PDA

View Full Version : The half time break / Length of the game

GVGjr
27-11-2019, 11:27 PM
The AFL are considering reducing the half time break from 20 minutes to 10 or 12 minutes for next year

There are probably a few good reasons why they are considering this but from a fans perspective a lot of supporters don't get to their seats until at least 5 minutes into the quarter because they are often caught in queues for food or using the amenities etc this would only make that worse

What happens to the little league games? There wouldn't be time to set them up would there?

jeemak
27-11-2019, 11:33 PM
The AFL are considering reducing the half time break from 20 minutes to 10 or 12 minutes for next year

There are probably a few good reasons why they are considering this but from a fans perspective a lot of supporters don't get to their seats until at least 5 minutes into the quarter because they are often caught in queues for food or using the amenities etc this would only make that worse

What happens to the little league games? There wouldn't be time to set them up would there?

What happens to at ground vendor sales and advertising revenue? My immediate thought is that viewers have been found to turn off and not return after the break, and this in total outweighs the negatives to the former two.

From this article it seems it's to improve the TV product...….

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/afl-wants-to-slash-half-time-break-to-10-minutes-ng-b881395339z

GVGjr
27-11-2019, 11:39 PM
I think the argument by the players is that the break is to long and at times contributes to injuries

I'm not sure it's going to be convenient for the fans that get to the games though

Just read a bit on the HS and it's got mixed support

Apparently the little league will be before the game

bornadog
28-11-2019, 12:39 AM
This is just another crap move by these morons based at AFL HQ. What is wrong with these people, thinking they want to leave their mark on the game by interfering. They are also considering having Player call for a dispute of a score.

Within the next few years, Hocking will have time out in the middle of the quarter.

The rule book needs to be ripped up and go back to the rules in 1996.

FrediKanoute
28-11-2019, 04:36 AM
Crap move. Soccer the break is 15 mins - that is no where near enough time to grab a pint and drink it and get back to your seat - most people either leave 5 mins before half time or don't bother.

GVGjr
28-11-2019, 06:01 AM
This is just another crap move by these morons based at AFL HQ. What is wrong with these people, thinking they want to leave their mark on the game by interfering. They are also considering having Player call for a dispute of a score.

Within the next few years, Hocking will have time out in the middle of the quarter.

The rule book needs to be ripped up and go back to the rules in 1996.

This isn't a rule change though and it's apparently got the players support

I don't think it's a good change for the fans who attend the games

jeemak
28-11-2019, 07:02 AM

But who really gives a shit about the fans who attend the games, right?

Yes, I get that players cool down too much after a long break, and I also get that they all just want to get out there and atone for the bad stuff they've been coached not to do, or make hay on the good stuff they should be doing.

The game's about the fans, and without those who attend it's nothing irrespective of what the TV networks and other broadcasters suggest. Seriously, the best way to stop people from watching the game on TV is by enforcing a situation where people at the game itself are less comfortable in doing so. One comes after the other.

Hotdog60
28-11-2019, 07:34 AM
I barely have enough time now during the half time break to get to my PC and jump onto WOOF to see how the general consensus is on how we are going.
Let alone to make the missus a cup of tea as well.
It wouldn't affect me to much if I could see games live as when my bum hit the seat in the past it didn't move until the game was over.
On second thoughts it would effect me because more people will obstructing my view for longer when they are returning to there seats.
It happened to the last game I saw in Brisbane in which I missed a passage of play in the pocket because of people walking up and down the aisles.

bornadog
28-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Not a rule change, but one of the many *!*!*!*! ups by this administration.

Remi Moses
28-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Personally , I think the game time should be shortened
It’s way too long

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2019, 10:30 AM
But who really gives a shit about the fans who attend the games, right?

Yes, I get that players cool down too much after a long break, and I also get that they all just want to get out there and atone for the bad stuff they've been coached not to do, or make hay on the good stuff they should be doing.

The game's about the fans, and without those who attend it's nothing irrespective of what the TV networks and other broadcasters suggest. Seriously, the best way to stop people from watching the game on TV is by enforcing a situation where people at the game itself are less comfortable in doing so. One comes after the other.

