View Full Version : Essendon

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Twodogs
21-11-2019, 01:06 PM
https://twitter.com/EFCFinals

Love it!

Mofra
21-11-2019, 01:10 PM
4 September 2004. I have memorised this date for the hilarity.

When Rutten takes over as coach, that will make it 11 of Essendon's 12 past coaches who never coached Essendon in a winning final. I think it was 1968 when a non-Sheedy coached Essendon side last won a final.

GVGjr
30-12-2019, 05:55 AM
The Hun has produced this fuzzy logic that Essendon has some finals light at the end of the tunnel

The finals drought will stretch into 2020, but there’s reason for optimism if you’re an Essendon fan.

The Bombers held firm on Joe Daniher’s trade request to Sydney and Orazio Fantasia stayed put at Tullamarine after being linked with a return to South Australia.

If John Worsfold and coach-in-waiting Ben Rutten can get the best out of that oft-injured pair and Dyson Heppell overcomes his foot issues, Essendon will have few excuses if it fails to build on an elimination final appearance.

These are the eight reasons Bombers supporters should be excited about next year.

1. TIME IS NOW

In 2018, leading football commentator David King coined the phrase ‘The Tullamarine Globetrotters’ when referencing Essendon and its premiership chances on the back of being one of the most damaging offensive teams in the competition. King was not the only expert to tip the Bombers to win the flag that year. But since then, Essendon has done little to live up to the hype. The Bombers missed finals in 2018 and finished eighth last season before producing a lacklustre elimination final performance against West Coast and suffering a 55-point humbling. The club simply can’t afford another mediocre mid-table finish. With the sixth-oldest list in the competition, the time to strike is now.

2. DANIHER RETURN

Essendon stood its ground and knocked back Joe Daniher’s bid to join Sydney during the trade period and the Bombers will be hoping the move pays off. A rare talent, Daniher kicked 65 goals in 2017 but has played only 11 of a possible 45 games since due to persistent groin problems. Daniher spoke in November about making the trade request because he wanted a “fresh start” to turn things around with his groin, but the Bombers are confident they can get the injury right and their key forward says he is fully “committed” to the club once again.

3. MORE FANTASIA

He might wear No. 13 on his back, but there is nothing unlucky about Orazio Fantasia. In fact, the forward has proven a good-luck charm for the Bombers in recent years and has often been a team barometer and matchwinner. The problem is that injuries have restricted Fantasia to just 28 of a possible 45 games over the past two years including 15 last season. During that period, Fantasia has ranked second at Essendon for average goals (1.4 a game), equal-fourth for score involvements (5.7 a game) and has averaged 70 SuperCoach ranking points. In his last full season in 2017, Fantasia kicked 39 goals from 20 games. Like Daniher, if he can rediscover that form and fitness it will go a long way to the side climbing the ladder.

4. MORE HEPPELL

Captain Dyson Heppell recorded his fewest Brownlow Medal votes since 2012 last season after a tough year. While the midfielder still bravely managed to play 18 games, he was clearly hampered in some of them by a foot injury which limited his output. Heppell played less than 80 per cent game time in five matches, including just 53 per cent in the Bombers’ elimination final loss. While he still averaged a more than respectable 26.3 disposals for the season, the 27-year-old recorded his fewest SuperCoach ranking points (95 a game) since 2013 and his fewest clearances (3.8 a game) since 2012. Given the Bombers aren’t brimming with midfield depth nor leadership, they could hardly afford to be without Heppell on the park and playing at his best. Fingers will be crossed at Tullamarine to see more of the skipper in 2020.

5. SMITH RETURN

Former Greater Western Sydney midfielder Devon Smith was being hailed one of the recruits of the year in 2018 after winning the best-and-fairest in his first season at the Bombers. But a knee injury did not give him the chance to back it up. Smith only played seven games last season, having been unsighted after Round 8. But it’s worth remembering just what a good 2018 campaign he had. He ranked fourth at Essendon for total disposals that year (22 a game), first for tackles (8.5 a game), third for inside-50s (3.1 a game) and fourth for clearances (3.3 a game). To top it off, Smith also kicked 17 goals. That is a pretty handy virtual recruit for the Bombers in 2020.

6. THE FORMER NO. 1

In his third season, 2016 No. 1 draft pick Andrew McGrath gave a glimpse of what his future holds and it had many Essendon fans salivating. Having spent much of his first two years in defence, McGrath was given greater opportunities up the ground and recorded career-high season averages for disposals (21 a game), metres gained (276 a game), inside-50s (2.3 a game) and clearances (1.6 a game). During brief stints forward, McGrath was also able to impact the scoreboard and he was named in the AFL Players’ Association 22under22 team for a third-straight year. The Bombers expect further improvement from McGrath in 2020 as he continues to build his midfield craft and leadership.

7. COACHING REFRESH

It has been proven time and time again that coaching changes can make a significant difference and Essendon has had two big ones over the off-season. John Worsfold has taken a step back for what will be his final year at Tullamarine and will delegate much of the responsibility around game plan to Ben Rutten, who will officially take the senior coach title in 2021. The Bombers also poached assistant coach Blake Caracella from Richmond, who joined the Tigers in 2017 and was said to be one of the masterminds of their breakthrough premiership that year due to being in charge of the team’s ball movement. Caracella also played a key role in Geelong’s 2011 premiership success. Can success follow him to Essendon?
Essendon draftees Lachlan Johnson, Ned Cahill, Mitch Hibberd, Harrison Jones and Nick Bryan are welcomed to the club.

8. THE RECRUITS

Essendon did not have a lot to work with during the trade and draft period, having traded its first-round pick to GWS as part of the deal to secure Dylan Shiel at the end of 2018. However, the Bombers did add a couple of handy players to their list. Former Brisbane wingman Tom Cutler was secured during the trade period, the Bombers liking the run and speed the 24-year-old can provide on the outside of the contest. Harrison Jones was the club’s first draft pick at No. 30 and is an exciting 194cm tall forward likened to former St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt.

CHAMPION DATA SAYS

So much reliance will land on the Bombers defensive unit heading into 2020. Their defence is rated as the sixth best in the competition, they also have the sixth oldest defensive group. Conor McKenna is rated elite in his position while Aaron Francis and Adam Saad are rated above average.

GVGjr
30-12-2019, 06:07 AM
I don't believe Essendon are in for a good season. There will be coaching changes regardless with hos they perform and that will be a distraction for them. Does Joe Daniher actually want to be there and they are running a significant injury list

If Daniher wants to be there and overcomes his injuries then they're a chance but I think they finish at best 10th

soupman
30-12-2019, 09:20 AM
Pretty average bunch of reaaons to get excited.

One says they'll be better because people said they'd be good two seasons ago.
The next two talk about two injury prone players who both wanted out as being difference makers, with neither having been able to make them a good side in the last two years.
The next talls about their mediocre captain.
The next is legit, as Smith dpes improve them.
The McGrath one is also promising, but it is alarming that it is the only point of the eight that even mentions a young player with scope for imrpovement actually having a positive impact.
The coaching one is fine but is more of a rejig at this stage.
And the last one is a joke, imagine havinv so few reasons to get excited that Tom Cutler and a pick 30 key forward that probably wont even play till 2022 make your top 8.

jeemak
30-12-2019, 10:37 AM
Essendon is a Ponzi Scheme that just fraudulently lures new investors for the benefit of older investors, namely the media that gets a shit tonne of mileage out of talking about them regularly.

For years we've been hearing about why they will be the next big thing, with their fans getting excited and it's all been for naught. And I actually blame the Kool-Aide drinking tosser fans themselves by and by, they are getting what they deserve for their arrogance and self entitled attitudes.

Happy Days
30-12-2019, 11:13 AM
The only substantive change they've made to their team from last year is the possible addition of a guy who is both certain to get injured and to leave at the end of the year.

Essendon have no outstanding talent across any line with the exception of Daniher, who might not get on the field and who they were still rubbish with anyway. I can't see how anyone could conclude they will improve on last season especially considering not 4 games ago they conceded 21 consecutive goals.

GVGjr
30-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Essendon do better than just about every other team in Melbourne with the media pumping up their chances. They know they will get a heap of praise by the supporter base. I just can't see how they can perform well with the distraction of the planned coaching changes and the current injury list. The playing list lacks quality and depth anyway

They will need a lot of things to go right for them

Go_Dogs
30-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Agree GVGjr.

They lack depth and class, their injury list means they will struggle early and they have a number of distractions (both with coaches and players). I think they'll finish in the bottom third of the ladder.

comrade
30-12-2019, 11:42 AM
They won so many tight games that could have easily gone the other way. They're set for a decent fall in 2020.

bornadog
30-12-2019, 12:03 PM
They won so many tight games that could have easily gone the other way. They're set for a decent fall in 2020.

Bottom would be nice

Twodogs
30-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Essendon is a Ponzi Scheme that just fraudulently lures new investors for the benefit of older investors, namely the media that gets a shit tonne of mileage out of talking about them regularly.

For years we've been hearing about why they will be the next big thing, with their fans getting excited and it's all been for naught. And I actually blame the Kool-Aide drinking tosser fans themselves by and by, they are getting what they deserve for their arrogance and self entitled attitudes.

