PDA

View Full Version : AFL considering a State of Origin revival to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis

Axe Man
08-01-2020, 11:51 AM
AFL considering a State of Origin revival to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-considering-a-state-of-origin-revival-to-support-victims-of-australias-bushfire-crisis/news-story/9265ad2d8187c5269667dd66f8e0f865)

More than 20 years after the last State of Origin match was played, the AFL is considering reviving the concept to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis. And the game’s biggest names are queuing up to play.

State of Origin could be revived in aid of the devastating bushfire crisis that has engulfed the country.

The Herald Sun last night revealed that the AFL is considering staging a game of representative football among current AFL stars among a raft of initiatives on the table to support bushfire-ravaged communities in Victoria and beyond.

The league – which has spent recent days formulating its support for those affected by the extensive fires in East Gippsland, the Alpine region of Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia – has debated a range of fundraising initiatives.

A State of Origin match – the likes of which has not been played for almost 21 years – between two teams comprised of current AFL players has emerged as a frontrunner and could be held as soon as next month.

The potential move has been met with early support from some of the game’s biggest names, with AFL Players’ Association president and Geelong champ Patrick Dangerfield quick to back the fundraiser.

“Let’s make it happen!” Dangerfield wrote on Twitter after the Herald Sun last night revealed the possible Origin revival.

Collingwood skipper Scott Pendlebury said “bring it back”, while star ruckmen Max Gawn and Nic Naitanui – who could potentially line-up against one another – were also quick to put their hand up for any Origin game.

The AFL confirmed on Tuesday that discussions were continuing for short-term fundraising initiatives, along with long-term support to help communities and regional clubs impacted by the fires.

It is understood Marvel Stadium is being considered as a venue for the representative clash with a potential match date of February 28.

On Wednesday morning the League said it was considering an ‘All-Stars’ match, perhaps similar to the one staged in 2008.

bulldogtragic
08-01-2020, 12:11 PM
Mooted: Victoria vs All Stars (from all other states). Second week of preseason comp. No more than 4 players per club selected, and the players who play in this game and sit out a club preseason game.

I hope it happens. From the fundraising but also putting in a rep game each preseason.

comrade
08-01-2020, 01:46 PM
If the players are getting behind it, it’ll happen. I like the idea, just praying for no injuries.

bulldogtragic
08-01-2020, 02:23 PM
If the players are getting behind it, it’ll happen. I like the idea, just praying for no injuries.

My guess is it will be a little 'bruise free footy' almost as if they'd just played a first or second preseason game. I wonder if it helps our guys progression through their preseasons?

If we have a maximum 4 players. I wonder who they could be? Naughton can't be risked. So maybe Bonts, Macrae, Hunter & Dunkley? Maybe English to join Nic Nat rucking for the All Stars? (If Grundy didn't play)

Axe Man
08-01-2020, 02:30 PM
You would think it would be an NBA All Star type game - not taken too seriously, nothing rough, nice skills on display, little defence and high scoring. Just a bit of light entertainment and a nice little fundraiser for the bushfires.

Of course there is always the risk of injury, players even seem to manage to hurt themselves doing innocuous activities far removed from the footy field.

Mofra
08-01-2020, 02:42 PM
If we have a maximum 4 players. I wonder who they could be? Naughton can't be risked. So maybe Bonts, Macrae, Hunter & Dunkley? Maybe English to join Nic Nat rucking for the All Stars? (If Grundy didn't play)
Not sure anyone would ask for three starting mids from one team + wing.

