PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Hogan

GVGjr
24-11-2019, 10:31 PM
Fremantle is adamant Jesse Hogan has no case to answer despite being taken to hospital after crashing into a parked car in Perth on Sunday morning.

Hogan was taken to the Fiona Stanley Hospital but later discharged after being cleared by doctors.

It is understood the airbag in Hogan’s car went off when he hit the parked vehicle while distracted when reaching for an object on his front seat.

A passer-by called an ambulance, with fears Hogan had suffered concussion from his car’s airbag.

His manager Jason Dover told the Herald Sun Hogan would make a quick recovery.

“He is fine. He presented to hospital and they were worried about concussion symptoms after a member of the public rang the ambulance, but he was discharged quickly and he has been cleared by the doctors,” Dover said.

Fremantle confirmed the incident, with Hogan given the day off training on Monday.

A Fremantle team doctor was with him at the time while he was in hospital.

Hogan missed Round 1 last year after going out on an alcohol-fuelled bender leading into the season, with his battle with mental health issues subsequently revealed.

The club said earlier this year he was guilty of “poor alcohol choices” after he missed a club training session the day after a drinking session.

But Fremantle is confident Hogan’s car accident was a simple case of lost concentration, with no suspicion he was under the influence of alcohol or other prescribed medicine.

Hogan is recovering from a navicular fracture sustained in his first season at the Dockers, with the former Melbourne star on track to return early in the season.

The powerful key forward has been in the limelight for much of his time at Fremantle, with an old 2016 video emerging this year of him drunk and with his pants around his ankles at a party.

Axe Man
25-11-2019, 10:27 AM
I hate it when parked cars pull out in front of me! It came out of nowhere officer!

bornadog
25-11-2019, 11:10 AM
I hate it when parked cars pull out in front of me! It came out of nowhere officer!

Especially when I am trying to send a text :D

Testekill
25-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Hogan has some clear demons that he has trouble handling, hope he gets help.

ledge
25-11-2019, 01:57 PM
At least no alcohol was involved, that’s about the only plus.

Topdog
26-11-2019, 01:10 PM
At least no alcohol was involved, that’s about the only plus.

There is nothing that confirms this, just that he is under .05. In any case his issues weren't just with alcohol

Twodogs
26-11-2019, 02:48 PM
There is nothing that confirms this, just that he is under .05. In any case his issues weren't just with alcohol

The old Colombian marching powder is alleged to be a bit if an issue too. He's not on his own there- a lot of pro athletes like it-but he apparently has some really bad issues with it and is a "one is too many and a thousand is not enough"* type like me.

*AA saying.

westdog54
26-11-2019, 04:36 PM

This may not even have been confirmed. Its entirely possible he wasn't able to be Breath Tested at the scene, in which case he (if WA procedures are similar to Victoria), he'll have had a blood sample taken at the Hospital.

Mofra
26-11-2019, 05:15 PM
This may not even have been confirmed. Its entirely possible he wasn't able to be Breath Tested at the scene, in which case he (if WA procedures are similar to Victoria), he'll have had a blood sample taken at the Hospital.
Interesting the rumours that there was no police presence at the scene despite A Police policy being they attend any accident where the damage is likely to be > $3k (or if someone is injured).

Hogan doesn't seem in a great place.

bornadog
26-11-2019, 05:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKQi4YZUwAEn-tt?format=png&name=900x900

Axe Man
26-11-2019, 05:58 PM
Interesting the rumours that there was no police presence at the scene despite A Police policy being they attend any accident where the damage is likely to be > $3k (or if someone is injured).

Hogan doesn't seem in a great place.

I don't think they are rumours, seems to be a fact:

A witness called triple-0 and Hogan was taken to Fiona Stanley Hospital about 40 minutes later via ambulance. Firefighters also attended and cordoned the area but police did not attend the scene and were unable to provide further details on the crash.

Bizarrely happened near Joel Hamling's house, although he wasn't home.

Link (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hogan-returns-to-dockers-training-early-after-flipping-car-in-crash-20191125-p53dzs.html)

Go_Dogs
26-11-2019, 08:48 PM

Wow, that's more dramatic than the article made it seem.

Twodogs
26-11-2019, 09:12 PM
I don't think they are rumours, seems to be a fact:

Bizarrely happened near Joel Hamling's house, although he wasn't home.

