PDA

View Full Version : Favourite fringe bulldogs

Mofra
24-03-2020, 12:23 PM
Apologies if this has been done before, but like most posters I did develop a completely nonsensical, irrational fondness for some players who were fringe for their entire career.

Exhibit A: Cam Wight. 200cm, amazing runner, but prone to at least one massive brainfade every game he player.

Steve Tiller - was just not quite big enough for the role he played.

Damian McCormack, showed glimpses and played quite a lot of good VFL football.

EasternWest
24-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Dylan Addison ��.

I was a Tiller fan also.

bornadog
24-03-2020, 12:41 PM
I will admit :D Spindles was a favourite for awhile there. Not sure if he is fringe as he played 81 games for us and kicked 84 goals

bulldogtragic
24-03-2020, 12:43 PM
Jarrad Grant
Shane Birss
Peter Street

hujsh
24-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Old Skipper. Saw those 5 goals and thought maybe, just maybe, he can be our forward ruck.

Brennan Stack (a-go-go) was a fun ride while it lasted.

Mofra
24-03-2020, 01:05 PM
Old Skipper. Saw those 5 goals and thought maybe, just maybe, he can be our forward ruck.
Poor Wade. A ruckman in a KPP's body.

Twodogs
24-03-2020, 01:05 PM
Les Bamblett. We only got one good season out of him but what a season it was.

Mofra
24-03-2020, 01:07 PM
This might be the thread to remind everyone that Lukas Markovic once placed in our top 10 for the B&F

comrade
24-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Jarrod Boumann.

Axe Man
24-03-2020, 01:20 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/BnXTkz2W/s-l500.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Glenn Coleman's locks were pretty luscious. This is a thread about favourite Bulldog fringes right?

The Underdog
24-03-2020, 01:37 PM
Andrew McDougall. Still might be the saviour.
Doogs Droogs might be still meeting in secret.

Sedat
24-03-2020, 01:42 PM
Jarrod Boumann. I don't think there has been a more enduring bromance than Comrade and Jarrad Boumann :D

No prizes for guessing that Cheesy Barlow was my all-time favourite fringe player. I was seat 1A on that bandwagon and there were always plenty of empty seats :D

Happy Days
24-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Great content. That moment where Jarrad Grant ended Josh Bootsma's career and life with his 4th goal against Carlton was unironically my favourite moment at the football until 2016.

Some other nominations:

Brodie Moles mainly for his twitter presence before he lost his damn mind.

Patrick Veszpremi - could still make it!

Brad Wira - any friend of Chris Grant's is a friend of mine

bulldogtragic
24-03-2020, 01:53 PM
The Ugg

Almost Thread Over.

Mofra
24-03-2020, 02:03 PM
Does Tim Walsh count?

Career stats: 1 games, 1 kick, 1 goal.

bornadog
24-03-2020, 02:20 PM
Does Tim Walsh count?

Career stats: 1 games, 1 kick, 1 goal.

You do him an injustice, he had 2 kicks and one handball plus the goal :D

jeemak
24-03-2020, 02:22 PM
I always thought Peter Quill was going to be a bigger contributor than he actually was, and I can't actually remember why Jason Watts fell of a cliff after the 1996 season.

Happy Days
24-03-2020, 02:38 PM
I always thought Peter Quill was going to be a bigger contributor than he actually was, and I can't actually remember why Jason Watts fell of a cliff after the 1996 season.

Needed to clear out of the kitchen to let the Captain Cook.

(I don’t know the real reason)

chef
24-03-2020, 02:38 PM
Brennan Stack au go go.

Axe Man
24-03-2020, 02:47 PM
I don't think there has been a more enduring bromance than Comrade and Jarrad Boumann :D

No prizes for guessing that Cheesy Barlow was my all-time favourite fringe player. I was seat 1A on that bandwagon and there were always plenty of empty seats :D

No love for your big Turkish namesake?

Sedat
24-03-2020, 02:59 PM
No love for your big Turkish namesake?
Hehe - not after he was outmarked in the goal square by Chad Morrison at the WACA in that crazy game in 1998 when we kicked the first 8 goals and somehow were behind at 1/2 time.

Mofra
24-03-2020, 03:21 PM
I don't remember much of him, but he was a Parkside boy so - Zeno Tzatzaris

Sedat
24-03-2020, 04:08 PM
I don't remember much of him, but he was a Parkside boy so - Zeno Tzatzaris
Late in the 1989 Brownlow Medal count, Zeno got the 3 votes in an 8 goal loss againat the Cats. Of course all eyes were on Paul Couch, who was near the top of the leaderboard, and Zeno's name was read out the entire room started laughing.

