PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Lions

GVGjr
31-12-2019, 07:32 AM
From the Hun

I'm not sure how much of a bonus Birchall will be given his struggle with injuries and if you are listing Deven Robertson as one of the 8 reasons why they can improve I think that is a bit of a stretch. Their quality midfield that runs very deep is their strength and I think they have some excellent key position players.
They should be in for another top 6 spot in 2020

1. UPWARD TREND

After winning five games in each of the 2017 and 2018 seasons, last season was a breakout campaign for the Lions under coach Chris Fagan. The side won 16 games to finish second on the ladder, stunning the football world before bowing out of finals in straight sets. But the experience should prove invaluable going forward. While veteran defender Luke Hodge has hung up the boots, the Lions’ list is largely young and improving and that bodes well for them to again push their case as a serious contender in 2020 and potentially take another step or two forward.

2. GRANT BIRCHALL

One out, one in. While Hodge might have retired from the Brisbane backline, one of his four-time Hawthorn premiership teammates in Grant Birchall has been added to help fill the void. Yes, Birchall has had knee and hamstring issues which have restricted him to just eight games in the past three years, but the Lions would not have picked up the unrestricted free agent if they did not believe he could get his body right. Birchall has spoken of his hope a “fresh start” will help and is confident that at 31 years old he can still have a meaningful impact. An All-Australian in 2012, Birchall averaged 22.9 disposals across 24 games in his last full season in 2016.

3. NO.1 MIDFIELD

You read that right. Forget Collingwood, West Coast or Greater Western Sydney. It is the Lions who have the No.1 midfield in the competition according to Champion Data. The calculations, which are based purely on individual talent, not only include the primary on-ballers but also the wings. Lachie Neale, who finished equal-third in the Brownlow Medal in 2019, leads the charge in the Brisbane engine room along with captain Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons and wingman Mitch Robinson — all of whom are rated elite in their positions by the AFL’s official statisticians. From a team perspective the No.1 rating matches up, with the Lions ranked second for clearances and fourth for inside-50s last season.

4. SECOND-YOUNGEST LIST

Brisbane will start next season with an average list age of just 23.43 years old. That puts them ahead of only Gold Coast Suns (23.24). That is excitimg for a team that played finals last season because it suggests there is more upside to come. Developing key forward Eric Hipwood, wingman Hugh McCluggage, former No.1 draft pick Cam Rayner, midfielder Jarrod Berry, key defender Alex Witherden and 2019 Rising Star nominee Noah Answerth will all start next season under the age of 23. Their ceilings are seemingly much higher than what they have produced to date.

5. ERIC HIPWOOD

Young key position players generally take time to develop and forward Eric Hipwood is no different. While still producing a solid 2019 season, he perhaps did not take the step forward many had thought he might. However, entering his fifth season, now is his time to shine. The 204cm big man booted 35.29 from 23 games last season but ranked below average for disposals, kicking and one-on-one contests. The Lions clearly believe he can take further steps forward, though, after signing him to a three-year contract extension estimated to be worth $2 million in September. Brisbane believes Hipwood has been crucial to the growth of their forward line in recent years with his team-first. Former St Kilda and Essendon star Brendon Goddard believes Hipwood will add some real consistency to his game in 2020.

6. SCORING POWER

The Brisbane forward line has plenty of firepower and finished last season as the highest scoring team in the competition. The Lions averaged 91 points a game during the home-and-away season, consistently finding a wide range of avenues to goal. Including finals, Charlie Cameron kicked 57 goals, Hipwood contributed 35, midfielder Zorko logged 23, wingman McCluggage kicked 23 and key forward Daniel McStay booted 21 goals. Mid-sized forward Lincoln McCarthy and Cam Rayner each kicked 20 goals to make for a total of seven players who contributed 20 or more goals. Geelong was the only other club to match that feat.

7. CAM ELLIS-YOLMEN

The former Adelaide onballer did not gather much fanfare when he was signed as a free agent during the trade period, but the Lions are excited by what they have picked up. Ellis-Yolmen was somewhat a forgotten player last season, not featuring for the Crows after Round 13 because of a stress reaction in his right leg. However, across 10 games in the first half of the season he averaged 23.5 disposals (12.3 contested), 4.9 clearances, 5.5 tackles and 93 SuperCoach ranking points. He will still be in his prime at 27 when next season starts and the Lions think he can add another big body to their midfield and provide clean clearances while also potentially pinch-hitting forward.

8. DEVEN ROBERTSON

Brisbane’s first pick in the 2019 AFL National Draft did not come until No.22. But they managed to pick up a player who some clubs rated as a potential top 10. The nephew of former West Coast captain Darren Glass, Robertson captained Western Australia at the national championships and was named the best-and-fairest player in Division 1 after breaking Sam Walsh’s record for the most disposals at the tournament by averaging 30 a match. A tough ball-winning machine, Robertson looks ready to feature at some stage next year and looms as a serious talent of the future.