Good post jeemak - my thoughts exactly.

The game forgets about the fans a little more with every passing year.

If it wasn't for the Dogs, I'd have given up on the AFL. Personally find myself watching the NBA and enjoying that more.

Twodogs
28-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Personally , I think the game time should be shortened
It’s way too long

I'm with Remy. I'm happy to see the break cut. 20 minutes is too long when you just want the game to start again.

GVGjr
28-11-2019, 11:53 AM
I'm with Remy. I'm happy to see the break cut. 20 minutes is too long when you just want the game to start again.

Isn't Remy saying that the game time is too long not the half time break

Twodogs
28-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Isn't Remy saying that the game time is too long not the half time break

You might be right. At first I read it as "shortening the half time will also reduce the game time."

Anyway put me down in the 'halve the half time break' group. Halftime takes too long.

My old man always said that a quick game is a good game

bornadog
28-11-2019, 12:11 PM
You might be right. At first I read it as "shortening the half time will also reduce the game time."

Anyway put me down in the 'halve the half time break' group. Halftime takes too long.

My old man always said that a quick game is a good game

I have been going to\ the Footy for as long as I remember (50 plus years) and have no problems with the current setup as far as time goes.

Twodogs
28-11-2019, 12:23 PM
I have been going to\ the Footy for as long as I remember (50 plus years) and have no problems with the current setup as far as time goes.

I've never liked how long the halftime break takes. It's always sort of bugged me that we all just stand around for 20 minutes.

My real fear is the AFL will start advertising and giving us 'experiences' at the ground during the halftime break and it will start to get longer.

GVGjr
28-11-2019, 01:05 PM

If you base things on the fans that turn up to the games the breaks should be extended. So many people arrive at their seat 5 minutes into the quarter each quarter for whatever reason

Mofra
28-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Seems the coaches are on board with it. If halftime was only 10 minutes long Brian Lake probably wouldn't be deaf in one ear from all of Eade's "conversations"

jeemak
28-11-2019, 02:16 PM
I thought it actually used to be 15 minutes. I'd be happy with 15, as 10 seems too short.

bornadog
28-11-2019, 02:28 PM
If you base things on the fans that turn up to the games the breaks should be extended. So many people arrive at their seat 5 minutes into the quarter each quarter for whatever reason

I don't believe that any other sport in the whole world is tampered with as much as AFL

Bulldog Revolution
28-11-2019, 05:18 PM
They want to shorten the half time break but run the draft over two nights?

jeemak
28-11-2019, 05:27 PM

TV outcomes in each case, nothing to do with fans.

They don't care how many people they inconvenience, rather, just try and catch the highest possible aggregate of people throughout. Eventually though people will get inconvenienced and people will get sick of it in too high a number, and it will go to shit for them.

Axe Man
28-11-2019, 05:35 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/y6XRhsTv/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Eastdog
28-11-2019, 08:51 PM
I usually go to the EJ Whitten Social Club for a drink at half time but if this happens then will have to go either pre game or after the game. I walk from Aisle 33 to Aisle 16 to get there so pretty much 10 minute half time it would be very hard to do that.

AFL pandering to much too the TV and not enough to the grassroots supporter who attends the games and pay the membership.

Eastdog
28-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Yep that’s the AFL for you.

azabob
29-11-2019, 10:53 PM
Easty the AFL doesn’t care about grass roots footy.

My 2 bob is the quarters should have no time on and I’d be ok with half time being shortened.

bornadog
29-11-2019, 11:51 PM

My 2 bob is the quarters should have no time on and I’d be ok with half time being shortened.

Have you ever been to an AFLW match

azabob
30-11-2019, 12:52 AM
Have you ever been to an AFLW match

I have, why?

GVGjr
30-11-2019, 05:20 AM

Why would you not want time on?

azabob
30-11-2019, 07:42 AM
Why would you not want time on?

I think the quarters and playing time is too long. Maybe keep time on and reduce the quarters by a couple of minutes?
With the score review and even further proposed changes to it will add more dead time to the game.

We need the game to remain relevant to the younger generation and by potentially increasing the game’s length isn’t the way to do it.

