PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Cup 2020 - Bulldogs vs North

GVGjr
14-02-2020, 08:17 PM
I haven't seen or read much on next Fridays game against North but while some here don't rate the pre-season games I'm all over it.

What are you looking forward to seeing the most?

Ideally for me it would be a mix of some of the younger players strutting their stuff and some of the more fringe based players getting a chance to impress

Players like Rhylee West, Bailey Smith, Lachie Young and Laitham Vandermeer from last year, fringe players like Ben Cavarra getting a chance to impress and to see if Fergus Greene can recover some form and spark.
Cody Weightman and Louis Butler should also be in the mix and I wonder where Bailey Williams fits in?

I'll also be interested to see if Bevo is going to trial some players in other positions and just how or 3 tall forwards will line-up. Most importantly we will probably get a glimpse of how prepared our players are in taking the game on.

Have you broken out of your summer slumber and are looking forward to the game or is the cue still in the rack until round one of the Home and Away season?

Twodogs
14-02-2020, 08:37 PM
Weightman. I want to see if Weightman may fit in and make a difference this year.

AndrewP6
14-02-2020, 09:20 PM
As long as there are no injuries, I’m not fussed.

jeemak
14-02-2020, 10:14 PM
I'll be expecting a really hit and miss performance and a bit like Andrew just want to get through the game healthy in the main.

You raise an interesting player in Greene. If he had have stayed healthy and playing well last year I wonder what would have become of Bailey Dale? Hopefully he doesn't take too long to get into things again, because having both he and Dale fit and fighting it out for one spot is going to be good for us broadly speaking.

Our opposition will come out and give it a really big run I think, they have a new coach and players will be wanting to prove things to him.

bornadog
14-02-2020, 11:49 PM
I am one that doesn't rate preseason games as it is there to practise our game plan and trial somethings for the main season. I am not fussed about the result either, but would be good to see some younger players ie those that haven't played many games, trying to make a case for a spot in the 22.

comrade
15-02-2020, 06:42 AM
Excited to see what physical nick we’re in and to get our first look at Weightman & co, but the actual result in the first game is pretty meaningless.

Unless we win by 10 goals, then the kid is off :D

Hotdog60
15-02-2020, 08:09 AM
To me its all about watching the new blood and hoping everyone gets through with a clean bill of health.
The itch for footy is well on the way by the time these games start and it just gets bigger seeing how the players present in the games.

From a membership point if we go well and look good it may create some numbers to get on board early.

dog town
15-02-2020, 08:30 AM
We will go in close to full strength for both games won’t we? Not much time to blood players when you only have two games.

AshMac
15-02-2020, 08:52 AM
Will be interested to see if we play two games at full strength, or the first game testing players and the second game a rehearsal for round 1.

Regardless - I’d love to see Ben Cavarra get a crack, so I’m hoping we play some more fringe players and get a look at them.

GVGjr
15-02-2020, 09:13 AM
We will go in close to full strength for both games won’t we? Not much time to blood players when you only have two games.

I think there will be a balance, particularly with a slightly bigger bench. Keath is probably an unlikely starter and with Wood, Liberatore, Duryea out there might be a few additional spots open.

GVGjr
15-02-2020, 09:17 AM
Will be interested to see if we play two games at full strength, or the first game testing players and the second game a rehearsal for round 1.

Regardless - I’d love to see Ben Cavarra get a crack, so I’m hoping we play some more fringe players and get a look at them.

I'd like to see Rhylee West, Lachie Young, Bailey Williams, Ben Cavarra and Cody Weightman given an early chance

BornInDroopSt'54
15-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Cavarra, Weightman, Greene, Gowers...
I like to see preseason games to sharpen my intuition about up and coming players and see the likes of Cody. Always enjoy a win too but if not, well worth it for the above.
Go the fringedwellers.

ledge
15-02-2020, 10:52 AM
I hope it’s bruise free quick football and our forwards get plenty of shots at goal and don’t miss easy ones !
I always find it hard with new jumper numbers and the new players gait to recognise them so it’s my get to know players by their body type warm up.
By round 1 I recognise and know their numbers.
Result doesn’t matter as long as we don’t get smashed.
I’m also interested in Bailey Smith because of what he achieved last year with limited pre season.

Eastdog
15-02-2020, 04:43 PM
Not as fussed about the pre season games but like a few woofers have said will be good to see some of those players who haven't got much opportunity at senior level to get a chance to show some things.

Hoping we come out of both games with no injuries and a clean bill of health.

Good to have the footy back but I'll be watching this one on TV and will be in attendance to the footy again for Round 1 March 20, 2020

mjp
15-02-2020, 04:49 PM
I hope it’s bruise free quick football.

Funny. I was thinking I hope we take the chance to unveil a new aggressive, hard at the footy attitude. The last thing I want us doing is running around playing basketball with each team laying < 20 tackles per half...I just don’t think that is a good recipe for this group.

Would love to see VanderMeer and both Young’s play. Interested to see the role of Wood and forward structure with Bruce high or deep?

Bulldog4life
15-02-2020, 04:49 PM
Always like to see any fringe and new players play. This year like all I am waiting to see how the 3 talls play forward together. With Bevo you never know.

GVGjr
16-02-2020, 09:19 AM
Always like to see any fringe and new players play. This year like all I am waiting to see how the 3 talls play forward together. With Bevo you never know.

A good blending of the regular, fringe and younger players is always a good pre-season combination. The set-up for the 3 tall forwards should be interesting for most of us.

Bulldog Joe
16-02-2020, 11:41 AM
I want to see us really send a message.

Good aggressive football with a high conversion of opportunity.

Happy to see the better players on limited game time, but not limited effort.

I also want to see Tim English show that he has learnt something about ruckwork.

GVGjr
16-02-2020, 11:55 AM
I want to see us really send a message.

Good aggressive football with a high conversion of opportunity.

Happy to see the better players on limited game time, but not limited effort.

I also want to see Tim English show that he has learnt something about ruckwork.

Excellent observations. One thing about the 3 tall forward set-up is possibly limiting time Tim English spends up forward. I still recall the impact he made against North with a couple of impressive marks and goals. He might not get to spend the time forward this season

Bringing some vigor to the contest is going to be a big measuring stick for us

Hotdog60
16-02-2020, 02:23 PM
Can English roll back ala Scotty Wynd

ledge
16-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Can English roll back ala Scotty Wynd

Gary Dempsey was the master. Scotty a student.

Hotdog60
16-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Gary Dempsey was the master. Scotty a student.

That may be true but being an immigrant I have followed the the Dogs from the late 60's but only started supporting them in the late 70's by that time Gary was a Roo.

bornadog
16-02-2020, 04:16 PM
That may be true but being an immigrant I have followed the the Dogs from the late 60's but only started supporting them in the late 70's by that time Gary was a Roo.

One of the greatest ruckman the game has ever seen, certainly one of the best contested marks. There is a state of origin match, I think against WA at the MCG where Dempsey is in the last line of defense and takes about 5 marks in a row, as WA kept pumping the goals.

I was gutted when he left us.

ledge
16-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Dempsey was the ultimate in ruling the back line, you just couldn’t get it past him through the air, I think it bore from us being so bad we needed someone to stop the flow,his reading the play was second to none, when he retired he became a ruck coach and taught Scott about it.
When I see ruckman plant themselves in the back line I always think Gary you started a legacy , sadly ruckman are lucky to take 5 marks a game nowadays, Gary was taking 4 or 5 a qtr or it seemed it.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-02-2020, 10:59 PM
One of the greatest ruckman the game has ever seen, certainly one of the best contested marks. There is a state of origin match, I think against WA at the MCG where Dempsey is in the last line of defense and takes about 5 marks in a row, as WA kept pumping the goals.

I was gutted when he left us.

Saved the day so many times by marking deep in defence in the last quarter.
Hopefully English can do ditto.

AshMac
17-02-2020, 01:41 PM
Can anyone save me the google - can I get in w my membership or is it a seperate ticketed event?

Eastdog
17-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Can anyone save me the google - can I get in w my membership or is it a seperate ticketed event?

https://www.afl.com.au/tickets/onsale-dates/marsh-community-series

2020 Marsh Community Series

Club/AFL Member pre-sale: 9am-5pm, Thursday January 30
General Public on-sale: 9am, Friday January 31

Ticket Prices

TICKET TYPE RESERVED SEAT GENERAL ADMISSION
Adult $30.00 $20.00
Concession $25.00 $15.00
Junior $10.00 $0.00
Family (2 adults, up to 4 juniors under 15) $60.00 $40.00
Adult Member Upgrade $10.00 $5.00
Concession Member Upgrade $10.00 $5.00
Junior Member Upgrade $5.00 $0.00
All prices are subject to additional ticket agent fees.

BUY TICKETS NOW

Ticket Types

Club Member Access
Once again, AFL and Club access members will have free general admission entry to those matches in which their Club is competing (subject to availability, upgrade fees may be applicable). Some restrictions may apply for non-access members. To confirm your eligibility, please contact your club.

