PDA

View Full Version : Robert Murphy - the enigma

GVGjr
26-02-2008, 11:13 AM
There is no doubt that Robert Murphy is an extremely talented player but injuries aside, in my opinion, he has failed to live up to his potential.

Its hard to find a physical flaw, yes he isn't huge but he has good speed and athleticism and is a real modern day player.
Its hard to find a technical flaw in his game, he marks above his height, his kicking skills can be very good and he is versatile.

And yet....Murphy hasn't delivered on his talents.

He seems to coast along, whetting the appetite of those that desperately want to see him have a real break out season but never quite delivering.
Perhaps its his decision making because whilst he does have the ability to make the impossible look easy he also possess the uncanny knack of screwing up what should otherwise be a certainty.

I want to see him succeed, I also want to see him hurt when he makes silly mistakes and in this area I don't think he does.

He is far fitter than the same time 12 months ago and if we ever need this guy to step up from being regarded by the fans as a talented player to being regarded by the same fans as a match winner then he needs to make that move now.

I was encouraged by the way he answered the challenge on Friday night when he was sent to the backline, after some silly errors up forward, but I'm yet to be convinced that he will apply himself with the same manner in the next game or two.

He is entering his 9th season and is now regarded as an experienced player and I think its time for him to start delivering on a more consistent basis.

Thoughts? Am I being too hard on him?

bornadog
26-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I know stats don't say it all, but here is a list of Murphy's career stats. Although his averages are poor, I think he is a real play maker, even thou he rarely handballs in a game. His kicks usually hit targets.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/image004.jpg

At almost 26 years of age, its time for Murphy to have an outstanding season.

Sockeye Salmon
26-02-2008, 12:33 PM
There is no doubt that Robert Murphy is an extremely talented player but injuries aside, in my opinion, he has failed to live up to his potential.

Its hard to find a physical flaw, yes he isn't huge but he has good speed and athleticism and is a real modern day player.
Its hard to find a technical flaw in his game, he marks above his height, his kicking skills can be very good and he is versatile.

He seems to coast along, whetting the appetite of those that desperately want to see him have a real break out season but never quite delivering.
Perhaps its his decision making because whilst he does have the ability to make the impossible look easy he also possess the uncanny knack of screwing up what should otherwise be a certainty.

I want to see him succeed, I also want to see him hurt when he makes silly mistakes and in this area I don't think he does.

He is far fitter than the same time 12 months ago and if we ever need this guy to step up from being regarded by the fans as a talented player to being regarded by the same fans as a match winner then he needs to make that move now.

I was encouraged by the way he answered the challenge on Friday night when he was sent to the backline, after some silly errors up forward, but I'm yet to be convinced that he will apply himself with the same manner in the next game or two.

He is entering his 9th season and is now regarded as an experienced player and I think its time for him to start delivering on a more consistent basis.

He's being asked to play a position that he is not physically suited to play. If he could play Gilbee's role he would be a star.

His biggest weakness is his goalkicking. Gia gets grief for his goalkicking but Gia is miles in front of Murph in front of goal.

Mantis
26-02-2008, 12:46 PM
His biggest weakness is his goalkicking. Gia gets grief for his goalkicking but Gia is miles in front of Murph in front of goal.

Is it??

Career stats:

Gia - 118.82 - Conversion rate = 1.44
Murf - 94.61 - Conversion rate = 1.54

But over the last 3 yrs Gia has certainly improved:

Gia - 58.33 = 1.77
Murf - 65.44 = 1.47

Still if my life depended on either of them kicking for my life I would rather do it myself.

GVGjr
26-02-2008, 12:48 PM
He's being asked to play a position that he is not physically suited to play. If he could play Gilbee's role he would be a star.

You would hope that with Minson and Welsh up forward he could play a more natural forward role but I'm of the impression that if he is to become a better player then a move to the back line is required.

I agree about Gia being a better kick for goal, actually bornadog convinced me of that last year.

GVGjr
26-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I know stats don't say it all, but here is a list of Murphy's career stats. Although his averages are poor, I think he is a real play maker, even thou he rarely handballs in a game. His kicks usually hit targets.

At almost 26 years of age, its time for Murphy to have an outstanding season.

He isn't just due, he is overdue for a big season. With his improved fitness and an uninterrupted pre-season, I think this shapes as an important year for him and for the club.
I know a lot of it is body language but it doesn't normally seem to worry him when he turns the ball over stupidly. I did however, see some signs on Friday night that he was PO'd with himself for a couple of errors he made.

LostDoggy
26-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Bit harsh. Before his injury he was one of the best 'midsize' forwards in the game. He doesn't need 30 touches a game to be dangerous

Go_Dogs
26-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Murph is a very interesting one. I remember reading an article that Clayton wrote, probably around 2005, where he stated that Murph was still the best footballer that he had selected at a draft. A big call considering some of the fantastic talent that Clayton has got over the years.