GVGjr
30-11-2019, 09:06 AM
I think the quarters and playing time is too long. Maybe keep time on and reduce the quarters by a couple of minutes?
With the score review and even further proposed changes to it will add more dead time to the game.

We need the game to remain relevant to the younger generation and by potentially increasing the game’s length isn’t the way to do it.

I'm not sure we are 'there yet' with the need of keeping the game relevant to younger people. The club memberships are stronger each year and viewer numbers on TV are also strong so from a popularity perspective I don't think many younger people find the length of a game a particular issue for them. I'd be interested to know why you feel the quarters are too long?
The younger people and many older ones surf their phones for stats, supercoach scores, face book, Twitter and whatever other option there is to chat away with their friends and keep in touch etc and that won't change in the short term.
Are there any stats that say the younger demographic thinks they game should be shortened and if so is it impacting their attendance?

From my persepctive I don't necessarily want to see quarters extended but I wouldn't be happy to see game time reduced not even by 2 minutes a quarter. Time on in my view is an important part of the game and ensures things like an injury to a player doesn't shorten the length of a quarter and potentially the result of a game.

I'm 50/50 on if the half time break should be 10 or 12 minutes instead of the current 20 but I think it will impact the game for many fans that the AFL might not have considered if they make the change.
Of course if there are some legitimate reasons for the players then we should consider it.

Go_Dogs
30-11-2019, 10:25 AM
I'm not fussed about half time being shortened, but wouldn't drop it to 10 minutes, I'd say 12-15 would be appropriate. Enough time to go to the toilet and/or grab some food/drink.

10 mins will probably mean more people stay in the bar after half time and stadiums will seem empty/lose atmosphere if it's too short.

GVGjr
30-11-2019, 11:29 AM
I'm not fussed about half time being shortened, but wouldn't drop it to 10 minutes, I'd say 12-15 would be appropriate. Enough time to go to the toilet and/or grab some food/drink.

10 mins will probably mean more people stay in the bar after half time and stadiums will seem empty/lose atmosphere if it's too short.

I think I read that the coaches and players seem to want a shorter 1/2 time break so the proposal above seems a reasonable compromise

The fans will sort themselves out I suppose.

The Adelaide Connection
30-11-2019, 11:30 AM

Just a point on very young fans, halftime is long enough to get them out and do something meaningful. Most clubs have kids zones that can be accessed that lets them have a run around before doing another hour or so in the seats.

Shortening halftime will mean you probably still do that, but will miss time in the third as a result. This may be enough to turn some with very young kids away from even bothering, because it is quite hard work as it is.

Twodogs
30-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Just a point on very young fans, halftime is long enough to get them out and do something meaningful. Most clubs have kids zones that can be accessed that lets them have a run around before doing another hour or so in the seats.

Shortening halftime will mean you probably still do that, but will miss time in the third as a result. This may be enough to turn some with very young kids away from even bothering, because it is quite hard work as it is.

This is all very true. I can remember taking it in turns with my dad to amuse my kids while one of us watched the game. Leaving them home isn't an option because there is inculcating to do-if you are going to leave your kids home then you are likely not to go either I reckon.

Maybe that's what the AFL wants? Us sitting at home and watching the advertising between goals.

bornadog
30-11-2019, 04:32 PM
I have, why?

For example, I find the 15 minute quarters too short.

I think there is nothing wrong with the game as is. The tweaks should be, get rid of the time wasting we have with whether it is a goal, let the umpire make a decision. The umpires fluffing around with working out the rucks, the boundary umpire waiting to see if everyone is lined up for the throw in. Just ball it up or throw the bloody ball back in. These will save at least 3 or 4 minutes per quarter.

hujsh
01-12-2019, 12:43 AM
Personally as someone not interested in overpaying for beer or sub-par food I find the 20 minute break quite boring and tedious to sit through. Shortening it is more of a reason to go in person for me. Maybe I'm somewhat alone since everyone else has said fans will hate the change but this particular fan would like it

GVGjr
01-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Personally as someone not interested in overpaying for beer or sub-par food I find the 20 minute break quite boring and tedious to sit through. Shortening it is more of a reason to go in person for me. Maybe I'm somewhat alone since everyone else has said fans will hate the change but this particular fan would like it

So the length of the half time break could be a consideration for your attendance at games? There must be a bit more to this than I'm grasping

GVGjr
01-12-2019, 11:29 AM
What do people currently do during the half time breaks?

