PDA

View Full Version : Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

bornadog
14-02-2020, 06:49 PM
link (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-set-for-three-pronged-afl-attack-c-697807?utm_campaign=share-icons&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&tid=1581656726276)

https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-697807/18c7f7671403e7b2f68efb2664df2bc4cedb2fba-16x9-x0y0w1304h734.png?imwidth=650&impolicy=sevennews_v2

Josh Schache has no doubt the Western Bulldogs can deploy a three-pronged attack against Collingwood in round one.
The 22-year-old is fully aware that fielding himself (199cm), ex-Saint Josh Bruce (197cm) and Aaron Naughton (195cm) would make for one of the AFL’s more top-heavy forward lines.

But Schache believes the trio have enough points of difference to co-exist.
“I definitely feel confident we can all play in the same team,” he told AAP on Friday.

“We all bring different things to the table - whether that’s getting up the ground for me, or Brucey and Naughton taking contested marks.”
The Seymour product, currently back home on a four-day break, said he had relished the chance to learn from Bruce, who booted 168 goals in 99 games for St Kilda before crossing to Whitten Oval.

But another part of Schache’s football education came through an elimination finals exit at the hands of Greater Western Sydney, which ended his first
“Going out like that - it really stays with you,” the fifth-year player said.
“The intensity, the atmosphere, even the build up was huge ... and that drives you to want more.”

The Western Bulldogs were hit with two hamstring injuries - to veteran defender Easton Wood and utility Lin Jong - earlier this week.
But Schache said an otherwise clean bill had injected some healthy pressure on all players to perform ahead of his side’s first pre-season game next Friday night against North Melbourne.

https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-697807/fbacb4781cb25efd74428a216b465f5462be68b7.jpg?imwidth=650&impolicy=sevennews_v2

New draftee Cody Weightman is pushing for an early debut. Credit: Daniel Pockett/Getty Images

And part of this competition for spots, he believes, could well come from the Bulldogs’ No.15 draft pick Cody Weightman, a small forward with some razzle-dazzle.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if Cody debuted this year,” Schache said.

“He’s really classy and always knows where the goals are, but his forward pressure and athleticism have also been impressive - he’s taken a few nice marks at training.”
“He’s definitely got a bag of tricks.”

jeemak
14-02-2020, 06:52 PM
That's not Weightman.

GVGjr
14-02-2020, 07:04 PM
That's not Weightman.

Yep, it's Roarke Smith

Axe Man
14-02-2020, 07:07 PM
Because if it doesn't work Josh might be playing at Footscray?

Axe Man
14-02-2020, 07:08 PM
That's not Weightman.

Photo in the link is correct though.

GVGjr
14-02-2020, 07:54 PM

Perhaps but there is a chance he could be played on a wing or in the back half

bornadog
14-02-2020, 11:55 PM
That's not Weightman.

Fixed, original link had wrong photo, and I didn't look carefully

dog town
15-02-2020, 08:28 AM
Perhaps but there is a chance he could be played on a wing or in the back half There is zero reason to play him on the wing in my view. He could play back but would need games at Footscray first.

I’m a little bit concerned that we are all in for this three pronged tall forward line. I hope like crazy that I am wrong and it works perfectly but if it doesnt we can’t afford to waste 4-5 rounds working on it.

Hotdog60
15-02-2020, 10:23 AM
If we go in with the three pronged attack I think we will need some willing smalls around the packs to keep the ball in.
Or we could build the wall a little further back for the turn over.

ledge
15-02-2020, 11:11 AM
I think Schache will ruck a bit as well so I’m thinking if he plays up the ground and in the ruck he won’t be up forward much at all, I guess it depends who we play and how our other talls are faring on game day, he is another option if ones having a bad day.

bornadog
15-02-2020, 01:59 PM
I think Schache will ruck a bit as well so I’m thinking if he plays up the ground and in the ruck he won’t be up forward much at all, I guess it depends who we play and how our other talls are faring on game day, he is another option if ones having a bad day.

Bruce has also played as a second ruck for the Saints, so that will also be an option. I would like to keep Naughton out of all ruck duties

ledge
15-02-2020, 02:06 PM
Bruce has also played as a second ruck for the Saints, so that will also be an option. I would like to keep Naughton out of all ruck duties

I agree Naughton stays forward.

