PDA

View Full Version : West Coast

mjp
09-10-2019, 06:09 PM
West Coast 100% $hit me but they are a well run club.

To get the Kelly deal done in a couple of days? That's good going. It looks and sounds like they had a very clear idea of what he was worth, they made an offer and quickly worked through negotiations (including bringing a 3rd club into the negotiations).

I am annoyed by them and their very selfish actions over here at least once each week during the season. They treat the talent pathway and state league as their personal play ground, use and abuse the rules to their own advantage and give no quarter.

If I was Kelly I would have nominated West Coast as well - you would have confidence that they would 'get it done' and confidence that if they promised something during negotiations, they would deliver it.

What other clubs are in this category? I feel like there is nothing but empty posturing from every other club...and we can blame the journos I guess, but stories like the Mason Cox one 100% come from 'somewhere'...where do you hear those sort of stories about the Eagles?

I am annoyed by all of this btw.

1eyedog
09-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Good on them. They heard Geelong's early demand of two first rounders and a bit more and said to Kelly we're not going to dick you around we'll pay it and we'll make it happen early. Decisive trading. Kelly is worth it though and they know it.

Different geography to you so the same doesn't apply but I would much rather West Coast win the flag than any other Victorian club (aside from us of course).

bornadog
09-10-2019, 06:47 PM
To get the Kelly deal done in a couple of days?

I heard Kelly's manager today and he said they have been working on the deal for a few weeks. As soon as Kelly made up his mind, they started. He has managed Kelly since he was a teenager.

He also said Kelly grew up a West Coast fan and his favourite player was Judd.

1eyedog
09-10-2019, 06:48 PM
I heard Kelly's manager today and he said they have been working on the deal for a few weeks. As soon as Kelly made up his mind, they started. He has managed Kelly since he was a teenager.

He also said Kelly grew up a West Coast fan and his favourite player was Judd.

Well they have had all year to sort it.

AshMac
10-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Surely last years pick 20 and 21 were better options than this years 14 and 23... even with next years first rounder rolled in - they’d have 2 extra gun young players w 2 preseasons under their belt.

mjp
10-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Well they have had all year to sort it.

I think this is simplistic.

99% of trades are done when the clubs have had weeks/months to work it out. It isn't like they dont know how players are valued. But 99% of trades get held up/caught up in red tape, negotiation and dishonesty.

Does anyone really get 'done over' any more? People will argue the Weller trade (Gold Coast) but to me a young, skilled player who WANTED to be there was worth pretty much any price...it just so happens that Weller was worth a hell of a lot more to GC than he was to Freo. Then again, how exactly has that worked out for Freo?

I guess I just have a grudging admiration for the way they did this. Everyone KNEW he was going to get to West Coast because they are West Coast. Did they give up a lot? Sure. But have a look back at the most recent pick 14 and 24's...unless Geelong pick the next Tim Kelly (the only pick 14 or 24 over the last 4 years who is worth more than a pinch of ...) then West Coast have paid a fair price. And the Cats (to their credit) have done a fair deal.

1eyedog
10-10-2019, 12:37 PM
You're right it is simplistic but as you know it's the player managers to keep in contact with list managers all the time. I think, hearing what I did on the periphery, West Coast were going to cough up two first rounders and a bit more for for him and, given the ease with which this trade went through, they told Geelong early that this was going to be the case so let's get it done. But I hear you, trade discussion between two clubs, or more specifically a verbal agreement between two list managers leading up to the trade period, is still a long way short of a signed contract.

azabob
24-06-2023, 12:02 PM
Gee whiz they are an interesting case study -premiership in 2018; now a basket case for a couple of years. Reports suggest they didn’t handle the 2020 hub at all.

I wonder what they will do.

Does Simpson stay or go? He seems very reluctant to trade out or retire his aging superstars. Do posters think he is similar to Bevo, loyal to a fault?

Clearly they have a huge age profile gap due to the fact of going all in after their GF win.

The Kelly trade now looks ok, but he has no support onfield either due to form or injury of their other stars.

This trade obviously sacrificed a couple of draft years which is now hurting them. Ginbey looks a real talent - mjp what are your thoughts on him?

If you were in their shoes would you split pick one or take the best kid?

Would you throw the farm at Naughton or English or someone else like Logan McDonald from Sydney.

For our WA posters are West Coast still arrogant AF? Are the local media turning on them ? Are their supporters calling for change?

