PDA

View Full Version : Familar Signs of 2007

LostDog
22-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Just watching tonights game vs Essendon,
Besides the Umpires screwing us again, cant say that i'm real impressed easy mistakes

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Just watching tonights game vs Essendon,
Besides the Umpires screwing us again, cant say that i'm real impressed easy mistakes

Yes, agree. I'm prepared to cut SOME slack given it is the NAB Cup and we're not a full strength squad.
However if we serve this up during the regular season.. we can expect a similar outcome to last season.
Getting killed on the rebound and turning over the ball to easily.
Sloppy in the midfield.
No cohesion up forward.
Skill level down, especially kicking for goal.
Really missing the Stewardship of Gilbee along the backline and the run of Griffen.

LostDog
22-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Considering our membership is down we need to have a positive NAB Cup,
I dont mean to sound negative but we are looking horrible NAB Cup or not.

Eagleton is the new Matthew Robbins will see very little senior football this year cant believe how soft he is.

Agreed with Gilbee amd Griffen

LostDoggy
22-02-2008, 10:44 PM
The familar sign is the umpires screwing us. They decide who wins and who loses.

I'm perplexed by so many decisions tonight. Some of them include:
2 deliberate out of bounds against, some non mark to our forwards and number of soft free in the Essendon 50. The non rushed against us.

Its made worse by having to listen to dumb and dumber in Nathan Buckley and Daviud Schwartz.

It really is the Stupid cup.

Rocket Science
22-02-2008, 10:50 PM
2007?...and '06 to a lesser extent, and '05, and '04.

Can't keep the footy (sub par skills, decision making), and can't get it back when we turn it over (invisible pressure skills)...same blokes making the same errors...it feels familiar for a reason...brainless footy of this order makes for a bloody long night, and a bloody long year.

And in advance to the apologists, tonight's outs wouldn't make a speck of difference...this malaise is en masse.

LostDoggy
22-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Another decision was the Murphy mark and non 50 when punched in the back of the head.

Eagleton and Wight are being given a bath.
We look slow but when you aren't allowed to be first to the ball by one sided umpiring, its no wonder.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-02-2008, 10:57 PM
The familar sign is the umpires screwing us. They decide who wins and who loses.

I'm perplexed by so many decisions tonight. Some of them include:
2 deliberate out of bounds against, some non mark to our forwards and number of soft free in the Essendon 50. The non rushed against us.

Its made worse by having to listen to dumb and dumber in Nathan Buckley and Daviud Schwartz.

It really is the Stupid cup.

Agree the Bombers got some gifts.....but we were ordinary, and right from the get go Bombers looked sharp.
I think Eade has got it wrong with Minson up forward, and with McDougall down back.
I would rather see McDougall up forward, and Minson as the 2nd ruck.
I also think Wight is a better option at Centre Half Back than up forward also.

The thing I'm most concerned about is the same glaring problems of last year appear to still be evident. No drive from the midfield, and no alternative route to goal other than Johnno.
Next month needs to see us iron this out, otherwise it is going to be another ordinary season.

Rocket Science
22-02-2008, 10:59 PM
the umpiring's crook but surely the least of our problems, and hardly the reason we're second to the footy.

LostDoggy
22-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Minson was doing ok, the ball isn't getting there. He is slow but out numbered.
McDougall and Wight aren't good enough anywhere.

You are discounted the umpiring influence when the heat was on in this game.

LostDog
22-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I am really worried as a rare dogs supporter in Tasmania, everybody knows i go for the dogs I wear Dogs clothing everywhere.

I wont be travelling interstate much this year to watch them if they continue with this rubbish,
our indigenous boys are no where near the calibre of any other clubs.
I get very emotional with the boys I am starting to think I should go back to reading the paper the next day instead of watching live games.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-02-2008, 11:07 PM
2007?...and '06 to a lesser extent, and '05, and '04.

Can't keep the footy (sub par skills, decision making), and can't get it back when we turn it over (invisible pressure skills)...same blokes making the same errors...it feels familiar for a reason...brainless footy of this order makes for a bloody long night, and a bloody long year.

And in advance to the apologists, tonight's outs wouldn't make a speck of difference...this malaise is en masse.

Agree wholeheartedly.
The only positives I could see was Hill increasingly showing his skills.. however until he adds some muscle to the frame he's going to be a liability when he doesn't have the ball.
Higgins also looked smart at times.
But other than that not alot to be encouraged by.
Minson up forward- failed tonight
Wight at CHf- failed tonight
McDougall at CHB- failed tonight
Tiller in defense....jury out but he looks a tad slow for mine.
The Defensive pressure evident in Darwin....looks like it didn't make the plane back to Melbourne...