GVGjr
15-02-2020, 02:20 PM

Most St Kilda supporters that I know didn't rate Bruce as a 2nd string ruckman. He will probably share that role with Schache if the 3 tall forwards option works but I think Schache might potentially be the better option.

Bulldog4life
15-02-2020, 02:50 PM
Most St Kilda supporters that I know didn't rate Bruce as a 2nd string ruckman. He will probably share that role with Schache if the 3 tall forwards option works but I think Schache might potentially be the better option.

Schache initially in the juniors played ruck. Maybe because of his height I guess.

Rocket Science
15-02-2020, 04:09 PM
I'm not convinced by this top-heavy, 'too tall' narrative that's being advanced by lazy meeja types.

Schache might be the tallest of the trio but he's a mobile flanker in a key-position player's body. His height, athleticism and willingness to work make him a tricky matchup, particularly if he's getting the '3rd best' defender.

Furthermore Naughton & Bruce are hardly plodding dinosaurs. Naughts particularly has surprised more than a few rebounding defenders with his toe and tenacity once the ball hits the deck. Assume you've got the big bloke covered at your peril. The tackles he lays when he collars someone are a joy to watch.

I'm bullish the three-headed hydra can work, and work well but it's a novel set-up for everyone so it'll take some time to develop the right chemistry to get there ... assuming Bevo has that sort of patience before sending someone to CHB.

mjp
15-02-2020, 04:15 PM
It can work some weeks. We will love it.

It won’t work other weeks. We will bemoan it.

I have no idea how we could play that tall (assuming Dale who is not a ground level player really plays as well...not to mention Dickson) and kick a winning score from week to week.

GVGjr
15-02-2020, 04:28 PM
It can work some weeks. We will love it.

It won’t work other weeks. We will bemoan it.

I have no idea how we could play that tall (assuming Dale who is not a ground level player really plays as well...not to mention Dickson) and kick a winning score from week to week.

We've tried 2 KP forwards with 3 mid sized players along side of them. Playing 3 KP forwards poses some other challenges and might mean we need 2 smaller pressure forwards in the forward line and that puts a bit of pressure on the likes of Lloyd, Dickson and Dale

Lloyd and Dale in particular were often recipients of a midfield kicking to them and honoring their leads so I wonder if a 3rd key forward will command more of a focus from the midfield. The likes of Lloyd and Dale might need to refine their games just a bit from last season

Fitting Schache, Naughton and Bruce up forward is going to be an interesting challenge for Bevo

dog town
15-02-2020, 05:35 PM
I'm not convinced by this top-heavy, 'too tall' narrative that's being advanced by lazy meeja types.

Schache might be the tallest of the trio but he's a mobile flanker in a key-position player's body. His height, athleticism and willingness to work make him a tricky matchup, particularly if he's getting the '3rd best' defender.

Furthermore Naughton & Bruce are hardly plodding dinosaurs. Naughts particularly has surprised more than a few rebounding defenders with his toe and tenacity once the ball hits the deck. Assume you've got the big bloke covered at your peril. The tackles he lays when he collars someone are a joy to watch.

I'm bullish the three-headed hydra can work, and work well but it's a novel set-up for everyone so it'll take some time to develop the right chemistry to get there ... assuming Bevo has that sort of patience before sending someone to CHB. My concerns have nothing to do with whether they are mobile enough in an attacking sense. They are all ok in their own right and can cover ground well enough. As a unit with our defensive method I question how we can close space to defend quick enough.

dog town
15-02-2020, 05:39 PM
We've tried 2 KP forwards with 3 mid sized players along side of them. Playing 3 KP forwards poses some other challenges and might mean we need 2 smaller pressure forwards in the forward line and that puts a bit of pressure on the likes of Lloyd, Dickson and Dale

Lloyd and Dale in particular were often recipients of a midfield kicking to them and honoring their leads so I wonder if a 3rd key forward will command more of a focus from the midfield. The likes of Lloyd and Dale might need to refine their games just a bit from last season

Fitting Schache, Naughton and Bruce up forward is going to be an interesting challenge for Bevo This is another issue. Dale is essentially a KPP. He may be more mobile and not quite that big but his method of getting the ball is lead and mark. Have had similar scenarios at a lower level before and your 4/5/6 forwards might be in your best 15 players but you can’t necessarily play them all.

bornadog
15-02-2020, 05:41 PM
My concerns have nothing to do with whether they are mobile enough in an attacking sense. They are all ok in their own right and can cover ground well enough. As a unit with our defensive method I question how we can close space to defend quick enough.

