PDA

View Full Version : AFLW - Bulldogs Women's Team Games thread

bornadog
04-02-2020, 03:40 PM
In the absence of a forum (don't know why?), this thread is to discuss AFLW games starting this week.

Mods please pin.

bornadog
04-02-2020, 03:42 PM
Round 1

Sunday February 9 - V St Kilda at Moorabin

GVGjr
04-02-2020, 04:17 PM
In the absence of a forum (don't know why?), this thread is to discuss AFLW games starting this week.

Mods please pin.

BAD, you've made your point a few times. I'll review it down the track. If we have the numbers then no problems
If you want to discuss it further, you can always contact me directly

Hotdog60
06-02-2020, 07:53 PM
ST KILDA

B: T.White 29 C.Fitzpatrick 24
HB: H.Priest 14 C.Phillips 35 T.Lucas-Rodd 18
C: K.O'Neill 20 J.Sedunary 10 M.McDonald 1
HF: N.Exon 15 K.McCarthy 9 C.Greiser 17
F: K.Shierlaw 12 G.Patrikios 21
Foll: R.Watt - C 7 O.Vesely 23 E.Mackie 3
I/C: N.Von Bertouch 28 P.Kelly 16 R.Dillon 25 A.Drennan 8 C.Whitfort 4 N.Xenos 27 A.Brown 2

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: A.Gogos 36 L.Spark 11
HB: E.Gamble 14 I.Huntington 4 N.Ferres 16
C: B.Hunt 21 K.Lamb 27 N.Callinan 10
HF: G.Newton 5 B.Toogood 8 K.McLeod 6
F: E.Georgostathis 17 D.Berry 7
Foll: C.Moody 13 E.Blackburn - C 2 A.McCarthy 15
I/C: D.Marshall 26 K.Rennie 24 G.Lagioia 12 H.Scott 22 K.Herron 31 E.Brown 9 H.Munyard 20

Happy Days
06-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Weird set up with Huntington at CHB and Scott on the bench, doubt it looks like that on game day.

Anyone heading along?

Bulldog4life
06-02-2020, 09:05 PM
Weird set up with Huntington at CHB and Scott on the bench, doubt it looks like that on game day.

Anyone heading along?

Huntington has been playing CHB during the practice matches and playing well.

Mofra
07-02-2020, 11:15 AM
Huntington has been playing CHB during the practice matches and playing well.
I expect a fair indicator of how well we play this year will be if she can stay fit. Gun when up and going.

Can't wait to see another Grant running around when she's back from injury too.

Twodogs
07-02-2020, 08:45 PM
I'm having real trouble GAF about AFLW this year after Conti AND Brennan left for the same club.

That shit ain't right and they can jam their competition as far as I am concerned.

Happy Days
07-02-2020, 11:12 PM
I'm having real trouble GAF about AFLW this year after Conti AND Brennan left for the same club.

That shit ain't right and they can jam their competition as far as I am concerned.

I’ll admit I feel the same somewhat. It’s really hard to build an attachment to a team if the best players that you love watching leave after every season. Just having 22 players in a Dogs jumper isn’t enough.

Hotdog60
07-02-2020, 11:43 PM
It was good to see Carlton give it Richmond tonight just because of the ex's.

bornadog
08-02-2020, 12:04 AM

At the start of the competition, all clubs knew they would lose a good player or two as the new clubs came into the competition. The AFLW wanted to share around the best players so that the inaugural clubs didn't just get the pick of the bunch and leave all the inexperienced players for the new clubs. Once the comp settles down, it won't be as bad.

The great things is we have had picks in the top 10 and now we have a good blend of young and old.

I wasn't unhappy to see Brennan go, as she is over rated in my opinion, but Conti is a gun. We have 5 players debuting this Sunday, so should be interesting.

PS: The club is bigger than the players.

Hotdog60
08-02-2020, 07:53 AM
https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/02/07/35d0feec-822c-4a80-963b-1e0d17247c17/HERO_070220TeamNews.jpg?width=952&height=592

Five debutantes have been confirmed in the Western Bulldogs’ final 21 for Sunday’s AFLW season opener against St Kilda.

Draftee Gemma Lagioia and international rookies Katy Herron (Ireland) and Danielle Marshall (USA) will join No. 1 pick Gabby Newton and fellow top-10 draftee Elisabeth Georgostathis in receiving their first red, white and blue guernseys.

Kim Rennie and Hannah Scott will start on the bench, while Eleanor Brown and Hannah Munyard named as the emergencies.

The game will be televised live on Channel 7 from 2.30pm, with the first bounce at 3.10pm.

St Kilda v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 9 February, 3.10pm AEDT
RSEA Park, Moorabbin

B: Angelica Gogos, Lauren Spark
HB: Ellyse Gamble, Isabel Huntington, Naomi Ferres
C: Bailey Hunt, Kirsty Lamb, Nicole Callinan
HF: Gabby Newton, Bonnie Toogood, Kirsten McLeod
F: Elisabeth Georgostathis, Deanna Berry
Foll: Celine Moody, Ellie Blackburn, Aisling McCarthy
Int: Danielle Marshall, Kim Rennie, Gemma Lagioia
Hannah Scott, Katy Herron
Emer: Eleanor Brown, Hannah Munyard

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/561245/aflw-team-five-debutantes-for-round-1)

BornInDroopSt'54
08-02-2020, 11:34 AM
On free to air. Will be able to see how Newton and the five syllabled Georgostathis go and Gogos.
New era without the Richmond turncoats.

bornadog
08-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Danielle Marshall first American women to play AFLW

Daughter of the West
08-02-2020, 01:16 PM
It was good to see Carlton give it Richmond tonight just because of the ex's.

I wondered if I was immature feeling much the same, I was pretty happy for Carlton to obliterate them last night. I have zero insight into the full reasons that Kaiytee Brennnenn went to Richmond, but all the palava around it really pissed me off.

Hotdog60
08-02-2020, 01:29 PM
katie brennan and Daisy Pearce were the two original so called marque players of the fledgling competition and Brennan gave us little return with the media jumping on Pearce and her face being on TV more and Melbourne getting better exposure.
Brennan has been off the park more times than on and I can understand her seeking better opportunities she could also have stuck with the club and gave us some return on the faith.
Conti is just pure disappointment as I think she is a better player than Brennan.
So stuff Richmond.
Brisbane has been another club that has suffered more so with Harris than Frederick.

Edit: I saw Ashmore so that's another good player the Lions lost.

Dancin' Douggy
08-02-2020, 01:36 PM

Yeah it totally sucks

ledge
08-02-2020, 02:06 PM
katie brennan and Daisy Pearce were the two original so called marque players of the fledgling competition and Brennan gave us little return with the media jumping on Pearce and her face being on TV more and Melbourne getting better exposure.
Brennan has been off the park more times than on and I can understand her seeking better opportunities she could also have stuck with the club and gave us some return on the faith.
Conti is just pure disappointment as I think she is a better player than Brennan.
So stuff Richmond.
Brisbane has been another club that has suffered more so with Harris than Frederick.

I’m actually looking at these players going as a plus, we needed something new , a new coach and a new outlook, Let’s face it Brennan and Conti I respect but let’s look at the Griffin loss, we were nothing last year with them.
Rejuvenate and refresh , I think we will do well this year because of it.
Richmond were pantsed last night, so called stars in this competition are no good if you haven’t got all the players with decent skills and talent.
It’s a young Comp and a lot of players still aren’t up To a good standard but it is quickly improving.
A balance of having none that are stars and all with talent is better than a couple of stars and a drop away of talent in the last 8 of your list.

bornadog
08-02-2020, 03:03 PM
I watched the last quarter and thought the standard has risen again. The game is improving every year, but the big mistake is having such a short season, and playing in summer conditions.