The problem with Murph is he really does not have a position that he has made his. I personally would love to see him having a bit of a run through the wings, as his ball use is always very good, and for a slightly taller bloke he's got first class mobility and agility. Playing as a lead up forward he also does pretty well, but the sustainability of playing him there must be questioned. He'll also often be matched up against a taller, yet similarly talented player, and as such can find it difficult. I really enjoyed him going back last year, as he showed composure and great ball use, especially at times when our backline was devoid of run and skill.

So where does it leave Murph? Stuck between positions filling gaps in our structure as they arise. Not ideal.

Mantis
26-02-2008, 02:06 PM
He isn't just due, he is overdue for a big season. With his improved fitness and an uninterrupted pre-season, I think this shapes as an important year for him and for the club.
I know a lot of it is body language but it doesn't normally seem to worry him when he turns the ball over stupidly. I did however, see some signs on Friday night that he was PO'd with himself for a couple of errors he made.

Me too, but it didn't stop him doing it.

Is it expecting to much for our players to not make such simple mistakes?

I know that it frustrates the hell out of me and you can see when the camera pans to Eade that he gets extremely frustrated with the simple mistakes we make that cost us dearly.

How do you teach 'dumb' footballers not to make simple errors. Will our new training centre actually help the decision making of our players in game situations?

wimberga
26-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Murph is a very interesting one. I remember reading an article that Clayton wrote, probably around 2005, where he stated that Murph was still the best footballer that he had selected at a draft. A big call considering some of the fantastic talent that Clayton has got over the years.

The problem with Murph is he really does not have a position that he has made his. I personally would love to see him having a bit of a run through the wings, as his ball use is always very good, and for a slightly taller bloke he's got first class mobility and agility. Playing as a lead up forward he also does pretty well, but the sustainability of playing him there must be questioned. He'll also often be matched up against a taller, yet similarly talented player, and as such can find it difficult. I really enjoyed him going back last year, as he showed composure and great ball use, especially at times when our backline was devoid of run and skill.

So where does it leave Murph? Stuck between positions filling gaps in our structure as they arise. Not ideal.

Agree with this Griff, Good post.

I would alsolike to see Murph on one wing and Ray on the other. time will tell though.

Any chance of digging up that article??

Twodogs
26-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Bit harsh. Before his injury he was one of the best 'midsize' forwards in the game. He doesn't need 30 touches a game to be dangerous

He doesnt but he's capable of getting 30 touches a game at CHF. He doesnt get close to that number and that's why he is a frutrating player.

We dont need blokes who coast through games doing what they are comfortable doing, we need blokes who play to their absolute best most weeks.*

*Not a dig at Murph in particular-he's got plenty of mates in the coasting stakes.

gohardorgohome
26-02-2008, 02:27 PM
He seemed to be all at sea up forward in the NAB cup games. Not sure if it is confidence or playing with a niggling injury. I noticed that he was playing up back at the end of the game against Essendon which is a good move IMO. If he is not carrying an injury, I would play him up back for a praccy match or two just to let him get into a bit of form and confidence.

GVGjr
26-02-2008, 02:29 PM
How do you teach 'dumb' footballers not to make simple errors. Will our new training centre actually help the decision making of our players in game situations?

I know what you are saying and Murphy isn't a dumb footballer. He's a footballer more than an athlete turned footballer but he has these lapses that just take the edge of his game.

I don't expect perfection from anyone but he just makes more errors than he should. I think its just his concentration.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Any chance of digging up that article??

Sadly, I don't think so. It was on the official site, and browsing on there a few weeks back I couldn't locate any of the old articles they had. Clayton had a whole lot of them where he would talk about the guys he had drafted, very interesting reads.

If I come across them, I'll post them.

Mantis
26-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I know what you are saying and Murphy isn't a dumb footballer. He's a footballer more than an athlete turned footballer but he has these lapses that just take the edge of his game.

I don't expect perfection from anyone but he just makes more errors than he should. I think its just his concentration.

I don't understand how a player who reads the play so well and alwayd puts himself in the correct spot has so many mental fades when he has the ball in his hands. His pass to Tiller in the pocket in the 1st qtr when he was 40m out staright in front was not only poorly executed it was plain silly. Why would you pass the ball to a player in a worse position than yourself? I don't understand how a professional sportsman can make such a decision.

Sockeye Salmon
26-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Is it??

Career stats:

Gia - 118.82 - Conversion rate = 1.44
Murf - 94.61 - Conversion rate = 1.54

But over the last 3 yrs Gia has certainly improved:

Gia - 58.33 = 1.77
Murf - 65.44 = 1.47

Still if my life depended on either of them kicking for my life I would rather do it myself.

That really surprises me. The only explanation I could give is Gia kicks more points from crumbing snaps under pressure. We are only talking about 6 points over his career.