Rocket Science
24-03-2020, 05:03 PM
I was convinced, CONVINCED, Kieran Collins would be the second coming of Tits Kennedy and Brian Lake rolled into one.

Alas I wanted it more than he did.

Mofra
24-03-2020, 05:44 PM
I have to admit, even after he left us I hoped Shane Birss would kick on at St Kilda.

I still get the feeling he'd look back at his time in the AFL and could honestly say "I gave it everything". Poor guy battled depression post career when he was playing SANFL football (and by all reports, playing it well).

azabob
24-03-2020, 06:50 PM
As a kid growing up it was Matthew Hogg, I even went as far as getting #43 on my back.

The one I was most vocal about was Patrick Bowden. Seemed to have the world at his feet talent wise, I guess application wise not so much.

westdog54
24-03-2020, 08:21 PM

Brennan Stack (a-go-go) was a fun ride while it lasted.

My favourite Skipper moment is not the 5 goals, but an at-the-death mark and goal against StKilda in 2007 for what (We thought) was the winning goal after a late game comeback.

Sadly, about a minute later, Jason Gram managed to hit Nick Riewoldt 50 out with a 60 metre kick while Roo was running back with the flight of the ball. (Its one of the most impressive marks I've seen live, to be fair).

The resulting kick went through for a behind, and Jordan McMahon had barely kicked it in to himself before the siren rang with the scores level.

Of all the people I felt bad for that night, I felt worst for Skip. He had his moment snatched away from him.

Happy Days
24-03-2020, 09:18 PM
My favourite Skipper moment is not the 5 goals, but an at-the-death mark and goal against StKilda in 2007 for what (We thought) was the winning goal after a late game comeback.

Sadly, about a minute later, Jason Gram managed to hit Nick Riewoldt 50 out with a 60 metre kick while Roo was running back with the flight of the ball. (Its one of the most impressive marks I've seen live, to be fair).

The resulting kick went through for a behind, and Jordan McMahon had barely kicked it in to himself before the siren rang with the scores level.

Of all the people I felt bad for that night, I felt worst for Skip. He had his moment snatched away from him.

This is obviously a lie. The Bulldogs didn't play a single game in 2007 as I remember it.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-03-2020, 09:36 PM
Rod McPherson

GVGjr
24-03-2020, 11:12 PM

I rated Quill.

comrade
25-03-2020, 08:25 AM
This is obviously a lie. The Bulldogs didn't play a single game in 2007 as I remember it.

One of all time disappointing seasons after the hype of 2005/2006.

Mofra
25-03-2020, 10:13 AM
I rated Quill.
I saw him at a game a few years ago, a friend of mine went up to say hello and he was in equal parts shocked to be recognised and happy to chat.

I tend to have an even softer spot for ex players who still attend games. I remember in one of Lachie Hunter's first games we were sitting near mark Hunter and everyone around was cheering Mark whenever Lachie did something well.

The Pie Man
25-03-2020, 12:21 PM
Keiran McGuiness - how he went from 3 goals on debut to a struggling HBF (and even relief ruck at one point) still irks me.

Twodogs
25-03-2020, 12:46 PM
Did Peter Quill have a day out on a really good player? I think it was an interstate match.

Or am I thinking of Kim Koster?

bulldogtragic
25-03-2020, 12:55 PM
Luke Beveridge
Sam Power

Mofra
25-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Keiran McGuiness - how he went from 3 goals on debut to a struggling HBF (and even relief ruck at one point) still irks me.
Does anyone else remember that pre-season game on Harris when he kicked 3 goals to get everyone excited?

bornadog
25-03-2020, 01:51 PM
Did Peter Quill have a day out on a really good player? I think it was an interstate match.

Or am I thinking of Kim Koster?

Here is some trivia, under past players there are only two surnames starting with Q, and only one current player

Axe Man
25-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Here is some trivia, under past players there are only two surnames starting with Q, and only one current player

So you are saying we need to recruit Issac Quaynor to keep our monopoly on Q players?

Sedat
25-03-2020, 04:10 PM
One of all time disappointing seasons after the hype of 2005/2006.
We were 9-6 after 15 rounds and really getting into the groove of the 2007 season. We then stopped as if shot, losing 6 (smashed in some of them) and drawing 1 after that.

Mofra
25-03-2020, 05:05 PM
So you are saying we need to recruit Issac Quaynor to keep our monopoly on Q players?
We were linked to Quentin Narke over the trade period too.

kruder
25-03-2020, 06:42 PM
Ah Mark West just off the back of the prelim 1997

josie
25-03-2020, 07:58 PM
Very recent- I was so hoping Lukas Webb would make it, however injuries and possibly inability to find enough of the ball were his downfalls whilst he played for us. He nearly always looked so good in vfl - a real smooth mover and lovely kick. Quite decent in midfield too at vfl level. Hope he gets another go at it if AFL does play again in 2020 and clubs are allowed to pick top ups.

