PDA

View Full Version : Rance retires to focus on family and faith

Axe Man
19-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Rance retires to focus on family and faith (https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/550354/rance-retires-to-focus-on-family-and-faith)

Champion Richmond defender Alex Rance has announced his retirement from AFL – effective immediately, to focus on his family and faith.

The five-time All Australian has been considering his future in recent months and has decided to retire from playing football to focus on the other important areas of his life, being his family and his religion.

Rance, 30, informed his teammates this morning that he was calling time on his 200-game career.

“I am someone who will always give their best to what they commit to, and I’m proud of the time, energy and dedication that I’ve put towards my football career,” Rance said.

“Right now, I feel I have served my purpose in terms of my on-field performance and cultural impact, and I’m so grateful to the football club for their support and care in allowing me to do that in my own unique way.

“Now I feel is the right time for me to put the same time and energy into other areas of my life that need it, and to prioritise the more important things to me, such as my spiritual growth, my family and friends.”

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale paid tribute to the departing defender.

“Alex, his manager and the Club have been in regular communication about Alex’s future, and while we will miss him dearly at our football club, we understand and respect his need to step away from football to focus on his personal life,” Gale said.

“He leaves this Club a highly-decorated premiership player and it has been a privilege for all us to watch him play. He is clearly one of the greatest players to have pulled on the Richmond jumper.”

“Alex has been the ultimate competitor, an incredible character of the Club, and a fine example of a Richmond Man.

“Although he’s stepping away from playing football, he’ll always be part of Richmond and we wish him and his family all the best for the future.”

The Adelaide Connection
19-12-2019, 10:43 AM
I do admire him for doing what he thought was right, despite the huge amount of pressure (money, public etc) that would no doubt be weighing on him.

This is great for us. We’ve troubled them generally anyway in the last few years, but our new forward line will make it super tough for their Ranceless backline.

Mofra
19-12-2019, 10:45 AM
17 clubs will be happy with this. A brilliant player.

Wonder if Richmond will look to a KPD in the SPP. C'mon down Fletcher Roberts!

Axe Man
19-12-2019, 10:48 AM
The downside of this I suppose is that Richmond will free up a large chunk of salary cap and probably make another huge signing at the end of next season?

Mofra
19-12-2019, 10:51 AM
The downside of this I suppose is that Richmond will free up a large chunk of salary cap and probably make another huge signing at the end of next season?
If it's any consolation, Tom Lynch's deal is heavily back ended.

Axe Man
19-12-2019, 11:01 AM
If it's any consolation, Tom Lynch's deal is heavily back ended.

Rance was contracted until the end of 2021 and I doubt Richmond expected him to play on after that. Perhaps Lynch's deal is structured to increase from 2022 when Rance was due to come off the books?

I assume Alex will be walking away from the money due in the final 2 years of his contract so it gives the Tigers options to restructure other deals like Lynch and bring payments forward.

GVGjr
19-12-2019, 11:56 AM
He's had a terrific career, Good luck to him for the future

bulldogsthru&thru
19-12-2019, 12:40 PM
I do admire him for doing what he thought was right, despite the huge amount of pressure (money, public etc) that would no doubt be weighing on him.

This is great for us. We’ve troubled them generally anyway in the last few years, but our new forward line will make it super tough for their Ranceless backline.

Have they beaten us since we won the flag? If not, they technically haven’t knocked off the defending champs

Twodogs
19-12-2019, 12:58 PM
Have they beaten us since we won the flag? If not, they technically haven’t knocked off the defending champs

Yeah they fell over the line in the last round 2018 I think it was.

The Adelaide Connection
19-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Yeah they fell over the line in the last round 2018 I think it was.

Yep, came over for that one and we had them on the ropes, but couldn't land the final blow. Lynch's 50 odd metre snap hit the post and that was that.

Remi Moses
19-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Tremendous career after initially looking like a panic merchant .
Went from someone who turned the ball over and a poor decision maker into the premier defender
Was a bit Easton wood in spoiling to the detriment of his team also
Great news for us

ledge
20-12-2019, 01:18 PM
I read he retired when he saw Naughtons guns.

AshMac
23-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Has been a superstar but Richmond have shown they’re capable of winning flags without him. Good on him for doing what’s right for him

GVGjr
23-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Has been a superstar but Richmond have shown they’re capable of winning flags without him. Good on him for doing what’s right for him

It's interesting to note that even with the loss of Rance this year I don't know any of their supporters who used his injury as an excuse that they may not win the flag.

