PDA

View Full Version : Rivals fume

GVGjr
19-02-2020, 09:43 PM
Western Bulldogs set to secure ‘generational talent’ Jamarra Ugle-Hagan at a huge draft discount (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/western-bulldogs-set-to-secure-generational-talent-jamarra-uglehagan-at-a-huge-draft-discount/news-story/d1d1da4532f61f6acbd0fcc105fda468)

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/a0e28c858473a3b011983e4f7eafcb88?width=1024

Clubs are in uproar over the generous concessions which will give the Western Bulldogs a 20 per cent discount on the best underage player in the country.

Gun forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is widely considered this year’s top draft prospect and is headed to the kennel as part of the club’s academy system.

A talent spotter on Wednesday said the speedy 195cm goal kicker was “a generational talent” who had “freakish ability to put separation on his opponents in the forward half”.

But, despite an AFL review last year which backed-in the next generation academy system as it stands, there is increasing angst in club land about the discount apportioned to the multicultural and indigenous players being selected through each clubs’ NGA zone.

One club official said the Dogs had hit the “draft jackpot” with guaranteed and discounted access to the indigenous Ugle-Hagan in the first round.

“This kid does it all, and when he puts on 20kg in an AFL club environment, look out,” the talent expert said.

“It is clear the system really needs to change because it is so compromised.

“Jamarra has played footy his whole life – that is not what the next generation academies were designed for.”

Clubs contacted by the Herald Sun said it was time the league changed the criteria so either the next generation academy discount didn’t apply to the top youngsters in the elite pathway system, or the guaranteed access was scrapped in the first round altogether.

Ugle-Hagan, for example, is a stand-out for Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup and attends Scotch College. The 17-year-old is originally from Warrnambool which falls into the Dogs’ catchment.

An overwhelming majority of clubs contacted said the AFL should eliminate the discount if the player is an outstanding talent and is taken in the first or second-round of the draft, despite having a multicultural family background.

Clubs can enlist a player into their next generation academy if they have an indigenous or multicultural family background and fall into their zone.

“The criteria, or how a player qualifies for the NGA, is completely flawed,” another official said.

“The whole purpose was to grow the talent pool and invite players into the football system from non-football backgrounds.

“What is happening is the clubs are cherry-picking the best players who have played footy their whole life, and getting them more cheaply at the draft.

“Just because they have a parent who was born overseas or something.”

Collingwood profited two years ago when it nabbed Isaac Quaynor, a gun half-back from the Oakleigh Chargers, through its next generation academy.

“It is out of control, now” another recruiter said. “They (AFL) have created a monster.”

Under AFL rules, the Western Bulldogs not only have guaranteed access to Ugle-Hagen, they also receive a 20 per cent discount on the draft pick they use on him.

It means if a bid came at pick No. 1 (which is worth 3000 draft value index points), the Dogs would have to hand over the picks equivalent to 2400 points.

For example, the Dogs would have to fork over pick No. 3 (2234) and pick No. 59 (158), or under another scenario, No. 7 (1644) and No. 25 (756) to claim Ugle-Hagan.

The 600 point discount is equivalent to keeping pick No. 32.

One list manager said there needed to be an overhaul.

‘I’m a big supporter of the NGA program, but really the focus should be on the players who aren’t necessarily going to be taken in the early part of the draft,” he said.

“And if they are taken early, (there should be) no discounts.”

Remi Moses
19-02-2020, 09:44 PM
Magnificent
I can smell their envy

GVGjr
19-02-2020, 09:46 PM
Could you imagine if JUH was linked to Collingwood? Eddie would come out swinging hard at this sort of article.

Looking forward to seeing JUH playing for us in 2021

comrade
19-02-2020, 09:46 PM
What's the point of publishing this now? Just a re-hash of the same articles printed last year, with zero new insights or information.

comrade
19-02-2020, 09:47 PM
Could you imagine if JUH was linked to Collingwood? Eddie would come out swinging hard at this sort of article.

