PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Collingwood R1 2020

Pages : [1] 2

Eastdog
18-03-2020, 09:00 PM
It's official the match will go ahead.

Predictions per usual for margin, our first goal scorer and our best on ground.

bulldogtragic
18-03-2020, 09:03 PM
No coronavirus transmissions.
Integrity back in decision making.
No injuries.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Yes it’s on!

Twodogs
18-03-2020, 09:54 PM
Us by 47 points
first goal kicker Bruce
BOG-Bont.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-03-2020, 10:02 PM
Dogs by 11 points
BOG Bont
1st Goal Wallis

BornInDroopSt'54
18-03-2020, 10:21 PM
JFHC is it true?
Bulldogs by 7 points.
BOG Bailey Smith
First goal Schache.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-03-2020, 10:23 PM
There must be a season now there is a round.

Eastdog
18-03-2020, 10:25 PM
Dogs by 3 points in a thriller with all of us cheering into Marvel Stadium from our homes
First Goal: Josh Bruce
Best On Ground: THE BONT

bornadog
18-03-2020, 10:53 PM
Crowd Zero
Dogs by 7
First Goal. Lloyd
BOG: Bont

josie
18-03-2020, 11:12 PM
First goal - Wallis
BOG - Bont
Dogs by 2 points

Happy Days
18-03-2020, 11:20 PM
Dogs by 20
BOG - Bont
First - Lloyd

Bite it you scum

angelopetraglia
18-03-2020, 11:36 PM
I’m flat for the first time in my life for the start of the footy season. So sad to see what is happening. What is footy without fans?

BornInDroopSt'54
19-03-2020, 01:32 AM
I’m flat for the first time in my life for the start of the footy season. So sad to see what is happening. What is footy without fans?
It may improve the umpiring.

Hotdog60
19-03-2020, 07:46 AM
It may improve the umpiring.

Especially out west.

bornadog
19-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Naughton, Bruce and Keath all playing tomorrow night.

GVGjr
19-03-2020, 10:11 AM
Naughton, Bruce and Keath all playing tomorrow night.

Great news regarding Naughton

comrade
19-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Reduced game time will help some players and hurt others. Should help English compete against beasts like Grundy, who just keep going all game. But doesn’t help the likes of Macrae and Hunter.

How are we positioned to take advantage of the reduced game time?

bornadog
19-03-2020, 10:43 AM
Some snippets from Bevo Press Conference:

* Aaron Naughton will take on Collingwood. Alex Keath and Josh Bruce will also to make their debut in Dogs colours

* At this stage clubs have been told that round 2 will go ahead as scheduled.

* No games to be brought forward to mid-week as of yet but that could change

* No VFL footy makes it harder for injured players coming back. Tom Liberatore one of those. Dogs can’t put a timeframe on when he’ll be back.

* Beveridge suggested clubs be allowed to play 14 v 14 scratch matches to build up match fitness of those not selected

Axe Man
19-03-2020, 12:20 PM
Cavarra gets his chance (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/578281/cavarra-gets-his-chance)

Ben Cavarra will make his AFL debut on Friday night against Collingwood.

Mature-age forward Ben Cavarra will make his AFL debut on Friday night.

Cavarra will run out in red, white and blue for the first time when the Western Bulldogs host Collingwood at Marvel Stadium.

It’s been a long journey for the 24-year-old, after missing out on multiple drafts before joining the Bulldogs with pick 45 in 2018.

Former Bulldogs star and now VFL senior coach Daniel Giansiracusa presented Cavarra with his jumper in a team meeting on Thursday morning.

“It’s been an interesting journey, overlooked a couple of times in drafts and things like that,” Giansiracusa said in the team meeting.

“We’ve known him for just over 12 months – he was in a hurry when he got here.

“He’s a hungry little goal sneak and his body probably failed him a little bit last year, but he continued to grow and learn from those experiences.

“He continues to knock down the coaches’ door about trying to get better.”

Cavarra had more than his fair share of injuries in his first year as a Bulldog, managing just 12 VFL games around quad, hamstring, rib and shoulder injuries.

But he’s now ready to make the most of his opportunity after a strong pre-season.

“It’s been a really long journey for me,” Cavarra told his teammates.

“Overlooked six times, constantly told I’m not good enough and that sort of stuff.

“I always had the belief that I was and knew that once I got my chance I would take it with both hands.

“Last year was really tough with injuries… I’m just looking forward to the opportunity.”

Axe Man
19-03-2020, 12:23 PM
Naughton to play Round 1 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/578245/naughton-to-play-round-1?fbclid=IwAR30LywozUawxJTnKhD_AvOpvk5LGuZ3-qOXgaVPcQ8KseuBTmXDW-BJMTQ)

Western Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge has confirmed Aaron Naughton, Josh Bruce and Alex Keath will play in Friday night's season opener.

Western Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge has confirmed Aaron Naughton will play in Friday night’s Round 1 clash against Collingwood.

Beveridge said Naughton, who underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last month, has passed his rehabilitation with “flying colours”.

“We’ll name a side this afternoon, but Aaron is in our 22,” Beveridge said at a press conference on Thursday morning.

“He’s really important (to our team), not just for now, but as time goes by we hope he’ll keep getting better and better.

“We were a little uncertain as to whether or not he’d front up – he had that surgery at the end of last year, and then recently a bit of a clean-up – but after about a week he seemed fine.

“He’s come through with flying colours and will take his spot in the team on Friday night.”

Beveridge revealed there was no pressure put on the 20-year-old to play, considering he was sidelined for both Marsh Community Series matches.

“I said to him at the end of last week, ‘There’s no pressure to play – if you’re not feeling 100%, let’s push it back’,” Beveridge said.