Hotdog60
08-02-2020, 04:55 PM
Maybe when every team has a team they will be the curtain raisers to the men.

bornadog
08-02-2020, 05:34 PM

One of the attractions for fans is the suburban feel and atmosphere, but agree I think sometimes there should be a curtain raiser.

Twodogs
08-02-2020, 08:34 PM

I'd prefer the girls to have their own comp. Playing them as curtain raisers just feels a little disrespectful to me.

Sort of like a pat on the head for being good girls but you will never be the same as the big boys.

Hotdog60
09-02-2020, 12:38 AM
I'd prefer the girls to have their own comp. Playing them as curtain raisers just feels a little disrespectful to me.

Sort of like a pat on the head for being good girls but you will never be the same as the big boys.

True but it would help with the cost of having to run a different venue and and the support that goes with it.
The girls would need to be on full time wages to cover a full season.

TV coverage would already be at the ground so they don't need to be in two places.

Hotdog60
09-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Go Girls, have a good opening game.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:14 PM
Toogood too good. Allows well for the wind. Goal.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:17 PM
The Yank yanks one after Blackburn dazzles. Danni Marshall!

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Toogood killing them. Blackburn to Toogood who nails it!

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Rob Murphy the runner.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:23 PM
Saints with wind advantage, get one back.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Marshall goes for goal from 50! Just misses but sh backed herself.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:28 PM
Macloed plenty of confidence, selling the dummy.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:29 PM
McCarthy anotherie. The colours look great on our women.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Umpires trying to even it up.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:32 PM
25 to 6. Qtr time.

bornadog
09-02-2020, 04:37 PM
The Yank yanks one after Blackburn dazzles. Danni Marshall!

One kick and goal from the first Yank to play AFLW.

Good start

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:44 PM
Goal to Hunt.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:46 PM
Someone polaxed.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 04:47 PM
Gabbi Newton, looks OK.

Happy Days
09-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Our skill level is considerably higher than theirs. Toogood and McLeod have both looked super dangerous.

The Underdog
09-02-2020, 04:52 PM
Toogood forward and Huntington back are both looking good.

Happy Days
09-02-2020, 04:55 PM
So getting winded is a free kick now.

The Underdog
09-02-2020, 05:01 PM
Love that they're looking to switch and move from the backline. Blackburn is a level above, moves like Ablett Jr around the ball and gets depth to her kicks. Lost some momentum but there's a lot of youth and new players there so it'll likely be up and down. Finishing around goal is super pleasing.

Happy Days
09-02-2020, 05:03 PM
Love that they're looking to switch and move from the backline. Blackburn is a level above, moves like Ablett Jr around the ball and gets depth to her kicks. Lost some momentum but there's a lot of youth and new players there so it'll likely be up and down. Finishing around goal is super pleasing.

Blackburn has always looked like she's playing a different game. Her kicks have 15 metres on anyone elses and she never misses targets.

bornadog
09-02-2020, 05:04 PM
I still don't get the point in having different rules for AFLW. Not one of them enhances the game. The boundary throw in for example is just a joke.

The Underdog
09-02-2020, 05:06 PM
Blackburn has always looked like she's playing a different game. Her kicks have 15 metres on anyone elses and she never misses targets.

Yeah, but it's nice to be reminded that she's better than Conti and Brennan :)

Happy Days
09-02-2020, 05:08 PM
Yeah, but it's nice to be reminded that she's better than Conti and Brennan :)

For real is Katie even good at this point? She hasn't really done anything in 2 years and never fully delivered on the hype she had coming in at the start of the competition.

All I saw her do on Friday was give away free kicks.

The Underdog
09-02-2020, 05:12 PM
For real is Katie even good at this point? She hasn't really done anything in 2 years and never fully delivered on the hype she had coming in at the start of the competition.

All I saw her do on Friday was give away free kicks.

She's been hugely underwhelming for a few years now.

Testekill
09-02-2020, 05:43 PM
Honestly a player being a star at amateur level but not kicking on as the skill level improves around them is pretty common. Toogood is honestly a better KPF than highly touted players from the pre-AFLW days like Brennan and Hope and I'd put it down to just how the skill level has improved.

edit: Blackburn, Phillips & Kearney are all still a level above of course.

Testekill
09-02-2020, 05:47 PM
Umpires just handed the Saints four frees in a row

bornadog
09-02-2020, 06:01 PM
Good win in the end, Saints bottled up the game and our class shone through.

Hotdog60
09-02-2020, 06:04 PM
I wish the umps would play a free when its there. The game gets so congested because of constant ball ups.
Just pay incorrect disposal and you would open the game up a lot more because all the good players will get the ball moving quickly.

As with the mens the umps cause half the congestion at the football.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-02-2020, 06:06 PM
Great win.

Hotdog60
09-02-2020, 06:08 PM
It was a great win. We'll look even better once Lochland gets back.

Testekill
09-02-2020, 06:09 PM
Lamb probably BOG although I missed a fair chunk of the first half so maybe Blackburn did the damage early on.

The Underdog
09-02-2020, 06:10 PM
Solid win. Be interesting to see how the season evolves, but some good signs.
Liked Scott’s second half, Brennan dropped away. Looks like Huntington was ok fortunately

bornadog
09-02-2020, 06:25 PM
Solid win. Be interesting to see how the season evolves, but some good signs.
Liked Scott’s second half, Brennan dropped away. Looks like Huntington was ok fortunately

Huntington was concussed

bornadog
09-02-2020, 06:26 PM
I wish the umps would play a free when its there. The game gets so congested because of constant ball ups.
Just pay incorrect disposal and you would open the game up a lot more because all the good players will get the ball moving quickly.

As with the mens the umps cause half the congestion at the football.

I agree, there were so many incorrect disposals from both sides. I thought the umpiring was very poor. The deliberate point near the end was also a joke.

Twodogs
09-02-2020, 07:34 PM
Captain Ellie Blackburn leads Western Bulldogs to impressive Round 1 win to spoil St Kilda’s Moorabbin return

Captain Ellie Blackburn delivered a Round 1 masterclass as Western Bulldogs spoiled St Kilda’s Moorabbin return, while Collingwood started its campaign on the perfect note.

No Brennan, no Conti, no worries.

The Bulldogs might have lost their star power but there is no doubting that change suits the daughters of the west.

Led by captain Ellie Blackburn, the Bulldogs spoiled St Kilda’s homecoming to Moorabbin and first foray into AFL Women’s with a 25-point win at the Saints’ mecca.

Former skipper Katie Brennan and ex-ballwinner Monique Conti might now be in yellow and black, but the new-look Bulldogs looked fresh with a change-up.

Like a new haircut, they moved with swagger and silk with a healthy dose of strength thanks to the likes of Hannah Scott.

New coach Nathan Burke promised in the pre-season that the team would not lose a game due to a lack of fitness on his watch, and the hard work looks to have paid off.

The Dogs’ defensive lockdown in the third quarter proved a standout as the Saints desperately attempted to turn the tide, but their experience proved the difference.

Premiership player Bonnie Toogood has taken her game to a new level from last season.

SAY IT ISN’T SO

It was a day of casualties for the Dogs, who were a player down for the majority of the day after Celine Moody was felled with a right ankle injury early in the match.

The air was sucked out of Moorabbin when former No. 1 pick Isabel Huntington – who has managed just five games in more than three years at Whitten Oval after her second knee reconstruction – went down with what looked to be a knee injury in the final quarter.

She ran from the ground but did not play any further part in the game.

Thankfully, there were signs post-match she was affected by a head knock, rather than another knee issue.

HOLLER FOR A MARSHALL

The wonder of AFL Women’s is plenty of firsts, and an AFLW match at Moorabbin wasn’t the only one on Sunday.

Bulldogs forward Dani Marshall became the first American to play AFLW and made sure the occasion was marked with gusto, booting a first quarter goal to get the Dogs rolling.