As far as kicking for my life, it's one of Denis Commetti's greatest ever lines

"I'd rather it was my mother. At least I know she'd care."

bornadog
26-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't understand how a professional sportsman can make such a decision.

its called pressure.

Mantis
26-02-2008, 02:53 PM

Definitely wouldn't want it to be your partner. She/ he would already be spending your money as the ball sailed into the man on the mark.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Great thread, a very interesting observation.

I wholeheartedly agree; I think it's Murphs decision making and concentration lapses as already pointed out. For somebody so incredibly talented, he does make too many simple mistakes (eg. missing a goal from 3m out, the pass to Tiller as Mantis pointed out). It's very frustrating; I always sense Murphy doesn't particularly care as much as he should after making mistakes either. He's naturally a laid back personality but I think it carries a little too much over into his football life.

Hopefully he has a brillant year, he needs to have one, it's undoubtedly his biggest up-coming season yet. Team wise, we probably do require him across HF playing predominately as a CHF. I wonder - though - if Eade could play Murph exactly where he wanted him too without leaving a hole in the side, where it'd be. You could make substantial cases for both the wing & half back.

Either way, I hope Murph bursts out of his skins this year - he's one of the most dangerous and intelligent players in the competition, he needs to re-emphasize it though.

Bulldog Revolution
26-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Very good thread, I dont think you have been too hard on Murphy at all GVGjr.

If Murphy has any weakness it can be propensity for shanking kicks, he often kicks ones that just dont spin right.

Its crucial to me that we throw Murphy wherever the action is

IMHO Eade waited too long to throw him back last season, and give him a chance to get his confidence up. I was pleased to see him thrown down there on Friday night.

When the team is minus Gilbee and Griffen I think we learnt on Friday that he just has to play back.

However, given that Boyd, Cross and West are not the quickest centre square combination, and that Cooney is the only real dynamic mover we've got, I've been wondering whether we can again try Murphy on the ball.

Mantis
26-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Very good thread, I dont think you have been too hard on Murphy at all GVGjr.

If Murphy has any weakness it can be propensity for shanking kicks, he often kicks ones that just dont spin right.

Its crucial to me that we throw Murphy wherever the action is

IMHO Eade waited too long to throw him back last season, and give him a chance to get his confidence up. I was pleased to see him thrown down there on Friday night.

When the team is minus Gilbee and Griffen I think we learnt on Friday that he just has to play back.

However, given that Boyd, Cross and West are not the quickest centre square combination, and that Cooney is the only real dynamic mover we've got, I've been wondering whether we can again try Murphy on the ball.

But without Gia in the team we have no lead up half forward either. Are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

The pressure was on Hargrave, Everitt, Callan and Addison to fill the running half back position on Friday night and they didn't do a very good job at all.

hujsh
26-02-2008, 05:04 PM
While not opposed to Murph play back to get confidence, i would rather him in Wight's spot. At least if we kick it to him he should take the mark and use the ball better.

Sockeye Salmon
26-02-2008, 05:33 PM
But without Gia in the team we have no lead up half forward either. Are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

The pressure was on Hargrave, Everitt, Callan and Addison to fill the running half back position on Friday night and they didn't do a very good job at all.

I thought Hargrave was good, but he was playing much deeper.

Everitt, Addison and Callan were terrible.

mjp
26-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I thought Hargrave was good, but he was playing much deeper.

Everitt, Addison and Callan were terrible.

Hargrave was good.

Everitt is woefully out of form, but at least he can kick (well, I have seen him kick in the past). Addison's decision making is horrible - sorry, but he would be almost the last guy I want delivering the ball out of the backline. Callan? Well, he doesn't look like much of a defender, let alone one who can provide us with a bit of run and spark.

Mantis called it out before the game - the absence of Gilbee and Griffen almost killed us before we even started.

If you want to know who else I think can play that role - Cal Ward. He is a much smarter ball user than the other guys we have tried back there. He does tend to 'play-off' his opponents a bit though, so it would be a real roll of the dice to throw him in there.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2008, 05:54 PM
If you want to know who else I think can play that role - Cal Ward. He is a much smarter ball user than the other guys we have tried back there. He does tend to 'play-off' his opponents a bit though, so it would be a real roll of the dice to throw him in there.

Surely he wouldn't be too much worse than some of McMahon's efforts last season. As contested marking seems to be a strength of his, he could certainly become a great option there.

LostDoggy
26-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Murphy is the David Gower of the Dogs.

I think he is just taking longer than expected to get right after his 2006 knee injury.