“He got through all his training with no impediment – so he’s in a good state of mind, and really enthusiastic.”

The head coach also confirmed off-season recruits Alex Keath and Josh Bruce will take to the field on Friday night.

“It’s exciting for us and our supporters, to see the difference (Keath and Bruce) may make,” Beveridge said.

“I think in our key-position areas, we’ve got a little bit more depth, and our team will present out on the park differently than it has the last couple of years.”

The Bulldogs will announce their starting 22 on Thursday night.

Twodogs
19-03-2020, 01:37 PM
Cavarra gets his chance (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/578281/cavarra-gets-his-chance)

Ben Cavarra will make his AFL debut on Friday night against Collingwood.

Mature-age forward Ben Cavarra will make his AFL debut on Friday night.

Cavarra will run out in red, white and blue for the first time when the Western Bulldogs host Collingwood at Marvel Stadium.

It’s been a long journey for the 24-year-old, after missing out on multiple drafts before joining the Bulldogs with pick 45 in 2018.

Former Bulldogs star and now VFL senior coach Daniel Giansiracusa presented Cavarra with his jumper in a team meeting on Thursday morning.

“It’s been an interesting journey, overlooked a couple of times in drafts and things like that,” Giansiracusa said in the team meeting.

“We’ve known him for just over 12 months – he was in a hurry when he got here.

“He’s a hungry little goal sneak and his body probably failed him a little bit last year, but he continued to grow and learn from those experiences.

“He continues to knock down the coaches’ door about trying to get better.”

Cavarra had more than his fair share of injuries in his first year as a Bulldog, managing just 12 VFL games around quad, hamstring, rib and shoulder injuries.

But he’s now ready to make the most of his opportunity after a strong pre-season.

“It’s been a really long journey for me,” Cavarra told his teammates.

“Overlooked six times, constantly told I’m not good enough and that sort of stuff.

“I always had the belief that I was and knew that once I got my chance I would take it with both hands.

“Last year was really tough with injuries… I’m just looking forward to the opportunity.”

Can I just be the first to say "Yayyyyyy!!!!" and good luck to Ben. This may just be the most awaited and talked about debut since Brad Hardie in 1985.

comrade
19-03-2020, 01:41 PM
A genuine speedy goal sneak along with some genuine key talls. Is this a real Bulldogs forward line?

The Bulldogs Bite
19-03-2020, 01:43 PM
Didn't see that coming?

Cav didn't play either Marsh game and yet now debuts? I wonder if it means Schache won't play.

Mantis
19-03-2020, 01:43 PM
Bevo pulls one from left field with the Cavarra selection, but given the poor defensive efforts our mid/small forwards put on in our practice game vs Port it's certainly a needs based call.

As he mentioned its a shame his family can't be with him to watch him debut, but I hope he has a ripper game all the same!

Rocket Science
19-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Self-quoting is the height of narcissism but I'm going to do it anyway.

I wonder in what universe Cavarra is considered even faintly likely to play in round one before I remind myself it's Bevo's universe, we just live in it.

Bevo sure loves him a selection smoky.

comrade
19-03-2020, 02:37 PM

Bevo's universe confirmed.

bornadog
19-03-2020, 02:41 PM

Brilliantly picked

The Underdog
19-03-2020, 04:02 PM

I can’t wait to see who’s left out to make us all angry

Remi Moses
19-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Great story
Rejected 6 times !
Us by 10 pts

josie
19-03-2020, 04:39 PM
I have watching Cavarra at vfl and am a big fan, so excited with his debut. Go Benny, Benny, Benny, Benny and the Jets!

Mofra
19-03-2020, 04:47 PM
You just know Cav will be going at 100% the entire time he's on the ground.

Axe Man
19-03-2020, 04:56 PM
If Cavarra kicks a bag on Friday night imagine the headlines:

Cavarra virus infects the Pies
Cavarra outbreak at Marvel Stadium
Pies left with Buckley's chance of containing Cavarra
Pies into quarantine after Cavarra exposure

They practically write themselves!

Too soon?

Axe Man
19-03-2020, 05:36 PM
Lipinski out after concussion symptoms from the Port game.:(

josie
19-03-2020, 06:01 PM
If Cavarra kicks a bag on Friday night imagine the headlines:

Cavarra virus infects the Pies
Cavarra outbreak at Marvel Stadium
Pies left with Buckley's chance of containing Cavarra
Pies into quarantine after Cavarra exposure

They practically write themselves!

Too soon?

Gold Standard !!

Rocket Science
19-03-2020, 06:22 PM

This is an OUTRAGE!

bornadog
19-03-2020, 06:48 PM

Not good for the young bloke

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-03-2020, 07:29 PM
Western Bulldogs v Collingwood
Friday 20 March, 7.50pm AEDT
Marvel Stadium

B: Alex Keath, Zaine Cordy, Easton Wood
HB: Hayden Crozier, Jason Johannisen, Caleb Daniel
C: Bailey Smith, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter
HF: Bailey Dale, Josh Bruce, Matt Suckling
F: Mitch Wallis, Aaron Naughton, Sam Lloyd
Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Jack Macrae
Int: Lewis Young, Ben Cavarra, Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner
Emer: Josh Schache, Toby McLean, Ed Richards, Jordon Sweet

Sedat
19-03-2020, 07:30 PM
Ryan Gardner a surprise inclusion to put it mildly

Remi Moses
19-03-2020, 07:36 PM
Gardner , I’m not sure
Players have to perform as there’s some depth there

ratsmac
19-03-2020, 07:37 PM
Gardiner really? Bevo is at it again. Hope it works out i really do.

Dogs by 26
First goal Naughton
BOG Captain The Bont

bulldogtragic

So he’s got the photos of Bevo from Roarke Smith.