Mofra
24-06-2023, 12:16 PM
They went all in for a flag, and got it. Good on them for it.

Now they have players on the tail end of deals and it just crushes you for a year - NicNat, McGovern, Gaff, Shuey and Yeo all on big coin and not contributing anywhere near their contract price.

bulldogtragic
24-06-2023, 12:26 PM
I don’t understand them going all in on Naughton. Seems the exact opposite move they need right now. I like the hypothetical scenarios that throws up for discussion, but they need to rebuild and going after expensive contracted high value trades seems not something I’d like as a supporter of theirs. Especially the loose rumours of Pick 1 somehow involved. Surely it’s all baseless rumour as surely they just need to slowly rebuild.

bornadog
24-06-2023, 01:21 PM
They should do a North Melbourne and trade pick 1 for two later first rounders and draft as many kids as they can. They need to slowly retire the older players out, as you can't get rid of too many at once.

jeemak
24-06-2023, 03:11 PM
What's the top end WA based draft year talent like at the moment? If you could split the first and get a couple of home grown highly rated guns that protects them from any perceived go home factor whilst they're ordinary.

azabob
24-06-2023, 08:02 PM
Wow. Swans have kicked 18 goals on the trot. Currently 155 points down.

EasternWest
24-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Wow. Swans have kicked 18 goals on the trot. Currently 155 points down.

Just checked the scores.

babywalkingingetsscaredwalksout.gif

azabob
24-06-2023, 08:16 PM
Just checked the scores.

babywalkingingetsscaredwalksout.gif

Swans have now kicked over 200 points.

bulldogtragic
24-06-2023, 08:33 PM
I guess their board has to ‘do something’. This is getting really serious.

EasternWest
24-06-2023, 08:33 PM
Swans have now kicked over 200 points.

I am not looking forward to playing them on August 20

bulldogtragic
24-06-2023, 08:39 PM

Took the words right outta my mouth.

GVGjr
24-06-2023, 08:47 PM
The strongest club in the AFL in terms of financials etc is really struggling to put a competitive team on the park.

Hard to know if they should just stick with it until the end of the season or make a coaching change but it's probably not going to make much difference.

Daughter of the West
24-06-2023, 08:53 PM

Same, and that's legit my birthday just to rub some salt to the wound :( :( :(

EasternWest
24-06-2023, 09:36 PM

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Same, and that's legit my birthday just to rub some salt to the wound :( :( :(

Now I can't tell if you guys have missed the joke or are in on the joke or if it's just not a good joke.

The strongest club in the AFL in terms of financials etc is really struggling to put a competitive team on the park.

Hard to know if they should just stick with it until the end of the season or make a coaching change but it's probably not going to make much difference.

Fold em up and send them to Tassie.

Daughter of the West
24-06-2023, 11:19 PM
Now I can't tell if you guys have missed the joke or are in on the joke or if it's just not a good joke.

You know where you do that thing where you think you're almost finished an assignment and going to bed at a reasonable hour and then all of a sudden Powerpoint f**ks you over and you spend an ungodly amount of hours trying to fix the problem you never knew you had and then get to bed in the AMs and then a 7 year old lands on you before 6am and your ability to comprehend information the next day is somewhat impaired? Currently suffering from that. [slaps forehead]

1eyedog
24-06-2023, 11:25 PM
I don?t understand them going all in on Naughton. Seems the exact opposite move they need right now. I like the hypothetical scenarios that throws up for discussion, but they need to rebuild and going after expensive contracted high value trades seems not something I?d like as a supporter of theirs. Especially the loose rumours of Pick 1 somehow involved. Surely it?s all baseless rumour as surely they just need to slowly rebuild.

Shhhhhhh

EasternWest
24-06-2023, 11:42 PM
You know where you do that thing where you think you're almost finished an assignment and going to bed at a reasonable hour and then all of a sudden Powerpoint f**ks you over and you spend an ungodly amount of hours trying to fix the problem you never knew you had and then get to bed in the AMs and then a 7 year old lands on you before 6am and your ability to comprehend information the next day is somewhat impaired? Currently suffering from that. [slaps forehead]

Ha ha. I love how you didn't tell me which one it was and now I'll be awake all night thinking about it and the longer I do the shittier the joke will seem in my mind.