The Pie Man
25-03-2020, 09:59 PM
Does anyone else remember that pre-season game on Harris when he kicked 3 goals to get everyone excited?

I don’t, but I remember seeing Patrick Wiggins kick a handful in an intra-club years ago and thought ‘finally, that big forward...’

The Pie Man
25-03-2020, 10:00 PM
Ah Mark West just off the back of the prelim 1997

Had him pegged as more a cult figure.

Imagine how we’d feel about that side if ....

Jeanette54
26-03-2020, 04:58 PM
Going back a while, but John Miles.

Came in against Carlton, when the resident back pocket player Gordon Casey or Ray Walker (can't remember) and played a superb game against a top side alongside John Reilly. I think played half a dozen games over his career, but none reached the height of his debut

Mofra
26-03-2020, 05:49 PM
We had a defender named Nicholson who played a handful of games for us, wore no 9. I thought he'd go on to play a lot of football with us, I'm not sure what happened. Small defender IIRC.

Mitcha
26-03-2020, 05:51 PM
Great topic.
My first one was Stan Davidson who from memory played about 50 games for us after coming from Gippsland way. Was never the most talented but always had a crack. Mark West was great to watch and prior to him making his senior debut I used to get to the ground early to watch him in the Ressies. Circled the square at centre bounces and charged in and if you got in his way, bad luck.

Axe Man
26-03-2020, 06:03 PM
We had a defender named Nicholson who played a handful of games for us, wore no 9. I thought he'd go on to play a lot of football with us, I'm not sure what happened. Small defender IIRC.

Are you talking about Brad Nicholson in the 90s? Wasn't so much a small defender, more of a medium or undersized key defender from memory (we do love an undersized key defender).

Twodogs
26-03-2020, 07:14 PM

Did his knee horrifically at VFL Park. The consultant surgeon at Monash medical centre where they rushed him after the injury said it was the worst cruciate injury he had ever seen. He said it was worse than most motorbike accidents.

chef
26-03-2020, 07:39 PM
Did his knee horrifically at VFL Park. The consultant surgeon at Monash medical centre where they rushed him after the injury said it was the worst cruciate injury he had ever seen. He said it was worse than most motorbike accidents.

Wasnt that Adrian Campbell?

bulldogtragic
26-03-2020, 07:44 PM

The Glove!

Edit: No. Tony Campbell.

Axe Man
26-03-2020, 07:46 PM
The Glove!

That was Tony Campbell. This thread is getting confusing!

Twodogs
26-03-2020, 07:47 PM

Yep, you are right.

bulldogtragic
26-03-2020, 07:49 PM
53 posts, no Ilija Grgic?

Post 54 then.

GVGjr
26-03-2020, 08:36 PM

As others have mentioned, Brad Nicholson he was about 187cm from memory. Undersized but battled away. Not quick enough for a flank, a bit too light for a key position player. I can recall seeing him in a game at the Skinner reserve and thought he might be OK.

Happy Days
26-03-2020, 08:45 PM
53 posts, no Ilija Grgic?

Post 54 then.

Before my time but his AFL Tables page confounds me. He was huge, young and had multiple games with many goals. Why did we give up on him?

GVGjr
26-03-2020, 09:20 PM
Before my time but his AFL Tables page confounds me. He was huge, young and had multiple games with many goals. Why did we give up on him?

Not 100% sure but I think we were making room for Luke Darcy because we didn't think we could play Wynd, Grgic and Darcy in the same team. Whatever you do, don't look at the trade we did with West Coast for his services

bulldogtragic
26-03-2020, 09:21 PM

I was a fan and his trade surprised me. From memory he was a little inconsistent and injured in his last year. The trade was pretty sweet in theory, a kid who was a first round draftee (who I think we delisted) and thankfully a good pick we got Matty Dent with, who is one of my all time favourites and winner of the thread for the hardest head to pull on our jumper. Which I guess was too good to refuse as a trade.

Unfortunately Ilija failed to really fire at WCE and then Essendon gave him a last chance and he didn't fire a shot there either.

Sedat
26-03-2020, 09:23 PM
As others have mentioned, Brad Nicholson he was about 187cm from memory. Undersized but battled away. Not quick enough for a flank, a bit too light for a key position player. I can recall seeing him in a game at the Skinner reserve and thought he might be OK.
He was good enough to win a rising star nonination in his first year in 1993. I recall Derek Kickett gave him a bath late in that season when he kicked 8 goals on him.