Link (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hogan-returns-to-dockers-training-early-after-flipping-car-in-crash-20191125-p53dzs.html)

That reminds me that I heard on the radio this morning that he was leaving a BBQ at Hamling's house when it happened.

KT31
26-11-2019, 10:24 PM

Rumour is he was texting Talia, apparently both have lost their phones so it will never proven.:D:D

AshMac
27-11-2019, 07:12 AM
That reminds me that I heard on the radio this morning that he was leaving a BBQ at Hamling's house when it happened.

on sunday morning?

Testekill
27-11-2019, 01:56 PM

You can't hit a parked car and flip yourself when you're sober. Like if you can do that and are sober than clearly you shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore

ledge
28-11-2019, 01:13 AM
You can't hit a parked car and flip yourself when you're sober. Like if you can do that and are sober than clearly you shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore

Drink or drugs ?

jeemak
28-11-2019, 07:15 AM
It's actually much easier to roll a car than it seems sometimes. Hit a heavier car that's still whilst flinging away from it and you're possibly done.

He's really shat the bed in terms of public perception, but he's also very young and possibly very stupid which isn't something isolated to him. The best thing for him if his issues are reported correctly is for everyone to lay off a bit, but I can't see that happening.

People talk about addiction, though for the most part addiction isn't an issue. Fun is the major draw card for someone his age, profession and socio-economic situation, and until somebody or a club or whoever makes footy fun more broadly there's going to be more and more Jesse Hogans. Literally speaking, alcohol and drugs, going out and enjoying time with your mates, will continue to be more fun than playing on an AFL list. If you don't believe me, just weigh up the pros and cons for a moment, without thinking about your own life preferences.

Twodogs
28-11-2019, 11:53 AM
It's actually much easier to roll a car than it seems sometimes. Hit a heavier car that's still whilst flinging away from it and you're possibly done.

He's really shat the bed in terms of public perception, but he's also very young and possibly very stupid which isn't something isolated to him. The best thing for him if his issues are reported correctly is for everyone to lay off a bit, but I can't see that happening.

People talk about addiction, though for the most part addiction isn't an issue. Fun is the major draw card for someone his age, profession and socio-economic situation, and until somebody or a club or whoever makes footy fun more broadly there's going to be more and more Jesse Hogans. Literally speaking, alcohol and drugs, going out and enjoying time with your mates, will continue to be more fun than playing on an AFL list. If you don't believe me, just weigh up the pros and cons for a moment, without thinking about your own life preferences.

I aquaplaned the car just moving it from one parking spot to another spot across the road once. You just have to hit the accelerator at exactly the wrong time on a wet road and you end up in the neighbor's front yard! I had two kids in the car at the time so I wasn't in full rocket head mode either.

Automatic high performance cars don't help.

westdog54
28-11-2019, 10:14 PM

You'd be surprised.

Given what appears to be a lack of bumper/panel damage on the visible sides, I'm thinking distraction (on his phone) might have been a factor here.

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 11:14 AM
You'd be surprised.

Given what appears to be a lack of bumper/panel damage on the visible sides, I'm thinking distraction (on his phone) might have been a factor here.

Ho do you reckon they got him out of the car? I'd have thought that the sunroof was the obvious escape hatch or is that really dangerous for a reason that hasn't occured to me?* Or is he still in it when the photo was taken?

*Keeping in mind that I really, really like smashing my way through doors and I don't often stop to think about the alternatives.

westdog54
29-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Ho do you reckon they got him out of the car? I'd have thought that the sunroof was the obvious escape hatch or is that really dangerous for a reason that hasn't occured to me?* Or is he still in it when the photo was taken?

*Keeping in mind that I really, really like smashing my way through doors and I don't often stop to think about the alternatives.

The sunroof wouldn't have been an issue if it was able to be opened manually. A bloke of Hogan's size probably would've toppled the car if he'd tried to climb out of the driver's door. Where you can avoid smashing a window, you avoid smashing a window.

In saying that its not immediately obvious where he's exited from in that photo.

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 02:01 PM
The sunroof wouldn't have been an issue if it was able to be opened manually. A bloke of Hogan's size probably would've toppled the car if he'd tried to climb out of the driver's door. Where you can avoid smashing a window, you avoid smashing a window.

In saying that its not immediately obvious where he's exited from in that photo.