Vred

Gardner over literally anyone is a surprise to be honest...

bornadog
19-03-2020, 07:42 PM
Gardner over literally anyone is a surprise to be honest...
FMD, prefer Shaq

comrade
19-03-2020, 07:43 PM
Gardner must be playing as defensive cover, he’s one of the most inept forwards I’ve seen.

HOSE B ROMERO
19-03-2020, 07:45 PM
dogs by 3

bog Dunks

1st goal: Cav to kick the first Sav

bornadog
19-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Gardner must be playing as defensive cover, he’s one of the most inept forwards I’ve seen.
I don’t get it, to me he is a b grade VFL player.

Toby out as is Richards

Mantis
19-03-2020, 07:46 PM
2 x 6’6” guys on the bench is a strange, strange move.

Much prefer Richards in over one of them.

azabob
19-03-2020, 07:49 PM
Will it be Gardner or Young for ruck support?

I’m still concerned no Trengove at all.

I see it as Young ahead of Schache and Gardiner ahead of Trengove.

kruder
19-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Young to play second ruck/ forward to help out Timmy and Ryan to help out on Cox because they have kinda lost faith in Cordy?

Its interesting if we just played Trengove at Fullback and left Cordy and Gardner out we could play Richards agree.

I just hope we don't bomb it with all this tall timber.

Mofra
19-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Will it be Gardner or Young for ruck support?

I’m still concerned no Trengove at all.

I see it as Young ahead of Schache and Gardiner ahead of Trengove.
Ditto. Collingwood to sit really hard on JJ as we've gone tall which means not much run off the bench.

Sedat
19-03-2020, 07:55 PM
Trengove's stocks have fallen further than Qantas.

jeemak
19-03-2020, 08:00 PM

It's probably who's in this week!

kruder
19-03-2020, 08:10 PM
Expecting a big game from Easton Wood in this.

He has to be an attacking weapon if we are playing Keith,Cordy and Gardner he gets his chance to shine, we need him to be going for his marks and not going the punch back into the corridor.

comrade
19-03-2020, 08:24 PM
Why do we need ruck cover? English will be able to run out a shortened game.

The Underdog
19-03-2020, 09:49 PM
It's probably who's in this week!

Yeah, that team balance is bizarre, especially when you look at the Collingwood line up

josie
19-03-2020, 09:56 PM
Will Bevo pull a late change? Cordy or Gardner for Richards or Maclean?

The Underdog
19-03-2020, 10:00 PM
Will Bevo pull a late change? Cordy or Gardner for Richards or Maclean?

We can only hope.
If Toby can’t get a gig with Lipinski out, he’s in some trouble.

hujsh
19-03-2020, 11:03 PM
I thought Young had Shache's spot due to being able to play back or ruck better then saw Gardner...

God damn it Bevo. You just had to blow it up you maniac

mjp
19-03-2020, 11:16 PM
Why do we need ruck cover? English will be able to run out a shortened game.

What if he gets injured??? In the first 10 minutes?

You've gotta have a plan. Naughton = NO. And after the Marsh series, Bruce and Keath = NO. I guess it's Young, but is that really his go? I think we are a bit tall, but with Naughton coming back from injury and maybe on limited minutes and some concerns about ruck support, I am not surprised with the selection of Gardner. I mean, when it comes to backup ruck someone has to do it.

I actually don't get the disdain in which everyone holds Gardner. He was a mid-season elevation which is about as working class as it gets in terms of AFL footballers. We seem to be celebrating the selection of Cavarra (who has done it the 'hard way') yet annoyed with the selection of someone who did it EQUALLY hard but has played maybe 5 games? Let's support him. Giving him games is called development and we need him to develop. If not now, then when??? It isn't like we don't need a tall who can play as a defensive stopper because the other defenders battle to do it.

Happy Days
20-03-2020, 01:26 AM
McLean is better than Gardner. So is Richards. I'd even back them both to be more effective in the ruck.

I know the season is in question but I'd still like to win the game.

GVGjr
20-03-2020, 04:12 AM
Suckling to the forward line is another interesting selection. The indications were he would be a back man or maybe on a wing this year
I suspect Young will be the 3rd tall forward and support ruck man instead of Schache. Schache might have a fair bit of work to do to get back in the side quickly

Cavarra did not play in one of the Marsh cup games and Gardner played a half of one game but come straight into the side.
Neither were prominent in the practice game either but obviously fit some needs

I think it's fair to say we have continued with our trend of unconventional selection process early in the season

The Underdog
20-03-2020, 08:23 AM
What if he gets injured??? In the first 10 minutes?

You've gotta have a plan. Naughton = NO. And after the Marsh series, Bruce and Keath = NO. I guess it's Young, but is that really his go? I think we are a bit tall, but with Naughton coming back from injury and maybe on limited minutes and some concerns about ruck support, I am not surprised with the selection of Gardner. I mean, when it comes to backup ruck someone has to do it.

I actually don't get the disdain in which everyone holds Gardner. He was a mid-season elevation which is about as working class as it gets in terms of AFL footballers. We seem to be celebrating the selection of Cavarra (who has done it the 'hard way') yet annoyed with the selection of someone who did it EQUALLY hard but has played maybe 5 games? Let's support him. Giving him games is called development and we need him to develop. If not now, then when??? It isn't like we don't need a tall who can play as a defensive stopper because the other defenders battle to do it.