Great post Jee. You've hit the nail right on the head mate.

GVGjr
12-01-2020, 08:09 PM
Just reading on twitter that Jake Stringer has smashed his time trail and Essendon are looking for him to spend more time in the midfield. If the penny has finally dropped for Stringer then that's good news for the Bombers, the reality is that we have heard this for a few seasons now

Twodogs
12-01-2020, 08:41 PM
Just reading on twitter that Jake Stringer has smashed his time trail and Essendon are looking for him to spend more time in the midfield. If the penny has finally dropped for Stringer then that's good news for the Bombers, the reality is that we have heard this for a few seasons now

Yeah, yeah Robbo, sorry Jakey, I've heard it all before son.

Walk the walk and we will listen.

Happy Days
12-01-2020, 10:23 PM

No way! Is he training the house down too?

mjp
12-01-2020, 10:43 PM

It's great that Jake is running well. But why would Essendon move a potential 3 goal per game forward into the mids.

The obsession first Bevo and now Worsfold have with moving him into the mids is driving me nuts. 3-4 CBD's per game.

If you want to get the best out of him, stick him inside 50m and kick the ball in his direction. Watch and enjoy what happens next.

Essendon will be a dangerous side next year and are a threat in every game due to their scoring potential. I get the frustration with all of the positive press they get despite poor on-field performances but if Hawthorn and Melbourne supporters are thinking Top 4 why wouldn't Essendon fans be thinking the same? I think we are going to win it so it isn't like I am any better!

GVGjr
12-01-2020, 10:53 PM
It's great that Jake is running well. But why would Essendon move a potential 3 goal per game forward into the mids.

The obsession first Bevo and now Worsfold have with moving him into the mids is driving me nuts. 3-4 CBD's per game.

If you want to get the best out of him, stick him inside 50m and kick the ball in his direction. Watch and enjoy what happens next.

Essendon will be a dangerous side next year and are a threat in every game due to their scoring potential. I get the frustration with all of the positive press they get despite poor on-field performances but if Hawthorn and Melbourne supporters are thinking Top 4 why wouldn't Essendon fans be thinking the same? I think we are going to win it so it isn't like I am any better!

I don't think he will ever have the tank to be mainly a midfielder so if I was at Essendon I would be be hoping for him to play 85% in forward line. They'd be happy with anything close to a 50 goal season. Jake's a talented player but coaches should be content with using him as a 3rd tall forward

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-01-2020, 11:03 PM
Essendon do better than just about every other team in Melbourne with the media pumping up their chances. They know they will get a heap of praise by the supporter base. I just can't see how they can perform well with the distraction of the planned coaching changes and the current injury list. The playing list lacks quality and depth anyway

They will need a lot of things to go right for them

Essendon is still reeling from its poor Club management during its drugs saga. The Sheedy influence similar to Clarkson at Hawthorn has never been adequately replaced. The Hird/ Thompson coaching saga proved to be a disaster which still hangs over a Club that was one of the powerhouses of the League.

Happy Days
12-01-2020, 11:58 PM

I 100% agree with your first point. The spot that Jake can play when he's at his peak is the hardest spot to fill on the ground, so of course the brains trust at Essendon are trying to move him out of it in the hope that he might do something else half as well.

Dangerous side next year though? Really doubt it. They have a piss poor midfield and have made no improvements to it short of moving their best player from their forward line into it, in spite of all evidence suggesting its a bad idea. Joe Daniher has more property interests in Sydney than functioning legs. They will be terrible next year and it will be beautiful.

The Adelaide Connection
13-01-2020, 10:28 AM
I 100% agree with your first point. The spot that Jake can play when he's at his peak is the hardest spot to fill on the ground, so of course the brains trust at Essendon are trying to move him out of it in the hope that he might do something else half as well.

Dangerous side next year though? Really doubt it. They have a piss poor midfield and have made no improvements to it short of moving their best player from their forward line into it, in spite of all evidence suggesting its a bad idea. Joe Daniher has more property interests in Sydney than functioning legs. They will be terrible next year and it will be beautiful.

I wouldn’t mind kicking 20+ goals straight against them again. That was crazily fun.

I am a big subscriber to some teams seasons almost being make or break in the first few rounds. If they get a few wins on the boards the place builds huge belief, but they are pretty fragile and have trouble backing up the truck if it goes the other way. I think Essendon is one such team and the opening three relatively ‘soft’ games against Freo (home), Sydney, and Carlton will likely define their year.

Mofra
13-01-2020, 10:54 AM
They did finally address their glaring weakness with inside mids by taking Mitch Hibberd from Willy.
I'm not convinced with their ruck division but getting Smith back and having an actual big bodied inside mid makes them far more competitive.

A lot rests on Daniher getting fit because I just don't see a viable plan B as a KPF that doesn't rob their backline.

Bulldog Joe
13-01-2020, 01:53 PM

Don't misjudge yourself. You and I are on the same page on that one. Realism surely!!

ratsmac
15-01-2020, 02:44 AM
Essendon will struggle so long as Dyson Heppell is the captain. He's a decent player but he's a shithouse captain IMO. I recall him missing goals or not even making the distance last year in tight games. Good captains kick the important goals when they get the chance.

I hope the Bont is reading this.

Twodogs
15-01-2020, 11:17 AM
Essendon will struggle so long as Dyson Heppell is the captain. He's a decent player but he's a shithouse captain IMO. I recall him missing goals or not even making the distance last year in tight games. Good captains kick the important goals when they get the chance.

I hope the Bont is reading this.

I have seen Dyson Heppell twice in the last two weeks. Once at the zoo when I was working a shift and on Saturday when I was on my home from work he was standing at an intersection (it was a roundabout actually-the one outside 7-11 just down from Windy Hill) in Essendon with his partner-I'm assuming they were on their way to get some dinner.

Mofra
15-01-2020, 11:26 AM
I don't mind Dyson. He runs hard - how difficult it is to gut-run late in a game is underrated by your average (non running) footy fan.

Twodogs
15-01-2020, 12:43 PM
I don't mind Dyson. He runs hard - how difficult it is to gut-run late in a game is underrated by your average (non running) footy fan.

I watched him at the zoo and kids were flocking to him to talk and get an autograph but Heppell was cool with it. Every kid got a bit of his time and attention-even the kids in jumpers or shirts that werent EFC branded got an autograph and some time.

The person I was working with asked who he was and when I told them she said "I thought that all footballers were stuck up arseholes-good for him"

AshMac
17-01-2020, 05:18 PM
I watched him at the zoo and kids were flocking to him to talk and get an autograph but Heppell was cool with it. Every kid got a bit of his time and attention-even the kids in jumpers or shirts that werent EFC branded got an autograph and some time.

The person I was working with asked who he was and when I told them she said "I thought that all footballers were stuck up arseholes-good for him"

It’s amazing how you can genuinely hate a player on the field and then they turn out to be the best blokes. I remember reading how Tex Walker went above and beyond for a young girl who ran out onto the field with the team to make her feel safe and confident.

Axe Man
17-01-2020, 05:27 PM
I have seen Dyson Heppell twice in the last two weeks. Once at the zoo when I was working a shift and on Saturday when I was on my home from work he was standing at an intersection (it was a roundabout actually-the one outside 7-11 just down from Windy Hill) in Essendon with his partner-I'm assuming they were on their way to get some dinner.

Are you one of the exhibits Twodogs? :D

Mofra
17-01-2020, 05:44 PM
Joe is off to Ireland to try and sort out his groin.
Poor guy, but it makes the Dodoro trade demands to Sydney even stranger.

Twodogs
17-01-2020, 07:56 PM
Are you one of the exhibits Twodogs? :D

Nah, I've just got the best job in the world.

Sedat
17-01-2020, 09:32 PM
Essendon is still reeling from its poor Club management during its drugs saga. The Sheedy influence similar to Clarkson at Hawthorn has never been adequately replaced. The Hird/ Thompson coaching saga proved to be a disaster which still hangs over a Club that was one of the powerhouses of the League.
Actually Sheedy and his enormous ego are a big factor in their decline over the last 20 years. The years from 2003-2006 were the lost years, where the club got comfortable and Sheedy was phoning it in. He stayed on 3 years too long and the playing list was not refreshed anywhere near enough in that time.

Twodogs
17-01-2020, 10:32 PM
Actually Sheedy and his enormous ego are a big factor in their decline over the last 20 years. The years from 2003-2006 were the lost years, where the club got comfortable and Sheedy was phoning it in. He stayed on 3 years too long and the playing list was not refreshed anywhere near enough in that time.

They were arrogant enough to think that the salary cap didn't apply to them too. Up until they lost those three players in the early 200s. They flat out cheated their way to the 2000 premiership and the '93 premiership is tainted too.

SonofScray
18-01-2020, 12:40 AM
Long may they struggle. A stain on the league and the game more broadly.

Twodogs
19-01-2020, 11:47 AM
Long may they struggle. A stain on the league and the game more broadly.

And a shit stain at that.

AshMac
20-01-2020, 07:28 AM
They were arrogant enough to think that the salary cap didn't apply to them too. Up until they lost those three players in the early 200s. They flat out cheated their way to the 2000 premiership and the '93 premiership is tainted too.