LostDoggy
22-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Mcdougall should have been delisted. Lucas is faster than him.

LostDog
22-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Tom Davidson can run faster than Mcdougall

LostDog
22-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Perhaps we should shy away from the media for a awhile and concentrate on football

MrMahatma
22-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Perhaps we should shy away from the media for a awhile and concentrate on football
But then we wouldn't know that the team has bulked up massively, and wouldn't run out of steam...

seriously, the spin that comes out of our media dept is as bad as Wallace.

LostDoggy
22-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Spin or no spin.
This is the BS Cup and with umpiring like that in the first half we had no chance.

Let Essendon think they are great while we concentrate on the real stuff.

LostDoggy
22-02-2008, 11:37 PM
How was the free in the last quarter to Davies in F50. For a bump in the side.
Ump heard saying "not quite sure who it was but clear bump in the head"

GVGjr
23-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Considering our membership is down we need to have a positive NAB Cup,
I dont mean to sound negative but we are looking horrible NAB Cup or not.

It's not a negative comment because it is accurate. We were a long way off the mark tonight.

Eagleton is the new Matthew Robbins will see very little senior football this year cant believe how soft he is.

I don't agree with this. Eagle is a target for whatever reason but he isn't soft. He did a couple of nice things tonight defensively and I can't agree that he is soft.

LostDog
23-02-2008, 12:06 AM
How was the free in the last quarter to Davies in F50. For a bump in the side.
Ump heard saying "not quite sure who it was but clear bump in the head"

agreed ern,

not one mention of 1 sided umpiring.

Its not football anymore I couldnt believe they pinged westy with holding the ball when it was pushed out near his feet and the essendon bloke hid it.

no one can say anything towards the umpires, I am seriously fearing the quote
West Sydney Bulldogs (AFL set up)

LostDog
23-02-2008, 12:08 AM
It's not a negative comment because it is accurate. We were a long way off the mark tonight.

I don't agree with this. Eagle is a target for whatever reason but he isn't soft. He did a couple of nice things tonight defensively and I can't agree that he is soft.

There was one instance where Eagle sat and watched while Boydy dove in, yeah maybe harsh on Eags but I fear his time has come '06 was his year down hill since

G-Mo77
23-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Yeah it didn't look to good but hey it's preseason.

What is great about this is that now the Bulldogs play in Bendigo against Melbourne so I'll be there to see it. Do members get free entry to pre-season games? I don't want to give Bendigo or the Bendigo Bombers one cent of mine! I'd rather burn it!

I'll also enjoy hearing all the idiot Essendon supporters carry one how wonderful they are and see them get whacked come regular season. They'll be trying desperatly to win this just to show what a great choice they made in Matty Knights. :D

The thing I'm most concerned about is the same glaring problems of last year appear to still be evident. No drive from the midfield, and no alternative route to goal other than Johnno.
Next month needs to see us iron this out, otherwise it is going to be another ordinary season.

100% agree on that, we seemed to be smashed in the centre again, bombed high to Johnson, looked indecisive when carrying the ball. There were some moments here and there mainly in the second quarter when all seemed to be starting to click but couldn't hit a target or kick a goal in the forward line as mentioned far to Johnson focussed. But again I'll say it, this is only preseason. Carlton has won 2 of these and look how good that went for them. There is plenty of time to look at this and move forward.

G-Mo77
23-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Considering our membership is down we need to have a positive NAB Cup

I think that every year, I can't remember the last time we have made it past the 2nd round? It would be perfect to raise the membership numbers but it really doesn't mean a lot.

Win the first 2 - 3 games in the regular season and the people holding out will buy a membership.