I suspect JJ gets a run for the all stars, Bont and Hunter for Vic.

bornadog
08-01-2020, 03:01 PM
AFL.com.au Teams

Victoria

B: Tom Stewart (Geelong), Daniel Talia (Adelaide), Adam Saad (Essendon)
HB: James Sicily (Hawthorn), Michael Hurley (Essendon), Sam Docherty (Carlton)
C: Jack Macrae (WB), Dustin Martin (Richmond), Zach Merrett (Essendon)
HF: Shaun Higgins (North Melbourne), Tom Lynch (Richmond), Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide)
F: Toby Greene (GWS), Jeremy Cameron (GWS), Jordan De Goey (Collingwood)
R: Max Gawn (Melbourne), Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong), Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
Int: Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood), Clayton Oliver (Melbourne), Ben Cunnington (North Melbourne), Sam Walsh (Carlton), Gary Ablett (Geelong), Rowan Marshall (St Kilda)

All Stars (NSW, Queensland, Tasmania, NT, South Australia and Western Australia)

B: Rory Laird (Adelaide), Steven May (Melbourne), Dane Rampe (Sydney)
HB: Brodie Smith (Adelaide), Harris Andrews (Brisbane), Shannon Hurn (West Coast)
C: Bradley Hill (St Kilda), Patrick Cripps (Carlton), Tim Kelly (West Coast)
HF: Charlie Cameron (Brisbane), Jack Riewoldt (Richmond), Isaac Heeney (Sydney)
F: Michael Walters (Fremantle), Ben Brown (North Melbourne), Aaron Naughton (Western Bulldogs)
R: Brodie Grundy (Collingwood), Nat Fyfe (Fremantle), Lachie Neale (Brisbane)
Int: Tom Mitchell (Hawthorn), Stephen Coniglio (GWS), Elliot Yeo (West Coast), Alex Sexton (Gold Coast), Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide), Jarrod Witts (Gold Coast)

Mofra
08-01-2020, 03:17 PM
I had no idea Rampe was from NSW, only knew him as a Willy player.

bornadog
08-01-2020, 04:15 PM
How the AFL side can pick Gary Ablett is beyond me. Is this a team by reputation or best players?

Axe Man
08-01-2020, 04:20 PM
Herald Suns effort:
https://i.postimg.cc/Zqcm7vBs/image.jpg (https://postimg.cc/67yFT3hC)
https://i.postimg.cc/dQXYxY3F/image.jpg (https://postimg.cc/w3hZ1nD4)

bornadog
08-01-2020, 05:41 PM
Herald Suns effort:
https://i.postimg.cc/Zqcm7vBs/image.jpg (https://postimg.cc/67yFT3hC)
https://i.postimg.cc/dQXYxY3F/image.jpg (https://postimg.cc/w3hZ1nD4)

They can't even put in the reigning Premiership coach.

Axe Man
08-01-2020, 05:58 PM
They can't even put in the Premiership coach.

Which one? Of current coaches Clarkson has won 4 v Hardwick 2 and Bevo/Scott/Simpson 1 each from Victoria.

For the Allies I think it's just Longmire v Worsfold with 1 each.

Don't think the coaches are going to matter much anyway, it's just a ceremonial role.

bornadog
08-01-2020, 06:01 PM
Which one? Of current coaches Clarkson has won 4 v Hardwick 2 and Bevo/Scott/Simpson 1 each from Victoria.

For the Allies I think it's just Longmire v Worsfold with 1 each.

Don't think the coaches are going to matter much anyway, it's just a ceremonial role.

ok Fixed - should be reigning

To tell you the truth, I don't want any Bulldogs players playing. Great cause to raise money, otherwise means nothing.

I have never been a fan of SOO

ledge
08-01-2020, 06:16 PM
How the AFL side can pick Gary Ablett is beyond me. Is this a team by reputation or best players?

All stars so it would definitley include Gary.

ledge
08-01-2020, 06:19 PM
They can't even put in the reigning Premiership coach.

I would say the players would get a say in if they want to play in it and the smallest niggle would keep them out, so don’t be surprised if a few all stars aren’t playing.
Basically picked by players who put their hand up.
I dread the thought of a player getting a major injury.

mjp
09-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Basically picked by players who put their hand up.
I dread the thought of a player getting a major injury.

Players PLAY.

Injury, smin-jury. PLAY.