I guess it’s confusing in the sense that a match committee that has stoutly insisted on playing in general one tall too few, now seems insistent on playing at least one tall too many. I get that he might be in there as a Mason Cox matchup/ backup ruck, but if that’s the case then what is the point of Cordy (a longer question, I’m sure). I know there’s queries on Cordy’s one on one ability, but if he can’t be that guy, why is he there? And if he is there, why do we compound that with another guy who possibly can’t do that job either. I get your arguments but it seems a strange time to start choosing less talented tallls over more talented runners (looking at you Ed Richards). Maybe they figure with shortened game time, they can go taller, but it’s a weird moment for a change in philosophy.
Would they have picked the same team balance if Lipinski was available?

comrade
20-03-2020, 08:43 AM
I hate match committee decisions based on 'what ifs'. What if we don't lose a ruckman, but lose a runner?

SonofScray
20-03-2020, 09:16 AM
Time will tell, but I'm not keen on the match committee selections here. It's in line with some of the bat shit crazy stuff Bevo was doing in recent history that had us all at sea, bobbing up and down like this.

Bulldog4life
20-03-2020, 09:57 AM
Two things. Bevo is not alone on the MC so it is a MC decision not just his. Secondly Gardner has been training with the backline all summer so he will not be back up ruck you would think. I have previously thought we needed an extra tall in the back so that selection is ok. Young has done ok in the ruck in the past and he is the best shot to give Tim relief.

Mantis
20-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Two things. Bevo is not alone on the MC so it is a MC decision not just his. Secondly Gardner has been training with the backline all summer so he will not be back up ruck you would think. I have previously thought we needed an extra tall in the back so that selection is ok. Young has done ok in the ruck in the past and he is the best shot to give Tim relief.

But the question is do we need an extra tall defender against Collingwood?

Axe Man
20-03-2020, 10:11 AM

Nope. Especially when we have Naughton at the other end that can go back in an emergency.

bornadog
20-03-2020, 10:12 AM
My concern is seeing Cordy up against Cox like round 4 last year and conceding almost 20cm, plus his reach

Mantis
20-03-2020, 10:22 AM
My concern is seeing Cordy up against Cox like round 4 last year and conceding almost 20cm, plus his reach

Wouldn't Keath be the obvious match-up for Cox? We also have Young who can assist if Cox is out of control.

And Cox is 210cm so everyone on our list will be giving away size.

bornadog
20-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Wouldn't Keath be the obvious match-up for Cox? We also have Young who can assist if Cox is out of control.

And Cox is 210cm so everyone on our list will be giving away size.

I prefer Young and Keath in the backline. I think Cordy and Gardner is overkill and yes Cox is taller than anyone, but Cordy is the shortest of the talls and has been beaten in the air many times.

Mofra
20-03-2020, 10:45 AM
I prefer Young and Keath in the backline. I think Cordy and Gardner is overkill and yes Cox is taller than anyone, but Cordy is the shortest of the talls and has been beaten in the air many times.
I'd imagine we'd prefer a Wood on de Goey and Cordy on Mihochek, similar height. Stephenson out helps us immensely, he's the type that hurts us.

Gardiner just has to go to Cox. We selected him, and he's a "follow my man" lockdown defender. If he's in the team, back him in to do a job. He plays front (not back/shoulder) and just stops Cox from running at the ball. That's his role, keep it simple and he can help the team.
If we can release Keath to play an intercepting role (the role he is best at) and he takes a bunch of intercept marks during the game I imagine Bubba as backline coach would be rapt.

I suspect Young will play ruck/forward like he did in the Marsh series (and in the Willy VFL game last year where he was very good - yes he has done it at VFL level too). We just can't let Howe jump in front of Bruce/Naughton - they're both top 5 contested marks in the comp so isolate them and let them do their thing. Young can try and drag him away form the contest.

Big call - but Noble goes to Lloyd and beats him convincingly, the guy can tackle and can play a classic lockdown small defenders role and given the "generate run from the backline" mantra those types aren't as common in the AFL as they perhaps should be. We only have one of those on our list and he's injured right now (Duryea). That means Wally has to step up as that shortish leading option who can gather the ball off the deck. Cav concentrates on getting front of the pack in the event we have a slow F50 entry.

comrade
20-03-2020, 10:51 AM
I'd imagine we'd prefer a Wood on de Goey and Cordy on Mihochek, similar height. Stephenson out helps us immensely, he's the type that hurts us.

Gardiner just has to go to Cox. We selected him, and he's a "follow my man" lockdown defender. If he's in the team, back him in to do a job. He plays front (not back/shoulder) and just stops Cox from running at the ball. That's his role, keep it simple and he can help the team.
If we can release Keath to play an intercepting role (the role he is best at) and he takes a bunch of intercept marks during the game I imagine Bubba as backline coach would be rapt.

I suspect Young will play ruck/forward like he did in the Marsh series (and in the Willy VFL game last year where he was very good - yes he has done it at VFL level too). We just can't let Howe jump in front of Bruce/Naughton - they're both top 5 contested marks in the comp so isolate them and let them do their thing. Young can try and drag him away form the contest.

Big call - but Noble goes to Lloyd and beats him convincingly, the guy can tackle and can play a classic lockdown small defenders role and given the "generate run from the backline" mantra those types aren't as common in the AFL as they perhaps should be. We only have one of those on our list and he's injured right now (Duryea). That means Wally has to step up as that shortish leading option who can gather the ball off the deck. Cav concentrates on getting front of the pack in the event we have a slow F50 entry.

Nice summary, makes sense.

How are you feeling about our chances tonight?

Bulldog4life
20-03-2020, 10:56 AM

That is the question that will be answered tonight. None of us know for sure at the stage.

Mofra
20-03-2020, 11:00 AM
Nice summary, makes sense.

How are you feeling about our chances tonight?
If they were 20 minute quarters, very apprehensive.

I still have concerns about where our run comes from around the ground but am confident we win the midfield battle with Treloar out. Would have preferred an extra runner on the bench, hopefully Suckling plays utility. I would have preferred a genuine wingman in the team along with Hunter.

