PDA

View Full Version : St Kilda

GVGjr
09-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Apparently 5 players have nominated the Saints as their preferred destination

Howard joins Butler, Jones, Hill and Ryder have nominated the Saints as their preferred destination

Since when are the Saints a destination club? :)

I'm honestly surprised that Howard would pick them over North unless there is something else happening behind the scenes

Grantysghost
09-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Apparently 5 players have nominated the Saints as their preferred destination

Howard joins Butler, Jones, Hill and Ryder have nominated the Saints as their preferred destination

Since when are the Saints a destination club? :)

I'm honestly surprised that Howard would pick them over North unless there is something else happening behind the scenes

Bruce might want to stay now :cool:

1eyedog
09-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Haha. They're throwing the money around that's for sure. They got no marquee talent to pay and are likely paying overs for who they are bringing in. Our list is so far ahead of theirs it's not funny. Actually yes their list is pretty funny.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Bruce might want to stay now :cool:

No money left to pay him is the take away for me. Good for them though.

I suspect Bruce, Acres, Newnes & McKenzie are in the outs column though. Possibly future picks too.

AshMac
09-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Haha. They're throwing the money around that's for sure. They got no marquee talent to pay and are likely paying overs for who they are bringing in. Our list is so far ahead of theirs it's not funny. Actually yes their list is pretty funny.

buuuuuut - they beat us. in the second half of the year when we had the flow

lemmon
09-10-2019, 09:25 PM
If I was a Saint supporter, I'm not stoked. I don't think the list they have is good enough without going to the draft and they're going to lose one, if not two first rounders bringing these guys in.

Surely they're paying well over the odds in terms of wage too.

Bulldog Revolution
09-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Howard is a great get for them - changes their off season in my eyes

Butler is fringe - Zak Jones solid and hopefully for them Brad Hill elite

Happy Days
09-10-2019, 11:32 PM
Saints have never been any good at the trade table. Either get embarrassingly rolled or offer ridiculous overs for players to get them in. Offering plum draft picks for Hickey and Longer to play the same position in consecutive years is a particularly funny highlight.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2019, 04:16 PM
Paddy Ryder, despite nominating St Kilda, spotted down at Carlton land today getting the tour.

At minimum it's interesting he's nominated St Kilda but still checking out other clubs.

DOG GOD
10-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Saints give picks 6 and 59 to GWS and get picks 12 and 18 in return

Mofra
10-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Saints give picks 6 and 59 to GWS and get picks 12 and 18 in return
Makes Hill even harder to get now.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-10/the-stumbling-block-holding-up-the-hill-deal

ST KILDA and Fremantle are at a stalemate on Brad Hill, with the Dockers asking for the Saints' 2020 first-round selection to be part of the deal – on top of this year's pick six.

Scorlibo
11-10-2019, 02:13 PM
Makes Hill even harder to get now.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-10/the-stumbling-block-holding-up-the-hill-deal

What Fremantle are asking to receive in exchange for Hill is madness. He's a good outside player but he's no Tim Kelly.

Pick 6 by itself would almost be overs, considering the kind of quality you can get at pick 6 in recent times includes Stephenson, Wingard or Macrae - and for a whole career, not just five years.

Testekill
11-10-2019, 11:53 PM
It's hilarious that the Saints probably shot themselves in the foot by trading away pick 6. Should've just stood firm about offering pick 6 and Freo would have probably ended up taking it. Instead Freo are going to be even more likely to turn it down because pick 18 will get eaten up by their NGA kid.

They got too clever and it's probably gonna bite them on the arse.

jeemak
12-10-2019, 12:11 AM
What Fremantle are asking to receive in exchange for Hill is madness. He's a good outside player but he's no Tim Kelly.

Pick 6 by itself would almost be overs, considering the kind of quality you can get at pick 6 in recent times includes Stephenson, Wingard or Macrae - and for a whole career, not just five years.

Mate, absolutely!

I just don't see how Hill is worth what Fremantle is asking for him, like you I don't see him being worth pick six.

Sedat
12-10-2019, 10:36 AM
It's hilarious that the Saints probably shot themselves in the foot by trading away pick 6. Should've just stood firm about offering pick 6 and Freo would have probably ended up taking it. Instead Freo are going to be even more likely to turn it down because pick 18 will get eaten up by their NGA kid.

They got too clever and it's probably gonna bite them on the arse.
I actually sympathise with them in this instance - they do have 5 players who have nominated to come to St Kilda, and pick 6 and some late picks weren't going to cut the mustard. Splitting pick 6 at least gives them more currency to get a number of these other deals done. It's not just about Hill.

Also it means they now will probably have to tap into next years first pick which hinders their currency for Ben King.

1eyedog
12-10-2019, 11:26 AM
I have no sympathy for them. They sold the product to all of these players and now realise they've bit off more than they can chew. They can clean up their own mess. I hope they pay out their asses this year it will make getting King that much easier for us next year.

Sedat
12-10-2019, 11:30 AM
I have no sympathy for them. They sold the product to all of these players and now realise they've bit off more than they can chew. They can clean up their own mess. I hope they pay out their asses this year it will make getting King that much easier for us next year.
Let me clarify, I hope their strategy blows up in their face :D

But I do understand why they've split pick 6 to get 12 and 18 as it gives them the tools to get more of these deals done. Remember that Grubby Allen is now involved in their list and trading team and he didn't come down from the last shower.

1eyedog
12-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Splitting their early first is either very stupid (they miss out on Hill) or a masterstroke as they've called Freo's bluff and get him even cheaper than their original offer.

If it's 12 this year, for our sake, I hope Freo start demanding that and next year's first as well. That is way overs and is entering Tim Kelly territory but that's what Freo will be starting with on Monday. Will the Saints do it?

bornadog
12-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Let me clarify, I hope their strategy blows up in their face :D

But I do understand why they've split pick 6 to get 12 and 18 as it gives them the tools to get more of these deals done. Remember that Grubby Allen is now involved in their list and trading team and he didn't come down from the last shower.

Splitting a first round is fine, but I wouldn't split a first rounder under 10, unless you feel the draft is very shallow. Perhaps they don't rate the top six players.

GVGjr
12-10-2019, 09:51 PM
Sam Landsberger has come up with this potential line up for the Saints

B: Dylan Roberton, Dougal Howard (NEW), Jimmy Webster

HB: Zak Jones (NEW), Jake Carlisle, Nick Coffield

C: Dan Hannebery, Jack Steele, Brad Hill (NEW)

HF: Jack Billings, Tim Membrey, Dean Kent

F: Paddy Ryder (NEW), Max King (DEBUT), Dan Butler (NEW)

R: Rowan Marshall, Jade Gresham, Seb Ross

Inter: Josh Battle, Ben Long, Jarryn Geary, Hunter Clark

Emerg: Jack Sinclair, Matt Parker, Callum Wilkie, Luke Dunstan

Bumper Bulldogs
12-10-2019, 10:24 PM
Sam Landsberger has come up with this potential line up for the Saints

B: Dylan Roberton, Dougal Howard (NEW), Jimmy Webster

HB: Zak Jones (NEW), Jake Carlisle, Nick Coffield

C: Dan Hannebery, Jack Steele, Brad Hill (NEW)

HF: Jack Billings, Tim Membrey, Dean Kent

F: Paddy Ryder (NEW), Max King (DEBUT), Dan Butler (NEW)

R: Rowan Marshall, Jade Gresham, Seb Ross

Inter: Josh Battle, Ben Long, Jarryn Geary, Hunter Clark

Emerg: Jack Sinclair, Matt Parker, Callum Wilkie, Luke Dunstan

Would rather coach the bulldogs list

GVGjr
12-10-2019, 11:16 PM
Would rather coach the bulldogs list

Better than their list last year though

Twodogs
13-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Better than their list last year though

It is but the bottom half dozen are pretty ordinary footballers.

bornadog
17-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Are the Saints better off?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHBg8AEUwAAVsko?format=jpg&name=large

comrade
17-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I think they should be pretty pleased with their efforts.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Blake Acres is an out too.