Why is the 93’ flag tainted?

Sedat
20-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Why is the 93’ flag tainted?
Found guilty of cheating the cap. They also cheated the cap in 2000 with the Lloyd and Hird domain names fiasco, so their last legitimate premiership was 35 years ago.

bornadog
20-01-2020, 12:26 PM
Found guilty of cheating the cap. They also cheated the cap in 2000 with the Lloyd and Hird domain names fiasco, so their last legitimate premiership was 35 years ago.

AFL too gutless to take away premierships for cheating, unlike the NRL

Twodogs
20-01-2020, 12:36 PM

Even then they had Merrett running around whacking blokes when the ball was 50 metres away.

ledge
23-01-2020, 07:30 PM
So now they have Hibberd in for surgery and Danaher still can’t get right , with a coach that has no future at the club I can only see them sliding.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-01-2020, 12:53 PM
https://www.agricen.com.au/blog/how-roots-find-nutrients-plants-need?utm_campaign=Agricen%20Australia%20Blog&utm_content=113022932&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-1425878697667849&hsa_acc=10151325181264157&hsa_cam=6152325848318&hsa_grp=6152325849518&hsa_ad=6152325849718&hsa_src=fb&hsa_net=facebook&hsa_ver=3

BornInDroopSt'54
24-01-2020, 12:57 PM
Please disregard above post (unless you believe Essendon should be composted).

Remi Moses
24-01-2020, 02:47 PM
Dodoro’s stubbornness and Essendon’s unbelievable sense of entitlement is hurting them .
The daniher non trade is going to bite them in the arse .
They have this how dare anyone want to leave us attitude

Mofra
24-01-2020, 02:58 PM
So now they have Hibberd in for surgery and Danaher still can’t get right
I thought Hibberd was a good pick up for them, especially after losing Myers last year.
Daniher is a real worry. Third year virtually being out of the game. They turned down two first rounders for him - yet we pick up Bruce with a second, on lower coin. Amazing.

jeemak
24-01-2020, 08:54 PM
I thought Hibberd was a good pick up for them, especially after losing Myers last year.
Daniher is a real worry. Third year virtually being out of the game. They turned down two first rounders for him - yet we pick up Bruce with a second, on lower coin. Amazing.

Massive house burning down "this is fine" moment for them. Play hard ball to retain someone who doesn't want to be there to send a signal to all and sundry that they're tough and everything will turn out for the better.

Axe Man
31-01-2020, 05:52 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/nhFc6R91/stringer.jpg (https://postimg.cc/svLrWJcB)

Hahahahahaha

Happy Days
31-01-2020, 06:29 PM

Hahahahahaha

So he’s...not flying?

comrade
31-01-2020, 06:53 PM
Jakey 'No Definition' Stringer.

Remi Moses
31-01-2020, 06:55 PM
The obligatory “Jakes flying “ story
God, heard this story a few times

Rocket Science
31-01-2020, 07:12 PM

Hahahahahaha

This will age superbly.

I love the touch of humility too.

"borderline"

jeemak
31-01-2020, 09:10 PM
He'd be close to leading the B&F this year, and really should be in the All Australian conversation.

bulldogtragic
31-01-2020, 10:14 PM
Please world never give him a pilots licence, with a vocabulary like his...

"Passengers, this is your captain speaking. I'm borderline flying at the minute".

AshMac
01-02-2020, 08:20 PM
A small part me, buried deep always believes it too.... in comparison his career is an underperformance compared to Macrae (except 2015) but his potential is immense....

Twodogs
01-02-2020, 09:25 PM
Please world never give him a pilots licence, with a vocabulary like his...

"Passengers, this is your captain speaking. I'm borderline flying at the minute".

Is "borderline flying" a euphemism for "Completely off my guts most of the time?"

The lack of definition in his arms are stunning for a league footballer.

bornadog
02-02-2020, 12:41 AM
A small part me, buried deep always believes it too.... in comparison his career is an underperformance compared to Macrae (except 2015) but his potential is immense....

Will be 26 in April, and basically he has turned out to be an average player.

jeemak
03-02-2020, 04:40 AM
Is "borderline flying" a euphemism for "Completely off my guts most of the time?"

The lack of definition in his arms are stunning for a league footballer.

He screams "no attention to detail", where just getting through every session is enough. Players of his ability who become extremely good players aren't spoken of in terms of just doing all the main sessions to get the most out of themselves, they're spoken of as players who do the extras to get even more out of themselves.

Jake won't ever be spoken of that way.

Mofra
03-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Harsh on Stringer - he is one of the most naturally talented players in the competition.
He'll never be more than a bit-part mid though, he's a much better burst player than an endurance mid.

I'm a big fan of playing players to their strengths (it's the reason Bevo is the complete opposite of B-Mac), so I hope Essendon who are bereft of dangerous consistent forwards keep the 'Stringer to the midfield' experiment. He's probably a flashy mid who has an excellent highlights reel but average production, or an possible AA forward. Daniher is out and Orazio is excellent but can't get on the paddock much either. Who kicks their goals. Hooker? Robs their backline, especially if Hurley keeps his niggles.

bornadog
03-02-2020, 01:14 PM
Harsh on Stringer - he is one of the most naturally talented players in the competition..

He is another Coodabeen. His stats are ordinary, except for his 56 goals in 2015.

Career Season Totals

Year
Team
GM
K
H
D
M
G
B
T
HO
FF
FA
GA
I50
CL
CG
R50
BL

Bombers (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_home?tid=6)

Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_home?tid=8)

Career

Career Season Averages

Year
Team
GM
K
H
D
M
G
B
T
HO
FF
FA
GA
I50
CL
CG
R50
BL

Career

Averaging 13 Disposals per game. I know stats aren't everything - but his are very ordinary to say the least

Happy Days
11-02-2020, 09:39 PM
You know who else is flying? Connor McKenna. Literally. To Ireland. So he doesn’t have to play for Essendon anymore.

This club is a trash fire.

bulldogtragic
11-02-2020, 10:02 PM
I hope they fall off the cliff, have a massive list exodus, the coach thing implode and truly achieve everything they deserve.

Rocket Science
11-02-2020, 10:25 PM
This is borderline my favourite thread on WOOF.

https://i.ibb.co/Pw9Tm5T/Screen-Shot-2020-02-11-at-9-23-19-pm.png (https://ibb.co/r4cb7Zb)

Long may it reap fruit.

ledge
11-02-2020, 10:56 PM
Let’s just remember Stringer never wanted to leave us and Daniher wanted out, they aren’t exactly brimming with players that actually want to play for them but pick up a big wage.
Daniher astounds me isn’t he a restricted free agent next year ?
Why would you keep a player who wants out and get bugger all for him when you could have had a good deal last trade?

Axe Man
11-02-2020, 10:57 PM
Tom Bellchambers in doubt for the start of the season following knee surgery. This season is shaping up as a disaster for them.

bornadog
12-02-2020, 12:20 AM
Tom Bellchambers in doubt for the start of the season following knee surgery. This season is shaping up as a disaster for them.

Loving it

Sedat
12-02-2020, 12:29 AM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-essendon-defender-conor-mckenna-heads-home-to-ireland-indefinitely/news-story/bb429313daa21964d4d36c79a32e34c1

The good news keeps coming

Mofra
12-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Philips is a handy ruckman. Bellcho is close to cooked anyway. I'd expect English to run off both them this year and kill them around the ground though.

Everyone talks about their need for a ruck and a big bodied mid, but I just don't see who kicks their goals especially if Stringer goes into the middle. Orazio is quality for the 12 games per year he's fit enough to play in. Can Hooker go forward for 22 rounds? Hurley is nearing the end and they seem to be banking on Zack-Thercher to hold down a KPD post.

ledge
12-02-2020, 10:21 AM
Philips is a handy ruckman. Bellcho is close to cooked anyway. I'd expect English to run off both them this year and kill them around the ground though.

Everyone talks about their need for a ruck and a big bodied mid, but I just don't see who kicks their goals especially if Stringer goes into the middle. Orazio is quality for the 12 games per year he's fit enough to play in. Can Hooker go forward for 22 rounds? Hurley is nearing the end and they seem to be banking on Zack-Thercher to hold down a KPD post.

Apparently they have given up on the Stringer in the middle project he will play forward, that’s what he said in an interview.

Testekill
12-02-2020, 01:56 PM
The irony is that pundits would have been saying Essendon won trade week if they traded Daniher for anything of value.

jeemak
12-02-2020, 10:43 PM
The Meedgia can't help itself, sycophant numero uno Jake Niall telling us precisely why we should jump off Esserden and at the same time telling us why we shouldn't jump off the Bombres…….it's literally putting the art in article, I have no idea how he's done it.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/culture-and-coaching-the-bombers-big-issues-20200212-p5409e.html

Actually I do know how he's done it, cognitive dissonance. Kind of like me not being able to reconcile how he didn't do it but actually did. Someone call Alanis, there's some actual irony on the table to be put into a song for her upcoming Australasian tour.

AshMac
13-02-2020, 09:17 AM
Why would you keep a player who wants out and get bugger all for him when you could have had a good deal last trade?