I normally visit the toilet and then because I'm fortunate enough to have a membership room to go to I grab a glass of water and I catch up with other members to discuss the game. I also log onto WOOF

Now if I wasn't doing that I'd be listening to the radio and scanning through the footy record but I don't really find the length of the half time break a problem.
If the break is shortened then it won't be hard to adjust for me but I suspect it will be a bit of an issue with people taking their children to the footy, those who want to go outside for a smoke or anyone wanting to line up for a coffee, beer or a bite to eat.

At the end of the day, if it's better for the players we will all find a way to adjust

hujsh
01-12-2019, 03:31 PM
So the length of the half time break could be a consideration for your attendance at games? There must be a bit more to this than I'm grasping

That's a leap to imply it'd be a decisive factor in whether I go or not. It enhances the appeal and experience which is important when I have the option of watching the game in my own home, at the time of my choosing, with my own food and drink, on a comfy couch, with the option to pause the game, skip replays of opposition goals and skip the half time break all together.

All I'm saying is it would help balance the ledger when home viewing has become a much more appealing option compared to a decade ago

GVGjr
01-12-2019, 03:34 PM
That's a leap to imply it'd be a decisive factor in whether I go or not. It enhances the appeal and experience which is important when I have the option of watching the game in my own home, at the time of my choosing, with my own food and drink, on a comfy couch, with the option to pause the game, skip replays of opposition goals and skip the half time break all together.

All I'm saying is it would help balance the ledger when home viewing has become a much more appealing option compared to a decade ago

The comment I highlighted/quoted was "Shortening it is more of a reason to go in person for me" Looks like I misread it
If it is however, coming into the "will I" or "won't I" go decision then it's clearly an important one and maybe for many more fans

Twodogs
01-12-2019, 04:01 PM
What do people currently do during the half time breaks?

I used to go for a smoke (a couple of years ago I botted a smoke off Billy Picken up at Ballarat) but it's been a year and a half since I've had one so it's mainly picking fights with opposition supporters now.

GVGjr
01-12-2019, 05:37 PM
I used to go for a smoke (a couple of years ago I botted a smoke off Billy Picken up at Ballarat) but it's been a year and a half since I've had one so it's mainly picking fights with opposition supporters now.

So a reduced break would be no impact to you?

Twodogs
01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
So a reduced break would be no impact to you?

My preference is to lessen the beak time. If it's not going to affect player welfare then I'd rather the break was 10 or 15 minutes instead of 20.

GVGjr
01-12-2019, 07:48 PM
My preference is to lessen the beak time. If it's not going to affect player welfare then I'd rather the break was 10 or 15 minutes instead of 20.

And whats the advantage for you as a spectator?

Twodogs
01-12-2019, 08:10 PM
And whats the advantage for you as a spectator?

Less standing around waiting for the game to restart basically.

bornadog
01-12-2019, 11:21 PM
I bet the compromise is 15 minutes. ( I thought it was 15)

Dancin' Douggy
02-12-2019, 01:39 AM
What about the players??? AFL is just about the most demanding sport on the planet. Big field, endless running with collisions coming at you from any direction at any time. If they need 20 minutes then give 'em 20 minutes. I'd be happy to give them half an hour IF THAT IS BEST FOR THE PLAYERS. Why does everything have to be rushed and abbreviated and crammed in to a tight and eternally tighter and tighter schedule? Why is everything force-fed down your throat like you're a dumb, caged Christmas goose. I'm happy to wait, in fact, I LOVE the 'long' half time break. It's a breather for everyone. Waiting is the new black.

