PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Cody Weightman

Pages : [1] 2

Twodogs
27-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Small forward who presents well, using his anticipation and strength with his overhead marking to be a lively target.

Pick 15 2019 AFL National draft.

Eastdog
27-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Welcome to the Bulldogs Cody!

Any video footage?

Bulldog4life
27-11-2019, 09:27 PM
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/cody-weightman/

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “An electric small forward who kicks goals in bags and can take high marks, Weightman’s outstanding National Championships propelled him up draft boards into first round contention.”

ARGUABLY the leading pure small forward in this year’s crop, Dandenong excitement machine Cody Weightman enjoyed a stellar national carnival which helped him catch the eye of fans and recruiters alike. The Haileybury Collegian spent a large chunk of his year playing school football, but managed six NAB League appearances and all four Vic Country outings in between where he found some of his best form. His showpiece games came for the ‘Big V’ against the Allies and South Australia, booting four goals in each match to finish as the carnival’s leading goalkicker and put his name in lights. An archetypical small type, Weightman has most of the athletic traits that clubs desire and undeniable natural talent inside 50 on the ground, in the air, and around goal. A club with specific small forward needs would look no further than Weightman as early as in the first round, but he could also slide just outside of the first 25-odd picks.

STRENGTHS:

X-factor
Goal sense
Vertical leap
Footy IQ
Aggression

IMPROVEMENTS:

Consistency
Versatility

The thing that best defines a player like Weightman is X-factor. Small forwards typically have it in spades and the Dandenong product is no different, providing a spark inside 50 to whichever side he lined up for this year. His most eye-catching passages come through his break-neck attack on the ball both in the air and at ground level, with Weightman using his outstanding vertical leap (83 running and 69 standing at the National Draft Combine) to take high marks and his smarts to navigate opponents when the ball hits the deck. From there, Weightman has great spatial awareness and while he is only relatively quick and agile, can find enough space to have a clean shot on goal. Endurance is also a deceptively good part of his game, with his pre-season yo-yo test score of 21.4 elite for his position (despite decreasing at the National Combine) and boding well for repeat efforts inside 50. Weightman’s presence then becomes two-fold, with his aggressive attack on the ball translating to defensive pressure – despite not having massive tackle numbers.

Those numbers of 1.3 in six games for Dandenong and 2.0 for Vic Country will need to lift at the next level, especially given he is far less likely at his size to get a run up the ground as he did late-on for the Stingrays. That is all a part of ticking each box in your best position first, before possibly transitioning into a different kind of player. Weightman wins good amounts of ball for a small too despite having the odd game below his NAB League average of around 15, with a good ratio between his contested and uncontested possessions. That points toward adding versatility down the line – having spent a short space of time in midfield late in the year for Dandenong – as well as consistently finding the form that saw him boot four goals in two of his national carnival games. At his best, Weightman is unstoppable inside 50, and has great upside in terms of developing into a player who can tear games apart each week

Mofra
Some here: https://draftprospects.prod.afl/prospect/1011803

Not sure how long they'll keep that page up.

Twodogs
Welcome to the Bulldogs Cody!

Any video footage?

There is but I can't figure out how to post it.

BornInDroopSt'54
Weightman seems both fit for our needs and best available. Welcome Cody!
I'm thinking Matty Robbins.

Twodogs
27-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Weightman seems both fit for our needs and best available. Welcome Toby!

Cody.

Hotdog60
Ben Cavarra

173cm 72kg
AFL games 0

Cody Weightman

177cm 73kg
AFL Games 0

Ben needs some luck and some form or his AFL career maybe short lived.

chef
Great get and perfect for us. Happy days

jeemak
It's nice that we drafted a natural forward with whom to replace Dickson, irrespective of him fitting our specific needs for someone more capable of hunting a ground footy.

As BIDS54 said, possibly covered best available as well as needs which is rare in the first round at pick 15.

josie
27-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Welcome Toby! What a forward line we are building. Has a very endearing personality - will be popular with the young fans and a Dalhaus marketing replacement. Also think he is really happy to be with us based on pre-draft interview yesterday.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-11-2019, 09:40 PM
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=3137709052966115&_rdr

bulldogtragic
27-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Melbourne were apparently going to take Cody at Pick 8.
Then media days Dogs into Pickett.
Melbourne then takes Pickett. (Buckanara rates 35)
Dogs scoop up Weightman at Pick 15. (Buckanara rates 17)

Bucky says:

17. Cody Weightman

177cm, 73kg, Vic Country/Dandenong Stingrays, small forward

Buckenara says: The speedy small forward really impressed this season and topped the goal kicking in his four under-18 championships games after finishing with nine. Weightman likes to fly for his marks, a trait in small forwards which has come to the fore in recent years, so expect some strong interest from clubs looking for this type of player. While he does play a bit taller than his stature suggests, he’s very dangerous at ground level and will apply pressure. He brings excitement and is the pick of the small forwards in this draft outside Liam Henry, who Fremantle has first access to.

Plays like: Jamie Elliott

Stats: Disposals 11.0, marks 3.5, goals 2.3, score involvements 4.5, pressure acts 10.3, tackles 2.0, ranking points 80

choconmientay
27-11-2019, 09:53 PM
https://youtu.be/muUkBw7Qlu8

choconmientay
27-11-2019, 09:56 PM
This one is posted in some posts above

https://youtu.be/sKS-iBPxtU4

BornInDroopSt'54
27-11-2019, 09:56 PM
Welcome Toby! What a forward line we are building. Has a very endearing personality - will be popular with the young fans and a Dalhaus marketing replacement. Also think he is really happy to be with us based on pre-draft interview yesterday.

And when we get Ugle-Hagan next year the forward line will be startling.

comrade
27-11-2019, 09:59 PM
Definitely fills a need and seems like the type that won't leave any stone unturned to get the most out of himself.

Reminds me a little of a more polished Dahlhaus which is exciting. Can see our young supporters loving him.

josie
27-11-2019, 10:02 PM
One of the snaps in highlights was on left foot rather then his preferred right. Tackling looks good too. Reckon the dogs fans are gonna have fun yelling “Co-deeee”. A Picken replacement as small crumbing/marking forward who is very competitive?

I do hope Cavarra has some luck as I do think he has something to offer - good disposal from what I have seen in vfl. We do have 4 to 5 rather short players now (Cody, West, Cavarra and Caleb & possibly Maclean). Will be interesting with competition for spots from our short brigade.

lemmon
27-11-2019, 10:08 PM
One of the snaps in highlights was on left foot rather then his preferred right. Tackling looks good too. Reckon the dogs fans are gonna have fun yelling “Co-deeee”. A Picken replacement as small crumbing/marking forward who is very competitive?

I do hope Cavarra has some luck as I do think he has something to offer - good disposal from what I have seen in vfl. We do have 4 to 5 rather short players now (Cody, West, Cavarra and Caleb & possibly Maclean). Will be interesting with competition for spots from our short brigade.

Weightman's leap helps. Doesn't play small.

KT31
27-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Weightman seems both fit for our needs and best available. Welcome Cody!
I'm thinking Matty Robbins.
Watching the footage, Robbins was the first player I thought of.

KT31
27-11-2019, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the club Cody, hopefully a long,prosperous and many goal career in whats becoming a very exciting forward line.

Dry Rot
27-11-2019, 10:36 PM
I like his highlights packages, but particularly his pressure acts and second efforts.

We'll need that with three tall forwards and Dale and Lloyd are not renowned for that.

strebla
27-11-2019, 11:26 PM
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=3137709052966115&_rdr

Watched this vid there is another just below it featuring a n international in Ireland went a rather feisty jack Russell gets on the ground who played very hard for the ball I thought this bodes well

divvydan
27-11-2019, 11:30 PM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1199647738268250113 Interview with Cody at the draft tonight from WB twitter account.

GVGjr
27-11-2019, 11:53 PM
I just found this article (https://www.youngwitness.com.au/story/6509923/weightman-has-afl-draft-on-his-mind/)

Most 18-year-olds heading to Bali after their school exams don't have meditation in mind.

Then again, most of those teenagers aren't prospective round-one AFL draft picks.

Cody Weightman used some of the holiday to clear his head, with the small forward tipped to join the Western Bulldogs in Wednesday night's selections.

"Mentally it was awesome, just to be alone for 10 days in the end and really consider things deeply, find a bit of peace," he said.

"I did a heap of meditation, a bit of yoga, all that.

"I love all that stuff.

"The mental side of football is the most developing area in our game; everyone tries to get ahead of the game and that's for me."

Also in Bali, Weightman made contact with former Essendon player Rick Olarenshaw and kept up his training to make sure he is ready for his first AFL pre-season.

Weightman was seen at Bulldogs training last week, intensifying the speculation that he will be their round-one pick.

"It's a lovely place and I'd be stoked if I could end up at the Dogs - but pretty much likewise for any other club too," Weightman said of Whitten Oval.

His love of a high-flying mark has many drawing comparisons to Collingwood's Jamie Elliott and he certainly has the chatty personality of a goalsneak.

Weightman has been a bolter this season, earning All-Australian honours after starting the year with a much lower profile among the draft hopefuls.

"I was definitely further down the pecking order," he said.

"It just goes to show, I didn't change a whole heap, I just backed in what I was doing and stayed really committed and true to myself.

"Footy is just a real passion for me. It's the love of my life basically this far. I was never going to quit.

"It's that confidence and belief; you just have to really back yourself and stay true to your character."

weltschmerz
28-11-2019, 12:15 AM
Given that McAsey wasn't going to make it to our pick, I was really hoping for Weightman. A great choice by us.

bornadog
28-11-2019, 12:41 AM
What round will he debut?

BornInDroopSt'54
28-11-2019, 12:52 AM

That snap on the left was awesome, he had no time just cooly threaded it on the turn.

chef
28-11-2019, 09:21 AM

Round 1.

Grantysghost
28-11-2019, 09:35 AM
That's proper goal kicking technique he's got there what a unique ability :cool:. Great addition.

KT31
28-11-2019, 09:39 AM

All goes well Bevo should will give him the nod Round 1.

bornadog
28-11-2019, 10:26 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/ad_img/1199813898557243393/FillJ9Pj?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2019, 10:34 AM
Looks like he will fit in very well both from a playing and character perspective.

I still wonder if we can afford to play Lloyd, Dale, Dickson and Schache in the same forward line. Dickson is petering out now but the other 3 don't apply defensive pressure.

I wouldn't mind another pressure forward, though that may rob us of goals as Lloyd, Dale and Schache have hit the scoreboard well.

ledge
28-11-2019, 10:36 AM
We seem to have a model of player we look at which is one who lives and breathes football, has high ambitions to get the best out of football , life and also driven in everything they choose to do.
I see huge similarities with Cody and Bailey, almost twins in that regard.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2019, 10:37 AM
I loved the way he talked about us pre-draft and the way his face lit up when talking about us. He was happy to be drafted but really wanted us. As members (& fans) what more could you want than a Top 15 kid who wants to be, and is excited to be, at our club (& who is very talented as a small forward). He looks very happy in the RW&B and I see him becoming a fan favourite nearly immediately.

Dancin' Douggy
28-11-2019, 10:43 AM
To be fair to Schache, I believe he is improving in this area of his game.
Looks like he will fit in very well both from a playing and character perspective.

I still wonder if we can afford to play Lloyd, Dale, Dickson and Schache in the same forward line. Dickson is petering out now but the other 3 don't apply defensive pressure.

I wouldn't mind another pressure forward, though that may rob us of goals as Lloyd, Dale and Schache have hit the scoreboard well.

comrade
28-11-2019, 11:36 AM
I loved the way he talked about us pre-draft and the way his face lit up when talking about us. He was happy to be drafted but really wanted us. As members (& fans) what more could you want than a Top 15 kid who wants to be, and is excited to be, at our club (& who is very talented as a small forward). He looks very happy in the RW&B and I see him becoming a fan favourite nearly immediately.

There were a few top 10 picks that looked like they were being led to the gallows after getting their name called out.

Testekill
28-11-2019, 11:41 AM
Sounds like he lives and breathes football.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2019, 11:54 AM
There were a few top 10 picks that looked like they were being led to the gallows after getting their name called out.

Absolutely.

