PDA

View Full Version : Asking for a friend.

mjp
09-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Can anyone tell me who is going to play on Dixon next time we play against Port? Because if the plan is to play Keath on him, well, I don't think I like that plan very much. We recruit an intercept defender, then make him play 1-v-1 on opposition bigs and get mid-sizers to play the intercept role? R-I-G-H-T!!! After watching the game on the weekend, I am more certain than ever that this whole thing is strange at best and completely flawed at worst. But the match committee seem completely cool with it from top to bottom.

While you are at it, if you could let me know who is going to play on Lynch, Brown, Kennedy, Cameron etc as well that would be absolutely awesome as I can't actually figure that out either.

Sedat
09-03-2020, 03:03 PM
Trengove I hope. Otherwise what was the point of giving him a 4 year contract as a mature experienced player?

mjp
09-03-2020, 03:13 PM
Trengove I hope. Otherwise what was the point of giving him a 4 year contract as a mature experienced player?

Yeah?

Well, my friend doesn't think that's the plan...he seems to think Trengove is only there as a 'break glass in case of emergency' option in the ruck. Maybe.

GVGjr
09-03-2020, 03:17 PM
Can anyone tell me who is going to play on Dixon next time we play against Port? Because if the plan is to play Keath on him, well, I don't think I like that plan very much. We recruit an intercept defender, then make him play 1-v-1 on opposition bigs and get mid-sizers to play the intercept role? R-I-G-H-T!!! After watching the game on the weekend, I am more certain than ever that this whole thing is strange at best and completely flawed at worst. But the match committee seem completely cool with it from top to bottom.

While you are at it, if you could let me know who is going to play on Lynch, Brown, Kennedy, Cameron etc as well that would be absolutely awesome as I can't actually figure that out either.

Mentioned some similar during the trade period and questioned if it genuinely suited our needs.
There is no question that Keath is a very good zoning and intercept defender with good kicking skills, Lewis Young has some claims in that intercepting area as well but he's not quite as adept yet as Keath. Wood zones off nicely and Crozier punches above his weigth in many of match-ups he is given.
That leaves Cordy, who is out of form, and Trengove, who might be out of favor, to cover the opposition key forward unless we are prepared to move Naughton back. How do we cover his 32 goals from last year though if we pull that trigger?
Bruce was supposed to come in and add to the mix of 3 key forwards well that is how it was advertised to us.

We are still a decent tall short from a list management perspective.
Howard, who preferred the Saints, might have been a better recruit for us

mjp
09-03-2020, 03:27 PM
Mentioned some similar during the trade period and questioned if it genuinely suited our needs.

I feel that I have been saying the same and in the game on Saturday the reality of the situation was jarring.

Maybe Keath will LEARN how to defend...but it seems like an unnecessary risk to be taking. I see Keath and Young (Le version) as basically the same player...now we have two of them and I'm not sure where either one fits.

Not even Bevo would move Naughton back at this point.

Sedat
09-03-2020, 03:44 PM
Yeah?

Well, my friend doesn't think that's the plan...he seems to think Trengove is only there as a 'break glass in case of emergency' option in the ruck. Maybe.
Granted I haven't seen any of the pre-season but wouldn't Trengove be ideal for those gorilla key forwards? It allows Keath to play interceptor, our mid defenders to have more appropriate match-ups and we keep our forward fire power intact. And in case of an injury to English mid match, we have ruck cover as well.

What is the reason Trengove is so out of favour? If we were so keen to ship Roughy off for virtually nothing because we didn't think he was a key defender, surely it was because we brought in Trengove as this key defensive anchor for the big forwards.

bornadog
09-03-2020, 03:54 PM
Funny thing is I have been saying this for a very long time - Who plays the gorillas.

I can only say it has to be out of Lew Young and Trengove. Keath is more your old fashioned CHB, Cordy is for 3rd talls only. I don't want to see Wood on Buddy ever again.

GVGjr
09-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Funny thing is I have been saying this for a very long time - Who plays the gorillas.

I can only say it has to be out of Lew Young and Trengove. Keath is more your old fashioned CHB, Cordy is for 3rd talls only. I don't want to see Wood on Buddy ever again.

You need to speak to Bevo, he is insistent that Wood plays as a 3rd KP defender. I don't think Wood v Franklin was the disaster you keep implying

I've been saying for years that we were light on for KP and ruckman and even after recruiting 2 KP players I still think we are light on

bornadog
09-03-2020, 04:01 PM
You need to speak to Bevo, he is insistent that Wood plays as a 3rd KP defender. I don't think Wood v Franklin was the disaster you keep implying

I've been saying for years that we were light on for KP and ruckman and even after recruiting 2 KP players I still think we are light on

As you know it is difficult to recruit a good KP. The club have tried for years and finally we are getting somewhere. We probably have the best bunch we have had for as long as I can remember.

GVGjr
09-03-2020, 04:08 PM
I feel that I have been saying the same and in the game on Saturday the reality of the situation was jarring.

Maybe Keath will LEARN how to defend...but it seems like an unnecessary risk to be taking. I see Keath and Young (Le version) as basically the same player...now we have two of them and I'm not sure where either one fits.

