PDA

View Full Version : Bontempelli to succeed Wood as captain

Axe Man
10-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Bontempelli to succeed Wood as captain (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/540706/bontempelli-to-succeed-wood-as-captain?fbclid=IwAR2p2kbNuUKfq5i1zUWpOuTQzqUYxapFZr1whV8XO1D ADluJnumYLnKJHZo)
https://i.ibb.co/VgJ7V6Z/2020-Captain-1920x1080-ART.png (https://ibb.co/m9bLJpw)

Star midfielder Marcus Bontempelli will lead the Western Bulldogs in 2020.

The 24-year-old will inherit the captaincy from 2016 premiership skipper Easton Wood, who has stepped down after two years in the role but will remain in the leadership group.

Bontempelli, who has been the Bulldogs’ vice-captain for the past two seasons, will have Lachie Hunter as his deputy.

The three-time Charles Sutton Medallist will lead a six-man leadership group, which includes Hunter, Wood, Jason Johannisen, Mitch Wallis and new addition, Josh Dunkley.

Wood announced his decision to players on Monday, with a player vote this morning confirming the Bulldogs’ new captain and vice-captain.

Senior coach Luke Beveridge praised Wood’s leadership during an important period for the Club.

“On behalf of everyone associated with our Club, I want to thank and congratulate Easton for his outstanding contribution as our captain during a period of success and significant change,” Beveridge said.

“The hallmark of great leaders is consistency of temperament, care for others and work ethic regardless of the circumstances.

“Easton has most definitely been dependable in displaying these traits and has forged a reputation as a beacon of strength and resilience within our Club.”

Wood, who deputised for the injured Bob Murphy to lead the Bulldogs to the ultimate success in 2016, said with many strong leaders in the Bulldogs’ ranks he felt the time was right to hand the reins to a new captain.

Bontempelli and Hunter are the right men to build on the environment and culture fostered by Wood and Murphy in recent years, according to Beveridge and the Bulldogs’ playing group.

Marcus has been acknowledged by his peers as the young man who deserves recognition through past contributions, the promise of the future and the impression he will make as the captain of our Club.

“Congratulations to Marcus as he succeeds Easton as our captain,” Beveridge said.

“We have come to admire Marcus for the impact he has had on the game and his already remarkable reputation as a Western Bulldogs player.

“We are blessed to have tremendous wealth of character within our playing group. Marcus has been acknowledged by his peers as the young man who deserves recognition through past contributions, the promise of the future and the impression he will make as the captain of our Club.

“It goes without saying that everyone here is thrilled for Marcus and will do all we can to support him as he takes on new responsibilities.

“We also congratulate Lachie as we recognise him through the vice-captaincy as the teammate best equipped to support Marcus, to continue to set a fine example and grow his own leadership qualities.”

Mofra
10-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Good call. Bont leads by example and speaks well.

Grantysghost
10-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Happy with this. Interestingly Trengove dropped from the leadership group for Dunkley. He's having a good run !

bulldogtragic
10-12-2019, 12:41 PM
Would've liked to have seen Macrae in the leadership group.

As I said in the other thread, Bonts can sign a 7 year extension today please.

comrade
10-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Would've liked to have seen Macrae in the leadership group.

As I said in the other thread, Bonts can sign a 7 year extension today please.

I reckon he'll re-sign in the lead up to Round 1.

GVGjr
10-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Wood stepped in when required and did a very good job but the appointment of Bontempelli is an excellent one for the club.
He has the profile and media presence that we need and for 2020 he will still have the likes of Wood and Trengove as additional support

Many thanks Easton, over to Bontempelli now for 2020

Scraggers
10-12-2019, 01:03 PM
I think its great timing as we build towards our next shot at the Premiership, this gives us more impetus moving ahead. as much as I loved Easton, Marcus has a better public image.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Bontempelli, Age 24.

127 Games, 115 Goals
AFL premiership player: 2016
2× All-Australian team: 2016, 2019
3× Best & Fairest / Charles Sutton Medal: 2016, 2017, 2019 (youngest multiple winner in history)
AFLCA Champion Player of the Year Award: 2019
AFLPA best first year player: 2014
AFLCA best young player of the year: 2015
Chris Grant Best First Year Player: 2014
5× 22under22 team: 2014, 2015, 2016 (c), 2017 (c), 2018 (c)
AFL Rising Star nominee & runner up: 2014
Vice-Captain: 2018
Western Bulldogs Captain. Age 24.

1957 Ted Whitten: Age 24.

115 Games, 68 Goals
VFL Premiership Player: 1957
2 X All Australian Team: 1954, 1957
2 X Best & Fairest: 1954, 1957
Simpson Medal: 1957
National Football Carnival: 1956
Footscray Coach: 1957
Footscray Captain 1957. Age 24

Peter Gordon, can you please tell Dan Andrews to build a bridge in the Western Suburbs. We need one to name it after Bonts. Can you believe he's trending above our best ever player?