Outs:

Jack Steven, 4 X BF, gone for bugger all and they're paying some of his wage.
Josh Bruce, their most consistent KPF for years. Didn't seem happy with them.
Blake Acres, scope to be a good player. Blind sided and very unhappy initially with his name being thrown up.
Robbie Young, despite have a contract next year has been delisted and paid out.
Jack Newnes, looks out the door for nothing.

They're paying about $2.5M to:

Hill. Best winger. Huge trade cost and salary.
Ryder. If he's not cooked, he mustn't be far off cooked.
Jones. Struggles to consistently kick the footy where he wants to.
Butler. At the price ok.
Howard. Could be very good, but they must be certain to pay him $600,000 X 5.

It will sell memberships and I heard on trade radio they have a promo at the minute 'buy one get one free'. Their membership numbers are going to surge ahead of next year. Not that I wish for it, but it sounds like Carlisle is cooked, McCartin is going to struggle to play again and the Great White Hope Max King better not get injured.

They also threw a rediculous contract at Tomlinson and missed, and had a serious go at Keath, Ed Langdon, Martin and others. If you keep throwing out contracts paying overs to 10 or more players, you're bound to get five names (less three decent players, so two netted players).

It feels like a SuperCoach trade period that stands in isolation from anything and everything else. I don't see those ins make them a top 8 side next year and this sort of trading is all about that. Now they've only got a 1st and 2 X 4ths as their picks next year.

It's not all bad for them, but when you consider what they lost in players, no picks inside Pick 50 this year, and their limited 2020 draft hand (only one pick inside Pick 60 estimated), it's a good trade period for sure, but not as good as some are banging on about.

Sedat
17-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Reckon they will miss Bruce a lot more than they envisage right now. Remember only 12 months ago when Jesse Hogan was not going to be a big loss to Melbourne's forward line because they already had Tom McDonald and the emerging superstar Sam Wiedeman?

hujsh
17-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Reckon they will miss Bruce a lot more than they envisage right now. Remember only 12 months ago when Jesse Hogan was not going to be a big loss to Melbourne's forward line because they already had Tom McDonald and the emerging superstar Sam Wiedeman?

Betting the farm on Marshall and King being good to go next year as forwards

comrade
17-10-2019, 10:21 AM
They had pick 5 and some post 50 rubbish to get 5 deals done and they somehow managed to do it while retaining their first pick next year, so in terms of wheeling and dealing, they get a tick, IMO.

But it says a lot about how poor their recent drafting and development has been, that they even needed to bring in 5 guys that will instantly slot into their best 22. I won't be surprised if there are cohesion issues next season and they don't rise like Saints fans are hoping.

GVGjr
17-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Betting the farm on Marshall and King being good to go next year as forwards

I'd say they are investing in the future by providing more opportunities to both of them

They won't be super competitive in 2020 but are probably looking more at 2021

hujsh
17-10-2019, 10:35 AM
I'd say they are investing in the future by providing more opportunities to both of them

They won't be super competitive in 2020 but are probably looking more at 2021

I suspect someone might need to tell some of their supporters that as with the addition of 3 pretty hyped up players (Howard, Jones and Hill) they'll be expecting more than that. Maybe not a premiership but certainly a significant rise.

Twodogs
17-10-2019, 10:37 AM
I'd be happy if I were a St Kilda fan given they had bugger all draft picks and have managed to get the players (granted that they are not superstars but they got some solid role players into the club) who committed to them through the door.

This may not pay off this trade period but it well may pay off in future trade periods because people can see that when they commit to the Saints then the saints will try their best not to abandon them.

Bulldog4life
17-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Blake Acres is an out too.

Outs:

Jack Steven, 4 X BF, gone for bugger all and they're paying some of his wage.
Josh Bruce, their most consistent KPF for years. Didn't seem happy with them.
Blake Acres, scope to be a good player. Blind sided and very unhappy initially with his name being thrown up.

Hill. Best winger. Huge trade cost and salary.
Butler. At the price ok.
Howard. Could be very good, but they must be certain to pay him $600,000 X 5.

It will sell memberships and I heard on trade radio they have a promo at the minute 'buy one get one free'. Their membership numbers are going to surge ahead of next year. Not that I wish for it, but it sounds like Carlisle is cooked, McCartin is going to struggle to play again and the Great White Hope Max King better not get injured.

They also threw a rediculous contract at Tomlinson and missed, and had a serious go at Keath, Ed Langdon, Martin and others. If you keep throwing out contracts paying overs to 10 or more players, you're bound to get five names (less three decent players, so two netted players).

It feels like a SuperCoach trade period that stands in isolation from anything and everything else. I don't see those ins make them a top 8 side next year and this sort of trading is all about that. Now they've only got a 1st and 2 X 4ths as their picks next year.

It's not all bad for them, but when you consider what they lost in players, no picks inside Pick 50 this year, and their limited 2020 draft hand (only one pick inside Pick 60 estimated), it's a good trade period for sure, but not as good as some are banging on about.

3 of the players they recruited played Ressies during the season too. Not sure about Jones.

Mofra
17-10-2019, 01:53 PM
3 of the players they recruited played Ressies during the season too. Not sure about Jones.
That includes Dougal Howard who will be an absolute gun KPD. Port played him out of position before dropping him.

bornadog
17-10-2019, 02:47 PM
That includes Dougal Howard who will be an absolute gun KPD. Port played him out of position before dropping him.

Howard has potential, but still unknown till he proves it.

1eyedog
17-10-2019, 03:47 PM
There all OK players Josh Bruce will kick between 50-70 goals for us next year.

Mofra
17-10-2019, 04:08 PM
Howard has potential, but still unknown till he proves it.
Leading the comp in 1%ers in 2018 proves it for mine.
Hinkley wanted to make him a swingman, which I don't think he is.

strebla
17-10-2019, 04:36 PM
This may not pay off this trade period but it well may pay off in future trade periods because people can see that when they commit to the Saints then the saints will try their best not to abandon them.

Spot on TD other clubs will also note this I think Essenscum and Caaaaaarrrrrlton need to have a real good look at how some clubs play the trading game or they will get passed over more and more often.

dog town
18-10-2019, 06:26 AM
I would be very concerned if I was a saints fan. They are kind of caught between rebuilding and topping up. It feels like they had cap space so just got anyone they could. It will give them a spike but not sure it’s been great for their list build. Losing their best player and their best goal kicker hurts too.

westdog54
18-10-2019, 08:05 AM
In terms of the result from the trade period itself, I think they've done reasonably well.

The problem is they've got very, very weak draft hands both this year and next and I'm not sure they're in a position to not be bringing in young talent at the moment.

They'll be considerably better on the field next year but they need to be able to keep Hannebery on the park, otherwise that trade will bite them in the arse in a big way.

GVGjr
18-10-2019, 08:18 AM
In terms of the result from the trade period itself, I think they've done reasonably well.

The problem is they've got very, very weak draft hands both this year and next and I'm not sure they're in a position to not be bringing in young talent at the moment.

They'll be considerably better on the field next year but they need to be able to keep Hannebery on the park, otherwise that trade will bite them in the arse in a big way.

It's a fair point you raise but the new coach would have had his say in the direction they're taking and has obviously wanted to bring some experience in.
I don't think this will change much for them in 2020 but their fans probably wanted some hope and they've been given that

Sedat
18-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Hill is a huge plus for them (especially under the roof at Marvel) but they had to pony up big to make it happen.
Howard is a potentially strong selection but he hasn't got massive amount of exposed form, very similar to Keath but at a bigget outlay (age is positive)
Ryder is cheap insurance but his best footy is behind him and he also excels as first ruck, not ruck-forward
Zak Jones is simply a mediocre AFL standard player and the hype far exceeds the output. He won't suddently become a better decision maker or ball user at his age.
Butler is steak knives and a handy addition to their forward set up, but he is behind about half a dozen players in similar roles at Richmond.

They did well to land their targets but I'm not sure all their targets will improve them a great deal. And they have compromosed their draft hand significantly for the next 2 years whilst also losing bankable quality in Bruce, Steven and potential quality in Acres.

