PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs to exit gaming industry

Eastdog
20-11-2019, 01:53 PM
https://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-11-20/bulldogs-to-exit-gaming-industry-

Bulldogs to exit gaming industry
Nov 20, 2019 8:52AM

The Western Bulldogs Football Club today announced it has finalised terms for the sale of its gaming operations in an agreement struck with the Melbourne Racing Club (MRC).

The MRC has agreed to purchase the licences for Club Leeds in Footscray and the Peninsula Club in Dromana, inclusive of 65 gaming machines across both venues. The terms of the sale have been agreed by both parties, with settlements to occur over coming weeks and once all required regulatory approvals are obtained.

Divesting itself from gaming machine revenue has been a long-term priority for the Club, and an important strategic decision as it plans for an exciting redevelopment of the Whitten Oval precinct.

“This is a landmark moment for the Western Bulldogs – the day we officially formalise exiting the gaming industry,” said Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains.

“Everyone in the organisation has worked extremely hard to turn our balance sheet around over the last few years, working down significant debt to emerge in the best financial position we have ever been.

“The financial settlement with the MRC puts us in a strong position to build on our plans to grow our revenue sources and invest in our core programming and infrastructure, including pursuing more positive social outcomes through further supporting the incredible work of the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation.

“With the ongoing support of the Daniel Andrews State Government, the AFL and the City of Maribyrnong, we are looking forward to progressing our plans for the continued redevelopment of our home at VU Whitten Oval, transforming it into a vibrant football and community hub for the people of the west.

“With an ambitious vision to achieve 50,000 members for the first time in the Club’s history, we think there’s never been a more exciting time for our army of Bulldogs fans to get on board.

“In achieving this outcome, we thank our Board for their vision and resolve, and thank our Chief Operating Officer Sue Clark and her team, for their hard work and diligence over many months in leading the deal.

“We also thank the Melbourne Racing Club for their cooperation during this process, and we look forward to continuing to build a strong and prosperous future for the Bulldogs.”

comrade
20-11-2019, 03:47 PM
That’s an amazing achievement. A true community minded organisation.

Happy Days
20-11-2019, 03:54 PM
Yeah this is cool or whatever, but there's no excuse in 2019 for clubs to rely on pokies for income. I'd consider not having them as pretty much the bare minimum.

comrade
20-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Yeah this is cool or whatever, but there's no excuse in 2019 for clubs to rely on pokies for income. I'd consider not having them as pretty much the bare minimum.

You were against pokies before it was cool.

It isn’t the bare minimum, which makes this a great achievement, especially for a club at the lower end of the revenue scale.

Bulldog4life
20-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Fantastic achievement by our great club.
To think five other Victorian clubs were recently handed new 20-year licences to operate machines, beginning in 2022 and running to 2042. Those clubs were Carlton (290 machines), Essendon (190), Hawthorn (165), Richmond (97) and St Kilda (83).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-western-bulldogs-exit-gaming-industry-afl-clubs-with-pokies/news-story/f7ae40bf2ccb2b06b12ad05e6ea58059

HOSE B ROMERO
20-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Great stuff. The community club doing the right thing by the community.

Interesting to see that 4 of the 5 clubs that have just been given 20 year licences are so called 'big clubs'. Maybe big on numbers but not on ethics. And as for Hawthorn being the 'family club', &$#! me.

Twodogs
20-11-2019, 07:35 PM
That's all great but does it still mean that there will still be pokies in Footscray?
If there is then what does it matter who owns them? Wouldn't the best thing to to is to get rid of them altogether?

The MRC has agreed to purchase the licences for Club Leeds in Footscray and the Peninsula Club in Dromana, inclusive of 65 gaming machines across both venues. The terms of the sale have been agreed by both parties, with settlements to occur over coming weeks and once all required regulatory approvals are obtained.

GVGjr
20-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Another step forward, congrats to the Prez and team

The Doctor
21-11-2019, 10:03 AM
I bought an extra membership for a family member upon hearing this news!

westdog54
21-11-2019, 10:29 AM
That's all great but does it still mean that there will still be pokies in Footscray?
If there is then what does it matter who owns them? Wouldn't the best thing to to is to get rid of them altogether?

What matters is we aren't the ones profiting from it.

We can't change the law as a club but we can get as far away from the things a possible.

Twodogs
21-11-2019, 12:39 PM
What matters is we aren't the ones profiting from it.

We can't change the law as a club but we can get as far away from the things a possible.

I guess.

Pokies make me laugh, when dad was alive he liked to play them and I used to go and watch the people playing and you never see them smile. They just stand there with frowns on their faces pouring money into a machine that is designed with an algorithm that is designed specifically to take your money away. I've had some problems with addiction in the past but I'd hate to be addicted to gambling of any kind. It's the state sanctioned addiction designed to replace the revenue that state governments missed out on with less people smoking tobacco.

choconmientay
21-11-2019, 01:22 PM
I hate this guy. A glass haft empty kind of guy. Not looking at the positive but questioning us ... only shifting the problem elsewhere ...

https://www.3aw.com.au/why-tom-elliott-thinks-the-bulldogs-latest-move-is-just-a-bit-of-useless-virtue-signalling/

hujsh
21-11-2019, 03:43 PM
I hate this guy. A glass haft empty kind of guy. Not looking at the positive but questioning us ... only shifting the problem elsewhere ...

https://www.3aw.com.au/why-tom-elliott-thinks-the-bulldogs-latest-move-is-just-a-bit-of-useless-virtue-signalling/

Anything anyone does that isn't pure self interest is done to virtue signal which is actually self interest anyway. I know this because I'm incapable of doing anything that isn't to my benefit in some way and I feel better with the thought that everyone else is as bad or worse than me. It's also useful for dismissing views I don't agree with. /s

Anyway this is clearly the right thing to do so I'm glad we've done it. Carry on

divvydan
21-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Elliott is like his dad, would do anything to make Carlton seem like the good guys. No surprise he's saying something like this given how many machines Carlton profit from, including in the west.