Q)"How does it feel going to Freo?"
A) "I'm just excited to have my name called out"
Real A) "A part of me just died inside"

Whereas Cody was just short of acting like he was in 'The Price is Right' audience and his name called out and sprinted to the microphone and podium, high fiving everyone.

Twodogs
28-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Absolutely.

Q)"How does it feel going to Freo?"
A) "I'm just excited to have my name called out"
Real A) "A part of me just died inside"

Whereas Cody was just short of acting like he was in 'The Price is Right' audience and his name called out and sprinted to the microphone and podium, high fiving everyone.

Yep, there was some real "How long is two years gonna take?" moments last night.

comrade
28-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Yep, there was some real "How long is two years gonna take?" moments last night.

It's likely that attitude will change once their inside the club and become buddies with their teammates, but I really hope we're keeping in touch with McAsey over the next 2 years. It's not like Adelaide have a great track record of keeping promising KPDs and we're not exactly on the best terms with them.

Mofra
28-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Sounds like he lives and breathes football.
In one interview he mentioned he'd watch all 9 games on the weekend up until this year.

Axe Man
28-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Draft reward for willing Weightman (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-11-28/draft-reward-for-willing-weightman)

In the front yard of Cody Weightman's family property there is a mini basketball court with a ring up against the shed.

Growing up, Weightman would stand at his house in Pakenham, in Victoria's south-east, kicking a stack of footballs until he got them through the ring 40 metres away.

After perfecting that, he then moved out the back, where his father Rob had set up a net and a bullseye target in the middle of it.

Again, Weightman stood out there for hours after school until he regularly hit the hole.

"He practiced and practiced and practiced until he was banging them in," Rob recalled. "If he wants to do something, he'll practice until he gets it right."

What Weightman wants is to be drafted. And as this year has progressed, it's looked more and more likely, with the Dandenong Stingrays goalkicker winning All Australian honours after a standout NAB AFL Under-18 Championships for Vic Country.

"The draft is certainly at the top of my bucket list," Weightman told AFL.com.au.

He's known that for a long time. When he was 12, he enlisted the help of long-time running coach Bohdan Babijczuk with a focus on injury prevention but also to build his speed and technique.

There he met Jack Higgins, who was two years older but on his trajectory to the AFL. The pair became close friends, and Weightman still talks weekly to the young Richmond midfielder.

Weightman did everything Higgins did, including starting work with personal trainer Val Stoimenov last pre-season.

Stoimenov is based in Gisborne – a four-hour round trip from Weightman's house – but he went out there for two sessions a week over last summer, at first overcoming minor knee surgery and then finding ways to become a more explosive player.

Seeing Higgins' impact at AFL level – particularly given they are about the same stature (Weightman stands 177cm and 73kg) – has given the 18-year-old plenty of confidence.

"His training standards are elite. It's something I try to copy and put into my game," he said.

"He's had people critique him in a lot of ways and he hasn't taken a bar of any of it. He's just forged his own path. We all have people who might doubt us but the way he's gone about it and used it as motivation is something I do as well now."

It would be hard to find a draft prospect more prepared this year than Weightman. As well as his running and strength mentors, he does pilates and meditation to help switch off, and can be regularly found in ice baths and compression pants refreshing his body.

"He's at AFL standard already for his professionalism," said Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd, who is a coach at Haileybury College, where Weightman was the captain of the football side this season.

Weightman has reaped the benefits this year. When deep in attack he doesn't miss a chance, swooping on loose balls, creating opportunities and rarely wasting them.

He kicked two bags of four goals for Vic Country, and is an energetic, at times in-your-face player. Weightman idolised Collingwood's Jamie Elliott growing up, and now enjoys watching Sydney star Tom Papley in attack.

"He's got a lot to his game now," Lloyd said of Weightman. "He can sit on heads, he can crumb, he uses both sides of his body and we've also seen now he can go into the midfield."

Flying for marks has always been Weightman's way. A background in wakeboarding, surfing and skiing might explain his fearlessness, but it's come naturally.

"I wasn't super small throughout my juniors so that helped. I've been able to jump and try to use other people to get up there," he said.

"I try to have my moments where I can hopefully change the balance of a game and have a really big impact in a short space of time."

His rise has led to one regular question this year: is he related to Richmond great Dale 'The Flea' Weightman?

"I'm not, I don't think so. We haven't really tested the theory, but I don't think there's anything in it," he said.

"I said to one club 'I'm not, but I claim it sometimes, it depends who I'm talking to'. It's pretty much the first question I get asked. We're pretty matchable I guess."

Weightman doesn't have much spare time in between finishing school, training, playing, recovering and doing it all again, but a little of it is spent selling cows.

You read that right. As a kid, Weightman's dad offered him and his three siblings the opportunity to make some money. If they invested $400, he'd help them sell cows to market and they'd double their money.

Cody was the only one who took up the offer, although as the youngest he didn't have any cash himself so worked off his debt with jobs around the house.

The Angus cattle are sold to a company after being raised on Weightman's expansive land, with Weightman pocketing the money every year.

"I don't really do much for it. I just give dad the money, they come along and then I get my pay back," he said.

"I try not to get too attached to them, it's a bit brutal for my liking. It's a benefit of living somewhere with a bit of land. It would've paid for my car."

The car has come in handy this year for the hour-long trips to school every day and the multitude of extras he does on top of that.

Although he's not leaving things to luck, he still hopes it's on his side.

"I'm a bit superstitious," he said. "Ever since I was super young when I've had a packet of chips and got the wish chips (the ones that are folded over each other), I've always wished to be a footballer. I can't remember how long I've been doing that. It's the one thing I've aspired to."

Sedat
28-11-2019, 02:30 PM
He's the prototypical late improver in his final U18 year that we love selecting.

divvydan
28-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Just watching the interviews/bts stuff with him, he comes across as very bubbly and outgoing and seems to have a naturally positive vibe about him.

comrade
28-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Just watching the interviews/bts stuff with him, he comes across as very bubbly and outgoing and seems to have a naturally positive vibe about him.

Reminds me a lot of young Dahl in multiple ways.

Eastdog
29-11-2019, 12:31 AM
Watched this vid there is another just below it featuring a n international in Ireland went a rather feisty jack Russell gets on the ground who played very hard for the ball I thought this bodes well

That video was funny. The dog was right in the action in that game :)

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 11:10 AM

I watched it three times while googling ''Jack Russell, AFL" until I worked that you meant the dog, dawg!

bornadog
29-11-2019, 11:49 AM
I think this kid will surprise us and star in his first year.

GVGjr
29-11-2019, 12:46 PM
I think this kid will surprise us and star in his first year.

I hope so, with Lukas Webb moving on I was looking for another player to sponsor a few weeks back and settled for whoever we drafted with our first pick. I got an email yesterday morning confirming that I will be one of his sponsors next year

I liked Webby, he was always a friendly guy, so I'm looking to meeting Cody Weightman

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Just as a matter of interest is Cody related to Dale Weightman?

Bulldog4life
29-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Just as a matter of interest is Cody related to Dale Weightman?

No relation.

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 02:13 PM
No relation.

Cheers. Dale was a gun and if Cody is anywhere near as good then we have got ourselves a star.

Bulldog4life
29-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Cheers. Dale was a gun and if Cody is anywhere near as good then we have got ourselves a star.

Yep the Flea was a champ Td. Wonder if they will use the same nickname on Cody?

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Yep the Flea was a champ Td. Wonder if they will use the same nickname on Cody?

Dale Weightman was a type 1 diabetic too. He is the only player that I can think of from the top of my head that overcame that illness (It's rife in my family so I keep a wary eye out for it in my kids) to have a decent footy career. I can remember saying to GVGjr when St Kilda took Paddy McCartin at #1 that I thought it was a mistake due to his condition. Sam Reid (our Sam Reid who went to GWS) also suffers with it. He say's it affects his stamina.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Cody is very photogenic and the press seem to be using him as a poster boy for the draft. Blondes have more fun.

azabob
29-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Twodogs Cripps at West Coast, Nathan Basset former crow, Jack Fitzpatrick former Hawk and Demon(?) and new Western Bulldogs AFLW assistant coach are also type 1 diabetic.

PS, I don’t reckon Sam suffers with it, he lives with it and would have helped his resolve to continue his career as an AFL footballer.

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 10:21 PM
Twodogs Cripps at West Coast, Nathan Basset former crow, Jack Fitzpatrick former Hawk and Demon(?) and new Western Bulldogs AFLW assistant coach are also type 1 diabetic.

PS, I don’t reckon Sam suffers with it, he lives with it and would have helped his resolve to continue his career as an AFL footballer.

I didn't know that about Jack Fitzpatrick. It's a shame because I always a huge fan of his ability and I always wondered what it was that held him back. Now it makes sense.

Axe Man
04-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Weightman joins the kennel (https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/sport/2019-12-03/weightman-joins-the-kennel/)

Cody Weightman is officially a Western Bulldog.

At pick #15, the Western Bulldogs selected Weightman, fulfilling his childhood dream to play at the elite level.

In the lead up to the draft, Weightman was publicised heavily touring the facilities of Whitten Oval, but before the tour he spent some time on the Western side of Victoria to clear his mind.

“In the last few days if you are doing an interview with a club, it is a pretty strong indicator they are showing interest, they just want to make that connection stronger and show the kid the future and what he might be stepping into,” he said.

“I got back from Bali and I went over to Torquay with a few other boys that got drafted, Sam De Koning’s place in Torquay, with Ned Cahill and Hayden Young.

“Basically we all wanted the same thing, to keep our minds active and get away from it; it is a pretty consuming time leading up to the draft.

“It is important to try and get away for us so we have done a few of those Torquay trips to get away, do a bit of surfing together, bit of golf and talk about life – rather than just footy.”

Going into draft night, many draftees are confident where their new home will be, but never certain. For Weightman it was no different, before a subtle hint from those at Fox Footy.

“For me, I didn’t care where it was or when it was but I wanted to go on the first night and make sure I got it over and done with on the first night, and move forward from then on,” he said.

“I knew the Dogs were certainly keen, I knew come pick 15 there was a really good chance I was going to be at the Dogs.

“The cameras started to walk towards me before the pick was even read out so I had a good idea that it was about to happen.”

As soon as his name was called, it was no rest for Weightman, whose phone was constantly buzzing. The were mainly messages from his friends and family, his Haileybury mentor, and his new teammates, but it was a now-opposition player who Weightman has idolised in recent times who provided a really special moment for the small-forward.

“Pretty much the whole team got on to me, which was pretty cool – all the players got around me,” he said.

“Billy Gowers and I were FaceTiming – I got to have a chat with him between media breaks.

“I had a chat to Lloydy and stuff and hopefully have a coffee with him soon now I live a bit closer to him.

“He has been huge for me and certainly will have another chat with him.

“Charlie Cameron actually got onto me, which I thought was pretty cool from him.

“He is a player I like to base my game around and threw out some help and encouragement, which was pretty cool from him.”

Weightman grew up as an invested Collingwood supporter, and if all goes well over pre-season he could be lining up in Round 1 against his childhood heroes in front of a packed house at Marvel Stadium. While that’s a goal for him, Weightman is aware and looking forward to the hard work that needs to be done before then.

“It would be unreal; it is certainly a bit of a goal,” he said.

“There is a lot that needs to happen before then but if all went to plan that would be absolutely crazy – a Round 1 debut against Collingwood at Marvel, would be a full house.

“That is certainly something to work hard on, but (there’s) no promise in footy and I have a lot to do before that opportunity potentially comes.

“You get in and work hard.

“You earn your respect to the players – that is the main thing for me, earning that strong respect from the playing group and earning trust from them because that is going to hold you in good stead for the future.

“For me, that is that the top of my list, getting in and showing I am willing to work hard and get towards the one direction they have been working towards.

“Do the part I need to do that suits the team culture the best, and if I can do that then hopefully opportunities will come on an individual basis, but team first to begin with.”