They have Reef McInnes coming through, who will be a top 15 pick.

jeemak
19-02-2020, 10:56 PM
I love this.

It will be even better when we win the flag this year, after easily eclipsing any other club for free kicks in our favour.

whythelongface
19-02-2020, 11:05 PM
I love this.

It will be even better when we win the flag this year, after easily eclipsing any other club for free kicks in our favour.

ditto - nothing like getting the rub of the green on a few things and making other clubs envious.

bulldogtragic
19-02-2020, 11:06 PM

I'm looking forward to watching him this year.

When he arrives, we have three talls taken inside the top 10 and Bruce (who was pre-draft zone selection).

LostDoggy
19-02-2020, 11:07 PM
Those damn silver spoon bulldogs always getting the best deal from the AFL.

jeemak
19-02-2020, 11:16 PM
I'm looking forward to watching him this year.

When he arrives, we have three talls taken inside the top 10 and Bruce (who was pre-draft zone selection).

To think that Tim English wasn't at this point is just phenomenal.

bulldogtragic
19-02-2020, 11:41 PM
To think that Tim English wasn't at this point is just phenomenal.

The cherry on top of the Premiership cake.

I hope Cody Raak stays fit and gets attention too. If we play finals and get dibs on the best KPF AND a good KPD and MacPherson, we will be truly hated. I love when we are hated.

bornadog
19-02-2020, 11:45 PM
Love this. For once, yes for once the cards fall our way and the rest of the clubs can get stuffed

comrade
20-02-2020, 08:32 AM
Anyone else concerned that AFL will try to save face and find a loop hole to re-zone Jamarra now that he’s boarding in Melbourne and playing for Chargers?

The fact that this is getting airtime in the AFL’s de facto newsletter is a little disconcerting.

Mofra
20-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Anyone else concerned that AFL will try to save face and find a loop hole to re-zone Jamarra now that he’s boarding in Melbourne and playing for Chargers?

The fact that this is getting airtime in the AFL’s de facto newsletter is a little disconcerting.
We need to get on the front foot and highlight a whole raft of inconsistencies.

What are the odds the clubs complaining have been beneficiaries of zoning/desirable schedules in the past?

MrMahatma
20-02-2020, 10:07 AM

There’s certainly an in built fear of not getting him that will only leave once we’ve got him!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-02-2020, 10:21 AM

I don't think so. I was afraid last year, but I can't see post-review they could then change their minds at this late stage. Having said that I expect they will modify rules going forward.
I love that for once we are the beneficiaries of some luck with rules.
I mean Geelong got gifted father sons at 3rd round prices, Hawkins, Ablett, Scarlett before the rules were changed. Meanwhile we had to use pick 11 on Ayce Cordy.

I have no doubt we are the fortunate beneficiaries of an ill thought out zoning rule, and it will be changed.
I hope it is, after JUH is wearing Red, White & Blue!

I recently observed my soon to be 7 yr old, in the backyard with his footy commentating on his game..." And Jamarra-Ugle Hagan takes a other speccie!'..he's already aboard the hype train after watching him in the Under 18's last year.

Happy Days
20-02-2020, 10:21 AM

Not really.

I looked into Isaac Quaynor to see if he relocated to play for Oakleigh in a similar manner, but turns out he lived in Doncaster his whole life and played juniors at Beverly Hills. Good thing the Academies didn’t let him get away though.

The fact is pretty much all of the players recruited through the system are done through tenuous means and do nothing to meet the stated aims of the system. Buku is the only one I can think of who has been afforded an opportunity he wouldn’t have otherwise gotten due to the academies.

If they can justify Nick Blakey going to Sydney then this is way above board.

bulldogtragic
20-02-2020, 10:29 AM

Nah, it's click bait. You were dead right above, it's almost identical to a story they ran last year. JUH hasn't played a game since that time. The AFEL made no changes then and now with our list management already in place I don't think they can change things and I think the AFEL have agreed with this argument. Their window to rig the system against us hs expired. The pissed off club was apparently GWS, who haven't plundered zones and academies...

