PDA

View Full Version : AFL clubs hope to have membership options within a fortnight

bornadog
26-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Link (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-clubs-hope-to-have-membership-options-within-a-fortnight-20200326-p54e11.html)

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.163%2C$multiply_2.1164%2C$ratio_1.5%2C$width_756%2C$ x_23%2C$y_5/t_crop_custom/q_62%2Cf_auto/ef65996bcce088fda59db66874678f9478bab384

AFL clubs hope to be able to give their members a range of options to consider in the next fortnight as they scramble to make suitable arrangements for supporters in an interrupted season.

Club CEOs including Carlton's Cain Liddle and Richmond's Brendon Gale have been working together to create a uniform position across the 18 clubs with the clubs agreeing early in the piece that it would be not help anyone if wealthier clubs used their financial position to make offers to members that other clubs couldn't match.

The working group is understood to be considering offering members options such as credits on future memberships, converting memberships into tax deductible donations, as well as offering refunds where needed although nothing has been finalised as yet.

With the game suspended until at least May 31 (although few expect it to return that early) and a new fixture to be developed if the season does get underway, significant uncertainty remains as to what lies ahead with AFL CEO Gill McLachlan saying he is prepared for the season to extend until the end of the year to ensure the remaining 144 games plus finals are played.

Geelong CEO Brian Cook told a KRock podcast that the Cats had been overwhelmed with support from members as the industry dealt with the myriad of decisions required after the game was cancelled due to government restrictions in place to control the spread of the coronavirus.

"We’ve been working towards a common strategy for all clubs, and it will involve, eventually, several options for their members to consider," Cook said.

Cook expected club members would have about five options to consider once clubs and the AFL had approved the approach with the veteran CEO also anticipating it would need the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's tick of approval.

"I’m expecting [in] about a week or so, we’ll be able to go out to members and say, 'Look, here is our offer'," Cook said.

The AFL said at their season launch that one in 24 Australians are members of clubs. The range of membership options provided by clubs are enormous, ranging from three-game memberships to digital memberships, season ticket holders, reserve seats, season ticket holders and corporate packages or social club memberships.

Membership has been one of the game's biggest growth areas with club bosses describing members as the "lifeblood" of clubs before the coronavirus crisis.

Club officials have been heartened by the response of members with more people happy to leave their money with the club at this stage than wanting refunds. All clubs have had people buy memberships since the season cancelled too.

However they are also conscious there are many people, like clubs, who have suddenly been hit with significant financial troubles as jobs disappear so they are attempting to work out a suitable solution.

It's unclear at this stage what approach will be taken with AFL members.

comrade
26-03-2020, 01:54 PM
Can understand if those doing it tough requested a refund, personally, I'd never consider it.

Hopefully the clubs can put together a really attractive option that keeps the money within club coffers AND provides value for members.

bulldogtragic
26-03-2020, 04:17 PM
They should do what politicians and political parties do for real money. Sell access.

"Fight Back 2". After all this, every member who stays on get to use their membership card for entrance into the Western Oval and the club gets as many past players and past coaches and all current players to give access to the members. Well known members (Merv, Hemsworth etc asked to come along). Half day event festival feel. Some music by our big name Bulldogs music folks. Like Fightback, all the people packing out the WO are there having put money into the club when it really needed us. Entrance by membership only, even its its a scaled back membership (ie someone with a 11 game membership could drop down to a 3 game membership, having returned the balance of cash to them and still get in to FB2, and the value of a three game membership staying with the club which is better than nothing). And social club members that stay on still get their end of year event should they keep their social club membership.

Scraggers
26-03-2020, 04:32 PM
I'm in a position where I don't need to ask for money back or credit for next year. I totally understand people who will not be and therefore need this sort of offer ... no judgement from me; I get it.

Mofra
26-03-2020, 04:56 PM
The "tax deductable donation" option is an interesting development.

Axe Man
26-03-2020, 05:03 PM
The "tax deductable donation" option is an interesting development.

