PDA

View Full Version : AFL Suspends games till May

bornadog
22-03-2020, 05:43 PM
That is it season over for now.

Edit: Should have mentioned, AFLW finishes up with no team declared premiers. Freo unlucky as they were undefeated.

Happy Days
22-03-2020, 05:50 PM
Wow looks like intentionally losing that game to Collingwood by 10 goals was all part of the master plan to get pick one and Jamarra. Bevo's done it again.

Grantysghost
22-03-2020, 05:53 PM
Wow looks like intentionally losing that game to Collingwood by 10 goals was all part of the master plan to get pick one and Jamarra. Bevo's done it again.

Gold Coast said hold my beer.

comrade
22-03-2020, 05:55 PM
GVG, if there was ever a time you needed some sort of financial contribution from us, this might be it. I’m more than happy to donate towards your running costs to keep WOOF going and I’m sure I’m not alone.

GVGjr
22-03-2020, 06:03 PM
GVG, if there was ever a time you needed some sort of financial contribution from us, this might be it. I’m more than happy to donate towards your running costs to keep WOOF going and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Here I was thinking we should shut the forum down for a month or so given the news from Gil.

All good comrade and of course I'm very appreciative of the offer of support but it's covered nicely at the moment.

I suspect it's going to get very quiet on here though because without players training etc news stories which drive conversations here will just dry up

I'm just feeling for all the people associated with the industry, it's going to be exceptionally hard yards for so many people.Quiet times on a forum just doesn't add up at the moment.

comrade
22-03-2020, 06:11 PM
Here I was thinking we should shut the forum down for a month or so given the news from Gil.

All good comrade and of course I'm very appreciative of the offer of support but it's covered nicely at the moment.

I suspect it's going to get very quiet on here though because without players training etc news stories which drive conversations here will just dry up

I'm just feeling for all the people associated with the industry, it's going to be exceptionally hard yards for so many people.Quiet times on a forum just doesn't add up at the moment.

Good to hear mate, maybe we can use WOOF in a way that will help people who are struggling. Set up some zoom calls, maybe watch some old games together, promote each other’s businesses or help uncover some opportunities for those doing it tough financially. Run an online book club, I dunno.

Coming together as a collective with a shared love of the Bulldogs is going to be important over the next few months.

bornadog
22-03-2020, 06:40 PM
Good to hear mate, maybe we can use WOOF in a way that will help people who are struggling. Set up some zoom calls, maybe watch some old games together, promote each other’s businesses or help uncover some opportunities for those doing it tough financially. Run an online book club, I dunno.

Coming together as a collective with a shared love of the Bulldogs is going to be important over the next few months.

Great suggestions there Comrade.

Ditto on helping out financially for the forum, if it is needed.

bornadog
22-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Going to be interesting to see what the players will do for the next two months? A long time to try and stay fit on your own.

No doubt lots of staff at the club will either lose jobs or forced to use their annual leave. I know Essendon has alreaday cut into the membership department, which is fair enough, but now this is a new ball game (so to speak)

I know my wife's niece who is a development coach at Melbourne Rebels has been forced to work from home - not much to do actually. Not sure on how she is surviving with rent to pay etc.

bornadog
22-03-2020, 06:50 PM
Danny McGinlay
@dannymcginlay

I think it’s only fair that the AFL also null and void all the Round 1 results and start fresh when we come back in May/June.

GVGjr
22-03-2020, 07:13 PM
I don't think training and maintaining fitness etc will be an issue with the players I'm sure there are some options for them
The challenge will be keeping many of them mentally stimulated and focused.

bornadog
22-03-2020, 07:14 PM
I don't think training and maintaining fitness etc will be an issue with the players I'm sure there are some options for them
The challenge will be keeping many of them mentally stimulated and focused.

Would be tough though if you put yourself in their position.

GVGjr
22-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Would be tough though if you put yourself in their position.