CHAMPION DATA SAYS

It’s no surprise that Brisbane’s strength is in their midfield, rated as the No.1 midfield and ruck combination in the competition. They have three elite players in Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons and Lachie Neale while new recruit Cam Ellis-Yolmen is rated above average.

Go_Dogs
31-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Hard to see them anywhere but the top 6.

Strong midfield inside and out, some good tall timber at both ends and enough veteran experience to cover what is otherwise a youthful list. The GABBA is also an advantage as not a lot of teams travel well there.

GVGjr
31-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Hard to see them anywhere but the top 6.

Strong midfield inside and out, some good tall timber at both ends and enough veteran experience to cover what is otherwise a youthful list. The GABBA is also an advantage as not a lot of teams travel well there.

They have primarily drafted and developed their list

In 2015 they drafted Schache and Hipwood and obviously Schache came to us
Then the 2016 was a bonanza for them, McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and McInerney have been excellent and they would be hopeful that Cox and Allison kick on
In 2017 they landed Rayner, Bailey and would be hopeful with Starcevich

Landing Lyons and Neale were the big bonus for them and helped them in having a legitimate midfield

Go_Dogs
31-12-2019, 08:44 AM
They have primarily drafted and developed their list

In 2015 they drafted Schache and Hipwood and obviously Schache came to us
Then the 2016 was a bonanza for them, McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and McInerney have been excellent and they would be hopeful that Cox and Allison kick on
In 2017 they landed Rayner, Bailey and would be hopeful with Starcevich

Landing Lyons and Neale were the big bonus for them and helped them in having a legitimate midfield

Yes, they're a good case study of drafting best available and have got lucky with a few astute trades where the timing fell into their laps with Neale wanting out and his best mate from back home heading up North, while the Lyons one is still a head scratcher. It would have been easy to lose faith after the number of top picks walked in years prior, but they have clearly improved their talent identification, player engagement and now are retaining them.

Twodogs
31-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Brisbane have done really well in their recruiting and drafting I reckon. They always seem to land the players they go after and although I am not the greatest Cam Rayner fan in the World I wouldn't mind reliving them of some of the talls they have drafted (oh I don't know-maybe A tall forward with a big tank who is good overhead and below his knees and is a beautiful kick of the footy? Do you think they may have a player like that we could take-Oh that's right WE HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT!!!!!! Love ya Joshy!)

bornadog
31-12-2019, 01:26 PM
They should be a top 4 side again, especially playing home games at the GABBA where it is once more becoming fortress. They really need Hipwood to further improve and bag some goals.

Rocket Science
31-12-2019, 02:57 PM
I'm both fond of and bullish about Brissy, but after last season's meteoric rise I wonder if they'll find it doesn't just automatically happen in 2020.

Our tilts against them should be entertaining if nothing else.

comrade
31-12-2019, 03:03 PM
They had an ultra juicy draw last year, so will be interesting to see how they cope with a tougher one. Definitely a top 4 contender with their midfield depth, but wouldn't be surprised if they slipped back a touch.

Twodogs
31-12-2019, 03:11 PM
I'm both fond of and bullish about Brissy, but after last season's meteoric rise I wonder if they'll find it doesn't just automatically happen in 2020.

I could see that Melbourne had gotten waaaay ahead of themselves lat preseason and frankly the unthinking way that the media fawned all over them was frankly starting to get on my tits. They thought all they had to do was turn up and they would top 4 no question and there was probably a bit of truth to that. The big problem being that they didn't turn up.

But I don't get that feeling with Brisbane. Whether it's tyranny of distance (and we just don't get much media here about them) or they are genuinely keeping their heads up and arses down remains to be seen but I can see Brisbane making the finals

GVGjr
31-12-2019, 04:53 PM

They did a great job at keeping the team on the park although Marcus Adams did his best to drag down the numbers :)
If they struggle with injuries I still think they have the depth to cover it but it might test them

Remi Moses
31-12-2019, 08:18 PM
They had to come good sooner or later
I think top 6 is almost certain with the Gabba being a fortress
Forward lines a worry with a heavy reliance on Cameron

Remi Moses
31-12-2019, 08:20 PM
I could see that Melbourne had gotten waaaay ahead of themselves lat preseason and frankly the unthinking way that the media fawned all over them was frankly starting to get on my tits. They thought all they had to do was turn up and they would top 4 no question and there was probably a bit of truth to that. The big problem being that they didn't turn up.