I'm not quite sure what their angle is with this. Clubs are not for profit, however they are not deductible gift recipients to my knowledge.

The club will get my money regardless, if I can claim a tax deduction for it that's a bonus.

bulldogtragic
26-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Didn't players about 20 years ago, to keep us a float, donate their wages back to our foundation to get the deduction and the club balance things out?

Twodogs
26-03-2020, 07:34 PM
Didn't players about 20 years ago, to keep us a float, donate their wages back to our foundation to get the deduction and the club balance things out?

It's why Nathan Brown left.

Bulldog4life
26-03-2020, 09:46 PM
I love that movie "Let it ride".

jazzadogs
26-03-2020, 10:19 PM
I have an AFL membership with Bulldogs Club Support, and I would be interested to see what refunds are available from that.

I would prefer to reinvest whatever I can get back from the AFL, directly into the Bulldogs.

Prince Imperial
26-03-2020, 10:24 PM
The club is really poor at promoting this to the general membership (there is no link to it on the club's website) but anyone can make a tax deductible donation to the club through the Australian Sports Foundation. I'm not sure they can convert paid memberships but maybe there is a way for a refund to be made and an automatic donation from members who consent.

A number of years back I made donation and received a letter from the club stating that it had been used on GPS equipment for the players.

https://asf.org.au/projects/western-bulldogs/

bulldogtragic
26-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Bulldogs Foundation:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/foundation

GVGjr
27-03-2020, 08:45 AM
It's obviously different for everyone and we should all do what is right for us but the club won't get a request for a refund from me.

westdog54
27-03-2020, 09:15 AM
The club is really poor at promoting this to the general membership (there is no link to it on the club's website) but anyone can make a tax deductible donation to the club through the Australian Sports Foundation. I'm not sure they can convert paid memberships but maybe there is a way for a refund to be made and an automatic donation from members who consent.

A number of years back I made donation and received a letter from the club stating that it had been used on GPS equipment for the players.

https://asf.org.au/projects/western-bulldogs/

Bulldogs Foundation:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/foundation

http://www.abn.business.gov.au/ABN/View?abn=26160537459

Registered to receive tax-deductible donations.

mjp
27-03-2020, 11:29 AM
So - here's what our membership debit provider sent us on Tuesday:
==================================================
The government announced on 22 March 2020 that many industries are no longer allowed to operate, including gyms, health studios and related fitness activities. Since that time we have noticed that debits are still being submitted and/or processed on behalf of your business and therefore, you may be at an increased risk of breaching Australian Competition and Consumer (ACCC) regulations around fees for no service.

As we have processed a debit on your behalf on or after Monday 23 March, 2020, we have now suspended your direct debits and placed your account on settlement hold.

In order to have the suspension and blocks removed, you will need to provide more detail on these debits, specifically around how you have changed your business model as a result of the government restrictions. If you do not provide this information, we are unable to release the funds which will be held until further notice and used to provide refunds to customers (if required).
====================================================

Now, before everyone accuses me of being a leech, BEFORE the announcement that we had to close, we sent all of our members a letter that said this:

======================
Whilst it (the gym - this was part of a longer message!) is closed we will be taking the following actions:

1/. Freezing everyone’s membership (so you don’t need to take action for this to happen).
2/. Continuing to provide the FREE ‘At Home’ training series (that we have been providing everyone for the last two weeks.
3/. Offering personalised at home sessions to those who request it for the cost of $25 per week (more details coming later this week).

In the immediate term (which will continue as long as we are permitted) the gym will remain open and all sessions will continue to operate as per the time-table. The post-session disinfecting routine has been embraced by the gym community and for that I thank you guys – certainly I myself (and my entire family for that matter) have been in the gym training every day and have felt confident doing so. The efforts everyone has been putting in has gone a long way towards making me – and of course, those people training alongside you – feel comfortable and confident in showing up each day. Honestly, numbers in the gym have been great and I have been very grateful for everyone’s continuing support.