Access to Marsh Community Series matches is subject to capacity and is not guaranteed. The AFL recommends that members upgrade their membership to a reserved seat or register for a general admission ticket in order to guarantee entry. Membership upgrades and registrations are subject to availability on a first come, first serve basis and subject to an additional fee. Transaction fees may also apply.

Please note:

Club members are required to upgrade to a ticket that is equivalent to the type of membership that they hold (i.e Adult members can only upgrade to an Adult ticket.
The AFL is a National Affiliate of the Companion Card program and we agree to provide an admission ticket for the cardholder's companion at no charge. The Companion Card program is applicable at all AFL Venues.
Junior Tickets
Children aged 6-14 as at 1 January 2020 are eligible to purchase a junior ticket. Children aged 5 and under as at 1 January 2020 are entitled to enter the ground at no charge; however, they must not occupy a seat.

Persons aged 15 and over as at 1 January 2020 are classified as an adult, unless they hold valid Concession identification.

Family Tickets
Family tickets for the Marsh Commuinity Series are for two adults and up to four juniors under the age of 15 as at 1 January 2020. The following will be available to purchase:

Family of 4 – 2 adults and 2 juniors
Family of 5 – 2 adults and 3 juniors
Family of 6 – 2 adults and 4 juniors'
Double Headers

Two Marsh Community Series matches will be held as a double-header events alongside the NAB AFL Women’s Competition at Metricon Stadium on Saturday February 22 and at Morwell Recreation Reserve on Sunday March 8.

AFL Members and Club members with an AFL or AFLW membership will have access to scan their membership card into the double-header matches (subject to capacity) or can upgrade their membership to guarantee their entry. All non-members wishing to attend the double-headers will be required to purchase a ticket.

AshMac
17-02-2020, 05:46 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/tickets/onsale-dates/marsh-community-series

2020 Marsh Community Series

Club/AFL Member pre-sale: 9am-5pm, Thursday January 30
General Public on-sale: 9am, Friday January 31

Ticket Prices

TICKET TYPE RESERVED SEAT GENERAL ADMISSION
Adult $30.00 $20.00
Concession $25.00 $15.00
Junior $10.00 $0.00
Family (2 adults, up to 4 juniors under 15) $60.00 $40.00
Adult Member Upgrade $10.00 $5.00
Concession Member Upgrade $10.00 $5.00
Junior Member Upgrade $5.00 $0.00
All prices are subject to additional ticket agent fees.

BUY TICKETS NOW

Ticket Types

Club Member Access
Once again, AFL and Club access members will have free general admission entry to those matches in which their Club is competing (subject to availability, upgrade fees may be applicable). Some restrictions may apply for non-access members. To confirm your eligibility, please contact your club.

Access to Marsh Community Series matches is subject to capacity and is not guaranteed. The AFL recommends that members upgrade their membership to a reserved seat or register for a general admission ticket in order to guarantee entry. Membership upgrades and registrations are subject to availability on a first come, first serve basis and subject to an additional fee. Transaction fees may also apply.

Please note:

Club members are required to upgrade to a ticket that is equivalent to the type of membership that they hold (i.e Adult members can only upgrade to an Adult ticket.
The AFL is a National Affiliate of the Companion Card program and we agree to provide an admission ticket for the cardholder's companion at no charge. The Companion Card program is applicable at all AFL Venues.
Junior Tickets
Children aged 6-14 as at 1 January 2020 are eligible to purchase a junior ticket. Children aged 5 and under as at 1 January 2020 are entitled to enter the ground at no charge; however, they must not occupy a seat.

Persons aged 15 and over as at 1 January 2020 are classified as an adult, unless they hold valid Concession identification.

Family Tickets
Family tickets for the Marsh Commuinity Series are for two adults and up to four juniors under the age of 15 as at 1 January 2020. The following will be available to purchase:

Family of 4 – 2 adults and 2 juniors
Family of 5 – 2 adults and 3 juniors
Family of 6 – 2 adults and 4 juniors'
Double Headers

Two Marsh Community Series matches will be held as a double-header events alongside the NAB AFL Women’s Competition at Metricon Stadium on Saturday February 22 and at Morwell Recreation Reserve on Sunday March 8.

AFL Members and Club members with an AFL or AFLW membership will have access to scan their membership card into the double-header matches (subject to capacity) or can upgrade their membership to guarantee their entry. All non-members wishing to attend the double-headers will be required to purchase a ticket.

Thanks mate. That was lazy of me. Won’t do it again

Mantis
18-02-2020, 12:23 PM
I'm interested to see how are defence sets up in terms of personnel & structurally.. I think a change in line coach will have a positive effect on our defensive mechanisms.

Eastdog
18-02-2020, 06:10 PM
Thanks mate. That was lazy of me. Won’t do it again

Nah no worries AshMac happy to help. Yeah I’ll be just watching this one from home myself. Will be back to the footy in March for our Round 1 opener.

AshMac
18-02-2020, 07:00 PM
Nah no worries AshMac happy to help. Yeah I’ll be just watching this one from home myself. Will be back to the footy in March for our Round 1 opener.

Know what you mean. I work v close to Etihad stadium, and I am DYING to see us play footy again, so super easy to get to. Wouldn’t make the trip though.

ratsmac
18-02-2020, 10:18 PM
I want to see how we react when the game isn't going how we would like, especially against teams we should beat. The games last year against Carlton the first time and Gold Coast pre season and round 3 in particular were inexcusable. Some of it was player selection, some of it was players not executing skills good enough and some game day coaching.

Basically I want to see us switched on ready to fire even in preseason practice matches. Last year our practice matches were shite and that continued into the season.

whythelongface
19-02-2020, 11:01 PM
I always like to see some of the new lads from the last few years given a good run in practice matches. Whilst these are toned down versions of senior footy it still provides the coaches and supporters of a glimpse of their ability. It is also a good opportunity for the coaching team to test out some tactics prior to the season proper. Whilst a win is always nice it is more about being competitive and fine tuning at this time of the year. Hopefully the game will be televised (though if it is on a Friday evening it will clash with the AFLW).

Mofra
20-02-2020, 10:08 AM
I always like to see some of the new lads from the last few years given a good run in practice matches. Whilst these are toned down versions of senior footy it still provides the coaches and supporters of a glimpse of their ability. It is also a good opportunity for the coaching team to test out some tactics prior to the season proper. Whilst a win is always nice it is more about being competitive and fine tuning at this time of the year. Hopefully the game will be televised (though if it is on a Friday evening it will clash with the AFLW).
I'm really keen to see Lachie Young play a Wood-role as I really think he has something special. Seems the type that, with 20-30 AFL games under his belt, those low kicks to make the play will come off and he can be a real weapon. Is excellent overhead too.

Happy Days
20-02-2020, 10:17 AM
Timmy’s out with a concussion from the super double secret scratch match last week. Not good.

bornadog
20-02-2020, 10:46 AM
Timmy’s out with a concussion from the super double secret scratch match last week. Not good.

Does Trengove ruck now, or do we give Sweet a go?

Mofra
20-02-2020, 11:05 AM
Seriously? That's troubling. Hopefully he's right for JLT 2 so he gets some gametime under his belt before round 1.

Bulldog4life
20-02-2020, 11:31 AM
Does Trengove ruck now, or do we give Sweet a go?

Good as time as any to try Sweety.

Axe Man
20-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Three Dogs out of Marsh clash (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/565994/three-dogs-out-of-marsh-clash?fbclid=IwAR2LiRWpnJtar6NQ40MTTKhMtnVIwfxGLjKWkXaNv71LD qi3MeJXumTU-7E)

The Western Bulldogs have ruled three players out of Friday night’s Marsh Community Series match against North Melbourne.

Ruckman Tim English, key forward Josh Bruce and utility Matt Suckling will all miss the clash.

English will miss through concussion, in line with the AFL concussion policy, following a head knock in match simulation last week.

His symptoms have cleared and he is expected to be available for the Bulldogs’ second pre-season match, against Port Adelaide on March 7.

Bruce and Suckling are also expected to be fit for that match.

A cautious approach has been taken with recruit Bruce following a back spasm, while Suckling’s pre-season preparations are being managed ahead of the season proper.

The Bulldogs team of 24 players for tomorrow’s match will be announced at 6.20pm AEDT tonight.

A return to play timeframe has also been confirmed for Lin Jong, who sustained a high-grade hamstring injury in match simulation last week. Jong is expected to miss the first month of the AFL season.

The Underdog
20-02-2020, 12:28 PM
Good as time as any to try Sweety.

Yeah, agree. Give him a run. Be a good test if Goldstein plays.

Mofra
20-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Teams out now.

No Trengove, no Cody Weightman.

Axe Man
20-02-2020, 07:39 PM
AFL TEAM | Marsh Series 1 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/566146/afl-team-marsh-series-1?fbclid=IwAR26T1ycWDBRvTVq6uornX9KroTpRkDnIoZUYKrfTczOPaGn4 Grzrs6rjHE)

Off-season recruit Alex Keath will be unleashed in red, white and blue for the first time on Friday night at Marvel Stadium, as the Western Bulldogs take on North Melbourne in their first 2020 Marsh Community Series match.

