PDA

View Full Version : You want a top 4 finish or even a flag in 2020? Then what do we need to do to improve?

Dry Rot
29-01-2020, 02:15 AM
Came across this article about Wood from The Age:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-pieces-are-there-bulldogs-bullish-about-new-season-20200128-p53vbv.html

Mostly pre season fluff but had some interesting stuff. This caught my eye:

The Bulldogs conceded 86 goals to opposition key forwards last season - the third most of any side.

That's dreadful, and one area we really need to improve on to make top 4 and have a shot at the flag.

Have also read that we had some dreadful ruck stats too.

What else do we need to do?

Mofra
29-01-2020, 09:45 AM
Ruck stats aren't the biggest concern given we were basically pumping games into a very raw Tim English to fast track his development. He was a far superior player at the end of the year than he was at the start, not sure I've seen many players improve that much over the course of one season.

The conceding goals might be a few factors - personnel (helped by adding Keath), structure, gameplan, team selection etc. We played Cordy and Wood as our two KPDs for the first month last year, that was never sustainable.

Given we seem to favour interceptors over lock down defenders it might be something that continues, and our aim would be to mitigate it a litte rather than solve it outright.

ledge
29-01-2020, 10:11 AM
Would be interesting to break those stats down into start , middle and late season to see if we improved in those areas during the year, if so we are on an upside track anyway.
Adding our recruits will only improve it more , I see top 4 if we aren’t injury struck and the players all buy into the game plan/style.

bornadog
29-01-2020, 10:17 AM
The Bulldogs conceded 86 goals to opposition key forwards last season - the third most of any side.

This stat was particularly bad in the first half of the season, but you will find in the second half we tightened this up and we had one of the better defenses overall.

comrade
29-01-2020, 11:11 AM
Cordy is one of the worst one on on defenders in the league, so our key forward GA numbers aren't a surprise. Here's hoping the addition of Keath has a flow on effect, allowing Cordy to take more suitable types.

AshMac
30-01-2020, 09:00 AM
We need to learn how to step up in physical, close checking games. Not talking about the ridiculous behaviour that was let go in the GWS game - but games where the team comes with a strategy to negate us.

Twodogs
30-01-2020, 01:19 PM
We need to learn how to step up in physical, close checking games. Not talking about the ridiculous behaviour that was let go in the GWS game - but games where the team comes with a strategy to negate us.

And that is going to be the go to tactic every team is going to hit us (excuse the pun) with this season. It will be "hit them hard and hit them often." "The ball is seventy metres away, knock your nearest opponent on his arse just so he knows you are thinking about him and what will happen if he gets the ball in his hands"

AshMac
01-02-2020, 08:13 PM
And that is going to be the go to tactic every team is going to hit us (excuse the pun) with this season. It will be "hit them hard and hit them often." "The ball is seventy metres away, knock your nearest opponent on his arse just so he knows you are thinking about him and what will happen if he gets the ball in his hands"

Yep - it will happen a lot. We need to respond, early and in kind. Stamp our authority all over those situations and teach the league it isn’t worth it.

I wish SO BADLY we played GWS in Melbourne the first time.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-02-2020, 12:22 PM
We need to improve goal kicking accuracy and should do that with Bruce and Weightman. I still think accuracy is a mental thing requiring belief, dismissing anxiety and is improved by practice. Just like golf putting, both involve time to doubt yet doubt can be replaced by a positive image, visualisation. This should be taught and practised.

GVGjr
02-02-2020, 12:28 PM
Cordy is one of the worst one on on defenders in the league, so our key forward GA numbers aren't a surprise. Here's hoping the addition of Keath has a flow on effect, allowing Cordy to take more suitable types.

Is Keath a one on one defender? I would have thought he has made more of a name for himself as a zoning defender type

GVGjr
02-02-2020, 12:30 PM
This stat was particularly bad in the first half of the season, but you will find in the second half we tightened this up and we had one of the better defenses overall.

I think it started to improve when Trengove was brought back into the seniors

GVGjr
02-02-2020, 12:36 PM
We need to improve goal kicking accuracy and should do that with Bruce and Weightman. I still think accuracy is a mental thing requiring belief, dismissing anxiety and is improved by practice. Just like golf putting, both involve time to doubt yet doubt can be replaced by a positive image, visualisation. This should be taught and practised.

Dropping the ball onto the foot incorrectly is an issue with technique and concentration
A player missing 3 set shots to the same side of the goal (in a dome) is something that can be fixed

I agree, it's often just about education and practice. A 20% improvement is very achievable

comrade
02-02-2020, 05:22 PM
Is Keath a one on one defender? I would have thought he has made more of a name for himself as a zoning defender type

He's an interceptor for sure, but I'm hopeful that by slotting him into the defensive group it should assist with the overall structure and protect Cordy from competing in as many 1 on 1 contests.