Mofra
25-06-2023, 01:45 PM
The big mark against them is that their 'best' mids played yesterday.
Yeo, Shouey, Kelly & Duggan were all part of that team yesterday. Kelly is absolutely trying his heart out.

Sedat
25-06-2023, 04:52 PM
The big mark against them is that their 'best' mids played yesterday.
Yeo, Shouey, Kelly & Duggan were all part of that team yesterday. Kelly is absolutely trying his heart out.
And Gaff. What a bust that contract has been.

bornadog
25-06-2023, 10:20 PM
Adam has full backing of the board:D

Chair's message from Paul FitzpatrickBy Paul Fitzpatrick - 4 hrs ago

Yesterday?s defeat at the Sydney Cricket Ground was one of the darkest days in the history of the football club.

Losing in the way that we did to Sydney was unacceptable. The 171-point margin aside, what we produced on the field was not representative of what the West Coast Eagles has stood ? and still stands ? for.

We know our members and fans are hurting and so is everyone inside the football club. We all take a degree of responsibility for where we sit currently and equally we are all committed to fighting our way through this situation.

It is important to get games into young players and fast track their development. We had nine players under the age of 21 take the field against the Swans and we expect them to be very good AFL players.

But we need our senior players to set a better example for them. With a couple of exceptions many of the experienced players were well down yesterday.

Obviously Adam Simpson and his coaching staff have been limited with what they can do with such a long injury list, but regardless we cannot tolerate performances of that nature and we expect a strong response against St Kilda next Sunday.

We do have faith that Adam can take this team forward and we also believe in the path we need to take to fight our way back.

It will take time because the long-term strategy revolves around bringing in more high-end young talent through the draft to lay solid foundations for the next era.

In closing, we do hear you and we urge you to stick with us through this. We need you more than ever. It will turn because everyone at the club is prepared to roll up their sleeves and get it done.

We can do it together.

EasternWest
25-06-2023, 10:21 PM
Et tu brute

bulldogtragic
25-06-2023, 10:26 PM
Reckon Adam feels better or worse for that public statement?

bornadog
25-06-2023, 10:29 PM
Reckon Adam feels better or worse for that public statement?

How long before he is gone

bulldogtragic
25-06-2023, 10:31 PM

The week before we play them…

mjp
25-06-2023, 11:07 PM

His is an old style contract and they will need to reach a settlement. All the scuttlebutt here is it is 2x years at AUD$1,000,000 per year + an exit payout and that will decimate their soft-cap...is it true? I have no idea but it's 'the word'.

I'm not as close to WC as I have been - changed WAFL clubs - but the talk has been very consistent on this point...Unless he resigns or agrees to a modified settlement then he will stay.

EasternWest
25-06-2023, 11:48 PM
agrees to a modified settlement then he will stay.

Surely this is the most likely scenario.

GVGjr
25-06-2023, 11:53 PM

His is an old style contract and they will need to reach a settlement. All the scuttlebutt here is it is 2x years at AUD$1,000,000 per year + an exit payout and that will decimate their soft-cap...is it true? I have no idea but it's 'the word'.

I'm not as close to WC as I have been - changed WAFL clubs - but the talk has been very consistent on this point...Unless he resigns or agrees to a modified settlement then he will stay.

That's what has been confirmed here as well. They can payout the 2M because they have the money to do so but they can't lose that from the soft cap. They're in a very different position to the way the Saints could pay out Ratten.

Something will give and I suspect they'll find a compromise.

Scraggers
26-06-2023, 03:33 AM
Coming back to the original post ... in a two-team town, West Coast do it so much better than Freo (well, from an education perspective). West Coast Eagles ensure they get to virtually every Metro (and some country) primary school once a year. They do presentations, shows, giveaways, training sessions, sponsor a footy competition you name it. The mascot is at every show and the kids lap it up.
Fremantle, on the other hand, do very little in the way of promotion. They give a trophy to the Freo cup winners and provide a coordinator to run it. Rarely, they'll do a school visit and you have to fill the mascot costume yourself, bottom line ... they are not into attracting potential members. I have tried many-a-time to get the Dockers to come to one of my schools (two of which were in the heart of Freo) to no avail. The Eagles were there the next week.

Scraggers
26-06-2023, 03:35 AM
And by the way ... I am loving the current Eagles form and win-loss record. It's like all the Chardonay sippers have gone into hibernation. :D

azabob
26-06-2023, 09:00 AM
Are the WA press still giving West Coast a free pass?