GVGjr
02-12-2019, 02:52 AM
What about the players??? AFL is just about the most demanding sport on the planet. Big field, endless running with collisions coming at you from any direction at any time. If they need 20 minutes then give 'em 20 minutes. I'd be happy to give them half an hour IF THAT IS BEST FOR THE PLAYERS. Why does everything have to be rushed and abbreviated and crammed in to a tight and eternally tighter and tighter schedule? Why is everything force-fed down your throat like you're a dumb, caged Christmas goose. I'm happy to wait, in fact, I LOVE the 'long' half time break. It's a breather for everyone. Waiting is the new black.
The reduced break is being considered apparently because the players want it. They would rather stay on the ground and feel the longer break contributes to injuries

Mofra
02-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Take one minute off each quarter, keep the same time on. People would hardly notice. Take off five minutes from the halftime break, run Auskick before the game.

Twodogs
02-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Heh!

Axe Man
02-12-2019, 01:23 PM
This a solution to a problem I wasn't aware we had. Never have I heard anyone previously complain that the game or half time is too long.

Is impatience a growing trend in society? I can understand T20 cricket with 50 over cricket having a tenancy to drag on, but now we have 100 ball cricket and T10 cricket because apparently T20 is too long. Then there's 8/7/6 minute abs.

Chill out and relax, footy is an escape for most of us, what's the hurry?

Eastdog
02-12-2019, 01:35 PM

Good post DD.

Eastdog
02-12-2019, 01:45 PM
Heh!

The new black: something which is suddenly extremely popular or fashionable.

hujsh
02-12-2019, 02:36 PM
This a solution to a problem I wasn't aware we had. Never have I heard anyone previously complain that the game or half time is too long.

Is impatience a growing trend in society? I can understand T20 cricket with 50 over cricket having a tenancy to drag on, but now we have 100 ball cricket and T10 cricket because apparently T20 is too long. Then there's 8/7/6 minute abs.

Personally, I just can't stand being bored and having nothing to do.

hujsh
02-12-2019, 02:38 PM
Good post DD.

Except as previously stated it's based on the incorrect premise that the players want the break. They feel the long cool down period increases the risk of injury apparently.

Axe Man
02-12-2019, 02:55 PM
Except as previously stated it's based on the incorrect premise that the players want the break. They feel the long cool down period increases the risk of injury apparently.

I would like to see if there is anything to that, perhaps instances of soft tissue injuries early in the third quarter. Gut feel is there would be little correlation.

Personally playing I always felt a bit flat early in the third and that was only after I think an 8 minute break. 20 minutes is probably too long for the players, although not everything is about the players. I also read that it takes them about 3 minutes each way to get down and back from the rooms, so that leaves 4 minutes - might as well just stay on the ground.

In the end I think 15 minutes is a fair compromise, 10 is just too short for a large number of fans at the game.

Dancin' Douggy
02-12-2019, 03:33 PM
The reduced break is being considered apparently because the players want it. They would rather stay on the ground and feel the longer break contributes to injuries

I'm presuming the data backs this up. If so.........well I guess go with what the players want. Gonna be hard to get a pie or a beer in the break though!

Eastdog
02-12-2019, 03:37 PM
I'm presuming the data backs this up. If so.........well I guess go with what the players want. Gonna be hard to get a pie or a beer in the break though!

As a social club member would be hard to go at half time now to the Victory room from my seat but it is what it is and I can still enjoy a beer as that is just at the back of Level 1 Aisle 33 in the ground.

hujsh
02-12-2019, 03:43 PM
I would like to see if there is anything to that, perhaps instances of soft tissue injuries early in the third quarter. Gut feel is there would be little correlation.

Personally playing I always felt a bit flat early in the third and that was only after I think an 8 minute break. 20 minutes is probably too long for the players, although not everything is about the players. I also read that it takes them about 3 minutes each way to get down and back from the rooms, so that leaves 4 minutes - might as well just stay on the ground.

In the end I think 15 minutes is a fair compromise, 10 is just too short for a large number of fans at the game.

You're probably right on those points.

Further on not everything being about the players I'm sure they also don't want to be answering questions on the bench or at half time but they do it anyway (for the money but still)

Twodogs
02-12-2019, 07:38 PM
The new black: something which is suddenly extremely popular or fashionable.

Thanks Boomer.

Eastdog
02-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Thanks Boomer.