Bulldog4life
10-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Bontempelli, Age 24.

AFL premiership player: 2016
AFLCA Champion Player of the Year Award: 2019
2× All-Australian team: 2016, 2019
3× Best & Fairest / Charles Sutton Medal: 2016, 2017, 2019 (youngest multiple winner in history)
AFLPA best first year player: 2014
AFLCA best young player of the year: 2015
Chris Grant Best First Year Player: 2014
5× 22under22 team: 2014, 2015, 2016 (c), 2017 (c), 2018 (c)
AFL Rising Star nominee: 2014
Vice-Captain: 2018
Western Bulldogs Captain. Age 24.

1957 Ted Whitten: Age 24.

VFL Premiership Player: 1957
2 X All Australian Team: 1954, 1957
2 X Best & Fairest: 1954, 1957
Simpson Medal: 1957
National Football Carnival: 1956
Footscray Captain 1957. Age 24

Peter Gordon, can you please tell Dan Andrews to build a bridge in the Western Suburbs. We need one to name it after Bonts. Can you believe he's trending above our best ever player?

As an aside BT Ted was appointed coach at 23 too.

Murphy'sLore
10-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Good call. It's time.

mjp
10-12-2019, 03:55 PM
As an aside BT Ted was appointed coach at 23 too.

LOL. I was smiling at that omission!

divvydan
10-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Every single player bar one voted for Bont to be the new captain. The only one who didn't vote for Bont was Bont himself.

whythelongface
10-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Every single player bar one voted for Bont to be the new captain. The only one who didn't vote for Bont was Bont himself.

Shows the respect of the man within the playing group.

Sad to see Easton step down but a good decision both for the future of the footy club but more importantly in securing Bonts long term signature. Having the responsibility to lead such a young and talented team is something money can't buy. Reckon this decision will see Bont end up being a one club player. Well done to all involved and in particular to Easton for stepping down for the greater good of the club.

bornadog
10-12-2019, 05:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3B-19r7zyw

HOSE B ROMERO
10-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Well played Woody. For a guy who has had more than his share of setbacks and who stood up and inspired when Murph went down, he has done the club proud.

Axe Man
10-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Marcus Bontempelli to captain Western Bulldogs in 2020 (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/marcus-bontempelli-to-captain-western-bulldogs-in-2020/news-story/d561cc9f55626f88ea35e61f1a257769)

Western Bulldogs have a new captain for the 2020 season with star midfielder Marcus Bontempelli to assume the role.

Easton Wood, who led the Dogs to their drought-breaking premiership in 2016, has stepped down.

Bontempelli has served as vice-captain to Wood for the last two years but will step up to lead the club as it looks to build on what was an impressive finish to 2019.

The 24-year-old was voted in by his teammates following a player vote on Tuesday morning.

Wood, who announced his decision to step down to his teammates on Monday, will remain as part of the club’s leadership group, while Lachie Hunter has been named vice-captain.

The trio will form part of a six-man leadership group that will also include Jason Johannisen, Mitch Wallis and Josh Dunkley.

The only player on the Bulldogs list to not vote for Bontempelli was himself, instead voting for Hunter.

“That just speaks to how I view myself but also I wouldn’t put myself before the team in any way. It’s something that I probably never would do,” Bontempelli said.

“To know that he (Hunter) is sitting here next to me is a great feeling too because that’s how I viewed him as a footballerand a person. I know that we’ll be able to work really closely and well together.”

Tuesday’s announcement came just 16 days after Bontempelli celebrated his 24th birthday, but the three-time club best-and-fairest winner is as ready as ever for the role.

“Hopefully (I can be) someone who leads the team the way they need to be lead, a caring and empathetic one but someone who can hopefully influence the game and others in a positive way,” Bontempelli said.

“Ultimately we talk a lot about legacy as football players and wanting to leave the jumper and the football club in a better place. That’s what I want to do. If I help one player on the list become a better player or person then hopefully I’ve done a good job.”

Bontempelli said that like Wood in 2016, he hoped to one day raise a premiership cup above his head as captain.

“That’s the dream at the end of the day,” Bontempelli said.

“We know how hard it is to win and we know how hard it is to follow-up but I think we’re all excited about the journey the football club’s hopefully going to go on next season.”

Wood spent the off-season considering his position and felt it was the right time to hand over the captaincy while he can still play a role in mentoring Bontempelli and the young group.

The 30-year-old first captained the Bulldogs in 2016 after then-skipper Bob Murphy tore his anterior cruciate ligament.