This *SHOULD* be the highest level of footy (and most eye candy footy) we ever get to watch. I 100% get that we can't (and shouldn't) do it in season but playing during the 2nd round of pre-season is surely a compromise that even the staunchest critics of the concept can get behind. As for coaches who worry this is impacting on 'their' season? Well, name me a side that finished the season last year with the same 'systems and structures' with which they exited the pre-season game looking ahead to the season 'with confidence'...NONE. Hell, Richmond played a 1st gamer on grand final day and he seemed F-I-N-E...so much for 'needing' that extra pre-season game in the 'system' to get ready. Give me a break.

Stephenson missed 9 weeks after visiting a TAB last year (and the visit might have been via his mobile phone for all I know!), I have no doubt some of them have missed with strained thumbs due to excessive playing of NBA2K and some of the other off-field misadventures we have seen/heard over the years...a state of origin game is not the worst thing that can happen or biggest threat to player welfare.

Players PLAY. Yes, someone will (no doubt) get injured. But they equally could have been injured in the pre-season game or training session they are MISSING...

comrade
09-01-2020, 12:15 PM
Players PLAY. Yes, someone will (no doubt) get injured. But they equally could have been injured in the pre-season game or training session they are MISSING...

Yeah, that's the key point.

There are games already scheduled for this time anyway so there's always risk of injury. May as well slot the SoO game in, raise a bunch of money and we get to see the best of the best on the same field which is pretty cool.

Just play the other pre-season games that week as normal with the players selected in the exhibition match being rested.

Mofra
09-01-2020, 12:18 PM
Yeah, that's the key point.

There are games already scheduled for this time anyway so there's always risk of injury. May as well slot the SoO game in, raise a bunch of money and we get to see the best of the best on the same field which is pretty cool.
Bingo. It's not 'extra' football that has the sports scientists so concerned about loading, it's a replacement for one meaningless JLT game.

I suspect any SOO has the same extended bench too as that means bigger teams = more stars = more interest from fans who get top see 'their' players don the big V or Allied jumper equivalent.

Axe Man
09-01-2020, 01:29 PM
Apparently confirmed for Friday 28th February at Marvel Stadium.

Fits in well with our pre-season games scheduled for 21st February and 7th March.

Teams will be coached by Damien Hardwick (Victoria) and John Longmire (All Stars). Looks like you got your wish BAD!

Axe Man
09-01-2020, 01:56 PM
AFL confirms State of Origin match, makes massive donation (https://www.afl.com.au/news/365314/afl-confirms-state-of-origin-match-makes-massive-donation)

THE AFL has announced a landmark State of Origin match to raise funds for the Australian bushfire disaster in addition to a monster donation to support relief efforts.

Victoria will play an All Stars line-up on Friday February 28, with money raised to boost a Community Relief Fund set-up by the AFL to help rebuild football facilities ripped apart by the national crisis.

Richmond premiership coach Damien Hardwick will lead the Victorians and Sydney counterpart John Longmire will coach the All Stars in the match to be staged at Marvel Stadium.

The AFL ($1.35m) – in association with the clubs ($900,000) and AFL Players Association ($250,000) – have committed a $2.5million donation.

A total of $1m will provide immediate emergency assistance through the Australian Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery fund. An additional $1.5m will kickstart the Community Relief Fund for grassroots facilities.

The match – to be played during the second weekend of the pre-season March Community Series – will see players selected in a process still to be determined.

There will be a maximum of three players per AFL club eligible to take part in the match to ensure minimal disruption to club's pre-season plans just 20 days before round one.

Essendon's trip to face West Coast at Lathlain Park in the Marsh Series – also fixtured for February 28 – has been move to the day before.

The AFLW match between Collingwood and Melbourne scheduled for Friday February 28 at Victoria Park will now be played at Marvel Stadium to create a double header.

It is the first game of its kind since the 2008 Hall of Fame Tribute Match that saw Victoria beat the Dream Team by 17 points in front of a 69,294 fans at the MCG.