Twodogs
23-12-2019, 12:54 PM
It's interesting to note that even with the loss of Rance this year I don't know any of their supporters who used his injury as an excuse that they may not win the flag.

Yeah the excuses came in 2018. They thought all they had to do was turn up toward the end of 2018 and the flag was theirs.

At Dimmer's press conference after they fell over the line against us in the last round 2018 I've never seen a bigger disconnect between what someone was saying and what actually happened out on the ground. Dimmer virtually said "oh well, we didn't turn up today but that's OK we can flirt with our form" and I remember thinking "I bet that you can't flirt with your form"

bornadog
23-12-2019, 01:09 PM

In the first half of the year Richmond supporters did whinge about the injuries and make excuses when they were losing. When I checked the players who played in that game we beat them in, only Riewoldt and one other player didn't play that day who was considered best 22.

Twodogs
23-12-2019, 01:15 PM
In the first half of the year Richmond supporters did whinge about the injuries and make excuses when they were losing. When I checked the players who played in that game we beat them in, only Riewoldt and one other player didn't play that day who was considered best 22.

We were missing a few too that day.

Mofra
23-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Astbury was missing, was huge in the context of Naughton deciding to go berserk.
Any defender would have struggled on Naughts that day though.

GVGjr
23-12-2019, 04:25 PM

It's a weak excuse though isn't it?

I hope we don't try and use that next season. With good list management injuries should be covered

bornadog
23-12-2019, 06:51 PM

I hope we don't try and use that next season. With good list management injuries should be covered

If you have 10 plus players out with Injury I think there is some excuse, however, that wasn't the case with Richmond. You always need your best on the park.

Remi Moses
23-12-2019, 08:58 PM

Disagree , it depends on who is injured
Key players are irreplaceable.

GVGjr
23-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Disagree , it depends on who is injured
Key players are irreplaceable.

West Coast won a flag with limited input from Nic Nat from round 17 in 2018, Richmond without Rance in 2019, Bulldogs without Murphy in 2016 and GWS gave it an almighty shake this year with a number of injuries to key players
I get what you are saying but if your list is balanced you can cover injuries to key players. Other players need to step forward

Unless there are a number of injuries to key players I still don't think it's a great excuse

Remi Moses
25-12-2019, 09:19 PM
You can look to the past to find key players out being costly
Essendon have Hird and a few others I think they win the 99 flag ahead of north
I know that’s going back in time but key players out has cost clubs

chef
28-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Those Rance rumours getting around arent great.

Twodogs
28-12-2019, 08:28 PM
Those Rance rumours getting around arent great.

It's pretty typical of what happens "inside the four walls" of football clubs but you're right it aint a good look.

We have never been immune to it-rumors are that it cost us the only brownlow medalist/premiership player in our history. Peter Box walked out on the club for a reason.

chef
28-12-2019, 08:55 PM
It's pretty typical of what happens "inside the four walls" of football clubs but you're right it aint a good look.

We have never been immune to it-rumors are that it cost us the only brownlow medalist/premiership player in our history. Peter Box walked out on the club for a reason.

West/Cox too.

Twodogs
28-12-2019, 10:48 PM
West/Cox too.

Yup.

ledge
29-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Not sure I would believe the rumours he was going to retire a couple of years ago to concentrate on his religion.
Left his wife though this time, makes for good rumours.

Testekill
29-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Not sure I would believe the rumours he was going to retire a couple of years ago to concentrate on his religion.
Left his wife though this time, makes for good rumours.

The thing about Jehovah's Witnesses is that divorce is a big deal for them and is really only allowed in extreme circumstances like infidelity or violence. The fact that he got divorced after retiring at the start of the preseason seems like a pretty big detail.

Twodogs
29-12-2019, 02:12 PM
The thing about Jehovah's Witnesses is that divorce is a big deal for them and is really only allowed in extreme circumstances like infidelity or violence. The fact that he got divorced after retiring at the start of the preseason seems like a pretty big detail.

JVs also have a practice where they believe there are also three other grounds for divorce or separation-but they come with a (financial) price. They are willful (financial) nonsupport, extreme physical abuse, and absolute endangerment of spiritual life (in other words, apostasy of the unbelieving spouse.)

