PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs Past Players

Doc26
14-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Thought I'd share a group picture from last Sunday's WB Past Players AGM.

I do have a left to right name listing of the photo but thought I'd hold out posting it up, giving those game enough to have a crack at a 'Who's Who?' quiz whilst we're in the off-season

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l62nfngkf0zfbf2/Bulldogs%20Past%20Players%20AGM.jpg?raw=1

L-R from them bottom
Row 1
Jack Slattery John Schultz Bernie Lee Owen Madigan Alan Clough Kevin Meadings Kevin Bourke Ray Walker Ian Foreman
Row 2
Alan Stoneham Graeme Cook Dr Jake Landsberger Peter Welsh Doug Hawkins Barry Thornton (directly behind Doug) Simon Beasley Linda Murray Jack Dinatale Ted Whitten Graeme Joslin Alister Ford Ian Bryant
Row 3
Len Cumming Ross Abbey Rick Kennedy Ron McGowan Paul O'Connor
Row 4
Simon Atkins Phillip Okeefe Bernie Quinlan Kelvin Templeton
Row 5
Ilija Grigic Matt Mansfield Andrew Howlett Adrian Campbell
Row 6
Peter Foster Gordon Casey Lindsay Gilbee Simon Minton-Conell
Row 6
Scott West Darren Baxter Zeno Tzatzaris Cameron Wight Dale Morris

comrade
14-11-2019, 06:43 PM
Is that Cam Wight at the back?

GVGjr
14-11-2019, 07:01 PM
There are some good looking roosters in that group

Thanks for sharing Doc, very much appreciated

Twodogs
14-11-2019, 08:29 PM
Scott West at the top of the stairs at the left.

Ted Whitten Jr under the no smoking sign with the arm cast

Eastdog
14-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Lindsay Gilbee, Dale Morris, Ted Whitten Jnr, Scott West, Doug Hawkins, Simon Beasley, John Schultz I can identify.

GVGjr
14-11-2019, 08:35 PM
Rocky Stoneham was one of my favorites and who could forget Simon Minton-Connell. I wonder what Ted Whitten junior did to his arm?

I think one of Twodogs favorites is in that elite group as well and then there is my all time hero

Eastdog
14-11-2019, 08:38 PM
Kelvin Templeton another I see.

Webby
14-11-2019, 08:39 PM
1980 & 81 Brownlow Medallists standing next to each other..

Twodogs
14-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Rocky Stoneham was one of my favorites and who could forget Simon Minton-Connell. I wonder what Ted Whitten junior did to his arm?

I think one of Twodogs favorites is in that elite group as well and then there is my all time hero

KT? I can't see him? Doug Hawkins on the second row in the middle with Simon Beasley with his arm around him. Tony Libba on the rung of the stair behind them on the right hand side.

Twodogs
14-11-2019, 09:00 PM
Anyone want to make a team of the players there?

Backs Egan Morris Wight
H-backs Smith Grant Gilbee
Wings Hawkins West Stoneham
H-F Gia Templeton Ted Whitten Jr
Forward Minton-Connell Beasley Atkins
Rucks Schultz Garlick Libba

I need one more plus an I/C bench. How good is that centreline? The half back line has some talent too. According to Webby I have left out either 1 or 2 brownlow medalists too.

The Underdog
14-11-2019, 09:04 PM
That’s gotta be the Axe halfway up the stairs on the left.

Eastdog
14-11-2019, 09:07 PM
KT? I can't see him? Doug Hawkins on the second row in the middle with Simon Beasley with his arm around him. Tony Libba on the rung of the stair behind them on the right hand side.

KT in the 4th row down on the right.

GVGjr
14-11-2019, 09:16 PM

Sure is

Twodogs
14-11-2019, 09:17 PM
1980 & 81 Brownlow Medallists standing next to each other..

All three of them?

Twodogs
14-11-2019, 09:18 PM

Oh! I can sneak him into my team in the forward pocket.

Twodogs
14-11-2019, 09:19 PM
KT in the 4th row down on the right.