The match will be broadcast on Channel Seven, Fox Footy, the AFL Live Official App, Kayo and various radio partners.

League chief executive Gillon McLachlan said he was blown away by the reaction to the cause.

"Our industry is heartbroken by the devastation that the fires are causing around the country and our clubs and players have suggested a number of initiatives where we can support affected communities in the short and longer term as they deal with the aftermath of these fires, he said.

"A game of footy can't change what has happened but it is a way for all of our clubs, our players and our fans to acknowledge the incredible sacrifice that so many have made in battling the fires and to support those communities that have been impacted by the bushfires."

"We know that those communities are suffering now but they are also going to need our support as they start to rebuild. Sport builds bonds within communities and we want people to know they have the support of the entire football industry and that we will be there to help them rebuild facilities and programs and ensure people continue to come together.

"The State of Origin game will help raise further funds to support that ongoing rebuild.

"I want to thank our players and clubs for their commitment to doing something substantial that raises money and clearly demonstrates the support to the local football communities of those areas impacted.

"Our clubs and our AFL and AFLW players are also working on a number of other initiatives to raise money and to support those communities in need and we will continue to work with them over the coming weeks and months to continue to coordinate our efforts.

"On behalf of the AFL community, I also want to thank firefighters, members of the have given up their time – and in some cases their lives – to protect others. We are grateful for what you have done for our community."

Geelong superstar and AFLPA president Patrick Dangerfield said the players were all behind the cause.

"It was an immediate 'yes' when the State of Origin concept was put to players by the AFLPA. We, like everyone, are heartbroken and desperate to help," he said.

"We're committed to putting on a great event for fans and hopefully raise a significant amount of money.

"In addition to committing to this match, we're proud to be able to make a $250,000 donation on behalf of all male and female players, which will be split amongst various charities to support those affected."

AFLW clubs will also support the fundraising efforts by housing donation collecting points at matches in the upcoming season starting February 7.

bulldogtragic
09-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Bonts, Macrae & English/JJ ??

(Naughton still being managed)

Axe Man
09-01-2020, 04:01 PM
Bonts, Macrae & English/JJ ??

(Naughton still being managed)

I think there would be a fair few ruckmen ahead of English. Caleb could be a chance for the All Stars.

It's not going to be all the absolute best players in the land. Obviously there will be those that are unavailable, after that it's a selection of 2 or 3 players from every club.

bulldogtragic
09-01-2020, 04:30 PM
I'd like to see ideally every club chips in 3 players. For 54 players, 2 X 27 player teams. So 9 player interchanges.

Three rucks a side (roughly 10 min a quarter of actual rucking). So starting on the bench 2 rucks, another KPP & 6 mids/flankers. Unlimited interchanging. 20 mins plus time on quarters. Clubs to have some input about total minutes to be played by their players.

I don't mind the 9 point goal from outside the 50 if the NAB put up $10,000 a super goal or something like that. Gentle umpiring.

It should hopefully keep the risk of any injuries low.

All club cheer squads offered seats adjoining each other (at ticket prices) for comradarie. I liked that about attending SoO games.

Mofra
09-01-2020, 05:12 PM
I think there would be a fair few ruckmen ahead of English.
Brodie Grundy and NicNat for a start.

I'd imagine Vics will go with Gawn, and Goldstein if they want a second ruck.

Twodogs
09-01-2020, 07:34 PM

Luke Darcy did his knee at the last session before Christmas. It was a stinking hot day, I remember Jim saying "why didn't Rocket just call the session off and head to the pub.