But I don't get that feeling with Brisbane. Whether it's tyranny of distance (and we just don't get much media here about them) or they are genuinely keeping their heads up and arses down remains to be seen but I can see Brisbane making the finals

Tend to agree . Not consuming their own bath water like Melbourne do
Reckon the way they bowed out might have stung a bit

GVGjr
13-01-2020, 10:56 PM
I see Marcus Adams finished 2nd in the Brisbane 3km time trial behind Jarrod Berry
We all know about his constant battles with injuries but that is an impressive effort by Adams and if he can stay health (that's a bit if) he will be a huge bonus for the Lions

I was never happy about losing him

Mofra
14-01-2020, 10:27 AM
I see Marcus Adams finished 2nd in the Brisbane 3km time trial behind Jarrod Berry
We all know about his constant battles with injuries but that is an impressive effort by Adams and if he can stay health (that's a bit if) he will be a huge bonus for the Lions

He's a quality player when he's on the paddock. He's not someone you can bank on for a full season though.

I'm really bullish on Keath so that really softens the blow. Plus La. Young as a tall rebounder, and Lewie Young has shown signs.

Happy Days
14-01-2020, 10:28 AM

Neither was I but WOW he was terrible for them last year. I'm going to wait until I see some positives out of him on field before I get too upset.

bornadog
14-01-2020, 01:00 PM
Neither was I but WOW he was terrible for them last year. I'm going to wait until I see some positives out of him on field before I get too upset.

He was terrible last year. I am not fussed he is gone, he is too short anyway to play a KPP.

GVGjr
14-01-2020, 02:01 PM
He was terrible last year. I am not fussed he is gone, he is too short anyway to play a KPP.

Did you say the same when we were interested in Hurley?

Twodogs
14-01-2020, 02:14 PM
Did you say the same when we were interested in Hurley?

I would have liked us to give Marcus one more chance, but then he has done nothing at Brisbane to make me stop and think that we have given a great prize away.

List spots are too valuable nowadays to be clogging them up with blokes who look good but never get onto the ground. That was OK back in the day we had senior lists of 60+

hujsh
14-01-2020, 03:25 PM
I was under the impression he actually played some good footy for Brisbane once he was actually out on the park.

comrade
14-01-2020, 03:30 PM
I was under the impression he actually played some good footy for Brisbane once he was actually out on the park.

Some good, some bad. The usual output.

He should come to his senses and fulfil his true calling: professional bodybuilder.

Rocket Science
14-01-2020, 04:10 PM

True. When he finally made it onto the park he had a couple of influential games as an interceptor during Brissy's late charge including that nail-biter over the Handbaggers - but they soon discovered how the Spec fares when asked to mind someone. Dusty absolutely bullied him in their first final.

AshMac
14-01-2020, 05:23 PM
Why did he actually leave? Was it our choice or his?

My recollection is it was totally his choice and it appeared there was a behind the scenes rift around the medical treatment he received. Can’t understand why else he’d go to Brisbane when he was homesick....

Rocket Science
14-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Why did he actually leave? Was it our choice or his?

My recollection is it was totally his choice and it appeared there was a behind the scenes rift around the medical treatment he received. Can’t understand why else he’d go to Brisbane when he was homesick....

All we were fed was the 'fresh start' angle, others may know if there's more afoot ... Suspect he'd simply had a gutful of his wretched luck combined with our post-flag hangover and the view that Brisbane's medical / conditioning team is reputedly the envy of the league.

It'll be interesting to see if Spec can finally hold up for at least 50% of a season.

AshMac
14-01-2020, 07:54 PM
All we were fed was the 'fresh start' angle, others may know if there's more afoot ... Suspect he'd simply had a gutful of his wretched luck combined with our post-flag hangover and the view that Brisbane's medical / conditioning team is reputedly the envy of the league.

It'll be interesting to see if Spec can finally hold up for at least 50% of a season.

It will be interesting - he didn’t manage it last year. Not buying the fresh start plug.

GVGjr
14-01-2020, 08:08 PM

Some good, some bad. The usual output.

He should come to his senses and fulfil his true calling: professional bodybuilder.

I think comrade has nailed it, a bit of a mixed bag but if Brisbane's medical team does get on top of his injury troubles he can really help their back line

Ghost Dog
05-09-2021, 02:36 AM
Well what can we say about the Lions?
They smalls were excellent very dangerous. I laugh when people talk about Greene being one of the best players in the comp. Cameron s** all over him. I was petrified any time he went near the ball.
Their talls didn't quite give them a reward for investment.

There are many coaches I don't like much. Chris Fagan is quite likable and they pushed us to the edge tonight.
Great Game and respect Lions.

Happy Days
05-09-2021, 02:47 AM
Lions aren’t built for it. Zorko, their captain, never ever delivers when it counts, and how can you get behind someone like that?