With the glasses? You're right.

merantau
14-11-2019, 10:13 PM
Ian Bryant far right. One of the best drop kicks in the VFL throughout the 60s. He was a terrific wing and centreman.

bornadog
14-11-2019, 10:40 PM
Thanks Doc, I do recognise a few guys, like Ross Abbey, Peter Welsh, and good to see Moz there with Dr Zimmerman. I will let others pick out a few

HOSE B ROMERO
14-11-2019, 11:17 PM
is that peter foster in front of Westy? Is phil o'keefe there?

Doc26
15-11-2019, 09:38 AM
is that peter foster in front of Westy? Is phil o'keefe there?

Yes. Phil O’Keefe is next to Simon Atkins.
Fozzie is in front of Scott West.

Doc26
15-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Is that Cam Wight at the back?

Yes. Cam Wight far back next to Moz.

ledge
15-11-2019, 09:44 AM
A few guys there I was mates with and lived with at times , Zeno Tzatzaris, Phil Okeefe , Alister Ford.

Eastdog
15-11-2019, 12:24 PM
With the glasses? You're right.

Would have been great to be around to see some of these former players in action. KT when he kicked 13 at WO would have been a great match to watch.

Twodogs
15-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Would have been great to be around to see some of these former players in action. KT when he kicked 13 at WO would have been a great match to watch.

It was 15 goals. 15.9 to be exact. Nobody else has had 24 scoring shots in a V/AFL match. Kelvin Templeton is THE greatest player of all time. Carey? Pffft, how many brownlows did he win? Did I miss all the Coleman medals he won?

Put KT in the HOF this year and then put him in the Legends (where he belongs as the first player to win a Coleman and a Brownlow) category next year.

Fix the injustice and apologise to KT now.
(

Eastdog
15-11-2019, 12:33 PM
It was 15 goals. 15.9 to be exact. Nobody else has had 24 scoring shots in a V/AFL match. Kelvin Templeton is THE greatest player of all time. Carey? Pffft, how many brownlows did he win? Did I miss all the Coleman medals he won?

Put KT in the HOF this year and then put him in the Legends (where he belongs as the first player to win a Coleman and a Brownlow) category next year.

Fix the injustice and apologise to KT now.
(

Sorry 15.9 :) It is very rare to score that many goals in the game today. What a player! Also I believe that was our highest ever score in our history that game in 1978.

Eastdog
15-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Is that Dr Jake Landsberger to the left of Doug?

Twodogs
15-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Ian Bryant far right. One of the best drop kicks in the VFL throughout the 60s. He was a terrific wing and centreman.

My dad worked with the rat (Ian Bryant) at Footscray council for years. One day dad came home with a black eye, a split lip and his nose spread halfway across his face. He looked like he had gone 15 rounds with Barry Michael*. I asked him what happened and he said they were having a kick at lunchtime at the council depot and dad says the last thing he remembers is running back with the flight of the ball and the next thing he is in the back of an ambulance.

I said 'How?" and he just said "the rat. He forgot we were just having a kick and thought I was Bobby Skilton I think"

*Funny story about Barry Michael. One night we were in the lift at Marvel stadium and Barry Michael gets in at6 the next floor. He sees the old man and says "Giddaye Norris, how have you been? Geez it's been ages since I ran into you" and dad answers back with "Yeah, giddaye, ummm, mate!" Barry gets off the lift and I said to my dad "You don't know who that is do you?" and dad said "yeah, it's one of the blokes I worked with at the council. I'm buggered if I can remember his name though!" I don't think I have ever laughed so uncontrollably in my life. IOt took me a good five minutes to calm down enough to tell dad that he was actually the featherweight champion of the world, not just 'some bloke I worked with at the council!"

Dancin' Douggy
15-11-2019, 03:07 PM
To Douggie's left. Is that doctor Jake Landsberger?

Eastdog
15-11-2019, 04:28 PM
To Douggie's left. Is that doctor Jake Landsberger?

Yes I believe it is. A WB premiership doctor along with Dr Gary Zimmerman.

Doc26
15-11-2019, 05:16 PM
2 Brownlow Medalists in the 4th row, of 4 players.