I see where Alex has set up a school that focuses on sport rather than "reading Shakespeare"

Alex, they make you read Shakespeare at school for very good reasons. 1/ the man's a genius 2/ his plays can be adapted to learn lessons in life and 3/ try and find a bigger psycho or a more meaningful tale than Richard III-Shakespeare invented THE most evil character of all time he glories in his evilness

ledge
30-12-2019, 02:20 PM
JVs also have a practice where they believe there are also three other grounds for divorce or separation-but they come with a (financial) price. They are willful (financial) nonsupport, extreme physical abuse, and absolute endangerment of spiritual life (in other words, apostasy of the unbelieving spouse.)

I see where Alex has set up a school that focuses on sport rather than "reading Shakespeare"

Alex, they make you read Shakespeare at school for very good reasons. 1/ the man's a genius 2/ his plays can be adapted to learn lessons in life and 3/ try and find a bigger psycho or a more meaningful tale than Richard III-Shakespeare invented THE most evil character of all time he glories in his evilness

To be honest I always thought Alex was a little different, I wonder if his father and rest of the family are JWs

ledge
30-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Oh and I think I saw an article from Jacks g/f or wife about being all rubbish.

Twodogs
30-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Oh and I think I saw an article from Jacks g/f or wife about being all rubbish.

Yeah, well she would say that would't she? I'd be pretty surprised if she came out and said "Oh yeah, it's all true"

Twodogs
30-12-2019, 03:52 PM
To be honest I always thought Alex was a little different, I wonder if his father and rest of the family are JWs

Murray converted because his fiancee was a JW.

I wouldn't convert to JWism just to marry. You have to have some pride in your background.

ledge
31-12-2019, 11:25 AM
So the article said he retired for faith and family, it’s right but not for the reasons we thought.
Seems it’s to leave the faith and the family not promote it.
I guess the truth will come out if jack and his gf split.

merantau
06-01-2020, 11:01 PM
Has anyone else heard that Alex Rance was told to resign?

ledge
07-01-2020, 11:34 AM

I think a post earlier on mentions it.
If not I did read somewhere about it a while ago.

mjp
07-01-2020, 02:02 PM

That's the all pervasive rumour...'something' happened and Hardwick told him to leave.

The truth - or a version of it that everyone involved can live with - will eventually come out I guess. Until then, he has retired to concentrate on family and faith and everything else falls into the category of 'stamp collecting' (aka stuff that simply doesn't matter).

Despite some of the comments on this thread and his struggles in 1-v-1 contests when matched against 'big' forwards he has been one hell of a good player - particularly when you consider his early career struggles - and was a key 'plank' of the 2017 premiership team.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-01-2020, 04:25 PM
That's the all pervasive rumour...'something' happened and Hardwick told him to leave.

The truth - or a version of it that everyone involved can live with - will eventually come out I guess. Until then, he has retired to concentrate on family and faith and everything else falls into the category of 'stamp collecting' (aka stuff that simply doesn't matter).

Despite some of the comments on this thread and his struggles in 1-v-1 contests when matched against 'big' forwards he has been one hell of a good player - particularly when you consider his early career struggles - and was a key 'plank' of the 2017 premiership team.

Agree with this mjp.

Been a lot of conjecture about his playing style and many saying he was overrated, but having watched him live a fair few times, his ability to read the play and impact the game was huge. Rance was a superstar on field.

divvydan
07-01-2020, 07:19 PM
I reckon a lot of the overrated stuff comes from the years of having to listen to the CH7 commentary team and the way they go on and on about certain players regardless of what's happening in the match they're commentating on, or in other games that season. It became so fanatical that as soon as you realised how over the top they were with certain players (Stringer when he played for us for example), the reaction was then to go too far to the other extreme and hence arrive at the conclusion that they must be overrated.

GVGjr
07-01-2020, 07:50 PM

I could argue the point if someone was to call him a superstar but I don't think there is much doubt that he was a very good player for many years.
Had he played in the red, white and blue I think many more on here would have regarded him as a superstar.

To me Rance was a very good player with some limitations

bornadog
08-01-2020, 12:02 AM
To me Rance was a very good player with some limitations

That is how I see him as well, but the way the media carry on, he is the greatest fullback ever

GVGjr
08-01-2020, 02:15 AM
That is how I see him as well, but the way the media carry on, he is the greatest fullback ever

I thought you didn't rate him?

bornadog
08-01-2020, 10:15 AM
I thought you didn't rate him?