Topdog
18-10-2019, 11:49 AM
2 leading goalscorers last year were Membrey (44) & Bruce (36). Next after that was Parker with 16. They have lost massively in the forward line and will struggle massively next year due to it.
I think long term they will be better off but thats not what has been sold to their members

BornInDroopSt'54
18-10-2019, 12:00 PM
AFL site rating Saints as having the #1 best trade period of all clubs and us at #3.
https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-16/trade-period-ranked-from-worst-to-best-whos-in-out-draft-hand
Given that Jack Stevens only cost pick 58 I would have negotiated for him for Dogs.

GVGjr
18-10-2019, 12:19 PM
AFL site rating Saints as having the #1 best trade period of all clubs and us at #3.
https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-16/trade-period-ranked-from-worst-to-best-whos-in-out-draft-hand
Given that Jack Stevens only cost pick 58 I would have negotiated for him for Dogs.

The rankings don't mean much but full credit to the Saints for landing all of their targets

Having said that, I can't fault the way Sam Power and the team performed in addressing our lack of key position depth and quality.

No more excuses for losses now

Doc26
18-10-2019, 02:15 PM
2 leading goalscorers last year were Membrey (44) & Bruce (36). Next after that was Parker with 16. They have lost massively in the forward line and will struggle massively next year due to it.
I think long term they will be better off but thats not what has been sold to their members

This is how I'm leaning as well TD. There's quite an onus on Max King, and particularly with any risk that he carries coming off his previous ACL. Losing Bruce, at least in the short term may put more defensive pressure on Membrey. I guess to counter this though is that they have brought Ryder in which will ease the load on Marshall to do all the heavy lifting in the forward half. If both Ryder and Max King can play their part then they should be OK up forward.

Mantis
18-10-2019, 04:05 PM
The boom recruit from 12 months ago (Hanners) is in wars again having busted his leg slipping on some stairs at his sisters place.

Hardly an ideal situation for a player on big coin who couldn't get on the park this year.

Sedat
18-10-2019, 04:36 PM
The boom recruit from 12 months ago (Hanners) is in wars again having busted his leg slipping on some stairs at his sisters place.

Hardly an ideal situation for a player on big coin who couldn't get on the park this year.
How unlucky and clumsy can one person be

bulldogtragic
18-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Proper analysis:

Outs X 12:

1. Jack Steven, 4 X BF, gone for bugger all and they're paying some of his wage.
2. Josh Bruce, their most consistent KPF for years. Didn't seem happy with them.
3. Blake Acres, scope to be a good player. Blind sided and very unhappy initially with his name being thrown up.
4. Robbie Young, despite have a contract next year, against his desire, he has been delisted and paid out. A casualty of winning the trade period.
5. Jack Newnes, now going to Carlton.
6. Paddy McCrtin
7-12. Armitage, Longer, Pierce, Rowe, Rice, White (delisted)

Hill. Best winger. Huge trade cost and salary of $900,000.
Butler. At the price ok.
Howard. Could be very good, but they must be certain about his ability and co sister you to pay him $600,000 X 5.

It will sell memberships and I heard on trade radio they have a promo at the minute 'buy one get one free'. Their membership numbers are going to surge ahead of next year. Not that I wish for it, but it sounds like Carlisle is cooked (they couldn't get trade interest at almost giving him away), McCartin is going to struggle to play again and the Great White Hope Max King better not get injured.

AshMac
18-10-2019, 06:29 PM
How unlucky and clumsy can one person be

Was mid morning but screams of being drunk...

Twodogs
18-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Was mid morning but screams of being drunk...

He comes across as a bloke who enjoys a refreshing drink every now and then. Like Homer said when Marge called him out for drinking daqarais at 3am "hey I like waking up smashed"

Mofra
21-10-2019, 02:46 PM
He was only going to Geelong. Has wanted to go there for the past two seasons.

St Kilda haven't fared that well with first round draft picks in recent times (they had two picks just before we took Naughton) so getting Hill (the best winger in the comp) and Howard (one of the best young KPPs going) is big.

Ryder might hurt Marshall rather than help, but with Howard they can do what they wanted to do last year - send Josh Battle forward. He's arguably their most promising young player, excluding Max King.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Proper analysis:

Outs X 12:

1. Jack Steven, 4 X BF, gone for bugger all and they're paying some of his wage.
2. Josh Bruce, their most consistent KPF for years. Didn't seem happy with them.
3. Blake Acres, scope to be a good player. Blind sided and very unhappy initially with his name being thrown up.
4. Robbie Young, despite have a contract next year, against his desire, he has been delisted and paid out. A casualty of winning the trade period.
5. Jack Newnes, now going to Carlton.
6. Paddy McCartin
7-12. Armitage, Longer, Pierce, Rowe, Rice, White (delisted)

Hill. Best winger. Huge trade cost and salary of $900,000.
Butler. At the price ok.
Howard. Could be very good, but they must be certain about his ability and co sister you to pay him $600,000 X 5.

It will sell memberships and I heard on trade radio they have a promo at the minute 'buy one get one free'. Their membership numbers are going to surge ahead of next year. Not that I wish for it, but it sounds like Carlisle is cooked (they couldn't get trade interest at almost giving him away), McCartin is going to struggle to play again and the Great White Hope Max King better not get injured.

Updated with Jack Newnes heading to Carlton, McCrtin delisted, now there's now 12 players out the door at Moorabbin (nearly 1/3 of the list). Which is huge, and the domino effect if after the five incoming players, they now have 6 spots open with late picks. How they manage this is going to be interesting.

Mofra
25-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Updated with Jack Newnes heading to Carlton, there's now 11-12 players out the door at Moorabbin (nearly 1/3 of the list). Which is huge, and the domino effect if after the five incoming players, they may have 6-7 spots open with late picks. How they manage this is going to be interesting.
They'll have to pick up a recycled player or two just so they have mature depth, surely.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2019, 02:05 PM
They'll have to pick up a recycled player or two just so they have mature depth, surely.

I don't think they have a choice other than to do that. Which is crazy, it's like they're topping up for another premiership. 12 turnover in one year is dangerous, from memory Carlton did 12 delistings/movements out in a year and brought list cloggers (ex. Jones eventually) in Jones & Tutt, Jaksch & Whiley etc. etc. The only difference is they has two picks under 50 (unlike St Kilda), but they picked Viojo-Rainbow and Boekhurst.

I give them Hill & Howard ($1.5M combined), maybe to Jones and no to Ryder (cooked) and Butler (fringe). Three picks on the bad side of Pick 50 this year (probably none under 60 next year) and two recycled players. They're potentially clogging up their list around two good recruits from the bottom part of the ladder.

The media was in love with Carlton too, two potentially great KPFs (one a competitive beast) and other good talents to fast forward their rebuild. Then they love that Carlton could get such talent like Boekhurst & Rainbow. They lost Waite, Garlett & Mitch Robinson. Now we all acknowledge that as the worst trade and draft period in history.

I can't say right now that St Kilda have done epicly well, or set them up for failure. But if only Hill & Howard become great players, then they're spending two off seasons clogging their list with late picks and delisted free agents. I'm not sure how that translates into a sustained attack for premiership/s. I'm not prepared to say from an overall list perspective that they've got the right strategy at a minimum. I will bookmark this and come back in a few years.

Axe Man
25-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Have to laugh at this quote from Brad Hill about Richo being replaced by Ratten:

"I didn't know the coach change was going to happen, (but) obviously the players that are playing for the club aren't really going to change too much," Hill said.

Not too much change, only a quarter of the list.

GVGjr
27-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Reports are that Patrick McCartin will be delisted by the Saints and he will take a break from football

comrade
27-10-2019, 04:34 PM
Reports are that Patrick McCartin will be delisted by the Saints and he will take a break from football

Think it’s a good move for Paddy physically, hopefully he has plenty of support around him to get him through mentally.

GVGjr
27-10-2019, 04:48 PM
Think it’s a good move for Paddy physically, hopefully he has plenty of support around him to get him through mentally.