I reckon that he's still in the car in that photo.

Although I think that the airbags are deployed, I'm thinking there isn't room inside the car for the airbags to be full and a guy the size of Hogan.

westdog54
29-11-2019, 05:39 PM
I reckon that he's still in the car in that photo.

Although I think that the airbags are deployed, I'm thinking there isn't room inside the car for the airbags to be full and a guy the size of Hogan.

Now that I look at it again, I'm beginning to think he wasn't alone in the car.

The reason I say this is because one of the passenger side airbags appears to be deployed.

In some modern cars the airbags don't deploy if there isn't a seatbelt being worn by the occupant of that seat.

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 07:55 PM
Now that I look at it again, I'm beginning to think he wasn't alone in the car.

The reason I say this is because one of the passenger side airbags appears to be deployed.

In some modern cars the airbags don't deploy if there isn't a seatbelt being worn by the occupant of that seat.

Both bags are definitely deployed.

GVGjr
29-01-2020, 10:26 PM
FREMANTLE star Jesse Hogan is taking time away from football for mental health reasons.

"Jesse needs time away from the club so he can manage mental health challenges that he is dealing with and focus on his general wellbeing," general manager of football Peter Bell said.

"We believe it is the most appropriate course of action and, more importantly, it is what is best for Jesse's long-term health and wellbeing.

"We will continue to provide all the necessary and ongoing care and support Jessie requires, as we would do for any of our players."

Hogan was recovering from foot surgery that restricted him to 12 games in his first season with the Dockers last year.

Mofra
30-01-2020, 10:37 AM
Jesus the AFL world can be savage.

He's in his early 20s, lost his father, had cancer himself then has had a serious foot injury to deal with while being under enormous scrutiny and already there are people online spreading all sorts of rumours about him and slamming his character.

And people wonder why mental health issues are on the rise in the AFL.

GVGjr
30-01-2020, 10:47 AM
Jesus the AFL world can be savage.

He's in his early 20s, lost his father, had cancer himself then has had a serious foot injury to deal with while being under enormous scrutiny and already there are people online spreading all sorts of rumours about him and slamming his character.

And people wonder why mental health issues are on the rise in the AFL.

He's very fortunate that he's in an environment that is highly professional and very aware of the MH challenges sportsman might face
We shouldn't question why, just accept that Freo will fully support him

Twodogs
30-01-2020, 12:14 PM
He's very fortunate that he's in an environment that is highly professional and very aware of the MH challenges sportsman might face
We shouldn't question why, just accept that Freo will fully support him

Well said Gary. Nobody can pretend to understand what struggles are going in in someone else's mind. But like you say the ilver lining is he is in an environment where he will be looked after and nurtured. And the competitive environment and physical nature of training for AFL footy should be good for him to

AshMac
06-02-2020, 09:05 AM
SEN reporting (via some WA journo) that Freo are getting close to deciding to move Hogan on.

Apparently he has lost the confidence of the coaching staff and senior playing list and has been too undisciplined.

Performance based contract so minimum $ impact.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/05/are-the-dockers-set-to-move-jesse-hogan-on/

GVGjr
06-02-2020, 09:48 AM
Good luck to him, there is a fair suggestion that he has some other challenges but that is speculation until confirmed
If true this is a big loss for Freo but other players will get their opportunities

Mofra
06-02-2020, 09:57 AM
SEN reporting (via some WA journo) that Freo are getting close to deciding to move Hogan on.

Apparently he has lost the confidence of the coaching staff and senior playing list and has been too undisciplined.

Performance based contract so minimum $ impact.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/05/are-the-dockers-set-to-move-jesse-hogan-on/
It's Hagdorn though who has an amazing ability to get things wrong.

Anecdotally, football reporters on report on about 10% of what they hear. Kim must be up to about 80%.

mjp
06-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Anecdotally, football reporters on report on about 10% of what they hear. Kim must be up to about 80%.

I think in this case he is pretty close to correct.

Dry Rot
06-02-2020, 05:35 PM
So who would take Hogan?

jeemak
06-02-2020, 05:44 PM
So who would take Hogan?

Melbourne.

AshMac
06-02-2020, 07:04 PM

Maybe but I refuse to believe any club would ignore that many videos of a young star being absolutely munted in public

Mofra
07-02-2020, 11:13 AM
Maybe but I refuse to believe any club would ignore that many videos of a young star being absolutely munted in public
True. I guess there would have to be a reason Melbourne were willing to trade him while under contract.