Twodogs
03-02-2020, 12:28 AM
Dropping the ball onto the foot incorrectly is an issue with technique and concentration
A player missing 3 set shots to the same side of the goal (in a dome) is something that can be fixed

I agree, it's often just about education and practice. A 20% improvement is very achievable

I think that it depends on what foot the player kicks with. A football will fade and draw the same as a golf ball depending on whether its a left handed or a right handed player. In fact goalkicking technique marrys up nicely with driving a golfball off the tee.

chef
03-02-2020, 09:06 AM
I don't think we need to improve a heap, we just need to play consistently at our best. We are as good as any when we do.

Mofra
03-02-2020, 10:03 AM
I don't think we need to improve a heap, we just need to play consistently at our best. We are as good as any when we do.
Gold Coast, St Kilda, North, Carlton.

We improve our consistency, we win those four games.

Bulldog4life
04-02-2020, 07:08 PM

An interesting article by Nathan Burke last year mentioning how Peter Hudson helped Stewart Lowe's accuracy in front of goal.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/afl/2019/05/12/nathan-burke-goalkicking-the-skill-afl-players-have-lost/

BornInDroopSt'54
04-02-2020, 11:02 PM
An interesting article by Nathan Burke last year mentioning how Peter Hudson helped Stewart Lowe's accuracy in front of goal.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/afl/2019/05/12/nathan-burke-goalkicking-the-skill-afl-players-have-lost/
"Run straight, drop straight, kick straight"
Funny thing about Hudson was he kicked flat punts. No-one before or since kicked flat punts yet he was the greatest of all time. Go figure.

ledge
05-02-2020, 11:31 AM
"Run straight, drop straight, kick straight"
Funny thing about Hudson was he kicked flat punts. No-one before or since kicked flat punts yet he was the greatest of all time. Go figure.

His son was pretty good too in front of goal, the Dickson of years gone by.

bornadog
05-02-2020, 12:20 PM
Just thinking about the OP, I think we have to become ruthless and when we get in front, really put the peddle down. None of these 3 or 4 point/goal wins, lets crush teams like we did to Essendon and GWS towards the end of last season.

One team I admire (and hate) is Hawthorn. When they are having a good season, they are relentless, and never ease up and just keep going till they absolutely make mince meat of you.

We showed in rounds 21, 22 and 23 last year, we are capable of kicking big scores.

ledge
05-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Just thinking about the OP, I think we have to become ruthless and when we get in front, really put the peddle down. None of these 3 or 4 point/goal wins, lets crush teams like we did to Essendon and GWS towards the end of last season.

One team I admire (and hate) is Hawthorn. When they are having a good season, they are relentless, and never ease up and just keep going till they absolutely make mince meat of you.

We showed in rounds 21, 22 and 23 last year, we are capable of kicking big scores.

We have never been known to be a side that hammers teams and what we saw the last three rounds was is pretty amazing.

AshMac
05-02-2020, 08:36 PM

Amen. We really need to learn how to maintain control.

That and scoring efficiency when we are dominating the play.

Twodogs
07-02-2020, 01:22 PM
]"Run straight, drop straight, kick straight"[/B]

That along with taking a deep breath and making sure that your head is directly over the ball when it hits your foot should be written in six foot letters on the dressing room wall.

Eastdog
07-02-2020, 02:22 PM
Gold Coast, St Kilda, North, Carlton.

We improve our consistency, we win those four games.

Yep for sure Mofra. Those are games I would have liked to have won in 2019 very disappointing and who knows we could have been top 4. Consistency through the whole season the key.

Eastdog
07-02-2020, 02:23 PM
We have never been known to be a side that hammers teams and what we saw the last three rounds was is pretty amazing.

I was surprised how much we beat Essendon by as I thought pre game that it would be quite close. Great win that was. We should have not allowed them to score in the end of the game.

AshMac
07-02-2020, 07:18 PM
I was surprised how much we beat Essendon by as I thought pre game that it would be quite close. Great win that was. We should have not allowed them to score in the end of the game.

I brought a mate from England to that game. It was his first ever AFL game and he’s coming to round 1. I think he will expect something similar

Eastdog
07-02-2020, 09:12 PM
I brought a mate from England to that game. It was his first ever AFL game and he’s coming to round 1. I think he will expect something similar

What a start to the season that would be. Huge confidence!

FrediKanoute
08-02-2020, 12:25 AM
Need to be able to win ugly on a consistent basis. Its all very well playing expansive pretty football when the opposition lets you, but being able to play that ugly lock down style when things aren't going your way is what wins you a flag.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-02-2020, 11:37 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/562642/tough-lesson-breeds-tougher-bulldogs
Expect a rougher, tougher Western Bulldogs outfit this season as they seek to prevent a repeat of last year's ignominious finals exit.