My gut feel is we won't see all three on the ground at the same time throughout the whole game. We will use rotations through both the forward line and Ruck roles.

GVGjr
15-02-2020, 07:22 PM
My gut feel is we won't see all three on the ground at the same time throughout the whole game. We will use rotations through both the forward line and Ruck roles.

Of course there will be times when we have one or or even two of them off the ground but essentially we have flagged our intentions to work with the 3 of them up forward as tall forward unit. Unless there are injuries I suspect we will have 3 tall forwards for 70% of the playing time. One of them will also provide a chop out for English

bornadog
16-02-2020, 12:32 AM
Of course there will be times when we have one or or even two of them off the ground but essentially we have flagged our intentions to work with the 3 of them up forward as tall forward unit. Unless there are injuries I suspect we will have 3 tall forwards for 70% of the playing time. One of them will also provide a chop out for English

Time will tell

GVGjr
16-02-2020, 01:50 AM
Time will tell

I guess the question is do you think we recruited a player who kicks 30 plus goals a year to spread the load of interchanges?

Testekill
16-02-2020, 11:37 AM
Schache has a huge tank and covers a ton of ground per game, we'll be able to make it work.

Mofra
17-02-2020, 11:04 AM
Adelaide made a GF playing 4 tall players, and we're concerned about playing three?

I say give it a chance to work. Schache is a lead and mark player, Naughton and Bruce are contested marking types.
The question for me isn't if we can play Schache with Naughton and Bruce, it's can we play Schache with Dale. Dale is more mobile and smarter, Schache a much harder worker.

dog town
17-02-2020, 12:18 PM
Adelaide made a GF playing 4 tall players, and we're concerned about playing three?

I say give it a chance to work. Schache is a lead and mark player, Naughton and Bruce are contested marking types.
The question for me isn't if we can play Schache with Naughton and Bruce, it's can we play Schache with Dale. Dale is more mobile and smarter, Schache a much harder worker. That Adelaide team played a completely different game style.

mjp
17-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Adelaide made a GF playing 4 tall players, and we're concerned about playing three.

I am. And in that GF, Richmond played 1x tall forward and 2x tall defenders...and wiped Adelaide off the park with run and pressure. It is a good comparison as well because Schache isn’t a dissimilar type to Walker.

I Justin think it is going to be one of those things where in Naughts is catching them and drawing defenders, it’ll be great...otherwise...

Oh. And I don’t think Dale and Schache can both be in the side.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 11:01 PM
The TV commentators shit me to tears with Josh. The question his ‘work rate’ despite it being very good. They ignore him kicking 19.5 when coming in to the team late last year. They ignore he is 22 and 200cm.

Tonight they ignore the constant scragging without frees, although the umps fixed that in the second half. They ignore all his work up the ground and second rucking. Then when he kicks 2.0 and 7 score involvements, and gets 18 disposals at 89% (half contested), 4 marks and did a lot of smart things for team mates to score that the star sheet doesn’t show. On physicality he took some big hits and laid a great tackle at chb to stop the North repeat entries. He then passed it laterally to get to chf to be the target in the next pack. But work rate...

Then the commentators are silent. Of criticism or praise. I’m not sure why this non fact based narrative is back in 2020. Is this the best we can all hope for is, commentator silence when Josh continues to do his job? It’s getting close to the media narrative that ‘Tom Boyd should fail’.

GVGjr
22-02-2020, 08:09 AM
I think we are about to see a more focused Josh Schache this year. He was more physical last night, blocking defenders to help Young up forward and his work around the ground and that brilliant tap to Bont I thought were all huge positives in his performance
Some can write off achievements like last night because it's not a home and away or finals game but seeing some of the things that Schache did last night is why I really enjoy going to training sessions, intraclub games and things like the Marsh series games because you get the chance to focus on a few players and see if they have improved on the previous year.
Schache is a strong chance to take a step forward this year.

comrade
17-07-2020, 03:39 PM
So after 6 rounds Schache finds himself dropped after a shocking performance in conditions that didn't suit him.

