PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown vs Northern Bullants

GVGjr
23-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I know Bulldogs Revolution was heading over to see the games today but this is a quick snapshot from another mate who went. (He has no access to a PC)

- Past Bulldog players at the game consisted of Barry Round, Steve Kolynuik and Steve McPherson
- Coaching staff of Cameron and Campbell
- Reid and Mulligan played in the reserves and Reid has a suspected broken hand. Having xrays to confirm
- Dick Pratt was there and wanted to know who was playing?????
- Grant was on crutches with his foot bandaged. Boumann was there but didn't play (nor did he go to the quarter time addresses)
- Not sure if White played
- Stack and O'Shea backed up from Friday night. O'Shea in defense and Stack started on the bench.
- Ward and O'Keefe played forward and a bit in the midfield. Shaw rucked a bit.

My mate reckons Gotch is an impressive coach.

Thats about all I could get out of him

Bulldog Revolution
23-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Given the amount of players that either played AFL or were unavailable both VFL squads were weakened and hence both games were pretty scrappy, particularly the reserves game.

Reserves listed players: Mulligan and Reid

Mulligan spent most of his time at full forward/inside forward 50, but did a spell in the backline and on the ball. He probably kicked 3 and looked a good physical presence at VFL reserves level in terms of his size and athleticism. Led reasonable well and took a good mark close to goal after out muscling his man. He looked less at home in the ruck but wasn't there for long.

Reid played mainly half forward/centre half forward, took one nice mark in the centre square, took a couple of runs, gathered a few posessions but then went off shortly in the second half.

Willi lost after a goal on the siren - but like a player having a brain fade I'd switched off and only really noticed when the Bullants supporters in the stand behind me cheered

Senior listed players - Ward, OKeefe, OShea, Stack, Shaw

I only saw a bit over half of the senior game and again the standard was not super high and there weren't that many of our players running around. Willy were 4 goals-ish down to NBullants when I left

Shaw - started from the opening bounce in the ruck and did a reasonable job, not sure how athletic he is, thats not to say he isn't more I just didn't get that much idea, but he gets his hand to the ball and is a goer.
Oshea - started in defence on a key forward and was probably led to the ball a bit too much.
Ward - started on a half forward flank and had a few spells on the ball, he was quietish but did a few nice things. The ball was nowhere near his flank for the first 10 minutes or so as the Bullants kicked the first two.
Stack - started on the bench before moving to centre half forward, he got a little of it but was quiet, but it was a scrappy game with few fluent direct forward movements.
OKeefe - was the pick of our bunch that I saw, I thought he kicked two goals in the first half and set up another - given we only had 4 or 5 for the half it was a good contribution. Not exactly sure where he started but he played forward pocket, half forward and had a stint on the ball - won some of his own footy, made some good leads, and used the ball well. Without being dominant it was an encouraging display and he looked a clever player.

I thought the team looked better when Ward and OKeefe started the forward movements -they just seemed to provide more fluent attacking movements.

Didn't see White in either squad

hujsh
23-02-2008, 07:00 PM
O'Keefe has emerged as a smoky for a debut from what I've heard recently

LostDoggy
23-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I went as well, didnt really know any of the players except for guy okeefe, paul oshea, brennan stack and callan ward.

Was nice to see rocket actually watch the game as well, only saw him from half time onwards, i hope he does go and watch willy as often as he can since he didnt really do that at werribee(unless i jsut didnt see him), but yeah always good to see the senior coach watching.

Bulldog Revolution i think henry white was sitting with malcolm lynch and jarrod harbrow, think it was him anyway.

Bulldog Revolution
23-02-2008, 10:03 PM
I went as well, didnt really know any of the players except for guy okeefe, paul oshea, brennan stack and callan ward.

Was nice to see rocket actually watch the game as well, only saw him from half time onwards, i hope he does go and watch willy as often as he can since he didnt really do that at werribee(unless i jsut didnt see him), but yeah always good to see the senior coach watching.

Bulldog Revolution i think henry white was sitting with malcolm lynch and jarrod harbrow, think it was him anyway.

