PDA

View Full Version : Rating The Trade Period

bulldogtragic
16-10-2019, 08:16 PM
Picks 13, 53, 89 (or La Young upgraded)

Bruce:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=16&playerStatus2=A&tid2=6&type=A&pid1=3771&pid2=3804&fid1=C&fid2=C

One was Picks 32 & 51. The other is alledegly worth picks 5 & 9.

We have flipped Marcus Adams (32 & 51) into Josh Bruce (32 & 51)

Keath:

Of all key-defenders in 2019, Alex Keath ranked 1st for contested possessions (7), 4th for intercepts (8.3) and 5th for disposals (16.3) per game? On average, only McGovern, Rampe, Davis, Frost and Aliir won more possession from an opposition disposal.

Most Brownlow votes of any key defenders this year despite injury.

Pick 45 and swapping future 2nd/3rd (small points gap if Adelaide do poorly - could be DVI = Pick 63. Small)

Pre: 13, 32, 45, 51, 53, 89
Now: 13, 53, 89 - Keath & Bruce for a mere 32, 45 & 51 - 1 X 2nd, 2 X 3rds (very minor swap next year)

Five list spots: Likely Roberts & Webb delisted. Dickson retained.

Missed Jack Martin. But still holding Pick 13 and $700,000 or more in available salary cap to target free agents next year.

Outrageously good. Factoring in keeping 13 and 53, and the quality ins at CHB and CHF this could be one of our best trade periods in context.

dukedog
16-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Very solid effort. Very impressed with key targets. No one will replace moz. But moz is coach now. So it's the next best thing. Be nice to have a small zippy forward in draft. Well done boys

The Doctor
16-10-2019, 08:40 PM
have to be happy with our lot. We got the boys we wanted and held on to our sought after pick 13. It must have been tough and a lot of pressure but the job got done.

comrade
16-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Rapt.

G-Mo77
16-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Excellent result. Didn't think we could do it without splitting that pick 13. Power silently pulled off a remarkable trade.period. Power: Silent, but deadly.

How does the future pick effect us next season. This was my only concern?

choconmientay
16-10-2019, 08:45 PM
nerves of steel

chef
16-10-2019, 08:46 PM
A+++

Testekill
16-10-2019, 08:47 PM
10 on 10

Got who we wanted, didn't lose any required players and still hold pick 13.

Eastdog
16-10-2019, 08:49 PM
Great result. Didn’t really lose too much at all apart from obviously Boyd, Picko and Morris who were retirements. Feel real good keeping pick 13.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Excellent result. Didn't think we could do it without splitting that pick 13. Power silently pulled off a remarkable trade.period. Power: Silent, but deadly.

How does the future pick effect us next season. This was my only concern?

My guesstimate is the points equal to about pick 63.

Like Carlton this year, root for lots of Adelaide losses and narrow the gap. No need for concern.

lemmon
16-10-2019, 09:03 PM
9.5/10. Identified players that would make us better then went and got 'em.

Could there have been the potential to sneak in on a Papley or Martin? Not sure, but very happy with our lot.

bornadog
16-10-2019, 09:10 PM
We were nervous but the team came through. Wow two KPPs and another youngster

Bumper Bulldogs
16-10-2019, 09:19 PM
Im really excited and think that Sam has delivered in spades, I'm not in the know (but would be interested one to find out) the amount of work that went into these two guys (and others we missed out on) over the course of the year.

I think back 2 years and with Adams, Boyd, Picken we were set. Loved the deals and the people we targeted to fill these gaps that came from left field. I think the last few years have been good to load up with Kids and we certainly have got games into them, now we are set to pounce,

Targets now at 13 will be the best of who's around and then after that we really need some hardness and meanness to complement our skill set.

Merry Christmas Bevo your second premiership on a silver platter!

hujsh
16-10-2019, 09:49 PM
It's great to have an off season that looks like letting us say that we didn't lose anyone who made a significant contribution to our performance this year (Picken Boyd and Morris the notable losses but none really played) and we've picked up players who will improve our best 22. It's all positive right now.