Pride. I heard they wanted Blakey and wouldnÂ’t accept anything other than him or Parker.

They really need to learn how to negotiate from a position of deficit - hopefully this bites them in the ass.

jeemak
13-02-2020, 10:35 AM
Pride. I heard they wanted Blakey and wouldnÂ’t accept anything other than him or Parker.

They really need to learn how to negotiate from a position of deficit - hopefully this bites them in the ass.

What a bunch of *!*!*!*!wits.

I hope they never learn.

ledge
13-02-2020, 10:42 AM
I saw an article .. well a heading , couldn’t read it as it was behind a paywall but it looks like Tippenwoody is injured too.

ledge
13-02-2020, 10:53 AM
The Meedgia can't help itself, sycophant numero uno Jake Niall telling us precisely why we should jump off Esserden and at the same time telling us why we shouldn't jump off the Bombres…….it's literally putting the art in article, I have no idea how he's done it.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/culture-and-coaching-the-bombers-big-issues-20200212-p5409e.html

Actually I do know how he's done it, cognitive dissonance. Kind of like me not being able to reconcile how he didn't do it but actually did. Someone call Alanis, there's some actual irony on the table to be put into a song for her upcoming Australasian tour.

I love the part where he mentions Daniher not playing the last two years , not like they were near A flag without him anyway, but doesn’t he know he will miss most of this season as well and then will get out in the next trade period, they won’t ever have him again. Truth be told he probably would have added only a few more points a game anyway, worst kick at goal ever.

So injuries and a whole new football management team which needs to gel will be a reason to not jump off .. huh. ?

Axe Man
13-02-2020, 11:08 AM
I saw an article .. well a heading , couldn’t read it as it was behind a paywall but it looks like Tippenwoody is injured too.

Maybe just refer to him as Tippa or Walla if you aren't going to attempt to spell his name correctly.

Anyway it's only a minor calf strain. They have some other concerns with some key players who are behind in their preparation:

Michael Hurley (shoulder reconstruction) and David Zaharakis (ankle and knee) are scheduled to join in full training within the next fortnight, while Cale Hooker (hip) and Dyson Heppell (foot) still have work to do.

Twodogs
13-02-2020, 11:29 AM

Is it ironic that many of the things that Alanis mentions in that song aren't technically irony? Like rain on your wedding day is just bad luck really, nothing to do with irony unless you are a weather forecaster.

Anyway do you have her number? I don't mind ringing...

Axe Man
13-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Is it ironic that many of the things that Alanis mentions in that song aren't technically irony? Like rain on your wedding day is just bad luck really, nothing to do with irony unless you are a weather forecaster.

https://youtu.be/6GVJpOmaDyU

ledge
13-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Maybe just refer to him as Tippa or Walla if you aren't going to attempt to spell his name correctly.

Anyway it's only a minor calf strain. They have some other concerns with some key players who are behind in their preparation:

My apologies Acks man :-)

Twodogs
13-02-2020, 01:04 PM
https://youtu.be/6GVJpOmaDyU

Bastards! They stole my idea.

jeemak
13-02-2020, 01:31 PM

I think that's what I'm alluding to TD.

Twodogs
13-02-2020, 01:34 PM
I think that's what I'm alluding to TD.

We are funny guys aren't we?

I hope everybody else appreciates us as much as we do!

Rocket Science
13-02-2020, 02:33 PM
This story can get in my veins. All season long.

https://i.ibb.co/tDc40pZ/Screen-Shot-2020-02-13-at-1-22-09-PM.png (https://ibb.co/4pM7bRs)

ledge
13-02-2020, 02:41 PM

https://i.ibb.co/tDc40pZ/Screen-Shot-2020-02-13-at-1-22-09-PM.png (https://ibb.co/4pM7bRs)

So one minute they are relying on him next minute he can Pee-off lol
Doesn’t exactly encourage him to stay, their PR is all over the place.
If I was him I would be out ASAP, I’m sure other clubs will show him better love and respect.
I hope he gets over his injuries about round 20 , kicks 4 a game then leaves.

jeemak
13-02-2020, 05:35 PM
We are funny guys aren't we?

I hope everybody else appreciates us as much as we do!

Possibly the funniest.

jeemak
13-02-2020, 05:35 PM

Hopefully you'll be depleting your dopamine on a regular basis.

Happy Days
13-02-2020, 06:49 PM
So he's worth more than a second round pick and pick 9 but he's also not really important to what they're doing. Got it.

Has a team ever had this many best 22 players pretty much walk before the season starts?

Twodogs
13-02-2020, 08:15 PM
Possibly the funniest.

Possibly?

Where is your ambition maaaan?

Testekill
13-02-2020, 10:49 PM

It's not the end of the world if he leaves but you turned down overs for him when you knew he wasn't going to be fit this season.

MATE

GVGjr
13-02-2020, 11:16 PM
I know we are all often critical of Dodoro but with the injury to Bellchambers and Draper not quite over his injury challenges getting Andrew Phillips from Carlton seems like a good get for them

ledge
14-02-2020, 09:45 AM
I know we are all often critical of Dodoro but with the injury to Bellchambers and Draper not quite over his injury challenges getting Andrew Phillips from Carlton seems like a good get for them

He wasn’t the footballer who had a shot at goal for Carlton and didn’t look like he even kicked a ball before was he ?

Mofra
14-02-2020, 10:10 AM
So he's worth more than a second round pick and pick 9 but he's also not really important to what they're doing. Got it.

Has a team ever had this many best 22 players pretty much walk before the season starts?
Orazio is signed until 2021 so I'm guessing he just waits for FA. Going to be tough to keep him if they don't improve.

Hurley and Hooker have had injury interrupted pre-seasons and are at the tail end of their careers. This might be the first time for a long time they struggle with KPPs.

But things can turn around quickly. WCE won a flag in a year they were tipped to win the spoon. Caracella loves himself more than Capper does but he has a history of successfully transforming midfield groups.

Twodogs
14-02-2020, 11:37 AM
Orazio is signed until 2021 so I'm guessing he just waits for FA. Going to be tough to keep him if they don't improve.

Hurley and Hooker have had injury interrupted pre-seasons and are at the tail end of their careers. This might be the first time for a long time they struggle with KPPs.

But things can turn around quickly. WCE won a flag in a year they were tipped to win the spoon. Caracella loves himself more than Capper does but he has a history of successfully transforming midfield groups.

Caracella is good at what he does and that's coaching midfield groups..

jeemak
14-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Always reminds me of 1ED's bucks day story when his name is mentioned!

Testekill
14-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Caracella is good at what he does and that's coaching midfield groups..

How's he going to coach a midfield group that doesn't have any good inside mids?

Rocket Science
14-02-2020, 03:24 PM
How's he going to coach a midfield group that doesn't have any good inside mids?

Jakey would like to remind you he's borderline flying.

bulldogtragic
14-02-2020, 03:24 PM

Perhaps he's hoping to impress another AFL club by being in their system. His dream dies if he plays at Footscray. I can see the merits in him going to Essendon and hoping to win an upgrade. Looking at their AFL list and when the player exodus comes, Fletch will be there as a mature replacement option.

Axe Man
14-02-2020, 03:46 PM
Perhaps he's hoping to impress another AFL club by being in their system. His dream dies if he plays at Footscray. I can see the merits in him going to Essendon and hoping to win an upgrade. Looking at their AFL list and when the player exodus comes, Fletch will be there as a mature replacement option.

Had to read this 5 times before I figured out you were talking about Fletcher Roberts in response to a discussion about Blake Caracella!

Testekill
14-02-2020, 06:16 PM

Think we're on two different conversations here my dude

bornadog
14-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Had to read this 5 times before I figured out you were talking about Fletcher Roberts in response to a discussion about Blake Caracella!

He posted in the wrong thread :D

I have done that before, only realising later I read something then clicked a different thread

Axe Man
14-02-2020, 07:02 PM
I was trying to figure out why Caracella would play at Footscray and how Dustin Fletcher fitted in!

bulldogtragic
14-02-2020, 07:27 PM
Think we're on two different conversations here my dude

Yep. Ignore me... :D

Dancin' Douggy
14-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Borderline Flying. BORDERLINE FLYING!

Ohh sweet Jesus that is comedy gold.

Borderline flying. My favourite quote of the year.

Was it Jake himself that said that?

AshMac
15-02-2020, 08:58 AM
Borderline Flying. BORDERLINE FLYING!

Ohh sweet Jesus that is comedy gold.

Borderline flying. My favourite quote of the year.

Was it Jake himself that said that?

Yeh it was. Not like him to get ahead of himself

ledge
15-02-2020, 11:04 AM
So Going by him saying that he is actually behind where he was at this time the last two years as he was actually flying back then.

bornadog
24-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Just when you have seen it all. :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERdMbHDVAAAFc5b?format=jpg&name=medium

Twodogs
24-02-2020, 12:35 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERdMbHDVAAAFc5b?format=jpg&name=medium

Come clean. You just vomited on something and took a photo of it didn't you?