The Bulldogs have named a strong 26-player team, which features 17 members of last season’s elimination final side.

As part of the team’s preparations for the season proper, the Bulldogs will reduce this to a 24-player team prior to the first bounce.

Keath, who has overcome off-season surgery for the first official warm-up match, will be joined in the line-up by Aaron Naughton, who has also completed his rehabilitation to be fit to play.

Mitch Wallis has also been named on the interchange, as he returns from a leg injury which sidelined him for the back half of 2019.

Reigning Charles Sutton Medallist Marcus Bontempelli will lead the team for the first time since taking on the captaincy, and he will be joined by fellow State of Origin representatives Jason Johannisen and Jack Macrae .

Yet-to-debut big man Jordon Sweet will lead the ruck division, in the absence of Tim English.

The 22-year-old gets his first opportunity at this level, after developing in the VFL with Footscray last season.

English, key forward Josh Bruce and utility Matt Suckling were all ruled out this week, but are expected to be fit for the Bulldogs’ second Marsh Community Series match in a fortnight

MARSH COMMUNITY SERIES

Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne
Marvel Stadium
Friday 21 February, 7.10pm

TEAM

B: Alex Keath, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Williams
HB: Hayden Crozier, Jason Johannisen, Caleb Daniel
C: Roarke Smith, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter
HF: Pat Lipinski, Josh Schache, Aaron Naughton
F: Tory Dickson, Sam Lloyd, Bailey Dale
R: Jordon Sweet, Josh Dunkley, Jack Macrae
Int: Mitch Wallis, Bailey Smith, Toby McLean, Ed Richards, Ben Cavarra, Callum Porter, Will Hayes, Ryan Gardner
Emer: Lewis Young, Rhylee West, Cody Weightman, Louis Butler

GVGjr
20-02-2020, 08:18 PM
I would have thought Lewis and Lachlan Young could have been handy additions

Eastdog
20-02-2020, 08:23 PM
Good luck to Alex Keath and Jordan Sweet.

GVGjr
20-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Teams out now.

No Trengove, no Cody Weightman.

I wonder if its going to be a long year for Trengove?

The Bulldogs Bite
20-02-2020, 10:00 PM
I would have thought Lewis and Lachlan Young could have been handy additions

Look, I get that it's just preseason... But surely these guys are far ahead of Roarke?

I'll never understand Bevo and his fascination with Roarke. It's quite bizarre...

GVGjr
20-02-2020, 10:46 PM
Look, I get that it's just preseason... But surely these guys are far ahead of Roarke?

I'll never understand Bevo and his fascination with Roarke. It's quite bizarre...

and Gardner?

The Underdog
20-02-2020, 11:00 PM
and Gardner?

Match committee in mid season form.

jeemak
21-02-2020, 08:45 AM
Perhaps Gardner and Smith have been really good over the preseason and are getting reward for effort? Often happens in the first praccy of the year.

Mofra
21-02-2020, 09:49 AM
I wonder if its going to be a long year for Trengove?
I suspect so. He's certainly not getting a game ahead of English as a ruck and now he's behind Sweet.

As a KPD he's a stopper so he won't take Keath's spot, we favoured a raw Young in the final, and during the year Cordy was ahead of him as a stopper going by the MC selections. It's a shame as he really does well against the monsters (Hawkins, T Lynch).

comrade
21-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Really struggling to see how Lewis Young doesn't get as many games pumped into him as possible.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-02-2020, 10:16 AM

Surely with Smith & Gardner in, and Bruce, The Young's out we are not starting the pre-season in top gear.
I was hoping we'd be very aggressive right from the get go. We've been really lacklustre in recent preseasons and I just don't think it sets the right tone both on field or off field.

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 10:19 AM
Perhaps Gardner and Smith have been really good over the preseason and are getting reward for effort? Often happens in the first praccy of the year.

Gardener might also be the back-up ruck option and a candidate for back and forward lines as well. If he improves he has the versatility that Bevo appreciates.
Roarke Smith is a decent player and my guess is that he would also excellent with his training and preparation which should be rewarded. The cautious part in my wonders if that can transition to some better football. Tonight is a great opportunity for him to put his name into the mix to be a part of a deep and strong midfield. Good luck to him.

Happy Days
21-02-2020, 10:24 AM
I’m sure he’s a lovely young man but Gardner would have needed to improve a lot to be terrible. I’m thinking this is just us splitting the entire list (or at least those physically ready) across the two games.

Mantis
21-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Match committee in mid season form.

This is pretty normal early season form for the MC.. Remember it took until about round 7 to play Dunkley as a midfielder last year as well as playing no tall defender until about that time too.

bornadog
21-02-2020, 10:42 AM
I’m sure he’s a lovely young man but Gardner would have needed to improve a lot to be terrible. I’m thinking this is just us splitting the entire list (or at least those physically ready) across the two games.

Yep, give them all a go. In the past the first practise match has been full of players who are on the fringe, and the last match a dress rehearsal for the season proper.

Danjul
21-02-2020, 11:38 AM
This is pretty normal early season form for the MC.. Remember it took until about round 7 to play Dunkley as a midfielder last year as well as playing no tall defender until about that time too.
Please stop reminding me of that stressful period. I had nearly come to terms with it.

The Pie Man
21-02-2020, 12:00 PM
I suspect so. He's certainly not getting a game ahead of English as a ruck and now he's behind Sweet.

As a KPD he's a stopper so he won't take Keath's spot, we favoured a raw Young in the final, and during the year Cordy was ahead of him as a stopper going by the MC selections. It's a shame as he really does well against the monsters (Hawkins, T Lynch).

As a break glass in case of emergency option, he's very solid. He of course won't be happy about it.

I agree it's a shame, I think we've played some good football as a side with him contributing both down back and in the ruck, and is a physical, competitive presence that we've lacked at important stages.

Rocket Science
21-02-2020, 12:02 PM
Trengove's basically our new Fletcher Roberts now, ie: break glass in case of key defender emergency. That's a net upgrade though.

Hoping this is Roarke's little taste to keep him hungry. I'll be less than thrilled if others can't nudge him out of a regular role though.

westbulldog
21-02-2020, 12:32 PM
Roarke and Gardner in before Lewis Young and Trengove, MC must be joking, hopefully just experimental and doesn't become a habit. Good to see Sweet in, big opportunity for him.

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 12:55 PM

We just didn't get enough of a chance to make that hard call. I think a full preseason with us will do him wonders.

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 12:56 PM

Dunkley to the midfield and Trengove to the back line really worked well for us when the moves were made

comrade
21-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Let's not go all St Kilda fan like and read too much into the first pre-season game. They're certain top 4 finishers after last night, and after the first quarter, Max King was the second coming of Nick Riewoldt.

Mofra
21-02-2020, 01:50 PM
Let's not go all St Kilda fan like and read too much into the first pre-season game. They're certain top 4 finishers after last night, and after the first quarter, Max King was the second coming of Nick Riewoldt.
The Marsh series games will be played at half the normal defensive pressure of a H&A game judging by last night.

It's still interesting to watch to see how teams move the ball. St Kilda will be 'braver' this year and use the corridor (I suspect this plan falls apart quickly if you can contain Brad Hill).
Hawks will go tall ahead of the ball and kick higher as they have the crumbers to make it work.

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Just to confirm will the game tonight be on Fox Footy?

chef
21-02-2020, 02:03 PM
Just to confirm will the game tonight be on Fox Footy?

Yes 7pm

The Pie Man
21-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Roarke and Gardner in before Lewis Young and Trengove, MC must be joking, hopefully just experimental and doesn't become a habit. Good to see Sweet in, big opportunity for him.

That is certainly a big positive - if he can develop and become a viable back up he could be very important.

soupman
21-02-2020, 03:38 PM
and Gardner?

Gardner in could be for a number of reasons that don't necessarily see him in our best 30.
-A reward for a genuinely good pre-season
-A show of faith by a coach that loves that shit. Beveridge might be thinking that if he shows Gardner that he believes in him then that might help boost him along.
-An opportunity to see if he can be a more athletic version of Trengove and fill holes wherever we need him.

Most likely however i would imagine it is because while we usually play with a big squad we tend to try to treat it as a dress rehearsal as much as possible. That means playing 22-24 players for most of the match with the rest getting a half of footy at best. I would imagine having a 200cm athletic versatile promising tall on the bench means if we get any injuries anywhere we are well covered, and if there are no injuries we just might not play him at all. We've done it before in the pre-season.

mjp
21-02-2020, 04:06 PM
Gardner's been on the list for 6 months. We need to give him a chance.

I would have preferred to see Young as well but I don't think slinging mud at Gardner helps anyone. Talk about WHAT you want to see from him rather than just running him down.