GVGjr
26-03-2020, 09:25 PM
I was a fan and his trade surprised me. From memory he was a little inconsistent and injured in his last year. The trade was pretty sweet in theory, a kid who was a first round draftee (who I think we delisted) and thankfully a good pick we got Matty Dent with, who is one of my all time favourites and winner of the thread for the hardest head to pull on our jumper. Which I guess was too good to refuse as a trade.

Unfortunately Ilija failed to really fire at WCE and then Essendon gave him a last chance and he didn't fire a shot there either.

We delisted him in between when we traded for him and the first game of the next season. Not our finest effort

bulldogtragic
26-03-2020, 09:27 PM
Not 100% sure but I think we were making room for Luke Darcy and we didn't think we could play Wynd, Grgic and Darcy in the same team. Whatever you do, don't look at the trade we did with West Coast for his services

Ouch... But theory was good though. Luckily we got a few good years out of Matty Dent, so we came out ahead. I forgot the kids name, do you remember why we was cut?

Twodogs
26-03-2020, 09:28 PM

I grew up around the corner from Big Monster. The day of the 1994 QF V Geelong (I think that it was our first ever night final) and I am prowling around the house like a cat on a hot tin roof. After a couple of hours my mum says to me "For Christ's sake. Put the *!*!*!*!ing leash on the *!*!*!*!ing dog and get outside and work through some of that excess *!*!*!*!ing energy" so I am walking the dog when from around the corner comes this HUGE form. It's Ijlia. Walking his dog. He was playing that night and his mum had thrown him out of the house. As we walked past one another, we nodded and he said "Your mum's chucked you out too?"

GVGjr
26-03-2020, 09:33 PM
Ouch... But theory was good though. Luckily we got a few good years out of Matty Dent, so we came out ahead. I forgot the kids name, do you remember why we was cut?

Luke Trew. Drafted as a 17yo at pick 14, traded to us as an 18yo as part of the Grgic swap, delisted by us a few months later and redrafted as a rookie (we needed a spot on the senior list) and then Essendon drafted him at 19yo as a rookie.
3 clubs in 3 years.....sound likes Twodogs social life back in the day :)

Happy Days
26-03-2020, 09:37 PM
Luke Trew. Drafted as a 17yo at pick 14, traded to us as an 18yo as part of the Grgic swap, delisted by us a few months later and redrafted as a rookie (we needed a spot on the senior list) and then Essendon drafted him at 19yo as a rookie.

I gave him a quick Google - I can't see the news article behind a paywall but the lede "Luke Trew appeared in custody at Geelong Magistrates' Court yesterday accused of being responsible for a series of bizarre and violent incidents ..." has me pretty close to subscribing.

GVGjr
26-03-2020, 09:39 PM
I gave him a quick Google - I can't see the news article behind a paywall but the lede "Luke Trew appeared in custody at Geelong Magistrates' Court yesterday accused of being responsible for a series of bizarre and violent incidents ..." has me pretty close to subscribing.

If you have the link I should be able to add the article, you don't always need the subscription

bornadog
26-03-2020, 09:41 PM

Also faced 37 charges in 2015 - not sure as again paywall

GVGjr
26-03-2020, 09:43 PM
If you have the link I should be able to add the article, you don't always need the subscription

Scratch that, It's a bit more difficult than I thought
It's fair to say he had some challenges

jeemak
26-03-2020, 10:08 PM
Someone has to be a subscriber!!!

GVGjr
26-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Luke Trew (12th of March 2019)

A FORMER AFL footballer called police to tell them “someone is going to die tonight” before confronting his uncle, a court has heard.

Luke Trew appeared in custody at Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday accused of being responsible for a series of bizarre and violent incidents in the Apollo Bay area on February 24.

The 41-year-old is facing various charges including aggravated burglary after he was arrested at his uncle’s home in Marengo that morning.

Mr Trew was drafted to the West Coast Eagles in 1995 and later spent time with the Western Bulldogs and Essendon, but never managed a senior AFL game.

Police allege the Apollo Bay man initially attacked a woman known to him, choking her and leaving her unable to breathe for several seconds.

Geelong family violence investigation unit Senior Constable Daniel Hose told the court Mr Trew then grabbed two knives, using one to cut his own face before placing a knife in his pants and saying he was going to “sort stuff” with his uncle.

Around 5am the same day, Mr Trew allegedly phoned police and told a senior constable someone was going to die. Soon after the call, police allege Mr Trew forced open the front door of his uncle’s home and told him he was going to cut his throat.