GVGjr
26-06-2023, 10:11 AM
I know he is a professional, and a bloody well paid one, but it can't be enjoyable fronting up to the club each day knowing you don't have the levers to pull to help get the club competitive again. On top of that the media pressure would be intense.

ReLoad
26-06-2023, 10:17 AM
I know he is a professional, and a bloody well paid one, but it can't be enjoyable fronting up to the club each day knowing you don't have the levers to pull to help get the club competitive again. On top of that the media pressure would be intense.

Personally i love it in a work situation when its backs against the wall, makes the turn around much sweeter, and a great sense of achievement.

Lets be honest, its the WCE, they will inevitably turn it around and be a powerhouse again.

All depends on Adam personally if he has the energy and passion.

azabob
26-06-2023, 10:27 AM
Personally i love it in a work situation when its backs against the wall, makes the turn around much sweeter, and a great sense of achievement.

Lets be honest, its the WCE, they will inevitably turn it around and be a powerhouse again.

All depends on Adam personally if he has the energy and passion.

This is such a public role though, would definitely be externally taxing on Adam and his family.

Sedat
26-06-2023, 12:16 PM
Who in their right mind would walk away from $1 million a year for a further 2 years (if his family are happy)? West Coke know they screwed up the list build post flag - can't blame them for going all chips in on another flag when they had Nic Nat, Sheppard and Gaff all out of their 2018 premiership team. In theory they should have been even better in 2019-2021, but unfortunately for them COVID and injuries/form issues with their senior core burned them badly. They also burned themselves with some terrible (in hindsight) list management decisions (long term big $$ contracts on perennially injured stars, getting Tim Kelly at maximum draft pick and $$ cost, topping up with questionable types like SPS, crap drafting).

If Simpson gets sacked now/end of the season, they are screwed with the soft cap until 2025 and it wont help them in the slightest on-field in any event. They need to urgently fix up list management, recruiting and fitness & conditioning first.

When push comes to shove, I thank them from the bottom of my heart for inflicting pain and heartache on the filth in 2018.

Grantysghost
26-06-2023, 12:55 PM
Who in their right mind would walk away from $1 million a year for a further 2 years (if his family are happy)? West Coke know they screwed up the list build post flag - can't blame them for going all chips in on another flag when they had Nic Nat, Sheppard and Gaff all out of their 2018 premiership team. In theory they should have been even better in 2019-2021, but unfortunately for them COVID and injuries/form issues with their senior core burned them badly. They also burned themselves with some terrible (in hindsight) list management decisions (long term big $$ contracts on perennially injured stars, getting Tim Kelly at maximum draft pick and $$ cost, topping up with questionable types like SPS, crap drafting).

If Simpson gets sacked now/end of the season, they are screwed with the soft cap until 2025 and it wont help them in the slightest on-field in any event. They need to urgently fix up list management, recruiting and fitness & conditioning first.

When push comes to shove, I thank them from the bottom of my heart for inflicting pain and heartache on the filth in 2018.

Toyd.

bulldogtragic
26-06-2023, 01:00 PM
Toyd.

And he handed over a million back!

GVGjr
26-06-2023, 05:15 PM

There are a few factors to this:
He's been a big money earner for a long time so money, despite it being considerable, might not be an overwhelming consideration.
If he leaves now there are very plausible reasons why they've bottomed out so he would still be employable with other clubs.
Two years must be a daunting time to go to work if you aren't enjoying it especially for a results orientated career coach.

I suspect there will a reasonable pay out come the end of the season and from some reports the soft cap might be increased again for next season.

Sedat
26-06-2023, 05:23 PM
I suspect there will a reasonable pay out come the end of the season and from some reports the soft cap might be increased again for next season.
This changes the equation somewhat, but only if Simpson is amenable to the idea and is happy to take a pretty big haircut. It's still a massive hit to the soft cap, which impacts their ability to rectify the very immediate areas that need urgent help the most (recruiting, list management, fitness/conditioning).

He may well be done by the end of 2025 as a senior coach and be happy to hand the reins over to the next coach once the rebuild has begun in full swing. I'm sure the powers that be at WC know where they stand (although not 171 points, which does have strong coach killer vibes).

Scraggers
26-06-2023, 07:51 PM
Are the WA press still giving West Coast a free pass?