Marshall, 29, first spotted Australian Rules in the sidebar of her YouTube account, watching a few videos and exclaiming “what is this sport?!”.

She soon took it up, playing in the USAFL for the Arizona Hawks before last year biting the bullet and coming to Australia for a crack at the big time.

Signed as a rookie, the Coloradoan looked right at home and will be sure to have an impact this season.

YOUNG GUNS FIRE

It was the head-to-head battle of generation next as two of the competition’s top four picks faced off.

And it was Saint Georgia Patrikios who drew first blood and took the points over No. 1 pick Gabby Newton.

Patrikios came to Moorabbin highly touted after a stellar national championships campaign for Vic Metro under now-Bulldogs coach Nathan Burke, and took less than 30 seconds to get her first look at the ball.

It wasn’t her last, finishing with 18 touches and six tackles for the day.

The St Kilda faithful hadn’t seen football at Moorabbin since 1992, and boy, did they make it worth the wait.

The capacity crowd of 8000 people was reached midway through the third quarter, forcing officials to close the gates.

In a further nod to the club’s history, Molly McDonald booted the team’s first-ever goal midway through the first quarter, 147 years after a man named McDonald was understood to have kicked the club’s first-ever goal in 1873. Uncanny.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/st-kildas-moorabbin-return-a-lockout-in-aflw-debut-against-western-bulldogs/news-story/f85f873aa5c6f0bdae621bc77053209e

Stevo
09-02-2020, 08:18 PM
I agree, there were so many incorrect disposals from both sides. I thought the umpiring was very poor. The deliberate point near the end was also a joke.

The AFL is on a winner here and the crowds are big and enthusiastic. They will iron out the umpiring challenges

Hotdog60
09-02-2020, 08:22 PM
The AFL is on a winner here and the crowds are big and enthusiastic. They will iron out the umpiring challenges

Will they?
More likely introduce some more rules to make life even more harder on the umps.
Play the free kick and get on with the game it's the same with the men's. No prior is the problem go back to the original rule and if the ball isn't disposed by hand or foot pay the free.

Bulldog4life
09-02-2020, 08:43 PM
I enjoyed watching the girls in their win over St.Kilda. They did the colours proud. Love their overall toughness especially Scotty.

Twodogs
09-02-2020, 09:10 PM
Will they?
More likely introduce some more rules to make life even more harder on the umps.
Play the free kick and get on with the game it's the same with the men's. No prior is the problem go back to the original rule and if the ball isn't disposed by hand or foot pay the free.

Yeah it's not hard. Or at least it's not if you are going out of your way to make it hard.

mjp
09-02-2020, 09:19 PM
Yeah it's not hard. Or at least it's not if you are going out of your way to make it hard.

I watched 4x of the games.

The umpires CANNOT allow scrimmages to form in aflw...because the girls can’t kick far enough to clear the congestion. I have been going on about this for 3 years now but just:

1. Pay free kicks and pay them quickly.
2. Ball it up...it ain’t coming out.

Hotdog60
09-02-2020, 09:33 PM
I've noticed also the girls like hanging on to the jumpers as well. I know is hard for the umps but if you see pay it.
It may appear to be over officiated but a few weeks of being penalized for breaking the basic rules of the game and they will soon learn.
The better and fitter players will get on their bike and open the game up.

jazzadogs
09-02-2020, 10:48 PM
Blackburn, Lamb, Scott, Spark are amongst a bunch of foundation dogs who are still there. We had five debutantes today, but the rest of the 22 are unchanged from previous years, a number of them premiership players. The passion for the club from Ellie in particular is obvious - she grew up a saints supporter, and there's no way they wouldn't have approached her.

As for the game today, our skills and toughness were so impressive. Hitting long targets and being clean in close, we made good decisions including timely switches of play and good running patterns.

Toogood looked fantastic early, while Blackburn and Lamb were up to their usual tricks. Ferres continued on from her 2019 form in the VFLW, and Scott/Spark/Huntington were rocks in defence.

It was great to see Dani Marshall get a goal early, and the top 10 picks looked solid.

The saints will be pleased with their first game, with a lot of their debutantes playing significant roles. The crowd and atmosphere at Moorabbin had nothing on Whitten Oval though!

bornadog
09-02-2020, 11:37 PM
I watched 4x of the games.

The umpires CANNOT allow scrimmages to form in aflw...because the girls can’t kick far enough to clear the congestion. I have been going on about this for 3 years now but just:

1. Pay free kicks and pay them quickly.
2. Ball it up...it ain’t coming out.

I still think the AFL and AFLW should have the same rules. This business of boundary umpires lining up 20 metres in from the boundary is rubbish, as is last touch.

GVGjr
10-02-2020, 03:09 AM
I still think the AFL and AFLW should have the same rules. This business of boundary umpires lining up 20 metres in from the boundary is rubbish, as is last touch.

Not if it's going to impact the game for them. As MJP say's at the moment they just don't have the kicking depth to keep the play boxed in. It needs for the game to be kept moving

I don't mind if a few rules are tweaked.

AshMac
10-02-2020, 09:16 AM
Went down yesterday with my daughter - 3 y.o. Great atmosphere, good crowd and good quality footy. So much to offer the community with the season. The improvement in the quality of play between this year and 2 years ago is noticeable IMO. Fantastic trajectory for the league. Whether it captures a new audience or extends across existing AFL fans time will tell.

Getting a 3 year old excited about 4 quarters of footy was another, We did see Bailey Smith which was nice, though she didn’t care.

bornadog
10-02-2020, 09:29 AM
As MJP say's at the moment they just don't have the kicking depth.

Just on that, I would shorten the ground from goal to goal so more goals are kicked.

GVGjr
10-02-2020, 09:51 AM
Just on that, I would shorten the ground from goal to goal so more goals are kicked.

Could it make the game more congested?

I'm not sure that the theory of a smaller ground will mean a higher score

Mofra
10-02-2020, 09:51 AM
Blackburn, Lamb, Scott, Spark are amongst a bunch of foundation dogs who are still there. We had five debutantes today, but the rest of the 22 are unchanged from previous years, a number of them premiership players. The passion for the club from Ellie in particular is obvious - she grew up a saints supporter, and there's no way they wouldn't have approached her.
Blackburn simply has to be our marquee player now. Odds-on for our B&F.

The Huntington to backline move has worked, worrying when she came off late.

Izzy Grant's debut should get a bit of interest going as well.

SonofScray
10-02-2020, 04:01 PM
Good win for the girls. You can really see the impact of a few years in the elite system is having on our senior players. Look at Toogood and Lamb's physiques over their time in the Club and you'll see park footballers starting to build really athletic, strong bodies.We wi;; see big improvements from those mid tier senior players on that front and the younger girls are already driving the talent up.

H Scott remains my favourite. Great, physical. bruising footy from her. It's a joy to watch.

I find the umpiring of women's footy very frustrating. Its not that they adjudicate differently to the men's games, rather that the errors they make in men's footy are really exposed in women's footy. They put the whistle away in men's footy and the stronger bodies tend to find a way to keep driving things regardless. In the women's game where territory and possession have a much higher value, letting the game get clogged up really hurts. Just pay it as they see it, to the same rules. At the moment they pay it within the context of creating a particular look for the game. It creates problems in both.

Happy Days
10-02-2020, 05:50 PM
I find the umpiring of women's footy very frustrating. Its not that they adjudicate differently to the men's games, rather that the errors they make in men's footy are really exposed in women's footy. They put the whistle away in men's footy and the stronger bodies tend to find a way to keep driving things regardless. In the women's game where territory and possession have a much higher value, letting the game get clogged up really hurts. Just pay it as they see it, to the same rules. At the moment they pay it within the context of creating a particular look for the game. It creates problems in both.

They straight up tried to get St Kilda a second goal yesterday through free kicks. It’s something you’d expect to see in Auskick.