Sen-Constable Hose said the ex-footballer grabbed his uncle’s phone to prevent him from calling for help, however officers were already aware of Mr Trew’s movements and arrested him at the scene.

Police opposed Mr Trew’s application for bail yesterday, with Sen-Constable Hose telling the court the uncle remained “deeply in fear” of his nephew.

Defence lawyer Adrian Paull said his client required urgent treatment for mental health issues that would be better served out of custody.

Damian Hare, a former Victoria Police officer with the Special Operations Group, told the court he was a long-time friend of Mr Trew and that he was confident his mate would abide by bail conditions.

Magistrate Ann McGarvie chose to grant bail, with Mr Trew required to live with his sister in Gisborne and report to police twice a week.

He is also banned from entering Apollo Bay until the court case is finalised.

“This is your best chance of staying out of jail,” Ms McGarvie said.

Mr Trew will return to court in June.

GVGjr
26-03-2020, 10:12 PM
and again

A FORMER AFL footballer will be allowed to line up for Apollo Bay this weekend after convincing a magistrate to vary his bail conditions.

Luke Trew is banned from entering Apollo Bay as part of strict bail conditions stemming from a series of violent incidents that allegedly occurred in February this year.

But the conditions will be relaxed on Saturday to allow the 41-year-old to pull on the boots for Apollo Bay in the Colac and District Football League.

Mr Trew was drafted by the West Coast Eagles at pick 14 in the 1995 draft. He later spent time with Essendon and the Western Bulldogs, but never played a senior AFL game.

Mr Trew joined Apollo Bay in 2016 and has already played two matches with its reserves side this season, however each of those fixtures were held outside the township.

The reserves outfit is currently sixth on the ladder and vying for a finals spot.

Mr Trew appeared briefly in the Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday to apply for the bail variation, which was not opposed by the Office of Public Prosecutions.

Lawyer Adrian Paull said his client had recently undergone a skin cancer operation and that he was working his way back to full fitness.

Mr Trew is facing a string of police charges including aggravated burglary and making a threat to kill.

The allegations stem from February 24, when police claim Mr Trew choked a woman known to him in an attack that left her unable to breathe for several seconds.

It is alleged he later phoned police and said “someone is going to die tonight”, before confronting his uncle inside a Marengo home and telling him he was going to cut his throat.

Mr Trew spent two weeks in custody before being bailed in March, with conditions requiring him to live with his sister in Gisborne and report to police twice a week.

He is due to return to court on September 9 for a committal hearing.

westdog54
26-03-2020, 10:13 PM
*!*!*!*! me he was lucky to walk that day.

Happy Days
26-03-2020, 10:18 PM
Luke Trew (12th of March 2019)

A FORMER AFL footballer called police to tell them “someone is going to die tonight” before confronting his uncle, a court has heard.

Luke Trew appeared in custody at Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday accused of being responsible for a series of bizarre and violent incidents in the Apollo Bay area on February 24.

They really stopped trying with the Saw movies after the first one.

bulldogtragic
26-03-2020, 10:25 PM
*!*!*!*! me he was lucky to walk that day.

My first corro Sergeant told me “its your job to present the evidence, so do that and don’t concern yourself with what the court does with it”. Some of the best advice I got. But bail on that... that’s a special kind of demoralising. If that can’t secure remand, I wonder what you have to do to get remanded. Between this and Brian Lake getting a pass, I wonder if everybody takes domestic violence as seriously as women’s advocates and police.

Sedat
26-03-2020, 10:32 PM
Wasn't Brad Wira also part of the Grgic trade?

GVGjr
26-03-2020, 11:47 PM
Wasn't Brad Wira also part of the Grgic trade?

No Wira was from Fremantle and he was part of a trade packaged with Hugh Remiers for an early pick in 1995.
I think it was something to do with Kym Koster that we used to jump ahead in the draft order to get Allen Jakovich
Wira was seen as a Koster replacement.

There is a bit of reading but this might help. Wira (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?1953-Forward-Planning-The-Age-1995)

Shit, I put up that thread up in 2006. Has WOOF really been around that long?

Mofra
27-03-2020, 09:40 AM
Ilija Grgic onto popped onto our radar when he rocked up to the club and asked if they had any size 16 boots he could buy, as he was a soccer player. I think we took one look at his and thought "now here's an idea"...

westdog54
27-03-2020, 09:44 AM
My first corro Sergeant told me “its your job to present the evidence, so do that and don’t concern yourself with what the court does with it”. Some of the best advice I got. But bail on that... that’s a special kind of demoralising. If that can’t secure remand, I wonder what you have to do to get remanded. Between this and Brian Lake getting a pass, I wonder if everybody takes domestic violence as seriously as women’s advocates and police.