Now – there have been a number of people who have reached out to me (either directly, via email or via social) offering to continue to pay their membership fees in the event the gym is forced to close. I really do appreciate this – it is an incredibly generous offer – and, to be honest, it is one that will go a long way towards ensuring that the gym is still alive and kicking when our lives (eventually) return to normal. If you fit into this category (and I thank you if you are) then please cut and paste the following (thanks to our amazing member Blair who supplied me with the the ‘shell’ of this text) and send it back to me at ‘mpratt@round1fitness.com.au’:

“I really value the gym and I wanted you to know that given the uncertainty moving forward you will continue to have my support on a financial basis. I would like to commit to pay my gym membership fees even if the gym is closed.”

Now that I’ve said that – and it wasn’t really all that easy to write – I want to make a couple of other comments.

Firstly, no-one is under ANY OBLIGATION to do this – I will be freezing memberships by DEFAULT. I can’t pretend to understand everyones personal financial circumstances but regardless of that I 100% understand the sentiment where you don’t want to pay for a service that you cannot utilise. And yes, I will continue to make available the free at home workouts to everyone whether they are paying membership fees or not.

Secondly, if you do make the offer to continue making membership payments, but then later realise that the closure has been going on longer than you anticipated OR your circumstances change such that you can no longer afford to make payments, well, no sweat. Just let me know and I will IMMEDIATELY freeze your account.
============================================

Now - DESPITE this - despite working almost 36 hours straight to get all of this sorted out for people - the ACCC ***STILL*** ordered our accounts suspended and we had to PROVE TO THEM we had been given permission to continue to take funds. Which we did, and the suspension was lifted yesterday and now I can pay my staff this week.

The footy club should 100% be doing this. People should be 'OPT OUT' by default - but be given a very clear option to opt in. If you want to throw those who opt in a couple of extra bones (we certainly are), then great. But the club (clubs!) are not delivering the service that people are paying for. It isn't their fault, but they aren't delivering it. They shouldn't be taking membership fees without asking if it is still ok to do so.

Sorry everyone - like it or not the footy club is currently in violation of Australian Consumer law and they need to sort it out....

Personally, I would opt in because I want to help the club but I am getting pretty annoyed at not being asked if I want too.

comrade
27-03-2020, 11:40 AM
The footy club should 100% be doing this. People should be 'OPT OUT' by default - but be given a very clear option to opt in. If you want to throw those who opt in a couple of extra bones (we certainly are), then great. But the club (clubs!) are not delivering the service that people are paying for. It isn't their fault, but they aren't delivering it. They shouldn't be taking membership fees without asking if it is still ok to do so.

Sorry everyone - like it or not the footy club is currently in violation of Australian Consumer law and they need to sort it out....

Personally, I would opt in because I want to help the club but I am getting pretty annoyed at not being asked if I want too.

Sorry you're getting hammered by this mate, you are 100% correct that the club should be on the front foot on this.

mjp
27-03-2020, 11:57 AM
Sorry you're getting hammered by this mate, you are 100% correct that the club should be on the front foot on this.

Thanks - we'll be right. Maybe!

I'm frustrated by the club here. I just think they should be showing leadership and allowing their members to REAFFIRM their support rather than just doing 'nothing'.

Having someone 'OPT IN' to pay even though the product is gone is powerful...those are the 'REAL' members. You have another group of people you can create offers for over the next 50 years if you like. Further, those people having made a DECISION to be in...they will be IN. They will automatically roll into next year. For those who go 'on hold' - they will be thankful of being given the choice. Market to them in a couple of months with an early offer for 2021. You will find they will appreciate they way the club has supported them and will sign back up with payments set to start maybe a month earlier - maybe they pay an extra 10% in 2021 to make up for 2020...or something? And it is ALL ABOUT NEXT YEAR right now.

If people just pay because they aren't given an option, you wait for the drop off in 2021. The time to act is NOW!