They’re a fun team who will never matter as long as they play like they’re a fun team. If I barracked for them having the coach say we had a great year in the presser as we bundled out in straight sets for the second time in three years would have me breathing fire.

macca
05-09-2021, 03:35 AM
They have Daniher, one of the most overpaid players in history of game on 750k a year, on a 3 year deal. Keath was owned him tonight. I was really hoping Alex kicked that goal. That would have been the nail in the coffin on Daniher defensive efforts!

Lets see how long Adams and Nakia stay on the park next year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/674194/high-priced-recruit-goes-missing-as-lions-fail-in-finals-again

Ghost Dog
05-09-2021, 08:36 AM
They have Daniher, one of the most overpaid players in history of game on 750k a year, on a 3 year deal. Keath was owned him tonight. I was really hoping Alex kicked that goal. That would have been the nail in the coffin on Daniher defensive efforts!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/674194/high-priced-recruit-goes-missing-as-lions-fail-in-finals-again

They had plenty of outs. Their regular forward line messed up. Daniher, am surprised they managed to keep him injury free.
Keath owns everyone. Very long list of scalps.

Coaches have to keep a positive energy. I am sure they breathe fire when it counts.
Not seen Fagan so fired up during a game before.

Topdog
05-09-2021, 10:09 AM
Cameron ahead of Greene?? I hate Toby but he is a great player, no way he would be as quiet as Cameron was after qtr time

SquirrelGrip
05-09-2021, 10:28 AM
Cameron ahead of Greene?? I hate Toby but he is a great player, no way he would be as quiet as Cameron was after qtr time

A Carlton-supporting mate texted me at half time checking I was OK. He felt all we needed to do some stop Cameron and we were home.

We did and it worked.

westdog54
05-09-2021, 11:28 AM

I actually had to go back and check Nakia's numbers.

5 disposals and two frees against.

He only had three more fantasy points than Cody Weightman did.

1eyedog
05-09-2021, 12:45 PM
Well what can we say about the Lions?
They smalls were excellent very dangerous. I laugh when people talk about Greene being one of the best players in the comp. Cameron s** all over him. I was petrified any time he went near the ball.
Their talls didn't quite give them a reward for investment.

There are many coaches I don't like much. Chris Fagan is quite likable and they pushed us to the edge tonight.
Great Game and respect Lions.

Toby Greene plays to a consistently higher level and has more tricks. Charlie runs fast and kicks goals. They're two really good skills but you have to be good in lots of areas and Greene is.

Twodogs
05-09-2021, 12:55 PM

Toby Greene plays to a consistently higher level and has more tricks. Charlie runs fast and kicks goals. They're two really good skills but you have to be good in lots of areas and Greene is.

If I was a GWS player then I'd be wanting Toby Greene to be answerable for the fact he let all his teammates down (once again) with a ridiculous suspension at a vital time. I mean contacting an umpire? I don't care how talented you are, you aren't any good to anyone sitting in the stand watching on because you're suspended. 43 other players manage to get through a game without chesting the umpire.

For me it would be close to a sackable offence. Nicky Winmar was a better player and st Kilda showed him the door for a lesser offence.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2021, 09:20 PM

Also has the rather miraculous trick of disappearing for the most important game of the year because he's a schoolyard bully.
The risk factor of that, that the coach has to worry about him doing something stupid at any time basically nullifies a huge part of the advantage he has on the field.

How frustrated would you be today if you were one of his teammates?

I'd take Cameron over him any day of the week.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2021, 09:23 PM
People are being a little bit unfair on Joe Daniher.
Look at the size of him. Look at the way he moves; you know what you're getting.
He doesn't have the nervous system of Tim English, mobile and able to get involved.
He's a forward 50 specialist and needs one other experienced player up therre, which they didn't have due to injury.

He was never ever going to be able to keep up with Easton Wood, track athlete.

It's great for us and great for Easton to see him steaming down the center.

Testekill
05-09-2021, 09:30 PM
The window might be creaking shut if Neale heads back to Freo if the reports are true

https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/piafr1/lachie_neale_is_weighing_up_his_playing_future/

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2021, 10:36 PM
The window might be creaking shut if Neale heads back to Freo if the reports are true

https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/piafr1/lachie_neale_is_weighing_up_his_playing_future/

Yep he wants to go back. Lions having a bad weekend. Like ours two weeks ago.

Happy Days
05-09-2021, 10:52 PM
Those damn umpires forcing Neale out of Brisbane now hey?

GVGjr
05-09-2021, 10:57 PM
Yep he wants to go back. Lions having a bad weekend. Like ours two weeks ago.

And one of the problems will be that his contract with the Lions was front loaded meaning Freo will likely get him at a reduced price.

Should Freo be made to cough up 2 first round picks for him?