Prediction: he'll kick 30-40 goals this year from half-forward (as well as having regular stints down back trying to patch things) and that will be a good contribution.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-02-2008, 07:31 PM

Agree. we've been tantalised for some time by the prospect of Murph taking the comp by storm and for whatever reason he's never quite done that... yet he has all the required tools to do so.
I really think he has been harmed by the need to employ his mercurialism in a position not suited to his frame.
I too agree and would like to see him run off the backline and use his nouse and skill to set up play. This means of course we need some of our taller timber to be able to hold down CHF. Come on down either Skipper, McDougall, Williams, Everitt or Wight.
I have serious doubts about McDougall or Wight being the answer, and the jury is still out on Skipper and it's probably too early for either Everitt or Williams to make it their own.

Bulldog Revolution
26-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Hargrave was good.

Everitt is woefully out of form, but at least he can kick (well, I have seen him kick in the past). Addison's decision making is horrible - sorry, but he would be almost the last guy I want delivering the ball out of the backline.

I wanted to echo these thoughts, because I believe Hargrave generally is good frequently and often receives little attention for it, he quietly goes about his business, spent some time on a wing, half forward, and back.

Everitt is out of touch and will need to gain form in the VFL before he is considered for senior selection in the season proper.

Do you think Addison would be better suited tagging in the midfield at this stage? He clearly has the speed, closing ability. What would you be doing with him to address these decision making issues? What should be the next step in his development?

LostDoggy
26-02-2008, 08:37 PM

I don't think the two are linked. We all know he is a good footballer and the way I see this question is if Murphy is reaching his true potential. At this stage I would say no but it doesn't mean he isn't a good footballer already. Nothing harsh in it.

LostDoggy
26-02-2008, 08:43 PM
He seemed to be all at sea up forward in the NAB cup games. Not sure if it is confidence or playing with a niggling injury. I noticed that he was playing up back at the end of the game against Essendon which is a good move IMO. If he is not carrying an injury, I would play him up back for a praccy match or two just to let him get into a bit of form and confidence.

Where to play him is the biggest question. I have a theory (right or wrong) that I want defenders to be agile athletic guys with good skills. He ticks all the boxes there.

With that in mind, I'd like to have a defensive 6 of Morris, Lake, Hargrave, Gilbee, Williams and Murphy. Griffen could slot back there and the same with Everitt.

The trouble is how do you replace Murphy's ability to kick 35 goals as a forward. I'd still make the change to defense but our forward line isn't a real goal kicking one at present.

BulldogBelle
26-02-2008, 08:46 PM

Murphy when he applies himself he can do anything, although when he has these lapses and sometimes I detect he just seems a little to casual in his approach he really lets himself down.

Now a senior leader he has to show these young guys how to go about it and I really hope this year he turns it on. I really like Murph, but sometimes he can be so frustrating.

FrediKanoute
26-02-2008, 11:27 PM

Yes. Murphy pre-knee was everything you mentioned above. A kee injury isn't just about the physical its also about the psychological. no matter how strong your body actually is you carry a doubt in the back of your mind that the knee will give way. This is only erased after a period of time, when confidence in the body returns. That is why the knee is a 2 year injury! Murphy will get better and better the longer the year goes on.

westdog54
27-02-2008, 12:58 AM
I think part of the problem lies in that we don't know exactly what to do with him.

We know he can play midfield, as a lead-up forward, and playing the oh-so popularly named 'quarterback' position (surely someone needs to come up with something better than this, but I digress), but which does he do best?

He seems to be a player we are able to comfortably slot in where he's needed on the day, yet he doesn't really seem to 'excel' in any of the areas.

He's a damn good player but as GVGjr said he still has plenty of unfulfilled potential. Perhaps him 'finding his spot' will go a way to addressing that.

fish
27-02-2008, 06:04 AM
Haven't seen much of the games 'post-knee' for Murphy, but for me he always used to look most dangerous when he could be one-on-one with an opponent, as awareness of what the ball was doing seemed so good, plus good marking, and good agility.
I think that Murph is best suited to a wing type role, the only problem with this is that it seems like these days the wing is really just an additional midfielder, and is therefore needed in amongst it (a fair proportion of the time), and I'm not sure that this is where he is best. So it's a tricky one. But i would start with him on a wing, and try and isolate his opponent and use him as a main option between hb and hf. The other wing may then need more 'midfield' type responsibility.
Fingers crossed for a big season as it is needed.

bornadog
27-02-2008, 02:50 PM
In his last full season without injury, Murphy kicked 33 goals in 2005. I prefer him up forward as he is dangerous when he gets the ball.

westdog54
27-02-2008, 05:20 PM
In his last full season without injury, Murphy kicked 33 goals in 2005. I prefer him up forward as he is dangerous when he gets the ball.

But is he the same player as he was before his injury? I'm not sure that he is. Not that he's any better or worse but he just seems, well, different. He's not the forward he used to be.

hujsh
27-02-2008, 05:31 PM
But is he the same player as he was before his injury? I'm not sure that he is. Not that he's any better or worse but he just seems, well, different. He's not the forward he used to be.