Axe Man
27-03-2020, 12:01 PM
http://www.abn.business.gov.au/ABN/View?abn=26160537459

Registered to receive tax-deductible donations.

I would imagine donations to the foundation would be required to be used for specific purposes only, not just keeping the club afloat. Not sure about the Australian Sports Foundation donations.

I'm prepared to cut the club some slack on this. It was already stated in the article that all the clubs will be taking a consistent approach to this, so the club can't act on it's own. The clubs are also now operating with a skeleton staff in absolutely unprecedented circumstances. Happy to give them some time to sort it all out. If there's one thing many of us have plenty of at the moment it's time.

bornadog
27-03-2020, 12:13 PM
Thanks - we'll be right. Maybe!

I'm frustrated by the club here. I just think they should be showing leadership and allowing their members to REAFFIRM their support rather than just doing 'nothing'.

Having someone 'OPT IN' to pay even though the product is gone is powerful...those are the 'REAL' members. You have another group of people you can create offers for over the next 50 years if you like. Further, those people having made a DECISION to be in...they will be IN. They will automatically roll into next year. For those who go 'on hold' - they will be thankful of being given the choice. Market to them in a couple of months with an early offer for 2021. You will find they will appreciate they way the club has supported them and will sign back up with payments set to start maybe a month earlier - maybe they pay an extra 10% in 2021 to make up for 2020...or something? And it is ALL ABOUT NEXT YEAR right now.

If people just pay because they aren't given an option, you wait for the drop off in 2021. The time to act is NOW!

If you read the opening post, I thought the AFL wanted all clubs to have the same approach to this. I have received no correspondence from the club re my membership.

bornadog
27-03-2020, 07:01 PM
Letter from Club

Dear Bulldogs Members,

We know you are all doing it tough and at the Club, things are no different.

This week, we were forced to stand down close to 70 employees and limit the hours of all of our other employees; most pretty severely. We want to thank all of our employees for their understanding and forbearance, knowing that the interruption to their jobs and their regular income comes on top of a time of unprecedented anxiety and disruption to the rest of their lives. Hopefully they will all stay well and united and in close phone and video contact in the weeks ahead. We know that our players are also facing the reality of severe cuts to all AFL player contracts as the entire football world reacts to the impact of the coronavirus. We appreciate their understanding too.

The business gurus say you’ve got to go hard and go early on efforts to stem the losses to the business at a time of catastrophic disruption like this. With very strict cost parameters instituted by the AFL, and, ultimately, accepted by our Board and Executive, we have had to conduct rapid, but robust, analysis on the minimum number of staff required to operate the business during this time. In doing so we sought to implement our changes fairly and to preserve our ability to get going as efficiently as possible whenever that is permitted.

Our venue at Victoria University Whitten Oval has now been completely locked down with our retained and limited-hours staff members all working from home. Like many of you, we’re trying new ways to connect, to stay in touch and to support each other.

The skeleton staff we still have working have a clear job to do while the game is suspended. We need to work hard to protect our existing revenues, and we need to find new and different ways to connect and engage with all of you – our loyal and passionate fans.

Football is important to all of us. It’s part of who we are. It creates memories that live on. While it might be missing from our lives for a while longer, we’ve all got a story to share, a memory that has endured.

We know that many of you will have questions about membership and membership fees. These are hard to answer at a time when we don’t know whether we will play 17 games in 2020 or no games - and whether crowds will be able to gather again this year. We have agreed to work with the other AFL clubs to find a fair and consistent approach to membership questions.

We would like to thank you for your understanding and support. The sentiment and solidarity showed by members to the Club has been amazing in such trying circumstances, and it’s appreciated by everyone at the club. Our membership tally has continued to rise over the course of the last week and we can’t thank you enough for your loyalty.

Stay strong, look out for each other, and most importantly, please follow the social distancing protocols to keep yourself, your family, and community safe.

The Bulldogs will be back on the field, and when we do, we’ll give our very best.

We’re the team of the Mighty West.

Peter and Ameet.