I remember having a particularly bad result at a bail hearing one day, which was followed by an open door, thoroughly underserved chewing out by a sergeant on an unrelated matter.

I was absolutely steaming by the time I headed for the locker room, so when the Inspector saw me and asked how I went at court, I replied, without breaking stride "He's been bailed to live with a co-offender and that's all I've got to say".

I apologised the next day, but he replied, "please don't apologise, I love that you're passionate enough to be angry about it".

GVGjr
27-03-2020, 09:53 AM
Ilija Grgic onto popped onto our radar when he rocked up to the club and asked if they had any size 16 boots he could buy, as he was a soccer player. I think we took one look at his and thought "now here's an idea"...

A goalie I think

bulldogtragic
27-03-2020, 09:57 AM
I remember having a particularly bad result at a bail hearing one day, which was followed by an open door, thoroughly underserved chewing out by a sergeant on an unrelated matter.

I was absolutely steaming by the time I headed for the locker room, so when the Inspector saw me and asked how I went at court, I replied, without breaking stride "He's been bailed to live with a co-offender and that's all I've got to say".

I apologised the next day, but he replied, "please don't apologise, I love that you're passionate enough to be angry about it".

Good Senior Constable. Shit Sergeant. Good Inspector.

Keep safe with your COVID duties. Hopefully that helps/gives you an opportunity with promotion of your seeking it.

Mofra
27-03-2020, 10:52 AM
A goalie I think
Makes logical sense. Good luck kicking around him!

hujsh
27-03-2020, 11:09 AM
Start of thread: Who are your favourite Bulldogs who could never quite cement a best 22 spot?

Thread 5 pages in: And that's the story of how this former AFL footballer escaped justice after threatening to kill someone.

Was quite a journey

Twodogs
27-03-2020, 12:18 PM

Actually Ijlia knew damn well where to get size 16 boots (he hadn't been walking around barefoot for the previous 17 years) but he wanted to draw the footy club's attention so he fronted up to reception and made a point of asking Glenys knowing that she would go and ask Garry Merrington and Garry Merrington would say "Hang on, there is a kid who wants size 16 boots? Why haven't I heard of him already?"

jeemak
27-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Actually Ijlia knew damn well where to get size 16 boots (he hadn't been walking around barefoot for the previous 17 years) but he wanted to draw the footy club's attention so he fronted up to reception and made a point of asking Glenys knowing that she would go and ask Garry Merrington and Garry Merrington would say "Hang on, there is a kid who wants size 16 boots? Why haven't I heard of him already?"

From what I recall it was actually his school teacher/coach at Melbourne High who told him to do this...…..

Happy Days
27-03-2020, 02:22 PM
From what I recall it was actually his school teacher/coach at Melbourne High who told him to do this...…..

Smart fellas at that school I've heard.

azabob
27-03-2020, 07:26 PM

I think you mean Adrian Nicol who broke his leg? He did a major spoil to get the ball out of bounds and held on to win. Maybe against Magpies?

azabob
27-03-2020, 07:29 PM
No Wira was from Fremantle and he was part of a trade packaged with Hugh Remiers for an early pick in 1995.
I think it was something to do with Kym Koster that we used to jump ahead in the draft order to get Allen Jakovich
Wira was seen as a Koster replacement.

There is a bit of reading but this might help. Wira (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?1953-Forward-Planning-The-Age-1995)

Shit, I put up that thread up in 2006. Has WOOF really been around that long?

The 1995 Planing Article you put up and ‘bumped’ recently talks about Wira’s trade. I think Wira and Grant were good mates and Grant was shatted when Wallace traded him.

jeemak
27-03-2020, 08:06 PM
Smart fellas at that school I've heard.

It can be a bit hit and miss.

GVGjr
27-03-2020, 08:26 PM
I think you mean Adrian Nicol who broke his leg? He did a major spoil to get the ball out of bounds and held on to win. Maybe against Magpies?

Aza I think it was Andrew Nicholls? He did a great job on Sav Rocca in a drawn game
Big guy of 196cm

1eyedog
27-03-2020, 08:38 PM
Simon Cox

7 years on the list 56 games great hoof.

Fish was another I loved but he became a staple.

azabob
27-03-2020, 09:39 PM
Aza I think it was Andrew Nicholls? He did a great job on Sav Rocca in a drawn game
Big guy of 196cm

Yeah, that sounds more like it. Such a shame for him as he never got back from the injury.

jeemak
27-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Big guy of 196cm

The Bevo deliberate game...…..