Remi Moses
16-10-2019, 09:52 PM
Definitely an A
Didn’t blink at all ,and a smart operator
I think They’re both steals
Keath by starting later probably has a few extra years in his prime

Mofra
16-10-2019, 10:03 PM
Would have been nice to find a small forward or gut running winger, but to keep pick 13 and add two genuine marking talents at either end of the ground is an outstanding effort. We have done very very well here.

Mantis
16-10-2019, 10:24 PM
Very happy with both our strategy & execution... Excellent result.

kruder
16-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Would have been nice to find a small forward or gut running winger, but to keep pick 13 and add two genuine marking talents at either end of the ground is an outstanding effort. We have done very very well here.

Is there a Rozee lurking around 13 Mofra?

bulldogtragic
17-10-2019, 12:05 AM
Fox:

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Who left: Nil

Who arrived: Josh Bruce, Alex Keath

Draft picks owned: 13, 53, 89

Leigh Montagna says: Bruce and Keath, they were the two they targeting. Very close to a A+. They’ve got the bookends now. I think they are a big chance for top four, they should be pushing for the flag. They’ve kept their Pick 13. Their midfield is primed.

Grade: A

choconmientay
17-10-2019, 12:24 AM
Hear from Sam about the trade period

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-10-16/power-were-rapt-to-have-them-on-board

jeemak
17-10-2019, 12:32 AM
Fantastic outcome for our club.

Kept it targeted and basically on track. Each trade's give balanced the other's out, that we're viewed as a top four aspirant with our list age profile and turnover of key players in such a small time is a testament to a football department that seems to be ticking along again. Sure it isn't a perfect football department, but I think it punches above its weight.

Esserden probably reckons it won trade week. I'm not sure who did but we hit our targets and that's what winning trade week should be.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2019, 02:18 AM
Did we get the best CHB and the best CHF traded this year? Yes.

CHB: Keath (AA before injury, elite year despite injuries), Frost (solid without anything special), Howard (still unsure if he's a defender or forward as were Port)

CHF: Bruce (36-50 goals, 4/5 years), Jenkins (31 next year, cooked as a genuine KPF), Patton (only kicked more than 25 goals twice)

Flicking through Twitter, there's a lot of unhappy and/or very disappointed Saints fans over losing Bruce. St Kilda are banking on fans not staying with that emotion, but it reads like to many he was a 'heart and soul' player to many of their fans. I feel for them moreso, as David King has said we got him for a steal. It sucks, but it's the round about. We lost Hamling for unders, and then got Crozier, Lloyd & Bruce for unders. To our fans, enjoy it while we are on the right end of it.

You get the sense that if a team tries the bully boy shit with Bruce around, he's not going to tolerate that shit for a second. Protecting the younger guys but an example to fly the flag and give as good as you're getting. And kick a bunch of goals a week.

Pre-season got interesting again. What will the 'top four' predictions mean for attitudes, motovation and pressure in the group I wonder? Hopefully good things striving to be better and better, while Stringer plays with a disinterested Daniher and Dahl is roving Josh Jenkins.

dog town
17-10-2019, 06:26 AM
Would have been nice to find a small forward or gut running winger, but to keep pick 13 and add two genuine marking talents at either end of the ground is an outstanding effort. We have done very very well here. Yeah I am pretty surprised we haven’t addressed this but you can’t win everything. We may find a small forward through the draft but the outside run needed to come from a trade I thought.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-10-2019, 08:04 AM
Yeah I am pretty surprised we haven’t addressed this but you can’t win everything. We may find a small forward through the draft but the outside run needed to come from a trade I thought.

I think now with the two book ends done. Bevo will sit down start looking at the ability and roles other will play. Can Richards become that outside winged we are looking for. Can Maclean become that forward pocket look in type.

They have all ore season to get use to it and train fir it. I’m sure we will be fine

hujsh
17-10-2019, 03:52 PM
I'm still pretty chuffed with how yesterday played out. Rarely have I had an opinion about what would be fair or good for us in a deal and it works out that that's essentially how the deal plays out. Add that it's for 2 good players that fill needs and it's hard not to tip the hat to Power

Mofra
17-10-2019, 04:19 PM
Yeah I am pretty surprised we haven’t addressed this but you can’t win everything. We may find a small forward through the draft but the outside run needed to come from a trade I thought.
I guess there is always a player that just bobs up and surprises, happens every year.