Not even Bevo would move Naughton back at this point.

Before we traded for both Keath and Bruce the general consensus was we had enough KP players and certainly ruck man which I think was a flawed approach. Even with adding 2 KP player I think we are light on and I agree Young is very similar to Keath so I suspect he will be moved forward

GVGjr
09-03-2020, 04:19 PM
As you know it is difficult to recruit a good KP. The club have tried for years and finally we are getting somewhere. We probably have the best bunch we have had for as long as I can remember.

Is it, maybe is it is just for us to develop them? We have traded for Boyd, Schache, Keath and Bruce and acquired Trengove. We haven't done a lot of developing but I have high hopes for both Lewis and Lachlan Young
We let go of Hamling and Adams and didn't go hard at covering them even with Collins not measuring up and we didn't replace Roughead who B-Mac was unfairly criticized for playing him as a key defender and yet he had a good season with Collingwood last year and played well in round one of the Marsh series.

On top of that some were even saying Naughton was too short for a KP player as well

I'm not sure it's that difficult.

bornadog
09-03-2020, 04:26 PM
Is it, maybe is it is just for us to develop them? We have traded for Boyd, Schache, Keath and Bruce and acquired Trengove. We haven't done a lot of developing but I have high hopes for both Lewis and Lachlan Young
We let go of Hamling and Adams and didn't go hard at covering them even with Collins not measuring up and we didn't replace Roughead who B-Mac was unfairly criticized for playing him as a key defender and yet he had a good season with Collingwood last year and played well in round one of the Marsh series.

On top of that some were even saying Naughton was too short for a KP player as well

I'm not sure it's that difficult.

Sorry I cannot agree that La Young is a KP.

How many more would you like and should have recruited for this year?:

Current.

English, Timothy
205cm

Sweet, Jordon R
203cm

Schache, Josh
199cm

Young, Lewis
197cm

Trengove, Jackson
197cm

Bruce, Josh
197cm

Keath, Alex
197cm

Gardner, Ryan R
197cm

Naughton, Aaron
195cm

Cordy, Zaine
193cm

GVGjr
09-03-2020, 04:31 PM
I said before we were one decent KP defender light on, nothings changed on that front.
So given those players why does Wood often play as D3?

Bulldog4life
09-03-2020, 04:32 PM
If Naughty comes in and Schache plays vfl should he be tried at CHB?

bornadog
09-03-2020, 04:34 PM
I said before we were one decent KP defender light on, nothings changed on that front.

I really don't like it and can't answer the question.

comrade
09-03-2020, 05:05 PM
Naughton.

jeemak
09-03-2020, 07:49 PM
Keath definitely didn't seem aggressive enough and this was exacerbated by our other defenders being disorganised under the high ball.

I'm with comrade, I think it's possible that we get Naughton to do it if Keath doesn't improve, or bring Trengove in as required.

comrade
09-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Or maybe we just plan on dominating the midfield and protect our paper thin defence. Some brass cahones from Bev if that’s the way we go.

Hotdog60
09-03-2020, 08:38 PM
It maybe very left field but Sweet would be a interesting prospect at full back.
It does rob us a ruck but he has some size for the bigger players and a not a bad kick.
We really don't have an answer for the role even JT wouldn't be a totally safe option.

ledge
09-03-2020, 09:12 PM
Maybe it was just a practice match and Bevo was just throwing things around to see what worked, maybe he doesn’t want to show all his cards either.
Port play us next time based on how we were in a practice game and we are completely different, maybe it is for all teams to think it’s how we will line up.
I’m not fussed at all as long as we didn’t get smashed or get injured.
Do we base to much analysis on a practice game ?
I saw good movement and a few things we could do better but remember it was a practice match.
Would we prefer to stop Dixon and get the risk of injury ?
The last quarter seemed to be bruise free.

The Underdog
09-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Or maybe we just plan on dominating the midfield and protect our paper thin defence. Some brass cahones from Bev if that’s the way we go.

He’s always been one to back in our strengths to cover our weaknesses. It’s definitely a problem though. And one that can be exposed pretty easily given the lack of pace in our forward line to stop opposition teams exiting quickly.
I doubt Bevo is keeping something up his sleeve given the use of nearly full strength squad to gain cohesiveness in the pre-season, but it’ll be interesting to see if there’s a plan.

Twodogs
09-03-2020, 10:55 PM
We played with 6 players on the bench and they had 8 so it's not that surprising that we ran out of puff.

comrade
10-03-2020, 09:09 AM
We played with 6 players on the bench and they had 8 so it's not that surprising that we ran out of puff.

They lost Lycett and Dixon before 3QT and still overran us.

The Pie Man
10-03-2020, 10:58 AM
Assuming Cox plays round one, do you trust Keath with this?

It's not his go - I really don't know why JT has fallen so far down the pecking order, just hoping the next 10 days can give them a chance to review and resolve.

mjp
10-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Assuming Cox plays round one, do you trust Keath with this?

I actually do trust him with Cox who hasn't really been a 'physical' player in years past. But if he is playing on Cox, then he needs to defend the lead...that isn't what he is best at.