Weightman was among five Dandenong Stingrays who were selected in the National Draft over Wednesday and Thursday night. Hayden Young (Fremantle, pick #7), Sam De Koning (Geelong, pick #19), Bigoa Nyuon (Richmond, pick #54) and Ned Cahill (Essendon, pick #56) were also the Stingrays who achieved their dreams of the opportunity of pulling on an AFL club’s jumper in 2020.

bulldogtragic
07-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Cody Weightman

2019 Stat Averages (inc. NABL & Champs): Games 10 - Goals 17 (8.1 NABL, 9.3 Champs = 17.4) - Kicks 10.8 - Handballs 2.8 - Disposals 13.6 - Marks 3.3 - Tackles 1.6 - Goals - 1.7, 0.4 Behinds

2019 Josh Schache - Goals 1.7, 0.6
2019 Tory Dickson - Goals 1.4, 0.5
2019 Sam Lloyd - Goals 1.6, 1.4

Twodogs
07-12-2019, 12:10 PM
We are finally getting some guys who can kick into the forward half.

It's only been 150 years.

ledge
26-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Just watched a clip on Cody miked up, looks like he is fitting in really well, one thing I noticed is when he kicks he practically puts the ball on his foot when kicking, not much ball drop at all which means he kicks very accurate but wouldn’t be a long kick, perfect for a player in the forward fifty.
Must admit didn’t see if the kick floats or darts though.

AshMac
26-01-2020, 12:46 PM
Just watched a clip on Cody miked up, looks like he is fitting in really well, one thing I noticed is when he kicks he practically puts the ball on his foot when kicking, not much ball drop at all which means he kicks very accurate but wouldn’t be a long kick, perfect for a player in the forward fifty.
Must admit didn’t see if the kick floats or darts though.

He looks right at home already confidence wise. I remember thinking at draft time how good a person he sounded in his interviews - imagine he becomes a locker room favourite and a big part of the culture.

Can’t wait to see what he can produce in the field.

Anyone reckon he plays round 1?

ledge
26-01-2020, 04:15 PM
He looks right at home already confidence wise. I remember thinking at draft time how good a person he sounded in his interviews - imagine he becomes a locker room favourite and a big part of the culture.

Can’t wait to see what he can produce in the field.

Anyone reckon he plays round 1?

To me he is a copy of Bailey Smith in nature and attitude, can see then being the twins like Johnno and Rohan for many years to come.

GVGjr
26-01-2020, 05:06 PM
To me he is a copy of Bailey Smith in nature and attitude, can see then being the twins like Johnno and Rohan for many years to come.

If he goes anywhere near performing to Smiths level in his first season he's in for an excellent one

Twodogs
26-01-2020, 07:35 PM
If he goes anywhere near performing to Smiths level in his first season he's in for an excellent one

Bubba wore #31 that year, I still remember a goal he kicked against St Kilda at the Barkly street end from the dead pocket. Right foot, across the body-a deadset cracker.

Rohan Smith's mum was my kindergarten teacher. He was the neighborhood's impossibly good boy that everybody else's mum used to look at and think "why can't my son be more like little Rohan?" I hugged him on GF day and told him what a pain in the arse he was back in the day but all was forgiven now.

We'd play cricket on the road out the front of our houses like we did years ago and Rohan would ride his bike around and around the block hoping that we'd ask him to join in. We did once and he was so good we never asked him again-we were all 5-8 years older and didn't want to be shown up by how good little Rohan was.

ledge
26-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Bubba wore #31 that year, I still remember a goal he kicked against St Kilda at the Barkly street end from the dead pocket. Right foot, across the body-a deadset cracker.

Rohan Smith's mum was my kindergarten teacher. He was the neighborhood's impossibly good boy that everybody else's mum used to look at and think "why can't my son be more like little Rohan?" I hugged him on GF day and told him what a pain in the arse he was back in the day but all was forgiven now.

We'd play cricket on the road out the front of our houses like we did years ago and Rohan would ride his bike around and around the block hoping that we'd ask him to join in. We did once and he was so good we never asked him again-we were all 5-8 years older and didn't want to be shown up by how good little Rohan was.

I think he was referring to Bailey Smiths first year.

Twodogs
26-01-2020, 09:50 PM
I think he was referring to Bailey Smiths first year.

Too many Smiths.

Although Morrisey played at Hawthorn.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-01-2020, 10:05 PM
Too many Smiths.

Not enough Smiths:)

Prince Imperial
26-01-2020, 11:04 PM
Too many Smiths.

Well we do play at Marrs Stadium...

Twodogs
27-01-2020, 11:42 AM
Well we do play at Marrs Stadium...

Very good. I looked for a way to fit Johnny in. Mike Joyce we could work around Alan and come up with something and then there is (Andy) Rourke Smith just to complete the circle.

bornadog
27-01-2020, 11:56 AM
I can't see Cody playing round one, but may get his chance in the second half of the season. A bit like West who he will be competing for a place against.

Twodogs
29-01-2020, 12:49 PM
I can't see Cody playing round one, but may get his chance in the second half of the season. A bit like West who he will be competing for a place against.

It's good that we have gone from being relatively barren in terms of small pressure act forwards to having two fairly well regarded ( Would West have gone in the first round if he weren't F/S?) competing for the same spot. More importantly we have players they can crumb too.

I think given now we will have a quality ball user in the forward six we can structure up with 3 talls in the forward 50. So something like

Dickson Bruce West/Weightman
Schasche Naughton Lloyd
Depending on match ups we could bring bring Libba or Wally or whoever in as the situation demands. It's going to be fun for once watching US drive THEM mad by sending talls or mids or shorts to exploit their defensive problems.

Axe Man
29-01-2020, 02:06 PM
I don't think West is a small forward. He will play there if he gets an AFL game at the moment because the middle is stacked, but he's a midfielder.

The player we are forgetting about is Cavarra. He's the guy we drafted to slot straight into that small forward position, unfortunately his body let him down. If he can stay fit this year I expect Bevo will give him a chance to show whether he is up to the level or not.

AshMac
29-01-2020, 11:58 PM
I don't think West is a small forward. He will play there if he gets an AFL game at the moment because the middle is stacked, but he's a midfielder.

The player we are forgetting about is Cavarra. He's the guy we drafted to slot straight into that small forward position, unfortunately his body let him down. If he can stay fit this year I expect Bevo will give him a chance to show whether he is up to the level or not.

Really hope he gets a crack. Was electric in his last year in the VFL in that exact role and comes across as the best bloke in the world. Maybe second best after Moz

Mofra
30-01-2020, 11:11 AM
Really hope he gets a crack. Was electric in his last year in the VFL in that exact role and comes across as the best bloke in the world. Maybe second best after Moz
TBH I don't have faith that Dickson's body will stand up to a full season so I expect one spot will open up for a smallish forward (even if Bailey Dale and Schache both cement a spot). It's likely to be his final year anyway.

Caverra did pretty well in the scratch match by all accounts and has battled hard at VFL level for years so deserves his chance, but Cody is a super talent as well. Given Lloyd's age both might get the chance to play together in coming years as Weightman is good overhead for his size.

Axe Man
18-02-2020, 05:35 PM
“HE’S GOT A BIT OF SPUNK”: DOGS DRAFTEE PUSHING FOR ROUND 1 DEBUT (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/17/hes-got-a-bit-of-spunk-dogs-draftee-pushing-for-round-1-debut/)

Western Bulldogs draftee Cody Weightman is pushing for a Round 1 debut having showed an abundance of “spunk” and “energy” during the pre-season.

That’s according to Bulldogs defender Matt Suckling, saying the small forward has been "quite hard to contain" during match simulation.

Weightman was the Dogs’ first selection in last year’s draft, snapped up with the 15th pick overall on the back of lively displays for Victoria in last year’s Under-18 Championships.

Four-goal hauls against South Australia the Allies caught the attention of recruiters during the carnival.

“He’s got a bit of spunk about him for an 18-year-old. He’s definitely someone that comes into the system and shows their stuff straight away,” Suckling told SEN Breakfast.

“I know playing on him as a half-back, he’s been quite hard to contain, He’s got a lot of energy and plenty of zip. He’s one who’s going to push for selection early and hopefully gets a go in the Marsh Series.

“Playing on someone like that has kept me on my toes and when guys come in with that confidence, it’s good.”

Weightman could get his chance to press for a senior debut when the Bulldogs open their Marsh Community Series against North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Friday night.

bornadog
25-05-2020, 08:28 PM
WORTH THE WEIGHT FOR YOUNG BULLDOG (http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/worth-the-weight-for-young-bulldog/)

First-year Western Bulldogs player Cody Weightman spent his season shutdown period at his family’s home in Officer. We spoke to the No.15 overall draft pick about his time away from the game in lockdown and the business venture he created to keep himself busy.

Kavisha Di Pietro: You’ve been back at training for a week after the season shutdown period. Was it good to be back on the track with your teammates?

Cody Weightman: Absolutely! You really start to miss the little things you get used to with the day in, day out of training. It was great to see familiar faces and be back at the club again. It’s a quite different to how we were training previously with the new rules in place. So much has changed in terms of social distancing and the way we train. We’re split into smaller groups of eight players and I’ve been training with the likes of Marcus Bontempelli and Bailey Smith. ‘Bont’ has been a great guy to learn off. The interactions you have during the day are so different as well. You really are sectioned off into your training group and you might cross paths from a distance with another group, but we’re not spending time together like we normally would. Training itself has a pre-season vibe to it in terms of intensity and the type of work we’re doing. Despite the changes there’s no doubt that we were all keen as a club to be back together.

During the shutdown period you went back to your family’s property in Officer (in South-East Victoria). What was it like to get back there and be able to spend some quality time with them?

It was great to get back to Mum and Dad’s, which is where I grew up. They’ve got a bit of land out there and so I had a bit of space to roam around and get my training done. It’s certainly different to what I was getting used to living in the city – it’s so much more interconnected here (in Melbourne). Being back home almost felt like being on school holidays again, but without the homework! I loved being able to see family and spend some quality time with them. Taking the advice of my teammates and really using that time, because they’ve all said you definitely don’t get much of it (being able to go back home) once the season starts. It was certainly time I’ll treasure.

You and your brother built a makeshift golf course on your property. How did that come about?

That was my first little project when I got back home. I curated a little bit of a golf course but really it was only two holes. The first hole was about 90 metres so my brother and I just spent our time practising our skills. I made sure to give myself things to do whether it was playing golf or cutting the grass to make sure I never got bored. It certainly kept me busy.

Another one of your projects was redesigning used surfboards. Is art something you’ve always been passionate about?

That project took up most of time over the break – I found it really enjoyable. When I was younger I enjoyed arts and crafts, but when it came to high school and VCE it wasn’t something I pursued. It started with an old board I had a while ago that I decided to re-paint for a bit of fun and I ended up selling that and making a little profit so it became a bit of a side hustle for me. I thought while I’ve got time it would be worthwhile to continue pursuing that passion. My brother and I ended up with quite a few old boards. I used it to practice different painting techniques and try my hand at a few different styles of design. In the end I was able to sell a few boards while enjoying my time as well.

As you mentioned, you’ve got a bit of space back on your parents’ property. How did you maintain your fitness while you were there?

I felt by the time isolation hit I had fully adjusted to the demands of being in an AFL environment and a footballer. We were all sent programs to complete from our fitness staff. I was lucky that back home we already had a decent home gym set up, which I upgraded a little bit but that setup was able to accommodate me and everything that I needed. Gym wise I was doing everything from home but I was also really lucky that Cal Porter (third-year Bulldogs player) is from the same town and was spending his isolation here too. That meant we could do skill sessions and train together – following social distancing – and bounce off each other. I was fortunate with the resources around me to not feel like I was impacted too much.

How much were you able to take from Cal during that time?

I was super lucky – we actually spoke about that at the end of isolation. Having each other and being able to bounce ideas off one another was so helpful. He’s been through it as a third-year player so to be able to watch him and set myself to his training standards, while we were away from the club, was great. We challenged each other and that was no doubt rewarding for the both of us. I knew Cal prior to the draft too and it was just a bonus that we ended up at the same AFL club.

Now that you are back at the club, what are you looking forward to most?

I think being able to tap into that competitive side that we’ve probably been a little bit starved of lately. Training is enjoyable, but as players we really just want to be out there doing what we can so I’m looking forward to games getting back underway. We want to build towards having success as a group and so we’re all really excited to get back out onto the field.

We’ll leave it there, thanks for the chat Cody. Good luck this season.