I don't mean to be the thought police and tell people how to suck eggs but the kid is coming off the mid-season draft/rookie list and it wasn't exactly his fault that he was thrown to the lions after being on the list for less than a week.

bornadog
21-02-2020, 05:25 PM
I am just not as serious as some posters. This is a training run as a practise match to get players use to playing together as a team and following the game plan. Players could be played anywhere depending on what the coach is experimenting with.

divvydan
21-02-2020, 06:10 PM
Naughton out of tonight's game.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/566722/naughton-sidelined-with-knee-injury

Will need arthroscopic surgery on his knee.

Bulldog4life
21-02-2020, 06:14 PM

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/566722/naughton-sidelined-with-knee-injury

Bugger it.

Rocket Science
21-02-2020, 06:23 PM
No Naughton. No Bruce. No English.

Sigh. At least we can work on some alternate contingencies.

Keen points of interest will be how Keath, Schache, Dale and McLean fare.

AshMac
21-02-2020, 06:23 PM

Is arthroscopic = keyhole?

bornadog
21-02-2020, 06:28 PM

Doesn't sound good and it's the opposite knee to the one he injured in the finals. Fingers crossed on this one.

Hotdog60
21-02-2020, 06:30 PM
I hope that black cat hasn't walked under a ladder again.

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 06:31 PM

That's one way of doing it but I'm going all in if we win tonight :)
I'm sure I will be reading "Premiership" into the performance if we win.

Heading to the ground now, just cant wait.

ledge
21-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Doesn't sound good and it's the opposite knee to the one he injured in the finals. Fingers crossed on this one.

At least it’s not a ligament, hard to say how bad could be ok for first game, wait and see I guess.

comrade
21-02-2020, 07:13 PM
Naughton out for 4-6 weeks has me flat as a tack. Schache is our only fit key forward right now...

divvydan
21-02-2020, 07:27 PM
Lewis Young comes in for Naughton.

Cavarra and Porter miss out.

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Lewis Young comes in for Naughton.

Cavarra and Porter miss out.

That's a good addition and the two outs were probably the long shots
I wonder if Gardner now starts as a forward or does Young get that spot?

The Bulldogs Bite
21-02-2020, 07:53 PM
Personally would have liked a look at Cavarra.

Smads57
21-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Level 3 closed. Looks like a crowd of 2-3,000 only. Dogs on the
ground now.

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 08:06 PM

Just what we need! Not ideal!

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Watching from home tonight. I’ll be back with bells and whistles on for round 1 on March 20.

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 08:13 PM
Great forward delivery from Bont to Lewis Young who gets the goal.

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 08:19 PM
Bont is a beast!!

5 touches already

divvydan
21-02-2020, 08:19 PM
Well we did wonder who was going to be moved forward this year, guess it's Young's turn.

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 08:21 PM
Well we did wonder who was going to be moved forward this year, guess it's Young's turn.

Looking very good up there.

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 08:29 PM
Poor crowd attendance but I'm happy with what I'm seeing with our effort so far

Rocket Science
21-02-2020, 08:29 PM
Hospital handballs make baby Jesus cry.

jazzadogs
21-02-2020, 08:31 PM
Is arthroscopic = keyhole?

Effectively yes, but it doesn't tell you what they will find - most likely meniscal repair, but might be some floating bone or ligaments that need attention too. So even though it's a minor approach, they could still be doing significant work once they're in.

AndrewP6
21-02-2020, 08:32 PM
Naughton out for 4-6 weeks has me flat as a tack. Schache is our only fit key forward right now...

Where does it say 4-6 weeks?

jazzadogs
Poor crowd attendance but I'm happy with what I'm seeing with our effort so far

What did they expect, honestly. There is no reason for this game to be at Marvel.

Eastdog
Bad miss Lewy

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 08:33 PM
What did they expect, honestly. There is no reason for this game to be at Marvel.

Whitten Oval would have probably been better. Much better for the pre season to play it at our spiritual home.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Bonts missing sitters. Room for more improvement.

Schache is a natural footballer. Nice work this quarter.

bornadog
21-02-2020, 08:37 PM
Good to see the umpires are still pathetic. Two ridiculous frees in defense, FMD

jazzadogs
21-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Good to see the umpires are still pathetic

Norf 'physicality' going unchecked. Head high tackles, swinging arms, dumping blokes when the ball is gone - good to see Shaw is keeping the shinboner spirit (??) alive

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 08:42 PM
Nice finish Bailey Dale

bornadog
21-02-2020, 08:46 PM
Norf 'physicality' going unchecked. Head high tackles, swinging arms, dumping blokes when the ball is gone - good to see Shaw is keeping the shinboner spirit (??) alive

The sniper team hasn't changed

Go_Dogs
21-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Good start by Lew Young.

Scary news re Naughts. Hope he’s back soon.

Yay for footy being back.

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 08:47 PM
The sniper team hasn't changed

Yeah they sure have been very physical on us.

Bullies
21-02-2020, 08:51 PM
All teams will play physical against us after the Elimination Final last year

Sedat
21-02-2020, 08:54 PM
All teams will play physical against us after the Elimination Final last year
So they should. It's up to us to find a successful way around this tactic - we were found wanting in other games last year against physical teams, not just in the EF.

Rocket Science
21-02-2020, 08:55 PM

We'd best be prepared for this all season long because everyone's going to try it on.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-02-2020, 08:55 PM
Bont has started beautifully.
Bailey Smith just looks like he ain't gonna have any 2nd year blues.

Rocket Science
21-02-2020, 08:58 PM
Bont has started beautifully.
Bailey Smith just looks like he ain't gonna have any 2nd year blues.

Smith has that rare quality that makes you grateful he's ours.

When he puts some meat on he's going to be nigh on impossible to bring down in a tackle.

jeemak
21-02-2020, 09:04 PM
We'd best be prepared for this all season long because everyone's going to try it on.

It's going to be a genuine hobby horse for all and sundry this year. Only to be matched by Caleb Daniel gut running harder than anyone else and being caught out deep in defencive 50m against a tall opponent.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 09:11 PM
3 weeks.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-02-2020, 09:11 PM
Concerning that 18 players didn't run at Marley Williams?? Especially given how meek we were in our final against GWS?

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 09:12 PM
Concerning that 18players didn't run at Marley Williams?? Especially given how meek we were in our final against GWS?

That wasn’t going to happen again, yeah?

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 09:13 PM
Hopefully Ed is ok

The Underdog
21-02-2020, 09:16 PM
Hopefully Ed is ok

I’m at work. What happened?

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 09:18 PM
I’m at work. What happened?

Just got knocked a bit but was walking off ok.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 09:20 PM
7.7 and misses, to, 5.1

Dominating the game, except the scoreboard.

Rocket Science
21-02-2020, 09:25 PM
7.7 and misses, to, 5.1

Play it again, Sam.

Dry Rot
21-02-2020, 09:25 PM
Reports on new boys Keath and Sweet please.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-02-2020, 09:26 PM
7.7 and misses, to, 5.1

Providing we keep the same effort up in 2nd half, irrespective of whether we win, Ill be pleased.
There are some good signs from just about everyone thus far.

bornadog
21-02-2020, 09:27 PM
So they should. It's up to us to find a successful way around this tactic - we were found wanting in other games last year against physical teams, not just in the EF.

Physicality is fine, sniping is not on and must be stopped by umpires, but yeah, they will all try it on.

jazzadogs
21-02-2020, 09:29 PM

Sweet getting taught a lesson by Goldstein in the ruck contests. Moved okay around the ground, a couple of nice touches (quick hands, beautiful 40m pass to Lewy Young) mixed with some howlers. I'm glad he's getting a taste against one of the best in the comp.

Keath hasn't had much of it from my seats. Flew for a few marks but hasn't clunked any. Kicking has mostly been long bomb down the line.

Wallis and Hayes haven't been on in the first half.

Bont, Crozier, Hunter probably in our best. Macrae is in danger of getting dropped from the All Stars game with his kicking quality so far.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-02-2020, 09:29 PM

Keath looks solid.
Sweet as expected in his debut getting beaten by Goldstein, but he's shown some decent skills and not overawed.

Can't believe Lewy Young has 3.1 at half time. Should have 4. And has looked good around the ground too. And to think he only came in with Naughts going out!

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Providing we keep the same effort up in 2nd half, irrespective of whether we win, Ill be pleased.
There are some good signs from just about everyone thus far.

Agree for the most part, yep. I’d like to see some cooler heads and cleaner exiting D50 too. Gifting repeat entries is less than ideal. Goal kicking I guess too. Not a bad first hour of 2020.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Good enough signs for a pattock run.

Sweet has been dominated in the ruck but I've liked his efforts around the ground. Quick hands a few times and some nice passes too. A little ironic given the knock on him was more his around the ground work rather than his ruck game. It's actually been opposite tonight so far.

Young playing well, some good efforts when he floated back too. Hard to understand why he wasn't originally playing. Needs games and is a talent. Liking that he's showing he can pinch forward too.

Bont looks super sharp.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-02-2020, 09:35 PM
So confirmed, Richards, out for game with concussion.
Surely Williams gets minimum of 2 weeks.
And also I hope our coaches rip shreds off our guys for not getting in Williams grille afterwards.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 09:38 PM
So confirmed, Richards, out for game with concussion.
Surely Williams gets minimum of 2 weeks.
And also I hope our coaches rip shreds off our guys for not getting in Williams grille afterwards.