Bulldog4life
11-02-2020, 10:27 AM
They straight up tried to get St Kilda a second goal yesterday through free kicks. It’s something you’d expect to see in Auskick.

The Saints second goal was from a crazy free kick in front. The camera work from channel 7 was bizarre in not showing the viewers again how the free eventuated. Or did I miss it?

Bulldog Joe
11-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Watching the game I was very impressed with Huntington.

Did anyone else think she moved like a female Bont. Very composed and moves nicely onto the left. Tall, slim build also.

ledge
11-02-2020, 04:16 PM

Did anyone else think she moved like a female Bont. Very composed and moves nicely onto the left. Tall, slim build also.

I think she has lost a bit of weight from last year.

bornadog
11-02-2020, 05:44 PM
Elli Blackburn with 10 coaches votes. The only AFLW to record this 4 times.

ledge
11-02-2020, 05:54 PM
Elli Blackburn with 10 coaches votes. The only AFLW to record this 4 times.

She is as good as Phillips but a different type of player, her evasiveness , periferal vision and knack of being where the ball is are very rare. She is a natural footballer. I would compare who to a Scott West type.

Happy Days
11-02-2020, 06:10 PM
She is as good as Phillips but a different type of player, her evasiveness , periferal vision and knack of being where the ball is are very rare. She is a natural footballer. I would compare who to a Scott West type.

She reminds me more of Dale Thomas at his best. Incredible skills both in and outside the contest, and plays with a cockiness that would drive you mental having to come up against.

I love watching her play.

jazzadogs
11-02-2020, 06:16 PM
The Saints second goal was from a crazy free kick in front. The camera work from channel 7 was bizarre in not showing the viewers again how the free eventuated. Or did I miss it?

That free kick, and the deliberate rushed against Spark when she had something 30cm behind her, were very interesting. From my spot at the ground behind the goals, I think Scott pushed the saints player over...maybe?

Coaches votes were spot on for me. Ellie BOG followed by Lamb, Ferres and Huntington.

Very glad Scotty only got a reprimand for her physicality. She will almost certainly get suspended at some point this season.

Happy Days
11-02-2020, 07:34 PM
Very glad Scotty only got a reprimand for her physicality. She will almost certainly get suspended at some point this season.

Hell yeah

soupman
11-02-2020, 09:11 PM

The Saints girl Sedunary when she got up after being tackled (fairly) sort of grabbed/pushed one of our girls underneath her. Someone pushed her back and she fell over. Free kick.

Sedunary was weirdly angry at that stage. After she kicked the goal from the shit free kick to put them about 40 points down she ran up to Blackburn who was on the mark and shoved/pushed her in the chest as if they just took the lead. It was super lame and just made her look like a dickhead.

ledge
11-02-2020, 10:59 PM
The Saints girl Sedunary when she got up after being tackled (fairly) sort of grabbed/pushed one of our girls underneath her. Someone pushed her back and she fell over. Free kick.

Sedunary was weirdly angry at that stage. After she kicked the goal from the shit free kick to put them about 40 points down she ran up to Blackburn who was on the mark and shoved/pushed her in the chest as if they just took the lead. It was super lame and just made her look like a dickhead.

She can play though.

Bulldog4life
11-02-2020, 11:32 PM
The AFLW Bulldogs’ first win of the season has unfortunately come at a cost, with ruck Celine Moody and forward-turned-defender Izzy Huntington sustaining injuries in the 25-point win over St Kilda.

Moody suffered an ankle injury before quarter-time, with scans revealing she will miss approximately three to four weeks.

Huntington will also be sidelined for Friday night’s clash against Melbourne with concussion symptoms, following a head knock late in the game.

Vice-captain Brooke Lochland is tracking well in her hamstring strain recovery, while draftee Issy Grant will spend a few more weeks in a moon-boot before being reassessed.

Utility Ash Guest is nearing a return as well, following ligament damage she sustained to her knee and ankle during the pre-season.

The Bulldogs will host the Demons at VU Whitten Oval on Friday night at 7.40pm.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/562564/moody-huntington-ruled-out-of-dees-clash

Hotdog60
11-02-2020, 11:41 PM
Hannah Scott may have to go back for Issy and Rennie to carry the ruck.

Bulldog4life
11-02-2020, 11:45 PM
THREE players have accepted reprimands for rough conduct after round one of the NAB AFLW season.

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT Sarah Black wraps up round one

Gold Coast ruck Lauren Bella was charged with rough conduct against GWS forward Cora Staunton, with the incident graded as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

An incident between Hannah Scott and Emma Mackie was graded as careless conduct with low impact to the body, with the former charged with rough conduct.

St Kilda utility Tilly Lucas-Rodd was the third charged with rough conduct, with her case against Kirsty Lamb rated as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

https://womens.afl/news/43987/three-reprimanded-for-rough-conduct-in-r1-no-bans

bornadog
12-02-2020, 11:16 AM
AFLW Round 2 | Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne
When: Friday 14 February

Where: VU Whitten Oval, 417 Barkly St, Footscray

Gates Open: 6pm AEDT
Game Starts: 7.45pm AEDT

Admission: Free
Broadcast: Foxtel and Channel 7, from 7.30pm. The match will also be streamed live on

Twodogs
12-02-2020, 12:34 PM

As for the game today, our skills and toughness were so impressive. Hitting long targets and being clean in close, we made good decisions including timely switches of play and good running patterns.

Toogood looked fantastic early, while Blackburn and Lamb were up to their usual tricks. Ferres continued on from her 2019 form in the VFLW, and Scott/Spark/Huntington were rocks in defence.

It was great to see Dani Marshall get a goal early, and the top 10 picks looked solid.

The saints will be pleased with their first game, with a lot of their debutantes playing significant roles. The crowd and atmosphere at Moorabbin had nothing on Whitten Oval though!

I have to admit to being considerably more happy this week than I was last week. The girls looked fit and hungry and it's amazing what a win at Moorabin can do for confidence. I watched a couple of games and thought our team looked the best. Well organized in defence, outside runners and tall forwards to kick the ball to.

Went down yesterday with my daughter - 3 y.o. Great atmosphere, good crowd and good quality footy. So much to offer the community with the season. The improvement in the quality of play between this year and 2 years ago is noticeable IMO. Fantastic trajectory for the league. Whether it captures a new audience or extends across existing AFL fans time will tell.

Getting a 3 year old excited about 4 quarters of footy was another, We did see Bailey Smith which was nice, though she didn’t care.

I'm pretty sure that Bailey Smith is a boy. Pretty rude though, not caring like that.

Could it make the game more congested?

I'm not sure that the theory of a smaller ground will mean a higher score

It's like that question about batting on a big ground like the MCG. Are there more gaps in the field due to the size of the ground or does the boundary being further away make it harder to score? I'm a gaps man myself.

Sort of like a combination of Bont and Scott West.

Hotdog60
13-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Versatile Scott ready for coach’s command

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/02/12/b28d1644-7143-4ef0-99c1-2235bbab2766/PC120220KD10.JPG?width=952&height=592

We’ve become accustomed to seeing Hannah Scott command the backline, but prepare to watch the 2018 All-Australian defender in a variety of positions this year.

Scott spent large portions of Sunday's win against St Kilda in the midfield to great effect, finishing with 17 disposals and three inside 50s, and indicated a move forward may even be on the cards in 2020.

"[Coach Nathan Burke] is pretty open about going where it's needed at the time. It could be midfield, it could be forward, it could be back, I'm not really locked down to a spot at the moment," Scott said.

"I think I'd be spending a little bit more time in the midfield this season, but it's just a rotational thing, I guess.

"It'll probably be more forward or mid, but it'll just be whatever the game calls for at the time. Whatever 'Burkey' says, goes."

The tough 29-year-old made headlines for a heavy but fair bump on Saint Nadia von Bertouch and doesn't plan to change her attack on the ball.