Happy Days
05-09-2021, 10:59 PM
And one of the problems will be that his contract with the Lions was front loaded meaning Freo will likely get him at a reduced price.

wow no way

macca
05-09-2021, 11:59 PM

Freo have the upper hand as they know his been overpaid for the first part of his contract
If I was Freo I would let him see the remainder of his contract and let him walk . They need the draft picks to develop the kids especially ones local to WA to address the go home east factor that they are suffering from Cerra.

divvydan
06-09-2021, 12:03 AM
Have to expect the Cerra compensation will basically be moved on for Neale, or at least the bulk of it. Neale by far the better player but at 28, his best is either now or just gone. Cerra turns 22 next month, probably has 200 games in him.

jazzadogs
06-09-2021, 12:07 AM
Yeh I don't actually see a way that Freo satisfy Brisbane, given his contract (2 years to run and front-loaded).

Neale is a great (great!) player but they have a strong developing midfield, and could use their draft picks to bring in some youth in positions of need.

I think this could play out similar to Dunkley last year.

macca
06-09-2021, 12:11 AM
People are being a little bit unfair on Joe Daniher.
Look at the size of him. Look at the way he moves; you know what you're getting.
He doesn't have the nervous system of Tim English, mobile and able to get involved.
He's a forward 50 specialist and needs one other experienced player up therre, which they didn't have due to injury.

He was never ever going to be able to keep up with Easton Wood, track athlete.

It's great for us and great for Easton to see him steaming down the center.

His on 750k a season . If I was a Lions supporter I would be demanding he earnt his money to justify the output
Or else he just becomes a flat track bully . Clubs pay the big money to expect the output

I hold Tom boyd 2016 final series in high regard as he performed against much strong opponents . He delivered when it matter

Not having a go at you, but his on big money and he needs to deliver when it counts . He was found wanting in this game

Ghost Dog
06-09-2021, 12:14 AM
His on 750k a season . If I was a Lions supporter I would be demanding he earnt his money to justify the output
Or else he just becomes a flat track bully . Clubs pay the big money to expect the output

I hold Tom boyd 2016 final series in high regard as he performed against much strong opponents . He delivered when it matter

Not having a go at you, but his on big money and he needs to deliver when it counts . He was found wanting in this game

Good points, I certainly thought he was on a lot less. Didn't know that!
Considering he hardly played for 3 years before being at the lions, they really overpaid.

macca
06-09-2021, 12:16 AM
Good points, I certainly thought he was on a lot less. Didn't know that!
Considering he hardly played for 3 years before being at the lions, they really overpaid.

I hate to say this but I think Essendon won trade week on that one. They have Cox who is an athletic freak who could become anything

boydogs
06-09-2021, 01:13 AM
Daniher had a good year, but doesn't seem quite as athletic as he used to be, he struggled to get separation on Keath

Brisbane have claims on being better than at us at full strength given the outs last night so I wouldn't write them off as future contenders

Topdog
06-09-2021, 08:08 AM
Also has the rather miraculous trick of disappearing for the most important game of the year because he's a schoolyard bully.
The risk factor of that, that the coach has to worry about him doing something stupid at any time basically nullifies a huge part of the advantage he has on the field.

How frustrated would you be today if you were one of his teammates?

I'd take Cameron over him any day of the week.

You are now changing the argument from who is the better player to Greene is a dickhead and potential liability. No one will argue with you on that!
There isn't a single stat that Cameron beat Greene in this season but if you are asking who I'd rather have at the Bulldogs it's Cameron because i absolutely loathe Greene

Ghost Dog
06-09-2021, 09:28 AM
good point
well, I put it all in the same package.
I guess you would also argue someone who gets injured a lot it's not worth having.

Sedat
06-09-2021, 10:31 AM
If I was Brisbane Neale stays for the next 2 years, period. They are in their window and they need to strike in the next 2 years - losing their best player was not part of their build towards a crack at a premiership. Neale is a total pro and will do absolutely everything he can to get the best out of himself for the Lions for the duration of his contract.

I would not entertain any discussion at all.

bornadog
06-09-2021, 10:48 AM
If I was Brisbane Neale stays for the next 2 years, period. They are in their window and they need to strike in the next 2 years - losing their best player was not part of their build towards a crack at a premiership. Neale is a total pro and will do absolutely everything he can to get the best out of himself for the Lions for the duration of his contract.

I would not entertain any discussion at all.

He has a contract till end of 2022. I wonder what his status is after that; is he a free agent?

Mantis
06-09-2021, 10:59 AM
He has a contract till end of 2022. I wonder what his status is after that; is he a free agent?

He's only been at Bris for 3 years so he wouldn't qualify as being a free agent.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2021, 11:05 AM
He's only been at Bris for 3 years so he wouldn't qualify as being a free agent.

