PDA

View Full Version : Austin to join Carlton

ledge
29-01-2020, 02:12 PM
Link here
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/01/29/report-carlton-has-found-its-stephen-silvagni-list-management-replacement/

AshMac
29-01-2020, 11:56 PM
Damn that’s disappointing. Really impressed w what he and power have done - though to be fair most impressed w Power’s ability to manage trade period

FrediKanoute
30-01-2020, 01:01 AM
Bit of turnover in the recruiting team over the last 18 months. Is the role Austin is going to more expansive?

GVGjr
30-01-2020, 08:12 AM
Bit of turnover in the recruiting team over the last 18 months. Is the role Austin is going to more expansive?

Yes, he's gone from a recruiting manager to list manager. It's a good promotion for him

comrade
30-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Given how early in the year it is and with this draft year being as much of a lay down for our recruitment as you’ll get with Marra a lock and potentially McPherson and Raak in the mix, if you’re going to lose your recruiting manager, this is the ‘best’ time for it to happen. I hope we target someone who has been at a club that has seen success, and perhaps has an especially good eye for indigenous talent. Someone from WC perhaps?

azabob
30-01-2020, 11:13 PM
Given how early in the year it is and with this draft year being as much of a lay down for our recruitment as you’ll get with Marra a lock and potentially McPherson and Raak in the mix, if you’re going to lose your recruiting manager, this is the ‘best’ time for it to happen. I hope we target someone who has been at a club that has seen success, and perhaps has an especially good eye for indigenous talent. Someone from WC perhaps?

Don’t mention W/C. Isn’t Scott Clayton there?

bornadog
26-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Stevo reporting

Western Bulldogs poaching a Magpie to fill head recruiting role vacated by Nick Austin.

Twodogs
26-02-2020, 01:03 PM
Did it say which Magpie BAD?

Axe Man
26-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Did it say which Magpie BAD?

Domenic Milesi, highly rated Pies recruiter, to the kennel. A promotion, long term servant ...

From Stevos Twitter.

Mofra
26-02-2020, 01:11 PM
Interesting development.

bulldogtragic
26-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Domenic Milesi, highly rated Pies recruiter, to the kennel. A promotion, long term servant ...

From Stevos Twitter.

Strong relationship with many elite pies players??? Hopefully.

Seems to be in line with our off field recruiting strategy. Which is working well.

Twodogs
26-02-2020, 01:14 PM

From Stevos Twitter.

Thanks Axey. The name is familiar. We tend to recruit quality people so hopefully Dominic fills that bill

The Doctor
26-02-2020, 01:15 PM
Dominic Milesi

He used to post on Bigfooty. Real footy nerd. He was very keen on Jarred Roughead for Hawks long before that draft.

Nice guy.

GVGjr
26-02-2020, 01:32 PM
Here is an article that might be of interest

Dominic Milesi is always on the ball (https://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace/cover-head-20160801-gqifpb.html)

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_1%2C$multiply_0.4016%2C$ratio_1.777778%2C$width_1992%2 C$x_0%2C$y_56/t_crop_custom/q_86%2Cf_auto/4147f7b0d0d22132fdd914bf4eae2f733e43aa1e

As the AFL season draws to its annual crescendo, it's a pretty good bet there are many adults wishing they could live and breathe the world of footy year round. Dominic Milesi actually does.

As it turns out, Milesi's background – a degree in economics and finance, supported by years of experience working in financial roles (including on Victoria's state budget) – set him up well for his role as Collingwood Football Club's national recruiting manager.

The job is varied: there's watching potential players to assess their talents, interviewing players to find out what they're like off the field, and a heavy dose of performance analysis.

"I look at the data in terms of a player's statistics and testing, and use that to analyse potential players of interest to us," Milesi says.

Then, there's the task of ensuring salaries stay below the required salary cap (that job is known colloquially as a capologist). It's just one of the many ways Milesi uses the maths skills he assumed would see him build a long-term career in more straitlaced finance roles.

"I use those skills every day, whether it's to go through player contracts, or analyse statistical data.

We also use a lot of graphical representations; they make it easier for people to interpret the data and make quick decisions," he says.

Although Milesi's job is just one of many examples of how STEM skills can be applied in non-traditional fields, landing his current role has taken time. Before the role at Collingwood came up he spent nine years either volunteering at footy clubs or working in honorarium roles every weekend, all while holding down a day job during the week.