He needs a lot of support, football is a long way off.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Josh Bruce - Go find another club, like now.
Paddy McCartin - For your own good, you're delisted.
Max King - I know you haven't played a single game, I know you've done an ACL, but no pressure you're the one.
Josh Battle - 11 goals in three years as mainly a defender, but no pressure but you are also the one as a KPF.
Paddy Ryder - We expect you to kick a goal this season for every birthday you've had. 43.
Tim Membrey - It's all on you.

Really? They knew McCartin was going, they knew Battle has limited games and more limited goals, they knew King has yet to debut, they know Ryder isn't what he used to be. And the priority was moving out Bruce so they could bring in Zac Jones?

Don't get me me wrong I'm very happy for us, but if I was a St Kilda member I'd be wondering what the hell is going on here. Leaving aside 12 outgoing players.

GVGjr
27-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Josh Bruce - Go find another club, like now.
Paddy McCartin - For your own good, you're delisted.
Max King - I know you haven't played a single game, I know you've done an ACL, but no pressure you're the one.
Josh Battle - 11 goals in three years as mainly a defender, but no pressure but you are also the one as a KPF.
Paddy Ryder - We expect you to kick a goal this season for every birthday you've had. 43.
Tim Membrey - It's all on you.

Really? They knew McCartin was going, they knew Battle has limited games and more limited goals, they knew King has yet to debut, they know Ryder isn't what he used to be. And the priority was moving out Bruce so they could bring in Zac Jones?

Don't get me me wrong I'm very happy for us, but if I was a St Kilda member I'd be wondering what the hell is going on here. Leaving aside 12 outgoing players.

Sometimes a crisis creates opportunities
12 months earlier we backed Tom Boyd to play two key roles for us in 2019 (key forward and 2nd ruckman) knowing full well of his mental health challenges and the fact that his 2018 season was curtailed by a back injury and that didn't eventuate. We were lucky we sent a 19yo forward at late notice in a JLT game even though he worked with the defenders all summer and it ended up working out exceptionally well for us.
My biggest bugbear is that many clubs just don't plan for injuries or the loss of players even when they are clearly struggling.

The Saints at least now have some time to review their list

mjp
27-10-2019, 05:55 PM

I don’t know. I think St Kilda members would be a bit energised. At least they’re having a go...surely the alternative (rolling it back, using pick 6 etc) wasn’t too appealing to supporters. Slightly off topic but I don’t get the angst about Ryder. His old man played past 50...i’m Sure that he’ll be fine.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2019, 10:04 PM
I don’t know. I think St Kilda members would be a bit energised. At least they’re having a go...surely the alternative (rolling it back, using pick 6 etc) wasn’t too appealing to supporters. Slightly off topic but I don’t get the angst about Ryder. His old man played past 50...i’m Sure that he’ll be fine.

In isolation perhaps, some bigger names is a nice sugar high. There seems to me a lack of coherent strategy to me. Moving out future 2nd and 3rds last year. Last year one pick under Pick 40 (Max King). This year no picks under Pick 50. Next year no picks probably inside 60. I'm not convinced they have the quality in the younger players to be avoiding the draft like Donald Trump and his 'bone spurs'. That's worrying to me.

Their defence looks better for Howard, but I doubt if Nathan Brown or Jake Carlisle are on their list by the end of next year. They want to move Battle forward, but we don't know for certain this will work. Max King is the chosen one and hasn't played a game yet. He may well be the one, but it's a gamble. So forcing Josh Bruce out when they knew McCartin was all but certain to be delisted seems short sighted or confusing.

The decision to move on 12 players out the door in one swoop is potentially dangerous. The last team to do it was Carlton under Malthouse who did a bit the same with Jaksch, Whiley, Jones, Tutt etc. etc. Their fans loved the aggressive stance which stimulated membership and interest. That's now considered the worst trade and draft period ever. I'm not suggesting that's staring down St Kilda, as Hill and Howard seem like good gets. The salary cap of circa $2.5M for the players seems a bit of overs.

So I still see a problem with one pick inside the top 40-60 for a three year period and a huge dump of 12 outs this year, including their best current KPF despite knowing McCartin was going too. If they had a solid group of top end kids (ie Naughton, Smith, English, Dunkley being added to say Bonts, Macrae, Schache etc) then I could understand them bypassing the draft and topping up at a flag. I just find most of what they've been doing confusing. If it works out for them, then good for them. But I don't see the lack of balance around their list for this three year block doing good things for them longer term. The sugar high is fine, but in say 3-4 years if they're still struggling away the review will look at many years bypassing the good end of the draft and the other list issues apparent.

mjp
27-10-2019, 10:51 PM
I don’t disagree.

But for most saints people - coming off the Watters and Richardson years - they want to see a new and bold approach. They don’t want to finish 13th. They dont want the hope of the next first round pick, they want the certainty of Hill and Jones...they want to see the club spending the money in the cap to get better...

I wouldn’t do it but I understand what they are trying.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2019, 11:14 PM
I don’t disagree.

But for most saints people - coming off the Watters and Richardson years - they want to see a new and bold approach. They don’t want to finish 13th. They dont want the hope of the next first round pick, they want the certainty of Hill and Jones...they want to see the club spending the money in the cap to get better...

I wouldn’t do it but I understand what they are trying.

That’s why I’m glad I’ll never ever run a footy club. It must be a very hard gig to balance what you ‘need’ now to keep your people enthused and engaged versus what you ‘need’ for the longer term. Especially if there’s a divergence. North in a similar spot went the opposite way. Tough gig to balance all the ‘needs’ at a club.

macca
28-10-2019, 03:49 AM
I hope all the best for Mc cartin , as the head injuries are series for him to make such a call and priority
Bruce must be relieved
His got schache and naughton as the two towers and some good crumbers at his feet and potentially even more if cavarra can debut
And west to play more games.
I’m looking forward to our fowrd line next season and Bruce kicking 50+ goals

soupman
28-10-2019, 01:11 PM
I don't disagree BT, and i think my point supports your argument, but Battle was fantastic in defence this season and i expect they see his future there. Also explains his low goal tally.

soupman
28-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Also i get their change of tact.

The Saints have spent pretty much every year since Lyon left rebuilding "the right way" via the draft and have been largely poor.

Despite it being the prevailing mentality in AFL i dont believe clubs need to always be building towards a flag. The Saints recruits put them into a position where they have more quality on the list. I think theoretically it bring their base performanc level up higher, and solidifies their position as being at least a mid tier team.

They can sit on that for a year or two and then build from there, instead of another false start rebuild.

bulldogtragic
28-10-2019, 01:38 PM
I don't disagree BT, and i think my point supports your argument, but Battle was fantastic in defence this season and i expect they see his future there. Also explains his low goal tally.

Yep, you can reply all the time! :D

Some of the trade radio/ trade podcasts talked about Howard releasing Battle to go back forward. That’s assuming Carlisle can get back on the park. Let’s say he stays back, there’s just Membrey and King (who hasn’t played a game) as genuine forwards with McCartin cut & Bruce shoved out. Knowing they were moving on McCartin, the move to push Bruce out is either strange, or a reflection of poor list management where the constant trade of decent picks leaves them no options to move out a quality player.

Whatever their strategy is, to get Bruce whose career stats aren’t far off Joe Daniher for just a second and third rounder makes us a beneficiary of their strategy. I’m thankful for that.

Back to us, I can now even more appreciate what our recruiters and list managers have been doing. That is, laying the foundation, getting elite draftsmen, putting the frame up, getting the blue collar trades to do blue collar things, putting the roof up and now working on finishing ($700,000 under budget). Good to be us.

bornadog
28-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Saints first round drafting has been very weak and they have traded away their first rounder a few times.

Jack Billings
Luke Dunstan
Blake Acres, now Freo

Patrick McCartin
Hugh Goddard
Now Carlton

Jade Gresham

Hunter Clark
Nicholas Coffield

Jack Mayo
Max King
Zero games

2012, 2016 and now 2019 no picks. 2014 unlucky with McCartin, 2018 yet to play.

They have tried their luck a few times to trade for stars, but their list is in my opinion still not where it should be.

However, Saints fans will be happy they have traded for some players and that will give them hope.

bulldogtragic
28-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Saints first round drafting has been very weak and they have traded away their first rounder a few times.