"I didn't think we were going to collect, but she got pushed into my path, and it all happened so quickly that I just thought about getting the ball and I didn't think about too much else," Scott said.

"I sat on the ground for a bit because I was so shocked with how quickly she popped up. You can see me sitting there, [but] I just loved how quickly she got up and trotted off. For me, that's what footy's about. You go hard and all you're thinking about is that football, but at the end of the day you shake hands, and what happens on the field stays there.

"At times, it gets you a bit fiery for that next contest, it gets your blood pumping a bit.

"It's great, the crowd involvement, and that's one of the great excitements for me playing here is the Doggies faithful that comes out. It gets so loud, so I'm excited for our pups who haven't played here yet, because that first time you hear it, it's not something you'll ever forget."

The Western Bulldogs will be hosting Melbourne on Friday night at VU Whitten Oval, playing for the Hampson-Hardeman Cup.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/02/12/05232793-08e8-4cae-a015-ab4d07f33550/PC120220KD04.JPG?width=1064&height=600

Named for women's footy pioneers Barb Hampson and Lisa Hardeman – the duo who developed the first women's national championships in 1998 – the two clubs originally played a series of exhibition matches in the mid-2010s before the establishment of AFLW.

"It all kicked off in 2013, I was wearing a Bulldogs jumper. I think I spent three games with the Bulldogs and then moved over to Melbourne," Melbourne midfielder Karen Paxman said.

"A fair bit of history there, and it's quite a significant match this Friday night and holds a bit more to it than just a normal round, so I think we're all excited to get out there.

"We've got a lot of girls who have played together and against each other in the past, so it's nice to see some familiar faces."

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/563021/versatile-scott-ready-for-coach-s-command)

Hotdog60
13-02-2020, 07:30 PM
https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/02/13/d1672fdf-b0f2-47de-a8ae-2d8df700b5a3/HERO_130220AFLW.jpg?width=952&height=592

The Western Bulldogs have been forced to make two changes to their side for their first home game of the season against Melbourne this Friday night.

Draftee and former Oakleigh Charger Amelia Van Oosterwijck will make her red, white and blue debut in the 10th instalment of the Hampson-Hardeman Cup, while Eleanor Brown appears in the line-up for the first time this season.

They replace Celine Moody (ankle) and Izzy Huntington (concussion), who sustained injuries in the Bulldogs’ season-opener last Sunday.

Both Van Oosterwijck and Brown have been named on the interchange bench, alongside Dani Marshall, Nicole Callinan and Hannah Scott.

The last time the Bulldogs and Demons met was in Round 6 last year, with Melbourne recording a nail-biting one-point win in front of over 10,000 fans at Marvel Stadium.

They have clashed nine times since the first exhibition match in 2013, with the Bulldogs winning three of those contests.

Both sides recorded 2020 opening round wins - the Dogs impressing with a 25-point triumph over St Kilda, and the Dees edging out the Kangaroos by two points at Casey Fields.

The match will be televised live on Channel 7 and Fox Footy from 7.30pm, with the first bounce at 7.40pm.

Admission is free, with seats also available undercover in the Whitten Stand in case of rain.

Make sure you’re following @BulldogsW on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for all the latest updates.

AFLW ROUND 2
Western Bulldogs v Melbourne
Friday 14 February, 7.40pm AEDT
VU Whitten Oval

B: Angelica Gogos, Lauren Spark
HB: Katy Herron, Ellyse Gamble, Naomi Ferres
C: Bailey Hunt, Kirsty Lamb, Gemma Lagioia
F: Elisabeth Georgostathis, Deanna Berry
Foll: Kim Rennie, Ellie Blackburn, Aisling McCarthy
Int: Eleanor Brown, Dani Marshall, Nicole Callinan
Hannah Scott, Amelia Van Oosterwijck
Emer: Nell Morris-Dalton, Hannah Munyard

In: E. Brown, A. Van Oosterwijck.
Out: C. Moody (ankle), I. Huntington (concussion).

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/563342/aflw-team-round-2)

bornadog
13-02-2020, 11:35 PM
Great video of Van Oosterwijck being told she will debut - https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/563337/burkey-s-debut-challenge?videoId=563337&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1581577200001

Testekill
14-02-2020, 08:44 PM
Already a lot of one handed "handballs" being ignored. Umpiring standard has to be improved

Testekill
14-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Stupid that we're not playing in front. A wet ball is always going to fall short so being in the back will stop nothing

Hotdog60
14-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Well that was disappointing.
I only managed to see the last half and we never looked in it.
Daisy is most likely a very nice person but the way the media carry on about her she inadvertently becoming a player I can't stand.

The Underdog
14-02-2020, 10:38 PM
Well that was disappointing.
I only managed to see the last half and we never looked in it.
Daisy is most likely a very nice person but the way the media carry on about her she inadvertently because a player I can't stand.

We never looked in it at any point. Tactically outpointed, poor decision making, awful skill level. Bad night at the office.

bornadog
14-02-2020, 11:46 PM
We never looked in it at any point. Tactically outpointed, poor decision making, awful skill level. Bad night at the office.

Skills were appalling,and Melbourne more prepared to put their head down over the ball.

Testekill
15-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Groves had some very choice words for Birch on twitter.

Bulldog4life
15-02-2020, 12:46 PM
Groves had some very choice words for Birch on twitter.

Former coach Paul Groves set a cat among the pigeons after halftime.

“Most selfish player I’ve ever coached,” the premiership coach tweeted.

“Ungrateful. Cracks were caused by said person. You play footy to create friendships. Shame.”

The tweet didn’t last more than five minutes before it was wiped from his feed

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-demons/melbourne-claim-hard-fought-win-over-bulldogs-but-suffer-another-injury-scare/news-story/d634f83e04b92fe310781690d4c7f6c5

Testekill
15-02-2020, 12:48 PM
Former coach Paul Groves set a cat among the pigeons after halftime.

“Most selfish player I’ve ever coached,” the premiership coach tweeted.

“Ungrateful. Cracks were caused by said person. You play footy to create friendships. Shame.”

The tweet didn’t last more than five minutes before it was wiped from his feed

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-demons/melbourne-claim-hard-fought-win-over-bulldogs-but-suffer-another-injury-scare/news-story/d634f83e04b92fe310781690d4c7f6c5

Yeah, doesn't point a positive picture of Birch when she was talking about the club earlier.

Hotdog60
15-02-2020, 12:56 PM
I thought she could have given us more respected. Gushing over Pearce, was she poached.
Anyway good bye and I hope we have more success than you.

Happy Days
15-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Daisy is most likely a very nice person but the way the media carry on about her she inadvertently becoming a player I can't stand.

Last week Abbey Holmes on commentary actually praised her for dropping an uncontested chest mark because the ball happened to spill to another Melbourne player.

SonofScray
15-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Really poor performance. Wasn't really a great night to be at the footy. Had some old git crack it in the grandstand at my mate and I, for exactly what, I'm still uncertain.

comrade
18-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Anyone catch the snippet in the HS about Libby Birch having a crack at the club during an interview and Paul Groves sniping back on Twitter? Not a great look for all involved.

bornadog
18-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Anyone catch the snippet in the HS about Libby Birch having a crack at the club during an interview and Paul Groves sniping back on Twitter? Not a great look for all involved.

Yes it was all over twitter last week. Paul deleted the tweet pretty quickly. LB is an ungrateful so and so and I am glad to see the back of her.

SonofScray
18-02-2020, 06:42 PM
Yes it was all over twitter last week. Paul deleted the tweet pretty quickly. LB is an ungrateful so and so and I am glad to see the back of her.
What exactly were her comments?

bornadog
18-02-2020, 08:46 PM

Just a few things she said, I can't remember the exact words.