The nature of the elimination final thrashing at the hands of Greater Western Sydney made it one of those September defeats that hurts more than most.

But key defender Zaine Cordy said it would act as a spur for the Bulldogs as they attempt to harden up and cement a place among the competition's best sides in 2020.

"I think a few teams had thought that we were a little bit soft in the underbelly, so this year we've really focused on just being more aggressive in everything we do, just to prepare ourselves in case a team throws that at us again," Cordy said.

"If we can get a couple of those harder boys around the footy we should do alright."

Five months on, Cordy admitted the 58-point loss to arch rivals GWS still sits in the guts of a proud playing group that was torn to shreds on the big stage.

"It wasn't expected what GWS did, but they did do it and they did it pretty well," Cordy said.

"That definitely stuck with us and a few of the boys have still got some sore wounds from it.

"We'll be using that as motivation throughout the year. Especially when we play them (in round three), it's going to be a pretty hot contest."

Cordy did not miss a game last year, taking his career tally to 71 in five seasons, including the 2016 premiership.

But the 23-year-old enters 2020 facing more competition for spots in defence, after the arrival of trade recruit Alex Keath to sit alongside fellow tall defenders Jackson Trengove and Lewis Young, and former skipper Easton Wood.

"We've got a lot more competition for spots now, which is always healthy," Cordy said.

"We don't really know how the team's going to look at the moment so we're all trying to put our best foot forward.

"You have to play well or you get dropped, but it's very healthy and I'm excited about it."

The Bulldogs open their AFL pre-season series against North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on February 21.

Axe Man
12-02-2020, 01:12 PM
"It wasn't expected what GWS did, but they did do it and they did it pretty well," Cordy said.

In the words of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious! How did they not expect GWS to come at them physically in a final? Maybe not the extent that they did but that quote from a player astounds me.

Twodogs
12-02-2020, 01:56 PM
In the words of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious! How did they not expect GWS to come at them physically in a final? Maybe not the extent that they did but that quote from a player astounds me.

Especially Cordy. To be frank that is exactly where a lot of his value lies. He will hurt you and not care-say hello to Cal Ward.

I can't understand him saying that.

bornadog
12-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Especially Cordy. To be frank that is exactly where a lot of his value lies. He will hurt you and not care-say hello to Cal Ward.

I can't understand him saying that.

Maybe he meant the dirty stuff behind play but didn't want to mention it

Eastdog
12-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Maybe he meant the dirty stuff behind play but didn't want to mention it

That’s probably it.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-02-2020, 05:13 PM
Hopefully Cordy's words are more than lip service. I can imagine Bevo bristling at that final and planning to remedy things.

Mofra
12-02-2020, 06:04 PM
Hopefully Cordy's words are more than lip service. I can imagine Bevo bristling at that final and planning to remedy things.
TBH I would think even if Bevo was angry, the players would be the ones hungry for redemption. Round 3 is going to be a tough game.

bornadog
12-02-2020, 06:26 PM
TBH I would think even if Bevo was angry, the players would be the ones hungry for redemption. Round 3 is going to be a tough game.

If only it was in Melbourne

BornInDroopSt'54
12-02-2020, 09:17 PM
If only it was in Melbourne
Are we men or are we muffin men?
Sydney Showgrounds is our favourite pillaging site.

bornadog
12-02-2020, 10:06 PM
Are we men or are we muffin men?
Sydney Showgrounds is our favourite pillaging site.

It's in Canberra :D

BornInDroopSt'54
12-02-2020, 10:17 PM
It's in Canberra :D

Mmm fair enough, let's make Manuka Oval our beehive.

Dry Rot
13-02-2020, 12:52 AM

Canberra. Who is going?

If I can get down there, I am trying to assemble a mercenary Dogs army of friends down there ie Pies and Saints fans who loathe the Giants.

And my Tigers mate, who wants to parade his 2019 flag Tigers gear among the Giants fans.

Bulldog Joe
13-02-2020, 08:29 AM
Canberra. Who is going?

If I can get down there, I am trying to assemble a mercenary Dogs army of friends down there ie Pies and Saints fans who loathe the Giants.

And my Tigers mate, who wants to parade his 2019 flag Tigers gear among the Giants fans.

My concern is that our history under Bevo is not good for the 1st interstate trip.

The only time we have won round 3 is when we lost Rounds 1 and 2 in 2018.

AshMac
13-02-2020, 09:02 AM
Canberra. Who is going?

What are these “giants fans” you speak of?

Twodogs
13-02-2020, 01:47 PM
Canberra. Who is going?

Put me down with a "plus one" I will bring the boy and we can kick some GWS arse. We nearly got kicked out of Marvel stadium for taunting a Giants supporter the night Greene kicked Dahl in the face. The funny thing was in the end the cops tried to kick the Giants supporter out and we wouldn't let them, we were having fun with our new friend.