I think we win and win ugly.

dog town
20-03-2020, 11:51 AM
If in doubt go smaller is always my policy. One tall too many in my view. We need help for English but we don’t need 3 talls at each end.

Axe Man
20-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Do we know if the roof can be shut yet with the indoor gathering restrictions? According to the BOM there is a 30% chance of a small amount of rain tonight. If there is any moisture playing so many talls would be foolish.

chef
20-03-2020, 12:08 PM
I can't even get excited about the game, I'll watch and hope we win but just can't get into it with whats about to happen.

comrade
20-03-2020, 12:21 PM
I can't even get excited about the game, I'll watch and hope we win but just can't get into it with whats about to happen.

Definitely feel you there, hoping the switch gets flicked once the ball is bounced. It all feels kind of futile.

chef
20-03-2020, 12:34 PM
Definitely feel you there, hoping the switch gets flicked once the ball is bounced. It all feels kind of futile.

Is it weird I don't care if we win, I just don't want any of our players to get sick from tonight?

Playing contact sport while trying to contain a virus that gets spread from bodily fluids and contact seems a bit strange.

bornadog
20-03-2020, 12:57 PM
If in doubt go smaller is always my policy. One tall too many in my view. We need help for English but we don’t need 3 talls at each end.

I doubt they will all be on the ground at the same time

mjp
20-03-2020, 01:46 PM
Is it weird I don't care if we win, I just don't want any of our players to get sick from tonight?

Playing contact sport while trying to contain a virus that gets spread from bodily fluids and contact seems a bit strange.

That's fair enough I guess. All I can suggest you do is take solace from the raw numbers which show Australia having 565 cases - and 6-deaths - from COVID 19. Yes, there will have been a (potentially high) number of unreported cases, but the death rate we are seeing is in the '0.05-0.05'% range so our detection levels might be not too bad.

I can't speak for Melbourne, but in Perth kids are still going to school (not to mention the shops), trains are still running etc...to a large extent 'normal' life is happening all around us.

I am sure at some point one of the players will be infected, but would suggest that right now the risk is very low.

comrade
20-03-2020, 02:01 PM
That's fair enough I guess. All I can suggest you do is take solace from the raw numbers which show Australia having 565 cases - and 6-deaths - from COVID 19. Yes, there will have been a (potentially high) number of unreported cases, but the death rate we are seeing is in the '0.05-0.05'% range so our detection levels might be not too bad.

I can't speak for Melbourne, but in Perth kids are still going to school (not to mention the shops), trains are still running etc...to a large extent 'normal' life is happening all around us.

I am sure at some point one of the players will be infected, but would suggest that right now the risk is very low.

We're approximately 2-3 weeks behind the US and that country is in total shut down mode.

Normal life has about 1-2 weeks left at most here.

kruder
20-03-2020, 02:12 PM

The reason why its only 565 is because of the restrictions. I can see it already if the government do a good job flattering the curve, just watch social and talk back radio etc come at them stating low cases/deaths etc calling it all bullshit.

bornadog
20-03-2020, 02:15 PM
We're approximately 2-3 weeks behind the US and that country is in total shut down mode.

Normal life has about 1-2 weeks left at most here.

I don't think you can compare us to the USA. they have been complacent from the start.

The reason why its only 565 is because of the restrictions. I can see it already if the government do a good job flattering the curve, just watch social and talk back radio etc come at them stating low cases/deaths etc calling it all bullshit.

We had a jump of 160 to now be on 765. We should have been tougher a few weeks ago, especially with our borders.

comrade
20-03-2020, 02:15 PM

It's more likely due to lack of testing. There is no way with our blase attitude to isolating/self quarantine that only 565 Australians have the virus.

comrade
20-03-2020, 02:16 PM
I don't think you can compare us to the USA. they have been complacent from the start.

And we haven't been?

bornadog
20-03-2020, 02:18 PM
And we haven't been?

True, but at least we cut off returning Chinese after their CNY visits. Most of our issues have been people coming from USA visits

chef
20-03-2020, 02:22 PM

Normal life finished last week imo.

comrade
20-03-2020, 02:25 PM
True, but at least we cut off returning Chinese after their CNY visits. Most of our issues have been people coming from USA visits

Thousands of Chinese students landed in Australia just last week.

Public transport is still running en masse.

Positive cases will sky rocket in Australia before we know it.

hujsh
20-03-2020, 02:26 PM
Doesn't feel normal working from home and seeing Woolworths with empty shelves. Though from the Bushfires onwards this has been a strange year

comrade
20-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Normal life finished last week imo.

When people are brawling in supermarkets over a trolley of TP and the elderly are forced to go shopping at 7am just to buy milk and bread, businesses are laying off staff all over the place, huge organisations are closing...normal life is over.

bornadog
20-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Thousands of Chinese students landed in Australia just last week.

Public transport is still running en masse.

Positive cases will sky rocket in Australia before we know it.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Government hasn't been tough enough.

All I was saying was the USA was worse than us.

PS: Those Chines students have been isolating for 14 days before they got here.

bornadog
20-03-2020, 02:31 PM
Back to footy - roof will be open tonight

chef
20-03-2020, 02:59 PM

They don't have a choice do they?

Shut the roof and you can only have 100 there.

GVGjr
20-03-2020, 04:10 PM
Haven't we already got a corona virus thread?

Can we please try and stick to discussing tonight's game and not what the US is doing or move those discussions to the appropriate thread

Thanks

Bulldog Revolution
20-03-2020, 04:26 PM
Im excited to see what we dish up tonight - it will be intriguing to see and hear us - it was different last night with no crowd but its still bloody exciting to see what we dish up - Ive bought some expensive beer to mark the occasion.