GVGjr
09-01-2020, 07:44 PM
Our best players should be pleading their case to play in this and I hope our clubs makes them available if they are fit enough
It's an awesome opportunity for the players

Axe Man
10-01-2020, 05:16 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/q7xZbP6y/soa.jpg (https://postimg.cc/v1DzDSzZ)

Spot the error...

comrade
11-01-2020, 08:45 AM
Josh Dunkley is NOT a forward...and he’s also a Victorian :D

bornadog
11-01-2020, 02:27 PM
Josh Dunkley is NOT a forward...and he’s also a Victorian :D

Born in Sydney ;)

Axe Man
13-01-2020, 10:29 AM
Born in Sydney ;)

Still a Victorian.

bornadog
13-01-2020, 01:15 PM
Still a Victorian.

How does SOO work? I thought it was based on where you are born

bulldogtragic
13-01-2020, 01:25 PM

Makey upey. Dunstall played for Victoria & The Allies. Carey played for NSW & SA.

bornadog
13-01-2020, 01:26 PM
Makey upey. Dunstall played for Victoria & The Allies. Carey played for NSW & SA.

I really hate the Admin of the AFL

Twodogs
13-01-2020, 01:32 PM

It used to be where you were registered to play at the age of 16. Then they started to chip away at the eligibility criteria.

Axe Man
14-01-2020, 11:18 AM
It used to be where you were registered to play at the age of 16. Then they started to chip away at the eligibility criteria.

Yeah I thought it was something along the lines of where you played the majority of your junior footy (apart from when they operated under partial rules that allowed the likes of Dunstall and Carey to play for other states).

Twodogs
14-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Yeah I thought it was something along the lines of where you played the majority of your junior footy (apart from when they operated under partial rules that allowed the likes of Dunstall and Carey to play for other states).

They started to chip away at the criteria because they were obsessed with seeing how a forward line with Lockett and Dunstall would operate. Then it was Carey...

BornInDroopSt'54
15-01-2020, 04:26 PM
The Whitten medal will be revived and take its place alongside the Brownlow, Norm Smith, Coleman etc.

bulldogtragic
15-01-2020, 07:04 PM
The Whitten medal will be revived and take its place alongside the Brownlow, Norm Smith, Coleman etc.

I guess Boomer Harvey will have to change his business cards, now no longer being the last man to be awarded the EJ Whitten Medal.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-01-2020, 10:22 PM
I guess Boomer Harvey will have to change his business cards, now no longer being the last man to be awarded the EJ Whitten Medal.

Haha. Hopefully Macrae wins it this time.

Axe Man
16-01-2020, 10:55 AM
Mate v mate: How the Vic v All Stars teams will be picked (https://www.afl.com.au/news/366068?fbclid=IwAR1jxEol7EMB3p33keIAu6s8AWegaRGbXOQZYqY2RbqX 4Yg4084V0qa-Jsw)

CLUBS will hold the selection power for next month's State of Origin bushfire relief match after each receiving a shortlist of names from the AFL on Wednesday.

Eight players – four for Victoria and four the All Stars – were put forward by the AFL that clubs will be required to confirm as fit to play for the Victoria v All Stars match at Marvel Stadium on Friday, February 28.

Victorian coach Damien Hardwick and All Stars counterpart John Longmire will then select their squads of 27 on Tuesday, February 18. A maximum of three players per AFL club will be eligible to feature across the two playing lists.

The final teams will be announced on AFL.com.au on Wednesday, February 26.

Each team will have a starting 18, six interchange players and three emergencies.

A player's best and fairest finish and the 2019 Virgin Australia AFL All-Australian squad were heavily favoured in the process of selecting eight names from each club on Wednesday.

Players including Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield, Melbourne's three-time All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn, Collingwood's five-time club champion Scott Pendlebury, GWS Coleman medallist Jeremy Cameron and West Coast's talismanic big man Nic Naitanui have all put their hands up to play.

Currently injured players – including Sydney superstar Lance Franklin and Gold Coast co-captain Jarrod Witts – were not considered in the eight names in liaison with clubs.

International-born players will also be eligible for selection for the All Stars.

The match will start at 7.50pm AEDT with an NAB AFL Women's match for premiership points between Collingwood and Melbourne to be played as a curtain raiser at 5.40pm.