If he turns it on this year, there's going to be 100 similar stories. I'm completely confident the noise will sell newspapers and drive up Internet traffic. I'm also completely confidant he's a Bulldogs player next year.

Bulldog4life
20-02-2020, 11:30 AM
Nah, it's click bait. You were dead right above, it's almost identical to a story they ran last year. JUH hasn't played a game since that time. The AFEL made no changes then and now with our list management already in place I don't think they can change things and I think the AFEL have agreed with this argument. Their window to rig the system against us hs expired. The pissed off club was apparently GWS, who haven't plundered zones and academies...

If he turns it on this year, there's going to be 100 similar stories. I'm completely confident the noise will sell newspapers and drive up Internet traffic. I'm also completely confidant he's a Bulldogs player next year.

I would have preferred you said "I am sure they can't change things" BT.

GVGjr
20-02-2020, 12:17 PM

I think the AFL would have needed to flag this last year before the trade period,
Cautious about a change but very confident we have it in hand

comrade
20-02-2020, 12:40 PM
I think the AFL would have needed to flag this last year before the trade period,
Cautious about a change but very confident we have it in hand

You'd think so, and I honestly believe any changes to points/discounts etc won't be made until next year's draft as they have already publicly declared...but if JUH dominates and proves himself the clear #1 pick this year, I can see a scenario where the AFL considers bowing to pressure to find a loop hole to void his eligibility/zoning which is different from making changes to the points system.

It would be a disgrace and I would hope we fight it with every fibre of PG's legal might, but I wouldn't put it past the AFL to at least seriously consider it.

Rocket Science
20-02-2020, 01:36 PM
And long may they fume while he's routinely sitting on the heads of their best defenders.

Imagine the oceans of tears if we manage to go alright this season then crown it with plucking Marra at a discount.

Get your lifeboats ready.

comrade
20-02-2020, 01:39 PM
Get your lifeboats ready.

Until he's smiling in a Bulldogs jumper on draft night, I'll have mine ready too.

Twodogs
20-02-2020, 01:48 PM
I will believe he's ours when I see him wearing the tricolor on draft night.

jeemak
20-02-2020, 01:49 PM
You'd think so, and I honestly believe any changes to points/discounts etc won't be made until next year's draft as they have already publicly declared...but if JUH dominates and proves himself the clear #1 pick this year, I can see a scenario where the AFL considers bowing to pressure to find a loop hole to void his eligibility/zoning which is different from making changes to the points system.

It would be a disgrace and I would hope we fight it with every fibre of PG's legal might, but I wouldn't put it past the AFL to at least seriously consider it.

They would need to have a pretty big sweetener in it for us in order to avoid a legal battle.

bulldogtragic
20-02-2020, 02:03 PM
I like to think I'm pessimistic as the next person, especially with the AFEL. I'm not sure why there's concern. The NGA review report ink isn't even dry yet where despite GWS referencing JUH in their sooking, the AFEL made no changes. They ticked off on JUH training at the club over summer. They were in meetings with Ch7 & the AFEL which got us a bunch of Prime Time games (& the associated commercial returns). They still support Ballarat. They gave us Good Friday this year. Before all that Peter Gordon successfully defended Gil in a lawsuit. I'm no fan or apologist for the AFEL, but it's ok.

comrade
20-02-2020, 02:14 PM
I like to think I'm pessimistic as the next person, especially with the AFEL. I'm not sure why there's concern. The NGA review report ink isn't even dry yet where despite GWS referencing JUH in their sooking, the AFEL made no changes. They ticked off on JUH training at the club over summer. They were in meetings with Ch7 & the AFEL which got us a bunch of Prime Time games (& the associated commercial returns). They still support Ballarat. They gave us Good Friday this year. Before all that Peter Gordon successfully defended Gil in a lawsuit. I'm no fan or apologist for the AFEL, but it's ok.