Yes ... pretty much. There's been a number of ex-WCE "legends" (medias term, not mine) come out and call for sacking and a clean out of Admin etc, but the media continually follow it up with the 2025 contract at $1M a year and the soft-cap palaver.

The only newspaper over here is the West Australian ... commonly referred to as the WestCoast Australian. They never write anything negative about the Eagles, but if the Dockers put one foot out of place ... look out.

Scraggers
26-06-2023, 07:52 PM
Yes ... pretty much. There's been a number of ex-WCE "legends" (medias term, not mine) come out and call for sacking and a clean out of Admin etc, but the media continually follow it up with the 2025 contract at $1M a year and the soft-cap palaver.

The only newspaper over here is the West Australian ... commonly referred to as the WestCoast Australian. They never write anything negative about the Eagles, but if the Dockers put one foot out of place ... look out.

Perfect example ... https://www.perthnow.com.au/opinion/rachel-fenner-west-coast-supporters-need-to-get-some-perspective-and-calm-down-after-numerous-losses-c-11094588

Mofra
26-06-2023, 08:32 PM
There are a few factors to this:
He's been a big money earner for a long time so money, despite it being considerable, might not be an overwhelming consideration.
If he leaves now there are very plausible reasons why they've bottomed out so he would still be employable with other clubs.
Two years must be a daunting time to go to work if you aren't enjoying it especially for a results orientated career coach.

He may also feel a sense of duty to stick with his players. Money isn't the only reason to coach

jeemak
26-06-2023, 09:14 PM
He may also feel a sense of duty to stick with his players. Money isn't the only reason to coach

Yeah but money buys you that second house which is the ultimate goal of any self respecting AFL citizen.

Dry Rot
26-06-2023, 10:45 PM
This is a good article

Misery mounts for West Coast after horror 171-point defeat by Sydney

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/jun/26/misery-mounts-for-west-coast-after-horror-20-goal-defeat-by-sydney

Topdog
27-06-2023, 07:45 AM

The times, they are a changin.

https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/1673310365269245954?s=20

Scraggers
27-06-2023, 03:50 PM
The times, they are a changin.

https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/1673310365269245954?s=20

I voted ... not sure it will count :cool:

mjp
01-07-2023, 07:29 PM
If you're curious about how things are going at West Coast - REALLY - check the WAFL scores from today.

https://wafl.com.au/match/league-east-fremantle-v-west-coast-round-12-2023

bornadog
01-07-2023, 07:32 PM
If you're curious about how things are going at West Coast - REALLY - check the WAFL scores from today.

Wow they are really stuffed

GVGjr
01-07-2023, 07:44 PM

Chants and media speculation focusing about sacking the coach is put into a more realistic perspective. That isn't his fault

EasternWest
01-07-2023, 08:08 PM

Oh my.

jeemak
01-07-2023, 08:55 PM
Well you want your reserves to play like your seniors........

bornadog
29-08-2023, 12:12 AM
West Coast Board has agreed for Adam Simpson to coach in 2024.

mjp
29-08-2023, 03:07 PM
West Coast Board has agreed for Adam Simpson to coach in 2024.

Get the pop-corn.

EasternWest
29-08-2023, 04:14 PM
Get the pop-corn.

No no, he has the full support of the board.

mjp
29-08-2023, 10:28 PM
No no, he has the full support of the board.

Well, knowing the Eagles board they've probably all been investing in pop-corn in preparation for the expected rise in sales.

West Coast members cheering Simpson every time he appeared on the big screen in the last home game is the most bat-shit crazy thing I have ever seen. The majority of them support the club re-affirming his position and believe "no-one could have done any better" and the plight of the club was 100% dictated by the injuries. They will tell you that in several games this year they had to name players as emergency who were unfit to play - the AFL mandated they MUST name emergencies and they simply had no fit players available.

I actually don't get it. This club was ruthless and once sacked a coach who MADE THE FINALS in his only year in charge...now? All they care about is dollar signs.

Twodogs
29-08-2023, 11:49 PM

At least they won the hit outs.

Jasper
30-08-2023, 07:58 AM
Well, knowing the Eagles board they've probably all been investing in pop-corn in preparation for the expected rise in sales.