I don't rate him as a super star, he is a good footballer, no doubt.

Twodogs
08-01-2020, 01:10 PM
I don't rate him as a super star, he is a good footballer, no doubt.

Yeah, he's (to quote Jack Dyer) a 'good ordinary champion" He's a good player but he's not the big superstar he's constantly being pumped up in the media as being.

ledge
08-01-2020, 05:56 PM
He mastered the role he was given and became the best at that role in the AFL .
His coach found what his strong points were and used them, his weaknesses were covered by the team recognising them and helping him in those areas.
He was a very good reliable player who all teams would have wanted but you had to play the right game style to bring the best out of him.
Kudos to Hardwick a great coach who can adjust his game style to the list he has.
Beveridge is much the same where I see Clarkson as a coach who buys players to suit his game style.

AshMac
14-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Beveridge is much the same where I see Clarkson as a coach who buys players to suit his game style.

Has there ever been a coach win a premiership in their second (or first) year of senior coaching?

Think Chris Scott did, but that doesn’t count.

Axe Man
14-01-2020, 06:13 PM
Has there ever been a coach win a premiership in their second (or first) year of senior coaching?

Alan Joyce, but if Chris Scott doesn't count Joyce would count even less.

Twodogs
14-01-2020, 07:09 PM

Charlie Clymo won the premiership with Geelong in his one and only year coaching.

Axe Man
17-01-2020, 02:47 PM
Damien Hardwick slams online trolls over Alex Rance retirement rumours (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/damien-hardwick-slams-online-trolls-over-alex-rance-rumours/news-story/80a2e1ece1c6ce9a50ae58adafa13b4f)

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has slammed “weak” keyboard warriors for smearing Alex Rance following his sudden AFL retirement.

Speaking for the first time about Rance’s departure, Hardwick said there was “nothing sinister” in the premiership defender’s decision to walk away the game last month with two years still to run on his contract.

“That’s what people do, I think they sit there and they hide behind keyboards and it’s weak. It’s incredibly weak and it’s incredibly disappointing from my point of view,” Hardwick said.

“There’s no truth to it, there’s nothing to it. This man is a man who’s been devoted to his family and his faith for a long period of time and there’s nothing more sinister than that.”

Hardwick said the door was open for Rance to return but wants what’s best for him, sharing the sentiments of premiership defender Bachar Houli who on Thursday said he ”prayed” his former teammate will return to footy.

Rance remains on Richmond’s list but Hardwick isn’t planning on him pulling on the yellow and black jumper this year.

“At this stage he’s retired in our plans, but plans can change,” Hardwick said.

“My more important thing is to make sure Alex is happy in his journey in life.

“Alex’s always been an incredible player for us, but his family and his faith have always been at the forefront of his mind. Whatever makes Alex happy, makes us happy.

“Is the door ajar? Probably it is but the ball is in Alex’s court from that point of view.”

Hardwick said his players preferred to acknowledge Rance’s achievements in private as he addressed the lack of social media tributes from them after the five-time All-Australian announced his retirement.

“I know we probably copped a little bit of flak with regard to that but it’s not how our club operates. We tend to leave the phones at home and the phones where they are,” he said.

“The more and more we hug, we love – all that sort of stuff is very much a part of us.

“(Rance) knows exactly how we feel about him, how important he is to the fabric of our organisation. So he’ll be heavily missed, not only as a football player, but as a person.”

Hardwick said he wasn’t caught off-guard by Rance’s early retirement despite most being shocked by the decision.

“We probably thought it may come to this at some stage – and it has,” Hardwick said.

“We would’ve liked to have got a couple of years out of him, but once again Alex’s happiness is at forefront of our mind.”

josie
17-01-2020, 07:09 PM
Good on you Dimma. Like the guy. I think he and Bevo have a lot in common-high EQ and truly care for their club and players taking a holistic view.

Twodogs
17-01-2020, 07:59 PM
Good on you Dimma. Like the guy. I think he and Bevo have a lot in common-high EQ and truly care for their club and players taking a holistic view.

I'm not a fan. To be honest I think he tends towards talking a lot of bollocks.