Bulldog4life
16-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Here is one from left field. The guy on the left of Simon Beasley with the hat is Paul O'Connor who played Under 19's with Footscray.

Doc26
16-11-2019, 04:46 PM
Here is one from left field. The guy on the left of Simon Beasley with the hat is Paul O'Connor who played Under 19's with Footscray.

Good get B4L.

Not sure how complete the list is but I’ve just posted up all the names under the picture on the first page.

Bulldog4life
16-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Good get B4L.

Not sure how complete the list is but I’ve just posted up all the names under the picture on the first page.

Wasn't that great to be honest Doc. I have seen his photo before and remembered him. A fantastic photo though.

ledge
17-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Good get B4L.

I have Paul on Facebook, 99% of his posts are about Footscray football club, past player meet ups mostly.
His brother was at the dogs too.

Twodogs
17-11-2019, 11:47 AM
I have Paul on Facebook, 99% of his posts are about Footscray football club, past player meet ups mostly.

Yeah me too. It's a great page that one with the ex players.

Bulldog4life
17-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Think he was at Geelong but followed Bluey Hampshire to the dogs.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-11-2019, 03:37 PM
This picture of the past players makes the club great. All those great individuals, all those teams and eras united under the one great club.

Doc26
18-11-2019, 09:17 AM
This picture of the past players makes the club great. All those great individuals, all those teams and eras united under the one great club.

Great point. I love how Bernie Quinlan has found his home back at the Bulldogs.

ledge
18-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Think he was at Geelong but followed Bluey Hampshire to the dogs.

He was very close to Bluey up to the day he passed he visited him and took him out.

Twodogs
18-11-2019, 10:38 AM

They all come back. Dempsey, Round, Templeton all know where their true home is. They may have left looking for success (and looking back I no longer blame them-well maybe a little bit!)

GVGjr
18-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Bernie was a champion player, I'm delighted he is back at the Dogs
I think he was the first player who's number I wore on my footy jumper

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Bernie was a champion player, I'm delighted he is back at the Dogs
I think he was the first player who's number I wore on my footy jumper

Terrific person Bernie who resides in the Frankston area these days and enjoys spending time locally with Don Scott and Tony Jewell.
He is still closely connected with the Western Bulldogs.

Bulldog4life
19-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Terrific person Bernie who resides in the Frankston area these days and enjoys spending time locally with Don Scott and Tony Jewell.

I have seen him at the Flinders Hotel a couple of times NBP also Alan Mannix.

GVGjr
19-11-2019, 04:58 PM

My grand father really didn't rate Bernie or I should say in fairness to him that he tried many times to tell me that Bernie was nothing compared to Whitten but I stood my ground saying that Bernie was one of the most talented players going around.
He could play CHB, CHF or FF and I've written a few times how he was used in the ruck with impact from time to time.
He was everything in a footballer I could have ever dreamed to be. Tall, versatile and the longest kick I've seen and he would still be a significant force in the AFL today if he was coming through the junior pathway.

There have been just a handful of Bulldog players that really caught my eye when I was young. Quinlan was the standout and Templeton had an amazing period as one of the competition premier forwards.
Sadly like so many others during that time most of them failed to complete their footy careers with us.

Seeing Quinlan and Templeton together in that group photo is just awesome for me.

I genuinely feel privileged to have watched Quinlan in the red, white and blue and it's a shame that he probably played his best football at Fitzroy.

Twodogs
19-11-2019, 07:22 PM
My grand father really didn't rate Bernie or I should say in fairness to him that he tried many times to tell me that Bernie was nothing compared to Whitten but I stood my ground saying that Bernie was one of the most talented players going around.
He could play CHB, CHF or FF and I've written a few times how he was used in the ruck with impact from time to time.
He was everything in a footballer I could have ever dreamed to be. Tall, versatile and the longest kick I've seen and he would still be a significant force in the AFL today if he was coming through the junior pathway.

There have been just a handful of Bulldog players that really caught my eye when I was young. Quinlan was the standout and Templeton had an amazing period as one of the competition premier forwards.
Sadly like so many others during that time most of them failed to complete their footy careers with us.