Twodogs
27-03-2020, 10:04 PM
Big guy of 196cm

Dermie was playing for Collingwood and kicked a point that was paid a goal. Or did he kick a goal that was paid a point?

Anyway the game shouldn't have been a draw.

Daughter of the West
29-03-2020, 12:46 PM
Favourite fringe of mine has to be DFA.

The mop of hair, the cute grin, the bucketloads of heart but not the talent to match, the turning circles of a Mack Truck.

Played out the 2010 prelim with broken ribs too (although, it now kind of pales in comparison to Dale Morris and his broken back...).

bulldogtragic
29-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Dermie was playing for Collingwood and kicked a point that was paid a goal. Or did he kick a goal that was paid a point?

Anyway the game shouldn't have been a draw.

Waverley Park I'm pretty sure. Dermie turned and kicked the ball as hard as he could from point blank 1 metre out, except that he put it about a metre or so through the behinds. The goal umpire must have shut his eyes or flinched, and he paid it a goal. One of the worst goal umpiring decisions ever. Dermie went on the Footy Show (I think it was) and freely admitted how bad the decision was.

josie
29-03-2020, 01:03 PM
Any love for Redpath? Loved his bull in a china shop ferocity. Think he was popular amongst players too as he made them feel protected. Like DFA had the turning circle of the QE2. A pretty good kick for goal and not too bad as backup ruck. Possessed Bulldog tenacity to come back from 2 or was it 3 knee recos. I always got excited when Big Red was selected. He was important in a few of those 2016 games that made us make the final 8 (away game against Port comes to mind - he played like Wayne Carey that arvo). Feel he was Hard done by with umpires few times and possibly the solar suspension had a bit to do with curtailment if his career. I made up a “Free Redpath” small banner during one of his suspensions and got a few supporting comments about it.

On Ya Big Red!!

bornadog
29-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Any love for Redpath? Loved his bull in a china shop ferocity. Think he was popular amongst players too as he made them feel protected. Like DFA had the turning circle of the QE2. A pretty good kick for goal and not too bad as backup ruck. Possessed Bulldog tenacity to come back from 2 or was it 3 knee recos. I always got excited when Big Red was selected. He was important in a few of those 2016 games that made us make the final 8 (away game against Port comes to mind - he played like Wayne Carey that arvo). Feel he was Hard done by with umpires few times and possibly the solar suspension had a bit to do with curtailment if his career. I made up a “Free Redpath” small banner during one of his suspensions and got a few supporting comments about it.

On Ya Big Red!!

One of the worst Tribunal decisions of all time: I don't count the Chris Grant suspension, as that was AFL Operations - has never happened before or since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6T2dMpUAxM

Remi Moses
29-03-2020, 01:30 PM
DFA of modern times for me
Boumann, still can’t believe clarkson wanted him at hawthorn
Does the great Kingsley Hunter qualify?
Simon Cox in the 90’s , has the breakthrough year in 97 then went back to the status fringe quo
Brian Perrin for us older farts , had his own fan club with a sign “ bring back Brian Perrin “ The great man Zeno also

Twodogs
29-03-2020, 02:52 PM
Simon Cox in the 90’s , has the breakthrough year in 97 then went back to the status fringe quo
Brian Perrin for us older farts , had his own fan club with a sign “ bring back Brian Perrin “ The great man Zeno also

I reckon that his fan club had two banners. One said "Put Brian Perrin in the Seniors" and the other said "Keep Brian Perrin in the seniors" One day he came into the side as an emergency but his fan club had only bought the "Put Brian Perrin in the seniors'' sign so they didn't know what to do.

Twodogs
29-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Waverley Park I'm pretty sure. Dermie turned and kicked the ball as hard as he could from point blank 1 metre out, except that he put it about a metre or so through the behinds. The goal umpire must have shut his eyes or flinched, and he paid it a goal. One of the worst goal umpiring decisions ever. Dermie went on the Footy Show (I think it was) and freely admitted how bad the decision was.

Yeah I was sitting at that end. It was 1995 just before halftime.

We made the eight that year with a % of 91.5 and we only won 11 games.

EasternWest
29-03-2020, 07:10 PM
Favourite fringe of mine has to be DFA.

The mop of hair, the cute grin, the bucketloads of heart but not the talent to match, the turning circles of a Mack Truck.

Played out the 2010 prelim with broken ribs too (although, it now kind of pales in comparison to Dale Morris and his broken back...).

My people. There's dozens of us! Dozens.

choconmientay
30-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Not sure if they are anyone favorite:
Andrew Hooper (Debut in an AFL Semi-final)
Brodie Moles (Anyone remembers the long bomb to no one in particular :) )
Mitch Honeychurch & Nathan Hrovat (their fate are similar)

Bulldog4life
04-04-2020, 01:54 PM

On Ya Big Red!!