But then he's the Richmond coach so it would be a bigger surprise if I had a good word to say about him.

bornadog
17-01-2020, 10:14 PM

They are good mates as well

strebla
18-01-2020, 04:10 AM
Damien Hardwick slams online trolls over Alex Rance retirement rumours (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/damien-hardwick-slams-online-trolls-over-alex-rance-rumours/news-story/80a2e1ece1c6ce9a50ae58adafa13b4f)

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has slammed “weak” keyboard warriors for smearing Alex Rance following his sudden AFL retirement.

Speaking for the first time about Rance’s departure, Hardwick said there was “nothing sinister” in the premiership defender’s decision to walk away the game last month with two years still to run on his contract.

“That’s what people do, I think they sit there and they hide behind keyboards and it’s weak. It’s incredibly weak and it’s incredibly disappointing from my point of view,” Hardwick said.

“There’s no truth to it, there’s nothing to it. This man is a man who’s been devoted to his family and his faith for a long period of time and there’s nothing more sinister than that.”

Hardwick said the door was open for Rance to return but wants what’s best for him, sharing the sentiments of premiership defender Bachar Houli who on Thursday said he ”prayed” his former teammate will return to footy.

Rance remains on Richmond’s list but Hardwick isn’t planning on him pulling on the yellow and black jumper this year.

“At this stage he’s retired in our plans, but plans can change,” Hardwick said.

“My more important thing is to make sure Alex is happy in his journey in life.

“Alex’s always been an incredible player for us, but his family and his faith have always been at the forefront of his mind. Whatever makes Alex happy, makes us happy.

“Is the door ajar? Probably it is but the ball is in Alex’s court from that point of view.”

Hardwick said his players preferred to acknowledge Rance’s achievements in private as he addressed the lack of social media tributes from them after the five-time All-Australian announced his retirement.

“I know we probably copped a little bit of flak with regard to that but it’s not how our club operates. We tend to leave the phones at home and the phones where they are,” he said.

“The more and more we hug, we love – all that sort of stuff is very much a part of us.

“(Rance) knows exactly how we feel about him, how important he is to the fabric of our organisation. So he’ll be heavily missed, not only as a football player, but as a person.”

Hardwick said he wasn’t caught off-guard by Rance’s early retirement despite most being shocked by the decision.

“We probably thought it may come to this at some stage – and it has,” Hardwick said.

“We would’ve liked to have got a couple of years out of him, but once again Alex’s happiness is at forefront of our mind.”
And what else did we really expect not my club so I really don't care. Defen. Him hate him whatever his dad never played enough games

Twodogs
19-01-2020, 12:49 PM
And what else did we really expect not my club so I really don't care. Defen. Him hate him whatever his dad never played enough games

Even if Murray had played enough games then I still wouldn't want Alex at our club. For one thing where would we have played Brian Lake? Lake found his feet at fullback so do we move him away from there to accommodate a one position player? That's a good way to *!*!*!*! up two players just to find a possie for one.

ledge
25-01-2020, 11:22 AM
Even if Murray had played enough games then I still wouldn't want Alex at our club. For one thing where would we have played Brian Lake? Lake found his feet at fullback so do we move him away from there to accommodate a one position player? That's a good way to *!*!*!*! up two players just to find a possie for one.

And his first few years he was terrible, shocking kick , he just stuffed up everything.
I Thought he was lucky to get another contract at one stage.

Twodogs
02-03-2020, 07:50 PM
For *!*!*!*!s sake can this bloke make it all about himself any more? Now he's talking about a comeback:

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/alex-rance-opens-door-to-afl-comeback-with-richmond-after-shock-retirement-c-724984

He's a deadset cancer on a playing group. I am so glad that he didn't qualify as a father son with us and end up at the bulldogs. Luckily Murray has the same moral standards as his son and shot through from Footscray before he played 100 games.

Happy Days
02-03-2020, 09:19 PM
This is all so weird.

GVGjr
02-03-2020, 09:44 PM
For *!*!*!*!s sake can this bloke make it all about himself any more? Now he's talking about a comeback:

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/alex-rance-opens-door-to-afl-comeback-with-richmond-after-shock-retirement-c-724984

He's a deadset cancer on a playing group. I am so glad that he didn't qualify as a father son with us and end up at the bulldogs. Luckily Murray has the same moral standards as his son and shot through from Footscray before he played 100 games.

I don't get your angst with this, he has stated he is happy with things as they are now but won't rule out a possible return to Richmond
Of course he should make a decision and stick with it but all he is doing is keeping his options open given his contract.