West Coast members cheering Simpson every time he appeared on the big screen in the last home game is the most bat-shit crazy thing I have ever seen. The majority of them support the club re-affirming his position and believe "no-one could have done any better" and the plight of the club was 100% dictated by the injuries. They will tell you that in several games this year they had to name players as emergency who were unfit to play - the AFL mandated they MUST name emergencies and they simply had no fit players available.

I actually don't get it. This club was ruthless and once sacked a coach who MADE THE FINALS in his only year in charge...now? All they care about is dollar signs.

Every club must have them.

ledge
30-08-2023, 09:33 AM
Is it a Thompson/Hardwick moment where they keep him and have a dynasty ?

GVGjr
23-01-2024, 10:40 AM
West Coast to search far and wide for next list boss (https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/west-coast/analysis-west-coast-to-search-far-and-wide-for-next-list-boss-in-what-shapes-as-most-important-offseason-appointment/news-story/4d38fd3b92ed7c617e2c781c9e4c230b)

Arguably the most important role at West Coast is the one the Eagles are still yet to fill.

The Eagles have cast the net far and wide in search of their next list manager to replace long-time servant Rohan O’Brien in an off-season defined by change. Indeed, a club that has been criticised in recent seasons for confusing stability with stagnation has spent the past few months transforming at warp speed.

Chief executive Don Pyke was the Eagles’ first key appointment, starting his new role last week. West Coast has also endured significant change to its playing list, losing Nic Naitanui, Luke Shuey and Shannon Hurn to retirement.

The Eagles voted in new co-captains before Christmas, Oscar Allen and Liam Duggan, and also welcomed two new faces to its strength and conditioning department, adding Collingwood strength and conditioning coach Paul Turk and former Western Bulldogs high performance coach Matt Inness.

Still, despite those changes, West Coast’s most crucial portfolio remains unoccupied.

O’Brien, whose tenure at the Eagles spanned 33 years, stepped down in December after overseeing West Coast’s trade period and draft.

He was the club’s third list manager since 2019 – Brady Rawlings left the role to head back to his former club North Melbourne and Darren Glass left mid-pandemic a year later to pursue business interests outside of football.

The lack of consistency is part of the reason why West Coast was caught napping and left with a bottom four list.

The Eagles’ list is at a critical juncture. Finally, after two gruelling years, they have managed to introduce some high-end talent, notably No. 1 pick Harley Reid a year after adding first round selections Reuben Ginbey and Elijah Hewett.

Yet West Coast still only has four top 10 picks on its list heading into 2024, the equal-lowest total in the competition. The Eagles have also sought to address a dearth of players in their mid-20s to drive the club’s rebuild, with spearhead Allen the main one putting his hand up in that age group to bridge the gap between veterans and draftees.

It’s no longer a list in freefall.

But it still needs significant work.

Realistically, West Coast’s list is at least another draft and some shrewd list management away from premiership contention again, which further emphasises the need for someone with a defined vision.

While the club’s decision to advertise the position on Seek may raise some eyebrows, in reality, it’s the sign of an organisation that wants to spread the widest possible net to attract the best possible candidate.

That said, as is often the case with such moves, the Eagles probably already have a fair idea of what their shortlist might look like and GWS recruiting boss Adrian Caruso, Richmond recruiting manager Matthew Clark and Adelaide list consultant Binuk Kodituwakku have already been linked to the club.

Two names that won’t be on it, though, are Simon Dalrymple and Matt Rosa.

Lauded for what he was able to achieve as football operations boss at Peel Thunder, Rosa was recruited by Essendon as the club’s next AFL talent and operations manager, replacing long-time Bombers recruiter Adrian Dodoro. And Dalrymple, previously Sydney’s national recruiting manager Dalrymple, headed to St Kilda in late December.

West Coast had conversations with Dalrymple throughout 2023 about the prospect of joining the Eagles, however the club didn’t have a firm role to offer him at that point given that O’Brien only made his decision in December.

One of the architects behind the Western Bulldogs’ 2016 premiership squad, notably taking Marcus Bontempelli with pick four and Aaron Naughton at nine, Dalrymple also found diamonds in the rough in Chad Warner (pick 39), James Rowbottom (25) and Justin McInerney (44) at Sydney.

The Eagles would love someone capable of nailing those late picks, akin to cross-town rival and Dockers list boss David Walls.

The Eagles have time to find them, given they won’t need to make their next list management decision until the mid-season draft and only if a player suffers a significant injury.