I’m hoping for 3 weeks. He deserves it and I’d like the afel to signal to the comp that our guys aren’t free to be KOd.

comrade
21-02-2020, 09:46 PM
Bont looks ultra fit.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 09:50 PM
We’ve had 8 of the last 10 scoring shots. Plus an OTF. Dominating.

Danjul
21-02-2020, 09:54 PM
According to the stats nearly at 3/4 time:

sweet 12 disposals 18 hitouts
goldstein 8 disposals 35 hitouts.

I see that as a bonus. Last year Goldstein was best on ground, with 28 disposals and 57 hitouts.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 10:01 PM
This is worst Macrae has ever kicked a footy, ever. Glad it’s a preseason game.

Dry Rot
21-02-2020, 10:01 PM
Sounds like we have lost our intensity.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 10:06 PM
Schache doing nicely in the absence of Naughton & Bruce.

comrade
21-02-2020, 10:11 PM
This is worst Macrae has ever kicked a footy, ever. Glad it’s a preseason game.

He's in 2nd gear at best, isn't he? Care factor with the ball is ultra low.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-02-2020, 10:12 PM
He's in 2nd gear at best, isn't he? Care factor with the ball is ultra low.

Feel like he does this every preseason and then switches on come the real stuff.

bornadog
21-02-2020, 10:14 PM
Sounds like we have lost our intensity.

North had the ball a lot in the middle of the quarter, but generally the backline held up. Gardner is still no where near good enough at this level.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 10:15 PM
Keath: 9 disposals - 6 of them intercept (at 89%). 4 rebound 50’s. 5 marks, 1 contested. By my count, one goal kicked on him.

Setting expectations high.

Bullies
21-02-2020, 10:15 PM
Put the cue in the rack now. Rest a few of the guns.

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 10:17 PM
Keath: 9 disposals - 6 of them intercept (at 89%). 4 rebound 50’s. 5 marks, 1 contested. By my count, one goal kicked on him.

Setting expectations high.

Looks like a great pick up.

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 10:17 PM
Put the cue in the rack now. Rest a few of the guns.

Not the worst idea.

whythelongface
21-02-2020, 10:18 PM
Wow Keath. Trade of the year already 👍

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 10:21 PM
Wow Keath. Trade of the year already ��

Bruce, trade of the year next round! :D

Weightman for the Rising Star.

Good to be us!

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 10:28 PM
I know it is only pre season but the Bont is on fire!

Hunter has played well tonight.

whythelongface
21-02-2020, 10:28 PM
Bruce, trade of the year next round! :D

Weightman for the Rising Star.

Good to be us!

Especially when we’ve got the Bont. He is just two to three classes above and is just going at a canter. Can’t wait for the season proper

bornadog
21-02-2020, 10:29 PM
Hayes not best 22

bornadog
21-02-2020, 10:34 PM
Crozier one of our best, has continued his great form from last year

comrade
21-02-2020, 10:42 PM
This is the best condition Bont has ever presented himself in.

JJ got the dad bod going.

Tory Dickson looks like Steve Kolynuik.

Danjul
21-02-2020, 10:44 PM
Hayes not best 22
Stats say 12 possessions.How much game time has he had?

divvydan
21-02-2020, 10:45 PM
About 40% game time, he and Wallis were the benchwarmers tonight and mostly played the 2nd half.

bornadog
21-02-2020, 10:46 PM
Stats say 12 possessions.How much game time has he had?

Stats don't tell the story

whythelongface
21-02-2020, 10:48 PM
That is as good a practice match that you would want as a supporter. Some good signs from our top players. Seems to be great cohesion amongst the group.

Danjul
21-02-2020, 10:51 PM
About 40% game time, he and Wallis were the benchwarmers tonight and mostly played the 2nd half.
Thanks. I’m following the game on the FoxSport website so I’ve only got statistics and scores.

According to them he has done better than some of the others.

Dry Rot
21-02-2020, 10:52 PM
Final thoughts on Sweet, Keath and Schache tonight?

whythelongface
21-02-2020, 10:57 PM

Keath will be sensational. Just reads the game so well. Liked Schache’s competitiveness and his attack on the ball.

comrade
21-02-2020, 11:00 PM

Only saw the second half and Sweet was quiet, sounds like his first half was better.

Schache competed well in the air.

Keath is exactly what we need.

jazzadogs
21-02-2020, 11:00 PM
Crozier one of our best, has continued his great form from last year

He looked to have picked up an extra touch of pace tonight. I was really impressed with his game. Courageous mark running back with the flight.

Stats don't tell the story

Hayes was fine. He's fit, stronger, skills were decent. His decision making remains questionable but no more than Jong, Smith etc.
I agree he's not best 22, but think he is comfortably in the next 6 or so and will play plenty of matches this year.

Keath grew into the game in the second half. Moved well, used it well. Seemed to hold good positions, the defenders were rarely left mismatched or one v one.
Sweet continued a similar line from the first half.
Schache's intensity was noticeable. Some big contests, in the air and on the ground, plus aggressive leading and straight kicking. If Naughton is out for a while and we're playing with Shack and Bruce, I think we're still well placed.

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 11:01 PM
I thought it was a decent hit out for us and there were a number of positives.

I'm a little surprised at some of the criticism being raised with the players

Our highly rated midfield in Bontempelli, Dunkley, Hunter and Macrae all looked sharp, Keath slotted in nicely for us, Lloyd hit the scoreboard and Crozier is a real leader for us and provides some class. I was particularly pleased with Young's inclusion and Schache did some nice things.

On top of that I think we kept plenty in reserve.

soupman
21-02-2020, 11:05 PM
Really positive performance.

Bont as dominant as ever. Hunter and Crozier also great.

Was really pleased with Schache and think he was my highlight. Competed well in the air, got in good positions, used the ball well and took his chances. Also was involved frequently, will be interesting to see what happens when he goes from being the best key forward to third best with Bruce and Naughton.

Sweet is much tidier around the ground than i thought, and quite handy with ball in hand. That kick to Young as lovely.

I know he had limited gametime but i liked what Richards did. Very quiet second half though ;)

Good signs from Smith and Young amongst others.

Keath was also good, particularly second half. He is a great size, and looks so assured in defence, although admittedly didn't have a heap to do.

Interesting seeing the changes in body shapes with a few. Cordy has thickened up significantly, Schache has also filled out a little and looks much less like a private schoolboy.

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 11:06 PM
Hayes was fine. He's fit, stronger, skills were decent. His decision making remains questionable but no more than Jong, Smith etc.
I agree he's not best 22, but think he is comfortably in the next 6 or so and will play plenty of matches this year.

I agree, nothing wrong with Hayes tonight. I mentioned a while back that he was outside of our top 22 but he is certainly a player who can come in and do a decent or better than decent job for us.
His progress last year was noticeable and with another full preseason behind him he can be a valuable option for us.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-02-2020, 11:07 PM
Really happy with that as an opening shot for 2020.

I think maybe only Gardner and Hayes were the only ones who didn't catch the eye at least once tonight.

Bont put on a Bont + performance
Crozier just only improves his standing. What a great acquisition he has become. If he builds on what he has done the past two years, he has to be in AA calculations.
Keath. Got better as the game wore on. He is going to be very good value down back.
Dunkley, Hunter, Macrae work rate 100%, still need to increae the hurt dactor.
Schache - liked his game, a complimentary effort.
Roarke Smith - he's going to get games this year for sure, so get used to it!
Bailey Smith. No 2nd yr blues
Cordy.. hope he hasn't hurt himself in the last minute. He's crazy brave.
Sweet. He's got some promise. If English stays fit, he will not get a game, but he's got something to work with.
Lewy Young. 3.1 and sime nice work around the ground in1st half

Mofra
21-02-2020, 11:14 PM
We didn't learn too much we didn't already know tonight, apart from Sweet can kick the ball well and Roarke Smith might be our best bet as second wingman.

I really think Wallis should be a permanent forward. Shades of Gia. Not quick but thinks well and adds toughness

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-02-2020, 11:18 PM
We didn't learn too much we didn't already know tonight, apart from Sweet can kick the ball well and Roarke Smith might be our best bet as second wingman.

I really think Wallis should be a permanent forward. Shades of Gia. Not quick but thinks well and adds toughness

I learned that Lewy Young can play forward.

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 11:19 PM
Could the untimely injury to Naughton be Lewis Young's Marnus Labuschagne moment?
It was a fairly impressive performance from kicking goals to a spell in the ruck and some competitive moments down back.

I hope this gives him some confidence and spark to push hard for a senior spot now.

chef
21-02-2020, 11:21 PM
Whats the go with Naughton?

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 11:22 PM
Whats the go with Naughton?

Injury to his knee, it's still unclear to what extent

Testekill
21-02-2020, 11:24 PM
I thought Roarke did alright. Would like to see him get more games on the wing because his pace and leap could be useful

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 11:25 PM
I thought Roarke did alright. Would like to see him get more games on the wing because his pace and leap could be useful

Yep, I've never quite seen what the coaches have seen in him but a better than solid performance tonight has enhanced his chances.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2020, 11:26 PM
Really positive performance.