It does look a top heavy team on paper - but I'll reserve judgment until we see how it performs. I am glad to see Lewis Young in the team as Id say he's had a pretty solid summer and pre season. I hope his confidence and contribution will grow over the season.

Shame Patty Lipinski is unavailable - hes been such a consistent performer early stages and is good with the ball in hand. Im a fan.

Richards and McLean are a little unlucky but have had their fitness and form issues - but I do think both are in the 22 at their best.

Delighted with what Ive seen from Bailey Williams pre season - has been very good and really adds to the backline mix.

And in my time following the dogs we havent had too many key forwards as exciting as Naughton, nor as accomplished as Bruce - so thats tantalising

kruder
20-03-2020, 04:38 PM

We had a jump of 160 to now be on 765. We should have been tougher a few weeks ago, especially with our borders.

yeah agree....

Axe Man
20-03-2020, 04:40 PM

I hope we keep an eye on the weather and drop a tall if it's going to be wet.

Axe Man
20-03-2020, 04:51 PM
Gavin Brown and family have been allowed to attend tonight to watch Tyler debut - I hope Cavarra's family have been extended the same opportunity, according to this they should:

The League has set strict guidelines on who is able to attend the games in the wake of the pandemic, with the AFL confirming media, officials, each club's chairperson, chief executive and immediate family of debutants will be allowed to enter the closed games.

bornadog
20-03-2020, 05:09 PM
I hope we keep an eye on the weather and drop a tall if it's going to be wet.

No chance of rain

Axe Man
20-03-2020, 05:13 PM
No chance of rain

Thanks Jane Bunn, but the BOM don't agree with you.

https://i.postimg.cc/SKG3p24k/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

The app also tells me a 20% chance between 8pm and 11pm. A small chance and probably nothing significant, but not "no chance".

bornadog
20-03-2020, 05:54 PM
Thanks Jane Bunn, but the BOM don't agree with you.

https://i.postimg.cc/SKG3p24k/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

The app also tells me a 20% chance between 8pm and 11pm. A small chance and probably nothing significant, but not "no chance".

http://www.janebunn.net/melbourne :D

G-Mo77
20-03-2020, 08:39 PM
Gosh this is depressing. :(

Mantis
20-03-2020, 08:48 PM
Feels like we’re about to play a game in a library.. oh well, it is what it is.

#godogs

Eastdog
20-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Bulldog jumper and scarf on. Hard watching but I’m watching. Go Dogs!

Mofra
20-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Macrae not starting in the centre. Interesting

ratsmac
20-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Not a great start. Can't get out hands on the ball

Eastdog
Poor start.

jeemak
Collingwood more sure with their touch.

Hunter has frustrated me for the first time this year by missing Bruce, that was weak from English.

Mantis
20-03-2020, 08:59 PM
They’re all over us with their pressure and our skills aren’t sharp.

jeemak
20-03-2020, 09:00 PM
Well it looks like the Pies don't need the crowd to get the benefit of dodgy umpiring decisions.

The Underdog
Worst free kick in football history?

chef
Danger signs already

Sedat
Grundy well on his way to 9 Brownlow votes in 3 games against us.

bulldogtragic
20-03-2020, 09:01 PM
Cancel the season already.

Mantis
20-03-2020, 09:01 PM
Worst free kick in football history?

He grabbed his arm.. just dumb by Hunter.

ratsmac
20-03-2020, 09:03 PM
Umpires killing us

The Bulldogs Bite
20-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Pretty pathetic footy to be honest

bulldogtragic
Umpires killing us

Hunter is killing us.

chef
Nearly over already

Eastdog
Terrible start to 2020!

Mantis
Umpires killing us

Which ones haven’t been there?

We’re jumping at shadows!

GVGjr
Scrappy and unappealing footy at the moment and Grundy is having his way with us plus their forward line looks dangerous

The Underdog
He grabbed his arm.. just dumb by Hunter.

Did he though?

We’re not playing in this game at all.

AndrewP6
Pathetic.

Eastdog
20-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Wally gets our first goal of 2020.

Sedat
20-03-2020, 09:07 PM
Poor start Bont. Looks a step off the pace

azabob
20-03-2020, 09:08 PM
Wood has started well.

Mantis
20-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Lucky Mitch can kick for goal well.

The Underdog
20-03-2020, 09:13 PM
Glad we brought Gardner in to play on Jamie Elliot.

jeemak
Weak as piss Bulldogs, weak as piss.

So bloody weak. Wake up, you're ruining my social distancing experience.

bulldogtragic
Weakest goal in afel history.

AndrewP6
This is horrific.

kruder
Cordy kicking out? ahhhh why?

The Bulldogs Bite
Feels like the GWS final all over

Sedat
Our mids being taught a lesson in work rate

chef
20-03-2020, 09:14 PM
Pissweak tackle from English

ratsmac
How bad is our start. Have not come to play. Collingwood have.

Mantis
Any chance we can stick a tackle?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Boy. Qtr time can't come quick enough. Whatever our plans were, they are not working.
Players, especially our mids and defenders need a big spray.

Grantysghost
20-03-2020, 09:15 PM
Lucky to be this close. Haven't turned up.

bulldogtragic
20-03-2020, 09:16 PM
16 minute quarters are great.

jeemak
20-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Glad we brought Gardner in to play on Jamie Elliot.

I'm pretty sure he's not our issue right now. The midfielders deciding to prepare by having a bump of ketamine before the game probably is.

The Underdog
God, that was *!*!*!*!ing disgraceful.

comrade
Nice to see we’re complying with the 1.5m exclusion zone.

GVGjr
Any chance we can stick a tackle?

It's really evident so far that we aren't putting a lot of effort into the tackling

ratsmac
20-03-2020, 09:18 PM
Thank you siren

Vred
What preseason? We’re getting completely destroyed.