Collingwood have a dangerous - but weirdly constructed - forward group.

Templeton31
10-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Who played on the gorillas last year when we won games?

I remember Trengrove a few times and I liked what I saw. Not perfect (who is?) but competed hard.
Le Young too light bodied. Same with Zaine.
Did Fletch play some games last year?

The Doctor
10-03-2020, 06:57 PM
Jordan Roughead?

Go_Dogs
10-03-2020, 07:25 PM
I'm not ready to throw the baby out yet.

Keath will play his best football doing what Rance made a career of doing - were going to need to back Cordy, Wood and Trengove (when selected, surely we will remember he came in and helped our structure last year, albeit makes mistakes too) to get the job done in the one of one match ups. The issue I have is if we had Keath playing that role, Cordy and Wood would receive a sufficient enough chop out from Keath as a third man/interceptor that we could get away with carrying a slightly undersized defensive group. Playing him in a different role seems to undermine the whole intent...

Mantis
10-03-2020, 09:23 PM
I'm not ready to throw the baby out yet.

Keath will play his best football doing what Rance made a career of doing - were going to need to back Cordy, Wood and Trengove (when selected, surely we will remember he came in and helped our structure last year, albeit makes mistakes too) to get the job done in the one of one match ups. The issue I have is if we had Keath playing that role, Cordy and Wood would receive a sufficient enough chop out from Keath as a third man/interceptor that we could get away with carrying a slightly undersized defensive group. Playing him in a different role seems to undermine the whole intent...

Rance was able to play the way he did because Astbury played the lock down role.. who is our Astbury?

Bulldog Revolution
10-03-2020, 11:58 PM

Because he doesn't add enough as a small rebounding defender - so he has to player as our 3rd tall

GVGjr
11-03-2020, 12:16 AM
Because he doesn't add enough as a small rebounding defender - so he has to player as our 3rd tall

Exactly. If he is used as the 4th player we are way too static. He doesn't have the skill level of a Crozier, Suckling or Daniel or the pace of JJ. He plays on bigger players because most weeks that is the only spot available for him.

Mofra
11-03-2020, 09:54 AM
Bevo doesn't seem too concerned about one on ones because he has mentioned more than once that they shouldn't occur.
The problem with that is we can reduce them or mitigate them... but they do occur.

Trengove is well out of favour and I dare say it's due to the fact he doesn't rebound with any confidence, and this year we are setting up for all out attack. We will concede big scores this year and roll the dice on kicking bigger ones ourselves.

I do like the acquisition of Keath - I don't like him playing deep but I expect teams will do their best to drag him as deep as possible to take away from his intercept ability.

mjp
11-03-2020, 12:21 PM
Bevo doesn't seem too concerned about one on ones because he has mentioned more than once that they shouldn't occur.

I absolutely love this.

It sounds like the scene in 'The Princess Bride' where Vizzini repeatedly says "Inconceivable" followed by Andre the Giant's character saying "That word - I don't think it means what you think it means"

Mofra
11-03-2020, 12:26 PM
I absolutely love this.

It sounds like the scene in 'The Princess Bride' where Vizzini repeatedly says "Inconceivable" followed by Andre the Giant's character saying "That word - I don't think it means what you think it means"
The question is one of balance. Any 'drive' we get from defence needs to be balanced with our defenders - and this may sound radical - actually defending their opponent.

Trengove had quite a high % of one on ones nullified last year, close to the better defenders in the competition. If Cordy kept Tom Lynch goalless we'd be doing cartwheels, and Trengove did exactly that. Unfortunately the VFLK-watchers indicate Trengove didn't have a great game last weekend and given we picked Young over Trengove at the tail end of last year and he didn't appear in the Marsh series Trengove just isn't in our plans. Qute strange considering we chased him as a FA at $400K pa.

The Pie Man
11-03-2020, 02:21 PM
The question is one of balance. Any 'drive' we get from defence needs to be balanced with our defenders - and this may sound radical - actually defending their opponent.

Trengove had quite a high % of one on ones nullified last year, close to the better defenders in the competition. If Cordy kept Tom Lynch goalless we'd be doing cartwheels, and Trengove did exactly that. Unfortunately the VFLK-watchers indicate Trengove didn't have a great game last weekend and given we picked Young over Trengove at the tail end of last year and he didn't appear in the Marsh series Trengove just isn't in our plans. Qute strange considering we chased him as a FA at $400K pa.

Ja

Remember Gia mentioning after a 2018 pre-season game that they saw him playing a 2nd ruck / forward role. Then he played full forward in Round 1 vs GWS in Canberra and his game mirrored that of the rest of the squad.

Plan abandoned pretty soon after - but I, like plenty here, reckon he's been *more* than solid down back, and in a highly contested finals type game, his competitiveness in the air and at ground level would/could be crucial

Seems unlikely of course.

Go_Dogs
12-03-2020, 06:55 PM
Rance was able to play the way he did because Astbury played the lock down role.. who is our Astbury?

That was my point.

Astbury is no star, he made Rance's life easier and Rance made his life easier. Our system at the moment doesn't support that.