Vandermeer after a pre-season? Stats don't do him justice, there's just something about the way he plays that suggests he can make it as an AFL footballer.
Very quick, but starts the play from a stoppage/kick very quickly too. McLean learns to play wing? Stranger things have happened.

divvydan
17-10-2019, 04:31 PM
The only negative from the trade period is losing points for next year (Rd 2 down to a Rd 3). Hopefully the bottom drops out of Adelaide and the gap is only 5-10picks. Everything else is as good as we could've possibly gone.

Bulldog Joe
17-10-2019, 04:37 PM
The only negative from the trade period is losing points for next year (Rd 2 down to a Rd 3). Hopefully the bottom drops out of Adelaide and the gap is only 5-10picks. Everything else is as good as we could've possibly gone.

My ideal is 1 pick difference and I don't consider that to be impossible.

comrade
17-10-2019, 04:48 PM

2020 brings the added fun of deathriding the Crows.

bornadog
17-10-2019, 05:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHDblNLU8AIoCgL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

AshMac
17-10-2019, 06:06 PM
Pretty happy w this years trade period. Have a suspicion we were always thinking 32 might not be enough for Bruce.

Good result, would have liked to trade 53 rather than next years second, sure Sam led with that.

Overall - great result. Be interested to see if we trade out 13 in the picks trading period, or if we were staunch about taking it to the draft.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Uncomfortably good. Dare to dream good.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Breaking. BlackSoul says something complimentary about our club and it’s staff:

IF: he has never sought a profile ...
THEN: that's not surprising given the way he and his family is wired. But Dogs' list and recruiting manager Sam Power deserves massive plaudits for the clear plan going into Trade Period, and even more for its execution.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Christmas NY will be good this year, Jan, Feb anticipatory. March will be one of the great Marches.

LostDoggy
19-10-2019, 07:49 AM
Best trade period since before JMac.

Power has for the first time in a long time:

1 -.convinced multiple best 22 players from other clubs to come
2 - has convinced not one but two proven best 22 KPs to come is unheard.of
3 -did not over pay
4 - did not lose any best 30 player
5 - no leaks or running commentaries

This trade period has been amazingly good on so many fronts.

A real 'feather' in Sammie"s cap.

After the grim JMac years was fully expecting to lose P13, what a surprise it was to see us keep it. And trading.out a second rd pick next yr will come to be seen as a masterstroke as the most compromised draft since GWS' entry will see mid to late second picks in 2020 effectively become 3rd Rd picks.

But the real change under Power has been his ability to attract decent KPs. Unheard.of. A++++

comrade
19-10-2019, 07:56 AM

Power has for first the time in a long time:

1 -.convinced multiple.best.22 players from other clubs to come
2 - has convinced not.one but two proven best 22 KPs to come is unheard.of
3 -did not.over.pay
4 - did not lose any best 30.players

A real feather in Sammie"s call.

After the grim JMac years was fully expecting to lose P13 what a.surprise it was to see us keep.it. And.trading.out. A second rd pick next yr will be seen as a masterstroke as the most compromised draft since GWS' entry will see mid to late second picks in 2020 effectively become 3rd Rd picks.

But the real change.under Power.has been his ability to attract decent KPs. Unheard.of. A++++

Once Reid dug his heels in, JMac would have folded like a cheap suit. Look at the deal he did for Bonar - earlier in the trade period he was claiming a top 30 pick as fair. Gets to the deadline and settles for a swap of future 3rd & 4ths.

Very happy to slammin’ Sammy Power in the hot seat.

The Adelaide Connection
19-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Power has for the first time in a long time:

1 -.convinced multiple best 22 players from other clubs to come
2 - has convinced not one but two proven best 22 KPs to come is unheard.of
3 -did not over pay
4 - did not lose any best 30 player
5 - no leaks or running commentaries

A real 'feather' in Sammie"s cap.

After the grim JMac years was fully expecting to lose P13, what a surprise it was to see us keep it. And trading.out a second rd pick next yr will come to be seen as a masterstroke as the most compromised draft since GWS' entry will see mid to late second picks in 2020 effectively become 3rd Rd picks.

But the real change under Power has been his ability to attract decent KPs. Unheard.of. A++++

If all goes to plan the difference between these picks will be minimal, with the Crows likely to drop like a lead balloon and our mob hopefully getting right to the pointy end.