Mofra
24-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Ambrose with a serious injury. They're going to have a tough start to the year with Hurley & Hooker having interrupted pre-seasons.

ratsmac
24-02-2020, 05:24 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERdMbHDVAAAFc5b?format=jpg&name=mediumhahahahahahaha

Mofra
24-02-2020, 05:49 PM
Where the hell is that top from?

soupman
24-02-2020, 06:16 PM
Where the hell is that top from?

Some guy made up alternate long sleeve guernsey options for every club. Channel 7 posted it on twitter. As far as I'm aware it's nothing more than fan fiction.

jazzadogs
24-02-2020, 10:23 PM
Some guy made up alternate long sleeve guernsey options for every club. Channel 7 posted it on twitter. As far as I'm aware it's nothing more than fan fiction.

Were they all so disgusting, or does he just hate the bombers?

soupman
25-02-2020, 11:08 AM
Were they all so disgusting, or does he just hate the bombers?

Hawthorns was similiar. The rest were mostly what you'd expect, so fine

Rocket Science
25-02-2020, 11:57 AM
Echoes of the technicolour yawn goalie get-up that popularised the nineties (https://www.balls.ie/football/90s-goalkeeper-jersey-tribute-318181).

May that eyesore be the 'best' thing to befall them in this thread. Back to work footy gods, keep raining down your sweet vengeance upon them.

Rocket Science
27-02-2020, 02:44 PM
https://i.ibb.co/9GWyM4q/Screen-Shot-2020-02-27-at-1-27-25-PM.png (https://ibb.co/yVqg3k8)

https://i.ibb.co/Fqs4Vm7/Screen-Shot-2020-02-27-at-1-43-58-PM.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Rocket Science
13-03-2020, 02:17 PM
Surely "limiting exposure to big crowds" is code for "we're a bit shit now, sooo".

https://i.ibb.co/0mWZjjp/Screen-Shot-2020-03-13-at-1-11-21-PM.png (https://ibb.co/LYq6zzD)

Make no mistake I'm happy to single-handedly prop up this thread if I have to.

Mofra
13-03-2020, 02:19 PM
I'm sure the Canterbury Bulldogs scandal has Stringer in hiding. No Marsh series games for Jake.

ledge
13-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Aren’t a few media tipping them to make top 8 ?
Not sure how they have no forward line of any height and they will get smashed on the rebound IMO.
From the practice matches they handballed way too much and got themselves into more trouble than out of it.
Yeah they looked good when they all ran in a wave but they will be rebounded from full back to fullforward quicker than toilet paper leaves a supermarket due to bombing it forward to the opposition tall backs.

hujsh
13-03-2020, 02:51 PM
Make no mistake I'm happy to single-handedly prop up this thread if I have to.

We have a name for that.

'Doing God's work'.

Twodogs
13-03-2020, 07:45 PM
Aren’t a few media tipping them to make top 8 ?
Not sure how they have no forward line of any height and they will get smashed on the rebound IMO.
From the practice matches they handballed way too much and got themselves into more trouble than out of it.
Yeah they looked good when they all ran in a wave but they will be rebounded from full back to fullforward quicker than toilet paper leaves a supermarket due to bombing it forward to the opposition tall backs.

Yeah they looked really ordinary at times and I saw a few dropped heads. Dropped heads in a praccy match!

Bulldog4life
17-03-2020, 03:06 PM
Days Since Essendon Won a Final
@EFCFinals
·35m
5,673 #MightyBombers

Bulldog Joe
17-03-2020, 05:12 PM
This is worth a watch.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=search&v=877854282662772&external_log_id=3c6a84930020690f547496837bbd12be&q=epic+multi+podcast

SonofScray
17-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Would be great if things went really south for them from here. De-stabilise them further.

hujsh
06-04-2020, 05:21 PM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/380295150896939011/696604936275755008/image0.png

Not the hero we deserved but the hero we needed.

Axe Man
16-04-2020, 05:36 PM
Club legend Matthew Lloyd blasts Essendon’s lack of culture and success (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/club-legend-matthew-lloyd-blasts-essendons-lack-of-culture-and-success-c-979459?fbclid=IwAR0uq7JbiHVVS6ge_eYuBI4Mzq6LS32jXBWDJxSnKY2w V7COHF2GlqFu0uU)
https://i.postimg.cc/pdxz3sc4/lloyd.jpg (https://postimg.cc/w1f1mQpQ)

Essendon will embark on a new era when Ben Rutten takes over as senior coach next year.

But he’s got his work cut out for him, according to club legend Matthew Lloyd, who says the Bombers remain rudderless.

The Dons reached the finals last year but experienced their fifth defeat in an elimination final since they last tasted any kind of September success.

Finishing inside the top eight was an achievement in itself given the injuries sustained throughout 2019.

For Lloyd, however, it wasn’t the kind of season that helps a club turn a corner.

“They don’t know what success is,” the five-time All Australian told Footy Classified.

“I think sometimes you’ve got to taste it and build to it. What’s culture? They wouldn’t know what culture is.”

Lloyd said Richmond’s launch into their current premiership-winning era remains the standard-bearer for teams looking to reach the next level.

He just doesn’t see it in Essendon, whose leadership overhaul this year saw star midfielder Zach Merrett axed and recent recruits Dylan Shiel and Devon Smith promoted.

“What gives me hope (for the Bombers) is I don’t think (Jack) Riewoldt and (Alex) Rance when they were arguing, for a period of time, weren’t even buying in to each other’s areas,” Lloyd said.

“Trent Cotchin, to me, wasn’t a great captain. I thought Trent, whether he was asked to do it or not, was getting a lot of possessions, but it wasn’t what’s best for the team.

“(Essendon have) got to find something that’s clear and decisive and stick with it - not chop and change year after year to try and get somewhere.”

The Bombers became further removed from success when the heralded return of premiership stars James Hird and Mark Thompson ended with the club on its knees following the supplements saga.

With only a handful of affected players still on the list, Lloyd feels Essendon’s ability to move on will ramp up as the transition from current coach John Worsfold to his deputy Rutten continues.

“Since I’ve gone and retired, the frustration has built and grown at the mediocrity that has happened at the Essendon Football Club,” he said.

“I think from this year, next year onwards, I think we’re now starting to get on a clean slate.

“People said it would take 10 years to recover and they’re going to be spot on.”

Essendon veteran hits back
David Zaharakis launched a passionate defence of his club after Lloyd’s stinging criticism.

“(Worsfold) came in as a culture-driven person and completely changed the club and changed the personnel within the club,” Zaharakis said on Thursday.

“We’ve gotten rid of some people that were in the club and brought some other people in that have been awesome for us.

“Having ‘Truck’ (Ben Rutten) and Blake (Caracella) and Richo (Dan Richardson) come in from Richmond, such a strong club, has just put the icing on the cake in terms of what Woosha’s brought in.

“They’ve been great for us too and we’re building a really strong culture with the footy club. A lot of our younger group have seen that and seen how to actually behave as athletes and professional footballers.”

Zaharakis said Lloyd is out of touch with how the club is now positioned.

“Everyone is buying into what we’re trying to build and I think the footy club right now is in a really strong position - stronger than what it’s been in the last 12 years,” Zaharakis said.

“So I would dispute that highly, what Lloydy’s saying. If you’re not involved in the four walls of the footy club then you don’t really know what’s going on.”

bornadog
16-04-2020, 05:56 PM
May the mediocrity long continue.

Remi Moses
16-04-2020, 06:45 PM
Please keep being mediocre

Twodogs
16-04-2020, 07:20 PM
Keep up the good work Zacca. Essendon are just fine-you keep refusing to listen to reason.

comrade
16-04-2020, 09:52 PM
Zaharakis is one of the biggest pea-hearts getting around, he's the perfect spokesperson for that train wreck of a footy club.

Rocket Science
16-04-2020, 10:26 PM
Just when you thought Jakey's "borderline flying" quote might be the tastiest line out of Windy Hill this year, Lloydy knobs along and shits on his club's lack of "culture" since, coincidentally, Lloydy left.

May this sweet karmic fire burn eternal.

Heaven help "Truck" if they aren't flag favourites heading into September 2021.

Rocket Science
16-04-2020, 10:45 PM
Just when you thought Jakey's "borderline flying" quote might be the tastiest line out of Windy Hill this year, Lloydy knobs along and shits on his club's lack of "culture" since, coincidentally, Lloydy left.

May this sweet karmic fire burn eternal.

Heaven help "Truck" if they aren't flag favourites heading into September 2021.

I also love, with all my heart, that Lloydy likely had this narrative locked and loaded for his various platforms before the pre-season even began, to be doled out once a month during 2020 given dead Duck Woosha 'n all, and in spite of EVERYTHING not least of all zero opportunity for the Bombres to shrug the coil, and still went, yeah nah, I'm rolling with it. Who wants to hear me out?

Be still my beating heart.

hujsh
26-04-2020, 05:47 PM
I don't know if this has come up before but apparently the place Essendon was founded and played their first match is now the headquarters for the Church of Scientology in Melbourne.

I feel like all the pieces are so very close to fitting together and making sense now.

Twodogs
26-04-2020, 07:04 PM
I don't know if this has come up before but apparently the place Essendon was founded and played their first match is now the headquarters for the Church of Scientology in Melbourne.