Jack Billings
Luke Dunstan
Blake Acres, now Freo

Patrick McCartin
Hugh Goddard
Now Carlton

Jade Gresham

Hunter Clark
Nicholas Coffield

Jack Mayo
Max King
Zero games

2012, 2016 and now 2019 no picks. 2014 unlucky with McCartin, 2018 yet to play.

They have tried their luck a few times to trade for stars, but their list is in my opinion still not where it should be.

However, Saints fans will be happy they have traded for some players and that will give them hope.

2019: No picks inside 50
2020: One pick inside 60

2012-2020 looks erratic at best. Add in targeting known injury cases like Carlisle & Hannerbury, while trading mature players out like Bruce, Steven, Hickey, Acres, Newnes.

As you say, if they have hope now then good luck to them. But I wouldn't want to inherit that list in a few years.

Grantysghost
28-10-2019, 06:56 PM
2019: No picks inside 50
2020: One pick inside 60

2012-2020 looks erratic at best. Add in targeting known injury cases like Carlisle & Hannerbury, while trading mature players out like Bruce, Steven, Hickey, Acres, Newnes.

As you say, if they have hope now then good luck to them. But I wouldn't want to inherit that list in a few years.

It's a bold strategy that's for sure. Saints supporters I've spoken to are all for it as they believe their list was very b or c grade weighted. My own opinion as someone who is a little on the conservative side is that it's too deep a cut. Bruce is especially fascinating. They've really got no cover. Membrey? As BT has exposed earlier this is a real crack at it now and it does make me think that guys like Lethlean and Finnis are disruptive executives in philosophy which may be what they need. I'm very interested to see how it all plays out.

Go_Dogs
28-10-2019, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure they shoved Bruce out. He was contracted and wanted an extension on reasonable dollars which St Kilda weren't willing to do at this stage. Every chance he stayed and got a one or two year extension, but player wanted more security and club were prepared to facilitate.

Twodogs
29-10-2019, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure they shoved Bruce out. He was contracted and wanted an extension on reasonable dollars which St Kilda weren't willing to do at this stage. Every chance he stayed and got a one or two year extension, but player wanted more security and club were prepared to facilitate.

He may have wanted to play with a club that actually wins things too. That ain't ever going to happen at St Kilda. Certainly not in the next few years.

We can at least offer him the chance of dancing on the dais in September. .

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 12:42 PM
What a dumpster fire...

- Frawley, Carlisle, McKernan & Ryder surely can’t go on. Four KPPs.
- Big money tied up in Hill & Crouch, not commensurate to their output.
- Hannebery is over 30 and hasn’t played this year.
- Howard is an expensive option when their mids won’t defend to help him out.
- Geary is 33 in two months.
- One draft pick inside the top 40 this year.
- Questions over their fragility.
- While exiting Bruce & Hickey for not huge return.

Their list manager would be sacked for either horrifically misjudging their list, or worse, he knew but wanted to go full Dodoro to win trade weeks. What they have proactively created is about as bad a situation that I could hypothesise. I can’t work out if they’ll double down or try to rebuild which means they let some free agents go like Billing’s. They’re on their way back into no mans land they’ve been in for a decade.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2021, 12:49 PM
Yeah they’ve gone for shallow wins to attract excitement and attention over building a list that sustains success over the long term.

They surprised me last year. I kept thinking there’s no way this list can be any good. Not even a 1 year blip. I suppose the COVID shortened quarters helped them a bit. Now they’re back to where I expected them.

DOG GOD
23-05-2021, 01:11 PM
The Marshall/Ryder combo were the reason that were so good last year, and the years that their recruits had in Hill, Jones, Butler and Howard.

Last night as good as we were, they were really pathetic, and after those 2 shanks from set shots, they truly dropped their heads and we went in for the kill. Last year they played as a team. This year, nothing like it.

GVGjr
23-05-2021, 02:17 PM
What a dumpster fire...

Their list manager would be sacked for either horrifically misjudging their list, or worse, he knew but wanted to go full Dodoro to win trade weeks. What they have proactively created is about as bad a situation that I could hypothesise. I can’t work out if they’ll double down or try to rebuild which means they let some free agents go like Billing’s. They’re on their way back into no mans land they’ve been in for a decade.

Add Daniel Hannebery as someone tied up with a lot of salary as well and he is signed until the end of 2023.

bornadog
23-05-2021, 03:34 PM
Yeah they’ve gone for shallow wins to attract excitement and attention over building a list that sustains success over the long term.

They surprised me last year. I kept thinking there’s no way this list can be any good. Not even a 1 year blip. I suppose the COVID shortened quarters helped them a bit. Now they’re back to where I expected them.

In a way I don't count last year. 17 games only with 5 short of a full season, anything could have happened in those 5 games.

My post (number 70) shows how they have not built a proper foundation of young talent coming through, and then topped with some established players.

Happy Days
23-05-2021, 03:46 PM
They tried to queue jump on the back of hitting the draft hard for years because that's where the state of their list should have been at, but they've vastly overestimated the quality of their top picks and it's going to end them for years.

Of all their top picks I can't think of one of any real quality. King will probably end up very good but isn't right now (despite what the state-controlled media will tell you), Clark is nothing more than okay, Coffield can't get a game, Gresham is never out there, and so on. They need to make some changes in their recruitment staff and fast, and probably try to get off some of these horrible contracts they've subjected themselves to.

jeemak
23-05-2021, 05:37 PM
What's happened over the past year or so was a classic sugar hit, whereby you had all of Ryder, Butler, Marshal, Hannebury, Jones and Hill etc. coming in and playing as well as they all could at the same time.

Given our cycles were relatively aligned post the 2008-2012 period it satisfies me knowing that after that time we've rebuilt, won a flag, rebuilt/ partially rebuilt (or whatever GVGjr will allow me to call it :) ) and seem to be doing better than they are again - albeit having lost a final to them last year.

Ratten has a huge task on his hands.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 06:18 PM
What's happened over the past year or so was a classic sugar hit, whereby you had all of Ryder, Butler, Marshal, Hannebury, Jones and Hill etc. coming in and playing as well as they all could at the same time.

Given our cycles were relatively aligned post the 2008-2012 period it satisfies me knowing that after that time we've rebuilt, won a flag, rebuilt/ partially rebuilt (or whatever GVGjr will allow me to call it :) ) and seem to be doing better than they are again - albeit having lost a final to them last year.

You think Ratten will be around. With the way players refused to chase, run to the next contest, stand on our goal line to touch at least of Goals they could’ve touched, and the shit body language and at times open disinterest, I’m waiting for the questions about whether he’s ‘lost the players’. They need a patsy to take the fall for the members, he’s as good as any. The fact being the list manager, his team and relevant committee people should all be sacked right now.

jeemak
23-05-2021, 07:50 PM
You think Ratten will be around. With the way players refused to chase, run to the next contest, stand on our goal line to touch at least of Goals they could’ve touched, and the shit body language and at times open disinterest, I’m waiting for the questions about whether he’s ‘lost the players’. They need a patsy to take the fall for the members, he’s as good as any. The fact being the list manager, his team and relevant committee people should all be sacked right now.

Here's the guy who needs to go (and for some reason has an extensive Wikipedia page which is gobsmacking and not at the same time given who he is) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Lethlean

I can imagine given his footballing background he thought it was just as simple as getting good players in like it is in some of the lesser comps like the Ammos, but AFL footy is a different sport and much more detailed when it comes to building lists.

1eyedog
23-05-2021, 07:56 PM
What a dumpster fire...

That's just about the perfect post.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 08:00 PM
Here's the guy who needs to go (and for some reason has an extensive Wikipedia page which is gobsmacking and not at the same time given who he is) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Lethlean

I can imagine given his footballing background he thought it was just as simple as getting good players in like it is in some of the lesser comps like the Ammos, but AFL footy is a different sport and much more detailed when it comes to building lists.