"It's extremely competitive. I started at 21 and I was 30 before I got a fulltime job. It's taken a long time to get this far, but I also realise I'm lucky to have this opportunity," he says.

While Milesi's mathematics and finance skills were the door opener for his current career it turns out we need more like him. Seventy per cent of Australia's job growth is predicted to require STEM-related skills, but today, only 16 per cent of students are considering STEM-based careers.

As part of a broader national effort to address this mismatch, Collingwood recently launched the STEM Cup Challenge, which gives students across a chance to step into the role of capologist by using analytics and problem solving skills to select player salaries for the 2017 season. (The winner gets a day on the job with Milesi during draft week.) While it's aimed at students, so many adults are passionate about AFL, they don't need a competition to offer their advice when they meet Milesi at a barbecue or social outing and learn what his job involves. He takes it in his stride: after all, when he signed up for the job, he knew it was a 24/7 gig.

"During the season we're watching a lot of games, so from February to October we work six days a week.

After that we have interviews with players, then we are watching them do their physical testing, right up to the draft in November," he says.

So back to the barbecues. What happens?

"People normally have a player that they say I should have looked at – it's the first thing that comes up!" he says.

GVGjr
26-02-2020, 01:48 PM
And another one for good measure that draft watching nerds like myself should appreciate

What our recruiters did next
(https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/405573/what-our-recruiters-did-next)

The Rookie Draft is long gone and the National Draft was three months ago. So what do AFL recruiters do during the summer? Dominic Milesi, Collingwood's National Recruiting Manager of Performance Analysis, explains.

The Rookie Draft is long gone and the National Draft was three months ago.

The NAB Challenge is still a few weeks off in the distance so the junior competitions must still be a while away.

So what do AFL recruiters do during the summer?

Collingwoodfc.com.au caught up with Dominic Milesi, the club’s National Recruiting Manager – Performance Analysis, who explained the work done by recruiters behind the scenes during the warmer months.

What happens after the National and Rookie Drafts are completed?

“Straight after the drafts we normally do a full review of every player that got drafted and rookied for every club,” Milesi says.

“We’ll have a presentation to our footy department for our draftees as footballers and people. We then review all the other picks, too, and write up profiles so the coaches can refer to them in the following year.

“We go back and review previous drafts, as well, to see anything we can improve on.”

The job doesn’t sleep

“We have already interviewed 25 kids for this year’s draft and we started our first interview the day after the Rookie Draft,” Milesi says with a smile.

Full-time recruiting is a full on job.

One minute you might be watching a TAC Cup match, the next you’ll be flying across the nation to take in a WAFL fixture.

Suddenly it’s midway through the week and there are school games to watch, tapes to review and reports to file.

Recruiters chase the leather Sherrin across the country and occasionally the globe in the hunt for the next big thing.

“The first game of footy we’ll go to is on 14 February in South Australia and pretty much from then on we’ll be there every Saturday and Sunday, watching football games until October,” Milesi says.

“The only time we can take time off is in parts of December and January. We stagger it so we’ve always got staff members in the office, so we’re all taking leave over different times.

“It’s important it’s the only time to get away with our family and our weekends back to catch up with friends because during the season can be pretty hectic.”

Globe trotting

Recruiting takes the game’s talent scouts off Australian shores.

In 2015, the AFL Academy spent much of January in the United States for a high performance training camp.

“Derek Hine (General Manager of List Management) and Matt Rendell (National Recruiting Manager – Talent Identification) went to the States for the Academy tour,” Milesi continues.

“It’s a much better chance to meet the kids and have in depth interviews with them see how they’re handling the foreign environment.

“This group of players gets selected by a set of AFL recruiters and the AFL talent manager, and then they go to America for 12 days for camp.

“In the last two years, 70 per cent of that group has been drafted.

“The purpose of the camp is more about doing really high intensity training as an elite group as well as a lot of fitness training to build up a good base for the 2015 season.

“This is first time they have held it in January rather than in April, which in the past has eaten into their season.

“There’s also been two AFL Academy club placement weeks, so we’ve had four kids train with us (Geelong Falcons Rhys Mathieson and Charlie Curnow trained with Collingwood in early January) and in addition to that we’ve gone and watched other AFL Academy kids training with other clubs.”

Long-term vision

The football public hears plenty about the best prospects from the National Under 18 Championships each year.

But how early do the recruiters start watching the youngsters? How, and when, do they keep their focus on those rising through beneath the under 18s?