hargs37
23-02-2008, 12:21 AM
That was disgraceful.What has happened to the team of 06. The game plan, the run on the risk taking. It isn't the coach. He's ther one that implemented that style. Why aren't these blokes having a dip. Running in circles, sloppy kicking, this is a worrying trend. Where the hell was scott welsh. I think he got maybe 5 mins. Why bring Oshea on when the games done. Dougs was getting slaughtered, give thew young bloke a crack. Thought Aker showed a glimpse, with his run, kicking let him down. The forwards need to realise that when youve got King Kong in the square, put the ball up, and dont try and take a hanger when he's going for it. Liked what I saw of Hill, and Higgins had a good second half. west couldn't play worse, I dont think, Hudson probably needs some time to fit in. Streety was okay, just dont hit the ball towards tyhe opposition goal when you get a clear tap.
As for the umpiring, if that little weasel Ray Chamberlin, isn't trying to have an impact on the game, and make himself a personality then Darren Goldspink was a genius! He's a cheat, and I reckon the league were happy to see the dons through so they will get bums on seats next week! I'm really dissapointed with the way thingsa went tonight, and I havent said this ever, but if things don't cahnge, buying a membership mightn't be a option this year. Moneys tight and the thought of sitting through that for the next 26 odd weeks isn't that enticing. Hope Rocket, or somone from the footy department reads this.

GVGjr
23-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Yeah it didn't look to good but hey it's preseason.

What is great about this is that now the Bulldogs play in Bendigo against Melbourne so I'll be there to see it. Do members get free entry to pre-season games? I don't want to give Bendigo or the Bendigo Bombers one cent of mine! I'd rather burn it!

I'll probably make the trip. I used to live in Bendigo. I think you have to pay to get in.

bornadog
23-02-2008, 12:30 AM
We see this every year, we never get past the second round of the preseason comp. To me it was a practise match and we didn't have our best team out there. A couple of postives in the seond half but don't judge us based on practise matches.

hujsh
23-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Did Welsh really play? I saw him once.

Street looked a bit better and i liked Higgins but few positives. Callan and McDougal were disappointing.

Barely saw O'Shea

Hahn showed some strength.

Few dangerous forwards after Johnson.

Wight disappointing.

Let McDougal play the pre-season forward. We got him to be a forward and his handpass to the don in the goalsquare made me cringe.

Acker got some ball and apparently he has been using it well pre-season so i hope today was a one off.

Everitt lost the ability to never make mistakes with the dreadlocks.

Will be better with Griff, Gilbee and Ray and maybe Williams and Gia.

All in all i hope Darwin had some effect on this team:(

GVGjr
23-02-2008, 12:34 AM
We see this every year, we never get past the second round of the preseason comp. To me it was a practise match and we didn't have our best team out there. A couple of postives in the seond half but don't judge us based on practise matches.

BAD, you have lowered the bar too much to excuse our disappointing loss. The Bombers had a lot out as well plus played some rookies which we didn't. They looked sharper and played smarter regardless if the game is full scale or not.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Spin or no spin.
This is the BS Cup and with umpiring like that in the first half we had no chance.

Let Essendon think they are great while we concentrate on the real stuff.

Umpiring was poor, but we were worse. No intensity, no team work, no skill - nothing. Bad calls can be made all night but when you can't hit a player standing next to you with a handball, or deliver simple 20m-30m passes then you're not going to get close to winning a game of football.

Spirtless performance; no game plan, no forward structure. We've got a long way to go before Round 1. Last week the excuse was terrible conditions; what's it this week? Fatigue? From the opening bounce - I don't think so. Umpiring? Nope, wouldn't of mattered.

Callan won't get a game, or we're in real trouble. He loses flight of the ball in the air, he pushes back too hard on his opponents thus almost giving a free kick away every time and is clumbsy in his attack on the ball/player. Decision making is average too, firing out handballs to nobody.

Tiller has only played a few games and whilst I don't want to be too critical, he was ordinary. Bad skills, slow at times & didn't look like he knew what to do. He's only young but again, I can't honestly see him playing too much this year. He's a fair way off IMHO.

Addison needs to play at Williamstown until he develops a sense of awareness for where the ball is, where it's going and who's around him. He loses sight of the ball regularly and has no awareness for who's around him, therefore finding himself under pressure a hell of a lot. Attack on the footy/player is great, skills not too bad, but his decision making and awareness really need to improve before he can be considered.

McDougall probably won't be on our list next year. He was led to the ball every time - he just doesn't have footy smarts. Made a couple of dashes, but his skills are average and his decision making pretty questionable. He fell to the ground too easily a few times for no reason at all. Not too sure what can be done, but in reality I don't think Doogs can emerge as a solid player. Only early in '08 and happy to be proved wrong, but doesn't have the key ingredients for mine.

Wight is simply not up to AFL football - he is never going to be a CHF. Sure, he presents. But he's too slow, his skills are poor, he can't hold onto marks and he can be easily brushed aside. Aside from being tall and aggressive Wight doesn't have the ability to play this level. NAB Cup only - yes - but that makes it even worse, especially for players like him who have kids or average players playing on them. He needs to impress; he isn't. Makes far too many mistakes. Lucky to get one or two free kicks.