Bains coming to us has caused them a world of pain. I’m amazed that this incompetence from him and also Ned Guy at Collingwood can happen in organisation’s with a ton of cash and apparent oversight by their own organisation and the AFEL. Makes you appreciate our key off field people even more.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2021, 08:03 PM
I just don’t think their midfield stacks up. Who’s gonna hurt you? Steele is great but he’s still quite vanilla. They really could have used Treloar.

mjp
23-05-2021, 08:20 PM
What a dumpster fire...

Again, things are not as bad as they seem.

Set Frawley and McKernan aside - moneyball style, depth selections...Carlisle and Marshall injured? They play. No biggie.
I'll come back to Hill and Crouch.
Hannebery hasn't worked.
Howard is awesome...not sure of the criticism there.
Geary has been great. You give your 33 yo captain another year to 'prove it' - plus, not a big money player.

Hill was always a roll of the dice gamble that worked for a while. He has been electric for the past couple of weeks - rubbish last night and earlier in the year. He's an outside mid...is he worth the $? Prob not...but in terms of recruiting, he was a good choice.

I thought Crouch was wrong for them as he is just an accumulator...and by committing to him so early (think Sam Lloyd and Mitch Hannan for us) you limit yourself from selecting other players - in this case, they probably could have gotten involved with the Treloar recruitment.

I think they're going to be fine. The players are simply not defending and that cannot be quickly turned around...they PRESSURE around the ball (well, against Geelong they did) but that isn't the same as defending - sacrificing the potential for possession for the betterment of the side...it is going to take some time to work through.

I still look at their list and with King, Marshall, Howard they have some good talls and a reasonable fleet of mids...just have to play better.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Fair counter points. Howard can dead set play, I’m suggesting if you pay big dollars for him then for gods sake other 21 players help him do his job, defend. Give him a chop out, block his opponents run, anything to help him. He alone can stop everything. My criticism is of his team mates refusal to defend, not actually of Howard.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-05-2021, 04:12 PM

Always a risk to bring in so many players from other Clubs who have under performed with Howard being the possible exception.
Compared to our recruitment it has been a disaster, considering where St. Kilda finished last year. Not unlike Collingwood who similarly have made a mess of their recruitment policy.

Mofra
25-05-2021, 05:22 PM
Over the past 8 years they have taken 5 mids at the draft. That seems much lower than other clubs.

I'm not sure you can put up an entire midfield of players traded in (Zac Jones, Steele, Crouch) and expect 100% buy in from everyone. There simply has to be some drafted & developed players in there. Hunter Clark should play midfield (but doesn't), Byrne was arguably their best last weekend as a 'decent' developing type and Bytel battles hard.

Howard, King and Marshall are a decent framework and I like Battle either end (he's no wingman so god knows why he's played there). They also have no 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks this year. Billings is a finisher but he's not the type you build a list around and they've had a number of close drafting misses too (Billings over Bont, McCartin over Petracca, Clark and Coffield over Naughton).

Dry Rot
25-05-2021, 07:02 PM
The fish rots from the head down

https://www.afl.com.au/news/620556/damage-control-saints-president-s-mind-boggling-backflip

bulldogsthru&thru
25-05-2021, 07:39 PM

https://www.afl.com.au/news/620556/damage-control-saints-president-s-mind-boggling-backflip

Such an absurd thing to say. Imagine recruiting a bunch of 28-30 year olds and then saying you weren’t expecting to compete. I’d be ropable if I were a saints fan. But I’m not so I’m not.

Grantysghost
25-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Such an absurd thing to say. Imagine recruiting a bunch of 28-30 year olds and then saying you weren’t expecting to compete. I’d be ropable if I were a saints fan. But I’m not so I’m not.

Hard to believe someone like Lethlean would steer the ship asunder.

bornadog
25-05-2021, 07:50 PM

I thought you and some other posters were praising Saints last year on their recruiting and how they have done so well?

macca
25-05-2021, 07:54 PM
Hard to believe someone like Lethlean would steer the ship asunder.

AFL had to hide him somewhere after the alledge incident

I would be disgusted as a StKilda fan. Not even bother to sign up next year

The players now have probably lost respect for management, when their head of their organisation says that .

Any of their players we can pickup when their moral is down ?

Twodogs
25-05-2021, 08:07 PM

A classic "don't blame me" from the president. It can't be long before Ratten gets the full support of the board.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-05-2021, 08:29 PM
I thought you and some other posters were praising Saints last year on their recruiting and how they have done so well?

Thanks for bringing that up BAD!

I was praising them last season. They were playing much better than expected. But I always thought their recruiting was a little suss and short-sighted. It was never going to get them much past 6th. We're going for a flag. Multiple. They're trying to get attention by making a final. In the back of my mind I was hoping for this drop off as I didn't believe they had gone about their list build the right way. I'm just surprised the drop came this early. Injuries haven't helped them (they have zero depth) and Coffield and Long haven't come on. I still think they did well to bring in Howard, Ryder and Butler. With the impact Martin has had for us, imagine what Ryder could have done. Howard would have been a nice option down back and Butler, well I was suspect of his form last season but credit to him, he was almost AA and we were crying out for a small forward. Remember last season we were desperate for a ruck, KPD and small forward. Each of those guys had a large impact for the saints last year. I was complimentary of those recruits but not their overall list build.

Things have changed dramatically for both them and us this year. We look a completely different outfit to the meek and mild one from the EF last season. The saints are better than they are going this season but I never thought their list was better than ours. Ours is built for the long haul. Theirs is poorly built to win now, despite what their president is saying.

EasternWest
25-05-2021, 09:27 PM

Because I'm a pedant I can't stand the term "backflip" for a change of stance. If you backflip, you end up facing the same way.
Surely "about turn" is a better term?

bulldogtragic
25-05-2021, 09:30 PM
Because I'm a pedant I can't stand the term "backflip" for a change of stance. If you backflip, you end up facing the same way.

Lie.

It’s accurate and succinct.

Twodogs
25-05-2021, 09:58 PM

The one that annoys me is when someone says "I was talking to them on the phone and they turned around and said to me"

If you are talking on the phone how do you know that they turned around?

EasternWest
25-05-2021, 10:50 PM
The one that annoys me is when someone says "I was talking to them on the phone and they turned around and said to me"

If you are talking on the phone how do you know that they turned around?

The sound of air rushing in the mouthpiece.

The bulldog tragician
25-05-2021, 11:24 PM
The sound of air rushing in the mouthpiece.

Those posters who speak about Billing’s. The only thing that could be worse is if people began writing Caleb Daniel’s.

EasternWest
25-05-2021, 11:38 PM
Those posters who speak about Billing’s. The only thing that could be worse is if people began writing Caleb Daniel’s.

You've lost me. Mind you I am easily confused.

The bulldog tragician
26-05-2021, 01:00 AM
You've lost me. Mind you I am easily confused.
Agh, I was continuing with the ‘things that annoy me’ theme.

EasternWest
26-05-2021, 08:17 AM

Oh ha ha. Yes I agree. You may proceed.

Twodogs
26-05-2021, 11:35 AM

I got it. Same thing with Ryan Hargraves.

westdog54
26-05-2021, 03:25 PM
I got it. Same thing with Ryan Hargraves.

His name is Daniel, not Ryan.

Bulldog Joe
26-05-2021, 04:44 PM
His name is Daniel, not Ryan.

Only that was Daniel Hargreaves.

So many easy faults to find for us grammar/spelling nazis.

I have learnt to let it slide. Mostly

westdog54
26-05-2021, 05:17 PM

Was trying to share a joke with Twodogs.

Need a sarcasm button.

Bulldog Joe
26-05-2021, 06:24 PM
Was trying to share a joke with Twodogs.

Need a sarcasm button.

I understand and thought I was adding to it.

Twodogs
26-05-2021, 07:45 PM

You're talking about the singer from Silverchair.

Mantis
26-05-2021, 07:53 PM
It was pretty damning that St.Kilda had an older & more experienced team in on Saturday night.

You can't be beat by 100+ points when you only have 3 players in who have played under 50 games... you just can't. (Nth had 12 under 50 games when we gave them a touch up)

Twodogs
26-05-2021, 08:18 PM
It was pretty damning that St.Kilda had an older & more experienced team in on Saturday night.

