PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors, Rnd 1 2020 vs Collingwood

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-03-2020, 08:17 PM
This is the round 11, 2020 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against St. Kilda is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
20-03-2020, 10:58 PM
B

Wiliams. Thought he showed signs.
Suckling. Hit a few targets by foot. Nice attribute.
Smith. Brought the required effort most others didn't.

A

Effort and intensity.
Ability of small forwards to impact the game. The experienced Dale & Lloyd couldn't work into it.
Giving up piss easy goals all night.

The only way it gets worse is Coronavirus outbreak in the playing group.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-03-2020, 11:21 PM
Bankers.
Smith- fought it out.
I really can't think of anyone else

Anchors
Bont, Macrae, Dunkley - they're meant to be out strength. They are our brand. Inside.
Lloyd - head ducker,
English- blanked.

bornadog
20-03-2020, 11:36 PM
Bankers

* Cavarra - first kick and goal

* Keath

* Smith

Anchors

* Bont - 9 touches to half time and 6 in the second half, and none damaging

* MC - got this way wrong

The Bulldogs Bite
20-03-2020, 11:38 PM
Bankers:
- Bailey Smith tried.

- The final siren.

- The Deck looked nice.

Anchors:
- MC

- Midfield group

- English. I think he could paint a mural of Grundy, he spent all night looking at him

Eastdog
20-03-2020, 11:44 PM
B

Wiliams. Thought he showed signs.
Suckling. Hit a few targets by foot. Nice attribute.
Smith. Brought the required effort most others didn't.

A

Effort and intensity.
Ability of small forwards to impact the game. The experienced Dale & Lloyd couldn't work into it.
Giving up piss easy goals all night.

The only way it gets worse is Coronavirus outbreak in the playing group.

Ditto

SonofScray
21-03-2020, 12:05 AM
B

Crozier in the first 10 minutes.
Smith generally

A
Everyone else.
Effort. Organisation. Instruction. Execution.

Danjul
21-03-2020, 12:09 AM
Anchors:
- MC

- English. I think he could paint a mural of Grundy, he spent all night looking at him

After what happened twice last year shouldn’t the MC have come up with a new plan?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-03-2020, 12:15 AM
After what happened twice last year shouldn’t the MC have come up with a new plan?

I agreee!

I wonder whether the club was seduced by his club pre-season where they said Timmy had a blinder, influence their decision making?
It almost seemed as if we were set up as if English was going to dominate.
And when that didn't happen we were unable to respond, due to the match selections.
Would Gardner have played if we thought we were going to lose the centre clearance so decisively?

bulldogtragic
21-03-2020, 12:33 AM

“The blind cannot see
The arrogant will not”

Which one have we got?

westbulldog
21-03-2020, 12:37 AM
B
Keath
Smith
Crozier

A
Gardner, doesn't seem up to AFL standard.
Cordy, NAFBA
Dale, simply didn't turn up

bornadog
21-03-2020, 02:40 PM
I agreee!

I wonder whether the club was seduced by his club pre-season where they said Timmy had a blinder, influence their decision making?
It almost seemed as if we were set up as if English was going to dominate.
And when that didn't happen we were unable to respond, due to the match selections.
Would Gardner have played if we thought we were going to lose the centre clearance so decisively?

The trouble is, in the whole AFL, only maybe Gawn could beat Grundy who as 100 more games up his sleeve against a 22 year old ruckman

Sedat
21-03-2020, 02:59 PM
The trouble is, in the whole AFL, only maybe Gawn could beat Grundy who as 100 more games up his sleeve against a 22 year old ruckman
How many ruckmen in the comp could beat Mason Cox? He was made to look like Dean Cox last night.

bornadog
21-03-2020, 03:01 PM
How many ruckmen in the comp could beat Mason Cox? He was made to look like Dean Cox last night.

Cox had 7 hitouts ?????

Sedat
21-03-2020, 03:08 PM
Cox had 7 hitouts ?????
English was beaten in evert ruck and marking contest I saw last night against Cox.

We were forced to throw Bruce into the ruck at one point in the 2nd qtr because English was so completely non-competitive in there regardless of the Collingwood opponent.

Bulldog4life
21-03-2020, 06:52 PM
Cox had 7 hitouts ?????

English had 11. He must have got them against someone. Does anyone know which player it was?

merantau
21-03-2020, 08:02 PM
Bankers
Smith tried his guts out for 4 quarters

AND ....

Keath took a few grabs and used it pretty well
Suckling hit a few targets
It was very underwhelming to be honest

Anchors

Our midfield was putrid
Our tackling was putrid
Our failure to react, to "DO SOMETHING!!" was putrid.

bornadog
22-03-2020, 12:40 AM
English had 11. He must have got them against someone. Does anyone know which player it was?

It could only be against Grundy or Cox

ratsmac
22-03-2020, 02:42 PM
Bankers

1. Ditto Smith. Tried his guts out all night. Imagine when he doesn't have to shoulder the load what he could do.

2. Keathy. Our defense was under the pump all night from lack of midfield pressure and I thought Keath was as good as you would probably hope for in his first game for us.

3. Daniel. I thought he tried to get things going for us as best he could when nothing was going right. He missed a fair chunk of footy last year so it was a fair effort.

Anchors

1. Bontempelli. Your the captain now so play like one. I don't know if the moment got to him or what but it was certainly a game to forget. I can't remember Bont playing too many bad games in a row so he'll be right.

2. Tackling. Oh my god our tackling was terrible. No real intent to actually stick a tackle. Collingwood shrugged tackles with ease. We looked like a team that was playing a dead rubber because we couldn't make finals. IT'S ROUND FRICKEN 1.

3. MC. I am filthy with this. Why do they do this every year? They reward players with no exposed form. Gardener has not looked AFL standard in any game I have seen him play AFL or VFL. How does he get a game? Because he's tall maybe, good bloke, good trainer, who knows. I have no problem with persisting with him but develop him in the VFL until he smashes down the door for a game. No VFL comp, well he doesn't play simple. He has zero tickets in the bank to go on past form like Libba for example. The same goes for Cavarra but I do see the need to blood players for the sake of development. I still would of preferred McLean or Richards ahead of Cav. Anyway they certainly were not the reason we lost that game of footy. We lost because our most senior players didn't show up.