Seeing Quinlan and Templeton together in that group photo is just awesome for me.

I genuinely feel privileged to have watched Quinlan in the red, white and blue and it's a shame that he probably played his best football at Fitzroy.

I can remember if Bernie got a kick or took a mark early in the game the whole crowd would think "Beauty, he's on today" and stand back and watch the show.

Axe Man
19-11-2019, 07:53 PM

I spoke to him once years ago in a pub in Sorrento I think it was. I was on a footy trip, had been drinking all day and was probably incoherent, yet Bernie was nice enough to have a chat.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-11-2019, 10:16 PM

Roy Evans who Captained Footscray to our first ever Finals appearance in the 1930’s and later became our Reserves Coach said that he loved to see Quinlan in action with the Dogs because of his outstanding skills. It was great that he should go on to share the Brownlow Medal with close mate Barry Round.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-11-2019, 01:37 AM

Yes saw him at The National Golf, Cape Schank. Living the good life. Legend.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-11-2019, 01:40 AM
I can remember if Bernie got a kick or took a mark early in the game the whole crowd would think "Beauty, he's on today" and stand back and watch the show.

There was also the reciprocal, my young innocent self was shocked to hear the crowd give Bernie the Bronx cheer in defeat.

merantau
20-11-2019, 06:50 AM
Bernie booted 9.5 playing CHF against Carlton at Princes Park. Also booted the longest ever kick on WOS Champion Kick - an 85 yard torpedo. He was a great player. Went into the ruck for the Roys in the last quarter of a Final and booted 4 goals to nearly win them the game. Super player.

Webby
20-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Yes. Cam Wight far back next to Moz.

Cam Wright barracks for Hawthorn. Not sure how “rusted on” as Bulldogs some of these guys are, tbh!!

Remi Moses
20-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Alvey follows Carlton
Didn’t even play for them

Twodogs
20-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Cam Wright barracks for Hawthorn. Not sure how “rusted on” as Bulldogs some of these guys are, tbh!!

Yet his dad played at Footscray and Collingwood.

Twodogs
20-11-2019, 07:30 PM
Alvey follows Carlton
Didn’t even play for them

Jim Buckley played in 3 premierships for Carlton but he is a dedicated Richmond supporter.

Jeanette54
20-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Has anyone heard of the whereabouts of Bulldog stalwart John Jillard. EJ aside, John was my favourite footballer back when I was a kid. Courageous, skilful, a beautiful drop kick and ultra reliable defender. Also had a soft spot for our back pocket players, Charlie Evans, Ian Bryant, Gordon Casey, Ray Walker, Terry Wheeler etc. Maybe, our teams being what they were, it was just that the backline had a few more opportunities than the forwards to strut their stuff.

Twodogs
20-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Has anyone heard of the whereabouts of Bulldog stalwart John Jillard. EJ aside, John was my favourite footballer back when I was a kid. Courageous, skilful, a beautiful drop kick and ultra reliable defender. Also had a soft spot for our back pocket players, Charlie Evans, Ian Bryant, Gordon Casey, Ray Walker, Terry Wheeler etc. Maybe, our teams being what they were, it was just that the backline had a few more opportunities than the forwards to strut their stuff.

John Jillard died in the late '90s I reckon.

Jeanette54
20-11-2019, 09:11 PM

Thank-you Twodogs, I wasn't aware that John had passed away. Our current and future #25's have a big jumper to fill.

Eastdog
20-11-2019, 09:16 PM

Here is the Wikipedia article

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jillard

Twodogs
20-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Here is the Wikipedia article

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jillard

Cheers Easty. He was only 58 when he died.

Eastdog
20-11-2019, 09:19 PM
Cheers Easty. He was only 58 when he died.

Too young

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-11-2019, 09:40 PM

Yes, I met his wife up here at the GABBA one evening in the late 90's, and she told me John had terminal cancer andcwas too sick to make the trip up to the game.