1eyedog
27-03-2020, 08:26 PM
More than happy for my membership to roll over sometime into the future. I have Premiership Gold and I can honestly say that while things are tightening up at home I won't be asking for the money back if the club needs it, and I think they will.

I gave more and witnessed more pain in 89.

mjp
28-03-2020, 10:29 AM
If you read the opening post, I thought the AFL wanted all clubs to have the same approach to this. I have received no correspondence from the club re my membership.

Thanks BAD. I had read the opening post about 'the same approach'...and I didn't like it. Honestly, I also don't like the clubs letter to members yesterday about questions being 'hard to answer'...they actually aren't.

The question should be:

* Do you wish to continue paying for your membership?
* Do you wish for your payments to go on hold?
nb. For members who have paid 'lump sums', should you wish to go 'on hold' whilst we are unable to provide a refund we WILL commit to proportionately reducing the cost of your 2021 membership.

Honestly, this is simple.

Like I have said, I am happy to continue paying for my membership as things stand right now. But I know from a WA perspective 40000 hospitality workers lost their jobs this past Monday...the last thing people in those circumstances need is to be spending time chasing a footy club about membership freezes when they are already dealing with 2-3 hour on-hold times for banks re- mortgages, with landlords, etc etc etc.

comrade
28-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Like I have said, I am happy to continue paying for my membership as things stand right now. But I know from a WA perspective 40000 hospitality workers lost their jobs this past Monday...the last thing people in those circumstances need is to be spending time chasing a footy club about membership freezes when they are already dealing with 2-3 hour on-hold times for banks re- mortgages, with landlords, etc etc etc.

Do you know of any other clubs offering refunds/option to opt out of direct debit payments? If not, I can only assume all clubs are trying to work out some sort of consistent policy across the league which you would hope is rolled out very soon.

GVGjr
28-03-2020, 11:44 AM
Thanks BAD. I had read the opening post about 'the same approach'...and I didn't like it. Honestly, I also don't like the clubs letter to members yesterday about questions being 'hard to answer'...they actually aren't.

The question should be:

* Do you wish to continue paying for your membership?
* Do you wish for your payments to go on hold?
nb. For members who have paid 'lump sums', should you wish to go 'on hold' whilst we are unable to provide a refund we WILL commit to proportionately reducing the cost of your 2021 membership.

"Would you like us to roll over your 2020 membership to the 2021 season?"

There must be some reasons why the clubs can't provide a clearer picture for members so I can't be critical of them.
Most here will consider this years membership as payback for the 2016 premiership regardless of if there is a season or not.

Those who now can't afford it should get a refund

mjp
28-03-2020, 01:12 PM
Do you know of any other clubs offering refunds/option to opt out of direct debit payments? If not, I can only assume all clubs are trying to work out some sort of consistent policy across the league which you would hope is rolled out very soon.

I don't want a consistent policy. I want our club to show the way.

I also want them to make some noise about some investment in the Whitten Oval and make some BOLD statements about hosting 3x home games there in 2021 and beyond. The club should be seriously taking the initiative here. Yes - that sort of stuff costs money (I know) but if lenders wont partner with us now when the economy is flattened and the government is offering some serious incentives for infrastructure investment then when will they ever?

hujsh
28-03-2020, 01:42 PM

Yep, Pretty much what the club email says. Wouldn't be surprised if the AFL itself it directing clubs to be consistent with the options presented.

jeemak
28-03-2020, 06:53 PM
Yep, Pretty much what the club email says. Wouldn't be surprised if the AFL itself it directing clubs to be consistent with the options presented.

The more money the cubs have the less money the AFL needs to fork out to support them.

Sorry you're copping it right now MJP (and all WOOFERS impacted), I think you've taken a really clear, transparent and honourable approach here.

ledge
30-03-2020, 12:25 PM
I thought I read all payments would be frozen , my monthly payment came out today.

GVGjr
30-03-2020, 02:19 PM
Essendon have reached out to their members

Essendon has written to its members asking them to continue paying off their memberships during the AFL’s indefinite shutdown period.