The people that use this time effectively will gain a benefit and that's not just the footballers its for everyone in society, the ones that focus on other things will go backwards. We are a social group but we now need to adjust for a period of time

The determined ones in our playing group should be OK

The club can help them all with the planning. This period of social isolation will only get the better of you if you let it and it's vastly better than getting the virus. Using my time positively is my aim.

I've gone to the extent of planning out meals based on what we have in the fridge, freezer and pantry and and a list of tasks I want to achieve once I'm told I have to work from home. I've even organised some books to read and an online course to keep me focused.

Danny the snakeman
22-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Probably a good thing after fri nights effort.

SonofScray
23-03-2020, 12:22 AM
2020 season will go down as an exercise in folly. It should never have even started.

angelopetraglia
23-03-2020, 10:44 PM
In tough economic times we need escapism even more. We need our heroes. We have an even deeper need to belong to something bigger than ourselves. Think of Phar Lap and Bradman and the Great Depression.

This year we are being robbed of our footy teams, our sporting heroes, our Olympic moments, our community clubs, our children’s sport ... bloody tough no matter which way you look at it.

comrade
23-03-2020, 11:00 PM
In tough economic times we need escapism even more. We need our heroes. We have an even deeper need to belong to something bigger than ourselves. Think of Phar Lap and Bradman and the Great Depression.

This year we are being robbed of our footy teams, our sporting heroes, our Olympic moments, our community clubs, our children’s sport ... bloody tough no matter which way you look at it.

All true, yet on the flip side when this is all over, we won't be so quick to take for granted the simple joys of having a coffee with a mate in a favourite cafe, or enjoying a movie at the cinema with a loved one, or seeing the Bont in full flight with fellow Dogs fans cheering him on.

SonofScray
25-03-2020, 11:22 PM
I think we'll see some real damage and a significant philosophical divide about "where to from here" between key stakeholders in the game when this blows over.

Huge changes on the horizon.

bornadog
26-03-2020, 12:03 AM
I think we'll see some real damage and a significant philosophical divide about "where to from here" between key stakeholders in the game when this blows over.

Huge changes on the horizon.

Any predictions?

SonofScray
26-03-2020, 08:54 AM
Any predictions?

We'll get the lock out/sit down that the AFLPA have threatened every time their Agreement is up for grabs. The industry has a taste for what no footy looks like so there is some tangible stuff to leverage now.

We'll get stuck with the shorter games, shorter season.

Mergers/relocations back in the conversation. Might see some licenses taken back.

I think we'll see the "big clubs" get restless and start throwing some stupid ideas around that will likely put us at some sort of disadvantage. Super League?

1eyedog
26-03-2020, 10:01 AM
There will not be games in May or April or June or July. This will continue to grow and be untenable even with social distancing measures in place and there will be even higher risk as we enter our winter months. Why would you start a footy season halfway through the year and potentially undo all the hard work you've done previously?

Bulldog4life
26-03-2020, 10:26 AM
There will not be games in May or April or June or July. This will continue to grow and be untenable even with social distancing measures in place and there will be even higher risk as we enter our winter months. Why would you start a footy season halfway through the year and potentially undo all the hard work you've done previously?

Agree the May start is pie in the sky. Not even the experts know when this will be over for sure.

The Pie Man
26-03-2020, 11:32 AM

What's the traffic been like the past few days? I've noticed I'm on here way more - I used to pick up my phone as a distraction from reality, now it's the other way around - and WOOF is about the only site that doesn't stress me out!

westdog54
26-03-2020, 12:09 PM
What's the traffic been like the past few days? I've noticed I'm on here way more - I used to pick up my phone as a distraction from reality, now it's the other way around - and WOOF is about the only site that doesn't stress me out!

Weirdly enough, I think I've been more active on WOOF in the past 2 weeks than I have in the last 6 months.

Like others, I guess I need the distraction.