Twodogs
20-11-2019, 09:55 PM
Yes, I met his wife up here at the GABBA one evening in the late 90's, and she told me John had terminal cancer andcwas too sick to make the trip up to the game.

Bloody cancer. I hate just the sound of the word.

merantau
20-11-2019, 10:15 PM
John Jillard was a favorite of mine too. A really close checking half back flanker. Very fair but hard player to win a kick on. Had good clean hands and was a lovely kick.

Twodogs
20-11-2019, 10:26 PM
Looking at our all time goalkicking match records shows how remarkable Simon Beasley was. Of the top 12 goal scorers in VFL matches for Footscray (9 goals and above) that Beasley has 8 of those spots!

Western Bulldogs - Most Goals in a Match
Game records

1 Templeton, Kelvin 15 9 1978 1956-09-30 191Kg 191cm St. Kilda Sat-01-Jul R13 1978 Western Oval
2 Beasley, Simon 12 3 1985 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Melbourne Sat-06-Jul R15 1985 Western Oval
3 Beasley, Simon 12 3 1985 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Richmond Sat-03-Aug R18 1985 VFL Park
4 Beasley, Simon 12 4 1982 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Geelong Sat-10-Jul R16 1982 Western Oval
5 Beasley, Simon 11 4 1984 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Richmond Sat-31-Mar R1 1984 Western Oval
6 Beasley, Simon 10 6 1987 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Brisbane Sun-23-Aug R21 1987 Carrara
7 Grove, Ron 10 — 1946 1919-06-05 185Kg 185cm Melbourne Sat-18-May R5 1946 Punt Road
8 Rait, Alan 10 — 1933 1908-11-09 183Kg 183cm Carlton Sat-17-Jun R8 1933 Princes Park
9 Morrison, Alby 10 — 1928 1909-01-29 183Kg 183cm Hawthorn Sat-18-Aug R17 1928 Glenferrie Oval
10 Beasley, Simon 9 1 1988 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Melbourne Sat-13-Aug R20 1988 M.C.G.
11 Beasley, Simon 9 5 1986 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Melbourne Sat-16-Aug R20 1986 Western Oval
12 Beasley, Simon 9 2 1985 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Carlton Sat-30-Mar R1 1985 Princes Park

Bulldog4life
21-11-2019, 08:12 AM
Looking at our all time goalkicking match records shows how remarkable Simon Beasley was. Of the top 12 goal scorers in VFL matches for Footscray (9 goals and above) that Beasley has 8 of those spots!

Game records

1 Templeton, Kelvin 15 9 1978 1956-09-30 191Kg 191cm St. Kilda Sat-01-Jul R13 1978 Western Oval
2 Beasley, Simon 12 3 1985 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Melbourne Sat-06-Jul R15 1985 Western Oval
3 Beasley, Simon 12 3 1985 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Richmond Sat-03-Aug R18 1985 VFL Park
4 Beasley, Simon 12 4 1982 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Geelong Sat-10-Jul R16 1982 Western Oval
5 Beasley, Simon 11 4 1984 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Richmond Sat-31-Mar R1 1984 Western Oval
6 Beasley, Simon 10 6 1987 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Brisbane Sun-23-Aug R21 1987 Carrara
7 Grove, Ron 10 — 1946 1919-06-05 185Kg 185cm Melbourne Sat-18-May R5 1946 Punt Road
8 Rait, Alan 10 — 1933 1908-11-09 183Kg 183cm Carlton Sat-17-Jun R8 1933 Princes Park
9 Morrison, Alby 10 — 1928 1909-01-29 183Kg 183cm Hawthorn Sat-18-Aug R17 1928 Glenferrie Oval
10 Beasley, Simon 9 1 1988 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Melbourne Sat-13-Aug R20 1988 M.C.G.
11 Beasley, Simon 9 5 1986 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Melbourne Sat-16-Aug R20 1986 Western Oval
12 Beasley, Simon 9 2 1985 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Carlton Sat-30-Mar R1 1985 Princes Park

There were some huge guys in those days. :)

Bulldog4life
21-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Roy Evans who Captained Footscray to our first ever Finals appearance in the 1930’s and later became our Reserves Coach said that he loved to see Quinlan in action with the Dogs because of his outstanding skills. It was great that he should go on to share the Brownlow Medal with close mate Barry Round.