WBFC4FFC
21-11-2019, 05:32 PM
I guess.

Pokies make me laugh, when dad was alive he liked to play them and I used to go and watch the people playing and you never see them smile. They just stand there with frowns on their faces pouring money into a machine that is designed with an algorithm that is designed specifically to take your money away. I've had some problems with addiction in the past but I'd hate to be addicted to gambling of any kind. It's the state sanctioned addiction designed to replace the revenue that state governments missed out on with less people smoking tobacco.

You took the words out of my mouth. They are the most morbid venues and a blight on society.

They have done studies suggesting that having to deal with a relative with drug habit is more preferable than one with a gambling addiction (not that you wish either on anyone).

The way the Gaming Industry cracks it is a national disgrace. The blocking of Gold Coin operated Machines shows that there business model has no morals whatsoever.

PS: Love the comment under the Clubs LinkedIn page about exiting Gaming from a Gaming Industry Exec, guaranteeing the Horse Racing will take-over from Aussie Rules in the Western Suburbs as a result of this transaction! Can't be serious but why write it?!?!

Eastdog
21-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Gambling today is really heavily advertised on TV. They really push it. I never have gambled. Just not interested that much.

jeemak
21-11-2019, 08:50 PM
I guess.

Occasionally when I was on the road for work a lot I'd drop into pubs/gaming venues to use the toilets, and often you'd have to walk through the gaming lounge itself to find them. Man o man, what a depressing shit show a pokies venue is at 11am, everyone kind of just sits there like zombies with a perversion for sparkling lights and electronic jingles rather than brains.

Governments are addicted to the revenue, which is a shame, because we'll never be rid of them now.

Axe Man
22-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Gambling today is really heavily advertised on TV. They really push it. I never have gambled. Just not interested that much.

Sports betting is but Pokies aren't, not allowed to advertise pokies.

Twodogs
22-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Occasionally when I was on the road for work a lot I'd drop into pubs/gaming venues to use the toilets, and often you'd have to walk through the gaming lounge itself to find them. Man o man, what a depressing shit show a pokies venue is at 11am, everyone kind of just sits there like zombies with a perversion for sparkling lights and electronic jingles rather than brains.

Governments are addicted to the revenue, which is a shame, because we'll never be rid of them now.

Yeah I had a shift the other day and had to take my client to the toilet at Miller's Inn at around that time. A shit show is a good description.

bornadog
16-11-2020, 05:52 PM
Bulldogs formally free of gaming machine ownership (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/836454/bulldogs-formally-free-of-gaming-machine-ownership)

The Western Bulldogs are officially free of gaming machine ownership, after a handover was completed today with the Melbourne Racing Club (MRC).

The MRC has purchased the Bulldogs’ 65 gaming machines from two venues - Club Leeds in Footscray and the Peninsula Club in Dromana.

The agreement, which was originally struck in November last year, was subject to regulatory approvals, which were delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Club will maintain ownership of the freehold land at the Peninsula Club, and will therefore be the landlord of that premises.

Exiting the gaming industry has been a long-standing vision of the Club. The sale will unlock vital funds to assist with beginning works on Stage 2 of the Whitten Oval precinct redevelopment.

On Saturday the Daniel Andrews State Government pledged $36.6 million towards the next stage of the redevelopment project, which is expected to cost $58 million.

“It’s a proud day for our football club to now be formally out of the gaming industry,” said Bulldogs’ CEO Ameet Bains.

“There has been a considerable body of work done over several years to arrive at this point. When we made the decision to exit gaming, we wanted to ensure we were still going to be financially prosperous into the future.

“Thanks to some pleasing financial results over the last decade, and some meticulous planning for the future, we can move forward with optimism to offset the loss of funds we were receiving from gaming machines.

“With the gaming sale, combined with a generous funding boost from the State Government, we’re thrilled to be able to push ahead with construction on our redevelopment next year once design work is complete. The new Whitten Oval precinct will be something for our members and fans and local community to enjoy for decades to come.

“We would like to thank the Melbourne Racing Club for their professionalism and cooperation through the sale process, our Board of Directors for their vision and determination, our Chief Operating Officer Sue Clark and her team for coordinating the extensive process, as well as the loyal staff at the Peninsula Club and Club Leeds for their outstanding service over many years.”

angelopetraglia
16-11-2020, 08:20 PM
Great news. I can see a time where gambling advertising will be banned. It's only a matter of time.

azabob
16-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Did anyone else receive the survey on gambling and its advertising? I think it was from Deakin.

bornadog
16-11-2020, 09:32 PM
Did anyone else receive the survey on gambling and its advertising? I think it was from Deakin.

Yes I did

Ghost Dog
16-11-2020, 10:51 PM

I came here to write exactly your sentiment. But since you go there first, just to play devil's advocate ( a bit ). While I am not a fan of gaming, I can see why gaming venues attract senior cits. Firstly, the way we have built our urban neighbourhoods and changes in family structures means a great deal of loneliness for certain people. Gaming venues are warm, the staff are familiar, the food is cheap, it's open late, light, and music and footy.
It's not real community and these game makers really know how to suck people in. But at the end of the day, some people feel at home. I think they are a curse but I see why they attract people. I'm really glad we are out of them.