So the question is...

What the hell do we do with him?

He'll never be the top banana in a forward line, and the way we set up just doesn't seem to take advantage of his strengths. With Naughton to come back and JUH on his way, is it time to completely flip the script and try him in a different position entirely?

I honestly think we should consider developing him as a defender and see where it takes him. He reminds me of Liam Jones in a lot of ways, and we know how his move to defence has worked out for the Blues.

At 200cm, he has the length to take the big blokes that Keath and Cordy will always struggle with.

Thoughts?

Mofra
17-07-2020, 03:51 PM
So after 6 rounds Schache finds himself dropped after a shocking performance in conditions that didn't suit him.

So the question is...

He'll never be the top banana in a forward line, and the way we set up just doesn't seem to take advantage of his strengths. With Naughton to come back and JUH on his way, is it time to completely flip the script and try him in a different position entirely?

I honestly think we should consider developing him as a defender and see where it takes him. He reminds me of Liam Jones in a lot of ways, and we know how his move to defence has worked out for the Blues.

At 200cm, he has the length to take the big blokes that Keath and Cordy will always struggle with.

Thoughts?
He doesn't have that burst speed that Liam Jones has, nor the leap so I'm not sure it will work as well. Having said that, Roughy is playing solid football as a FB and he's not quick.

Schache does his best work when he can run and run and run - he covers midfielders Kms in game, sometimes more. If the game is congested you may as well sub him out as he just isn't good without space to work in.

azabob
17-07-2020, 03:57 PM

So the question is...

Thoughts?

How does he remind you of Liam Jones? My concern is he doesn't have the aerial gifts of say Liam Jones or Darcy Moore which could cover for his lack of intensity (perceived or real). He may have the length to take the big blokes but does he have the strength and one on one defensive nous?

His main strength is his aerobic capacity - he should be playing the old Bob Murphy role when he was our CHF but if the game or conditions don't suit he really does struggle.

The recruitment of Bruce, the preference of Bailey Dale and his own actions have really put him in no mans land.

bornadog
17-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Schache is still a young bloke and has plenty of improvement in him. He needs to work on his deficiencies and he will make his way back into the team.

comrade
17-07-2020, 04:13 PM
How does he remind you of Liam Jones?

A key position player who is struggling to have an impact forward.

Rocket Science
17-07-2020, 04:24 PM
A key position player who is struggling to have an impact forward.

The issue here though is that Schache's really a bruise-free flanker with key position height.

There's no real aerial dimension to his game, and he needs time and space to utilise his ample skills, two commodities in precious short supply in modern forward lines.

comrade
17-07-2020, 04:29 PM
The issue here though is that Schache's really a bruise-free flanker with key position height.

There's no real aerial dimension to his game, and he needs time and space to utilise his ample skills, two commodities in precious short supply in modern forward lines.

We don't need him to be dominate in the air as a defender. I'm happy for him to just negate the tall blokes we always struggle against, and use his footskills coming out of the defensive 50.

I'd just like to see how it goes. I'm still bitter we didn't try it ourselves with LJ and it was that basketcase Carlton that had some vision to try something different.

Because let's face, Schache is heading for the scrap heap if we continue to yo-yo him in and out of the side after every poor performance.

Sedat
18-07-2020, 03:50 AM
The player that Schache most resembles for mine is Matt Taberner, in terms of similar strengths and weaknesses (Taberner more advanced due to his age and experience). Tanerner is becoming a very consistent player after many years of inconsistent output - I think Schache is capable of eventually reaching that level if he continues to work hard on his deficiencies.

Bulldog4life
18-07-2020, 10:41 AM
Nothing to lose trying Schache out in the praccy matches they have in the backline. Unfortunately with no VFL matches it makes it difficult. I could imagine him more on the wing. Big engine and good field kick. Not the fastest going around but would prefer him there than La Young. Ability to kick goals too.

DOG GOD
18-07-2020, 05:53 PM
Moving Naughton Fwd has pretty much stamped Schaches papers as far as I’m concerned...unfortunately, coz I’m very much in the Naughton to defence Group.