The pessimist might counter that given they have supported us in those ways, they can justify balancing it out by reaming us on the NGA issue...

We are still somewhat expendable in the scheme of things.

craigsahibee
20-02-2020, 02:28 PM
I don't think so. I was afraid last year, but I can't see post-review they could then change their minds at this late stage. Having said that I expect they will modify rules going forward.
I love that for once we are the beneficiaries of some luck with rules.
I mean Geelong got gifted father sons at 3rd round prices, Hawkins, Ablett, Scarlett before the rules were changed. Meanwhile we had to use pick 11 on Ayce Cordy.

I have no doubt we are the fortunate beneficiaries of an ill thought out zoning rule, and it will be changed.
I hope it is, after JUH is wearing Red, White & Blue!

I recently observed my soon to be 7 yr old, in the backyard with his footy commentating on his game..." And Jamarra-Ugle Hagan takes a other speccie!'..he's already aboard the hype train after watching him in the Under 18's last year.

And we missed out on Ben and Sam Reid because the AFEL changed the Father-Son qualification from 50 to 100 games. Bruce played 95.

bornadog
20-02-2020, 02:31 PM
All I really worry about is whether he turns out to be as good once he is drafted and ready to play.

bulldogtragic
20-02-2020, 02:56 PM
The pessimist might counter that given they have supported us in those ways, they can justify balancing it out by reaming us on the NGA issue...

We are still somewhat expendable in the scheme of things.

They had a legit chance to burn us with their review, and they didn't. Not one single thing has changed since or because of the NGA review. They didn't even reduce the 20% discount or cap it harder. There's also a big stick of PG, Eddie & Kennett who all have top NGA prospects this year. It's easier for the AFEL to focus on other things and not pick a fight with 3 media savvy club presidents with a big megaphone across AM/FM radio and newspapers. I'm not losing sleep.

comrade
20-02-2020, 03:06 PM
They had a legit chance to burn us with their review, and they didn't. Not one single thing has changed since or because of the NGA review. They didn't even reduce the 20% discount or cap it harder. There's also a big stick of PG, Eddie & Kennett who all have top NGA prospects this year. It's easier for the AFEL to focus on other things and not pick a fight with 3 media savvy club presidents with a big megaphone across AM/FM radio and newspapers. I'm not losing sleep.

Look, you are probably right.

But until he's wearing a Dogs jumper, there'll be some anxiety.

bulldogtragic
20-02-2020, 03:35 PM
Look, you are probably right.

But until he's wearing a Dogs jumper, there'll be some anxiety.

Wait to see if Raak & MacPherson blitz it too. Then some of the footy media might turn it up again...

Bulldog Revolution
20-02-2020, 04:14 PM
I will believe he's ours when I see him wearing the tricolor on draft night.

Love the cynical attitude

Myself, Im still waiting on the draft compensation for Tony McGuinness

Twodogs
20-02-2020, 07:18 PM
Love the cynical attitude

Myself, Im still waiting on the draft compensation for Tony McGuinness

And Simon Tregenza.

Murray Rance.

Topdog
21-02-2020, 01:05 PM
Bloody fantastic to read

Bulldog Revolution
21-02-2020, 04:31 PM
And Simon Tregenza.

Murray Rance.

Kym Koster

KT31
22-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Bevo not happy.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-coach-luke-beveridge-hits-back-over-recruiter-reports/news-story/923c84ebf004cea7ade032cf2ec2895e?from=htc_rss

strebla
22-02-2020, 08:37 PM
I love Bevo's think it say it attitude !!! The NGA has gone through the process it's done so sook all you like JUH is ours we will however need to find a place for him in the side!! That's all I'm worried about .

AshMac
25-02-2020, 07:24 PM
The pies, giants, Kangas and swans have all made out like bandits and now clubs are annoyed we’re getting a player?

Don’t get me started in the priority pick system and “parity” in the league!