GVGjr
26-03-2020, 12:15 PM

Been ticking over nicely but you would have to expect it will get quiet when we get into winter. It's not just footy but all sports
Just to confirm we won't be shutting the forum not even for a brief period. Twodogs will kick me in the shins...of course in a socially distancing appropriate manner :)

I've just realised I don't need the Foxtel sports package now and can cancel the Telstra fee for the tablet that I normally take to the footy
I probably don't need the subscription to the Herald Sun either. That might save me $70 a month

Bulldog Joe
26-03-2020, 12:18 PM
Weirdly enough, I think I've been more active on WOOF in the past 2 weeks than I have in the last 6 months.

Like others, I guess I need the distraction.

Different for me.

Been somewhat overwhelmed with life outside sport and struggled to even bear to contemplate, particularly after the disaster we served up in Round 1.

Bulldog4life
26-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Been ticking over nicely but you would have to expect it will get quiet when we get into winter. It's not just footy but all sports
Just to confirm we won't be shutting the forum not even for a brief period. Twodogs will kick me in the shins...of course in a socially distancing appropriate manner :)

I've just realised I don't need the Foxtel sports package now and can cancel the Telstra fee for the tablet I normally take to the footy
I probably don't need the subscription to the Herald Sun either. That might save me $70 a month

Been trying to cancel my sports package with Foxtel on line. Won't let me do it. When I rang I was told there is an hour wait.:(

Axe Man
26-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Foxtel makes life a little easier with more content, more screens (https://www.foxtel.com.au/about/media-centre/press-releases/2020/foxtel-makes-life-a-little-easier.html)

Foxtel today announced a series of initiatives to make life a little easier for Australians as they spend more time at home to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Foxtel Group Chief Executive Officer Patrick Delany said: “We have heard from our customers that during these challenging times, one of the things that really makes a difference is being able to keep the whole family entertained, informed and connected as they settle in at home.

“We’re all in this together and we want them to know that Foxtel is there for them. These initiatives provide customers with an even better entertainment experience in their homes with more content, access on more screens and more data, all at no extra charge.”

Effective from today until 31 May, Foxtel customers will have access to:

- More content with access to Foxtel’s full range of Drama, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Documentaries, Reality and Kids2 TV channels and on demand libraries3.

- Customers will have access to Multiscreen4, giving expanded access to watch on up to two additional devices at the same time including casting the Foxtel GO4 app to additional TVs.

- Foxtel Now customers will have Drama Extra, Docos, Pop, Lifestyle and Kids added to their Essentials, Pop or Lifestyle packs.

- Unlimited broadband data for all Foxtel Broadband and Foxtel nbn customers who are on monthly data allowances for streaming and home internet without limits.5

The initiatives are available to Foxtel customers including those that subscribe to Foxtel through Telstra and Optus.

Mr Delany added: “With these changes we are making thousands of hours of additional live and on demand content available to our customers. I want to acknowledge the support we have received from all our content partners to make this happen including Discovery, BBC Studios, ViacomCBS, Turner, NBC Universal and National Geographic.

“This is also a time when staying informed is more important than ever. All our customers will have access to Foxtel’s full range of news services including Sky News and the dedicated Sky News COVID-19 news channel along with international news from CNN, FOX News, BBC World News, Sky News UK, CNBC and Bloomberg Television.

“For kids who are spending more time at home, the additional range of documentary content including BBC Earth and National Geographic will help them continue to learn more about the world around us.

“Our call centres are working hard to prioritise callers with an immediate need and we appreciate our customers’ patience and support as we navigate the current challenges ourselves.”

The additional content means customers will have more to watch as they settle in to enjoy the world’s best entertainment across multiple genres.

This includes new series such as Mrs America starring Cate Blanchett and Rose Byrne, mystery thriller Devs and new seasons of Westworld, The Walking Dead, Outlander, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Selling Houses Australia, Cosmos: Possible Worlds and The Great British Bake Off.

Customers will also be able to catch up on entire seasons and box sets of recent hit series such as Game of Thrones, Succession, Tim Minchin’s Upright and His Dark Materials, along with comedy evergreens including Friends, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family and Seinfeld.

Customers do not need to activate the changes. The additional tiers of content, multiscreen and unlimited broadband will be opened up by Foxtel this morning allowing customers to enjoy the premium content and features immediately until 31 May.