Bont as dominant as ever. Hunter and Crozier also great.

Was really pleased with Schache and think he was my highlight. Competed well in the air, got in good positions, used the ball well and took his chances. Also was involved frequently, will be interesting to see what happens when he goes from being the best key forward to third best with Bruce and Naughton.

Sweet is much tidier around the ground than i thought, and quite handy with ball in hand. That kick to Young as lovely.

I know he had limited gametime but i liked what Richards did. Very quiet second half though ;)

Good signs from Smith and Young amongst others.

Keath was also good, particularly second half. He is a great size, and looks so assured in defence, although admittedly didn't have a heap to do.

Interesting seeing the changes in body shapes with a few. Cordy has thickened up significantly, Schache has also filled out a little and looks much less like a private schoolboy.

Pretty much mind too.

It was a small sample but I’d have Wally ahead of Dicko for the next game. Up until the last few minutes Dicko had one kick for the game. I thought he was one forward that could be replaced by Wally (who looked a bit more lively) or debut Weightman next game. It’s not a pot at Dicko, but if we are looking at playing 3 KPFs we might want to look at the best other 3 forwards to mid with the big guys.

Eastdog
21-02-2020, 11:26 PM
Good night out in our first match of 2020. Very good performance.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-02-2020, 11:28 PM
Crozier is better than Bruce Duperouzel as a pick up from another club. He is all heart and commitment. The game was not worthy of Bontempelli who was above the game. We confirmed the quality of game we played late last season as our standard. Keath at home as general of backline with Crozier as lieutenant.
Promising warmup.

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 11:47 PM
I really feel of Ed Richards tonight, just saw a replay of the knock. I hope he has a speedy recovery

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 11:51 PM
Players in the mix for our next Marsh series game could be the likes of Rhylee West, Matthew Suckling, Josh Bruce, Jackson Trengove, Tim English, Lachlan Young and some players coming back from injury

GVGjr
21-02-2020, 11:53 PM
It was pretty good to see the return of Caleb Daniel tonight. Will only get better

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-02-2020, 11:59 PM
Players in the mix for our next Marsh series game could be the likes of Rhylee West, Matthew Suckling, Josh Bruce, Jackson Trengove, Tim English, Lachlan Young and some players coming back from injury

Could also see Bont, Macrae & JJ rested too, or at least having restricted minutes, given their involvement in the State of Origin game next Friday.

Remi Moses
22-02-2020, 12:34 AM
Great start
Tough game for a pre-season hitout
Great leadership from the Bont
Keath looks a great find
We’ve got some players fighting for spots , which is a great thing

bornadog
22-02-2020, 12:48 AM
I really feel of Ed Richards tonight, just saw a replay of the knock. I hope he has a speedy recovery

Unnecessary hit, really careless, the ball no where the player and elbow to the head. By rights if the AFL are serious about this sort of stuff, that should be 4 weeks, but he will get one.

Sedat
22-02-2020, 01:41 AM
Only a pre-season hitout but our tackling pressure was outstanding. You train the way you play, and I loved our intensity to hunt the opposition and really stick the tackles.

Go_Dogs
22-02-2020, 06:22 AM
Good to get along last night, plenty of positives to offset the Naughton news pre game and big knock Ted copped.

Gardner moved off the line far too easily and seemed to be going through the motions a few times without a willingness to really commit. Not sure if its confidence but he looked a long way off tonight.

Roarke was involved and surprised me. He adds pace, aerial ability and has a tough defensive side. Could be our version of Mitch Robinson on the wing. Hope we persist with him for a few weeks.

Sweet completely different to what I expected. His movement and around the ground work the highlight, not what was advertised last year.

Schache is ready to grab games by the scruff of the neck. He's a big unit and appears to have improved confidence in his body/size. Worked hard, contested hard.

AK is going to be brilliant for us.

Woof woof.

GVGjr
22-02-2020, 08:11 AM
Only a pre-season hitout but our tackling pressure was outstanding. You train the way you play, and I loved our intensity to hunt the opposition and really stick the tackles.

Some of those tackles made by Crozier last night lifted his team mates that were around him. Impressive performance across the team last night

GVGjr
22-02-2020, 08:17 AM
Good to get along last night, plenty of positives to offset the Naughton news pre game and big knock Ted copped.

Gardner moved off the line far too easily and seemed to be going through the motions a few times without a willingness to really commit. Not sure if its confidence but he looked a long way off tonight.

Roarke was involved and surprised me. He adds pace, aerial ability and has a tough defensive side. Could be our version of Mitch Robinson on the wing. Hope we persist with him for a few weeks.

Sweet completely different to what I expected. His movement and around the ground work the highlight, not what was advertised last year.

Schache is ready to grab games by the scruff of the neck. He's a big unit and appears to have improved confidence in his body/size. Worked hard, contested hard.

AK is going to be brilliant for us.

Woof woof.

Regarding Gardner, while I acknowledge there are a few things to work on he has some attributes that might appeal to us. He reads the play OK and he possess good speed. I think we need to be a bit patient with him

I'm glad you mentioned Schache, he could easily be ready to take a step forward

Go_Dogs
22-02-2020, 08:32 AM
Regarding Gardner, while I acknowledge there are a few things to work on he has some attributes that might appeal to us. He reads the play OK and he possess good speed. I think we need to be a bit patient with him

I'm glad you mentioned Schache, he could easily be ready to take a step forward

He needs to be committed and go much harder to exploit those traits which I thought were rarely seen last night. He might be an OK match up for the Gunston and Josh Jenkins type forwards who aren't physical players but barring a disaster with injuries I'd have him playing his trade at VFL level for the season. He's got time, but he's not ready yet.

I wonder if Schache's game was largely a beneficiary of Naughton and Bruce not playing? He won't (at least in my mind) get the same responsilities to contest and bring the ball down deep as he did last night - maybe he'd be doing more of what we saw from Lew in the opening quarter? I think he's ready to take a leap but circumstance/role will dictate how big of a leap.

bornadog
22-02-2020, 08:39 AM
Apparently in his press conference, Bevo had a go at the recruiters whinging about Jamarra.

Go_Dogs
22-02-2020, 08:42 AM
Apparently in his press conference, Bevo had a go at the recruiters whinging about Jamarra.

Bring it on... we need a chip on our shoulder this year and us against everyone else could be one of a few good narratives for us over the course of the season.

SonofScray
22-02-2020, 09:23 AM
Really pleasing performance, allowing for a gap in talent between the squads and very little heat in the game. Norf typically played the man though, so it did take some commitment to go and get the ball. Highlights for me:

1. Swift, direct ball movement. The handball club, intercept, knock it on type of play was really prominent. It wasn't quite Men of Mayhem, but a Men of Method.

2. Centre clearances. Really strong work with the ball off the ruck contest. Post flag, we've conceded this part of the game too easily but last night I saw some real system and clean, decisive wins out of the guts.

3. Bailey Smith's bullocking, powerful running. He's something special. Mitch Hahn with truckloads of talent. Cooney with a better work rate. I'm sure there's a matrix like that we could plot him on.

4. Shache. He's my boy, 30+ goals from him this year is not unreasonable. Terrific nose for goal and forward craft. He'll shine in a forward line that spreads the attention like we expect to happen with Bruce and Naughton, Lewis did the job tonight too.

5. Back six. Or the system. Looks like it's got the right cogs moving and the introduction of a senior player in Keath will really serve us well. Cordy can probably afford to have another crack at being a lockdown, toiling, spoiling, tackling, scrapping mean old son of a gun without being too exposed like he was at time last year. Crozier, Caleb and JJ offer adequate run with bonus aerial support.

Liked what I saw. Stark contrast to recent preseasons where it was obvious things weren't quite right from the get go. This is a squad that is fit, understands what they're trying to do and has a fairly solid belief. Competition for spots will be strong. The flag will wag.

comrade
22-02-2020, 09:28 AM
Pretty significant first hit out for Bont as captain. Is it possible the increased responsibility elevates his game to a higher level? His body certainly looks leaner and fitter than ever before, and it's clear he has put in a mountain of work over the pre-season to get himself in his best shape.

mjp
22-02-2020, 10:25 AM
Crozier is better than Bruce Duperouzel as a pick up from another club. He is all heart and commitment. The game was not worthy of Bontempelli who was above the game. We confirmed the quality of game we played late last season as our standard. Keath at home as general of backline with Crozier as lieutenant.
Promising warmup.

I have no idea about Duperouzel but I love Crozier. My fave part is I get to turn to my Freo supporting Missus 10 times every game "Hey Babe"...pause for impact..."Thanks for Crozier".

I've almost forgiven him for that mark he took against me in the u18's at Subiaco Oval. ALMOST.

comrade
22-02-2020, 10:46 AM
With Moz gone, there is a defender shaped hole in my heart that Crozier is helping to fill. One of our best trades in a loooong time.