Stevo
25-02-2020, 07:30 PM
The pies, giants, Kangas and swans have all made out like bandits and now clubs are annoyed we’re getting a player?

The priority pick has it's place but the AFL needs to be sure that clubs aren't doing a Melbourne and positioning themselves for consideration. Also it can't be granted to clubs who have been cheating the cap or the draft in the last 7 years.
The Suns seem to have organised themselves so now have limited claims.

choconmientay
06-03-2020, 11:30 AM

You got me interested so I did a quick check of all top 20 Academy picks in the recent years. They all have their time but still want to spoil ours.

2019:
Liam Henry - Freo, Pick 9
Tom Green - GWS, Pick 10

2018:
Tarryn Thomas - North, Pick 8
Nick Blakey - Swans, Pick 10
Isaac Quaynor - Collingwood, Pick 13

2017 - No top 20 Academy picks.

2016:
Will Setterfield, (GWS) Carlton, Pick 5
Jack Bowes, GC, Pick 10
Harry Perryman, GWS, Pick 14
Isaac Cumming, GWS, Pick 20

2015:
Callum Mills, Sydney, Pick 3
Jacob Hopper, GWS, Pick 7
Matthew Kennedy, (GWS) Carlton, Pick 13
Eric Hipwood, Brisbane, Pick 14
Harrison Himmelberg, GWS, Pick 16

2014:
Isaac Heeney, Sydney, Pick 18

2013 - No top 20 Academy picks.

jeemak
06-03-2020, 12:48 PM
If the rumours about GWS cracking it are true then...……..

Happy Days
06-03-2020, 12:57 PM

Remember when they cracked it about getting booed at their own ground? Or when Phil Davis cracked it about players leaving their club to play elsewhere?

They LIVE to crack it, circumstance and their own history be damned.

azabob
06-03-2020, 01:00 PM
Thanks ChocoM. Great research, just like your photography.

Some fairly talented players in the list.

jeemak
09-03-2020, 02:48 AM
Remember when they cracked it about getting booed at their own ground? Or when Phil Davis cracked it about players leaving their club to play elsewhere?

They LIVE to crack it, circumstance and their own history be damned.

It's a really strange vibe they have isn't it. I suppose that's what happens with petulant children who are handed everything on a platter since birth. And you know what, with the hard knocks they've taken with finals and the effort they've put in over the years they'd actually be tolerable if they were just a bit humble and a touch understanding of the sacrifices all of the other clubs have made so they can actually exist.

Bulldog4life
09-03-2020, 01:36 PM

Interesting that Jason McCartney is List Manager at GWS. :rolleyes:

Twodogs
09-03-2020, 01:47 PM
You got me interested so I did a quick check of all top 20 Academy picks in the recent years. They all have their time but still want to spoil ours.

2019:
Liam Henry - Freo, Pick 9
Tom Green - GWS, Pick 10

2018:
Tarryn Thomas - North, Pick 8
Nick Blakey - Swans, Pick 10
Isaac Quaynor - Collingwood, Pick 13

2017 - No top 20 Academy picks.

2016:
Will Setterfield, (GWS) Carlton, Pick 5
Jack Bowes, GC, Pick 10
Harry Perryman, GWS, Pick 14
Isaac Cumming, GWS, Pick 20

2015:
Callum Mills, Sydney, Pick 3
Jacob Hopper, GWS, Pick 7
Matthew Kennedy, (GWS) Carlton, Pick 13
Eric Hipwood, Brisbane, Pick 14
Harrison Himmelberg, GWS, Pick 16

2014:
Isaac Heeney, Sydney, Pick 18

2013 - No top 20 Academy picks.

We must be so up and inside their heads that they would prefer to cut their own throat (they have received 7 players under the academy system to our 1 and we haven't actually got him yet) as opposed to just letting us have one.

*!*!*!*!ing ace.

Mofra
11-03-2020, 09:55 AM
Or when Jono Patton publically slagged off Tom Boyd for leaving the club? He'd never do anything like that...