Bombers chief executive Xavier Campbell also told supporters that more than 75 per cent of the club’s workforce had been stood down without pay because of the global pandemic.

Twodogs
30-03-2020, 08:11 PM
Essendon have reached out to their members

Essendon has written to its members asking them to continue paying off their memberships during the AFL’s indefinite shutdown period.

Bombers chief executive Xavier Campbell also told supporters that more than 75 per cent of the club’s workforce had been stood down without pay because of the global pandemic.

Up until James Hird hit Essendon had more money than they could poke a stick at. They would have been well suited to sit this storm out if they hadn't wasted all that money on pointless legal action and defending the indefensible.

I wonder how that's going for them now?

Axe Man
31-03-2020, 11:13 AM
Up until James Hird hit Essendon had more money than they could poke a stick at. They would have been well suited to sit this storm out if they hadn't wasted all that money on pointless legal action and defending the indefensible.

I wonder how that's going for them now?

You will love this sob story by Slobbo yesterday:

Coronavirus crisis becomes double blow at Essendon following drugs ban debacle
(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/coronavirus-crisis-becomes-double-blow-at-essendon-following-drugs-ban-debacle/news-story/8bd9c244be4e33e6e127afd4574f263e)
Essendon knows a crisis. Like all other 17 clubs, the Bombers have been gutted both financially and emotionally.

For the Bombers, it is the second time in what is now a decade of doom.

No one will reach for a tissue, of course, as football, Australia and the world confronts the economic tsunami delivered by COVID-19, but the Bombers just can’t get their heads above water.

The first wave was the supplements debacle.

The second wave, and this is much more devouring, is the coronavirus.

The drugs saga cost the club an estimated $20 million. The 2020 season could cost Essendon, and every club for that matter, $15 million or more.

All 18 clubs face a bleak future financially.

Some are worse than others. Take St Kilda, which has a mountain of debt.

Some have worked to the bone to reduce debt. In five years, Carlton has reduced its burden from $9 million to $3 million.

They all will recover. Who knows how long it will take, maybe a decade, but recover they will.

Emotionally, that’s the real issue. Last week 18 clubs sacked, or made redundant, or stood down 80 per cent of their staff.

Brisbane boss Greg Swann described it as the worst day of his professional life.

Dons chief executive Xavier Campbell didn’t disagree. “It was gut-wrenching,’’ he said.

He was Essendon’s chief executive through the hellish 2014-16 seasons, 2016 being when 34 Essendon players were suspended for 12 months.

That season, with top-ups and a new coach, was unprecedented.

Campbell won’t compare the economic situations of then and now, other than to say both required “critical and urgent’’ decisions.

The human cost, however, is unbearably distressing.

“We’re such a human-based industry,’’ he said.

“Clubs ask so much more of their people in sport. You ride the wave of emotion a lot more than you probably do in traditional corporate businesses.

“In the stands, you’re hugging fellow staff members after a big win, you see board members hugging each other, and everyone getting super excited. With that emotional ride, when things don’t go well on-field, and I’ve seen it off field a couple of times now, that creates a challenging landscape.

“Because it means so much.

“Football clubs are such an important sense of identity for a lot of people.”

FOOTY FAMILY
Football clubs must be unreal environments to work in. The atmosphere is determined by what happens in a two-hour span on any given weekend.

A win bring smiles and confidence. A loss, the opposite.

The exhilaration of turning up for work versus the despair and anxiety of working there.

Most people are paid unders to work in the industry.

The do it because they love it. The potential of having the best working year of your life must be a tease.

One executive, not at Essendon, said staff were hooked on the emotion and rhythm of footy.

“It was like punting. You lose, and you dust yourself off and go back. If you win, you float through the front door,’’ he said.

He cried when he told his staff they had to be stood down.

“It’s a family inside footy clubs,” he said

There’s one family made up of three extended families — the players, the coaches and the administration.