I don't like to be so negative this early, but I don't think anyone should kid themselves of what was a really poor performance. Lack of accountability and no game plan - we looked exactly as we did in the last seven weeks of last year. Losing, who cares - but show something. Show something that you've improved, something new.

hargs37
23-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Dont think Lucas would have done what he did tonight, if big Tom had have been out there. Also think would have looked better with Gilbee and Griff freeing up Murph and even Hahn to stay higher up the groung. Add Gia and maybe slightly better. cant see Ray making much of a difference tonight. Is it too later for the turtle to come out of retirement to play this year. A cool head would have helped those backs. Also think Lake should change his name back. He was ordinary as well.

G-Mo77
23-02-2008, 12:40 AM
I'll probably make the trip. I used to live in Bendigo. I think you have to pay to get in.

That sucks! I hate having anything to do with the QEO now that the Bendigo Bombers are in town, it makes me sick!

Bulldog Revolution
23-02-2008, 12:47 AM
That sucks! I hate having anything to do with the QEO now that the Bendigo Bombers are in town, it makes me sick!

It will be one of Bendigos biggest $ earners for the year, you will be stung for just as much as you would at Telstra Dome, and in some ways its better to give it to Bendigo than to the incompetent Collo and his cronies

Nice avatar GMo

G-Mo77
23-02-2008, 12:57 AM
It will be one of Bendigos biggest $ earners for the year, you will be stung for just as much as you would at Telstra Dome, and in some ways its better to give it to Bendigo than to the incompetent Collo and his cronies

True, by the looks of it I'll have to pay unless I can find a hole in a fence somewhere. :D

Nice avatar GMo

Thank you, I wish Season 4 would start up again. I'm really missing it!

mike1954
23-02-2008, 01:37 PM
I agree with the umpiring. These little ***** continually stuff up . They should be seen, but not heard!! Couldn't believe Murph didn't get 50 after being punched in the back of the head.
If Eagleton and White continually get games this year, I'm sorry to say but we will lose many a game. The day they Wallace swapped Eagleton for Monty, I cringed! Eags and White are just NOT up to the grade anymore.
I wouldn't give up on McDougal either, he should be given a crack up forward, thats where i believe he plays his best footy. Why dont they persist with him up there??????
Give Skips and Minson a go as well and whoever performs, stays up forward as the big man!

mike1954
23-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Agree with everything you said, except for Callan. He has a good build and mongrel about him. I think he should be given a go and then we decide?

bornadog
23-02-2008, 03:14 PM
BAD, you have lowered the bar too much to excuse our disappointing loss. The Bombers had a lot out as well plus played some rookies which we didn't. They looked sharper and played smarter regardless if the game is full scale or not.

There is a masive difference between the NAB and practise matches to the real season.

hujsh
23-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Even in the 06 year most people seem to over glorify (i may have done this) we got smashed a few times at least. I hope we stop comparing ourselves to that year at every stage of the season. We got beat. Let's see how we go next week.

LostDoggy
23-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Even in the 06 year most people seem to over glorify (i may have done this) we got smashed a few times at least. I hope we stop comparing ourselves to that year at every stage of the season. We got beat. Let's see how we go next week.

Exactly. The 06 gameplan will never win a flag.

LostDoggy
23-02-2008, 03:48 PM
*Griffen has to play in the midfield, to give us run and penetration. (cant have West ,Cross and boyd )
*One of the aboriginal boys (Harbrow Or Lynch) has to play forward pocket to spark the forward line and kick the freaky goals.
*Cant have Wight and Misson both in forward line.

bornadog
23-02-2008, 04:14 PM

I seem to remember Geelong took our 06 game plan and perfected it by having a tall up forward (Mooney) and an accountable midfield.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Harbrow has to be in our best 22 now, I think. We need a player with zip, and Jarrod has that in bundles. His turning circle is one of the smallest in the competition. He's got twinkle toes and changes direction very quickly. He's got good skills and he's a smart little player. I hope we play him a FP, playing as a genuine crumber of about a 40m radius.

We lack zip, and Harbrow applies good defensive pressure too. Higgins would desperately want to improve in this area, he was a bystander again last night.

hujsh
23-02-2008, 04:56 PM

Maybe but we can't look back and hope for that to just come back. It's just that people seem to forget we made the 8 and won 1 final. We didn't lose a prelim by a couple of goals which is what it sometimes sounds like.

