PDA

View Full Version : Hardest teams to beat?

BulldogBelle
21-02-2008, 08:14 PM
All clubs struggle to beat certain teams...which 3 teams do you cringe at when we come up against them?

1. St Kilda - This team really annoys the heck out of me, doesn't matter what we do they always seem to have our measure. It is time this season to beat them and beat them well.

2. Sydney - Enough said, I would love to play them in Melbourne...just once!

3. Essendon - Match up very well on them, so I always worry when we come up against them.

hujsh
21-02-2008, 08:17 PM
All clubs struggle to beat certain teams...which 3 teams do you cringe at when we come up against them?

1. St Kilda - This team really annoys the heck out of me, doesn't matter what we do they always seem to have our measure. It is time this season to beat them and beat them well.

2. Sydney - Enough said, I would love to play them in Melbourne...just once!

3. Essendon - Match up very well on them, so I always worry when we come up against them.

What? Easy beat for a couple of years for us. surely Adelaide deserve a mention before them:confused:

BulldogBelle
21-02-2008, 08:26 PM
What? Easy beat for a couple of years for us. surely Adelaide deserve a mention before them:confused:

We have beat them in recent times but I still cringe when we come up against them - Adelaide was a close fourth. How about you place up your list?

The Bulldogs Bite
21-02-2008, 08:39 PM
1. Sydney: Never get close, pump us every time. It's one game I don't look forward to because they've had our measure for quite some time now. Love to play them in Melbourne, but seems unlikely for a few years yet.

2. St. Kilda: Although we've been smashed a few times, there's been a couple games we've been in with a chance. One of Gehrig, Riewoldt or Kozi seem to pull them over the line every time though. We've had better opportunities to beat this mob than we have Sydney, I think. Nevertheless The Saints are still a boogey team - we struggle against them.

3. The Kangaroos: Instead of putting Adelaide etc. I decided to go with one slightly from left field. Although we haven't been hopeless in recent times against The Roos, they always make a match out of it. Flogged us both times in 2007 when I thought we were certainties the first time around, and if I recall correctly they got over us at the G in '06. That's as long as my memory cats back, although I know they've either been close games regardless of ladder position or we've lost. For one reason or another, our players don't fire against The Roos; the forward line structure fails miserably every time, whilst they have a so-so player that dominates us (Petrie kicked 7). The amount of times we've bombed the ball into our forward line only to be out-muscled by their bigger players is ridiculous. They have spirit but I don't rate North as a particularly talented side. We need to start accounting for them if we're going to be a threat.

hujsh
21-02-2008, 08:52 PM
1. Sydney. The ultimate task for this team
2.Adelaide. Last win was a great comback that wouldn't have happened if they didn't try kick to kick (credit to us for maning up)
3.St.Kilda. Recent draw has me more optimistic we can beat them

Essendon just above Richmond (that is serious if you think I'm joking)

bornadog
22-02-2008, 12:00 AM
1. Sydney for me too, however, we haven't played them at home for a long time so I would like to see a game at the TD.

2. Adelaide at Footy park

3. St Kilda at the dome is always tough.

LostDoggy
22-02-2008, 12:20 AM
I am prob going with the general concencus(sp)

1- StKilda..hate going to the game knowing Riewoltd is going to destroy us.. i was so excited when we were ahead with hardly anytime to go last year..untill he got the ball and kicked that 55m point, we havent beaten them since 2004 (at the G). Last time we beat them at "Docklands" was 2002 :| hope we can change that this year.

2 - Adelaide @ AAMI is always a scary feeling.

3 - And ill go with Melbourne, who we have beaten recently but its still a game i never feel confident with, no matter where we or they are sitting on the ladder

Bulldog Revolution
22-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Good post BBelle,

I certainly agree with 2 of the 3 - St Kilda and Sydney have been very hard for us to beat.

And almost all games at AAMI have been hard to win. We gave port a pasting in 2006 but we've scarcely won their over the past 6 years.

Go_Dogs
22-02-2008, 11:51 AM
1. Adelaide - We used to play OK at the then Footy Park, we just cannot kick more than 6 goals down there now.

2. Kangaroos - Often seem to surprise and play a great game against us either when they're up or down on form. A side like Adelaide that relies more on discipline and structure to beat us.

3. Sydney - much the same as above really. Not playing a home game against them doesn't help.

Dry Rot
26-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Interesting that the two premier lockdown teams feature in this - Swans and Crows. By contrast, say the Pies have a good record recently v Swans.

Has anyone seen anything from the pre-season or training which would suggest that we are trying things to counter their tactics against us?

Also seems the forward height of Saints is a worry - a suppose a fit selection of Lake, Williams and Everitt might counter this?

Go_Dogs
26-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Has anyone seen anything from the pre-season or training which would suggest that we are trying things to counter their tactics against us?

We'll know the answer to this come round one. I hope we have employed some new tactical plans, as the Crows numbers to the contest, and zones always destroy us. Hopefully Rocket has been working on some new innovations over summer, as was promised, that we're yet to see thus far in the pre-season.

hujsh
26-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Also seems the forward height of Saints is a worry - a suppose a fit selection of Lake, Williams and Everitt might counter this?

Well i feel happy with Lake on Gehrig but Everitt and Williams on Kosi and Riewoldt I'm not sure about.

Dry Rot
26-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Well i feel happy with Lake on Gehrig but Everitt and Williams on Kosi and Riewoldt I'm not sure about.

Neither am I. Ditto MCDougall or Wight. Leaves Hargrave and Morris again playing on much bigger guys as in previous seasons.

hujsh
26-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Neither am I. Ditto MCDougall or Wight. Leaves Hargrave and Morris again playing on much bigger guys as in previous seasons.

Morris would get Riewoldt in my coaching book as he would at least run with him.

Kosi i think would have to get Williams unless we clone Lake as no-one else is strong enough in contests. Sad but true (McDougal not in the side)