Sedat
19-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Once Reid dug his heels in, JMac would have folded like a cheap suit. Look at the deal he did for Bonar - earlier in the trade period he was claiming a top 30 pick as fair. Gets to the deadline and settles for a swap of future 3rd & 4ths.
The only outlier with J-Mac is the Shiel deal. He completely bent Dodoro over a barrel 12 months ago, which is why the Dodo was never going to budge on Daniher this time around.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-10-2019, 03:42 PM
Met a fellow Doggies member today who said she got a memo that said no delistings (as opposed to none yet). Anyone in the know?

bulldogtragic
23-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Met a fellow Doggies member today who said she got a memo that said no delistings (as opposed to none yet). Anyone in the know?

Answered in another thread. We need to delist at least two main listed players as a matter of course. Maybe follow up with 'how is that possible?'

BornInDroopSt'54
23-10-2019, 04:39 PM
Cheers her heart was in the right place, she said she was a member of the Geelong bus that shuttles to Marvel and back and we couldn't stop talking.

Twodogs
24-10-2019, 12:14 PM
Cheers her heart was in the right place, she said she was a member of the Geelong bus that shuttles to Marvel and back and we couldn't stop talking.

The Barwon Bulldogs?

BornInDroopSt'54
24-10-2019, 02:28 PM
The Barwon Bulldogs?
Thems the ones.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2019, 09:53 AM
So I'm broadening the question of the thread to rating our list management period for all 5 players incoming:

Trade: Bruce (KPF), Keath (KPD)
Draft: Weightman (Sml Fwd), Butler (HBF/Wing), Garcia (Mid)

Bulldog Joe
03-12-2019, 09:57 AM
We need time to rate the draft.

I believe our list is a good one, but we now need results on field.

bornadog
03-12-2019, 09:57 AM
So I'm broadening the question of the thread to rating our list management period for all 5 players incoming:

Bruce and Keath a great get and will only make us a stronger team.

As for the three draftees, time will tell.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Bruce and Keath a great get and will only make us a stronger team.

As for the three draftees, time will tell.

CHF & CHB are huge gets. Yeah, ultimately time will help with the ultimate assessment of the three draftees. But I'm happy to note that Twomey, Doerre & Buckanara all rated Weightmman as the number two small forward in the draft (after Henry who was tied to Freo). So that's a big tick for talent and addressing a need with the Pick 13 Sam Power fought so hard to keep, while acquiring Bruce & Keath. And we added some draftee depth along the HBF/wing/mid with later picks. I'm happy to say that this is one of the much better list management periods.

GVGjr
03-12-2019, 10:33 AM

It's an interesting question you pose but broken down I see it this way:

Trade:
The question marks:
Did we actually need Bruce given we already had 2 key forwards?
Did we actually need Keath given he is another key intercept defender?

Summary: I'm still a fan of the recruitment but I don't think they were necessarily ideal additions.
We got them for a reasonable price and they will contribute straight away

A big tick for the recruitment for mine

Draft:
The question marks:
Did we need 3 smaller types?

Weightman fills a position we don't think we have the right types of players for on our list but from a best available perspective perhaps we missed an opportunity
Butler is another half back type and we have a lot of depth there
Garcia will take time both to recover from his injury and to develop the required strength

Summary: Decent players and given our draft position it's hard to be critical of the selections.
We should have tried to land a key position player

Another tick but a cautious one from me.

Axe Man
03-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Butler is another half back type and we have a lot of depth there

In the article I posted it says Butler is expected to settle on a wing - certainly an area of need. Not sure if that's from a club source or Sam Landsberger's own summation.

Twodogs
03-12-2019, 12:05 PM
Another tick but a cautious one from me.

Agreed. It looks like a good trade period but how many trade periods have we said that about?

Lets wait and see. Also how the draft picks we actually gave away go at their clubs too.

Mofra
04-12-2019, 10:42 AM
In the article I posted it says Butler is expected to settle on a wing - certainly an area of need. Not sure if that's from a club source or Sam Landsberger's own summation.
Sam Power's comments if I recall. He was at the pointy end of the 2km time trial at the combine.

Mofra
04-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Trade:
The question marks:
Did we actually need Bruce given we already had 2 key forwards?
Did we actually need Keath given he is another key intercept defender?