I’m Gen Y :) looked it up online :)

jeemak
02-12-2019, 08:01 PM

Really? I was pretty sure the original articles suggested it was being considered to improve the television product. If the narrative is being changed to suggest it's player lead, then that's some really dynamic work from all involved who realised fans not being considered was a terrible message compared to player welfare.

GVGjr
02-12-2019, 08:05 PM

While I tend to agree, it's very interesting to me that it's clearly an issue for some on here. If you accept that the trend is your friend then there is a real chance this will gain momentum over time and I'd like to gain an understanding of what the challenges are for people. Will we eventually see 15 minute quarters and just a 10 minute break at half time?

GVGjr
02-12-2019, 08:06 PM
Really? I was pretty sure the original articles suggested it was being considered to improve the television product. If the narrative is being changed to suggest it's player lead, then that's some really dynamic work from all involved who realised fans not being considered was a terrible message compared to player welfare.
I'm sure Dangerfield was asked about it and thought it would help players and clubs manage/prevent injuries

I'll have another look

HOSE B ROMERO
02-12-2019, 08:32 PM
When i first heard this i had to look up and check the calendar..nope it's November not April.
Agree with many of the reasons previously mentioned to keep the status quo. But even if you don't leave your spot at half time, can you imagine how annoying it's going to be for the first 10 minutes of the third qtr as people are trying to get past you back to their spot?
So they make this change and I can't wait for their suggestions to help us mere little supporters to adjust:

'In order to alleviate toilet queue's, the AFL would encourage you to share a urinal with a fellow supporter;
'All smokers can go to a special room to fill their lungs with s*** while watching 'Quit' and 'Life be in it' ads;

Me? I just want the full 20 minutes so i can continue my quest to find that f***wit who bangs on over the P.A.

HOSE B ROMERO
02-12-2019, 08:37 PM
While I tend to agree, it's very interesting to me that it's clearly an issue for some on here. If you accept that the trend is your friend then there is a real chance this will gain momentum over time and I'd like to gain an understanding of what the challenges are for people. Will we eventually see 15 minute quarters and just a 10 minute break at half time?

GVG I recently saw an ad for a house with 4 bedrooms & 6 bathrooms. How about a match where we have 5 minute quarters and 7 minute breaks?

bornadog
02-12-2019, 09:09 PM
I'm sure Dangerfield was asked about it and thought it would help players and clubs manage/prevent injuries

I'll have another look

Here you are:

(https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kennett-attacks-afl-proposal-to-slash-half-time-break-in-half-20191128-p53eu3.html)Kennett attacks AFL proposal to slash half-time break in half (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kennett-attacks-afl-proposal-to-slash-half-time-break-in-half-20191128-p53eu3.html)

The Age has confirmed the AFL has raised the prospect of cutting the half-time break from 20 minutes to 10 minutes in 2020, as a means of shortening the game, at a meeting with club chief executives before the first round of the AFL draft on Wednesday.

Twodogs
02-12-2019, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I'm not agreeing with Kennett on principle.

bornadog
02-12-2019, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I'm not agreeing with Kennett on principle.

It's the AFL once more tinkering with the game just because they want to leave a legacy. Personally, I think Hocking should be sacked with all the stupid ideas he has come up with.

hujsh
03-12-2019, 10:08 AM

Now that I am against. You can take my actual game time from my cold dead hands

westdog54
03-12-2019, 11:30 AM
I'd be interested to see how much time-on on average in a quarter is expended after goals.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the clock once continue running after a goal?

Twodogs
03-12-2019, 12:02 PM
I’m Gen Y :) looked it up online :)

Listen Sharon. Are you listening to me Sharon? It was more the mansplaining than anything else. :)

I know when boomers finished-I'm in the last year before it went to the next thing-baby boomers were the generation from 1945-1964 and I was born in March 1964.

HOSE B ROMERO
03-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Here you are:

(https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kennett-attacks-afl-proposal-to-slash-half-time-break-in-half-20191128-p53eu3.html)Kennett attacks AFL proposal to slash half-time break in half (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kennett-attacks-afl-proposal-to-slash-half-time-break-in-half-20191128-p53eu3.html)

The Age has confirmed the AFL has raised the prospect of cutting the half-time break from 20 minutes to 10 minutes in 2020, as a means of shortening the game, at a meeting with club chief executives before the first round of the AFL draft on Wednesday.