He was last year so i would say he is.

katemeehan
27-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Yes. Murphy pre-knee was everything you mentioned above. A kee injury isn't just about the physical its also about the psychological. no matter how strong your body actually is you carry a doubt in the back of your mind that the knee will give way. This is only erased after a period of time, when confidence in the body returns. That is why the knee is a 2 year injury! Murphy will get better and better the longer the year goes on.

Agreed. You cant fully understand how difficult a knee injury is to overcome until you experience it first-hand. The psychological part of its horrible...really hard to overcome. And your right about the doubt you carry in the back of your mind, theres definately something there holding you back from the things you used to be able to throw yourself into with ease and not worrying about your knee mucking up again.

I'll give him that, the knee will be a dent in the confidence.
But I agree with the point that hes well overdue for a stand-out season.

GVGjr
27-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I'll give him that, the knee will be a dent in the confidence.
But I agree with the point that hes well overdue for a stand-out season.

Thats really the point I am making. I'll cut him a fair bit of slack for 2007 because after all it was recovery season for him. I just don't want to see him keep making the same mistakes that he did Friday might as a forward before he want back into defence and lifted his rate.

Hes a talented player and I just want to see him maximize those talents.

bornadog
05-05-2008, 11:20 PM
He is a talented player and I just want to see him maximize those talents.

I think Murphy is now showing us what a talent he really is. His second quarter yesterday really sparked us and he contributed as well as kicked goals.

GVGjr
05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I think Murphy is now showing us what a talent he really is. His second quarter yesterday really sparked us and he contributed as well as kicked goals.

I was only thinking today that I needed to revisit this thread. He has answered the challenge fantastically hasn't he and this is the type of football we knew he could play.

dog town
07-05-2008, 05:31 PM
It probably helps him that we have changed our style a bit from last year. Instead of drawing players and trying to carry the ball the length of the field we are prepared to hit him up on the lead if we need to or go long to Hahn or Minson. His agility just amazes me at times. Players get themselves into trouble and just squirt the ball off the side of the boot towards Murphy and his reactions and agility get him to the ball first everytime. How do you go with someone who can move so well laterally and has such a good footy brain. Its just as intimidating as playing on Brown or Pavlich in its own way. I am sure some Freo player is dreading playing on him at the massive Subiaco Oval next week.

LostDoggy
07-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Bob Murphy is indeed the "David Gower" of the doggies! His cover driving when on song wins matches- but sometimes his timing is simply not on....

Despite the fact that I find the amount of word-spinning(including my own) on Murphy quite curious in this thread- I have to admit that the most obvious 'flaw' I see seems to be that he plays dominant halves and not a whole evenly paced match, not individual skill errors! Seems a trifle nitpicky to me to focus on them....I'm particularly remembering a brilliant Chris Grant like worm burner pass last quarter?

Dancin' Douggy
07-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Robert Murphy is a champion.
I'm waiting for an avalanche to hit me now.
There are so many opinions and criticisms from people from all walks of life but if you know footy you'll recognise the genius and commitment from Murphy. Maybe he doesn't 'act' disappointed after a mistake but then again, maybe he's immediately working toward the next possession or situation, like smothering the ball in defense at the SCG in the dying minutes to WIN, I repeat WIN the game. Maybe you'd prefer an average player who knew how to look disappointed and anguished like Kayne Pettifer (Phyliss Diller look alike). Watching him is agonising.
Murphy is a sparkling gem in our forward line and like most, or all of our forwards, he is punching way above his weight division.
Before he did his knee he was on fire. One year recovery. One year playing below your best. Then the third year you should be firing again and that's exactly what he's doing.
GO MURPH!!!!

bornadog
08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Robert Murphy is a champion.
I'm waiting for an avalanche to hit me now.
There are so many opinions and criticisms from people from all walks of life but if you know footy you'll recognise the genius and commitment from Murphy. Maybe he doesn't 'act' disappointed after a mistake but then again, maybe he's immediately working toward the next possession or situation, like smothering the ball in defense at the SCG in the dying minutes to WIN, I repeat WIN the game. Maybe you'd prefer an average player who knew how to look disappointed and anguished like Kayne Pettifer (Phyliss Diller look alike). Watching him is agonising.
Murphy is a sparkling gem in our forward line and like most, or all of our forwards, he is punching way above his weight division.
Before he did his knee he was on fire. One year recovery. One year playing below your best. Then the third year you should be firing again and that's exactly what he's doing.
GO MURPH!!!!