I'm pretty sure the time served at Freo counts towards free agency criteria?

Happy Days
06-09-2021, 11:14 AM
So Neale left Freo towards the tail end of a front loaded contract, and is now seeking to leave Brisbane towards the tail end of a front loaded contract?

Gotta respect the shamelessness of it all.

Grantysghost
06-09-2021, 11:27 AM
This isn't a bad reference for FA.

https://i.postimg.cc/P5vDBVPf/Screenshot-20210906-102436-Acrobat-for-Samsung.jpg (https://postimg.cc/v4MDnzrC)

Sedat
06-09-2021, 11:29 AM
I heard he still had 2 years to go? Even with 1 year to run, I'm not trading him for anything. Brisbane are a potential contender with him and are not without him - their midfield is not strong or deep enough to be able to lose its best cog.

bornadog
06-09-2021, 11:31 AM
I heard he still had 2 years to go? Even with 1 year to run, I'm not trading him for anything. Brisbane are a potential contender with him and are not without him - their midfield is not strong or deep enough to be able to lose its best cog.

I took that from Footywire, so could be wrong

Axe Man
06-09-2021, 12:42 PM
I took that from Footywire, so could be wrong

Signed a 5 year deal and has been there for 3, still 2 years to go.

1eyedog
06-09-2021, 12:59 PM
Kick in the guts for the Lions. Like your misso walked out on you and then two days later she sleeps with your best mate. Ouch.

Sedat
06-09-2021, 01:16 PM
Kick in the guts for the Lions. Like your misso walked out on you and then two days later she sleeps with your best mate. Ouch.
Loinchop says hi

1eyedog
06-09-2021, 01:22 PM
Billyvegas

Twodogs
06-09-2021, 01:30 PM

More like sleeping with her ex isn't it?

azabob
06-09-2021, 01:47 PM
Signed a 5 year deal and has been there for 3, still 2 years to go.

Hold on... you have a dedicated thread for contract lengths on opposition players.... but not for our club?

EasternWest
06-09-2021, 02:03 PM
Hold on... you have a dedicated thread for contract lengths on opposition players.... but not for our club?

Crazy isn't it?

Axe Man
06-09-2021, 02:43 PM

I've also got a list of posters who annoy me.

https://i.postimg.cc/K8G1mcZ2/billy.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Twodogs
06-09-2021, 03:16 PM

I've got a kill list. The thing is, the older I've gotten the more people on it have died anyway. It takes away all the fun.

azabob
06-09-2021, 10:12 PM

Phew, I can’t see my name….yet….

Hotdog60
27-10-2021, 11:05 PM
I found this interesting viewing some may not be here's a link:
https://www.afl.com.au/ondemand/original/679544/dynasties?episode=1#collection-1

Dry Rot
18-01-2023, 01:50 PM
With McStay and Adams gone, what does the Lions backline look like for 2023?

bornadog
18-01-2023, 01:53 PM
I think their backline is their biggest weakness.

Mofra
18-01-2023, 02:15 PM
I think their backline is their biggest weakness.
Harris Andrews is quality, and we chased Payne so I think they'll be ok.

But who are their rookies? Guys almost lost to the system who will scrag and fight for everything they get?
We've got Libba, and Toby after two ACLs and I'd argue we need 1-2 more of those types. Gallagher missed his first draft so he might fit that bill.

MrMahatma
18-01-2023, 03:04 PM

Dunkley to FB.

bornadog
18-01-2023, 04:19 PM
Harris Andrews is quality, and we chased Payne so I think they'll be ok.

But who are their rookies? Guys almost lost to the system who will scrag and fight for everything they get?
We've got Libba, and Toby after two ACLs and I'd argue we need 1-2 more of those types. Gallagher missed his first draft so he might fit that bill.

I thought Andrews had a shocking year. Needs to get back to his best, otherwise they are shot.

Happy Days
18-01-2023, 05:39 PM
Yeah agree with BAD. Andrews looked a step slower and leaked a ton of goals last year, and he is very much relied on as a tent pole for their backline. I think Dunkley makes them a significantly better midfield but their main weakness shifted over the course of 2022.

dog town
18-01-2023, 06:14 PM
Andrews was better than 2021 last year in my view but has definitely declined.

The Doctor
18-01-2023, 06:21 PM
Dunkley to FB.

then he will soon be seeking a trade to GWS to be near someone he knows.

GVGjr
18-01-2023, 06:45 PM
Gardiner, Harris, Payne and Lester still gives then some coverage and maybe they can swing Fullerton back there.
They could also look at adding Ethan Phillips as insurance

jeemak
18-01-2023, 07:09 PM
then he will soon be seeking a trade to GWS to be near someone he knows.