AshMac
07-02-2020, 07:23 PM
True. I guess there would have to be a reason Melbourne were willing to trade him while under contract.

We see this all the time with kids with that much hype - they cannot focus on the game properly and commit to training as it has all come so easily up until AFL level.

I know he has offield issues so not minimising the impact of them - from a distance he doesn’t look a hard worker.

Perhaps being dumped will give him the wake up call he needs and his work rate can start to match his elite talent

GVGjr
07-02-2020, 07:57 PM
We see this all the time with kids with that much hype - they cannot focus on the game properly and commit to training as it has all come so easily up until AFL level.

I know he has offield issues so not minimising the impact of them - from a distance he doesn’t look a hard worker.

Perhaps being dumped will give him the wake up call he needs and his work rate can start to match his elite talent

The rumors about Hogan aren't flattering but unless Fremantle act on them they are still just rumors. I'm not sure they will move him on as is being suggested.

jeemak
07-02-2020, 08:53 PM
The rumors about Hogan aren't flattering but unless Fremantle act on them they are still just rumors. I'm not sure they will move him on as is being suggested.

What are the rumours other than he likes to swallow things that make his bottom jaw more prominent than it usually is?

Twodogs
07-02-2020, 09:15 PM
What are the rumours other than he likes to swallow things that make his bottom jaw more prominent than it usually is?

Suck your teeth!

ledge
08-02-2020, 01:50 PM
From the outside he has always seemed like a different cat, Libba comes to mind.
Not a bad thing sometimes it can actually be a plus.
But if he has gone off the rails as well it might not be the normal rehab that fixes it.
He has also been through a lot in recent years family and health wise.
I guess it’s a watch this space thing.

The Adelaide Connection
30-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Hogan in hot water: Police investigate breach after woman visits Docker in quarantine

Fremantle forward Jesse Hogan is facing a possible sanction from his club, with police investigating an alleged breach of Western Australia quarantine rules.

The Dockers on Wednesday confirmed Hogan would be forced to complete his quarantine in a hotel after a female non-resident of Hogan’s home visited his house.

It’s alleged the visitor entered the premises the day after Fremantle returned from Queensland.

Hogan informed the Dockers on Tuesday night that police had visited his home in accordance with the WA Government’s quarantine monitoring procedures.

Fremantle forward Jesse Hogan is facing a possible sanction from his club, with police investigating an alleged breach of Western Australia quarantine rules.

The Dockers on Wednesday confirmed Hogan would be forced to complete his quarantine in a hotel after a female non-resident of Hogan’s home visited his house.

It’s alleged the visitor entered the premises the day after Fremantle returned from Queensland.

Hogan informed the Dockers on Tuesday night that police had visited his home in accordance with the WA Government’s quarantine monitoring procedures.

We have worked very closely and effectively with WA police, the State Government and the AFL throughout the year, which provided us with the opportunity to complete our AFL season.

“The co-operation and understanding we have received from all parties during the season is something we do not take for granted. This makes the breach even more disappointing and incredibly frustrating.

“We will wait for Jesse to complete his hotel quarantine before determining what club-imposed sanction he will face.

“In the meantime, we will be reinforcing with all quarantined players and staff the importance of strict adherence to their quarantine protocols.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-jesse-hogan-quarantine-breach-wa-police-investigation-fremantle-statement/news-story/1f1c4b0c8e5a2bcd301833ecaf0b421f

SquirrelGrip
30-09-2020, 03:12 PM
That's pretty stiff. Wonder how he was dobbed in?

The Pie Man
30-09-2020, 03:28 PM
Coming from a hub with (obviously) no cases, from a state with virtually no cases.....

:rolleyes:

bornadog
30-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Coming from a hub with (obviously) no cases, from a state with virtually no cases.....

:rolleyes:

Rules are rules

EasternWest
30-09-2020, 03:54 PM
I'm starting to think that maybe Jesse's a bit of an idiot.

Axe Man
30-09-2020, 06:12 PM
I'm starting to think that maybe Jesse's a bit of an idiot.