Roy was a great friend of our family and the reason why I got into the playing rooms before and after games when I was a kid. Such a funny man, great amatuer magician and terrific guy overall. He told me once that Ted came to his place, not sure what year and asked him to coach the firsts. The committee would not endorse it though.He was a terrific cricketer too. In one match for Yarraville he was the wicket keeper. He took the pads off to bowl and duly got a hat trick. Such fond memories of Roy.

Mofra
21-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Ha! He wore his 195kg frame well.

bornadog
22-11-2019, 01:56 AM

Game records

Out of those 12 matches, there are only three I never attended.

Axe Man
22-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Out of those 12 matches, there are only two I never attended.

You attended at least one of 1928, 1933 or 1946? Damn you old!

Twodogs
22-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Out of those 12 matches, there are only two I never attended.

3 for me. The 3 played before 1950.

Pieman's best performance was the 8 he got (Out of 9) at VFL park against North

bornadog
23-11-2019, 09:50 AM
You attended at least one of 1928, 1933 or 1946? Damn you old!

ha ha , I meant those three.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Roy was a great friend of our family and the reason why I got into the playing rooms before and after games when I was a kid. Such a funny man, great amatuer magician and terrific guy overall. He told me once that Ted came to his place, not sure what year and asked him to coach the firsts. The committee would not endorse it though.He was a terrific cricketer too. In one match for Yarraville he was the wicket keeper. He took the pads off to bowl and duly got a hat trick. Such fond memories of Roy.

Apart from being fine players for the Club both Roy Evans and Joe Ryan as Assistant Coaches were highly regarded and inspirational influences at the Club in the manner in which they were so supportive to the senior playing group. Their support of senior Coaches in Charlie Sutton and Ted Whitten created the right atmosphere that led to competitive on field performances.

strebla
24-11-2019, 02:04 AM
3 for me. The 3 played before 1950.

Pieman's best performance was the 8 he got (Out of 9) at VFL park against North

That was the wet weather game wasn't it Two dogs ?? My memory was that game as played at the mcg

Eastdog
24-11-2019, 02:21 AM
That was the wet weather game wasn't it Two dogs ?? My memory was that game as played at the mcg

AFL tables website might help here.

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/bullldogs_idx.html

Go_Dogs
24-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Gee Cam Wight has finally put on some bulk... fair sized unit judging by the photo.

Twodogs
24-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Gee Cam Wight has finally put on some bulk... fair sized unit judging by the photo.

To old for a comeback? We waited and waited and wouldn't you know it? Only 10 years after he retires he bulks out!!!!!!!

Twodogs
24-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Not from memory. We sat behind the goals Beazer was kicking to (as we usually did-we'd go from end to end at the old suburban grounds) and I am pretty sure that was the day Beasley (Sam Newman called him ''the pink and shell like'' Simon Beasley on World of Sport the nest day) cleaned up Keith Greig and sent him home in the back of an ambulance.

HOSE B ROMERO
24-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Given the dark places he found himself in , it's good to see him reconnecting.

HOSE B ROMERO
24-11-2019, 08:04 PM

Game records

I looked throuh the pieman's records one day and i think he'd kicked 7 or more goals on 12 occasions. Unsure whether he backed himself....

merantau
24-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Simon Beasley was a great player. Forget about his pasty complexion and middle-of-the-road physique he was a very courageous footballer who never shirked an issue. And remember this: as our go to forward he was a marked man, often having to battle a full-back and a resting ruckman. He was a terrific lead and had superb timing, strong hands and was a great long kick who could boot drop punt goals from beyond the 50m arc. I loved The Pieman. He was a great clubman too.

Twodogs
24-11-2019, 08:45 PM
I looked throuh the pieman's records one day and i think he'd kicked 7 or more goals on 12 occasions. Unsure whether he backed himself....

He kicked more goals in the 1980s (575 I think) than any other AFL player.

