PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee thread Rd 2 vs Carlton

GVGjr
21-03-2020, 02:38 AM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

So if you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 1 match against Collingwood to take on Carlton in Round 2?

For those new to these match committee threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
21-03-2020, 02:52 AM
In: Schache (tall), Lipinski (mid/fwd), Richards (wing/HFF)
Out: Gardner (tall), Wallis (fwd/mid), Lloyd (HFF)

Consider Weightman to bring in some enthusiasm.

Young to Defence. Bruce/Schache second ruck. Anyone else to take kick ins.

B: Suckling Cordy Wood
HB: JJ Keath Crozier
C: Smith Bont Hunter
HF: Schache Naughton Richards
F: Cavarra Bruce Dale
R: English, Dunkley, Macrae
I: Daniel, Lipinski, Williams, Young/Weightman

Happy Days
21-03-2020, 05:28 AM
Gardner can’t ever play again

Mantis
21-03-2020, 10:28 AM
My team -

B- Crozier, Trengove, Wood
HB - Williams, Keath, JJ
C - Richards, Dunkley, Hunter
HF - Smith, Naughton, Lipinski
F - Cavarra, Bruce, Schache
R - English, Bontempelli, Macrae

Int - Daniel, McLean, Lloyd, Young

Go your hardest!

westbulldog
21-03-2020, 11:26 AM
2nd chances to Naughton (in too early), Cavarra, Bruce, Lloyd, Wallis.

Out Dale (1 kick, 5 handballs, unacceptable), Gardner ( amateur level clangers)
In Sweet or Trengove, Lipinski or Richards

Cordy out of FB to the interchange bench or wherever. Young to FB. Young, Williams or Suckling to do the kick ins.

comrade
21-03-2020, 11:42 AM
My team -

HB - Williams, Keath, JJ

Go your hardest!

Naughton gets one more week forward, if our backline crumbles again, he’s going back.

I’d probably turf Lloyd and replace with Weightman, just for that putrid short step he took.

azabob
21-03-2020, 11:55 AM
My team -

HB - Williams, Keath, JJ

Go your hardest!

I assume this is a message to the club? ;)

Balance looks good. Are we still a tad too tall with Young on the bench?

Hotdog60
21-03-2020, 12:18 PM
Carlton has lost Kreuzer and they won't have Curnow if we drop this one questions need to be asked regarding the teams head space.

Mantis
21-03-2020, 12:46 PM

A message to all!

Suckling in for Young maybe, but added an extra tall for flexibility and even though Schache is 6’6” I’m classifying him as a medium sized player.

The Adelaide Connection
21-03-2020, 02:28 PM
In the period where we were flying Trengove was a big part of it all- either in the ruck or down back. His fall from grace has been dizzying and rapid.

English couldn’t take his eyes off Grundy at all last night, to the point where he was so worried about him that he wasn’t positioned at all well for the ballon some occasions. You can understand why. But the plan B was to bring in pretty green part timers to face him, which also didn’t work at all. I think throwing in a bit of Trengove mongrel would have been a way better option.

In: Trengove, Lipinski, Richards
Out: Gardner, Young, Wallis

Ps I think we can afford to lose another tall for a bit more dash (especially with no Curnow and the loss of Kruezer).

bornadog
21-03-2020, 02:55 PM
My team -

HB - Williams, Keath, JJ

Go your hardest!

A message to all!

Suckling in for Young maybe, but added an extra tall for flexibility and even though Schache is 6’6” I’m classifying him as a medium sized player.

I like your team, but agree with Aza, one player too tall. I would go either Trengove or Young at fullback and drop one. I wonder if we could slot Libba in instead of Mclean at this stage. Libba is ready to go but needs match fitness, but without Footscray maybe we take the risk. As for Suckling, his best games have been at HBF, but who do you drop?

Rocket Science
21-03-2020, 04:12 PM
The more English gets monstered coupled with no genuine key defenders when we legitimately need one makes me think Trengove really deserves a place in this side until those maladies are rectified. It's not as if anyone played sufficiently well last night to feel 'safe'.

I'm sorry if Trenners shart on Bevo's front porch but it's time the coach got over it.

Wanna mow down our 21 year old first ruck? Fine, have a dose of Trengove's knees for the last ten minutes of each quarter. Plus it'll free up English to be more influential around the ground, which is really his chief asset at the moment.

Danjul
22-03-2020, 10:34 AM
The more English gets monstered coupled with no genuine key defenders when we legitimately need one makes me think Trengove really deserves a place in this side until those maladies are rectified. It's not as if anyone played sufficiently well last night to feel 'safe'.

I'm sorry if Trenners shart on Bevo's front porch but it's time the coach got over it.

Wanna mow down our 21 year old first ruck? Fine, have a dose of Trengove's knees for the last ten minutes of each quarter. Plus it'll free up English to be more influential around the ground, which is really his chief asset at the moment.

I don’t mind the fact that English will get monstered by champion ruckmen. That’s to be expected, he was given the role too early. The relevant skills are still developing and I can see progress.

What I find unbelievable is nobody else expects it. He has never been given the respect and support that all learners need. He has never played beside a ruck mentor. He has had to learn from repeated thrashings. I respect the fact that he still hasn’t dropped his head.

It is obvious that our game plan is based around a small group of stars, but as with the ruck I cannot see any concept of “what do we do if it’s not working”. Where is the built in redundancy?

The Bont should have been moved away from where his problem was developing. Persisting wasted his talent. Instead of getting 70% we insisted on 30%. The same as we do when English has a bad day.