I hope he plays for the VICS and shows the football world just how good he is.

ledge
08-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Funny isnt it Murph looks so slow when he balks or runs off a player, like a (dare me say it) rolls royce, Then Griffen who is also a super talent actually looks like he is going at rampant pace when he does it.
2 footballers of enormous talent that are chalk and cheese in the way they do the same thing.
Please dont kill me for putting Grants nickname to Murphs but if you know what i mean its just a casual everyday thing for them to both run around a player.
All CLASS.

bornadog
12-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Played well on Saturday and spoke well on the couch tonight. We need him fit and firing for the rest of the season.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-05-2008, 08:32 PM

Absolutely brilliant, i hadn't heard that one before:D

ledge
18-05-2008, 04:16 PM
A bloke who wore number 3 at Sydney in the 90s and ran some pubs in the west named Lewis comes to mind in similarities with Murph.

bornadog
03-06-2008, 10:24 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/GALL_DOGS_SS4_gallery__302x400.jpg

Does any one think that without Murphy this week we will be adversly effected? He has been averaging around 20 disposal per game plus kicked very accurately with a return of 20 goals 4 behinds.

Can we cover him in the CHF role? I would play Tiller in the role that Murphy has been playing and bring in Harbrow for a bit of pace.

Sockeye Salmon
03-06-2008, 10:41 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/GALL_DOGS_SS4_gallery__302x400.jpg

Does any one think that without Murphy this week we will be adversly effected? He has been averaging around 20 disposal per game plus kicked very accurately with a return of 20 goals 4 behinds.

Can we cover him in the CHF role? I would play Tiller in the role that Murphy has been playing and bring in Harbrow for a bit of pace.

A huge hole to fill. His form at CHF is, IMO, the single biggest reason for our rise (apologies to Hudson and Aker, but Murph has been more important).

1eyedog
03-06-2008, 11:27 AM

That is a fantastic mark

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Bump.

I thought this would be worth revisting. How do posters see Murphy a couple of years on? Is he living up to his supreme talent? Obviously he's had a difficult time with injuries and so fourth but now that his body's right, it probably hasn't been a great start to the season for Murph. Having said that - his second half v Adelaide was better and perhaps a turn of form. Fingers crossed.

More importantly, is it worth playing Murphy back for a couple of games? Perhaps moving either Everitt or Harbrow further up the field? Whilst I've always thought Bob is crucial to our forward set-up, perhaps he can be our swing man now that we've added Hall to the line-up?

On the bigger grounds I'd still expect Murph to line up at CHF but there's merit to playing Murph across half back at times.

Ozza
26-04-2010, 11:27 PM
There are certainly times when Murphy could be used across half back - partcularly if we are under siege in games (like when he drifted back early against Collingwood and got us back on track for a while in the 2nd and 3rd quarters).

I think Bob Murphy is as important as just about anyone to our Premiership chances. He has a huge tank to work across half forward fantastic hands (99% of the time!) and creates chances for us.

You only have to watch the first half of the prelim last year to remind yourself how important he is to our structure - particularly when the opposition is good at closing down kicking options (like the saints obviously are).

Apart from this he is an extremely tough match up.
I'm not quite as put off as others with his 6 quarter form slump - he started the season brilliantly - and really got going in the second half on Friday.

GVGjr
26-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Bump.

I thought this would be worth revisting. How do posters see Murphy a couple of years on? Is he living up to his supreme talent? Obviously he's had a difficult time with injuries and so fourth but now that his body's right, it probably hasn't been a great start to the season for Murph. Having said that - his second half v Adelaide was better and perhaps a turn of form. Fingers crossed..

I still think he hasn't quite lived up to his potential but he has closed the gap.

Dry Rot
26-04-2010, 11:57 PM
In a perfect world, we'd probably play both Murphy and Griffen in the backline.

But both are needed elsewhere for now.

An interesting hypothetical: if we had a good tall CHF, where would you play Murphy?

LostDoggy
27-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Roaming free. He is a free spirit!!

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2010, 12:39 AM
I still think he hasn't quite lived up to his potential but he has closed the gap.

I tend to agree, but why? I don't think it's a work rate issue as he generally is always presenting all over the ground. Is it a concentration thing or is he a player that will always struggle for that week to week consistency?

On talent alone he'd have to be one of the hardest forwards to defend. Plays tall but is equally as good on the ground as he is in the air. Reminds me of a smaller version of Riewoldt in some senses.

GVGjr
27-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I tend to agree, but why? I don't think it's a work rate issue as he generally is always presenting all over the ground. Is it a concentration thing or is he a player that will always struggle for that week to week consistency?

On talent alone he'd have to be one of the hardest forwards to defend. Plays tall but is equally as good on the ground as he is in the air. Reminds me of a smaller version of Riewoldt in some senses.

I think he has improved his goal kicking probably more around getting the easy goals that he should have always got anyway. With the exception of the last couple of weeks he's also stepped up his marking.

The concern is that there is still a big gap between his best and his poor performances.

LostDoggy
27-04-2010, 09:13 AM
I think he has improved his goal kicking probably more around getting the easy goals that he should have always got anyway. With the exception of the last couple of weeks he's also stepped up his marking.