Axe Man
19-02-2020, 10:42 AM

Former Bulldog Libby Birch revealed as subject of ex-Bulldogs coach Paul Groves’ cryptic tweet (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/melbourne/melbourne-claim-hard-fought-win-over-bulldogs-but-suffer-another-injury-scare/news-story/d634f83e04b92fe310781690d4c7f6c5)

You didn’t have to be Inspector Clouseau to join the dots.

A minute after Channel 7 ran a feature interview during the halftime break of Friday night’s Western Bulldogs-Melbourne game, a tweet which rocked the AFLW world was posted.

We’re tipping former Western Bulldogs premiership coach Paul Groves was on his couch at home enjoying a nice bottle of red wine when he saw the interview.

It clearly hit a nerve with Groves deciding to drop this bomb on Twitter: “Most selfish player I’ve ever coached. Ungrateful. Cracks were caused by said person. You play footy to create friendships. Shame.”

Understandably the tweet caused quite a stir among Bulldogs officials whose first thoughts were that he was aiming at someone at the Whitten Oval, given he’d made a shock exit from the club last year for “family reasons”.

The detectives on social media went into meltdown as they tried to work out the identity before it became very clear who the former Dogs coach was taking aim at.

Libby Birch was the subject of the halftime interview, given she’d crossed over to the Demons this year after three seasons at the Dogs.

Birch is understood to be disappointed and hurt by the actions of her former coach.

She had been a mainstay of the Bulldogs line-up, gaining a premiership medal in 2018 and not missing a game for three years.

In the interview, Birch took a swipe at her old club suggesting that “cracks were appearing” and that she had “needed to go somewhere where I could challenge myself”.

She also said she no longer felt like she belonged at the Kennel.

This was clearly too much for Groves to digest, although he did take down the tweet from his protected account after 10 minutes.

By then, though, plenty of eyes had already seen it.

Groves, who was the inaugural Dogs coach, quit in June after three seasons.

bornadog
19-02-2020, 04:17 PM
To counter the above:

Blackburn denies Birch's claims of 'cracks' at the Bulldogs (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blackburn-denies-birch-s-claims-of-cracks-at-the-bulldogs-20200219-p542ca.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it)

bornadog
19-02-2020, 04:20 PM
AFLW Round 3 | Western Bulldogs vs Carlton

When: Saturday 22 February
Where: VU Whitten Oval, 417 Barkly St, Footscray

Gates Open: 1.30pm AEDT
Game Starts: 3.10pm AEDT
Broadcast: Foxtel and Channel 7, from 3pm. The match will also be streamed live on womens.afl (https://womens.afl/) and the Official AFLW app (https://womens.afl/discover/aflw/aflw-official-app).

Pride Jumpers for weekend: Ours is horrendous as it doesn't look like our jumper at all. Carlton's looks good

​https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.162%2C$multiply_2.1164%2C$ratio_1.5%2C$width_756%2C$ x_0%2C$y_13/t_crop_custom/q_62%2Cf_auto/257ad293414de3ceebfcc7fef824b5268e641475

Happy Days
19-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Yearly reminder that Carlton went out of their way specifically not to endorse the Yes vote.

Axe Man
19-02-2020, 04:45 PM
I've never had a migraine but looking at our jumper just may induce one.

Hotdog60
21-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Saturday, February 22
Western Bulldogs v Carlton, VU Whitten Oval, 3.10pm AEDT

WESTERN BULLDOGS

HB: K.Herron 31 E.Gamble 14 N.Ferres 16
C: B.Hunt 21 K.Lamb 27 G.Lagioia 12
Foll: K.Rennie 24 E.Blackburn - C 2 A.McCarthy 15
I/C: E.Brown 9 D.Marshall 26 I.Huntington 4 H.Scott 22 B.Lochland 1

Emerg: N.Callinan 10 H.Munyard 20

In: I.Huntington, B.Lochland
Out: N.Callinan, A.Van Oosterwijck

bornadog
21-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Saturday, February 22
Western Bulldogs v Carlton, VU Whitten Oval, 3.10pm AEDT

WESTERN BULLDOGS

HB: K.Herron 31 E.Gamble 14 N.Ferres 16
C: B.Hunt 21 K.Lamb 27 G.Lagioia 12
Foll: K.Rennie 24 E.Blackburn - C 2 A.McCarthy 15
I/C: E.Brown 9 D.Marshall 26 I.Huntington 4 H.Scott 22 B.Lochland 1

Emerg: N.Callinan 10 H.Munyard 20

In: I.Huntington, B.Lochland
Out: N.Callinan, A.Van Oosterwijck

Some great ins

Stevo
22-02-2020, 04:57 PM
We've pulled back into the contest now but we aren't playing good football. Conditions are near perfect and another bumper crowd has turned up.

Hotdog60
22-02-2020, 04:58 PM
Well we need to contain the Blues this quarter and then make the most of the wind in the last.

bornadog
22-02-2020, 05:32 PM
Big last quarter needed with the wind.

Hotdog60
22-02-2020, 05:56 PM
Blackburn was quite today basically poor for her standards.
McLeod's run was brilliant and to get a goal moments later was great play.

GVGjr
22-02-2020, 06:34 PM
We are a long way off the mark at the moment. Our skill level lets us down every game

Hotdog60
27-02-2020, 07:38 PM
https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/02/27/09733e18-5229-4cb7-9e55-7091de4a9ec6/1_TR171219DT98.JPG?width=952&height=592

Recruits Hannah Munyard, Britney Gutknecht and Ash Guest will make their red, white, and blue debuts on Saturday when the Bulldogs face expansion club West Coast at Leederville Oval.

Munyard, a two-time SANFLW South Adelaide premiership player, Gutknecht, a member of the 2019 Northern Knights premiership side, and Guest, a former Dee and Giant, will all start on the bench.

They replace Angelica Gogos (knee), Deanna Berry (concussion) and vice-captain Brooke Lochland (quad) in the line-up who will miss through injuries.

Both the Bulldogs and Eagles will enter Saturday’s clash on the back of losses, with the Eagles yet to record their maiden AFLW win.

The match will also be leader Kirsty Lamb’s 25th AFLW appearance.

The game will be televised live on 7mate and Fox Footy from 7pm AEDT, with the first bounce at 7.10pm AEDT (4.10pm AWST) at Leederville Oval.

Make sure you’re following @BulldogsW on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for all the latest updates.

AFLW ROUND 4
West Coast v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 29 February, 7.10pm AEDT (4.10pm AWST)
Leederville Oval, WA

B: Ellyse Gamble, Lauren Spark,
HB: Katy Herron, Izzy Huntington, Naomi Ferres
C: Bailey Hunt, Kirsty Lamb, Gemma Lagioia
F: Danielle Marshall, Elisabeth Georgostathis
R: Kim Rennie, Ellie Blackburn, Aisling McCarthy
Int: Eleanor Brown, Ash Guest, Hannah Munyard,
Hannah Scott, Britney Gutknecht
Emer: Nicole Callinan, Amelia Van Oosterwijck

In: A. Guest, H. Munyard, B. Gutknecht.
Out: A. Gogos (knee), D. Berry (concussion), B. Lochland (quad).

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/569117/aflw-team-round-4)

Bulldog Joe
28-02-2020, 10:25 AM
I think the girls are likely to give West Coast their 1st win.

Travelling is a problem with only Adelaide and Brisbane having recorded an interstate victory. Both, interestingly, recorded against Geelong at Geelong.

This is West Coast's 1st hosting of an interstate team.

Hotdog60
29-02-2020, 09:58 PM
Well that was close. I only caught the last 10 mins but we had a chance to pinch a win but weren't good enough.
You were on the money BJ.

jazzadogs
01-03-2020, 09:47 PM
The girls were pretty unlucky yesterday.

The winning WC goal was an accidental backheel in the goal square while the player was falling over, and Kirsten McLeod kicked a goal less than a second after the 3 quarter time siren.

We need to improve our skills across the board - kicking, marking, decision making - but that's to be expected when we are fielding such a young squad post-expansion raids.