“Obviously it’s been a difficult decision to come to but I feel that now is the right time for both myself and for you boys and for the group,” Wood said in an address to his teammates posted on the club’s website.

“The young leaders we’ve got currently in the leadership group and even coming in behind that, it’s a special young group, their hungry and one of the particular characteristics is that there’s no egos amongst our group, which is really quite special.

“I’m excited about taking the next step in my own journey by helping our young leaders through their experience and watching them grow.

“It goes without saying that captaining this group and this club has been the single biggest privilege of my career and I think only as time goes on, it will only be something I’m more and more proud of and as time goes it will only be something I’m more and more proud of and look back even more fondly.”

Beveridge paid tribute to Wood and his contribution as captain.

“On behalf of everyone associated with our club, I want to thank and congratulate Easton for his outstanding contribution as our captain during a period of success and significant change,” Beveridge said.

“The hallmark of great leaders is consistency of temperament, care for others and work ethic regardless of the circumstances.

“Easton has most definitely been dependable in displaying these traits and has forged a reputation as a beacon of strength and resilience within our club.”

Insufficient Intent
10-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Peter Gordon, can you please tell Dan Andrews to build a bridge in the Western Suburbs. We need one to name it after Bonts.

Agreed BT, "Bonts Bridge" has a ring to it. Well deserved recognition!
Sounds even better in French, as "Pont de Bonts" :D:D

strebla
10-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Just so proud of Easton giving up such a cherished role would not have been easy. Our club is truely in the best shape ever never ever been prouder of any group. Thanks Easton and go get em Bont up the mighty scraggers!!!!

Dry Rot
11-12-2019, 12:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3B-19r7zyw

FWIW I watch this several times. Macrae doesn't look over the moon.

jeemak
11-12-2019, 02:45 AM
I'm happy with this outcome. Much as I'd have been fine with Easton carrying on I'm happy he made the call and can concentrate on his footy and let Bont be the conqueror of all things Western Bulldogs and the AFL going forward.

jeemak
11-12-2019, 02:47 AM

I think he's just one of those guys that has RBF a lot of the time.

Daughter of the West
11-12-2019, 09:53 AM
I think he's just one of those guys that has RBF a lot of the time.

The best of us are afflicted with that condition ;)

I am conflicted - I personally would have like Bont to have another year without the pressure of being captain first, but if the player group unanimously voted it, who am I to argue?

Twodogs
11-12-2019, 01:30 PM

I think you are right.

What's RBF mean?

Murphy'sLore
11-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Hm, maybe Macrae was the single vote against! Maybe Bonti isn't so modest after all... the plot thickens. :)

Daughter of the West
11-12-2019, 01:50 PM
I think you are right.

What's RBF mean?

Resting B**ch Face

KT31
11-12-2019, 02:48 PM

Knows the result is a foregone conclusion and wants to get out on the track and have a kick already.

bornadog
11-12-2019, 03:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=160PELN1w6M

Dry Rot
11-12-2019, 09:39 PM
FWIW did Wood jump or was he pushed?

GVGjr
11-12-2019, 09:42 PM

There is nothing to suggest he was pushed. I'd say he's wanted to support Bont going forward. He's done the handover in a very classy manner

Happy Days
12-12-2019, 12:39 AM

If he was pushed then he sure knows how to fall. Looks stoked for Marcus in everything I've seen.

Dry Rot
12-12-2019, 12:47 AM
I think you are right.

What's RBF mean?

Also check out Duryea in all these videos. Has an unblinking zombie death stare.

strebla
12-12-2019, 11:27 AM
This has been done with class Wood has always been a leader it comes as no surprise that he has put the club ahead of himself.

Mofra
12-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Wood is very much a 'team first' player IMO. He's pick that up from his brother McLeod as well (I won't bore you with how the military train it and drum it into you).

He sacrificed his natural game for large parts of last year. He probably just thought the time was right.

Murphy'sLore
12-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Perfect to have him around the place as a mentor and guide while Bonti is getting a feel for the role. I'm so impressed with the quality of character we seem to have in the playing group at the moment.

Twodogs
12-12-2019, 08:48 PM

Stepped aside for the good of the team. I reckon that it would be important to him and for his own legacy that he passes the captaincy on with the team in a healthy state and ready to grow under a new set of hands. We are remarkably lucky with the quality of leadership in our club.

ratsmac
15-12-2019, 04:22 AM
This feels right. Wood has been a terrific captain if you ask me. He filled in for Bob and then took us through a couple of tricky years when we lost our way and then finding our mojo again.

Bontempelli has looked like the captain in waiting for a few years much like Hodge at Hawthorn was when Mitchell was captain. You can tell that the playing group love and respect Bontempelli. The vote showed that point too. I have no doubt Bont will make a great captain. Let's hope he is our greatest and he brings us some more flags.