Summary: I'm still a fan of the recruitment but I don't think they were necessarily ideal additions.
We got them for a reasonable price and they will contribute straight away
I don't think Schache is a key forward simply because he's tall.

We spent a lot of the 2019 season bemoaning the lack of genuine KPD quality on our list and Cordy struggled for periods during the season. Personally I think they were both brilliant areas to target for us.

Small forward and wing were two other areas of need - we picked up Weightman and Bulter to develop into those two areas respectively. I assume Garcia is there for 'burst speed' so as a speculative late pick we could do worse. I really rate Vendermeer as a similar zippy type so a late developing KPD must have been a consideration as well with our last pick.

GVGjr
04-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Sam Power's comments if I recall. He was at the pointy end of the 2km time trial at the combine.

Good endurance but he also tested in the lower bracket for the 3 sprints
I'm not sure how relevant those sprint tests are.

whythelongface
04-12-2019, 11:57 AM
I don't think Schache is a key forward simply because he's tall.

We spent a lot of the 2019 season bemoaning the lack of genuine KPD quality on our list and Cordy struggled for periods during the season. Personally I think they were both brilliant areas to target for us.

Small forward and wing were two other areas of need - we picked up Weightman and Bulter to develop into those two areas respectively. I assume Garcia is there for 'burst speed' so as a speculative late pick we could do worse. I really rate Vendermeer as a similar zippy type so a late developing KPD must have been a consideration as well with our last pick.

This. Thought both Bruce and Keath were needed players and are fantastic additions to the team. We were crying out for another tall defender and we have ticked this box. Keath may be more of an intercept defender but can also play a one on one role adequately. I think he ticks all our needs and provides freedom for Wood as well as allowing Cordy to play on the 3rd tall. We now have three exceptional intercept defenders in our midst which will mean more attacking options of the HBF.

Bruce for mine provides the perfect foil for Naughton. Having both in the forward line will provide two strong marking targets that will cause many headaches for the opposition. Throw in the likes of Dale, Lloyd, Dickson and any of our other smaller forwards and we have a very potent forward line. Then we have Schache who can play a variety of roles in the forward line. I am confident Bruce will prove to be an exceptional pick up.

In the scheme of things this trade period rates as possibly our best trade period on a needs basis. The only addition that we missed out on was a fast link/ wingman, however as others have stated we potentially have one or two players in the mix to take on this role in the future eg. Williams or Garcia.

bulldogtragic
05-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Twomey has posted a full length inside running on the first round. It's long and not much relates to us. But the summary as it relates to us:

- Melbourne debated Pickett vs Weightman with Pick 10.
- With Pickett & Bergman gone, our only apparent small debate was Weightman vs Kemp.

jeemak
05-12-2019, 03:51 PM
I don't see how landing Bruce and Keith could be seen as anything but a fantastic result for us given what we paid for them and what they can possibly bring to the team.

Especially with Bruce, when on the park which has been four out of the last five seasons he has averaged 40 goals a year. That's good going, and if he can assist in the ruck it's even better.

Axe Man
05-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Twomey has posted a full length inside running on the first round. It's long and not much relates to us. But the summary as it relates to us:

- Melbourne debated Pickett vs Weightman with Pick 10.
- With Pickett & Bergman gone, our only apparent small debate was Weightman vs Kemp.

It's an interesting article with the decisions by clubs at the top of the draft and the various pick trades shaping the choices of the clubs with later picks.

Sounds like our draft board for our first pick (ignoring the players that were never going to make it to our pick) was:
1. Pickett
2. Bergman
3. Weightman
4. Kemp

bornadog
05-12-2019, 04:10 PM
I don't see how landing Bruce and Keith could be seen as anything but a fantastic result for us given what we paid for them and what they can possibly bring to the team.

Especially with Bruce, when on the park which has been four out of the last five seasons he has averaged 40 goals a year. That's good going, and if he can assist in the ruck it's even better.

Wood was saying last night, in the Gym the players have a competition how many repetitions each player can do lifting their own weight. Bruce is 100kg and did it 14 times. I think we have a beauty on our hands, and as you said, didn't cost much.