Hotdog60
01-03-2020, 11:54 PM
The one thing I have noticed across the board is that the younger players are looking a lot more polished than in the first few years.
Within games you can get more running plays with very good skills by hand and foot.
It will be chalk and cheese when there 10th anniversary comes up.

bornadog
03-03-2020, 11:29 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESI-ib5VUAE1y6S?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
04-03-2020, 01:45 PM
AFLW Round 5 | Collingwood v Western Bulldogs

When: Sunday 8 March

Where: Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers St, Morwell VIC 3840

Gates Open: TBC

Game Starts: 1.10pm AEDT

Axe Man
04-03-2020, 01:49 PM
AFLW Round 5 | Collingwood v Western Bulldogs

When: Sunday 8 March

Where: Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers St, Morwell VIC 3840

Gates Open: TBC

Game Starts: 1.10pm AEDT

I should be there, manning a food tent for my footy club.

Hotdog60
04-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Toogood out for 3 weeks with a low grade PCL

Hotdog60
05-03-2020, 07:54 PM
AFLW ROUND 5

Collingwood v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 8 March, 1.10pm AEDT
Morwell Recreation Reserve

C: Bailey Hunt, Kirsty Lamb, Brooke Lochland
HF: Gabby Newton, Kim Rennie, Kirsten McLeod
F: Dani Marshall, Elisabeth Georgostathis
R: Celine Moody, Ellie Blackburn, Aisling McCarthy
Int: Eleanor Brown, Dee Berry, Gemma Lagioia,
Hannah Scott, Hannah Munyard, Ash Guest,
Britney Gutknecht.

Bulldog4life
07-03-2020, 01:55 PM
AFLW ROUND 5

Collingwood v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 8 March, 1.10pm AEDT
Morwell Recreation Reserve

F: Dani Marshall, Elisabeth Georgostathis
Int: Eleanor Brown, Dee Berry, Gemma Lagioia,
Hannah Scott, Hannah Munyard, Ash Guest,
Britney Gutknecht.

I still prefer Scott in the backline rather than all over the field.

Hotdog60
07-03-2020, 04:03 PM
I still prefer Scott in the backline rather than all over the field.

I tend to agree. I think it allows Spark a little more freedom rather than a lock down type.

Bulldog4life
08-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Our girls have struggled since round one. A lot of fumbling and tackles that don't stick today.

Hotdog60
08-03-2020, 03:51 PM
I know we're not playing the best but a little consistency from the umpire wouldn't go astray.
I'm just about had enough of how the women's games are officiated.

Bulldog4life
08-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Five goal beating.

Bulldog4life
08-03-2020, 03:56 PM
I know we're not playing the best but a little consistency from the umpire wouldn't go astray.
I'm just about had enough of how the women's games are officiated.

Yes the umpiring was puzzling. They were on the receiving end of a lot of the frees. Not sure if Scott was injured or not. Only saw her get one or two kicks.

Axe Man
08-03-2020, 03:58 PM
I saw a few of the decisions close up and they were baffling.

Hotdog60
12-03-2020, 08:14 PM
AFLW SQUAD | Round 6

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/03/12/7f909c8d-d5ac-42d0-a796-955d175f9d33/Nell-Article-Hero.JPG?width=952&height=592

The Western Bulldogs will debut another player from their 2019 draft class this weekend, with Nell Morris-Dalton named to face Fremantle.

The former Northern Knight premiership player was taken with the Bulldogs’ second selection in the draft last year, and has been named at full-forward in a 23-player squad for Sunday’s clash at VU Whitten Oval.

Morris-Dalton had a major impact in the 2019 NAB League Girls’ finals campaign, slotting seven goals from two matches to earn herself a spot in the 2019 Team of the Year.

Nicole Callinan and Britney Gutknecht have been added to an extended interchange, while Hannah Scott has been omitted.

The squad of 23 will be narrowed down to a team of 21 at 4pm on Friday.

Ellyse Gamble, who was a late withdrawal last week with a quad injury, will miss again.

The Bulldogs enter the meeting off the back of a 32-point loss to Collingwood away, while Fremantle is undefeated this season.

It will also be the Dogs’ first game back home at VU Whitten Oval since Round 3.

The match will be televised live on Fox Footy from 1pm, with the first bounce at 1.10pm this Sunday.

Please note the pre-game HIIT workout, Fan Zone and Gage Roads Garden Bar will not go ahead this weekend. We apologise for any inconveniences caused and thank you for your understanding.

Due to the West Footscray Festival, Barkly Street will be closed both directions between Market St and Russell St from 7am to 9pm on Sunday March 15th. The event runs from 11am to 4pm and is free. Plan your journey to the game at ptv.vic.gov.au.

AFLW ROUND 6

Western Bulldogs v Fremantle
Sunday 15 March, 1.10pm AEDT
VU Whitten Oval

B: Ash Guest, Lauren Spark
HB: Eleanor Brown, Izzy Huntington, Naomi Ferres
F: Nell Morris-Dalton, Gemma Lagioia
Int: Dee Berry, Nicole Callinan, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Britney Gutknecht, Hannah Munyard, Dani Marshall, Katy Herron.

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/575577/aflw-squad-round-6)

bornadog
12-03-2020, 11:40 PM
Freo will be hard to beat, but you never know

Hotdog60
13-03-2020, 07:35 AM
I don't have much faith in this one but being it's on home turf might make a difference.
Interesting that Scott has been dropped and may be Burke has lost patience with her and some of the tough stuff that produces poor results for us with silly free kicks.
But in her defense some of those she has been hard done by.
It will be nice to pinch a win against some good opposition to give some confidence for the rest of the season.

Bulldog Joe
13-03-2020, 10:50 AM
Freo will be hard to beat, but you never know

Freo have been going well, but only fell over the line against St Kilda in their only match outside of Perth.

The record of interstate travellers is actually poor. Might be worth a small investment particular at 15 points in.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Dogs leading 12=8 at qtr time. We did have the wind in that quarter and Freo got their goal in the final seconds.
We lost key defender Spark and goal sneak Lockland before the game so we've got a fairly young side.
Must say we probably played our best quarter for the season. A lot of drive from 1st & 2nd year players. Brown, Huntington, Newton and first gamer Morris-Dalton all look dangerous. And i love the way McLeod plays.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 02:34 PM
And the Irish girl Heron looks very good.

Testekill
15-03-2020, 02:35 PM
Watching this with no crowd is so surreal

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Fantastic goal against the wind by blackburn!

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 02:36 PM
*****Game is on afl website*******

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 03:00 PM
Fantastic effort by the girls to be only 2 points down at half time.
We are definitely playing with more poise. It's like Burke's game plan is beginning to click.
Huntington killing it at half back. Reminiscent of the way Chris Grant used to play.
Would love to be down at the ground. Maybe i could slip on my bulldogs polo and pretend i'm on the coaching panel. Security could surely be bribed.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 03:15 PM
Wonderful snap from McLeod!

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 03:20 PM
Berry snaps - goal.

That's 3 goals to nil in 6 minutes.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 03:31 PM
dogs by 4 at 3 qtr time. Could this be the biggest upset since we knocked off Hawthorn at Princes Park in '83???

bornadog
15-03-2020, 03:35 PM
Need to not panic and hold our head and not make mistakes. Freo got back into the game that quarter and will be coming hard.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 03:44 PM
A snap by the American Marshall and we're back in front!

bornadog
15-03-2020, 03:45 PM
Noooo

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Freo run away with it but a watershed match for our girls. We have a real bright future. A record aggregate aflw match.

bornadog
15-03-2020, 04:02 PM
Freo run away with it but a watershed match for our girls. We have a real bright future. A record aggregate aflw match.

The inexperience showed, but a good competitive hitout

josie
15-03-2020, 04:15 PM
Great to hear it was a high scoring match. You’d think our Team will be much better next year. Go Girls!!