LostDoggy
23-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Could Matthew Boyd play back pocket? Im not sure there is room in midfield for West, CRoss and Boyd. He might not be able to play on the super quick small forwards (Davey etc), but he would be handy on a Farmer or a Chapman.......Thoughts?

mjp
23-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Could Matthew Boyd play back pocket? Im not sure there is room in midfield for West, CRoss and Boyd. He might not be able to play on the super quick small forwards (Davey etc), but he would be handy on a Farmer or a Chapman.......Thoughts?

It is not like we have a lot of alternatives...I think it is worth a go depending on what Eade wants in a bp. He tends to go for foot skills + run and carry (Gilbee), whilst leaving the out and out defending to a Morris. But, like I say - worth a try.

hujsh
23-02-2008, 08:37 PM
For the Croos West Boyd arguement, we would have to trade Boyd. Then when West ritires we lack in and under mids. Solution, keep one on the bench. I think this will help West playing less game time.

hargs37
23-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Boyd was sensational last season. Can't believe people are saying no room for him. He's a run with on baller, who can hurt the opposition on the turn over. Cross and West are like 2 peas in a pod so what do you do there. Your can't get ri dof either, just let griff and gia back in the rotation and see what happens

mjp
23-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Boyd was sensational last season. Can't believe people are saying no room for him. He's a run with on baller, who can hurt the opposition on the turn over. Cross and West are like 2 peas in a pod so what do you do there. Your can't get ri dof either, just let griff and gia back in the rotation and see what happens

Griff will play back, Gia will play forward.

Again, none of my comments are meant to say that Boyd isn't a good player...but I have had this argument before. As for being a 'run with' on-baller, when, exactly, does he ever play that role?

Bulldog Revolution
23-02-2008, 10:13 PM
I think Addison is the one we need to strongly persist with as a rebounding small defender. Even in a poor game like last night, and he made mistakes like every other player on the list, he still showed some dash, the ability to close down a guy, a good tackler, pretty good at gathering a hot ball off the deck.

I see far more upside in Addison than Callan at this stage and would like to see Addison receive every opportunity that Sam Power received over the years

hujsh
23-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Griff will play back, Gia will play forward.

Again, none of my comments are meant to say that Boyd isn't a good player...but I have had this argument before. As for being a 'run with' on-baller, when, exactly, does he ever play that role?

He did "run with" early last year (shut Kerr down) but then became an attacking option once West and Cross were injured at the same time

Mantis
24-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Harbrow has to be in our best 22 now, I think. We need a player with zip, and Jarrod has that in bundles. His turning circle is one of the smallest in the competition. He's got twinkle toes and changes direction very quickly. He's got good skills and he's a smart little player. I hope we play him a FP, playing as a genuine crumber of about a 40m radius.

We lack zip, and Harbrow applies good defensive pressure too. Higgins would desperately want to improve in this area, he was a bystander again last night.

Agree he plays before quite a few of our more experienced players in my team too.

Your last statement is correct. Most teams now have a quick small forward who is very good at applying defensive pressure, most of these are aboriginal players (Davey's, Hooper, etc..).

mjp has said it before, 'The next time Higgins applies a tackle it will be his first'.... We are still waiting.

Go_Dogs
24-02-2008, 11:42 AM
It is not like we have a lot of alternatives...I think it is worth a go depending on what Eade wants in a bp. He tends to go for foot skills + run and carry (Gilbee), whilst leaving the out and out defending to a Morris. But, like I say - worth a try.

Who else do you see being able to play the explosive runner in the midfield with Cooney then? Griffen or Gilbee to me look our best options at present, and we're basically robbing Pete to pay Paul with that as we really need some good options running it out of the back half and no one else seems capable besides those two.

mjp
24-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah - all fair enough.

I thing Cooney needs to play midfield (obviously) as much as possible. I also think both Griffen and Gilbee are best when behind the ball. But I guess what you are asking is who else plays in the middle if Boyd goes back?

Cross for one. He has a marking component too his game that Boyd and West lack, and this makes him 'different'. If he could only kick, he would be a terrific asset moving forward on occasions.

West cannot play anywhere else. His strength is getting on to the loose ball and distributing it to a running option. He still does this better than most everyone else in the league...but again, his kicking is (if anything) getting worse based on the evidence of the last two weeks. He is going to provide little value up forward and is too much of a ball watcher to go back.