The concern is that there is still a big gap between his best and his poor performances.

I would like to see him give up travelling by train and drive to training to get there earlier and use the extra time learning how to mark the ball on his chest. How many has he spilled this year?

He has a problem with his technique that needs fixing

Scorlibo
27-04-2010, 09:35 AM
In a perfect world, we'd probably play both Murphy and Griffen in the backline.

But both are needed elsewhere for now.

An interesting hypothetical: if we had a good tall CHF, where would you play Murphy?

I would still play him across half forward, and I don't agree with you on Murphy and Griffen's ideal positions, for mine Griffen has always been a midfielder and Murphy's evasive skills are best utilised around the congested forward fifty.

chef
27-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I would still play him across half forward, and I don't agree with you on Murphy and Griffen's ideal positions, for mine Griffen has always been a midfielder and Murphy's evasive skills are best utilised around the congested forward fifty.

I agree, they are already being played in their best positions

Curly5
27-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Fingers crossed no injuries - like the rest of the team I think Murph is working up towards the end of the season and finals. :)

GVGjr
27-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I would like to see him give up travelling by train and drive to training to get there earlier and use the extra time learning how to mark the ball on his chest. How many has he spilled this year?

He has a problem with his technique that needs fixing

Technique or concentration?
I think he takes too many good marks for it to be a problem with his technique.

Mantis
27-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Technique or concentration?
I think he takes too many good marks for it to be a problem with his technique.

I think it's concentration.

When he is about to complete a chest mark he seems to take it a little easy and doesn't watch the ball onto his chest.

It really needs to fix this little problem as it has been/ will be costly.

Rocco Jones
27-04-2010, 10:52 PM

When he is about to complete a chest mark he seems to take it a little easy and doesn't watch the ball onto his chest.

He is a creative player and seems to be the type that can be thinking about the next step when approaching something rudimentary.

bornadog
27-04-2010, 11:21 PM

I think he is already trying to work out what he will do with the ball and maybe he is one step ahead of himself, but doesn't take the ball with him. You will notice that Murph is always playing on, keeping the ball moving.

GVGjr
27-04-2010, 11:55 PM
He is a creative player and seems to be the type that can be thinking about the next step when approaching something rudimentary.

That's all very well when you are in form and have the right touch but at times he looks very amateurish spilling marks that he should otherwise gobble up.

stefoid
28-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Hes a good flanker. Would have been a great wing in the 80s/early 90s when players had a position and a direct opponent.

Mofra
28-04-2010, 10:32 AM
That's all very well when you are in form and have the right touch but at times he looks very amateurish spilling marks that he should otherwise gobble up.
We always have the option of putting Bobby on the HBF if he's out of touch, expecially with Shaggy no certainty to play. He does have the ability to set up play and his speed of ball movement on the turnover will be a bonus. Only downside is the HF line problem - it may mean reducing Higgo's midfield time and playing him forward a bit more.

Cyberdoggie
28-04-2010, 02:55 PM
He seems to be jumping at the ball too often.
For simple marks that he could walk up to and take it out in front he is instead jumping at them to take on the bread basket.

Sure he should hold these and normally does, but everytime he jumps at the ball, the opposition defender can make contact and put him to ground, robbing him of his ability to quickly play on and get around his man. Maybe he's doing this because he doesn't want contact on his dodgy knee?

It could be a few things that have triggered it but in end he's a good player that is out of form and making silly mental mistakes.

LostDoggy
28-04-2010, 05:59 PM
He seems to be jumping at the ball too often.
For simple marks that he could walk up to and take it out in front he is instead jumping at them to take on the bread basket.

Sure he should hold these and normally does, but everytime he jumps at the ball, the opposition defender can make contact and put him to ground, robbing him of his ability to quickly play on and get around his man. Maybe he's doing this because he doesn't want contact on his dodgy knee?

It could be a few things that have triggered it but in end he's a good player that is out of form and making silly mental mistakes.

He is trying to jack-knife himself into the ball seemingly to protect it but it's going straight through his arms - this is a technique issue.

If he goes back to simply marking the ball on his chest he will be alright. He can defend the ball by positioning his body between the ball and his opponent - the way he did before.

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2010, 06:34 PM
He is trying to jack-knife himself into the ball seemingly to protect it but it's going straight through his arms - this is a technique issue.

If he goes back to simply marking the ball on his chest he will be alright. He can defend the ball by positioning his body between the ball and his opponent - the way he did before.

We tell our 6 yo's in Auskick, "no chicken wings! Elbows in, don't let the ball slip through".

LostDoggy
29-04-2010, 11:27 AM
We tell our 6 yo's in Auskick, "no chicken wings! Elbows in, don't let the ball slip through".

It's not quite Rocket Science is it?