All funds raised from the match will support the Community Relief Fund that has been set up by the AFL to help rebuild local football facilities torn apart by the national bushfire crisis.

The AFL, clubs and AFLPA have donated $1.5 million to the fund, with a further $1 million going to immediate relief.

Both teams will train at Marvel Stadium on Thursday, February 27.

Details on ticket sales for the match are expected to be announced in coming days.

The match will be broadcast on Channel Seven, Fox Footy, the AFL Live Official App, Kayo and various radio partners.

Axe Man
16-01-2020, 11:05 AM
My guess at the 8 players put forward by the AFL:

Victoria
Bont
Macrae
Dunkley
Hunter
(Wood or Crozier a chance if they need defenders)

All Stars
JJ
Daniel
Suckling
Bruce
(Assuming Naughton not nominated due to injury, English a chance if they need rucks)

Twodogs
16-01-2020, 01:06 PM
English a chance if they need rucks

What rucks are available for the All Stars?

Axe Man
16-01-2020, 01:18 PM
What rucks are available for the All Stars?

Grundy and Nic Nat the obvious ones. After that Lycett, Ryder, Jacobs off the top of my head. Witts just got injured so he's out. Of course it depends who picks up "niggles" between now and then.

Twodogs
16-01-2020, 01:32 PM
Grundy and Nic Nat the obvious ones. After that Lycett, Ryder, Jacobs off the top of my head. Witts just got injured so he's out. Of course it depends who picks up "niggles" between now and then.

I'd love my players playing in a game like this. The uptempo nature of the game would top the preseason preparation off nicely.

Mitcha
16-01-2020, 06:11 PM
I'd love my players playing in a game like this. The uptempo nature of the game would top the preseason preparation off nicely.
Seriously? This will be nothing like an intense contest, players will be wanting to honour the cause but will be doing everything to ensure they avoid injury. Will be little body contact and similar to a slightly more athletic E J Whitten exhibiton game. No injuries please.

Twodogs
16-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Seriously? This will be nothing like an intense contest, players will be wanting to honour the cause but will be doing everything to ensure they avoid injury. Will be little body contact and similar to a slightly more athletic E J Whitten exhibiton game. No injuries please.

Maybe that's the idea but as soon as you put 44 competitive blokes on the field and say "good luck boys. This will be the only SOO game in the foreseeable future so whoever wins is the best SOO team for at least the next ten years. But don't be too competitive." They might say yes at first but the first time one of them gets knocked off the ball then their competitiveness will kick in and it will be on for young and old.

mjp
17-01-2020, 12:38 AM
This will be the only SOO game in the foreseeable future so whoever wins is the best SOO team for at least the next ten years.

A lot of players actually do care about their legacy and will want to play and play well.

Every year at the Hall of Fame, state games and medals - and All Australian awards handed out post 'carnival' - are offered up to justify the inclusion of a player. A lot of players want 'that'. If selection is seen by the players as 'fair' - and some are already unhappy at what they see as the bias of club coaches impacting on the sides - then they are going to have a real crack at this.

Ultimately it would be 'better' if this year was Vic vs SA and next year, Vic vs WA but whatchagonnado???

Mofra
17-01-2020, 09:41 AM
Will be interesting when Toby Greene and the Bont line up in the same team. Might see a bit of 'Warwick Capper at the Bears' kind of vibe.

Twodogs
17-01-2020, 01:06 PM
Will be interesting when Toby Greene and the Bont line up in the same team. Might see a bit of 'Warwick Capper at the Bears' kind of vibe.

I heard Brad Hardie talking on 1278 about Capper's arrival at the Bears and his attempts to make friends with him. Took him to the TAB and Capper walks in and yells "Woza's here!" and Hardie thinks "Oh for *!*!*!*!s sake. This is Brisbane and nobody knows you"

bornadog
17-02-2020, 03:19 PM
Corey joins All Star coaching team (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/564228/corey-joins-all-star-coaching-team/)

Axe Man
18-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Bont, Macrae and JJ the only Bulldogs named, we have gotten off lightly.

bulldogtragic
18-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Bont, Macrae and JJ the only Bulldogs named, we have gotten off lightly.