Happy Days
15-03-2020, 04:19 PM
That was a great game but there’s gotta be questions asked about our strength and conditioning program; our tackling was extremely poor and maybe even cost us the game.

Huntington has to start playing forward. The strength of clean chances at shots on goal her marking can make can’t be overstated in this competition.

bornadog
15-03-2020, 04:32 PM
That was a great game but there’s gotta be questions asked about our strength and conditioning program; our tackling was extremely poor and maybe even cost us the game.

Huntington has to start playing forward. The strength of clean chances at shots on goal her marking can make can’t be overstated in this competition.

Do you think some of the younger players don't have the strength yet to stick tackles?

Hotdog60
15-03-2020, 05:08 PM
I only saw half a game (Damn daylight saving I always get caught out) and we need to get better at one take.
The constant fumbling put you under too much pressure.

Dancin' Douggy
15-03-2020, 05:25 PM
Overall that was about the best aflw game I've seen. Good clean flowing footy, Lots of good marking and the scoreboard kept ticking over. Loved the game from Nell Morris-Dalton. And Izzy Huntington is really becoming the champion I always knew she would be.

Spewing we lost it at the end but Fremantle were very good.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 07:07 PM

She probably will next season. But with Spark and Scott out today she had to play there. Losing Birch to Melbourne was a big loss. Toogood will definitely hold one of the key forward spots. And i really liked the debut game of Morris-Dalton at full forward.

A pre season in the gym will definitely help a lot of the younger players.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 07:11 PM
To have 6 18 year olds play today who all showed their class at different stages bodes well for the future.
I still think a bumper parochial home crowd could have got us the win.

Testekill
15-03-2020, 09:47 PM
I was a respectable, honourable loss. This was almost always going to be a development season just based on how many inexperienced players that we have and I think the club would have been absolutely chuffed with today's result against the in form team.

bornadog
15-03-2020, 09:54 PM
I was a respectable, honourable loss. This was almost always going to be a development season just based on how many inexperienced players that we have and I think the club would have been absolutely chuffed with today's result against the in form team.

Lets hope we keep all the young recruits for next year

Dancin' Douggy
15-03-2020, 10:43 PM
I have to say, I love the aflw. there's some sincerity, comeraderie and heart there that just seems so genuine and infectious (maybe not the right word atm). That big front on bump to Izzy Huntington, while she was sandwiched between 2 players was so bloody hard and tough, and she just got up and ran to wherever she needed to be to help the team. Show that to those sissy men rolling around on the ground, clutching their legs in some kind of inconceivable stratosphere of total agony, after being ALMOST touched in a tackle. These are men playing at the the absolute TOP LEVEL in international soccer, men who are earning millions, MILLIONS!!!.
Go Izzy. Go girls. Go women. I am 100% in you corner. And they should pay you more

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2020, 11:42 PM
I have to say, I love the aflw. there's some sincerity, comeraderie and heart there that just seems so genuine and infectious (maybe not the right word atm). That big front on bump to Izzy Huntington, while she was sandwiched between 2 players was so bloody hard and tough, and she just got up and ran to wherever she needed to be to help the team. Show that to those sissy men rolling around on the ground, clutching their legs in some kind of inconceivable stratosphere of total agony, after being ALMOST touched in a tackle. These are men playing at the the absolute TOP LEVEL in international soccer, men who are earning millions, MILLIONS!!!.
Go Izzy. Go girls. Go women. I am 100% in you corner. And they should pay you more

Well said Dancin'.

bornadog
17-03-2020, 02:47 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1239693084868268033/pG8W8UWy?format=jpg&name=medium

Axe Man
19-03-2020, 01:56 PM
AFLW Bulldogs season is done, finals to start this weekend.

Twodogs
19-03-2020, 02:19 PM
AFLW Bulldogs season is done, finals to start this weekend.

Thank god for that. I can't remember such a frustrating season men, women or boys.

Let's just delete the thread and never talk about it again.

HOSE B ROMERO
21-03-2020, 07:28 PM
If you're sick to death of the 'C' words (Coronavirus and Collingwood), I can recommend having a look at the goodbye videos from the retiring Nicole Callinan and the two Irish girls who are heading back to Ireland. Their emotion is a reminder of what our club means to them.
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/578909/callinan-calls-time

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/578854/irish-duo-head-home

HOSE B ROMERO
21-03-2020, 07:28 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/578909/callinan-calls-time

bornadog
27-04-2020, 11:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWl7LRAUwAA6LrS?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Axe Man
28-04-2020, 12:02 PM
I don't watch much women's footy but did Blackburn have a poor year? From what I have seen she is a class above 95% of the other players. How does she miss selection here?

bornadog
28-04-2020, 01:11 PM
I don't watch much women's footy but did Blackburn have a poor year? From what I have seen she is a class above 95% of the other players. How does she miss selection here?

She was nominated but didn't get in

bornadog
28-04-2020, 11:58 PM
https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/SbYdnrj3wnEVTdvDVFnlW9X4IksW2iNL91x6oqDz_yrNelpXWIfEQXI4Gc5r Mr7EG0ugfv6ra-4cOP_ZzicKujDZXa4qQc1GWn1t9UVKfhU1dsF2wE7uD6u-FWjD-EMOYoHUVwJLUh3Er9-52kvVoRZI4xNG9SlQYMRquCjm=s0-d-e1-ft#http://image.tmclient.ticketmaster.com/lib/fe9515707d640c7871/m/11/c32fd635-75ac-4609-b075-b38032d0c321.jpg

read here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/587760?camefrom=EMCL_3282078_156677511)

Hotdog60
29-04-2020, 07:12 AM

Just a personal opinion but I thought Blackburn has been down on pervious seasons. It could be the other mids in other teams have progressed and can win their own ball more and she lacked some support in the middle.

She seemed to get votes when I thought she was down so it all could be perception.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-04-2020, 06:29 PM
Just a personal opinion but I thought Blackburn has been down on pervious seasons. It could be the other mids in other teams have progressed and can win their own ball more and she lacked some support in the middle.

She seemed to get votes when I thought she was down so it all could be perception.

Yeah, without Kearney and Conti, a lot was put on to her shoulders. Plus the captaincy. Hopefully she will have a bit more support next year.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-04-2020, 06:30 PM
https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/SbYdnrj3wnEVTdvDVFnlW9X4IksW2iNL91x6oqDz_yrNelpXWIfEQXI4Gc5r Mr7EG0ugfv6ra-4cOP_ZzicKujDZXa4qQc1GWn1t9UVKfhU1dsF2wE7uD6u-FWjD-EMOYoHUVwJLUh3Er9-52kvVoRZI4xNG9SlQYMRquCjm=s0-d-e1-ft#http://image.tmclient.ticketmaster.com/lib/fe9515707d640c7871/m/11/c32fd635-75ac-4609-b075-b38032d0c321.jpg

read here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/587760?camefrom=EMCL_3282078_156677511)

Fantastic effort. She can play at both ends and is going to be a star if her knees don't cause her problems.

bornadog
01-05-2020, 12:00 AM
Well she has gone one further.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1255828188573216768/QQ01BGnK?format=jpg&name=900x900

Grantysghost
01-05-2020, 11:06 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1255828188573216768/QQ01BGnK?format=jpg&name=900x900

If you haven't watched the presentation to her on the club's website I encourage you to do so. The passion the girls have for the club is second to none and I really found myself getting emotional when Izzy was speaking (who's chopping onions!), what a wonderful ambassador for our team. I loved the reference to Chris Grant as "Isabella's dad" ! Nathan Burke was fantastic too.

bornadog
01-05-2020, 01:13 PM

Final standings:
Isabel Huntington – 44 votes
Ellie Blackburn - 41
Kirsten McLeod - 30
Aisling McCarthy - 27
Elizabeth Georgostathis - 24
Kirsty Lamb - 23