Er wait what??? Arghh.. now i have to take the opposite viewpoint. Ten minute break please.

Twodogs
03-12-2019, 09:58 PM
Er wait what??? Arghh.. now i have to take the opposite viewpoint. Ten minute break please.

Perzactly.

It's a matter of pride.

hujsh
04-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Here you are:

Perzactly.

It's a matter of pride.

I'm proud to have always been on the right side of history

GVGjr
10-12-2019, 08:15 PM
The Hun has mentioned that the break will likely be shortened to 15 minutes which will hopefully helps the players and those fans who find the half time break too long

Decent compromise I would have thought

Remi Moses
10-12-2019, 08:32 PM
If we can get 5 min less of the deafening experience ,
Sorry fan experience, I’ll be happy ! It’s getting to the stage where the time off outways the actual playing time! 20 min plus about 12 plus time on is way overs

Hotdog60
10-12-2019, 11:32 PM
It will be a push from television. Tv execs want the product shorten because its too long for their time slots.
I love being able to watch on TV because I can't go watch live but since the game first got broadcast in full the rules have kept changing.
They pay the big bucks and AFL house is in their pockets. Twilight Grand Finals will be in very soon because TV wants it.

jeemak
11-12-2019, 02:44 AM
It will be a push from television. Tv execs want the product shorten because its too long for their time slots.
I love being able to watch on TV because I can't go watch live but since the game first got broadcast in full the rules have kept changing.
They pay the big bucks and AFL house is in their pockets. Twilight Grand Finals will be in very soon because TV wants it.

Yep, the person in the crowd is less of a consideration than ever, and as Remi states the "fan experience" is getting super tiresome. After 2017 I decided I was going to try watching in the comfort of my own home and in honesty it was just as good if not better than going. I still bought a membership that enabled me to attend any game I want, and I went when I felt like it. In honesty, I don't regret having now two years off seeing the game live, given that I've spent the year this year in Vietnam. However, I plan to secure a decent seat for the coming season and attend more games as I have missed it.

I actually always thought the half time break was about fifteen minutes anyway, and usually spent it catching up with folks for a beer and a good laugh which meant most of the time I went back to watching the game into the third quarter anyway. So no real difference for me I suppose, other than missing ten minutes of the third instead of five.

Remi Moses
11-12-2019, 04:22 PM
I feel empathy to the fans not in standing area like I am at Marvel
It’s even worse by all accounts .
I know it’s got to the stage at Melb victory games where I rock up late to avoid the “fan experience” deafening decibel level

Axe Man
11-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Personally watching live is so far and away a better option than watching on TV it's not even comparable. Obviously other factors in life can affect ability and desire to attend, but all things being equal I would much rather be there than yelling at a TV.

The fan or match day experience doesn't really bother me at all. Maybe it's because I have small children so I am used to blocking out annoying, unrelenting, high volume noise.

bornadog
11-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Personally watching live is so far and away a better option than watching on TV it's not even comparable. Obviously other factors in life can affect ability and desire to attend, but all things being equal I would much rather be there than yelling at a TV.

The fan or match day experience doesn't really bother me at all. Maybe it's because I have small children so I am used to blocking out annoying, unrelenting, high volume noise.

I prefer live as well, but hate the so called fan experience. Its hard to talk over the relenting noise from the speakers topped off with lights flashing around the fence.

15 minutes is a good compromise, as I thought it was only 15 anyhow

GVGjr
30-12-2019, 01:41 AM
Clubs anticipate the AFL will trial a shorter half-time break during the Marsh Community Series before introducing it in 2020.

Geelong football manager Simon Lloyd said the Cats had no issue with the potential shortening to 15 minutes after the AFL originally floated the idea of reducing half-time from 20 to 10 minutes.

He said from a pure footballing perspective, the shorter break was fine because, under existing arrangements, players had to warm-up again before they ran out for the third quarter. However, he respected the concerns raised by those attending games.