3 player cap, per club wasn’t it?

I hope it’s a great game and FFS no injuries.

bulldogtragic
18-02-2020, 01:32 PM
And I hope we can tag JJ out of the game. Go Vics!

The Underdog
18-02-2020, 01:32 PM

I hope it’s a great game and FFS no injuries.

No, they scrapped that the other day.

Axe Man
18-02-2020, 01:35 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/nzWknTDM/ALLSTARS-Squad-2020.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9RGTpd1j)

https://i.postimg.cc/MHjYHR75/VICTORIAN-Squad-2020.jpg (https://postimg.cc/QKh7nFnK)

Axe Man
18-02-2020, 01:37 PM

Yep, 6 players each from Richmond and GWS.

Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne and Gold Coast with only 1 player named.

comrade
18-02-2020, 01:56 PM

Shame we didn't get to see Jake 'Borderline Flying' Stringer stretch the Big V over his guts.

comrade
18-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Pretty good sides, Vics should win.

bulldogtragic
18-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Yep, 6 players each from Richmond and GWS.

Ok. Three is way better than 6. Good to see the 'big' clubs have gun players dominating the squads.

bornadog
18-02-2020, 02:04 PM
As usual there are players picked on reputation not on form from last year.

hujsh
18-02-2020, 02:20 PM

It's a fundraiser meant to get people to watch and donate. Of course they used reputation as a big part of picking a side. There's no stakes in the match and it's not an official honour like AA.

No point in complaining about it.

Axe Man
18-02-2020, 02:34 PM

Who are you referring to?

Out of the top 10 in the Brownlow last year Tim Kelly is the only player missing due to being 'managed'.

I can't see too many issues with the squads selected, most of the best players are involved.

AshMac
18-02-2020, 02:54 PM

Was thinking exact same thing!

Be interesting to watch them both in the forward line.

soupman
18-02-2020, 03:10 PM
How did Callum Mills make the cut? Do not rate

bornadog
18-02-2020, 03:22 PM
It's a fundraiser meant to get people to watch and donate. Of course they used reputation as a big part of picking a side. There's no stakes in the match and it's not an official honour like AA.

No point in complaining about it.

Who is complaining? Just an observation

How did Callum Mills make the cut? Do not rate

Who are you referring to?

See above, plus even though I highly rate Josh Kelly, he is coming from a long way behind, Adam Saad a dud who can't defend himself, Robbie Gray passed it just to name a few

mjp
18-02-2020, 04:13 PM
I can't see too many issues with the squads selected, most of the best players are involved.

100%

Bounce the ball...let's go.

This will be great. I'm hoping for a 1986 SOO type scoreboard:

WEST AUSTRALIA 4.4 9.5 15.10 21. 11 (137)
VICTORIA 4.5 7.7 12.10 20.14 (134)

Goals WA: Peake 7, Buckenara 5, MacNish 3, Mitchell 3, Rioli 2, Baker, Wilson
Goals VIC: Weightman 5, Royal 5, Taylor 4, Brereton 3, Alvin, Bews, Healy

Simpson Medal: Brad Hardie (WA)
E.J. Whitten Medal: Dale Weightman (Vic)

Amusing note post 85 prelim: Hardie won the medal but he played on Royal and Weightman. Look at how many they kicked! Brad was a helluva player, but man-o-man he ran his own race.

I watched this game a couple of weeks back and I swear every time the commentators named a player it was followed by the words "He's lining up for number 4"...so many goals kicked...so much fun.

bornadog
24-02-2020, 06:54 PM
Anyone going on Friday Night? It will certainly be a skillful match and will be great to see how the teams play.