The Bulldogs Bite
It's really evident so far that we aren't putting a lot of effort into the tackling

Could have stopped after writing effort.

We've been disgusting.

comrade
If Zaine Cordy isn’t the worst defender getting a regular game in the AFL, he must be damn close.

The Underdog
I'm pretty sure he's not our issue right now. The midfielders deciding to prepare by having a bump of ketamine before the game probably is.

I didn’t say he was our issue, just seems a questionable choice. The fact we only have one decent player on the ground is an issue. Easton Wood leading the B & F by all the votes.

Sedat
English is a massive problem. It all starts at the source and he is clearly spooked by Grundy. That awful missed tackle is a player completely devoid of confidence againat this opposition.

ratsmac
20-03-2020, 09:19 PM
We look spooked. Time to regroup and start playing footy

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Cordy kicking out? ahhhh why?

And it was only he or Gardner who were the options!
Our defense is not switched on at all.
And our mids aren't either.
Forwards haven't had a chance!

GVGjr
Lucky to be this close. Haven't turned up.

We haven't been great starters so we need to get a wriggle on in the 2nd quarter

Jeanette54
20-03-2020, 09:20 PM
Kill me now, I couldn't stand another 67 quarters of that Bullsh*#t effort this season.

comrade
Both Bruce and Naughton have both been out-marked in a contest. Not good enough.

kruder
And it was only he or Gardner who were the options!
Our defense is not switched on at all.
And our mids aren't either.
Forwards haven't had a chance!

He was kicking out in the preseason I just dont get it

Mofra
Hunter is killing us.
He kept is in it. One of the few players who actually got a touch.

Gardner has shown a bit. Might just develop into a no frills lockdown defender yet.

Grantysghost
Positives, Keath and Wood both looked good. Negatives midfield, their talls dominance, struggling with their keeping off.

Happy Days
20-03-2020, 09:21 PM
Well that sucked.

Have we put 5 possessions together?

Happy Days
20-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Wood looks excellent. I'll let you all know how Dunkley looks the first time I see him.

soupman
20-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Hunter has three bad errors but also is working hard and actually getting the footy. Complete lack of attack on the ball apart from Smith thus far. Our intensity is like a preseason game.

Gardner has been alright, as has Wood.

Need to get the ball and possess it a little. Had more than 3 consecutive touches maybe twice thatquarter

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-03-2020, 09:23 PM
Can we get 22 Corona virus tests to Marvel. I think our guys might've all contracted it.

Happy Days
Can we get 22 Corona virus tests to Marvel. I think our guys might've all contracted it.

Don't you have to touch someone to catch it?

jeemak
Good quarter from Easton, aside from one poor kick followed by a poor tackle.

Our midfield is just not doing enough defencively, and fluffing lines when they get it. We just got completely smashed in territory because of this.

jeemak
20-03-2020, 09:24 PM
I didn’t say he was our issue, just seems a questionable choice. The fact we only have one decent player on the ground is an issue. Easton Wood leading the B & F by all the votes.

Not sure why that's the first thing that comes to mind though. So many other obvious issues.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-03-2020, 09:25 PM
Wow. Grundy owns Timmy.

jeemak
20-03-2020, 09:25 PM
Sucking that was pathetic and completely unnecessary and it's cost us territory and almost a goal. Get your shit together Bulldogs.

kruder
20-03-2020, 09:26 PM
The Bonts hands have been so poor.. Cant believe im saying that its been a strange year so far

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Cordy again with the kick out. It is by design???

Mantis
He kept is in it. One of the few players who actually got a touch.

Gardner has shown a bit. Might just develop into a no frills lockdown defender yet.

To be fair.. He gave it straight back to them. He was disgusting.

Sedat
Bont shithouse so far

Sedat
20-03-2020, 09:28 PM
Gee that's an ordinary free. That's the classic Ben Brown looking unco free.

bulldogtragic
Who reads their own headlines?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Wow. So setting the bar real low for a push in the back.

Happy Days
20-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Bont shithouse so far

You reckon? He's been easily our best player for me.

ledge
This is pathetic, have we actually had any of the ball ?
We have gone forward once in over a qtr .
What is it with us and tall useless forward beating us ., Majal Daw abs this Cox only play well against us.
Tell you what free kicks will be 20 to 1 at this rate.

jeemak
Reckon our midfield group have been having one big circle jerk during the preseason if this performance is anything to go by.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-03-2020, 09:30 PM
Bont, Macrae and Dunkley worst on ground. No wonder we're getting hammered.

Mantis
Bont shithouse so far

He’s comfortably the worst player on the ground right now... even counting English.

Happy Days
Fair play Collingwood look amazing.

AndrewP6
Did our preseason planning involve any preparation to play against actual opponents? I’m close to turning this garbage off.

jeemak
Not sure why that's the first thing that comes to mind though. So many other obvious issues.

Now you can let rip!

bulldogtragic
FFS Gardner.

chef
Hahahahahaha wtf

Mofra
This is now officially embarrassing

The Underdog
20-03-2020, 09:31 PM

Because I was looking at it at the time I typed. Sorry I’ll do a list of crap stuff in order of importance next time

chef
Why the *!*!*!*! is Cordy kicking out?

Happy Days
I never want to see Gardner again. In a Dogs jumper, in real life, ever.

Sedat
Gardner will cop it because he is an easy target. But he's got 20 mates (Bailey Smith honorable exception)

DOG GOD
I didn’t believe the hype, and this is why....shades of post 2016

Mantis
20-03-2020, 09:32 PM
Can we *!*!*!*!ing stop Cordy kicking it out?

If Daniel is supposedly our QB let him do it as he struggles to win it himself.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Oh boy. This just gets worse by the second.
Gardner pitiful.

chef
Playing like we dont want to be out there.

