good Carey , Hird, Buckley and Jackovich where, when Grant would regularly beat them. He was an absolute gun at both ends. No one his size had such depth touch on both feet. He was a very skilful big man.

The Bont is something special though. Will win a Brownlow or two in our time. 23 years old doing what he does. One of the boys summed it up in a interview I can’t remember who said it. Think it was Daniel. That Bont has made this his team. I think it is time to do just that and make him the captain. Win win all round. The Bont elevates to another level we haven’t seen and Wood frees up to dominate the air once again. Boak is the perfect example of how being free from the captaincy has elevated his game back to where he belongs.

Bulldog4life
06-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Ranked in the top 5 to have ever played in most polls.

I can only go on the players I have seen play. No doubt there were champions before Ted too. But Ted was better than Matthews and Carey in my humble opinion. Probably a bit bias too to be honest. You can't help be. KT was a great player no doubt. Seen him kick a lot of his goals. Followed his career from the reserves when he was kicking bags.

Happy Days
06-10-2019, 10:26 AM

Aaron Naughton did it for an hour against the Tigers and its the most fun I've had at the footy (finals excluded). I can only dream about what watching KT was like.

bornadog
06-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Aaron Naughton did it for an hour against the Tigers and its the most fun I've had at the footy (finals excluded). I can only dream about what watching KT was like.

The day KT kicked 15.9, is one of the best days of my football life (outside finals), that is closely followed by the Naughton Show smashing Tigers by 47 points ( and don't tell me they were undermanned, as I checked they only had Riewoldt and Cotchin as significant outs). The Essendon drubbing also one of the best days ever.