You can't be beat by 100+ points when you only have 3 players in who have played under 50 games... you just can't. (Nth had 12 under 50 games when we gave them a touch up)

Yep they just gave up. You don't often see a team just give up. Usually at least after a break and early in a quarter you will see someone lay a tackle or run back with the flight and take a mark but they were just abysmal from the start of the second quarter to the end of the game.

Maybe Byrnes put in the odd effort but the rest (especially some of the senior guys) were terribly ordinary.

Twodogs
26-05-2021, 08:20 PM
BTW the last three 100 point margin games have been by us. Essendon, North and St Kilda.

jeemak
26-05-2021, 09:30 PM
You're talking about the singer from Silverchair.

Not John Daniels, no.

Twodogs
26-05-2021, 10:14 PM
Not John Daniels, no.

Did you know that he is related to Caleb Daniels? Cousins I think.

Dry Rot
27-05-2021, 09:59 PM
St Kilda uses Deliveroo to make their team selections, which might explain a lot

https://www.saints.com.au/news/945811/deliveroo-team-selection-debutant-among-four-changes-to-take-on-roos

bornadog
27-05-2021, 10:23 PM
St Kilda uses Deliveroo to make their team selections, which might explain a lot

https://www.saints.com.au/news/945811/deliveroo-team-selection-debutant-among-four-changes-to-take-on-roos

They said they would swing the axe, but 3 out due to injury and dropped 2

Bulldog Joe
27-05-2021, 10:38 PM

and avoided the real culprits.

They really needed to make an example with Brad Hill

Dry Rot
27-05-2021, 11:19 PM
They really needed to make an example with Brad Hill

They do not want to damage their VFL team.

macca
28-05-2021, 12:40 AM

They swung the axe, but there was nothing but dead wood left!

Their list is totally stuffed, they cannot even drop Hill. Geeze, Freeman might have been a handy pickup.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2021, 03:02 PM
Ratten came out today and essentially said they don't have enough depth to drop anyone!

Thought he was going to say it was because of COVID seeing as though no VFL means the dropped players couldn't play this weekend.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 04:02 PM
Ratten came out today and essentially said they don't have enough depth to drop anyone!

Thought he was going to say it was because of COVID seeing as though no VFL means the dropped players couldn't play this weekend.

What they have to tell themselves to sleep at night. They don’t want the headlines of dropping Hill which they should’ve done. I mean, we dropped Tom Boyd in 2016 and he came back a different player late in the season to the GF. We did a similar thing with Stringer too. No one should be safe from pathetic performance no matter their surname or salary. I guess that’s why we are at where we are at and they’re a dumpster fire.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 04:13 PM
Remember those crazy rumours about us chasing Jack Lonie. If they were true thank god we woke up. Averaging over 8 games just 12 disposals, two tackles and a grand total 4 goals, 4 behinds. His four goals came in two games, so 6 games he’s gone goalless. As an experienced forward.

He’s every chance to be delisted. And I’m even more wrapt he’s not clogging up our list.

Bulldog Joe
28-05-2021, 04:21 PM
Remember those crazy rumours about us chasing Jack Lonie. If they were true thank god we woke up. Averaging over 8 games just 12 disposals, two tackles and a grand total 4 goals, 4 behinds. His four goals came in two games, so 6 games he’s gone goalless. As an experienced forward.

He’s every chance to be delisted. And I’m even more wrapt he’s not clogging up our list.

Also a very good reason to not be too concerned with other clubs cast offs

How many were bemoaning us missing Dan Butler. He should have been dropped ahead of Bytel at least.

Happy Days
28-05-2021, 04:35 PM

I was into it but had doubts over his quickness, which has become all the more important for players in his spot. He’s fallen way behind and seems destined to kick 200 goals in the VAFA next year.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2021, 04:56 PM
I was into it but had doubts over his quickness, which has become all the more important for players in his spot. He’s fallen way behind and seems destined to kick 200 goals in the VAFA next year.

What leads to players such as Butler, Lloyd, Gowers etc??

Fringe player at a club after having done some random good things for them. Gets traded to another club and in the first year absolutely kills it to win the goal kicking. Then after that they plummet back to their typical lows and soon enough delisted from recognition. I find it strange how they can play good enough to lead a club in goal kicking for a year and then basically vanish after that.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2021, 10:53 AM
What they have to tell themselves to sleep at night. They don’t want the headlines of dropping Hill which they should’ve done. I mean, we dropped Tom Boyd in 2016 and he came back a different player late in the season to the GF. We did a similar thing with Stringer too. No one should be safe from pathetic performance no matter their surname or salary. I guess that’s why we are at where we are at and they’re a dumpster fire.

I was wrong on Hill. His 6 disposals in 103 minutes of time on field was clearly the difference in beating North by 20 points.

DOG GOD
30-05-2021, 10:58 AM
I was wrong on Hill. His 6 disposals in 103 minutes of time on field was clearly the difference in beating North by 20 points.
I never thought Ratten to be a weak coach, but it seems he is. Hill should’ve been made an example of 4 weeks ago, and where to now for the match committee. A saints friend of mine said Hill should be dropped but they only had 28 players to choose from against NM. I replied “yeah but some young kid playing his first game would’ve got more than 6 disposals against NM”. Ratten needs to pull some heads in...very very quickly.

GVGjr
30-05-2021, 12:34 PM
There are some things to learn from both the Saints this year and us last season.

The Saints haven't been able to get the two ruckman that served them well last season on the park on a regular basis and we have looked a lot better since embracing having two ruckman in the line-up.

We stuck with the out of form Bruce last year and the Saints are doing the same this year with Hill. I think it sends a bad message across the playing group when players are selected regardless of form.

When we played poorly last year we coughed up some big losses and the Saints are doing the same this year.

After winning a final last year and having an impressive season the Saints thought it was just a case of topping up for 2021 and in comparison we added the experience of Martin, Treloar, Hannan and of course the number one draft pick.
Who knows what our approach to managing the list will be at the end of this season but there could be some lessons to learn from the way the Saints went about it.

For me, I think it just goes to show how quickly form and therefore the perception of how strong your list is can change at a club.

DOG GOD
30-05-2021, 02:44 PM
There are some things to learn from both the Saints this year and us last season.

The Saints haven't been able to get the two ruckman that served them well last season on the park on a regular basis and we have looked a lot better since embracing having two ruckman in the line-up.

We stuck with the out of form Bruce last year and the Saints are doing the same this year with Hill. I think it sends a bad message across the playing group when players are selected regardless of form.

When we played poorly last year we coughed up some big losses and the Saints are doing the same this year.

After winning a final last year and having an impressive season the Saints thought it was just a case of topping up for 2021 and in comparison we added the experience of Martin, Treloar, Hannan and of course the number one draft pick.
Who knows what our approach to managing the list will be at the end of this season but there could be some lessons to learn from the way the Saints went about it.

For me, I think it just goes to show how quickly form and therefore the perception of how strong your list is can change at a club.

And it would be the confidence Marshall/Ryder would’ve brought to the group. At one stage both weren’t playing and the team looked VFL standard. Hill, butler, coffield and a few others, look shadows of their former selves. With no defensive pressure Howard looks like a deer in headlights after looking so strong last year. The new additions of Higgins and Crouch haven’t set the world on fire. My saints mate reckons they are in for some serious pain if they can’t get Marshall back to 100% fitness.

bornadog
27-01-2023, 03:47 PM
Carlton legend Stephen Silvagni has been announced as St Kilda's new list manager.

Good luck with that one.

GVGjr
27-01-2023, 04:17 PM
Carlton legend Stephen Silvagni has been announced as St Kilda's new list manager.

Good luck with that one.

He's a good list manager.

Did I hear Gubby Allan is also heading their way?

They've done very well with their additions to the club.

Grantysghost
27-01-2023, 04:27 PM

Good luck with that one.

GWS fringe players have entered the chat.

The Underdog
27-01-2023, 04:31 PM

Good luck with that one.

So all the A listers get poached by Richmond and the failed 1st rounders go to St Kilda instead of Carlton. Got it.

soupman
28-01-2023, 11:20 PM
GWS fringe players have entered the chat.