I feel like all the pieces are so very close to fitting together and making sense now.

Flemington Hill?

hujsh
26-04-2020, 07:24 PM
Flemington Hill?

"The new Church of Scientology of Melbourne stands on a mid 19th century estate, known as Ailsa. The name derives from a Scottish island not far from where original owner, Robert McCracken, hailed. The head of one of Melbourne’s first families, McCracken founded the now legendary Essendon Football Club and, in 1873, the team played its first match on this very estate. Thus, Ailsa entered the annals of Australian sporting folklore."

SonofScray
28-04-2020, 12:33 AM
I just want to add to this thread that I have a strong dislike for Sheedy and think his status in the game is overwrought.

Mofra
28-04-2020, 09:57 AM
4 September 2004

I remember that date without having to look it up. It makes me happy.

Happy Days
28-04-2020, 10:11 AM
I just want to add to this thread that I have a strong dislike for Sheedy and think his status in the game is overwrought.

Oh man the amount of credit he gets for coming up with "revolutionary" ideas like playing uncontested games on public holidays and using more money to build a list than anyone else is so frustrating.

His pre-game speech to GWS before their first game in that season he coached (?) is one of the most cringe things I've ever seen.

Twodogs
28-04-2020, 10:56 AM
4 September 2004

I remember that date without having to look it up. It makes me happy.

https://twitter.com/EFCFinals

SonofScray
29-04-2020, 12:08 AM
Oh man the amount of credit he gets for coming up with "revolutionary" ideas like playing uncontested games on public holidays and using more money to build a list than anyone else is so frustrating.

His pre-game speech to GWS before their first game in that season he coached (?) is one of the most cringe things I've ever seen.AMEN.

He is an absolute grifter, a snake oil pusher, a one trick pony. The aura around him is akin to the Emperor's New Clothes. If anything, I believe he is the catalyst for a lot of the game's problems. The fake tough guy act, greedy attention seeking PR, cheating, bullshit rules.

The sight of him makes me sick.

Rocket Science
13-05-2020, 09:02 PM
:cool::cool::cool:

https://i.ibb.co/xzSBk2C/Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-7-59-49-PM.png (https://imgbb.com/)

bornadog
19-05-2020, 05:40 PM
Updated: Essendon face the prospect of losing star forward Joe Daniher for a compensation pick without him playing a game in 2020 if the free agent again asks for a trade at season's end.

Haha, could have had at minimum a first round pick (plus more) if they traded him last October. :D

Remi Moses
19-05-2020, 06:06 PM
Just complete stubborn stupidity from dodo
Long may it continue
They’re a club just mired in screwing teams over and still lay it on at trade time

hujsh
26-05-2020, 04:57 PM
For some reason I like Rhyce Shaw more now https://i.redd.it/nmkblu9m51151.jpg

jeemak
26-05-2020, 05:39 PM
Yeah I read that and laughed, but I think he was referring to the fact they have to fly home about 2.5 hours after they'd like due to the time the Esserden game finishes.

SonofScray
27-05-2020, 01:00 AM
Did chuckle at old chocolate jock's little dig there.

jeemak
27-05-2020, 01:22 AM
For some reason I like Rhyce Shaw more now https://i.redd.it/nmkblu9m51151.jpg

Did this guy age in six months the same amount an AFL coach usually ages in six years?

Probably a Norf thing...….

Twodogs
27-05-2020, 08:33 PM
Did this guy age in six months the same amount an AFL coach usually ages in six years?

Probably a Norf thing...….

He looks like a derro that's found an old North hoodie out the back of the grandstand.

EasternWest
27-05-2020, 08:42 PM
He looks like a derro that's found an old North hoodie out the back of the grandstand.

It's the legendary Excalibur of hoodies. He who can stand the stench is destined to coach North.

Twodogs
27-05-2020, 10:41 PM
It's the legendary Excalibur of hoodies. He who can stand the stench is destined to coach North.

If only Graham Arthur had coached North we would have known where it came from.

Rocket Science
19-06-2020, 05:23 PM
Bad break: Ankle surgery for top Don after training mishap (https://www.afl.com.au/news/454574/bad-break-ankle-surgery-for-top-don-after-training-mishap)

This may be addition by subtraction ...

Happy Days
19-06-2020, 05:27 PM
Bad break: Ankle surgery for top Don after training mishap (https://www.afl.com.au/news/454574/bad-break-ankle-surgery-for-top-don-after-training-mishap)

This may be addition by subtraction ...

Might improve his leg speed too.

Axe Man
19-06-2020, 05:41 PM
There should be no joy in Heppell breaking his ankle. By all reports he is a decent guy and had just recovered from a lingering foot injury. Rotten luck for him.

Remi Moses
19-06-2020, 05:56 PM
Folks , let’s not rejoice at a broken leg
The guy seems a decent human as well

Rocket Science
19-06-2020, 06:05 PM
Not sure anyone's pressed the 'joy' button - it's an injury development in the relevant thread suffixed to commentary that he's not the player he once was cos of, y'know, injuries.

1eyedog
19-06-2020, 06:35 PM
Not sure anyone's pressed the 'joy' button - it's an injury development in the relevant thread suffixed to commentary that he's not the player he once was cos of, y'know, injuries.

Is there a joy button? Are we talking about football?

Rocket Science
20-06-2020, 06:58 PM
Suddenly 2020's looking up.

https://i.ibb.co/xD4SBn0/Screen-Shot-2020-06-20-at-5-57-46-pm.png (https://ibb.co/47QZXbG)

The Adelaide Connection
20-06-2020, 08:26 PM
Suddenly 2020's looking up.

https://i.ibb.co/xD4SBn0/Screen-Shot-2020-06-20-at-5-57-46-pm.png (https://ibb.co/47QZXbG)

I hope they don’t get cleared for 100 years.

Jeanette54
20-06-2020, 11:24 PM
According to the Age headlines the AFL are investigating as to whether Connor McKenna broke the Covid-19 protocols.

azabob
21-06-2020, 03:00 PM
According to the Age headlines the AFL are investigating as to whether Connor McKenna broke the Covid-19 protocols.

And so they should. It was reported on Wednesday he went for Open For Inspection for a new rental as his lease is expiring. Apparently players can attend open for inspections if they are selling their home but no mention of Rentals.

bornadog
21-06-2020, 04:27 PM

Looks like he visited an open house for a rental, which is not allowed under the rules. Also mayhve put 7 team mates under risk.

AFL may suspend him for the foreseeable future.

jeemak
21-06-2020, 06:40 PM
I think it would be silly to suspend him on the basis that if he is renting he couldn't go to an open for inspection, but if he was buying he could.

bornadog
21-06-2020, 06:57 PM
I think it would be silly to suspend him on the basis that if he is renting he couldn't go to an open for inspection, but if he was buying he could.

Rules are rules and he broke them.

bornadog
21-06-2020, 07:12 PM
Essendon will be forced to still field a team, even if a number of players are in quarantine.

jeemak
21-06-2020, 07:20 PM
Rules are rules and he broke them.

Possibly the rules haven't been thought out properly...….you know bad rules are still bad rules and if they are ill-considered then there's always a chance to review circumstances and amend them.

bornadog
21-06-2020, 07:28 PM
Possibly the rules haven't been thought out properly...….you know bad rules are still bad rules and if they are ill-considered then there's always a chance to review circumstances and amend them.

Well whether it is right or wrong, no sympathy for Conner or Essendon. He knew he was breaking the rules, has put all players at risk and the livelihood of many in the AFL.

jeemak
21-06-2020, 07:35 PM
Well I don't know whether he knew he was, and also let's see what the contact tracing and subsequent testing uncovers as anyone who went to the inspection will now need to be tested. If nobody who attended the open for inspection tests positive then what's the point?

Remi Moses
21-06-2020, 07:50 PM
I actually feel sorry for him

azabob
21-06-2020, 07:57 PM
I actually feel sorry for him

I also have sympathy for him.

SonofScray
21-06-2020, 08:33 PM
Throw them out.

AndrewP6
21-06-2020, 08:47 PM
Matthew Lloyd says it is unfair to expect them to play if several first choice players can’t be selected.

Therefore, I think that is exactly what should happen.

Jeanette54
21-06-2020, 09:42 PM
It appears likely that Essendon also broke the AFL recommendation that they mix up their training groups. As I understand it the back six were in a weights session together. Basically, if they have to play they will need to find a whole new backline.

bornadog
21-06-2020, 11:50 PM
It appears likely that Essendon also broke the AFL recommendation that they mix up their training groups. As I understand it the back six were in a weights session together. Basically, if they have to play they will need to find a whole new backline.

Good, that is their own fault. The whole season was predicated on following the covid-19 rules and if you broke the rules, then there was gong to be severe consequences.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-06-2020, 12:07 AM
How many times can a club break the rules? Just get rid of them. No one will know the difference let alone care

mjp
22-06-2020, 12:12 AM

Are you trying to tell me clubs are splitting up their lines at training? How is that working exactly? The backs will be working together with the backs coach at every club. To suggest they aren’t is simply folly. Likewise mids with mids and forwards with forwards.