G-Mo77
22-02-2020, 11:20 AM
Those who watched do you think Sweet can be relied going to help out English if injured or rested.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2020, 11:27 AM
Those who watched do you think Sweet can be relied going to help out English if injured or rested.

No. I think he is still very much a work in progress, but he did some nice things though. A 35m pass lace out to a leading Le Young was a thing of beauty. I think Trengove should be #2 if/when Tim is out.

Rocket Science
22-02-2020, 11:29 AM
Permit me to plonk the cart well and truly before the horse and predict Crozier has a Norm Smith in his future.

Smart, fearless, creative and rapidly become our most dynamic, if not most influential backman. Just makes good things happen.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Croz has turned himself into one of the first picked. Took him some time to find his feet but he has elevated himself into an exceptional player.

mjp
22-02-2020, 11:44 AM

He'll be fine for a few weeks.

We have Trengove as well.

Let's face it - it isn't as if English is out there dominating anyway...Sweet was competitive and wasn't a complete 'loss' in terms of contributing to our attacking + defensive mechanisms.

GVGjr
22-02-2020, 11:57 AM

In my opinion he is another 12 months away from someone potentially being regarded as a reliable 1st string ruckman.
It's one of the reason why I think we missed an opportunity to recruit a versatile tall who could help out in the ruck for a few games if needed. That falls onto Trengove this year but we don't have a lot of coverage.

Happy Days
22-02-2020, 12:18 PM
Pleased to see that North have stuck to their brand by playing as many faux tough man snipers as the rest of the league combined.

Williams, Anderson and now Bonar are embarrassing, and they still have their walking negligence tort captain to come back.

kruder
22-02-2020, 12:45 PM
Pretty significant first hit out for Bont as captain. Is it possible the increased responsibility elevates his game to a higher level? His body certainly looks leaner and fitter than ever before, and it's clear he has put in a mountain of work over the pre-season to get himself in his best shape.

I think its also since last year, Bevo is finally leaving him in the midfield for the majority. This has enhanced his game more than anything and the fact the Macrae and Dunkley are left in there, the chemistry is starting to show.

So fortunate to have a player like him :)

kruder
22-02-2020, 12:46 PM
I didn't get to see much of the game really interested in how Cordy went along side Keithy George?

comrade
22-02-2020, 12:54 PM
I think its also since last year, Bevo is finally leaving him in the midfield for the majority. This has enhanced his game more than anything and the fact the Macrae and Dunkley are left in there, the chemistry is starting to show.

God bless the Saints!

ledge
22-02-2020, 01:08 PM

He plays everywhere even when in the midfield, he has a free run and even gets close enough to marking his own 40 metre kicks , amazing how he was around the ball ready to scoop up his own kick when it was knocked to ground.

bornadog
22-02-2020, 01:16 PM

What I liked about the Bont was his follow ups after kicking the ball. In some instances he had three consecutive touches after the clearance from the centre.

Sedat
22-02-2020, 01:23 PM
After years of Brent Harvey and Daniel Wells tearing us a new one every time we played Norf, it's nice to return the favour with Bont. He toys with the Shinboners for fun, even in practice matches.

kruder
22-02-2020, 01:45 PM
God bless the Saints!

I think we should all send them a xmas card every year, considering they handed us Naughty too.

Happy Days
22-02-2020, 01:56 PM
After years of Brent Harvey and Daniel Wells tearing us a new one every time we played Norf, it's nice to return the favour with Bont. He toys with the Shinboners for fun, even in practice matches.

I think it all comes from that time North legend Michael Firrito tried to rough him up and Bont rightly laughed his way to 3 Brownlow votes.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2020, 02:14 PM
The Age: Match Report from 2010 vs North, an interesting history refresh of us vs them:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/roo-defender-tells-of-fears-in-hall-headlock-20100523-w3y3.html

bornadog
22-02-2020, 02:18 PM
The Age: Match Report from 2010 vs North, an interesting history refresh of us vs them:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/roo-defender-tells-of-fears-in-hall-headlock-20100523-w3y3.html

Barry scared the living daylights out of Thompson. :D:D

A culture of Cheap shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES6FjT5IVIQ

bornadog
22-02-2020, 02:29 PM
and Who can forget that dickhead Firrito

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elu6c9ktwks[/QUOTE]

bulldogtragic
22-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Barry scared the living daylights out of Thompson. :D:D

A culture of Cheap shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES6FjT5IVIQ

Hall or Darcy (commentator) should give a pep talk about drawing a line in the sand about getting roughed up.

"If you want to poke the bear, the bear is going to get angry".

(Note the score: 61 to 8 our way when they're pulling this BS. Real shinboner spirit...)

KT31
22-02-2020, 02:40 PM

Just seen the bump, no need for it and deserves two or three weeks at least.

jeemak
22-02-2020, 02:48 PM
I think it all comes from that time North legend Michael Firrito tried to rough him up and Bont rightly laughed his way to 3 Brownlow votes.

This guy?

Stevo
22-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Just seen the bump, no need for it and deserves two or three weeks at least.

It was unnecessary and it will be a test for the adjudication process.

Eastdog
22-02-2020, 07:06 PM
Alex Keath very solid last night. Jordan Sweet showed some positive signs.

Bont fantastic but would love to see him get his goalkicking right.

S Coast Simon
23-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Concerning that 18 players didn't run at Marley Williams?? Especially given how meek we were in our final against GWS?
I did notice only Roarke went in to bump Williams. I was a bit disappointed others didn’t join him. While we are on Roarke does anyone else think he could be A great BF in the mould of Wood.

GVGjr
23-02-2020, 09:11 AM
I've watched 3 quarters of the replay, having to endure Garry Lyon in the process, and they mentioned that during the Marsh Series the AFL have 24 hours to charge any players. I have also checked AFL.com and can't see that Williams has been charged or given the all clear. Does anyone know for sure if he has been charged or not?

This from Foxsports

"Fox Footy’s Garry Lyon suggested that Williams had been reported by the umpire, with MRO Michael Christian set to hand down his finding within 24 hours."

ledge
23-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Find it incredible if he hasn’t been charged, if he hasn’t a lot of reports will be using that footage as a defence.

Go_Dogs
23-02-2020, 10:05 AM
I've watched 3 quarters of the replay, having to endure Garry Lyon in the process, and they mentioned that during the Marsh Series the AFL have 24 hours to charge any players. I have also checked AFL.com and can't see that Williams has been charged or given the all clear. Does anyone know for sure if he has been charged or not?

This from Foxsports

"Fox Footy’s Garry Lyon suggested that Williams had been reported by the umpire, with MRO Michael Christian set to hand down his finding within 24 hours."

AFL website said findings would be released Monday.

Bulldog4life
23-02-2020, 10:15 AM

This from Foxsports

According to AFL website The Match Review findings will be released on Monday.

GVGjr
23-02-2020, 10:43 AM
AFL website said findings would be released Monday.

According to AFL website The Match Review findings will be released on Monday.

Thanks GD and B4L

GVGjr
24-02-2020, 09:53 AM
I didn't get to see much of the game really interested in how Cordy went along side Keithy George?

Cordy wasn't great and I hope he can regain some form. Keath had a good 2nd half. He's has a penetrating kick

GVGjr
24-02-2020, 09:56 AM
If we assume Naughton misses some weeks do we use Lewy Young as a key forward to work with Bruce and Schache or do we look to have him in the back line?

comrade
24-02-2020, 10:04 AM
If we assume Naughton misses some weeks do we use Lewy Young as a key forward to work with Bruce and Schache or do we look to have him in the back line?

I'm kind of hoping Lewy grabs his opportunity as a forward and we're forced to move Naughton back, filling one of the largest holes on our list.

GVGjr
24-02-2020, 10:09 AM
I'm kind of hoping Lewy grabs his opportunity as a forward and we're forced to move Naughton back, filling one of the largest holes on our list.

I'm not sure the coach would see it that way, what are your doubts with Naughton as a forward?

comrade
24-02-2020, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure the coach would see it that way, what are your doubts with Naughton as a forward?

It has more to do with my doubts about our defensive group.

GVGjr
24-02-2020, 10:19 AM

It's going to be a challenge and it's one of the reasons why I think we have gone in light on for key position players over the last couple of years. I still think Trengove and Cordy have plenty to offer, Young looks a good prospect and Keath should be a strong contributor.
We tend to play Wood as a 3rd tall and Lachlan Young has some claims so we are around the mark but probably one quality player light on. Naughton is very likely to stay as a forward, I think the coach will be hard pressed to explain a move away from our plans for 3 tall forwards.

Mofra
24-02-2020, 10:22 AM
I did notice only Roarke went in to bump Williams. I was a bit disappointed others didn’t join him. While we are on Roarke does anyone else think he could be A great BF in the mould of Wood.
Roarke was drafted as a rebounding HB with a huge leap for his height.

Right now I think he best bet is as a defensive wingman as he seems ahead of the pack compared to whoever else we've run through there. He doesn't quite have the class of others and isn't going to cut teams up by foot but he does add grunt and allows our HFs to play a more attacking game. I was very happy with his game and he's put himself into the round 1 team on that performance.

comrade
24-02-2020, 10:24 AM
Naughton is very likely to stay as a forward, I think the coach will be hard pressed to explain a move away from our plans for 3 tall forwards.