What West Coast needs is a forward-thinking list manager, who can pick holes and identify strengths before they develop and who can eke every available ounce of talent out of what’s already available.

The fate of West Coast’s planned turnaround in fortunes depends on it.

ledge
23-01-2024, 11:20 AM
They also have huge problems with injuries .
It’s been a huge issue since Covid.
Do they train on a ground too hard .. like us and skinner reserve ?

GVGjr
23-01-2024, 11:28 AM

Possibly they've gone too hard with long term contracts that have bitten them hard.
They're rich enough to fix any issues with the ground.

Happy Days
23-01-2024, 11:57 AM
How aren’t they still a list in free fall? They only added one guy (two with Brockman I guess).

mjp
23-01-2024, 01:28 PM

Lathlain Park (where they train) is ELITE!

They shipped in the same grass used on the MCG to create the playing surface...

To be fair, I moved clubs last year and am not at the same training base as them any more but they train at an amazing venue.

ledge
23-01-2024, 02:21 PM
Lathlain Park (where they train) is ELITE!

They shipped in the same grass used on the MCG to create the playing surface...

To be fair, I moved clubs last year and am not at the same training base as them any more but they train at an amazing venue.

So something is happening that’s causing a lot of injuries . What’s your thoughts on why ?
I don’t think it’s just a bad run.

Mofra
24-01-2024, 04:10 PM
So something is happening that’s causing a lot of injuries . What’s your thoughts on why ?
List profile and long contracts have something to do with it.
NicNat went around again last year, Yeo is made of tissue paper and Gaff was cooked by the end of 2022.

ledge
24-01-2024, 04:27 PM
List profile and long contracts have something to do with it.
NicNat went around again last year, Yeo is made of tissue paper and Gaff was cooked by the end of 2022.

Nic Nat would have played about 5 games in his last 3 years . Amazing they kept him so long.

mjp
28-01-2024, 08:49 PM

Umm - I guess I have thoughts.

It's basically pretty bad/hard when you're losing to get things together.

1/. Your vets get rested because they become 'critical' - so when they lift the training volume (or play a match) they break.
2/. Their kids get 'fast tracked' cos they need them and they break.
3/. The support players are forced to play in roles they shouldn't (aka can't) and struggle to perform...most of these guys are good soldiers who will then do extras and other stuff trying to raise their performance level and they break.

It's why clubs have injuries in clusters. And when the pressure continues to be 'on' to win actual games of footy, well, the cycle continues..

What can you do? Well, you need a circuit breaker (like you sack the coach) to remove the pressure or you need to win some games or both.

I still remember when Carlton sacked Bolton and installed Teague - who did stuff like recall veterans and stick them around the ball and move the kids out of primary roles to flanks and back to the VFL...they got some continuity and won some games. Proved nothing and potentially compromised Carlton long-term (but gave the supporters hope (and players) and increased Teagues chance of getting a job). Workloads and injuries are very closely linked...

There was a comment in the training thread the other day about 'more running' and one poster commented that they like more running. Well...it's a fine line you walk...and if you push too far over the line it is VERY hard to get things back under control once the injury cycle starts.

ledge
28-01-2024, 11:40 PM
Be interesting to see our injuries the last 5 years and what the common one is . Do we have more or less than other clubs ?
Is it due to a hard ground as in skinner reserve last season did it go up in that year ? .
I think our injuries are down from the last few years.
And I am talking muscle or training injuries not including collision injuries.

GVGjr
27-02-2024, 04:59 PM
How much power can West Coast have in the media?

Peter Sumich quits The West Australian after being stopped from publishing Harley Reid column (https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/media-street-peter-sumich-quits-the-west-australian-after-being-stopped-from-publishing-harley-reid-column/news-story/cb19486992432c4db81898a0d8cf3c0a)

West Coast champion Peter Sumich has quit his weekly newspaper column after they refused to publish an article criticising boom recruit Harley Reid.

Sumich has been writing for the West Australian for 18 months with the paper promoting him as not holding back and offering an “insightful, no-holds-barred perspective” on all footy matters.

It turns out the two-time premiership spearhead went too hard on the Eagles new golden boy who has been the newspaper’s obsession since he arrived in Perth in December.

“I’m not writing for the West anymore,” Sumich told Media Street.

“I had a bit of a run-in with them. I wanted to put this article in and they reckon I was too harsh.

“It was on Harley Reid, I gave the kid a pump-up and said he is going to be a good player but everyone is carrying on like he’s going to be Chris Judd.