No worries! Thanks Kavisha.

Dry Rot
25-05-2020, 10:45 PM
Weightman seems to have a wise head on his 18 year old shoulders.

Bit of a goer too - was he the guy that traded cows?

Mofra
26-05-2020, 09:30 AM
Weightman seems to have a wise head on his 18 year old shoulders.

Bit of a goer too - was he the guy that traded cows?
Yep. Made a bit of coin, and banked a future first rounder from Dodoro.

Twodogs
26-05-2020, 08:08 PM
What does traded cows mean and where does Dodoro (auto correct wants to say Doritos ��) come into it?

bornadog
15-07-2020, 02:58 PM
Weightman to debut (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/743226/weightman-to-debut)

The Bulldogs first-round selection from the 2019 NAB AFL Draft will be unleashed on Friday night.

The 19-year-old will make his AFL debut against Essendon on Friday night at Metricon Stadium.

Mitch Wallis presented the debutant with his playing jumper at training today.

Weightman will be the Bulldogs’ fourth debutant in 2020, following in the footsteps of Ben Cavarra, Laitham Vandermeer and Louis Butler.

The small forward joined the Bulldogs with pick 15 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft, and has impressed through the pre-season and practice games.

GVGjr
15-07-2020, 03:06 PM
Good news, he can hit the scoreboard for us

Rocket Science
15-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Good news, he can hit the scoreboard for us

TBH I'd be thrilled if he could just lay a tackle.

bornadog
15-07-2020, 03:24 PM
TBH I'd be thrilled if he could just lay a tackle.

Haha - made me laugh :D:D

Eastdog
15-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Good luck Cody!

Rocket Science
15-07-2020, 05:07 PM
Haha - made me laugh :D:D

Ha. He's very welcome to kick goals out of his arse a la Rankine too! They're not mutually exclusive!

WBFC4FFC
15-07-2020, 06:31 PM
Weightman to debut (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/743226/weightman-to-debut)

The Bulldogs first-round selection from the 2019 NAB AFL Draft will be unleashed on Friday night.

The 19-year-old will make his AFL debut against Essendon on Friday night at Metricon Stadium.

Mitch Wallis presented the debutant with his playing jumper at training today.

Weightman will be the Bulldogs’ fourth debutant in 2020, following in the footsteps of Ben Cavarra, Laitham Vandermeer and Louis Butler.

The small forward joined the Bulldogs with pick 15 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft, and has impressed through the pre-season and practice games.

Who would he come in for? West was down, especially compared to his performance the week before but deserves another shot to redeem himself.

1eyedog
15-07-2020, 07:25 PM
Flea's gonna be insane for us he's an animal we'll absolutely love him. Cant wait.

josie
15-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Best wishes with your debut Cody!! Kick a bag and run rings around the Bummers.

Always exciting to see a debut, especially a first round draft pick.

Doc26
15-07-2020, 07:51 PM
Who would he come in for? West was down, especially compared to his performance the week before but deserves another shot to redeem himself.

Based on last week’s showing there would be at least five forwards vulnerable. Five of them touched the ball less than 10 times last week. Schache, Wallis, Dale and West would be centre stage.

EasternWest
15-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Flea's gonna be insane for us he's an animal we'll absolutely love him. Cant wait.

I am caught up in this enthusiasm.

Bring it on.

Remi Moses
15-07-2020, 08:12 PM
Go well young man

comrade
15-07-2020, 08:23 PM
Just what our forward line needs.

josie
15-07-2020, 08:49 PM
If you have not done so watch clip of him ringing up his parents to tell them he is debuting. Very funny. Full of energy and will be a great spark for our team.

1eyedog
15-07-2020, 10:41 PM
Yep he'll be ADHD for us in the forward line super defensive mindset but fast thinking and dangerous too. Hope he goes well.

The Adelaide Connection
15-07-2020, 10:52 PM
Based on last week’s showing there would be at least five forwards vulnerable. Five of them touched the ball less than 10 times last week. Schache, Wallis, Dale and West would be centre stage.

Gee, it would be awkward if Mitch was dropped after his stirring speech for Cody (where he talked about his excitement of getting to play in his debut).

bornadog
15-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Gee, it would be awkward if Mitch was dropped after his stirring speech for Cody (where he talked about his excitement of getting to play in his debut).

I think we will go in short. Schache will miss me thinks

1eyedog
16-07-2020, 12:25 AM

I'm thinking Bailey Dale. Just treading water and needs a spell.

whythelongface
16-07-2020, 07:42 AM
I'm thinking Bailey Dale. Just treading water and needs a spell.

Definitely one of these two. Dale shows signs but is inconsistent which is similar to Schache. Probably time for Dale to have a short spell.

Happy Days
16-07-2020, 11:31 AM
Given Schache played 57% of the game last week I'm thinking it's him. Bevo showed after the first Collingwood game last year that he has no patience for conditional efforts from Josh.

Axe Man
16-07-2020, 12:31 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/hPBKMQSb/Flea.png (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogsthru&thru
16-07-2020, 12:38 PM
Haha there are some funny stats from the page. Do you think it's run by Bruce McAvaney? I can actually hear him reading that out on Friday night

Axe Man
16-07-2020, 12:44 PM
Cody set for the big stage (https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/sport/football/2020-07-16/cody-set-for-the-big-stage/?fbclid=IwAR2B7CzEBO8Y7CvcAW7x1s-laOuAYnQoyGcoddJVUEzvbNnsLYp8O2r0d5c)

Another of Beaconsfield’s favourite sons will get his first taste of AFL football, with small forward Cody Weightman set for his debut on Friday night against Essendon.

Off the back of fellow small forward Jake Aarts making his AFL debut for Richmond only weeks earlier, it’s yet another proud moment for the club out of Holm Park, which continues to produce quality league footballers.

An absolute excitement machine, Weightman was a vital part of the Dandenong Stingrays’ program in 2019 and his leadership qualities were also on display by captaining Haileybury to a third successive premiership in the APS competition.

After picking up a Sherrin for his home club in the under 9s, incredibly Weightman last featured in the Eagles colours in the SEFNL (now AFL Outer East) Under-19 grand final in 2018, where he was awarded best on ground honours after an eye-catching display on a day of torrential rain at Berwick’s Edwin Flack Reserve.

Since then, the young star has gone to even greater heights, becoming the Bulldogs’ top draft pick in the last year’s draft.

The first round draftee will be unleashed on Metricon Stadium against the in-form Dons after some highly impressive form in the scratch matches, with the Beaconsfield and Dandenong Stingrays product handed his jumper by Mitch Wallis at training on Wednesday after rumours of his debut circulated for several weeks.

“I’m a little bit shocked, I was always hoping for it to come,” he told Western Bulldogs media on Wednesday.

“I’m super happy, and I can’t wait to get out there.”

Weightman said that being handed his jumper from Mitch Wallis, someone who has played a big part in his development, was a moment he’ll never forget.

“Bevo (Luke Beveridge) called up Wally, Mitchy Wallis, and I’ve become pretty close with him at the club,” he said.

“I started living with him when I first got to the club, and he’s a legend – he said a few nice words.

“He’s a pro – he’s obviously been in the system for a long time now, and on and off field he’s ticked a lot of boxes and showed me how to do it.

“Wally’s been massive for me.

“It was a really good moment for me, and I’m really thankful.”

With the Covid-19 pandemic preventing the VFL from holding a season, AFL clubs have had to become inventive and rely on other means to develop their players, but for Weightman its just been about knocking down the door and controlling what he can control.

“You have to be patient, we’ve got a really good young list,” he said.

“Obviously you want to be playing, but you’ve just got to keep knocking down the door, playing consistent footy, so that was a key for me, and bringing offence and defence to the game.

“I get my shot this week, so hopefully I can bring that and correlate that into the AFL.”

So what can the Dogs fans expect from the Beaconsfield boy?

“I’ll try and just play my role, do the basic things well, try and play naturally and not overthink it,” he said.

“I want to just have fun, and hopefully help the team get a win.

“Watching Friday night footy as a kid all the time, you always dream of being out there, fortunately for me now it’s a reality.

“I’m pumped, can’t wait to get out there.”

Weightman’s good mate and his ex-teammate at the Dandenong Stingrays, Ned Cahill, is set to debut for Essendon in the very same game in prime time.

Also a high energy, speedy small forward, Cahill from – Mt Eliza on the Mornington Peninsula – has been in incredible form in the scratch matches, which included a five-goal haul against North Melbourne last week.

For Bombers fans, expect the crafty forward – who is similar in many ways to Bunyip’s very own Tom Papley – to have an instant impact.

In the lead-up to the draft last season, Stingrays coach Nick Cox described the player Cahill is.

“Ned does everything well – he is clean, efficient, runs well, but I think he plays fast with what he does with the footy,” he said.

“He has played through the midfield; he has played as a forward. His running power to get up the ground is unbelievable; he burns his opponent off and gets out the back.

“His pressure is great as well; Ned creates the turnover and gets on his bike to get another possession down the ground.”

To hear more about Cody’s debut, pick up a copy of next week’s Gazette.

Happy Days
16-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Is he just Flea because Dale Weightman was Flea? Surely we can do better than that.

azabob
16-07-2020, 01:12 PM
Is he just Flea because Dale Weightman was Flea? Surely we can do better than that.

Its a football club...

Would any of our players know who Dale Weightman was?

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2020, 01:41 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/hPBKMQSb/Flea.png (https://postimages.org/)

I will guarantee that Bill Speakman never went near a scale that gave his weight as 62 Kg

Pretty sure he would have weighed in officially at 9st 11

Mofra
16-07-2020, 01:42 PM
I will guarantee that Bill Speakman never went near a scale that gave his weight as 62 Kg

Pretty sure he would have weighed in officially at 9st 11
I bet he was weighed off-site behind the back of the club doctor and they lost the records.

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Its a football club...

Would any of our players know who Dale Weightman was?

There would be plenty around all footy clubs who remember Dale Weightman. and yes we do that with nicknames.

Why do you think Nathan Lyon became Garry or Gazza.

Australians are renowned for inventing nicknames but they re-use a lot for no other reason than they can. Weightman is just another example

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2020, 01:51 PM
I bet he was weighed off-site behind the back of the club doctor and they lost the records.

Of course the records would be unreliable, after all Essendon!!

Axe Man
16-07-2020, 02:49 PM
There would be plenty around all footy clubs who remember Dale Weightman. and yes we do that with nicknames.

Why do you think Nathan Lyon became Garry or Gazza.

Australians are renowned for inventing nicknames but they re-use a lot for no other reason than they can. Weightman is just another example

That's why almost every Taylor gets the nickname Squizzy after a bloke that died almost 100 years ago.

Twodogs
17-07-2020, 10:10 PM
Leon Cameron got called Baker after Essendon player Leon Baker for some reason. The only reason I can think is that he kicked both feet.

I remember being disappointed that we'd nickname one of our players after a player from another club. Particularly Essendon.

bornadog
17-07-2020, 11:31 PM
Pretty good debut, two goals and could have been three. Can see this kid being something special in the future.

Mofra
18-07-2020, 12:01 AM
Pretty good debut, two goals and could have been three. Can see this kid being something special in the future.
He's got "something".
That second goal - that crumbing one - we've been crying out for that. Really, really promising signs.

ledge
18-07-2020, 01:15 AM
He's got "something".
That second goal - that crumbing one - we've been crying out for that. Really, really promising signs.

X factor let’s hope we nurture it and don’t curb it.

jeemak
18-07-2020, 01:47 AM
But but but....he didn't lay a tackle! All forwards lay tackles right? That's all they talk about and that's all they focus on...…..surely?

Fact of the matter is he hit the scoreboard and could have been a game high scorer in a debut game. He's no Jason Tutt, sure, but he almost got there.

As an aside, Tutt got 26 touches and kicked four......and didn't get the rising star nomination. What a *!*!*!*!ing disgrace. It's literally the best debut of the modern era.

Ozza
18-07-2020, 01:57 AM
But but but....he didn't lay a tackle! All forwards lay tackles right? That's all they talk about and that's all they focus on...…..surely?

Fact of the matter is he hit the scoreboard and could have been a game high scorer in a debut game. He's no Jason Tutt, sure, but he almost got there.