Might well have been Henry White, he looked slightly familiar but I wasn't sure who it was

What did you make of the second half Minson27?

Did OShea improve?

Did OKeefe continue on?

Did Ward get a bit more of it?

Stack have any influence?

BulldogBelle
23-02-2008, 11:18 PM
BR and GVGjr thanks for taking the time and effort to put those reports up.

BR the comments you made regarding O'Keefe sound very promising, looking forward to hearing more about him in the future.

hujsh
23-02-2008, 11:21 PM
It will be strange to see the reports on sites like sporting pulse without Faulkner or Birss getting BOG's.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2008, 12:02 AM
BR and GVGjr thanks for taking the time and effort to put those reports up.

BR the comments you made regarding O'Keefe sound very promising, looking forward to hearing more about him in the future.

I second these thoughts. The reports on O'Keefe right throughout the pre-season have been promissing. Along with Wood, we haven't heard too much about him in the papers or anything, but on the training track he's got a few raps, and in one of the intra club matches too. It's pleasing to see him show something early on too.

LostDoggy
24-02-2008, 12:17 AM
O'Keefe has emerged as a smoky for a debut from what I've heard recently

Could well be. I haven't seen a lot of him so this is an opinion without really sighting too much but I keep hearing that he could be the one that slips through and does a Harbrow type first season.

LostDoggy
24-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Might well have been Henry White, he looked slightly familiar but I wasn't sure who it was

What did you make of the second half Minson27?

Did OShea improve?

Did OKeefe continue on?

Did Ward get a bit more of it?

Stack have any influence?

Cant say i took a whole lot of notice, since i was still trying to figure out who was who, was a bit hard when your not used to watching willy, used to watching the bees.

I know oshea spent most of the last qtr on the bench(well on the bike) not sure stacky spent a whole lot of time on the ground after halkt time, he had ice on his elbow.

Didnt really notice the other two a whole lot, took me a little while to realise #14 was cal ward.

But yah with the games i watch wen willy play this year(probably wont be a whole lot since im sticking with werribee) ill try and take a lot more notice.

GVGjr
24-02-2008, 12:15 PM
I wonder what the injury is to Easton Wood?

Bulldog Revolution
24-02-2008, 07:05 PM

How much of the pre-season has he actually done?

Didn't he arrive at the club needing a shoulder operated on or something like that?

hujsh
24-02-2008, 07:12 PM

Was Eastern Wood the winger who can take a speccy?

GVGjr
24-02-2008, 09:04 PM
How much of the pre-season has he actually done?

Didn't he arrive at the club needing a shoulder operated on or something like that?

He only did light training back at the East West day and I have been to two other training sessions and haven't really spotted him.

I think the shoulder injury is correct

GVGjr
24-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Was Eastern Wood the winger who can take a speccy?

Thats what we hear

Dry Rot
24-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for various good reports.

O'Keefe sounded bloody good in his first (practice) VFL outing.

Bulldog Revolution
24-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Cant say i took a whole lot of notice, since i was still trying to figure out who was who, was a bit hard when your not used to watching willy, used to watching the bees.

I know oshea spent most of the last qtr on the bench(well on the bike) not sure stacky spent a whole lot of time on the ground after halkt time, he had ice on his elbow.

Didnt really notice the other two a whole lot, took me a little while to realise #14 was cal ward.

But yah with the games i watch wen willy play this year(probably wont be a whole lot since im sticking with werribee) ill try and take a lot more notice.

Cheers Minson,

Both OShea and Stack will have had their game time pretty strictly monitored and it was probably a challenge for both of them to get up after the night before

LostDoggy
25-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Cheers Minson,

Both OShea and Stack will have had their game time pretty strictly monitored and it was probably a challenge for both of them to get up after the night before

Yeah paul arrived at the ground the same time i did, and looked pretty tired, stacky didnt know where the change rooms were(both of the boys didnt have a clue where the change rooms were, would they have been at that ground before? Im not sure they have been).

Hopefully stacks elbow is all good now.