AndrewP6
You reckon? He's been easily our best player for me.

:D:D :D Thanks for the laugh.

Rocket Science
Pretty happy for the AFEL to cancel the season right now.

Eastdog
No pressure from us at all. Our defence is under siege.

AndrewP6
I didn’t believe the hype, and this is why....shades of post 2016

Shades of 2012-13

kruder
20-03-2020, 09:33 PM
They need to get JJ and suckling off half back its crazy no drive at all

bulldogtragic
Why the *!*!*!*! is Cordy kicking out?

Because Collingwood keep missing easy shots.

Happy Days
Gardner will cop it because he is an easy target. But he's got 20 mates (Bailey Smith honorable exception)

He literally kicked it 20m backwards across goal to the other team 35m out from goal. He deserves it.

Mofra
20-03-2020, 09:34 PM
Our pressure on the ball carrier is well below where it was last year.

ledge
Are we actually going to go in our forward 50 ?

chef
Train wreck.

angelopetraglia
20-03-2020, 09:35 PM
Cancel the season

comrade
This is hilariously bad.

Mantis
They need to get JJ and suckling off half back its crazy no drive at all

You don’t think Wood, Cordy & Gardner will give us enough drive? LMFAO!!

DOG GOD
The AFL said the “majority” of players wanted to play...what they didn’t say was the WB didn’t want to

Mofra
He literally kicked it 20m backwards across goal to the other team 35m out from goal. He deserves it.
The kick to him was poor too start with, shouldn't have been in that position

Sedat
My word he does, it was awful. As awful as a hundred other efforts by better credentialed players

Vred
See you guys in 2021

Happy Days
Personally I'm disgusted they're playing through the pandemic. They need to stop the game immediately.

bulldogtragic
20-03-2020, 09:37 PM
1 shot at goal in one third of a game.

Feels like the end of 2018.

Mantis
We can get *!*!*!*!ed!!

G-Mo77
I've seen enough. Night all.

Mofra
Kicking to Daniel in a contest. Good that's stupid

The Bulldogs Bite
*!*!*!*! you dogs. This is a slap in the face

soupman
20-03-2020, 09:38 PM
Wtf is Llpyd kicking to Daniel 2 on 1 in the corridor for? Idiotic

ReLoad
Wow.

Insipid.

comrade
I honestly can’t understand what I’m seeing.

Mantis
We beg for more high exposure games and then deliver this type of performance... embarrassing!!

Sedat
20-03-2020, 09:39 PM
Josh Bruce in the ruck. A concession

Happy Days
20-03-2020, 09:39 PM
I honestly can’t understand what I’m seeing.

Same. It's like they aren't even there.

bulldogtragic
20-03-2020, 09:40 PM
We beg for more high exposure games and then deliver this type of performance... embarrassing!!

We told Ch7 they’d be high scoring games. This is currently true.

Mofra
20-03-2020, 09:41 PM
Bailey!

comrade
20-03-2020, 09:42 PM
I can accept losing. I can’t accept a lack of effort or care.

This has been the softest half of footy I’ve ever seen us play. Absolutely spooked.

soupman
20-03-2020, 09:42 PM
The kick to him was poor too start with, shouldn't have been in that position

Thats standard. If you cant execute the switch under little pressure thats not good enough. Shame because otherwise he has been ok

Mofra
20-03-2020, 09:44 PM
Cav!!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Good to see Cavarra's family there to see him kick a goal

Happy Days
This is better! We should kick more goals I reckon!

Eastdog
20-03-2020, 09:45 PM
Congrats Ben. First Bulldog AFL goal.

comrade
Cav with his first AFL goal. Most likely our best moment for the night.

Mofra
Thats standard. If you cant execute the switch under little pressure thats not good enough. Shame because otherwise he has been ok
I actually tought Gardner has a few good contests in the first quarter. Would be a tough gig as a backman right now

Mantis
20-03-2020, 09:46 PM
Finally a little bit of spirit & fight!

Eastdog
20-03-2020, 09:46 PM
We are coming!

bulldogtragic
20-03-2020, 09:48 PM
Our goals are coming from umpires, but they’re coming. Now the effort to stay up.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-03-2020, 09:49 PM
Pies aren't far enough in front. We will eat them.

chef
20-03-2020, 09:51 PM
Lloyd heard footsteps?

comrade
Lloyd heard footsteps?

Yep, embarrassing.

Happy Days
Lloyd heard footsteps?

That was poo sandwich from Lloyd.

Sedat
20-03-2020, 09:52 PM
Umm, good conversion so far

Mantis
A meek performance bar the last 5min when we actually had a dip.. we set up poorly and had no intensity around the contest, but it’s not a massive lead.

jeemak
Lloyd heard footsteps?

It looked like his main focus was somewhere other than the footy coming at him.

ratsmac
20-03-2020, 09:53 PM
I honestly believe we couldn't have played any worse so that's a positive.

We finally showed some intensity towards the end of that 2nd quarter at least.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
This is better! We should kick more goals I reckon!

Brilliant. I agree.😂

Eastdog
That was poo sandwich from Lloyd.

Yep thought he should have done better.

Mofra
Positives - Bailey Smith has learned to mark.
Cav's first goal.
This case of pinot I bought is excellent.

Negatives - pretty much everything else

The Underdog
A meek performance bar the last 5min when we actually had a dip.. we set up poorly and had no intensity around the contest, but it’s not a massive lead.

It is against this opposition

comrade
20-03-2020, 09:55 PM
Hunter and Macrae have just butchered us tonight.

Dale doing his usual disappearing act against good opposition.

Cordy one of the worst decision makers in the league is our designated kicker.

Bont having an absolute mare.

Bailey Smith/Williams our only bright spots at this point.