Foxtel remains focused on on keeping customers connected and urges customers to visit the updated support pages for any non-urgent queries as we try to prioritise service for those in immediate need. Online services are available at foxtel.com.au/update.

Axe Man
26-03-2020, 12:52 PM
Been trying to cancel my sports package with Foxtel on line. Won't let me do it. When I rang I was told there is an hour wait.:(

Not sure how it's going to work since they are giving everyone most of the channels other than movies. You could cancel sport but still have access to it until the end of May.

Twodogs
26-03-2020, 01:00 PM

I've just realised I don't need the Foxtel sports package now and can cancel the Telstra tablet fee that I normally take to the footy

Damn straight I would!

These are our people and abandoning them isn't on the agenda. Especially not now.

Axe Man
26-03-2020, 01:12 PM

I've just realised I don't need the Foxtel sports package now and can cancel the Telstra tablet fee that I normally take to the footy

I reckon the shin kicking championships will probably get a run on fox sports over the coming months, don't be too hasty.

Bulldog4life
26-03-2020, 01:25 PM
Not sure how it's going to work since they are giving everyone most of the channels other than movies. You could cancel sport but still have access to it until the end of May.

True thanks Axe.

EasternWest
26-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Different for me.

Been somewhat overwhelmed with life outside sport and struggled to even bear to contemplate, particularly after the disaster we served up in Round 1.

Hey BJ I hope you're going ok mate.

GVGjr
02-04-2020, 10:56 PM

Just looking at some stats and unfortunately it's still a steep decline each year

During the month of March we started by having about 80 WOOF members logging on each day but the last week of the month we were down to just 60 people logging on and viewing the site. The volume of discussions are still mainly being generated by a small but highly enthusiastic group. Interesting is some people are logging on multiple times during the day (8 to 10 times) but they aren't necessarily contributing to discussions.

If I'm reading this trend correctly, and without footy being played to help generate discussions, it could get very quiet by the end of the month.

jeemak
02-04-2020, 11:08 PM
Just looking at some stats and unfortunately it's still a steep decline each year

During the month of March we started by having about 80 WOOF members logging on each day but the last week of the month we were down to just 60 people logging on and viewing the site. The volume of discussions are still mainly being generated by a small but highly enthusiastic group. Interesting is some people are logging on multiple times during the day (8 to 10 times) but they aren't necessarily contributing to discussions.

If I'm reading this trend correctly, and without footy being played to help generate discussions, it could get very quiet by the end of the month.

What's the baseline G for a decent month? Do you have the stats for when things were reasonable when footy was on, but things were not going well on field? Let's say for instance, half way through last year?

I know it's tough mate.

GVGjr
02-04-2020, 11:27 PM
What's the baseline G for a decent month? Do you have the stats for when things were reasonable when footy was on, but things were not going well on field? Let's say for instance, half way through last year?

I know it's tough mate.

I'll have another look at it. Normally we have about 120 WOOF members logging on most days during the season but that can be as high as 170. 120 members are still logging on but there are about 40 not logging as regularly. It's a bit moot anyway because typically they're not contributing to discussions except for the odd one from time to time.
I thought with more people home it might have kicked up a bit but it's perhaps trending the other way

Bulldog4life
03-04-2020, 11:55 AM
According to a medical friend of mine the tsunami of coronavirus cases will hit in June so May is out when we start footy...if we do at all this year.

bornadog
16-04-2020, 04:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVsyjiYU4AUeEeZ?format=jpg&name=large

hujsh
16-04-2020, 04:58 PM
...so who chose that picture?

bulldogtragic
16-04-2020, 05:19 PM

A now former graphics designer I'd bet.

Axe Man
16-04-2020, 05:24 PM

Looks like he just saw Neil Balme naked.

bornadog
16-04-2020, 05:49 PM
Draft is confirmed for this year.

Twodogs
16-04-2020, 07:23 PM

Did you see him on C7 news just now? He looked like the Ancient Mariner yelling at people at weddings.