As an aside, Tutt got 26 touches and kicked four......and didn't get the rising star nomination. What a *!*!*!*!ing disgrace. It's literally the best debut of the modern era.

Really liked all of this post. The justified outrage about Tutt in particular.
Our coach, Paul Williams, really had the 'key' to Tutt's best work!!!

jeemak
18-07-2020, 02:06 AM
Really liked all of this post. The justified outrage about Tutt in particular.
Our coach, Paul Williams, really had the 'key' to Tutt's best work!!!

Do tell...…..?

Ozza
18-07-2020, 02:10 AM
Do tell...…..?

Paul Williams was the coach the day Tutt debuted and we flogged port adelaide. Paul Williams is our most successful ever coach by win % (2 wins from 3 games) !!!

Happy Days
18-07-2020, 02:12 AM
Paul Williams was the coach the day Tutt debuted and we flogged port adelaide. Paul Williams is our most successful ever coach by win % (2 wins from 3 games) !!!

Paul Williams Our Mastermind

jeemak
18-07-2020, 02:22 AM
Paul Williams is to Jason Tutt what Chester Copperpot is to One Eyed Willy.

merantau
18-07-2020, 07:56 AM
In terms of debuts, here's one old timers will remember: the Mother of all Debuts - Carl Ditterich v Melbourne in 1963. The "Blond Bombshell." 17 yrs old. I can still see the picture that was on the front page of the Hun. Carl leaping high over Trevor Gleeson at a ruck contest. John Coleman's debut was pretty decent but before my time.
I don't think I've ever seen a better mark, first kick, first goal than young Cody's. Gotta love the kid. Happy days ahead. He's a goer for sure.

Bulldog Joe
18-07-2020, 08:23 AM

Comparison to Concrete Hands is not appreciated:)

We want Cody to improve on a bright start.

He did get involved well with pressure. Might need to learn when to stay on the ground and let the big boys go for the marks, but he also needs to be encouraged to play to his strengths and the ability to take a mark is clearly one of those strengths. he just needs to find the balance.

GVGjr
18-07-2020, 08:55 AM
He added a bit to the forward line and his first goal was a special one mind you the 2nd goal was also a good one
Shame he missed the set shot

Hopefully he can continue to hit the scoreboard in the coming weeks

azabob
18-07-2020, 09:09 AM
Here is a clip and short interview from his draft year.

Apologies in advance where the clip is located...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/465518/sliding-doors-if-dogs-players-want-to-form-an-80s-cover-band-then

GVGjr
18-07-2020, 04:37 PM
I'm probably going to be on my own with this view but as exciting as it was to see him kick the 40mtr goal, I actually would have preferred he nailed the set shot.

Happy Days
18-07-2020, 04:49 PM
I'm probably going to be on my own with this view but as exciting as it was to see him kick the 40mtr goal, I actually would have preferred he nailed the set shot.

And I thought I was being no fun.

GVGjr
18-07-2020, 05:24 PM

I just want players to get those set shots. I'm not minimising how exciting that goal was but for me it was offset just a bit by the missed set shot.

ledge
18-07-2020, 08:26 PM
I just want players to get those set shots. I'm not minimising how exciting that goal was but for me it was offset just a bit by the missed set shot.

18 years old , first game , Adrenalin through the roof, hits a blinder, Rips a beauty on the run on a second effort ,and misses a set shot , your a hard man.

EasternWest
18-07-2020, 09:19 PM

No need to be like that.

You're both equally miserable.

bornadog
20-07-2020, 05:20 PM
This kid loves Football and brings so much enthusiasm to the team

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/07/19/dadca4a0-325b-4a03-a744-8f5a82e6f67f/07EsWB20JSP971055979.JPG?width=952&height=592

comrade
20-07-2020, 05:48 PM
Definitely some rookie era Dahl vibes about him with his energy but much better disposal and overhead. Exciting addition to the side.

ratsmac
20-07-2020, 06:37 PM
Definitely some rookie era Dahl vibes about him with his energy but much better disposal and overhead. Exciting addition to the side.

I agree, his second goal was very Dahl like. Dahl was a freak at getting the ball from hands to feet in a split second. Cody has it too it would seem.

ledge
20-07-2020, 07:24 PM
Cody knows where the goals are . I’m not sure Dahl had/has that skill.

Bulldog Joe
20-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Cody knows where the goals are . I’m not sure Dahl had/has that skill.

There is certainly no way that Dahl could have kicked a goal from where Cody scored his first.

That was well beyond Luke's distance range.

EasternWest
20-07-2020, 07:37 PM
There is certainly no way that Dahl could have kicked a goal from where Cody scored his first.

That was well beyond Luke's distance range.

Easy to crap of Dahl now he's motovated elsewhere, but he was a jet for us for a long time, and often one of few reasons to get excited about footy.

soupman
20-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Easy to crap of Dahl now he's motovated elsewhere, but he was a jet for us for a long time, and often one of few reasons to get excited about footy.

His debut year was so super exciting and fun. I have great memories of this tiny kid hidden underneath this mop of dreads being unlike anybody else on our list.

jeemak
20-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Yeah good spot on Cody's second goal being very Dahl like.

Dahl is a Bulldogs champion. He had his limitations but was as hard as nails and tried his guts out for the vast majority of his career with us.

Bulldog Joe
20-07-2020, 07:51 PM

Not intending to be disrespectful. He was terrific for us. Kicking, however was (and still is) his weak spot. he struggled to kick 40 metres consistently and was never pinpoint.

He was a great pressure player and quick with his hands. Chris Scott appears to be using him to maximise his strengths.

Grantysghost
20-07-2020, 08:35 PM
The club got their pound of flesh too the kids club was the “Dalhaus clubhouse” from memory. Geelong certainly play him to his strengths. I can see the review now when he kicks it :
Chris Scott : Luke what did you do wrong here mate ?
Dahl : Ah...kicked it?
Chris pats him on the back and leaves.

bornadog
23-07-2020, 12:16 PM
Worth the weight: Debutant Dog now in godfather mix for teammate's baby
(https://www.afl.com.au/news/469904/worth-the-weight-debutant-dog-now-in-godfather-mix-for-teammate-s-baby)

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2020/07/17/dc8d02b0-ffbd-4b99-b61d-3e17f8130bee/DbQsirvn.jpg?width=952&height=592

THERE was some initial nervousness about moving Cody Weightman into Mitch and Emily Wallis' family home at the end of 2019.
Emily was pregnant with baby Charlotte at the time and the Wallis family wasn't sure about how the Western Bulldogs draftee would handle it.

Eight months on, Weightman was one of the first to visit Charlotte after she was born and the 19-year-old thinks he could be a "smokey" choice as her godfather.

"He's (Weightman) definitely going to play a big role in her (Charlotte's) life," Mitch Wallis told AFL.com.au.
"He treats Emily really well. Emily and I haven't had the godparent chat but he'll definitely come into consideration."

Wallis and Weightman are both optimistic people by nature and the two immediately got along, with the ex-Dandenong Stingrays forward keen to absorb everything he could from his mentor when he moved in.

"He's so genuine, Cody, he's full of excitement and really bubbly," Wallis said.
"I feel like an older brother and a best mate as well.
"He asked a thousand questions about how AFL footy was."

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2019/12/02/4db0f618-d0a3-455d-a1b3-829cf6a68fb7/JVguDCep.jpg?width=1064&height=600

The energetic forward has skills above his head despite his size much like Jamie Elliott

Weightman has been a dedicated trainer for a long time and the quirks that have already made him a fan favourite crept into his preparation at the Wallis household.

He meditates regularly and completes his stretching at "obscene times" really early in the morning and late at night, but it was the nutritional nuances that chef Wallis provided that shone through.

"I taught him a few things in the kitchen, but it was more around timing and size of meals," Wallis said.
"My wife and I always go to the market and get fresh produce so it was more around ways to cook, portion sizes and when to eat carb meals."

It was fitting that Wallis was the one to present Weightman his jumper ahead of his debut game, and a moment that the 27-year-old will never forget.
"It's definitely going to be one I'll remember post my footy career," Wallis said.
"I got the call from 'Bevo' (Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge) the night before and I was really chuffed, I was so excited to tell my wife who's had a lot to do with Cody.
"It was a really nice 48 hours of footy that I can compartmentalise in my head that I can re-capture and re-trace every now and then."
The two starred in Weightman's first game against Essendon, with two goals for the protege and three for his mentor.
The on-the-field teachings about discipline Wallis passed on were in effect straight away.

Bont (Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli) was available for a short kick on a better angle, but he (Weightman) put up his hand to say 'Nah skip, I've got this' – it was a bit of a bold move early

- Mitch Wallis

Weightman already had the instinct and the talent, but it was the running patterns on turnovers, efficient tackling techniques and manning the mark the right way that Wallis handed down.

"The best thing about Cody is his footy IQ is really high, even his goal sense and the one he kicked on the weekend – you can't teach those things," Wallis said.

Weightman's first career disposal will go down as one of the most thrilling passages in recent memory and Wallis had a front-row seat to the contested mark and incredible finish from the forward pocket.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2020/07/17/72d76550-ce38-4ee2-9f67-7fbc9aacb616/GXQbeQKq.jpg?width=1064&height=600

An impressive debut from Cody Weightman getting better by the second

"I can remember it vividly," Wallis said.
"Bont (Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli) was available for a short kick on a better angle, but he (Weightman) put up his hand to say 'Nah skip, I've got this' – it was a bit of a bold move early.

"I wasn't sure what type of kick he was going to do, he was setting up and it was too far out for his left foot.
"I was just above the goalsquare and as soon as he hit it I knew it was going to sail through because he hit it so sweetly and then I sprinted over to him."
https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2020/07/17/0af08694-de48-43de-b751-13744191a398/szKNHQcT.jpg?width=1064&height=600

Wallis has taken huge steps as a mentor, but his personal game has transitioned a lot over the past three years.
In 2018 he began his evolution from a full-time midfielder into a hybrid and kicked 20 goals and three behinds, but he still averaged three-and-a-half clearances per game.

Those midfield days are behind him, 95 per cent of his minutes in 2020 have come in a deep forward role.
Wallis has spent plenty of time in the film room breaking down all the reads he needs to become consistent in a role that by nature can be feast or famine.

"I spend a lot of time with (Bulldogs forwards coach) Ash Hansen looking at behind the goals vision and working on decision-making," Wallis said.
"The quicker you can make a decision off the back of what's happening up the play, the better position you get in.
"My strength in the body in the one on ones, the more often I can in those situations from making those early decisions, the more opportunities I get to use those strengths and turn it into scores."

Weightman has now moved out from the Wallis household, but he's always welcome around for a feed once or twice a week.
Conversations about how the master and his protege combined for five goals in their first match together are sure to dominate dinner discussions for years to come.

Ozza
23-07-2020, 01:25 PM
A terrific debut.
But I hear what Gvgjr is saying. The flashy stuff is great, and we need some of that in the forward line for sure - as long as he also does the basics really well. Like set shots.
He also had that play where he took a semi-speccy and immediately played on to nobody.....which I'll chalk up as 1st game adrenalin.

The short turn arounds will create frequent line up changes and we'll get a good look at Flea this year. There's no mad rush for him to become a 1st 22 every week sort of player - but really hopeful that he is a long term forward for us, and seems a great kid. He's already a favourite of my 9 year old.

Mofra
23-07-2020, 02:09 PM
A terrific debut.
But I hear what Gvgjr is saying. The flashy stuff is great, and we need some of that in the forward line for sure - as long as he also does the basics really well. Like set shots.
He also had that play where he took a semi-speccy and immediately played on to nobody.....which I'll chalk up as 1st game adrenalin.

The short turn arounds will create frequent line up changes and we'll get a good look at Flea this year. There's no mad rush for him to become a 1st 22 every week sort of player - but really hopeful that he is a long term forward for us, and seems a great kid. He's already a favourite of my 9 year old.
He really does seem to "generate his own energy" which may well be important as hub life continues.

jeemak
18-05-2021, 03:08 AM
I thought Cody had a pretty good game on the weekend, and with three in the hostile pits of Adelaide may have come close to a rising star nomination, but alas, Green from GWS did instead.