Aker is an obvious one. Simply put, we need him around the ball (but what has happened to his kicking lately???). Apart from him I think we need to focus on:

Ray
Harbrow
Higgins

And try to make them legitimate centre square players. Of the three, Ray is probably the most 'ready' (pity about his injury), whilst Harbrow is the one who would appear to be the most coachable.

Of the rest, you have Eagleton (average), Gia (best suited forward), Callan (reserves player), Hill (still a baby), Stack (see hill), Lynch (see Stack)....or we take a real chance and throw someone like Hargrave or Everitt to the lions and see what they can do...both will run and kick long...

Go_Dogs
24-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah - all fair enough.

I thing Cooney needs to play midfield (obviously) as much as possible. I also think both Griffen and Gilbee are best when behind the ball. But I guess what you are asking is who else plays in the middle if Boyd goes back?

Cross for one. He has a marking component too his game that Boyd and West lack, and this makes him 'different'. If he could only kick, he would be a terrific asset moving forward on occasions.

West cannot play anywhere else. His strength is getting on to the loose ball and distributing it to a running option. He still does this better than most everyone else in the league...but again, his kicking is (if anything) getting worse based on the evidence of the last two weeks. He is going to provide little value up forward and is too much of a ball watcher to go back.

Aker is an obvious one. Simply put, we need him around the ball (but what has happened to his kicking lately???). Apart from him I think we need to focus on:

Ray
Harbrow
Higgins

And try to make them legitimate centre square players. Of the three, Ray is probably the most 'ready' (pity about his injury), whilst Harbrow is the one who would appear to be the most coachable.

Of the rest, you have Eagleton (average), Gia (best suited forward), Callan (reserves player), Hill (still a baby), Stack (see hill), Lynch (see Stack)....or we take a real chance and throw someone like Hargrave or Everitt to the lions and see what they can do...both will run and kick long...

Ok, well I agree with you about Cooney, has to pretty much play strictly as a midfielder, Cross too, as I don't really see another position for him, and as you say his ability to mark and hold his position/nerve in the contest is just about second to none. Westy of course will play the majority of the year either in the centre square or off the wing at the bounce and just follow the ball.

I still feel Griffen can play a role there, but we have yet to see him have an extended run and really dominate at will, however I feel it will come. He's terrific off half back, but I just think he's going to be too good to waste there once he gets up and going in the midfield (hopefully).

Akermanis is another one who could perhaps fill the void, although he has perhaps lost a yard and his kicking as you mentioned has yet to be as good as we know it can be during games. I think he should be given a bit of license to go in and make things happen.

Higgins and Harbrow probably won't get there this year, and who knows now with Ray how far back the injury will leave him coming into the season proper.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing Everitt thrown to the lions and given a bit of a run through the midfield too. He's got the pace, skills and composure when he's on his game to become the sort of tall utility who can run through the middle. Don't know if he'll get there this year though, and probably shouldn't be as others can give more value.

It seems still to me that unless Griff or Higgins can really step into a more commanding midfield spot we are going to be a bit one paced and lack the foot skills we really need for our game plan.

hujsh
24-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Everitt certain appears to have the skills for the middle. Let's hope he can play key position as well but (Like how Fanklin and Brown can play in the middle but don't)

wimberga
25-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Hargrave into the middle is not such a bad idea. He's ferocious on the ball, has pretty good skills and has a few pre seasons under his belt to support the motor.

Sockeye Salmon
25-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Everitt is no certainty to evenbe in the seniors.

mjp
25-02-2008, 10:16 AM
With Everitt, I was watching Michael Johnson play in the middle against West Coast and thought maybe Everitt could do a similar thing. I dont mind the comparison with Brown or Franklin, but was thinking more about the way Pavlich spent a season or two as a mid-fielder before moving into a key forward role. Brown did spend a fair bit of time in the centre-square during 2005 or 2006 to that point.

Go_Dogs
25-02-2008, 10:21 AM
With Everitt, I was watching Michael Johnson play in the middle against West Coast and thought maybe Everitt could do a similar thing. I dont mind the comparison with Brown or Franklin, but was thinking more about the way Pavlich spent a season or two as a mid-fielder before moving into a key forward role. Brown did spend a fair bit of time in the centre-square during 2005 or 2006 to that point.

Yep, pretty much my thoughts. Everitt arguably has the best foot skills of the lot to boot as well. Plus he's shown good ability to win the contested ball, and take a mark.