If McKenna is cruising around home opens, well, that is something altogether...suggesting this is the clubs fault is just unfair.

jeemak
22-06-2020, 12:50 AM
Good, that is their own fault. The whole season was predicated on following the covid-19 rules and if you broke the rules, then there was gong to be severe consequences.

It wasn't a rule Mad Dog! :)

Let's just let it play out before we keep going nuts on this thing.

jeemak
22-06-2020, 12:51 AM
Are you trying to tell me clubs are splitting up their lines at training? How is that working exactly? The backs will be working together with the backs coach at every club. To suggest they aren’t is simply folly. Likewise mids with mids and forwards with forwards.

If McKenna is cruising around home opens, well, that is something altogether...suggesting this is the clubs fault is just unfair.

Risk averse competition soft directive. No team is breaking up their lines, because they know whichever team does is immediately at a disadvantage given the small risk of CV infection via actually doing it.

McKenna is going to be proven as a victim of the AFL executive and their legal advice/ negligence as being a renter instead of an owner. He's going to get off this.

GVGjr
22-06-2020, 12:04 PM
Melbourne and Essendon must be scheduled to play this week regardless that the Essendon list is compromised
They should be playing Wednesday night

The Bulldogs Bite
22-06-2020, 12:07 PM
Melbourne and Essendon must be scheduled to play this week regardless that the Essendon list is compromised
They should be playing Wednesday night

This would likely be the case but isn't the issue that players could still yet test positive a couple of days after testing negative? I.E. Player A tests negative today, but tests positive Wednesday?

Either way, eventually, these two will need to play a mid week game.

Jeanette54
22-06-2020, 06:20 PM
Connor's training mates in a closed, indoor gym session were (according to Fox) Redman, Hurley, Hooker, Saad, Ridley, Guelfi and Gleeson.

Essendon fans would be desperately be hoping that Connor's Covid test finding was faulty.

GVGjr
22-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Connor's training mates in a closed, indoor gym session were (according to Fox) Redman, Hurley, Hooker, Saad, Ridley, Guelfi and Gleeson.

Essendon fans would be desperately be hoping that Connor's Covid test finding was faulty.

Essendon doesn't appear to have split the players up all that well. That is a fair portion of their back line

ledge
22-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Now they are saying it might be a false reading, if so what a mess a game called off for no reason.

mjp
22-06-2020, 08:08 PM
Now they are saying it might be a false reading, if so what a mess a game called off for no reason.

That's interesting. The COVID tests have been plagued with false negatives, but the story has always been 'negative might mean positive, but positive = positive".

Hotdog60
22-06-2020, 08:14 PM
There was footage of him at Fridays training session clearing nose as players do and wiping his nose with his hands.
Then tackling and handing the ball so not very hygienic in today's environment.

FrediKanoute
22-06-2020, 09:22 PM
Its going to happen. In McKenna's defence - if you are being evicted and you have to move house what do you do?

Jeanette54
22-06-2020, 11:59 PM
Robbo's at it again, "AFL can't hang Bombers out to dry".

Surely this man is the greatest apologist that Essendon have ever had.

GVGjr
23-06-2020, 03:40 AM
Robbo's at it again, "AFL can't hang Bombers out to dry".

Surely this man is the greatest apologist that Essendon have ever had.

It's sickening to watch isn't it?

Mofra
23-06-2020, 09:14 AM
There was footage of him at Fridays training session clearing nose as players do and wiping his nose with his hands.
Then tackling and handing the ball so not very hygienic in today's environment.
I'm no fan of Essendon, but what is he meant to do - carry a hanky?

GVGjr
23-06-2020, 09:18 AM

I'm not sure we can blame Essendon for too much here but I don't mind seeing them under a bit of pressure

bornadog
23-06-2020, 10:07 AM

Shouldn't be training

GVGjr
23-06-2020, 10:46 AM
Just confirmed only McKenna and James Stewart will be quarantined

Mofra
23-06-2020, 10:53 AM
What happens to the Melbourne game?
It looks like they'll just play against Carlton next round

GVGjr
23-06-2020, 11:00 AM
What happens to the Melbourne game?
It looks like they'll just play against Carlton next round

They should be playing tomorrow night to complete the round. The Carlton game should be delayed

hujsh
23-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Shouldn't be training

Because he had to clear his nose?

The Pie Man
23-06-2020, 11:13 AM
They should be playing tomorrow night to complete the round. The Carlton game should be delayed

After Melbourne went pretty hard in their scratch match on Sunday that can't happen

bornadog
23-06-2020, 11:23 AM
Because he had to clear his nose?

Sounded like more than that

jeemak
23-06-2020, 12:03 PM
I dunno, I've been doing outside PT (observing social distancing of course) and have had numerous runny noses due to the chill/moisture in the air. I've also had to cough and spit, god forbid.

Not once in the last few months of doing so have I had symptoms associated with cold and flu, and I think it's easy for people to let their guards down under such circumstances.

jeemak
23-06-2020, 12:05 PM
Here's an update:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/only-one-other-bomber-deemed-close-contact-of-mckenna-players-told-20200623-p55580.html

Topdog
23-06-2020, 02:18 PM
I'm glad this was outside the AFLs hands and in the hands of Department of Health and Human Services because gee that is a huge call that only 1 player was in close contact.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-06-2020, 02:26 PM
I'm glad this was outside the AFLs hands and in the hands of Department of Health and Human Services because gee that is a huge call that only 1 player was in close contact.

Especially given that, as reported, McKenna was named to play Melbourne. So you'd think he would have been training to be match ready.....

Daughter of the West
23-06-2020, 03:09 PM

I am genuinely surprised. When you consider contact training compared to all that kicked off this cluster...

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/a-lecture-a-textbook-an-illness-like-no-other-inside-a-melbourne-covid-cluster-20200416-p54kgo.html

A small lecture of 12 people – and a single mathematics textbook – may have been all it took to kick off a COVID-19 cluster at the University of Melbourne.

A mathematician from Britain handed the textbook to Tony Guttmann, who leafed through it and handed it back. The mathematician did not cough or sneeze, and there was no sign he was carrying the virus.

azabob
23-06-2020, 03:39 PM
I am genuinely surprised. When you consider contact training compared to all that kicked off this cluster...

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/a-lecture-a-textbook-an-illness-like-no-other-inside-a-melbourne-covid-cluster-20200416-p54kgo.html

That article spun me out when I read it.

Did you read the one by Liam Mannix the Age's science reporter? That spun me out even more.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/the-perfect-virus-two-gene-tweaks-that-turned-covid-19-into-a-killer-20200327-p54elo.html

bornadog
23-06-2020, 03:40 PM

As I understand it, they had contact training on Friday, and he caught the virus over the weekend and must have only had contact with the one player.

Axe Man
23-06-2020, 03:49 PM
As I understand it, they had contact training on Friday, and he caught the virus over the weekend and must have only had contact with the one player.

No that's not correct. His test from the Friday showed an irregularity. I don't believe it is ever possible to tell when someone caught the virus anyway.

Stewart was his wrestling partner on the Friday which is why he was deemed a close contact. The DHHS viewed footage of training and decided no other player was a close contact. They were also satisfied that they followed the proper protocols in the Friday weights training session and Saturday morning defenders meeting so that those present were also not considered close contacts.

jeemak
23-06-2020, 04:12 PM
Yeah, apparently they kept excellent records and documentation......which is nice to know given that hasn't been a strong suit of the EFC in the past.

Bulldog Joe
23-06-2020, 04:20 PM
Yeah, apparently they kept excellent records and documentation......which is nice to know given that hasn't been a strong suit of the EFC in the past.

Records that show that the only close contact was a player they weren't intending to select.

Of course I trust the integrity of the Essendon Football Club and their impeccable history of maintaining precise records.:rolleyes:

bornadog
23-06-2020, 05:02 PM
No that's not correct. His test from the Friday showed an irregularity. I don't believe it is ever possible to tell when someone caught the virus anyway.

Stewart was his wrestling partner on the Friday which is why he was deemed a close contact. The DHHS viewed footage of training and decided no other player was a close contact. They were also satisfied that they followed the proper protocols in the Friday weights training session and Saturday morning defenders meeting so that those present were also not considered close contacts.

When did he test positive?

Looking at training vision, he is seen tackling players Saad and who knows who.

Axe Man
23-06-2020, 05:21 PM

He was tested Wednesday and he was negative and there was such a low level in his test on Friday that it came up as an irregularity … and then it was a positive test this morning (Saturday).

All the trainings are filmed, I will leave it up to the health experts to decide who is deemed a close contact.

The Pie Man
23-06-2020, 05:31 PM

Presuming that vision of him tackling Saad is from Friday, testing positive the next day should ABSOLUTELY rule Saad and anyone else with similar contact with Connor out.

This just seems crazy to me. If you can touch a book before showing symptoms and infect someone else, then you can do likewise from touching shiny training gear.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-06-2020, 05:39 PM
Yeah im quite astounded that only 1 player has been deemed to have been in close contact with Connor.

Let's hope this isn't a major error that ends the 2020 season. I'm assuming the essendon players will continue to get tested multiple times before the weekend in any case.