What makes you say that?

https://i.postimg.cc/WbqpYkSr/hogan.jpg (https://postimg.cc/zV51V3sX)

https://i.postimg.cc/zGmzsGPQ/hogancar.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
30-09-2020, 06:17 PM
Was a smart arse to Tom Boyd as well in a game carrying on about Tom's contract dollars.

jeemak
30-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Was a smart arse to Tom Boyd as well in a game carrying on about Tom's contract dollars.

Well we all know how that turned out...…..

Twodogs
30-09-2020, 07:34 PM
That's pretty stiff. Wonder how he was dobbed in?

Sounds like Jesse might have been at various times during the visit too.

FrediKanoute
01-10-2020, 02:42 AM
Funny how that golden generation of forwards has amounted to very little......Peter Wright, Jesse Hogan, Jake Stringer, Paddy McCartin, Patton......even Boyd, though he won a premiership, probably never reached his peak (not a criticism, just an observation)

ledge
01-10-2020, 05:06 AM
Funny how that golden generation of forwards has amounted to very little......Peter Wright, Jesse Hogan, Jake Stringer, Paddy McCartin, Patton......even Boyd, though he won a premiership, probably never reached his peak (not a criticism, just an observation)

Stringer got a flag too

Mofra
01-10-2020, 10:03 AM
You could almost put Hipwood in there too as someone who looked like a world beater but will be "very good" rather than a superstar he once promised to be.

One generation afterwards look like absolute stars though - the King twins and Naughton all look in a hurry to be the best 3 KPFs in the game sooner rather than later.
Then there's Lukosious who is playing back but is a sublime field kick for a big man and will clearly get better as he fills out. If he does go forward he & Ben King will be an incredible combo. Fogarty and Larkey are a rung below but look like they'll have long careers.

comrade
01-10-2020, 10:09 AM
The golden generation was a false dawn before the coming of the true messiah...

Jamarra.

Ozza
01-10-2020, 10:49 AM

Of those names, Hogan and Stringer have shown the most at AFL level clearly...but haven't had the attitude to really cement themselves as a top player in the game. The others seem to be a case of recruiters getting carried away with big kids dominating the junior competitions.

comrade
01-10-2020, 11:07 AM
Of those names, Hogan and Stringer have shown the most at AFL level clearly...but haven't had the attitude to really cement themselves as a top player in the game. The others seem to be a case of recruiters getting carried away with big kids dominating the junior competitions.

I definitely think we've seen the last of big chunky 195-2m+ kids getting picked at the top end of the draft.

mjp
01-10-2020, 06:36 PM

Having coached in the pathway a bit, the ones who came through were:

2011 - Patton was the big bad.
2012 - All about the boy Daniher - but Hogan played as a 17 year old and was pretty handy.
2013 - Tom Boyd all day - but injured in Perth (ankle). McCartin was a bottom-ager who looked the best of anyone. We'll never know on Hogan as he was drafted a year early (along with Jack Martin...and Jaeger O'Meara the year before...I'm not bitter). McCarthy was the late comer and had a couple of amazing games in the champs.**
2014 - Was supposed to be McCartin but...well...diabetes was knocking him about and he didn't look the same player. 2m Peter was all the rage but was splitting time in the ruck and his mobility was being HEAVILY questioned.
2015 - The one (well, one of the ones!) you missed. Josh Schache. Long left footer who I think set the gk record for the champs after beating up on the worst collection of 18year olds ever assembled (maybe a big call, but jeesh)...though to be fair Geelong did select a young kpp by the name of Ryan Gardner so it couldn't have been all bad!

** - McCarthy won the award for "Pulling the wool over the recruiters eyes" this year.

This isn't to say he isn't talented (he is), just that every year a player does the following:
- Appears on the scene 'LATE' - as in has never been involved in the pathway before. McCarthy was training with an amateur club and wasn't really even on the radar of his WAFL club in January.
- Player is thrust to the forefront. In Cam's case, there was literally 'no-one else'...he kicked a few goals for SF and was in the state squad.
- Player has a good but not 'unbelievable' champs.
- Player immediately on impressing everyone, suffers season ending BUT non-'critical' injury. In Cam's case, broken leg in final game of champs (just before half time) cost him the rest of the season.

This happens every year. With players they know - they look back. With players they don't, they project forward. (They = club recruiters). With McCarthy, they knew nothing so projected ahead with a 195cm mobile forward and...hey presto, 1st round pick.