Weightman - playing high/ low forward ended up with nine kicks, three handballs, five tackles and three goals

Green - playing midfield ended up with nine kicks, fifteen handballs, four tackles and a goal

Both very good games, and can't be too upset with Cody missing out because of the involvement in the game Green had. However, I think Cody influenced the game more as a forward than Green did as a mid. You only have to look at the packaged highlights for Green to see it was a pretty generic game.

Anyway, let's just leave this thread here. Cody will get his time.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2021, 10:18 AM
I thought Cody had a pretty good game on the weekend, and with three in the hostile pits of Adelaide may have come close to a rising star nomination, but alas, Green from GWS did instead.

Weightman - playing high/ low forward ended up with nine kicks, three handballs, five tackles and three goals

Green - playing midfield ended up with nine kicks, fifteen handballs, four tackles and a goal

Both very good games, and can't be too upset with Cody missing out because of the involvement in the game Green had. However, I think Cody influenced the game more as a forward than Green did as a mid. You only have to look at the packaged highlights for Green to see it was a pretty generic game.

We all know from experience that the Rising Star award is bogus :)

1eyedog
18-05-2021, 10:39 AM

Six tackles inside F50 is a massive contribution. Critical stat for mine as it's exactly what we need (aside from goals of course).

divvydan
18-05-2021, 02:21 PM
Green has had some other good games this year, Adelaide one comes to mind especially, and has been close to a nomination for a while now, so I'm fine with him getting the nomination this week. If Cody keeps playing well he'll get one in time.

comrade
18-05-2021, 02:23 PM
Green has had some other good games this year, Adelaide one comes to mind especially, and has been close to a nomination for a while now, so I'm fine with him getting the nomination this week. If Cody keeps playing well he'll get one in time.

I haven't seen Green's game but it must have been an absolute belter to get the nod over Cody's game.

Mofra
18-05-2021, 03:35 PM
Six tackles inside F50 is a massive contribution. Critical stat for mine as it's exactly what we need (aside from goals of course).
He also had 6 tackles at VFL level the week prior.
If anything that's a tick for the way he's been developed

Quite weird that a first round draft pick is now playing and collectively it feels more like a bonus rather than a critical part of our side.

comrade
18-05-2021, 03:36 PM
Quite weird that a first round draft pick is now playing and collectively it feels more like a bonus rather than a critical part of our side.

The Kozzy effect.

Grantysghost
18-05-2021, 03:48 PM
The Kozzy effect.

Melbourne would've taken Cody if Kysaiah was gone is my understanding, so their team rated him highly also.

We might've both struck gold. Both list teams have been very good of late, no surprise the teams are doing well.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2021, 07:15 PM
I watched the Naughton speccy again, and it is better for Weightman’s reaction. After watching it front on, Cody jumps up (didn’t quite leave the ground), double fist pumps, yells out and grins from ear to ear. He’s like a Western Bulldogs player while being a Western Bulldogs superfan. That’s the response of pretty much everyone of us in the stand or at home. You hear so many kids say ‘I just love to play footy’, but when Cody says it I actually believe it.

comrade
18-05-2021, 07:21 PM
I watched the Naughton speccy again, and it is better for Weightman’s reaction. After watching it front on, Cody jumps up (didn’t quite leave the ground), double fist pumps, yells out and grins from ear to ear. He’s like a Western Bulldogs player while being a Western Bulldogs superfan. That’s the response of pretty much everyone of us in the stand or at home. You hear so many kids say ‘I just love to play footy’, but when Cody says it I actually believe it.

I went to the Footscray v Essendon practice match earlier in the year at Tullamarine and was watching along the fence on the wing. One of the Dogs players smothered it and Cody ran about 50 metres with a smile on his face, yelled 'that was *!*!*!*!ing awesome!' and gave him a high five before running off. Just chuffed on life the kid.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2021, 07:24 PM
i went to the footscray v essendon practice match earlier in the year at tullamarine and was watching along the fence on the wing. One of the dogs players smothered it and cody ran about 50 metres with a smile on his face, yelled 'that was *!*!*!*!ing awesome!' and gave him a high five before running off. Just chuffed on life the kid.

*!*!*!*!ing awesome!

Grantysghost
18-05-2021, 07:36 PM
Ha its bloody contagious it's impossible not to smile when he's being interviewed.
He's got a bit of young Michael J Fox Back to the Future/Teenwolf about him.

FrediKanoute
18-05-2021, 07:54 PM
Ha its bloody contagious it's impossible not to smile when he's being interviewed.
He's got a bit of young Michael J Fox Back to the Future/Teenwolf about him.

Funny I was thinking the same thing watching the replay

josie
18-05-2021, 08:23 PM
I’ve loved watching him in vfl and thought he’d do well if given another go. Hope we are patient as he is not going to kick 3 goals every week. I still think we’ve potentially found an answer to our small forward woes. Agree his positive demeanour is infectious.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 01:59 AM
Cody’s season so far:

Rated Elite Against AFEL Comps Other Small Forwards (via afel app):

Elite Averages:

2.5 Marks I50
2 Marks on Lead
1.5 Contested Marks
2.5 Goals
2.0 Behinds
1.5 Tackles I50
8.5 Score Involvements
1.5 Goal Assists
4.5 Shots at Goal
10.5 Kicks
74.5 AFL Fantasy Points

Above average, averages:

254 Metres Gained
4.5 Marks
3 I50’s
6 Contested Possessions
55.6% Goal Accuracy
3 Tackles
6 Effective Kicks

We have a jet. Enjoy it. If he keeps this up, a Rising Star maybe. Now get over players we couldn’t draft. This one is worth savouring.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-05-2021, 02:05 AM
Cody’s season so far:

Rated Elite Against AFEL Comps Other Small Forwards (via afel app):

Elite Averages:

2.5 Marks I50
2 Marks on Lead
1.5 Contested Marks
2.5 Goals
2.0 Behinds
1.5 Tackles I50
8.5 Score Involvements
1.5 Goal Assists
4.5 Shots at Goal
10.5 Disposals

We have a jet. Enjoy it. If he keeps this up, a Rising Star maybe. Now get over players we couldn’t draft. This one is worth savouring.

We have a tall forward in Naughton who terrifies defenders in the air, but also applies small forward pressure, and now a midget key forward in Weightman who is learning how to be a small forward who can hurt you in the air and on the ground.
Good luck to opposition defensive coaches!!

jeemak
23-05-2021, 05:20 AM
I wasn't completely enamoured with how Cody went about getting the fifty he did, from the moment he tapped his grounded opponent to taking a fall and I hope we pull him up on it.

But, he's very easy to get excited about because of the fact for someone his size he can do it all and is a natural.

Topdog
23-05-2021, 08:28 AM
I wasn't completely enamoured with how Cody went about getting the fifty he did, from the moment he tapped his grounded opponent to taking a fall and I hope we pull him up on it.

But, he's very easy to get excited about because of the fact for someone his size he can do it all and is a natural.

I absolutely loved the entire play, got the free, did enough to entice a 50, massive smile after kicking the simplest of goals.

Very good start to 2021 for him, hopefully he keeps developing as such

Mantis
23-05-2021, 08:40 AM

I know he milked it, but there was some force in the push.. it was completely dumb by Howard.

Cody's defensive efforts were very good last night ( the area of his game I was most concerned about) with a couple of smothers the highlight... he is developing very nicely.

westdog54
23-05-2021, 09:05 AM
I know he milked it, but there was some force in the push.. it was completely dumb by Howard.

Cody's defensive efforts were very good last night ( the area of his game I was most concerned about) with a couple of smothers the highlight... he is developing very nicely.

It was a sell worthy of the Nature Boy Ric Flair. Used the force Howard used against him. And then had a big s***- eating grin on his face once the whistle blew.

Football theatre at its finest.

Just seemed to be smiling all game.

comrade
23-05-2021, 10:44 AM
it was a sell worthy of the nature boy ric flair. Used the force howard used against him. And then had a big s***- eating grin on his face once the whistle blew.

wooooooo

EasternWest
23-05-2021, 10:46 AM

I absolutely loved the entire play, got the free, did enough to entice a 50, massive smile after kicking the simplest of goals.

Very good start to 2021 for him, hopefully he keeps developing as such

It was a sell worthy of the Nature Boy Ric Flair. Used the force Howard used against him. And then had a big s***- eating grin on his face once the whistle blew.

It didn't bother me at all - if you game the system and they fall for it fair play to you.

It does make me think back to a certain moment in 2009 and I don't think some of us here were as accepting of that....

DOG GOD
23-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Yep, I was one who was in the Kosi vs weightman camp, but weightman has certainly opened my eyes to what he is capable of. His enthusiasm is infectious. He loves footy and he brings that onto the field and to his team mates. He had really good defensive pressures last night and worked really hard. I also liked the fact that he knows where to lead and is a good mover. He’s not one who has to take a screamer every time. Let him use it when others least expect it. Great start to the year for him. He’s maturing every game.

Grantysghost
23-05-2021, 11:29 AM
Yep, I was one who was in the Kosi vs weightman camp, but weightman has certainly opened my eyes to what he is capable of. His enthusiasm is infectious. He loves footy and he brings that onto the field and to his team mates. He had really good defensive pressures last night and worked really hard. I also liked the fact that he knows where to lead and is a good mover. He’s not one who has to take a screamer every time. Let him use it when others least expect it. Great start to the year for him. He’s maturing every game.

There was a moment on the wing about mid game took my eye.

Was a long ball out of defence he was high forward / wing and as the ball came in he made the conscious decision to stay down. Mightve been Bruce I can't recall but he clearly summed it up and set himself to rove.

That shows to me he has a good brain and listens to the coaches because he was flying for everything in the VFL.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2021, 11:37 AM
I’ll admit he’s surprised me. He has been fantastic since coming into the team. I didn’t expect his awareness but I’ve loved everything from him. His energy clearly contagious as it’s coincided with JJs fantastic form.

Happy Days
23-05-2021, 12:07 PM

What do you mean I fall flat on my entire back all the time.

Actually as an aside Ric Flair never bumped on the flat of his back because of an injury he suffered in a plane crash. So maybe it was more Mr Perfect.

Anyway, Cody rules. I blame the hubs and the North Korean style press communication that came out of them for not being at all into him before.

Sedat
23-05-2021, 01:01 PM
Kosi is a moot point - he was not available at our selection. Cody has been fantastic in his first 3 games back in the team this year.

azabob
23-05-2021, 02:07 PM

Mate, you defended him all last year and over pre season, now your going with some tough love in faking for 50’s!

comrade
23-05-2021, 02:23 PM
He's the type you love having on your own side but would absolutely hate if he's on the oppo. The energy and mannerisms we find endearing drive the other side mad.

Love it.

Happy Days
23-05-2021, 02:43 PM
He's the type you love having on your own side but would absolutely hate if he's on the oppo. The energy and mannerisms we find endearing drive the other side mad.

Love it.

Exactly. It’s not meant to be objective. I don’t give the Saints $650 a year.

bornadog
23-05-2021, 03:28 PM

Love it.

All good small forwards are hateable if they are playing for someone else.

comrade
23-05-2021, 04:05 PM
All good small forwards are hateable if they are playing for someone else.

Yeah, about time we had one.

I've turned on Kozzy over the past few weeks. His flopping for frees has become ridiculous and I am now firmly part of Cody Nation.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 04:47 PM
Watching the replay, last quarter and the absurdly long goal review on JJ’s goal. The only reason it gets there as a goal was Weightman running as quick as he could to get to the goal line and putting his body on the line to hold back the Saints defender who launched into him. At best he gets credited a 1%, but that presence of mind to do the team thing and cop a hit for JJ to goal (despite being 97 points up) I imagine is going to get a big, big tick from Bevo.

jeemak
23-05-2021, 05:12 PM
Mate, you defended him all last year and over pre season, now your going with some tough love in faking for 50’s!

Yes, my support comes at a price.

AshMac
23-05-2021, 05:13 PM
His enthusiasm is infectious. He loves footy and he brings that onto the field and to his team mates. He had really good defensive pressures last night and worked really hard. I also liked the fact that he knows where to lead and is a good mover. He’s not one who has to take a screamer every time. Let him use it when others least expect it. Great start to the year for him. He’s maturing every game.