GVGjr
24-02-2020, 06:59 PM
Anyone going on Friday Night? It will certainly be a skillful match and will be great to see how the teams play.

I get the sense that most people think it's an exhibition game, elite players are very talented but they also normally have a competitive streak in them. It won't take much for them to go hard.

I might get there on Friday

westdog54
25-02-2020, 11:22 AM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/377742/state-of-origin-numbers-which-superstar-pulled-rank-on-no-4-

Dusty gets the #4 Guernsey by virtue of most games played whilst wearing it. Bont gets #7. Toby Greene, Shaun Higgins and Jade Gresham were all next in the pecking order.

JJ gets bumped from #40 by Neville Jetta on the same principle. He'll wear #40.

Jack Macrae keeps his #11.

Mofra
25-02-2020, 12:43 PM
Cunnington out, Gaff in.

Pretty handy replacement - arguably the best wingman in the competition not named Hill.

bornadog
28-02-2020, 09:36 PM
No atmosphere in this game

bornadog
28-02-2020, 09:41 PM
Victoria full of 30 year olds with no pace. All stairs are very fleet of foot

chef
28-02-2020, 10:07 PM
No atmosphere in this game

Understandable considering its just an exhibition game.

Eastdog
28-02-2020, 11:41 PM
Vic power!!

Remi Moses
28-02-2020, 11:46 PM
Haven’t mallacoota suffered enough
Now Lingy

bornadog
29-02-2020, 12:33 AM
The Bont did well tonight, considering he played mostly out of position

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ER3KileX0AEmg8a?format=jpg&name=900x900

18 disposals, five score involvements, four entries, four clearances, 22 pressure acts, 401 metres gained, two goals.

Macrae and JJ both picked up 17 touches. Looks like Macrae played wing, didn't see him in the middle once.

Game had little defence, with players running up and down the ground at will

ledge
29-02-2020, 10:51 AM
The Bont did well tonight, considering he played mostly out of position

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ER3KileX0AEmg8a?format=jpg&name=900x900

18 disposals, five score involvements, four entries, four clearances, 22 pressure acts, 401 metres gained, two goals.

Macrae and JJ both picked up 17 touches. Looks like Macrae played wing, didn't see him in the middle once.

Game had little defence, with players running up and down the ground at will

Was always going to be bruise free , I’m Just glad no injuries of any sort.
Wasn’t JJ exceptional with his run and delivery in the first quarter, if he can do that with the forwards we have we will have an unstoppable year.

bornadog
29-02-2020, 11:13 AM
Was always going to be bruise free , I’m Just glad no injuries of any sort.
Wasn’t JJ exceptional with his run and delivery in the first quarter, if he can do that with the forwards we have we will have an unstoppable year.
Yeah he actually hit some targets

AshMac
29-02-2020, 12:01 PM
I went to the game last night and noticed something I found interesting.

During the second quarter - Bont kicked a goal and the next goal was kicked by Greene.

When Bont kicked the goal - a bunch of boys ran over to him. Greene turned and walked away.

When Greene kicked his goal 3 mins later, the team turned and walked away from him bar the closest guy to him. I watched Bont turn away, take 2 steps then turn back walk over and congratulate him.

It wasn’t the forum to unleash on Greene but Bonti is genuinely a cut above in every single way.

bornadog
29-02-2020, 12:50 PM
I went to the game last night and noticed something I found interesting.

During the second quarter - Bont kicked a goal and the next goal was kicked by Greene.

When Bont kicked the goal - a bunch of boys ran over to him. Greene turned and walked away.

When Greene kicked his goal 3 mins later, the team turned and walked away from him bar the closest guy to him. I watched Bont turn away, take 2 steps then turn back walk over and congratulate him.

It wasn’t the forum to unleash on Greene but Bonti is genuinely a cut above in every single way.

Dickhead commentators trying to say Greene has won the crowd over. I doubt that very much.

From what you describe, the other players know he is a shit bloke.