Does Silvagni show his versatility and add Carlton fringe guys to his shortlist too?

The more I think about it Mitch McGovern is right up St.Kilda's alley.

bornadog
29-01-2023, 12:08 AM
SOS was an assistant coach to Lyon at Saints many moons ago.

bornadog
30-01-2023, 04:24 PM
Geoff Walsh stepping down as Chief of Football at Saints only months since being appointed.

So they have lost in the off season

* List Manager
* CEO
* Head of Footy
* Head Coach

GVGjr
30-01-2023, 04:25 PM
Geoff Walsh stepping down as Chief of Football at Saints only months since being appointed.

Well that is a blow to their off field recruiting. I wonder why?

bornadog
30-01-2023, 04:27 PM
Well that is a blow to their off field recruiting. I wonder why?

He says Personal reasons

see article here (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/geoff-walsh-stepping-down-as-saints-head-of-football-20230130-p5cgjl.html)

GVGjr
30-01-2023, 04:29 PM
He says Personal reasons

see article here (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/geoff-walsh-stepping-down-as-saints-head-of-football-20230130-p5cgjl.html)

Thanks, just saw that.

Mofra
31-01-2023, 05:03 PM
Adding SOS to a club that has tried to trade their way into a rebuild is a dangerous move.
It's not fringe GWS guys he'll seek out, it's fringe Carlton guys. Some of them are decent footballers who I like watching (Fisher, Cuningham) but not the types you build a club around.

GVGjr
31-01-2023, 05:13 PM
Adding SOS to a club that has tried to trade their way into a rebuild is a dangerous move.
It's not fringe GWS guys he'll seek out, it's fringe Carlton guys. Some of them are decent footballers who I like watching (Fisher, Cuningham) but not the types you build a club around.

I listened to a lot of trade radio last year and SOS was on there a fair bit and while I think he did a good job when he was at Carlton and got plenty of deals done in terms of trades etc I was really surprised that he was so far off the mark on his knowledge of how deals might be struck last year. The way he valued picks vs players was way off. Clearly he hadn't stayed on top on the changes in the footy world during his time away from the list management.

He will get back up to speed quickly enough.

bornadog
02-02-2023, 06:02 PM
Stephen Silvagni has turned to Carlton’s VFL list to address St Kilda’s shortage of tall forwards.

19yo Anthony Caminiti has been added to the Saints’ squad and will trial for the vacant list spot before the February 15 deadline

Axe Man
02-02-2023, 06:34 PM
Stephen Silvagni has turned to Carlton’s VFL list to address St Kilda’s shortage of tall forwards.

19yo Anthony Caminiti has been added to the Saints’ squad and will trial for the vacant list spot before the February 15 deadline

And so it begins. I heard Fev has dusted off his boots in anticipation.

Grantysghost
02-02-2023, 06:45 PM
And so it begins. I heard Fev has dusted off his boots in anticipation.

He really does his homework; a vast network of spies at his behest.

azabob
02-05-2023, 02:30 PM
Talk that their Head of Performance Nick Walsh has also resigned.

azabob
02-05-2023, 02:31 PM

He's been a bloody good pick up for them. Hopefully he can add some more versatility to his game. Exciting pack mark.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-05-2023, 02:34 PM

Not getting along with Ross the boss? Wouldn't be the first time.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-05-2023, 02:37 PM
He's been a bloody good pick up for them. Hopefully he can add some more versatility to his game. Exciting pack mark.

It's pretty crazy how many of the saints' current best players have come from nowhere. Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie, Marshall, Wood all either rookies or delistings. Now this guy is becoming one of their most exciting forwards. Just a pinch behind Cordy.

Dogs 24/7
02-05-2023, 03:11 PM

He resigned on Sunday and Id like to know why.

Dogs 24/7
02-05-2023, 03:12 PM
Not getting along with Ross the boss? Wouldn't be the first time.

Has that been confirmed?

NoseBleed
02-05-2023, 03:18 PM
Has that been confirmed?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/st-kilda-saints/afl-2023-nick-walsh-walsh-departs-st-kilda-saints-fitness-boss-announcement-latest-news/news-story/3cfd6b0b60ffcada50bc47b9e5f5b938

Dogs 24/7
02-05-2023, 03:20 PM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/st-kilda-saints/afl-2023-nick-walsh-walsh-departs-st-kilda-saints-fitness-boss-announcement-latest-news/news-story/3cfd6b0b60ffcada50bc47b9e5f5b938

It was more about Ross being the reason why he left.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-05-2023, 03:26 PM
Has that been confirmed?

No just me speculating. It's a "sudden" departure and Lyon is known to be hard to work with if you don't fall in line.

macca
02-05-2023, 05:27 PM
It's pretty crazy how many of the saints' current best players have come from nowhere. Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie, Marshall, Wood all either rookies or delistings. Now this guy is becoming one of their most exciting forwards. Just a pinch behind Cordy.

I like what I saw of Mitch Owen. He knows how to use his body to take a mark. Has a quiet confidence about himself.
Great pick up at pick 31 in 2021 draft , his played 7 games last year, and 7 this year.

His a real talent.

the ones you mentioned BT have been fantastic pickups. I can't believe how good Wood is playing now. I really do wonder what has changed it around ? He looked like he had all the physical attributes and talent to make it at North, but never seemed to make it consistent.

I am almost tempted to say Cody has been a good pickup. Hangon.. stats show, he has he kicked 2 goals against us, the only team which his kicked multiple goals. :( and 7 hitouts in that game

GVGjr
02-05-2023, 05:42 PM
I like what I saw of Mitch Owen. He knows how to use his body to take a mark. Has a quiet confidence about himself.
Great pick up at pick 31 in 2021 draft , his played 7 games last year, and 7 this year.

His a real talent.

the ones you mentioned BT have been fantastic pickups. I can't believe how good Wood is playing now. I really do wonder what has changed it around ? He looked like he had all the physical attributes and talent to make it at North, but never seemed to make it consistent.

I am almost tempted to say Cody has been a good pickup. Hangon.. stats show, he has he kicked 2 goals against us, the only team which his kicked multiple goals. :( and 7 hitouts in that game

Hasn't he stood out this year? Really impressive.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-05-2023, 06:20 PM

His a real talent.

The switch to defence has worked wonders for Wood. Another in the Liam Jones mould who had all the hype as a forward but has made their craft in defence.

I was keen on Mason after his delisting.

azabob
02-05-2023, 07:25 PM
The switch to defence has worked wonders for Wood. Another in the Liam Jones mould who had all the hype as a forward but has made their craft in defence.

I was keen on Mason after his delisting.

Mason Wood is playing more a wing role but absolutely killing it.

macca
02-05-2023, 09:01 PM
MASON Looked pretty good for 3 quarters , took some good marks and kicked a goal
He is a good mark has the height and strength to hold a contest, looks like has ability to run.

Even Liam stokker is starting to perform at afl level

The saints should have won that game except for the 2 errors:
- kicking into dixon
- 2 mins to go constantly bombing into the fwd line. Membrey was very frustrarted when he had 2-1 contest
Ports kicking to keep posession was on my wish list for us.

Stevo
03-05-2023, 04:24 PM
Mason Wood is playing more a wing role but absolutely killing it.

Hasnt he come good? Impressive performances.

Axe Man
03-05-2023, 05:36 PM

Just as well since many of their early picks have been disappointing.

However Jack Steele doesn't belong on that list. Pick 24 (academy pick) for GWS and traded to St Kilda for a second round pick because the giants had crazy midfield depth back then.

Mofra
03-05-2023, 09:37 PM

However Jack Steele doesn't belong on that list. Pick 24 (academy pick) for GWS and traded to St Kilda for a second round pick because the giants had crazy midfield depth back then.
Weirdly, Jack Steele really really wanted to stay at GWS. They pushed out the wrong mid considering who they lost after him

macca
04-05-2023, 10:23 AM

His been a fantastic recruit for them , given his awards . PLAYED 127 games for saints

Highlights:

2x all aus
X2 revor barker award
Co-captain

Not bad for pick 24 !