100% agree! His energy and enthusiasm is team lifting. It’s awesome watching a genuine forward running around our F50, a bloke that just wants to kick goals every chance he gets rather than pass it off

hujsh
24-05-2021, 11:51 AM
The tap on the shoulder was about as innocuous an act as you'll see on the footy field. 'Cheeky' is about the worst you could describe it.

Blokes punch each other in the stomach all the time, Cody's fine. You also can't bump a bloke who has the ball once he has the mark or free kick like that. Not off the ball so easy 50 and sucked in Howard.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 12:02 PM
The tap on the shoulder was about an innocuous an act as you'll see on the footy field. 'Cheeky' is about the worst you could describe it.

Blokes punch each other in the stomach all the time, Cody's fine. You also can't bump a bloke who has the ball once he has the mark or free kick like that. Not off the ball so easy 50 and sucked in Howard.

If you watch the replay closely he didn't see it coming until the last second. So even the little bit of milking he did had amazing reflexes. Cheeky is all it is. Exactly what irritating small forwards do. As you said, it was after he was paid the free. If it was in open play I wouldn't like it. Howard's got anger issues and he was completely sucked in. Well played Cody.

comrade
24-05-2021, 12:11 PM
If you watch the replay closely he didn't see it coming until the last second. So even the little bit of milking he did had amazing reflexes. Cheeky is all it is. Exactly what irritating small forwards do. As you said, it was after he was paid the free. If it was in open play I wouldn't like it. Howard's got anger issues and he was completely sucked in. Well played Cody.

In terms of risk vs reward, it was a great little decision from Cody. A little shoulder tap turns a tough kick on goal into a gimme plus we humiliated Howard even further. Man, he copped a bath on Saturday.

Testekill
24-05-2021, 01:06 PM
I'm fine with Weightman putting a little mayo to get that 50 because it was still there and Howard was an idiot to get sucked in like that after the free had already been paid.

Ghost Dog
24-05-2021, 01:42 PM
I'm fine with Weightman putting a little mayo to get that 50 because it was still there and Howard was an idiot to get sucked in like that after the free had already been paid.

Right, umpires are framing that area of the ground. Ripe for the picking. The big grin on his face was priceless.

westdog54
24-05-2021, 04:03 PM
What do you mean I fall flat on my entire back all the time.

Actually as an aside Ric Flair never bumped on the flat of his back because of an injury he suffered in a plane crash. So maybe it was more Mr Perfect.

Anyway, Cody rules. I blame the hubs and the North Korean style press communication that came out of them for not being at all into him before.

You're right. Both about Cody and Flair.

If you ever want a laugh, search for wrestling oversells on YouTube.

I think it will bring you pleasure.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 07:38 PM
Congrats Cody on the Round 10 Rising Star Nomination.

This award means everything to a young player. It's not meaningless at all.

EasternWest
24-05-2021, 07:59 PM
Congrats Cody on the Round 10 Rising Star Nomination.

This award means everything to a young player. It's not meaningless at all.

Well deserved. He has come a mile in a short time.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2021, 08:39 PM
May he join the long list of dogs players to get nominated and then overlooked, but regarded as the actual best young player.

Congrats young man. Reward for hard work.

bornadog
24-05-2021, 08:45 PM
He is a little ripper

jeemak
24-05-2021, 08:46 PM
That's awesome news, well done Cody!

Grantysghost
24-05-2021, 08:51 PM
What does McNeil have to do??!

Just kidding great news for Cody. Been a while between drinks was the last Smith?

bornadog
24-05-2021, 10:34 PM
What does McNeil have to do??!

Just kidding great news for Cody. Been a while between drinks was the last Smith?

Naughton in 2019?

boydogs
25-05-2021, 02:06 AM
Compare Weightman with Greene, then tell me Cody is cheeky

divvydan
25-05-2021, 02:31 AM
So far, Cody has been nothing but enthusiastic. Time will tell if he stays that way but from what I can see, he's done nothing that could be considered antagonistic, nor anything that might be labelled under "gamesmanship".

Bulldog4life
25-05-2021, 11:08 AM
If we go back to his first game that mark and difficult goal showed that Cody has the x factor. Over time he has matured...according to Bevo...and after honing his craft in the VFL ,he is only going to get better and better. Congrats on the NAB rising star nomination too Cody.

Topdog
25-05-2021, 03:26 PM

When he rakes someones eyes, kicks out at people, scratches people and deliberately tries to injure others I will compare him to Greene.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-05-2021, 03:32 PM
When he rakes someones eyes, kicks out at people, scratches people and deliberately tries to injure others I will compare him to Greene.

Surely such a human doesn't exist.

EasternWest
25-05-2021, 06:43 PM

Cody is cheeky. Greene is an animal.

Eastdog
25-05-2021, 06:49 PM
Congrats Cody! Very good last 2 games. Impressed from what I have seen from him.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2021, 07:01 PM
Cody is cheeky. Greene is an animal.

If Greene did the things he does in the streets, he’d be sharing a jail cell with his dad.

Cody on the other hand would be in a smile competition with Brad Johnson. Which he’d win, just.

hujsh
25-05-2021, 07:04 PM
If Greene did the things he does in the streets, he’d be sharing a jail cell with his dad.

Cody on the other hand would be in a smile competition with Brad Johnson. Which he’d win, just.

I mean there's a bouncer who'd claim he does do that in the streets too.

Nice to be an (white) AFL footballer

EasternWest
25-05-2021, 08:55 PM

Nobody puts Johnno in a corner.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2021, 09:04 PM
Cody to be on 360 in the next 25 minutes.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2021, 09:19 PM
Cody to be on 360 in the next 25 minutes.

Make that after the ads now.

MrMahatma
25-05-2021, 09:31 PM
Congrats Cody. Clearly has the ability to play very well at AFL level. Keep it up Cody!

divvydan
25-05-2021, 09:37 PM
Was watching on Kayo and it stopped the show during the ad break before Cody came on.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2021, 09:44 PM
Was watching on Kayo and it stopped the show during the ad break before Cody came on.

Same. Nice of them to promise 59 minutes of average tv and then cut us off the 60 seconds where our rising star was being interviewed.

Scraggers
26-05-2021, 02:29 AM
Really frustrated with Kayo. Just got home from work, liking forward to watching the interview all day and it gets cut off. If anyone has a link to see the Weightman interview, it would be greatly appreciated.

azabob
26-05-2021, 08:18 AM
Really frustrated with Kayo. Just got home from work, liking forward to watching the interview all day and it gets cut off. If anyone has a link to see the Weightman interview, it would be greatly appreciated.

Normally the club will share it on their social platforms in the next day or so.

EasternWest
26-05-2021, 08:19 AM

Here you go:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Bulldog Joe
26-05-2021, 09:46 AM
Surely such a human doesn't exist.

You are right. That is the action of some other species.

Scraggers
26-05-2021, 11:57 AM
Here you go:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Thank you ... You just saved Christmas !!

Never gonna give you up ...

bornadog
26-05-2021, 12:14 PM
Thank you ... You just saved Christmas !!

Never gonna give you up ...

Is Cody the blonde one. :D

bornadog
26-05-2021, 12:22 PM
Here he is on Footy show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtTYa_40djE&ab_channel=FootyonNine

The Adelaide Connection
27-05-2021, 01:29 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/945488/cody-weightman-on-afl-360-may-26th-?videoId=945488&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1621994400001

The 360 rising star piece.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 11:52 PM
Our best forward under 193cm for us.

I love the effort all night not a huge game. But 10 touches, 2 marks, 2 tackles I50, 26 pressure acts, 3 I50’s, 4 score involvements and 1.1 with some spark. In a team well beaten.

Anyone interested in the head to head, despite having the ball a lot more in his forward line in a winning team, Weightman won the head to head with Pickett across the main stats, at worst a draw depending on how you weight them. When the heat goes up in finals, we will be more than happy with our young gun while the outside noise it about Kossie.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2021, 12:02 AM
Our best forward under 193cm for us.

I love the effort all night not a huge game. But 10 touches, 2 marks, 2 tackles I50, 26 pressure acts, 3 I50’s, 4 score involvements and 1.1 with some spark. In a team well beaten.

Anyone interested in the head to head, despite having the ball a lot more in his forward line in a winning team, Weightman won the head to head with Pickett across the main stats, at worst a draw depending on how you weight them. When the heat goes up in finals, we will be more than happy with our young gun while the outside noise it about Kossie.

Weightman learns a lot more tonight, than he did last week.
He's gonna be fine. I loved how despite having a horror night, he kept his energy and effort up all game.
I'm an idiot. Thankfully I didn't post it here, but I told friends that I thought he was a poor selection, and we drafted a dwarf small forward, that was superfluous to our structure.
I am really happy to be wrong.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2021, 12:06 AM
Weightman learns a lot more tonight, than he did last week.
He's gonna be fine. I loved how despite having a horror night, he kept his energy and effort up all game.
I'm an idiot. Thankfully I didn't post it here, but I told friends that I thought he was a poor selection, and we drafted a dwarf small forward, that was superfluous to our structure.
I am really happy to be wrong.

Spewing he missed that double candy selling snap, just bent it too much. But that innate forward skill and flare you just can’t teach. He’s going be a very special player.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2021, 01:07 PM
Spewing he missed that double candy selling snap, just bent it too much. But that I ate forward skill and flare you just can’t teach. He’s going be a very special player.

Would have been goal of the match. I agree BT he will be a special player for us hopefully for years to come. Really enjoy watching him play.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2021, 10:25 PM
Remember when we had a goal kicking small forward that made POS like Wilson punch them in the nuts they just hated them so much.

I do. I love Cody. No ones punching Kossie in the nuts.

Grantysghost
06-06-2021, 10:28 PM
Remember when we had a goal kicking small forward that made POS like Wilson punch them in the nuts they just hated them so much.

I do. I love Cody. No ones punching Kossie in the nuts.

I still can't believe he did that. What a feral.

Cody has some tough genitalia too, not sure he lost his smile throughout the entire ordeal!

SonofScray
06-06-2021, 10:47 PM
Great value. He was right in the thick of it for good stretches tonight, great that he was able to show up Wilson, the flog.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2021, 12:18 AM
Gerard Healy mentioned Melbourne recruiters were worried if they missed securing Weightman, that it was a tough call. Healy said both clubs would be thrilled. He’s right. Amazing that two players from different states were both the players wanted and so far, their output is near identical, if not a little favouring Cody in some more crucial areas:

Weightman vs Pickett

2021 Stats in Averages

8.5 Kicks 8.5
3.2 Handballs 4.8
11.8 Disposals 13.2
3.2 Marks 2.6
2.0 Goals 1.7
1.2 Behinds 1.6
3.0 Tackles 3.8
3.0 Inside 50s 2.5
0.8 Goal Assists 0.7
5.5 Contested Possessions 6.6
6.0 Uncontested Possessions 6.7
7.5 Eff, Disposals 7.9
63.6% Disp. Eff. % 59.8%
2.0 Clangers 2.3
0.8 Cont. Marks 0.1
1.8 Marks I50 1.2
0 Clearances 1.2
0.5 Rebound 50s 0.2
0.8 One Percenters 0.8
75.5 TOG % 77.9
0 Cent. Clear. 0.3
0 Stop. Clear. 0.8
6.2 Score Involve. 5.8
216.0 Metres Gained 247.4
3.2 Turnovers 1.9
1.2 Intercepts 1.6
2.0 Tackles I50 1.8
76.5 Supercoach 75.6

Cody just has him for goals (and accuracy), goal assists, score involvements, disposal efficiency and is cleaner generally and at goal, R50’s, inside 50’s, tackles I50, marks I50 and contested marks.

Kossie has a bit more ball but only a smidge on effective disposal, metres gained, Clearances, overall tackles and intercepts.

Both supporters bases will be very happy for a long while. Gerard Healy can be right.

jeemak
07-06-2021, 12:20 AM
Both need to work on their hitouts.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2021, 12:31 AM
Both need to work on their hitouts.