Rocket Science
02-03-2020, 10:45 PM

Rance the Elder was responsible for my first football heartbreak after he visited our primary school for a clinic along with Supa MacPherson the week prior to us representing the Dogs in the Big M Little League and I decided there and then he was the best player - and bloke - of all time ... until the prick jilted us. Why Murray? I couldn't understand.

It promptly cemented my love for Supa though, especially when he took it upon himself to be the bad cop on the beat.

Anyway yes, Rance the Younger is an insufferable twat.

Twodogs
03-03-2020, 01:14 PM
I don't get your angst with this, he has stated he is happy with things as they are now but won't rule out a possible return to Richmond
Of course he should make a decision and stick with it but all he is doing is keeping his options open given his contract.

The problem is you are either in or you are out. There is no place for a player (especially a senior player) making a halfarsed commitment to the other blokes on the list. They do the work and they expect you to buy in just as much as them.

If I'm a Richmond player and one of my teammates was humming and harring about whether he was in or out then I'd be taking him out the back for a lesson in commitment in the "Brad and Chris Scott in the car park" style. I think the Scotts are two of the biggest dickheads to play the game but they played in 6 premierships between them for a reason.

jeemak
03-03-2020, 01:44 PM
The Scott brothers played in four premierships.

:)

Did you hear the interviews TD? I heard the one on 774 yesterday afternoon and I"m not sure what's been written is actually reflective of the flavour of the interview's message...…...

Mofra
03-03-2020, 02:45 PM
I don't get the hate - he's a bloody good player and if we're aiming to go far this year, a good defender missing from an opposition team helps our cause.

Go_Dogs
03-03-2020, 08:22 PM
I don't get the hate - he's a bloody good player and if we're aiming to go far this year, a good defender missing from an opposition team helps our cause.

Long may he be a distraction!

Happy Days
03-03-2020, 08:47 PM

There's no hate but an all-world level player retiring on the eve of the season despite having done a large amount of pre-season and then spending all subsequent time loudly and publicly contemplating a comeback before the season he just retired before starts? That's undeniably weird as hell.

Mofra
04-03-2020, 11:27 AM
There's no hate but an all-world level player retiring on the eve of the season despite having done a large amount of pre-season and then spending all subsequent time loudly and publicly contemplating a comeback before the season he just retired before starts? That's undeniably weird as hell.
Yes totally out of the ordinary, but I don't hate him for it.

Twodogs
04-03-2020, 01:08 PM
Yes totally out of the ordinary, but I don't hate him for it.

I hated him long before this. This is gravy.

I'll bet that if you asked any of the other players on the list in a private setting with no media around what their opinion right here and now was about Alex Rance the answer would overwhelmingly be close to what I am saying. If he were my teammate I'd be annoyed that

A/ he's causing a distraction on the eve of the season
b/ he's done a fraction of the pre-season load and now he's talking about a comeback-I'd be saying "Now you are bludging on the rest of us-we've done all the sessions and completed our programs. What have you been doing? Was it designing sunglasses or something?"
c/ he's neither in nor out at the moment. When do they rely on having him available? Round 1? Halfway through the season? Or does he get to pick and choose when he plays?

The only way I'd have him back is if he fronts the playing group and answers any questions they have no matter how difficult they may be. Then the players decide if they want him alongside them.

westdog54
04-03-2020, 01:54 PM
I hated him long before this. This is gravy.

I'll bet that if you asked any of the other players on the list in a private setting with no media around what their opinion right here and now was about Alex Rance the answer would overwhelmingly be close to what I am saying. If he were my teammate I'd be annoyed that

A/ he's causing a distraction on the eve of the season
b/ he's done a fraction of the pre-season load and now he's talking about a comeback-I'd be saying "Now you are bludging on the rest of us-we've done all the sessions and completed our programs. What have you been doing? Was it designing sunglasses or something?"
c/ he's neither in nor out at the moment. Do they rely on having him when do they rely on having him available? Round 1? Halfway through the season? Does he get to pick and choose when he plays?

The only way I'd have him back is if he fronts the playing group and answers any questions they have no matter how difficult they may be. Then the players decide if they want him alongside them.

This is the one that would really stick in my craw.

If he cared in even the slightest degree about the club, or the game, for that matter, now is the time to say "No comment, come talk to me in May once the season is well and truly running".

If you've stepped away, you've stepped away. Sit back and let those still putting in the work be the focus.