Sumich revealed part of the article focussed on Reid’s body saying he used the term “puppy fat” when describing the No.1 draft pick’s conditioning.

“I said he has got a little bit of puppy fat and he needs to tidy up this and that but that was it,” he said. “Other than that I pumped the kid up, there wasn’t anything disastrous or bad.”

The former Eagles assistant coach said the hype around Reid was over the top.

“He has been here since December or so, let’s say 50 days and I reckon he has been in the paper for 40 of those 50 days.

“And on the back page probably 20 of them . . . seriously c’mon where is WA football going? It’s not a good sign.”

Sumich, who kicked a club record 514 goals from 150 games with the Eagles from 1989-1997, said he feared for his old side’s fortunes in 2024.

“I love the club and I want them to do well but at the moment it is really a basket-case and there is no light at the end of the tunnel on what I saw on Saturday night (against Fremantle),” he said.

“If anyone can tell me any different, well, please. Fremantle are going to be OK, I don’t think they are a top six side yet they put West Coast to the sword without even trying.”

Grantysghost
27-02-2024, 06:07 PM
The Harley Reid stuff is over the top, has Jack Watts vibes.

ledge
27-02-2024, 06:17 PM

If you’re in WA it would be huge .

mjp
27-02-2024, 06:21 PM
If you’re in WA it would be huge .

Well...if you get all your footy info from WOOF like me (and themongrelpunt) it actually isn't too bad.

I watched the practice game on the weekend and given some of the lack of effort by the Eagles players my thoughts were that they need to make a coaching change. I pretty much never ever say that but I just can't see the point of Simpson continuing.

bornadog
27-02-2024, 06:22 PM

How many seasons before he comes back to Vic?

ledge
27-02-2024, 06:44 PM
Well...if you get all your footy info from WOOF like me (and themongrelpunt) it actually isn't too bad.

I watched the practice game on the weekend and given some of the lack of effort by the Eagles players my thoughts were that they need to make a coaching change. I pretty much never ever say that but I just can't see the point of Simpson continuing.

Yeah I agree , didn’t see much urgency at all.

GVGjr
27-02-2024, 07:31 PM

The only problem for Eagles is that his salary would have to come out of the footy department spend and that would inhibit them in a big way going forward.
I think they would make the change if they could because it's not really a money consideration for the club as they are one of the richest of clubs in the competition and they could afford it but because the money has to come out of the footy depart they need to lose a lot of staff.
Are they any names being mentioned in the west as a possible replacement for Simpson?

ShibbyUp
27-02-2024, 08:02 PM
The only problem for Eagles is that his salary would have to come out of the footy department spend and that would inhibit them in a big way going forward.
I think they would make the change if they could because it's not really a money consideration for the club as they are one of the richest of clubs in the competition and they could afford it but because the money has to come out of the footy depart they need to lose a lot of staff.
Are they any names being mentioned in the west as a possible replacement for Simpson?

He's out of contract end of next year. The Eagles could easily pay the luxury tax for going over their soft cap if they wanted. Estimates last year is it would've cost them $7mil to sack him. That goes down as each month passes.

Dean Cox is the presumptive heir I believe.

ledge
27-02-2024, 11:41 PM
I like Peter Sumich now. He is right and stands by it.

Go_Dogs
28-02-2024, 06:52 AM
Had a chuckle about it.

Honestly, it goes both ways. The media shouldn’t be building him up as frequently as it seems they are. Sumich probably shouldn’t go too hard at a kid who hasn’t played a game yet (not sure he was going too hard mind you). Great to not be the #1 pick in some ways.

ledge
28-02-2024, 10:56 AM
Had a chuckle about it.

Honestly, it goes both ways. The media shouldn’t be building him up as frequently as it seems they are. Sumich probably shouldn’t go too hard at a kid who hasn’t played a game yet (not sure he was going too hard mind you). Great to not be the #1 pick in some ways.

Remember The bulldogs copped it for not playing JUH, the media chose to leave out the facts that he couldn’t play
VFL due to covid shutting the comp down so he wasn’t playing at all.
The fact he was picked up by side that was playing finals and not a bottom side.
He was a tall skinny forward who needed to put on some weight.
Then two years later they are congratulating Bevo for not playing him early.
Your right the last thing you want as an 18 year old is being pick 1.