Twodogs
24-11-2019, 08:56 PM

*!*!*!*!ing massive!

ledge
25-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Simon Beasley was a great player. Forget about his pasty complexion and middle-of-the-road physique he was a very courageous footballer who never shirked an issue. And remember this: as our go to forward he was a marked man, often having to battle a full-back and a resting ruckman. He was a terrific lead and had superb timing, strong hands and was a great long kick who could boot drop punt goals from beyond the 50m arc. I loved The Pieman. He was a great clubman too.

He was known for being hopeless once the ball hit the ground though.
Incredible reader of the flight and his body use was amazing.

merantau
25-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Yes, you are right Ledge. I reckon 97% of his goals came from set shots.

strebla
26-11-2019, 01:34 AM
Not from memory. We sat behind the goals Beazer was kicking to (as we usually did-we'd go from end to end at the old suburban grounds) and I am pretty sure that was the day Beasley (Sam Newman called him ''the pink and shell like'' Simon Beasley on World of Sport the nest day) cleaned up Keith Greig and sent him home in the back of an ambulance.

Oh ok I wasn't at that game for some reason I was thinking about the 9 against Melbourne I'm sure

Twodogs
26-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Oh ok I wasn't at that game for some reason I was thinking about the 9 against Melbourne I'm sure

I just looked it up and I had the right place but the wrong. It was against Geelong! Round 2 1984.

8 out of a team total of 9 goals. Kaiser *Royal kicked the other one.

*Met some blokes who played junior footy with Brian Royal and they told me that his nickname was never 'choco' (as in Chocolate Royal) but it was always Kaiser (as in the German for king-Brian was the king they all said.)

ledge
27-11-2019, 09:22 AM
I remember going to windy hill for Simons first game and my football coach (bombers supporter) made a bet that if Beasley kicked a goal he would run a lap naked, Simon took a Mark close to goal and we all thought this was going to be fun, he missed and didn’t manage to kick a goal at all in his first game.

Twodogs
27-11-2019, 12:21 PM
I remember going to windy hill for Simons first game and my football coach (bombers supporter) made a bet that if Beasley kicked a goal he would run a lap naked, Simon took a Mark close to goal and we all thought this was going to be fun, he missed and didn’t manage to kick a goal at all in his first game.

Do you remember that everyone was saying that we had paid a fortune (and the tranfer fee from his WA club was about $200 000) for a dud after his first few games? It wasn't the media back then it was the bloke standing next to you at games that you got feedback from, and the feedback was instantaneous and brutal. If you reckon that social media was bad for mental health nowadays then try going back 30 years and have 20 000 people all calling you useless at the same time.

Even after the back end of the season where he kicked where he kicked 58 goals in the last 10 games to finish with 82 the average punter in the outer was saying "Yeah, nah, he's alright but the hype on him was much bigger than this"

That day he steered through his hundredth goal in 1985 he must have thought "Yeah, up your arse the lot of yours!"

BornInDroopSt'54
27-11-2019, 02:11 PM
After that I sent Beasley the only letter I've ever sent to a player. I told him he could be great with the supply coming from Hawkins, Royal and co. if he could get his kicking free of nerves!
He ended up being one of the most accurate of all times.

merantau
28-11-2019, 07:35 PM

I was at that game too Ledge. It was a most inauspicious debut by The Pieman and we were badly beaten. I've always hated Essendon supporters.

merantau
28-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Do you remember that everyone was saying that we had paid a fortune (and the tranfer fee from his WA club was about $200 000) for a dud after his first few games? It wasn't the media back then it was the bloke standing next to you at games that you got feedback from, and the feedback was instantaneous and brutal. If you reckon that social media was bad for mental health nowadays then try going back 30 years and have 20 000 people all calling you useless at the same time.

Even after the back end of the season where he kicked where he kicked 58 goals in the last 10 games to finish with 82 the average punter in the outer was saying "Yeah, nah, he's alright but the hype on him was much bigger than this"

That day he steered through his hundredth goal in 1985 he must have thought "Yeah, up your arse the lot of yours!"

Thanks for the belly laugh TD.