“It’s nearly all under-18s during the year,” says Milesi.

“As soon as the Rookie Draft is finished we do a quick review and then immediately start focusing on the 2015 National Draft, starting a couple of days afterwards.

“The kids we’ve interviewed so far are mostly those from the AFL or Vic Metro academies and it’s been a combination of doing quite a few home visits. These will be the first of probably three to four interviews with these players, depending on the level of interest during the year.

“At this stage it looks like Vic Country going to be quite strong based on its numbers in the AFL Academy but that can change really quickly.

So you watch a lot of TAC Cup footy, but do you ever get a chance to watch the AFL?

“We see Collingwood play live probably seven or eight times per year,” Milesi says of his fellow recruiters.

“Plus I try and see the VFL around that many times as well. If not, we’ll watch them on tape as soon as we get home, and we try and watch a bit of training, too, at this time of year.

“We often try and catch an AFL night match as well, to help us keep track of opposition players and trends in the game.

“You like to go out when the new boys start training to see how they have assimilated into the group and how they’re handling the training loads, but at the same time, once we’ve selected them, we hand them over to the coaches and they take on the responsibilities.”

Did you know there’s a whole other team to recruit for?

It’s not just the AFL team that the recruiters look out for.

Two recruiters sit on Collingwood’s VFL list management committee.

“It means we’re involved in recruiting and scouting for the VFL list as well.

“We had almost 50 at training when they started back in December, and they’re all competing for 21 spots.

“Most of them are invitees whom we’ve seen in school, TAC or local footy. From then on a lot of it goes on a combination of what the coaches think.

“We watch the VFL team train and also try to balance the list up to make sure we’ve got a variety of positions covered.

“When then have ongoing list management committee meetings where players are discussed and further opportunities come up. We’re obviously coming towards the end of our final selection process as we near the practice match time.”

“Every player signed has been canvassed and interviewed, then discussion is had over whether we sign them or not,” fellow National Recruiting Assistant Adam Shepard adds from across the room.

“It’s always along the lines of the profiling of the list requirements.”

ledge
26-02-2020, 01:56 PM
That is the biggest footy analyst nerd ever ., my great nephew has autism he would be perfect for jobs like that.

Twodogs
26-02-2020, 02:10 PM
That is the biggest footy analyst nerd ever ., my great nephew has autism he would be perfect for jobs like that.

No offense ledge but I've worked with people with autism my entire working life and that Rain Man thing is such a crock. We can't even pick what his condition was. Rain Man was a savant, not autistic and there is a huge difference between the two.

It kind of shits me when people start going on about people with autism and talk about it like it's some kind of gift or extra talent the cosmos has awarded you with. It's not, it's a pain in the arse for anyone who suffers from it and the constant "Oh, isn't he marvelous?" BS that I always hear tends to wear me down-I can't imagine what it's like for the person with the condition. They are just people like you and me.

Sorry about the rant mate. You just lifted your head at the wrong time and I only had one bullet.

ledge
26-02-2020, 02:16 PM
No offense ledge but I've worked with people with autism my entire working life and that Rain Man thing is such a crock. We can't even pick what his condition was. Rain Man was a savant, not autistic and there is a huge difference between the two.

It kind of shits me when people start going on about people with autism and talk about it like it's some kind of gift or extra talent the cosmos has awarded you with. It's not, it's a pain in the arse for anyone who suffers from it and the constant "Oh, isn't he marvelous BS that I always hear tends to wear me down.

Sorry about the rant mate. You just lifted your head at the wrong time and I only had one bullet.

Well my great nephew is a genius with history and the western bulldogs he is also going to Uni to study filmmaking and hopes to become a producer, he is a great kid even plays footy and as long as you give him warning to change he is fine.
Sorry if it offends you but I see it first hand with this kid.
He is a perfectionist its why I mentioned it. Autism has a huge spectrum but if you give them something they love they will give you 100%

ledge
26-02-2020, 02:23 PM
My great nephew has his problems as in going to uni he will have some one with him on the train for a few months, his biggest problem is change you must prepare him for it.
He is 19 I believe some do have a talent to whatever they like they need to know everything about it, but as I said the spectrum is so big some are worse than others , he takes tablets and is kind of lost if he doesn’t take them.
His mum also is a carer at an autism school she sees the best and worst.