The concerns would be his motor, can he go the distance. Would they coaching staff also be more worried about injury/durability of him playing in that position, as opposed to say, a back flank where he'll most likely spend a lot of his year?

Mantis
25-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah - all fair enough.

Ray
Harbrow
Higgins

So what do we do with this bloke??

On Friday night's performance I think he has little to offer. West has been a great player for the club, but he is not a player that will improve our performance as a team. The game has changed so much over the past couple of years such that if you can't run and carry the ball and use it well by foot you are a liablity. We have too many in this category at present.

Twodogs
25-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Thank you, I wish Season 4 would start up again. I'm really missing it!

Season 4 is by far the best. The 45 minute episodes are very funny. The writers strike has caused the season to be postponed halfway through though.

Dwight is a great character. When he wrapped Phyllis in the bag with the feral animal was one of the funniest things I've seen for a long time.

mjp
25-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Everitt is no certainty to evenbe in the seniors.

Agree with you (on current form). But again, based on Friday night, we will have more than a few 'form-based' outs. We do still need to field 22, and given this I think he SHOULD play.

mjp
25-02-2008, 11:41 AM
So, from what I have been saying:

Back 6:

Boyd/Lake/Morris/Gilbee/Griffen/

(I know I am a tall defender short and that there are only 5 names there).

Forward 6:

Welsh/Harbrow/Johnson/Hahn/Gia/Minson

Ruck + Mids:

Hudson/West/Cross/Cooney/Ray/Aker

Bench:

Ruck: Not required. Hudson and Minson to share.
Tall Utility: No idea. McDougall or Wight I guess.
Runners: Everitt/Higgins/Hargrave

We really need Williams to get right and cover a tall forward.

Twodogs
25-02-2008, 11:44 AM
It'd be handy to know exactly what Williams injury is and how long he's due to be out.

Mantis
25-02-2008, 11:47 AM
It'd be handy to know exactly what Williams injury is and how long he's due to be out.

Strained thigh, or so we are told. It was reported that it was a 2 week injury 4 weeks ago so who knows.

GVGjr
25-02-2008, 11:53 AM
So, from what I have been saying:

Back 6:

Boyd/Lake/Morris/Gilbee/Griffen/

(I know I am a tall defender short and that there are only 5 names there).

Forward 6:

Welsh/Harbrow/Johnson/Hahn/Gia/Minson

Ruck + Mids:

Hudson/West/Cross/Cooney/Ray/Aker

Bench:

Ruck: Not required. Hudson and Minson to share.
Tall Utility: No idea. McDougall or Wight I guess.
Runners: Everitt/Higgins/Hargrave

We really need Williams to get right and cover a tall forward.

Murphy forward or back?

mjp
25-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I knew I would forget someone...it just happens to be our best position player.

I think he is better back, but we need him forward.

wimberga
25-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Murphy is a good versatile player and agree MJP, he is needed in the forwardline. The most important thing is for him to get his hands on the ball and thus he will probably play both positions this year depending on where he can get most of the ball in each game.

Sockeye Salmon
25-02-2008, 12:16 PM
So what do we do with this bloke??

On Friday night's performance I think he has little to offer. West has been a great player for the club, but he is not a player that will improve our performance as a team. The game has changed so much over the past couple of years such that if you can't run and carry the ball and use it well by foot you are a liablity. We have too many in this category at present.

There's still a spot for blokes who win the footy.

The day will come when West will have to give it away but it ain't yet.

Be aware older guys tend to ease themselves into seasons when they are eased through the pre-season. I might take West, Johnson and even Aker a month to get going.

Mantis
25-02-2008, 12:25 PM
There's still a spot for blokes who win the footy.

The day will come when West will have to give it away but it ain't yet.

Be aware older guys tend to ease themselves into seasons when they are eased through the pre-season. I might take West, Johnson and even Aker a month to get going.

All valid points, but our midfield had rings run around it on Friday. Understand that all the young kids are flying at present, but I am concerned about our lack of run and carry. Not having Gilbee and Griffen in the team made things worse, but our lack of foot skills coming out of defence and through the middle is a huge worry.

Go_Dogs
25-02-2008, 12:55 PM
All valid points, but our midfield had rings run around it on Friday. Understand that all the young kids are flying at present, but I am concerned about our lack of run and carry. Not having Gilbee and Griffen in the team made things worse, but our lack of foot skills coming out of defence and through the middle is a huge worry.