Hotdog60
23-06-2020, 06:33 PM

The Video footage look like someone with a cold. I would have thought he should be doing aerobic training away from the main group to be on the safe side. Essendon should have better infection control within their group. Snorting on the field is one thing wiping a running nose with your hands is another. Last year who would have gave a stuff, it's a different story this year.

Axe Man
23-06-2020, 07:38 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/wB206Ttr/covid.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gwwvspHy)

soupman
23-06-2020, 07:40 PM
He has now tested negative. Wtf

Rocket Science
23-06-2020, 07:47 PM
Essendon and suss as f**k drug tests, name a more iconic duo. I'll wait.

ledge
23-06-2020, 07:57 PM
So what’s this say for all the tests done with the public, they all could be wrong, this whole everyday update could all be bollocks, the public are only tested once not twice a week.. how many have been tested positive that haven’t got it?
This is turning into the biggest load of crap ever.

FrediKanoute
23-06-2020, 08:25 PM
I thought that the tests were biased towards false positives. I had one through work and I was positive and positive for antibodies. Which made sense since the wife and 3 kids had all had something flu like.....wife still can't smell or taste.....there are benefits (bit more chilli in the sauce)

EasternWest
23-06-2020, 09:37 PM
Essendon and suss as f**k drug tests, name a more iconic duo. I'll wait.

Lol.

Topdog
23-06-2020, 10:02 PM
Farce

Jeanette54
23-06-2020, 10:09 PM
Makes one wonder about the accuracy of the public testing which is being done. I mean if they can't get a valid accurate test for such an important occurrence, what hope for the rest of us. Maybe the increased cases are due to misdiagnosed tests. What does the state government have to gain from increased case numbers ?

Twodogs
23-06-2020, 10:13 PM
Makes one wonder about the accuracy of the public testing which is being done. I mean if they can't get a valid accurate test for such an important occurrence, what hope for the rest of us. Maybe the increased cases are due to misdiagnosed tests. What does the state government have to gain from increased case numbers ?

Nothing. But we've all got plenty to lose if positive people falsely test negative and go about their business thinking they are OK. I'd much rather we erred on the side of caution.

ledge
23-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Nothing. But we've all got plenty to lose if positive people falsely test negative and go about their business thinking they are OK. I'd much rather we erred on the side of caution.

Plenty to lose if they are negative but told positive too . Lost jobs , suicides, domestic violence , mental health etc
Told you are positive when you are negative , think how Connor has been treated, what it has all caused his family friends etc and he was then negative ?
Who knows what his mental state could have been or is.

soupman
23-06-2020, 10:26 PM
Plenty to lose if they are negative but told positive too . Lost jobs , suicides, domestic violence , mental health etc
Told you are positive when you are negative , think how Connor has been treated, what it has all caused his family friends etc and he was then negative ?

That's on the footy media though not the tests.

Dickheads like Sam McClure and Tom Browne clamouring over eachother trying to be the first to "break" the players identity in an "exclusive".

Twodogs
23-06-2020, 10:34 PM

I'm happy to be corrected but I haven't heard of anyone topping themselves or losing a job after getting a positive result whether it's false or correct. And I think if a boss did sack an employee because they tested positive for the Coronavirus the public outcry wouldn't be good for their business.

No medical test is ever 100% accurate. My dad was told that his cancerous tumour was 100% gone after therapy. He was dead less than a year later.

bornadog
23-06-2020, 11:59 PM
What does the state government have to gain from increased case numbers ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPAjnCFgBmc

jeemak
24-06-2020, 01:09 AM

I'm happy to be corrected but I haven't heard of anyone topping themselves or losing a job after getting a positive result whether it's false or correct. And I think if a boss did sack an employee because they tested positive for the Coronavirus the public outcry wouldn't be good for their business.

No medical test is ever 100% accurate. My dad was told that his cancerous tumour was 100% gone after therapy. He was dead less than a year later.

Not sure anyone would know this, unless I've already told this forum in a drunken state, but I've within the last eighteen months caused a large measles outbreak in Melbourne.

What I can tell you is that the media scrutiny is pretty shit, what I experienced doesn't compare to what Connor would be feeling right now, but it was enough to show the pit of social media writ large and also enough for the ABC to want to interview me given I was classified as a Vietnamese tourist infecting the state as if I was the measles fairy spreading disease with more efficiency than L. T. Fly.

Connor will be fine, he's probably just relieved the harm wasn't as bad as it could have been and wouldn't be thinking about himself. Unless he's a narcissist or a sociopath, which nobody is suggesting he is.

ledge
24-06-2020, 08:10 PM

Have you noticed they aren’t reporting any suicides ?
They are up bigtime believe me, the last thing they want to mention is suicides and mental health because it’s worse than this pandemic that’s causing it.

bornadog
12-07-2020, 06:51 PM
Connor Mckenna out for a few weeks.

comrade
12-07-2020, 06:56 PM
Connor Mckenna out for a few weeks.

Shiel should get a holiday, too.

bornadog
12-07-2020, 07:00 PM
Shiel should get a holiday, too.

So many headhighs this weekend.

Remi Moses
12-07-2020, 07:07 PM
Eddie McGuire trying to get players off
Seriously
The whole result based outcome on an incident is Totally insane
Players keep beating head high contact charges , it will keep happening

bulldogsthru&thru
12-07-2020, 07:19 PM
I'm waiting for the typical pro-Essendon media to start thier subtle but not so subtle campaign to get Shiel off.

bornadog
12-07-2020, 07:23 PM
I'm waiting for the typical pro-Essendon media to start thier subtle but not so subtle campaign to get Shiel off.

He has been given two weeks

bulldogsthru&thru
12-07-2020, 07:26 PM

Yes seems I spoke too soon

Topdog
12-07-2020, 10:12 PM

and even the report of him getting 2 weeks referred to the incident as a tackle.....

He is lucky to get only 2, that was pretty shocking. Ran straight past the ball to collect a player

Remi Moses
12-07-2020, 10:28 PM
On that performance tonight they’ll cane us
Want to better than tonight

angelopetraglia
12-07-2020, 10:36 PM
Bombers will go in with no Heppell, Stringer or Shiel. Shiel will be a big loss. He has been their best this season.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-07-2020, 10:40 PM
Oh McDonald Tipungwuti is going to cause us absolute nightmares next week

comrade
13-07-2020, 09:38 AM
Oh McDonald Tipungwuti is going to cause us absolute nightmares next week

If we let them rebound from 50 at will and then set up as high defensively as we did v Carlton, then yup, he'll have a field day.

Rocket Science
20-07-2020, 02:02 PM
While we're enjoying dunking on the Dons drink up some of Lloyd's finest in advance of last Friday's pantsing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPekEyXqbHU

Bulldog Joe
20-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Just a reminder that today is the 6th Anniversary of Essendon's last win over the Bulldogs.

In the words of Marie Antoinette

"Let them eat cake"

Axe Man
22-07-2020, 09:40 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/SxJqYKbw/jack.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

From Facebook.

Top comment: "I think he offered to give my daughter a lift home from school the other day."

comrade
22-07-2020, 09:43 AM

From Facebook.

Top comment: "I think he offered to give my daughter a lift home from school the other day."

Last seen parked out the front of the Pascoe Vale TAB.

Mofra
22-07-2020, 09:47 AM
Surprised he still has a licence. I heard he was borderline flying during the pre-season.

EasternWest
22-07-2020, 10:46 AM

From Facebook.

This can't be real.

comrade
22-07-2020, 11:07 AM
This can't be real.

It's unreal.

Bulldog Joe
22-07-2020, 11:14 AM
It's unreal.

Probably just an Essendon fan who actually doesn't know Jakey's first name is really Jake.

Still might score a few schoolgirl pick ups

GVGjr
25-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Just heard the shot Matthew Lloyd made on Essendon last night
It's fair to say he is sick of the excuses being offered and expects a lot more from them

The Doctor
25-08-2020, 01:24 PM
5834 days since Essendon won a final with many more to come.

Rocket Science
25-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Just heard the shot Matthew Lloyd made on Essendon last night
It's fair to say he is sick of the excuses being offered and expects a lot more from them

Lloyd has become for Essington what Lyon has long been for the Dees and I'm here for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKcV7YyiSk0

GVGjr
25-08-2020, 01:36 PM
He didn't miss did he?

Axe Man
25-08-2020, 01:44 PM
5834 days since Essendon won a final with many more to come.

There is a Facebook event scheduled for 7 February 2021 to commemorate 6000 days without an Essendon finals win.

Happy Days
25-08-2020, 02:17 PM
Lloyd has become for Essington what Lyon has long been for the Dees and I'm here for it.

I was annoyed during the live broadcast over Lyon pretty much barracking for the Dees, but with the sting out on repeat viewing you can really feel his pain.

Rocket Science
25-08-2020, 08:11 PM
Another week, another member of the Bombre faithful issuing death threats (https://www.afl.com.au/news/490859/police-arrest-man-for-alleged-threats-to-star-tiger), bless them.

Grantysghost
25-08-2020, 08:27 PM
There is a Facebook event scheduled for 7 February 2021 to commemorate 6000 days without an Essendon finals win.

I don't have an account, but if there's ever been a better advertisement for getting one I've never seen it.