"If they do trim it that would help viewers at home but I suppose you would still need to work out what does it mean for food and beverage, what does it mean for people going to the toilet, what does it mean for the people at the stadium?" Lloyd said.

"At the moment they are talking about trialling it in the Marsh Series."

From the Age

Twodogs
30-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Is Simon Lloyd Matthew's brother?

Did he play with Willy for a while?

westdog54
01-01-2020, 09:35 PM
It was Brad Lloyd that played with Williamstown.

Twodogs
02-01-2020, 12:13 AM

Thanks mate. Are Scooter and Brad twins?

westdog54
02-01-2020, 12:23 AM
Thanks mate. Are Scooter and Brad twins?

No idea to be honest, the best I could establish from wikipedia is that they are both older than Llordo.

Its an impressive football family, all things considered, given the older two both run football departments and Matthew's career achievements.

Dad John also coached Braybrook to three premierships in the 70s.

Twodogs
02-01-2020, 02:18 PM
No idea to be honest, the best I could establish from wikipedia is that they are both older than Llordo.

Its an impressive football family, all things considered, given the older two both run football departments and Matthew's career achievements.

Dad John also coached Braybrook to three premierships in the 70s.

Didn't know about the dad coaching the brookers. He may well have coached the younger versions of Doug Hawkins, Brian Wilson and Robbie Groenewagon. It's a shame that his kids didn't residentially qualify for us then. Matty would have come in handy at those times we desperately needed a tall forward. It would have stopped Steve Kretiuk punching his hand that time too.

Webby
02-01-2020, 09:15 PM

Simon Lloyd is a Willy premiership captain. ‘90 or ‘91.
He is Brad and Matthew’s older brother. And yes, I believe Brad also played for Willy.

GVGjr
15-01-2020, 02:20 AM
Interesting discussion about the length of the game on the Hun

The AFL Players’ Association says it is keen to discuss the “obvious benefit” of shortening the length of quarters in games to help prolong players’ careers.

Geelong superstar and Players’ Association president Patrick Dangerfield has again thrown his support behind a proposal to cut the length of matches, adamant four 25-minute quarters is enough.

The concept has received strong support across the industry in recent years with AFL legend Leigh Matthews adamant a shorter game would be “much, much better” for players and younger fans.

And the powerful Players’ Association is prepared to take the issue further with the league.

PA player and stakeholder relations manager Brett Murphy said there would be advantages of shortening games given the huge physical demands currently on players.

“The length of the game has been a talking point with players for the past few seasons,” Murphy told the Herald Sun.

“Whilst there is no current proposal from the AFL on what this would look like, we welcome the opportunity to discuss it given the obvious benefit to player health and career longevity.”

The AFL yesterday confirmed it had no plans to reduce game length for next season.

But the half time interval is set to be cut from 20 minutes to 15 minutes following final talks with clubs and broadcasters.

The league believes a 15-minute halftime interval is sufficient for the players who take about three minutes to exit and re-enter the playing surface at the main change.

The average length of quarters increased by 11 seconds to 30 minutes and 35 seconds per game last season, according to Champion Data.

That increase was despite a raft of rule changes to help minimise repeat stoppages and congestion which has plagued the game and reduced scoring in recent years.

bornadog
15-01-2020, 10:01 AM
The teams still only play 20 minutes. The rest of the minutes are taken up by stoppages etc.

Solution: Unlimited interchange to give more players a rest. :D

Axe Man
29-01-2020, 05:10 PM
Heard Bevo on the news saying that he and the coaching and medical staff are not happy with the reduction in the half time break with many things to be covered in a short time.

bornadog
29-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Heard Bevo on the news saying that he and the coaching and medical staff are not happy with the reduction in the half time break with many things to be covered in a short time.

No idea why this AFL so called management want to keep changing things. They are the worse administrators of any major sport in the whole world. #sackhockingnow

bornadog
01-02-2020, 02:17 PM
Will stay at 20 minutes

Go_Dogs
02-02-2020, 08:19 AM
All of that for no change...

I was quite comfortable with 15 minutes.