I've heard his girlfriend's god parents are from Western Sydney and he's super close with them even though she's not.

Mofra
18-01-2023, 09:11 PM
Dunkley to FB.
We joke, but Ashcroft comes in, Dunkley is tall and can 'go forward', I suspect he isn't getting much more midfield time at the Lions (if any) compared to us.

Then he pushes a young gun like Victorian Lohmann out... McKenna pushes Wilmott out... they're going to lose players and we should be in the ear of anyone good already.

Their depth in KPD posts after Andrews and Payne is Darcy Gardner - and 'ok' 192cm type.

Grantysghost
18-01-2023, 09:28 PM
We joke, but Ashcroft comes in, Dunkley is tall and can 'go forward', I suspect he isn't getting much more midfield time at the Lions (if any) compared to us.

Then he pushes a young gun like Victorian Lohmann out... McKenna pushes Wilmott out... they're going to lose players and we should be in the ear of anyone good already.

Their depth in KPD posts after Andrews and Payne is Darcy Gardner - and 'ok' 192cm type.

Ashcroft is too short ;) Will Phillips mk II.

We should get a nice high pick from them.

mjp
20-01-2023, 01:28 PM
Ashcroft is too short ;) Will Phillips mk II.

Ummm. OK.

Phillips was drafted based on a 17yo season where he played 3rd or 4th midfield banana behind Rowell, Anderson and Williams. He then basically missed his 18yo season due to COVID.

North were going in with the Luff-driven, data-based draft decision making process. Which is fine...but of course Phillips numbers as a bottom-ager were out of whack because of the players around him...

I feel a bit sorry for Luff and North here...and ultimately I think Phillips will be fine even if he never quite lives up to pick 3 status (or whatever it was).

Axe Man
20-01-2023, 01:38 PM
I prefer Wilson Phillips

https://youtu.be/uIbXvaE39wM

Grantysghost
20-01-2023, 02:15 PM
I prefer Wilson Phillips

https://youtu.be/uIbXvaE39wM

It's stuck in my head now for the rest of the day, and you know what.... I'm ok with it.

Grantysghost
20-01-2023, 02:18 PM
Ummm. OK.

Phillips was drafted based on a 17yo season where he played 3rd or 4th midfield banana behind Rowell, Anderson and Williams. He then basically missed his 18yo season due to COVID.

North were going in with the Luff-driven, data-based draft decision making process. Which is fine...but of course Phillips numbers as a bottom-ager were out of whack because of the players around him...

I feel a bit sorry for Luff and North here...and ultimately I think Phillips will be fine even if he never quite lives up to pick 3 status (or whatever it was).
I never get these things wrong MJP.

When your head to body ratio is making Brett Ebert look like he's got Microcephaly you're never going to amount to much.
Of course.....

EasternWest
20-01-2023, 03:31 PM
It's stuck in my head now for the rest of the day, and you know what.... I'm ok with it.

I know that there is pain.

Grantysghost
20-01-2023, 03:43 PM
I know that there is pain.

Why do you lock yourself up in THESE chains.....

GVGjr
20-01-2023, 04:59 PM
Lions are considering a couple of players to cover for Adams.

Rocket Science
28-02-2024, 01:30 PM
https://i.ibb.co/r0WTxCN/Screen-Shot-2024-02-28-at-12-17-30-pm.png (https://ibb.co/jfpBycs)

https://i.ibb.co/2PMWBjq/Screen-Shot-2024-02-28-at-12-30-11-pm.png (https://ibb.co/6btr54Y)

Rocket Science
28-02-2024, 03:32 PM
Sadly some killjoy at the Lions has since had that headline hoiked, can't imagine why.

They really should have thought about that before making it the central theme of their membership drive.

https://i.ibb.co/9GrrQW2/FAILIONS.png (https://ibb.co/t3JJVDc)

jazzadogs
28-02-2024, 09:27 PM
https://i.ibb.co/r0WTxCN/Screen-Shot-2024-02-28-at-12-17-30-pm.png (https://ibb.co/jfpBycs)

https://i.ibb.co/2PMWBjq/Screen-Shot-2024-02-28-at-12-30-11-pm.png (https://ibb.co/6btr54Y)

Tbf it feels better than our approach to a grand final loss, which appears to have been "pretend to erase it from our memory while letting it silently cripple us"

Grantysghost
28-02-2024, 10:20 PM
Tbf it feels better than our approach to a grand final loss, which appears to have been "pretend to erase it from our memory while letting it silently cripple us"

Wiser words have never been spoken.