I agree. We really need Griffen and Gilbee to have big years if we're to be a chance for anything. Our skill and burst leg speed is below average in the midfield group at the moment too, based on Friday's performance.

Sockeye Salmon
25-02-2008, 02:31 PM
The thing that stood out to me was our dreadful skill level.

Sure we looked slow but you always do when you lead, the kick misses it's target so you have to turn around and chase someone.

They did look quick, though, Davey did a pretty good impersonation of his brother.

Bulldog Revolution
25-02-2008, 03:29 PM
The thing that stood out to me was our dreadful skill level.

Sure we looked slow but you always do when you lead, the kick misses it's target so you have to turn around and chase someone.

Our hands were just appalling, we fumbled everything and we went wide and missed targets by large margins

The Bulldogs Bite
25-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Davey & Jetta add a lot to The Dons, they certainly look a different side with those two running around. Dempsey and Dyson are fast, too.

Over the last 12 months our skill level has dropped significantly. Aside from Griffen & Gilbee, perhaps one or two others, we miss far too many targets. We're close to the worst handballing side in the competition too - I can't believe how many hit the ground or are ill-directed.

We need to find some pace around the ground, we look slow. Harbrow & Lynch have it in bucket loads but Lynch is still a while off and you can't expect the world from Harbrow, he's only young.

Our midfield dpeth is worrying; we don't have any young mids pressing, whilst Higgins defensive efforts are nothing short of pathetic.

LostDoggy
25-02-2008, 03:35 PM
All I know if that sort of piss poor excuse for umpiring continues I won't be going to the football much this season.
No point getting upset every week.

Mantis
25-02-2008, 03:57 PM
All I know if that sort of piss poor excuse for umpiring continues I won't be going to the football much this season.

I was more upset with our efforts compared to the umpires. I can put with pathetic umpiring, I almost expect it, but I expect more from the team I support than what we received on Friday.

wimberga
25-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Agree Mantis. The Umpiring was dreadful but that does not hide the way the team played. We would never have deserved to win that game or to even lose by anything less than 40 points.

Just need to take the positives out of it. Stack and Hill played reasonable games, minson got his first run up front and did some good things and Eade now has a better idea of the areas that need to be improved. Now is the hard part of trying to get all teh wholes filled for round 1

hujsh
25-02-2008, 05:12 PM
One thing that is extremely annoying is the handball to someone standing next to an opposition player. It is done so often i wouldn't surprise me if it was an intended play

bornadog
25-02-2008, 05:19 PM

Its sure frustrating, especially the holding the ball rule. In the last quarter, West dived on the ball but the ball slipped out behind him. In the meantime it was stacks on the mill and he had no hope of doing anything and was pinged for holding the ball. The ball was actually out from under him, and infact behind him, but he had Essendon players on top of him, sitting on his back, no protection for the guy going for the ball. On TV he can be heard saying but I didn't have the ball?

As you say, if this is going to be the standard, its going to be hard to watch.

hujsh
25-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Its sure frustrating, especially the holding the ball rule. In the last quarter, West dived on the ball but the ball slipped out behind him. In the meantime it was stacks on the mill and he had no hope of doing anything and was pinged for holding the ball. The ball was actually out from under him, and infact behind him, but he had Essendon players on top of him, sitting on his back, no protection for the guy going for the ball. On TV he can be heard saying but I didn't have the ball?

As you say, if this is going to be the standard, its going to be hard to watch.

Nothing worse than when the player goes for the ball, gets it out, has the players shovit in and hold it to him and then get pinged. This happed in Dubai i think and the commentator (i think our mate David) said it was smart and praised the player "tackling".

Shittest rule ever (even worse than hands in back)

LostDoggy
25-02-2008, 06:07 PM
I can put with pathetic umpiring, I almost expect it, but I expect more from the team I support than what we received on Friday.
I don't expect pathetic umpiring for just 1 side. I expect fair umpiring for both sides.
I understand we were poor and didn't deserve to win but when decisions upset you and leave you perplexed, it makes it difficult to support the club you love when they are up against it continually.

Go_Dogs
25-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't expect pathetic umpiring for just 1 side. I expect fair umpiring for both sides.
I understand we were poor and didn't deserve to win but when decisions upset you and leave you perplexed, it makes it difficult to support the club you love when they are up against it continually.

I have to say I agree with Ernie on this one. Last year there were often games where I was left extremely frustrated with the umpiring decisions we received/had go against us.