GVGjr
22-03-2020, 11:03 AM
I don’t mind the fact that English will get monstered by champion ruckmen. That’s to be expected, he was given the role too early. The relevant skills are still developing and I can see progress.

What I find unbelievable is nobody else expects it. He has never been given the respect and support that all learners need. He has never played beside a ruck mentor. He has had to learn from repeated thrashings. I respect the fact that he still hasn’t dropped his head.

It is obvious that our game plan is based around a small group of stars, but as with the ruck I cannot see any concept of “what do we do if it’s not working”. Where is the built in redundancy?

The Bont should have been moved away from where his problem was developing. Persisting wasted his talent. Instead of getting 70% we insisted on 30%. The same as we do when English has a bad day.

Good analysis, It appears that Bevo hasn't rated the ruck position that highly for a while now although if we continue to get burned in that area he might change that view just a bit. I suspect though that he is content to cop the beating backing his midfield to adjust to the other ruck man. Still 3 dominate games in a row by Grundy and 4 straight losses against Collingwood indicates we need to make some adjustments. On top of that English also got burned by Goldstein last year although full credit to him by going forward and kicking a couple of goals in that game. He found a way to contribute other than just with hit outs and marks around the ground

There is no genuine plan B in case it's going pear shaped. Bevo has shown a preference for the likes of Cordy, Naughton, Schache and even Bontempelli or Dunkley to be used more than having someone like Trengove there. Young and Bruce will add to those additional options now which is good for Dunks and Bont.
In my opinion from a playing list we have been short at least one genuine ruck option for a couple of seasons now and that is unlikely to change.
I'm backing English to come through this and keep improving but as you pointed out he will cop some beatings along the way by the competition better rucks.

Danjul
22-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Good analysis, It appears that Bevo hasn't rated the ruck position that highly for a while now although if we continue to get burned in that area he might change that view just a bit. I suspect though that he is content to cop the beating backing his midfield to adjust to the other ruck man. Still 3 dominate games in a row by Grundy and 4 straight losses against Collingwood indicates we need to make some adjustments. On top of that English also got burned by Goldstein last year although full credit to him by going forward and kicking a couple of goals in that game. He found a way to contribute other than just with hit outs and marks around the ground

There is no genuine plan B in case it's going pear shaped. Bevo has shown a preference for the likes of Cordy, Naughton, Schache and even Bontempelli or Dunkley to be used more than having someone like Trengove there. Young and Bruce will add to those additional options now which is good for Dunks and Bont.
In my opinion from a playing list we have been short at least one genuine ruck option for a couple of seasons now and that is unlikely to change.
I'm backing English to come through this and keep improving but as you pointed out he will cop some beatings along the way by the competition better rucks.

I am resigned to the fact that the Bulldogs are the Boeing 737max of the football industry!

Happy Days
22-03-2020, 12:37 PM
So one point of concern is that this is now two games in a row where our midfield (which on paper is the best in the game) has been outworked by a lesser, injury affected group. I understand that English got totally monstered by Grundy but that also happened twice last year in games that were far closer.

I don't think it's a matter of a lack of extractors or "toughness". I think it's a lack of workrate and maybe a bit of arrogance that is starkly reminiscent of the days of Matt Boyd getting 30 touches while letting his man get 35 and a couple of goals. We need to be far more accountable, especially in situations where we effectively concede the ruck. I don't really know how to fix this short of yelling at Bont, Macrae and Dunkley for several straight hours and maybe opening up the midfield rotations (what the hell did McLean do to effectively have his career nerfed) but it's a massive concern when your best players are the ones letting you down.

I would do the following:

In: McLean, Trengove, Schache

Out: Gardner, Gardner, Gardner, Gardner, Gardner GARDNER GARDNER NEVER AGAIN GARDNER, Young, Dale.

If Lipinski is right then he can come in for Cavarra.

bornadog
22-03-2020, 01:29 PM
So one point of concern is that this is now two games in a row where our midfield (which on paper is the best in the game) has been outworked by a lesser, injury affected group. I understand that English got totally monstered by Grundy but that also happened twice last year in games that were far closer.

I don't think it's a matter of a lack of extractors or "toughness". I think it's a lack of workrate and maybe a bit of arrogance that is starkly reminiscent of the days of Matt Boyd getting 30 touches while letting his man get 35 and a couple of goals. We need to be far more accountable, especially in situations where we effectively concede the ruck. I don't really know how to fix this short of yelling at Bont, Macrae and Dunkley for several straight hours and maybe opening up the midfield rotations (what the hell did McLean do to effectively have his career nerfed) but it's a massive concern when your best players are the ones letting you down.

I would do the following:

In: McLean, Trengove, Schache

Out: Gardner, Gardner, Gardner, Gardner, Gardner GARDNER GARDNER NEVER AGAIN GARDNER, Young, Dale.

If Lipinski is right then he can come in for Cavarra.

HD, I agree with your assessment of the midfield. The same thing happened in the elimination final, the mids got killed and we were starved of opportunity in the Forward 50.

However, do you think we are going in too tall with your ins and outs?

Happy Days
22-03-2020, 01:55 PM
HD, I agree with your assessment of the midfield. The same thing happened in the elimination final, the mids got killed and we were starved of opportunity in the Forward 50.

However, do you think we are going in too tall with your ins and outs?

I think that Dale and Schache are pretty similar as players despite Schache being 6ft 6, and it's not like Schache isn't mobile. So I'm looking at it as two talls out for one in.

bornadog
22-03-2020, 02:01 PM
I think that Dale and Schache are pretty similar as players despite Schache being 6ft 6, and it's not like Schache isn't mobile. So I'm looking at it as two talls out for one in.

Fair enough.