Mofra
05-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Wood was saying last night, in the Gym the players have a competition how many repetitions each player can do lifting their own weight. Bruce is 100kg and did it 14 times. I think we have a beauty on our hands, and as you said, didn't cost much.
What lift, bench?

If it was a squat or deadlift I'd be mighty disappointed in him.

bulldogtragic
05-12-2019, 04:37 PM
It's an interesting article with the decisions by clubs at the top of the draft and the various pick trades shaping the choices of the clubs with later picks.

Sounds like our draft board for our first pick (ignoring the players that were never going to make it to our pick) was:
1. Pickett
2. Bergman
3. Weightman
4. Kemp

'Twas an interesting read. Melbourne were apparently interested in Weightman before all the Pickett hype started. Interesting they were still interested to some degree. It's interesting they went so hard at Jamie Elliott and the closest drafted to play that way is Weightman and they passed on him. I hope they regret passing on Weightman. That does seems like our talent order from Twomey.

comrade
05-12-2019, 06:07 PM
What lift, bench?

If it was a squat or deadlift I'd be mighty disappointed in him.

Lol if he can only DL 100kg for 14 reps, Saints conditioning team need to be sacked.

bornadog
05-12-2019, 06:14 PM
Lol if he can only DL 100kg for 14 reps, Saints conditioning team need to be sacked.

Yeah I missed exactly what, but apparently he is very strong.

GVGjr
05-12-2019, 06:40 PM

While I agree with the overall assessment, have you seen Bruce in the ruck? from what I have seen he's not good at it.
The good part is Bevo has conditioned us all to accept part timers regardless if they add a lot of value as a ruckman or not

Most of us will now accept anyone but Bont

bulldogtragic
07-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Draft Central rates our draft:

POISED nicely among the first round, the Western Bulldogs perfectly met the need for a pure small forward with arguably the best available, while filling out flanker depth and taking a punt on a different type of midfielder to their own who is coming off a long-term injury. With only three picks taken in the National Draft and none for the rookie list, the Bulldogs’ haul is short but sweet.

National Draft:
15. Cody Weightman (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country) | 178cm | 75kg | Small Forward
53. Louis Butler (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro) 185cm | 75kg | Medium Defender
62. Riley Garcia (Swan Districts/Western Australia) | 177cm | 70kg | Balanced Midfielder

Rookie Draft:
Nil

Having Cody Weightman available at pick 15 was seemingly the perfect result for the Bulldogs, especially given the Dandenong Stingrays product had toured the Kennel just prior to draft day. With the other considerations in Kysaiah Pickett and Miles Bergman conveniently off the board at that point, Weightman was the natural choice and could make an impact early given the Bulldogs’ shortage of pure small forwards. The all-action, high marking draftee impressed on the big stage for Vic Country with two bags of four goals, showcasing his fearless attack on the ball which suits the Footscray-based side.

The Dogs only re-entered the draft much later on at pick 53, opting for talented runner, Louis Butler. A Vic Metro representative, Butler is another who gets to a number of contests and can rack up the ball across half back. A usually sound and penetrating user of the ball, Butler’s drive could also become an asset through the midfield if a spot is available down the line.

Riley Garcia was the last of the Bulldogs’ picks, taken at number 62 as a good news story out of the National Draft. The small midfielder has loads of ability and can win his own ball, but ended a terrific National Championships on a sour note as he tore his ACL against Vic Country. While he won’t be able to impact straight away given the recovery time, Garcia is a point of difference in the big-bodied Dogs midfield who could be used on on the flanks long-term.

It was an overall sound draft from the Bulldogs, with little to work with but a lot of value coming in and a perfect fit in the first round. Weightman could have an impact straight away, with the other two pick-ups providing some long-term depth.

GVGjr
07-12-2019, 10:07 AM

1. Pickett
2. Bergman
3. Weightman
4. Kemp

I think this is a good assessment of how we rated the players
Kemp was probably rated lower because of hisinjury and I suspect given that we probably had Garcia on the radar and ideally we didn't want to bring in 2 players with knee injuries

GVGjr
07-12-2019, 10:11 AM

We will no doubt play him on a wing abut having seen him play a number of times he does look a more natural fit in the back half. Having a strong endurance base will only assist him transition into other roles
He should have gone earlier in the draft and I think we have nabbed ourselves a quality player.