I think it's likely too, but Lewy continuing to progress as a forward over the next 6 weeks or so in Naughton's absence may give Bevo pause for thought.

bulldogtragic
24-02-2020, 10:31 AM

Going ahead:

Naughton & Keath would be a formidable KPD pairing with supreme marking power, with Crozier/Wood/Cordy/Le Young/La Young/Khamis/Raak etc. as support.

Schache, Bruce & Ugle-Hagan as KPFs with maybe Trengove or Le Young. With Dale, Lloyd, Weighman, McLean, Wallis etc.

Naughton will thrive in any position. The idea of where he delivers the best team impact is a good question, because he's just so good.

The Underdog
24-02-2020, 10:53 AM
I think it's likely too, but Lewy continuing to progress as a forward over the next 6 weeks or so in Naughton's absence may give Bevo pause for thought.

Heh...remember when we tried to turn all our good key defenders into key forwards. Now we’re going the other way.
Funny old world.

comrade
24-02-2020, 10:58 AM
Going ahead:

Naughton & Keath would be a formidable KPD pairing with supreme marking power, with Crozier/Wood/Cordy/Le Young/La Young/Khamis/Raak etc. as support.

Schache, Bruce & Ugle-Hagan as KPFs with maybe Trengove or Le Young. With Dale, Lloyd, Weighman, McLean, Wallis etc.

Naughton will thrive in any position. The idea of where he delivers the best team impact is a good question, because he's just so good.

If Schache continues his rate of improvement, and Bruce slots in like we're hoping, there is less of a burden on Naughton to be the saviour in our forward line...particularly if Lewis Young plays a role over the first month when Naughton isn't available.

Playing Young forward as 3rd banana also has the added benefit of being able to throw him into the ruck where he actually looks relatively proficient without throwing our structure out of whack.

Naughton & Keath would be a formidable key defensive combo, and would allow the likes of Crozier and Cordy to really play to their strengths.

I love Naughton flying for speccies up forward but I've always thought our team overall would be better served with him becoming the dominant backman in the league.

And then throw Jamarra into the mix, and he'll be ready to take over as Bruce rides off into the sunset.

So you could say I'm on team #LewyIsAForward

soupman
24-02-2020, 12:07 PM
Nah you guys are crazy.

I've always wanted an elite key forward to play for us. Naughton looks like he could be that guy, and a really fun version at that. Screw whats better for the team, ive seen good key defenders before. Naughton stays forward please.

Twodogs
24-02-2020, 12:14 PM
Smith has that rare quality that makes you grateful he's ours.

When he puts some meat on he's going to be nigh on impossible to bring down in a tackle.

He reminds me of Dean Kemp from West Coast a bit. Fearless, strong and skilled.

bornadog
24-02-2020, 12:21 PM
Nah you guys are crazy.

I've always wanted an elite key forward to play for us. Naughton looks like he could be that guy, and a really fun version at that. Screw whats better for the team, ive seen good key defenders before. Naughton stays forward please.

I am with you on this, a key forward is worth their weight in gold. Anyone can play back.

Besides, our defense was one of the best in the second half of last year, so no need to panic.

GVGjr
24-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Marley Williams given a 2 week suspension for his hit on Ed Richards. Seems a week light to me

bornadog
24-02-2020, 05:57 PM
Marley Williams given a 2 week suspension for his hit on Ed Richards. Seems a week light to me

If they want to cut this sort of thing out, then it should have been at minimum 4 weeks

AshMac
24-02-2020, 06:39 PM
He reminds me of Dean Kemp from West Coast a bit. Fearless, strong and skilled.

Love his aggression. He could turn into such a powerful mid that makes all the boys around him stand a foot taller

Grantysghost
24-02-2020, 06:46 PM
If they want to cut this sort of thing out, then it should have been at minimum 4 weeks

Considering Ed will probably be nursing a concussion for a couple of weeks. They had a chance to stamp out that kind of cowardice early and they've bottled it.

GVGjr
24-02-2020, 06:51 PM
Considering Ed will probably be nursing a concussion for a couple of weeks. They had a chance to stamp out that kind of cowardice early and they've bottled it.

I think 3 weeks was the right mark and would have sent a strong message. I hope Ed is getting better

kruder
24-02-2020, 06:53 PM

Under the rules he should have got 2 weeks and thats exactly what he got so not much the review panel could of done.

Agree the AFL needs to take the lead on this one as KINGGY said on SEN this morning.

Go_Dogs
24-02-2020, 08:35 PM
I think 3 weeks was the right mark and would have sent a strong message. I hope Ed is getting better

Agreed. 3 weeks is what I thought at the game and nothing changed that view as more angles were shown.

AshMac
25-02-2020, 09:23 AM

Agree. Enough of a message early, and enough of a deterrent which they can be consistent with throughout the year. Couple of north mates were livid w the 2 weeks...

Bulldog4life
25-02-2020, 11:04 AM
Nah you guys are crazy.

Agree. A Jack Dyer saying was "Mugs to the backline". He also said "He's a good ordinary footballer." (about Carlton's Peter Bosustow) ;)

GVGjr
25-02-2020, 11:15 AM
Agree. A Jack Dyer saying was "Mugs to the backline". He also said "He's a good ordinary footballer." (about Carlton's Peter Bosustow) ;)

I think that is also the premise of Tom Hafey dragging Royce Hart out of the surf in preference to a back man (Tony Jewell I think)

westdog54
25-02-2020, 11:55 AM

One of my favourite moments of watching Marcus through his career came in the 1st quarter of that game.

After Firrito's attempts to get in his face before the 1st bounce, he's rebounding off half back and goes to kick down the line.

Bont smothers the ball out of bounds, eyeballs him with a massive grin on his face and then proceeds to remind him just how much of a hack he really is.

Satisfying.

I have no idea about Duperouzel but I love Crozier. My fave part is I get to turn to my Freo supporting Missus 10 times every game "Hey Babe"...pause for impact..."Thanks for Crozier".

I've almost forgiven him for that mark he took against me in the u18's at Subiaco Oval. ALMOST.

Its rare that I jump out of my chair at home when I'm watching the football.

When Hayden took THAT mark against Collingwood I pretty much lost my s***.

He's an absolute gem and we got him for a bargain.

Mofra
25-02-2020, 12:14 PM
I suspect we'd favour Trengove, simply because he has the bigger engine.
Sweet shows signs but he had more of a chop-out during the game than English or Trengove would have required. Firmly in the 'developing' category for mine.

I was really, really surprised with his kicking though. Pleasantly surprised.

Danjul
27-02-2020, 09:27 AM
I suspect we'd favour Trengove, simply because he has the bigger engine.
Sweet shows signs but he had more of a chop-out during the game than English or Trengove would have required. Firmly in the 'developing' category for mine.

I was really, really surprised with his kicking though. Pleasantly surprised.

Goldstein tore the Dogs apart in 2019 and was clearly best on ground, so I think we have to take the quality of Sweet’s opponents into account when assessing him.

His use of the ball by foot and hand surprised me. The way he used his body to hold ground in ruck contests was positive. Although Goldstein had more hitouts (seemed taller?) a larger proportion were ineffective than last year. Sweet also tried to hit the ball to advantage and was more successful than we usually see. I suspect that he was close to even in that aspect.

For a first game l saw a lot to like.

GVGjr
27-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Goldstein tore the Dogs apart in 2019 and was clearly best on ground, so I think we have to take the quality of Sweet’s opponents into account when assessing him.

His use of the ball by foot and hand surprised me. The way he used his body to hold ground in ruck contests was positive. Although Goldstein had more hitouts (seemed taller?) a larger proportion were ineffective than last year. Sweet also tried to hit the ball to advantage and was more successful than we usually see. I suspect that he was close to even in that aspect.

For a first game l saw a lot to like.

I think one other thing to factor is that Goldstein thrives on rucking 90% of the game and against us he had to split his time with Xerri. Sweet is certainly benefiting from his 2nd preseason with us but I suspect in a proper game Goldy would have worked himj over and tuned him up.

Sweets performance though shows that a lot can happen in 12 months and he has improved substantially.

Mofra
27-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Sweets performance though shows that a lot can happen in 12 months and he has improved substantially.
Agree, and for a rookie listed work in progress you can;t really ask of much more. He clearly has a lot to work on but he's probably ahead of where most of us expected him to be in his development.

GVGjr
27-02-2020, 09:50 AM
Agree, and for a rookie listed work in progress you can;t really ask of much more. He clearly has a lot to work on but he's probably ahead of where most of us expected him to be in his development.

If he continues to improve his days as a rookie will be numbered.
Needs to improve his tank and agility but good signs so far

Go_Dogs
28-02-2020, 10:11 PM

He's at least one year ahead of where I thought he'd be. I may have had very low expectations but I thought I'd see a guy who was at best breaking even in the ruck and struggling to do much else.