Yes plenty of love from me for Big Red. Underrated for mine. Great lead for a forward and an accurate kick from close in. Agree that the players walked a bit taller when Red was in the team.

josie
04-04-2020, 07:11 PM
Talking about fringe players-I just watched dogs vs lions round 5 2016. Thought Tom Campbell played ok. Always felt he should have been given more chances. Tried his guts out, if he had of kicked straight could have had 3 to 4 goals, instead got 1. Then again North did not play him much in seniors last year with Goldstein still a good ruck. Hope he has more chances with North when games start this, or looking more likely, next year. Still got a soft spot for Big Soup. His second efforts for a big bloke were pretty good. Did not fit the mobile big man mantra we like.

Is it coincidence that Bevo seems to have a bit of a track record of rucks falling out of favour; Minson, Campbell, Roughy and Trengove?

Twodogs
04-04-2020, 07:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPnOVLSvmKw

The mark Les takes at 0.25 is classic Lal. The way that those three Geelong defenders are all standing around and pointing fingers at one another is a classic sign that Les Bamblett has been on the plot.

And at 1:00 Weston thnks "keep it away from Beasley, keep it away from Beasley. Holy shit that's Les Bamblett I've slapped it to"

jazzadogs
30-05-2020, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure if anyone on here has ever seen the website Sporcle? I came across it via a new Twitter account called @AFLquizzes, which links to a bunch of football related quizzes. I then searched 'western bulldogs' to see if there were other Bulldog-related, and there were a few I liked.

Here's an example - name every player that played a game for the Bulldogs between 2000-2009. I got 66/88 which I was disappointed with. Link (https://www.sporcle.com/games/DJDaForce/WesternBulldogs00s)

Remi Moses
30-05-2020, 07:13 PM
Talking about fringe players-I just watched dogs vs lions round 5 2016. Thought Tom Campbell played ok. Always felt he should have been given more chances. Tried his guts out, if he had of kicked straight could have had 3 to 4 goals, instead got 1. Then again North did not play him much in seniors last year with Goldstein still a good ruck. Hope he has more chances with North when games start this, or looking more likely, next year. Still got a soft spot for Big Soup. His second efforts for a big bloke were pretty good. Did not fit the mobile big man mantra we like.

Is it coincidence that Bevo seems to have a bit of a track record of rucks falling out of favour; Minson, Campbell, Roughy and Trengove?

I’m surprised TC didn’t make it as a player
Seemed to have all the tools , but only showed glimpses here and there .

soupman
30-05-2020, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure if anyone on here has ever seen the website Sporcle? I came across it via a new Twitter account called @AFLquizzes, which links to a bunch of football related quizzes. I then searched 'western bulldogs' to see if there were other Bulldog-related, and there were a few I liked.

Here's an example - name every player that played a game for the Bulldogs between 2000-2009. I got 66/88 which I was disappointed with. Link (https://www.sporcle.com/games/DJDaForce/WesternBulldogs00s)

Big fan of sporcle. Great timekiller. I usually go alright on those ones. The post 2010 one i usually get within 5 players of finishing, pre 2010 a bit harder. Other teams is much more difficult, if i can get past 50% I'm very happy.

Just did the 2000 one. Got 82 and all the ones i missed were gettable, including at least one first round draft pick.

SonofScray
01-06-2020, 12:09 AM
Peter Street, still our favourite cult hero. Invited him to my 21st & we still refer to where we sit as the Peter Street Pocket.
Trent Bartlett. We have a first goal kicker competition named after him.
I named a guinea pig after Wayde Skipper.

Spindleshanks, Tiller, Barlow make my list too.

jeemak
01-06-2020, 12:25 AM
If Paddy Vez can still make it Stephen Tiller is a shoe in. 192cm of pure flanker, prime cut.

I saw Christian Howard gather 25 touches in a game and use it well. I decided to give up fringe players after he shat the bed every game after that moment in time.

Shall never be deceived again.

comrade
01-06-2020, 08:46 AM
Peter Street, still our favourite cult hero. Invited him to my 21st & we still refer to where we sit as the Peter Street Pocket.
Trent Bartlett. We have a first goal kicker competition named after him.
I named a guinea pig after Wayde Skipper.

Spindleshanks, Tiller, Barlow make my list too.

Good god, the 2000s were a gold mine for Bulldogs fringe types.

The Underdog
04-06-2020, 12:02 PM
I’ll never stop loving Koby Stevens. Nobody can stop me.