Rocket Science
29-02-2024, 02:56 PM

Yes, "Bottle it up and never speak of it again" wasn't quite the rallying cry it seemed heading into campaign 2022.

angelopetraglia
30-03-2024, 10:48 AM
Sam McClure has broken a story up at the Brisbane Lions, which he says has caused some ?tough conversations? between the playing group and even delved into the players? personal lives.

https://www.3aw.com.au/sam-mcclures-unfolding-story-up-at-the-brisbane-lions/

angelopetraglia
30-03-2024, 10:50 AM
Sam Landsberger running with a similar story https://x.com/superfooty/status/1773669050989638023?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

angelopetraglia
30-03-2024, 11:00 AM
Supposedly players behaving inappropriately in Vegas including not being faithful to their partners. Messages were picked up back home dude to WhatsApp being on another device allowing supposedly Charlie Cameron?s partner to see all their group messages.

She then shared them with other partners and wives creating a rift in the playing group.

hujsh
30-03-2024, 11:03 AM
Supposedly players behaving inappropriately in Vegas including not being faithful to their partners. Messages were picked up back home dude to WhatsApp being on another device allowing supposedly Charlie Cameron?s partner to see all their group messages.

She then shared them with other partners and wives creating a rift in the playing group.

Well there's an obvious solution here.

Fagan needs to separate Cameron and his partner, making Charlie live with him, so that something like this never happens again.

angelopetraglia
30-03-2024, 11:04 AM
Well there's an obvious solution here.

Fagan needs to separate Cameron and his partner, making Charlie live with him, so that something like this never happens again.

Ouch

Happy Days
30-03-2024, 11:30 AM
When I first heard about this it sounded like the most Big Footy story ever. I cannot believe that it’s real and now I’m re-evaluating everything. Maybe Mark Coughlan really did slip and fall in the shower after all.

weltschmerz
30-03-2024, 12:52 PM
Dunkley left the Bulldogs because he thought some of his teammates were unprofessional...

whythelongface
30-03-2024, 02:45 PM
Dunkley left the Bulldogs because he thought some of his teammates were unprofessional...

Hard not to believe in karma…poor Dunks. Goes to Brisbane because he thinks they are super professional but it ends up they are less professional than most clubs (if these incidents are indeed true). Looks like he will be engaging his Manager to find a new club.

EasternWest
30-03-2024, 04:17 PM
Sam McClure has broken a story up at the Brisbane Lions, which he says has caused some ?tough conversations? between the playing group and even delved into the players? personal lives.

https://www.3aw.com.au/sam-mcclures-unfolding-story-up-at-the-brisbane-lions/

There's lots of things I just don't care about. This is one of them. (Not a dig at you AP).

I'm over the fetishism of footballers and their lives. I just don't care.

ledge
30-03-2024, 04:34 PM
Do we think Dunkley has been better at the lions, the same or worse?
He seemed to get a better write up from the media when he was with us.
Was it a good move ?

Bullies
30-03-2024, 05:12 PM
Was it a good move ? You reap what you sow. He gets what he deserves. He used Lachie and Bailey Smith as being unprofessional with their behaviours and a reason he wanted out.

Happy Days
30-03-2024, 05:18 PM
Was it a good move ?

I’d say Dunkley sucks now, but was he ever actually good?

weltschmerz
30-03-2024, 05:25 PM
Was it a good move ?

He's being played in a solely defensive mid role, rather than a mid pushing forward role like with us. Up to him which he prefers.

Dry Rot
30-03-2024, 05:28 PM
Supposedly players behaving inappropriately in Vegas including not being faithful to their partners. Messages were picked up back home due to WhatsApp

I didn't know that Talia was on the Brisbane Lions list.

hujsh
30-03-2024, 07:09 PM
I?d say Dunkley sucks now, but was he ever actually good?

"Life; it's literally all we have. But is it any good?"

Grantysghost
30-03-2024, 07:55 PM
"Life; it's literally all we have. But is it any good?"
No one on earth chose to be here.

Mofra
30-03-2024, 07:59 PM

One of the cheating players was (allegedly) dating Lyons' sister which is probably where the "rift" story comes from.
Rift is used too much in footy stories. It might just be one player pissed off at another

jazzadogs
30-03-2024, 08:09 PM
There are suggestions on Reddit that the touring party included renowned good bloke Luke Hodge. If he was there, I don't believe any of these stories - no way he'd let something like that happen on his watch!!

hujsh
30-03-2024, 08:12 PM
No one on earth chose to be here.

There all is aching

Grantysghost
30-03-2024, 09:24 PM
There are suggestions on Reddit that the touring party included renowned good bloke Luke Hodge. If he was there, I don't believe any of these stories - no way he'd let something like that happen on his watch!!
Designated driver.

Bulldog4life
31-03-2024, 05:23 AM
One of the cheating players was (allegedly) dating Lyons' sister which is probably where the "rift" story comes from.
Rift is used too much in footy stories. It might just be one player pissed off at another

Lyon was dropped this week too.