I was looking the other day at their combine results for jumping. Cody has him covered by a fair margin across the vertical 69cm (=5th at the combine, Pickett not seen) and they jointly got 83cm running vertical. Both clocked 3.00 for the 20m sprint too. Similar in deed. If Sweet goes down though, Cody might be practicing hit ruck work...

jeemak
07-06-2021, 12:55 AM
I was looking the other day at their combine results for jumping. Cody has him covered by a fair margin across the vertical 69cm (=5th at the combine, Pickett not seen) and they jointly got 83cm running vertical. Both clocked 3.00 for the 20m sprint too. Similar in deed. If Sweet goes down though, Cody might be practicing hit ruck work...

Both excellent athletes and both natural smaller forward taken high in the draft which is good to see.

Just being a bit picky here BT, but you should bold the lower number in clangers and turnovers to show who's leading those fields.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2021, 12:56 AM
Both excellent athletes and both natural smaller forward taken high in the draft which is good to see.

Just being a bit picky here BT, but you should bold the lower number in clangers and turnovers to show who's leading those fields.

For you, anything.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2021, 01:39 AM
After this Round: Cody vs Rising Star Class (There’s 67 Rising Star players - I.e. Cody vs 66 others)

Totals (remember Cody has only 4 Games, so he’s going against most players who have 10-12 Games to rack up much more stats. Still having played 1/2 to 1/3 less games of his rising star class though, is output his huge):

Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Goals
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 11th among rising stars in Total Marks Inside 50
Ranked 14th among rising stars in Total Contested Marks
Ranked 15th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists

Already in the top 10% to 22% on five crucial metrics, despite only playing 4 of 12 games.

Averages for Cody vs the other 66 Rising Star Players:

Ranked 1st among rising stars in Goals Per Game
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game — 1st B. McCreery, Collingwood
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game — 1st E. Gulden, Sydney
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Marks Inside 50 Per Game — 1-3 M. Georgiades, Port, J. Koschitzke & T. Brockman, Hawthorn
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game — 1-3 T. Green, GWS, E. Gulden, Sydney, L. Scholl, Crows
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Contested Marks Per Game
Ranked 14th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 16th among rising stars in Kicks Per Game

And it’s how his doing it. From the boundary, snaps, over his head, on the run, plus pressure, pressure, pressure. May he never play VFL again. What a four week stint versus Port in Port, Saints, Dees & Freo in Freo. This is the data that shows he makes us a better team with him in it.

#ILoveCody

Vred
07-06-2021, 02:47 AM
Starting to really, really love this kid. Lot of people are starting to call him a Toby Greene type, if we can have that (Without the attitude) I'll take that in our team any day of the week.

comrade
07-06-2021, 08:55 AM
I'm very relieved.

Topdog
07-06-2021, 01:26 PM
Most pleasing is the opposition he has done it against. We have played 3 very tough games in his 4 and he has kicked at least 1 in every game.

The bulldog tragician
07-06-2021, 02:33 PM
Starting to really, really love this kid. Lot of people are starting to call him a Toby Greene type, if we can have that (Without the attitude) I'll take that in our team any day of the week.
No, no! Cody can be cheeky, annoying, and a pest...but Greene is a nasty thug doing much of his grubby work in ways that are cowardly. I don’t want to see that comparison at all.

Twodogs
07-06-2021, 02:39 PM
I may have missed it but is there a stat for pressure acts BT?

Please and thank you.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2021, 02:51 PM
I may have missed it but is there a stat for pressure acts BT?

Please and thank you.

I can’t find a full comparison for this stat. But this weekend Weightman had 21 & Pickett had 22.

Cody does everything Pickett does, but has a vastly superior marking game on top.

Topdog
07-06-2021, 03:22 PM
I can’t find a full comparison for this stat. But this weekend Weightman had 21 & Pickett had 22.

Cody does everything Pickett does, but has a vastly superior marking game on top.

18 a game for Cody (14, 11, 26 & 22)

21.6 a game for Pickett - classified as elite on the AFL app. His lowest for the year is 16 which is crazy good!

No easy way to compare it, have to literally open both player profiles and click on the specific stat.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 08:33 PM
Gerard Healy today again mentioned Melbourne recruiters were worried if they missed securing Weightman, that it was a tough call. Healy said both clubs would be thrilled. He’s right. Amazing that two players from different states were both the players wanted and so far, their output is near identical, if not a little favouring Cody in some more crucial areas:

Weightman vs Pickett

2021 Stats in Averages

9.0 Kicks 7.9
3.0 Handballs 4.6
12 Disposals 12.5
3.9 Marks 2.4
2.0 Goals 1.4
1.1 Behinds 1.3
63.6% Goal Accuracy 51.2%
2.1 Tackles 3.3
2.9 Inside 50s 2.5
0.9 Goal Assists 0.5
5.3 Contested Possessions 6.4
6.6 Uncontested Possessions 6.1
7.6 Eff, Disposals 7.6
63.3% Disp. Eff. % 60.8%
2.0 Clangers 2.5
0.9 Cont. Marks 0.1
2.3 Marks I50 1.2
0.5 Rebound 50s 0.2
75.0 TOG % 76.8
6.4 Score Involve. 5.4
233.4 Metres Gained 225.7
2.9 Turnovers 2.3
1.6 Intercepts 1.6
1.4. Tackles I50 1.5
74.4 Supercoach 68.3

Cody has him covered so far this year in all the stats that matter. Time for hype train to leave.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-07-2021, 09:02 PM
He's really blossoming, and is going to be a very tricky match up for opposition coaches. He's a key forward in a small man's body, BUT probably the thing that's enabled him to fit into our forward line is his willingness to add defensive pressure and crumbing work to his arsenal.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 09:03 PM
After this Round: Cody vs Rising Star Class (There’s 67 Rising Star players - I.e. Cody vs 66 others)

Totals (remember Cody has only 7 Games, so he’s going against most players who have 12-15 Games to rack up much more stats. Still having played 1/2 games of his rising star class though, is output his huge):

7 Games:

Ranked 13th comp wide Marks Inside 50
Ranked 14th comp wide Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 17th comp wide Goals Per Game

Ranked 4th among rising stars for Total Marks I50
Ranked 5th among rising stars for Total Goals
Ranked 7th among rising stars for Total Goals Assist
Ranked 10th among rising stars for Total Contested Marks

Already in the top 10% to 22% on five crucial metrics, despite only playing 7 of 15 games.

Ranked 1st among rising stars in Marks Inside 50 Per Game
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game — 1st B. McCreery, Collingwood
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game — 1-3 T. Green, GWS, E. Gulden, Sydney, L. Scholl, Crows
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Contested Marks Per Game

Contender for GOTY at Port Adelaide over his head. Contender for MOTY tonight. Sam Power needs to sign him up before his price goes through the roof.

jeemak
04-07-2021, 09:30 PM
He's good the lad. Really like him and think that it's great having a versatile small to medium forward who can genuinely play the role in the side for the first time since Dickson.

Look out for when he's four or five preseasons into his career, he'll be getting up and down the ground and absolutely burning players off.

EasternWest
04-07-2021, 09:30 PM

Totals (remember Cody has only 7 Games, so he’s going against most players who have 12-15 Games to rack up much more stats. Still having played 1/2 games of his rising star class though, is output his huge):

7 Games:

Ranked 13th comp wide Marks Inside 50
Ranked 14th comp wide Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 17th comp wide Goals Per Game

Ranked 4th among rising stars for Total Marks I50
Ranked 5th among rising stars for Total Goals
Ranked 7th among rising stars for Total Goals Assist
Ranked 10th among rising stars for Total Contested Marks

Already in the top 10% to 22% on five crucial metrics, despite only playing 7 of 15 games.

Ranked 1st among rising stars in Marks Inside 50 Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game — 1-3 T. Green, GWS, E. Gulden, Sydney, L. Scholl, Crows
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Contested Marks Per Game

Contender for GOTY at Port Adelaide over his head. Contender for MOTY tonight. Sam Power needs to sign him up before his price goes through the roof.

Remember when we was a wasted selection and nobody wanted him?

Me neither, let's not look back through this thread.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 09:39 PM

I’ve been avoiding it. I don’t know what he did last year. I was happy we got him and happy he’s delivering. I did see the Pickett stuff mentioned way too often and decided to point out the jet we have from time to time.

I know the Rising Star is a made up nonsense. But Cody is #1 in three key stats and #2 in two key stats. That gives cover for them to pick him. Add to that GOTY & MOTY contenders, a highlights reel to sell interest in the game, the public has been exposed to him on prime time and be the best unpaid happy ambassador the AFEL could hope to get. There is a self interest for the AFEL that can’t be denied.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-07-2021, 09:52 PM
I was one who was a bit pessimistic on Cody late last year and early this year. Pickett's hot early form probably didn't help things. So glad Cody has turned it around. He was probably just a bit too raw last year.

Happy Days
04-07-2021, 11:01 PM
Hell yeah Cody. Dudes still rock.

Mofra
04-07-2021, 11:17 PM
He's way ahead of where I thought he'd be. Has real energy about him

bornadog
04-07-2021, 11:51 PM
Needs to learn to hold his feet. I love the way he plays, really loves his foot.

Sedat
04-07-2021, 11:54 PM
Strong Jamie Elliot vibes about young Cody. He's a real handful both in the air and once the ball hits the deck. Still has so much upside as well. Turning into an astute pick.

1eyedog
04-07-2021, 11:57 PM
Effectively took Atley, one of their best runners, out of the game by playing Weightman deep. It was a good ploy by Bevo. I never expected for Flea to then take him to the cleaners in the first. Great result.

Bulldog4life
05-07-2021, 04:22 PM

I just did. A few Woofers should hang their head in shame. :D

bornadog
07-07-2021, 11:16 AM
Dogs' cult hero focusing on 'flea-like' moves to keep spot in best 22 (https://www.afl.com.au/news/643488/dogs-cult-hero-focusing-on-flea-like-moves-to-keep-spot-in-best-22)

CODY Weightman has developed a cult following among Western Bulldogs fans but still doesn't feel as though he's cemented his spot in the ladder-leaders' best line-up.

The spring-heeled small forward has been given a licence to fly for big marks by coach Luke Beveridge and has utilised the freedom, putting together an impressive highlights catalogue.

Since breaking into the team with a three-goal haul against Port Adelaide in round nine, Weightman has played seven consecutive games, culminating in a career-best four goals against North Melbourne last Sunday.

But it is the less-spectacular elements of the second-year player's game that are most valued internally at the Bulldogs, where is known as 'Flea' because of namesake and former Richmond champion Dale 'Flea' Weightman, as well as his 177cm frame.

"That's what keeps you in the team and that's what the team has success off the back of, so that's definitely where my focus is - the smothers, the tackles and the 'flea-like' nature," Weightman said.

"I like to have the mindset that I'm not (cemented in the team) because I think that's when I play my best football, when I'm not complacent and I'm doing the desperate stuff.

"I like to hope that I've done a few good things now that have given me a little bit of credit that might keep me in the team, but at the same time I'm approaching it as if I'm playing for my life each week."

Weightman showed his aerial ability with a pair of contested marks in the win over North Melbourne and generated plenty of hype with a huge ride on Carlton's Ryley Stoddart in a VFL game in May.

"Coming out of the draft that was a strength of mine and since then I've been able to create a bit more of a complete game, which has probably held me in good stead," Weightman said.

"But certainly you play to your strengths at this club, which is what Bevo and the rest of the coaching group preach.

"I've certainly got the licence to jump if I feel like it's my time to go, but obviously given my stature, there's times when I've got to stay down and play that type of role as well."

Weightman said he is unsure how the Bulldogs will line up in attack in a crunch clash with Sydney at Marvel Stadium on Sunday, with key forward Aaron Naughton ruled out under concussion protocols.

Naughton was substituted out of the North Melbourne game after landing heavily from a marking contest and did light work on an exercise bike on Tuesday.

"He's in good spirits and feeling a lot better now," Weightman said.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2021, 06:04 PM
"I like to hope that I've done a few good things now that have given me a little bit of credit that might keep me in the team, but at the same time I'm approaching it as if I'm playing for my life each week."

Love it.

Dry Rot
07-07-2021, 09:34 PM
I love the way a first round draft pick has bided his time, accepted that 2020 was a write off with little VFL, worked on his game in 2021 in the VFL and improved areas like pressure, cracked the AFL team and is now blossoming.

Could be a good example for another first round draft pick currently playing VFL.