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 04:18 PM

You always can tell which blokes come from a cricketing background -- they see everything as a 'technique' issue. ;)

I'm in agreement with you here. All players let bad habits creep into their game over time, especially when they are 'in form' and can compensate for flaws with feel, but once their touch goes out a little bit these bad habits come back to haunt them.

GVGjr
08-05-2010, 12:18 AM
I liked some of his work in the back line tonight. Thought he used the ball well.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 12:21 AM
I liked some of his work in the back line tonight. Thought he used the ball well.

His reading of the ball really makes him stand out down back, we look a lot more composed also when he is down there.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Played much better in the back half tonight. Starting to wonder if he's better value there than up forward, where he's struggled for quite some time.

KT31
08-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Played much better in the back half tonight. Starting to wonder if he's better value there than up forward, where he's struggled for quite some time.

IMO better up down back.
When forward needs to settle and find the best option instead of playing on straight away.
This was fine last season with a small forward line, but with Bazza and a slower line up we need to settle and find the best lead.
Although it doesn't help when you don't have a player inside your 50.

angelopetraglia
08-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Played better when he went back, but some very unlike Murphy mistakes in the first half.

KT31
08-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Played better when he went back, but some very unlike Murphy mistakes in the first half.

Has been making them for a couple of weeks.

bulldogsman
08-05-2010, 12:56 AM
I hope he stays in the back line for at least the start of the game next week. Thought he was great in the last when he went in the back.

angelopetraglia
08-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Has been making them for a couple of weeks.

Agree. He seems out of sorts. 1st round he was on fire. What has happened?

Is he carrying anything?

Ozza
08-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Thought Murph was good tonight. Was busy early across half forward and sure'd us up at half back after that.

anfo27
08-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Looks low on confidence Murphy and thought Eade should have made the move a few weeks ago. He is so important and needs to be in the game. Would like to see him spend some time in the midfield, Does he have the tank though?

Go_Dogs
08-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Poor old Murph had another night to forget. One particular incident about centre-field, late in the game, where he ended up sprawled on the ground looking like Bambi and the ball just bobbled away from him. It didn't look great.

He's going to be a pretty important player against Sydney next week, so hopefully he can really turn his form around and have a big night.

The Pie Man
08-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Finey on SEN suggested after the game that Murph's not working hard enough - tough call - I'd like to see him play off half back for a while, but I wouldn't accuse him of not putting in the work

Ghost Dog
08-05-2010, 09:59 AM
What do you think of his Articles that he writes? I read his the other week, going on about his veggie patch, how he named the cabbages in his garden or something, the philosophy of Johnny Cash etc and wondered to myself - is this guy going to spill blood for the club? I mean, I enjoyed reading it but it made me wonder if he is ready to go out and crack heads; like Harbrow, who would jump in front of a V-Line Train if he thought he could get a sniff of the ball.

It worries me!

GVGjr
08-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Finey on SEN suggested after the game that Murph's not working hard enough - tough call - I'd like to see him play off half back for a while, but I wouldn't accuse him of not putting in the work

Work ethic isn't the problem in my opinion.

Bulldog4life
08-05-2010, 11:21 AM

Don't agree with that. Although Murph is not in sparkling form, for reasons we are unaware of, his commitment can't be questioned.

Murphy'sLore
08-05-2010, 12:05 PM
What do you think of his Articles that he writes? I read his the other week, going on about his veggie patch, how he named the cabbages in his garden or something, the philosophy of Johnny Cash etc and wondered to myself - is this guy going to spill blood for the club?

Surely a person can be a well-rounded intelligent individual without having his commitment to the team questioned? :eek:

The Pie Man
08-05-2010, 12:14 PM

Don't agree with that. Although Murph is not in sparkling form, for reasons we are unaware of, his commitment can't be questioned.

Yeah I agree with two - not sure where that comment came from

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah I agree with two - not sure where that comment came from

Finey isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, although he thinks he's pretty smart (which is a bad combination). With Nathan Thompson, they would have to be the worst tactical analysis team in the business -- when they talk about how teams line up and the 'tricks' coaches may employ, or come up with simplistic (and dumb) conclusions like "Murph is not working hard enough", they sound exactly like your average Joe Milkbar who has no idea about how the game actually works.

And before anyone says 'but Nathan Thompson used to play the game at the highest level', my answer would be, 'yes, but he was a full-time full forward'.

chef
08-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Yep, he's not holding his marks and turns the ball over too much by foot.

gohardorgohome
08-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Murphy is a gun in defence. I wa suprised it took so long to put him back there to get some form.

Remi Moses
08-05-2010, 11:20 PM
I was going to start a thread on the Stkilda groupie network!Which is under an alias of SEN. Mark Fine said that Hall is showing his age (don't know what he is watching)Francis Leach is another one who got owned by Dermie when defending that Stkilda Tsunami,with Leach giving the predictable scoreboard but Breretonpointing out that Stkilda will not win a flag playing that way.