Twodogs
26-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Well my great nephew is a genius with history and the western bulldogs he is also going to Uni to study filmmaking and hopes to become a producer, he is a great kid even plays footy and as long as you give him warning to change he is fine.
Sorry if it offends you but I see it first hand with this kid.
He is a perfectionist its why I mentioned it. Autism has a huge spectrum but if you give them something they love they will give you 100%

OK then.

It's not offending me. Dunno where you read that into I've worked with people with autism my entire working life because that looks to be pretty much the opposite to me. I'm not into self loathing. Well I am but not in my professional life.

GVGjr
26-02-2020, 03:14 PM
Gents, can we please get back on topic? We have a new addition to our beloved Kennel and I'd like to see if we can find out more about him.

Bulldog4life
26-02-2020, 03:25 PM
Gents, can we please get back on topic? We have a new addition to our beloved Kennel and I'd like to see if we can find out more about him.

It's great that we nabbed him from Collingwood. He had a high profile position there too. Poor Eddie.

GVGjr
26-02-2020, 03:30 PM
It's great that we nabbed him from Collingwood. He had a high profile position there too. Poor Eddie.

He does some wide and varied roles leading into the National Recruiting Manager role. He's got some academy picks to consider for us which means he shouldn't be under a lot of pressure.

Mofra
26-02-2020, 03:31 PM
I too question Collingwood's record with mid to late picks in the past few years but time will tell with this appointment. I give him a huge tick if he was part of Mihocek's drafting as that is looking like an inspired selection and they did steal Bianco at 45 last year who was rumoured to have been interviewed by us pre-draft.

IIRC Dalrymple was a number-cruncher prior to becoming a full time drafting guru.

Axe Man
26-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Dom Milesi appointed Bulldogs’ National Recruiting Manager (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/568674/dom-milesi-appointed-bulldogs-national-recruiting-manager?fbclid=IwAR3rRRMpfY75OOO2jnvGxZPHY9-AAoFZ-misp22GC2Dqy3X0SmyR8gKsv-g)

The Western Bulldogs have secured highly-regarded recruiter Dom Milesi to its list management team, as National Recruiting Manager.

Milesi arrives at VU Whitten Oval with extensive experience, having spent a combined 15 years at Collingwood and Hawthorn Football Clubs.

Milesi has been one of the key members of the Magpies’ list management team since 2008, in a number of recruiting, talent identification and opposition analysis roles.

“We’re thrilled to have Dom join the Western Bulldogs and we’re excited about what he’ll be able to add to our list management and recruiting team,” said Bulldogs’ General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power.

“Dom is a respected and highly-credentialled recruiter who has been a loyal member of Collingwood’s recruiting team for over a decade.

“Dom’s experience and skills are perfectly suited to our National Recruiting Manager role, and we’re looking forward to him helping us strengthen our playing list further in the near future.”

Prior to his time at Collingwood, Milesi held recruiting and opposition analysis roles at Hawthorn Football Club.

“I’m thankful for this fantastic opportunity at the Western Bulldogs and I can’t wait to get started,” Milesi said.

“I’ve been impressed by the way the Bulldogs have advanced their list over the last few years, and I hope I can play my part in adding to that growth.

“I’m incredibly grateful to everyone at Collingwood for their support over a long period of time. I’m proud to leave on good terms, and I wish them all the best for the future.”

Milesi also has considerable experience in the finance and accounting sector, including a seven-year stint as Financial Analyst at the Department of Treasury and Finance.

Milesi is expected to start his new role at the Bulldogs next month.

GVGjr
26-02-2020, 04:02 PM
I too question Collingwood's record with mid to late picks in the past few years but time will tell with this appointment. I give him a huge tick if he was part of Mihocek's drafting as that is looking like an inspired selection and they did steal Bianco at 45 last year who was rumoured to have been interviewed by us pre-draft.

IIRC Dalrymple was a number-cruncher prior to becoming a full time drafting guru.

The Pies do have a different approach and it seems to be working for them. I wonder exactly what Milesi played in their selections

Rantall and Bianco seem like excellent later selections last year

The Doctor
26-02-2020, 05:06 PM
Pies came within a miraculous kick of winning the GF with a team he helped build.

He's a number cruncher and a data analyst. Absolutely essential in modern recruiting. He has been watching junior footballers for many years and has a good eye for talent. With now lengthy experience at 2 good footy clubs he has serves a detailed apprenticeship. He is ideal for the role.

Good luck Dom.

hujsh
26-02-2020, 06:02 PM
Looks a bit like Steve Merchant.