Last week, the players got a small slice of joy with their pay deal.

But for the coaches and the administration, it was a bloodletting.

Campbell had to stand down or make redundant good people with kids and mortgages at a time of incredible uncertainty in the workforce.

“We had no choice but to make big decisions,” he said.

“And it’s not the fault of those individuals, it’s through a matter of circumstances.

“That’s heartbreaking when you see the impact on those people, people who are loyal and dedicated.”

This period is different to the drugs saga.

Then, the Bombers were isolated under a tonne of bricks and a tonne of media coverage.

Some of it was self-inflicted, some of it not, but all of it was complex.

It was four years of fighting the AFL, the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, lawyers and at times themselves.

HUMAN TOLL
In the middle was the human cost — the players.

“That was challenging because so much was out of their control and I personally felt a lot of it,” Campbell said.

“How I can describe it? They certainly didn’t do anything overtly out of the line.

‘‘And it’s the period of uncertainty, when you’re not clear on the direction or the time frame for which something is going to take place.

“Which is exactly where it is now with respect to the 2020 season and how long the virus will impact society and how long we’re going to be shut out of games.

“Even reflecting on ’14, ’15 and ’16, once we knew the time frame associated with the process, it still wasn’t easy, but it was easier.”

The “Essendon 34” were banned in January 2016, the same month the coronavirus started infiltrating the world this year.

Four of the suspended players remain on the current list: Dyson Heppell, Tom Bellchambers, Cale Hooker and Michael Hurley.

Others, such as Joe Daniher, Zach Merrett and David Zaharakis, played before, during and after the drugs ban.

If football doesn’t return this season, Heppell, Bellchambers, Hooker and Hurley will have a second season swiped from their careers.

“I haven’t had discussions with them about how they feel about this and its context to their careers,” Campbell said.

“But I know they care about the club and the young guys not being able to play, and they care about the fact they are building something and they are confident in what they’re building.

“Those four guys love the game and to not be able to do that … that’s why 2016 was heartbreaking.’’

In 2016, the players explored life, business, travel and the community.

This is different again.

“It’s a societal issue, where there are so many restrictions,’’ Campbell said.

“It’s not like you can take advantage of anything other the fact you get this intimate opportunity to connect with your family. It’s staring us all in the face.’’

Campbell said the drugs saga showed it was important to be ‘‘really clear and honest’’ with information about the potential costs of the coronavirus.

He held staff meeting on March 11, a day after the club chief executives and presidents had a meeting with the AFL.

Less than two weeks later, the worst fears were doubled, if not tripled.

BOMBERS ARMY
Then there’s the fans, the lifeblood. Campbell says every fan is in it together.

“When going through adversity, it strips layers back to the pure nature as to why you love the game and why you love the club,’’ he said.

‘‘I saw that last time with us.

“The people, the support, and even though it wasn’t what they lined up for and what they wanted, the members rallied.

“I’ve got no doubt that’s what will happen again, not just for the red and black, but for every club.

‘‘The members are the life blood of footy clubs.

“It’s not possible without the players and it’s not possible without the members.

“We’ve known that, but it’s absolutely hitting us in the face right now.”

comrade
31-03-2020, 11:27 AM
Where's the bucket?

jeemak
31-03-2020, 12:21 PM
How's the timing with the notice that they want fans to dig deep...…...spew central.

Sedat
01-04-2020, 04:22 PM
They should have been kicked out of the comp for good and replaced by Tasmania in 2016. Dirty, thieving, cheating bastards.

bornadog
01-04-2020, 05:03 PM
They should have been kicked out of the comp for good and replaced by Tasmania in 2016. Dirty, thieving, cheating bastards.

AFL is gutless.

bulldogtragic
01-04-2020, 09:14 PM
I would've preferred that the Hun put that print into supporting a GoFundMe for Roberta Williams whose husband and bread winner isn't around anymore and is doing it tough even more now. I've got more sympathy for Roberta than Essendon. At least she admitted to the drug enterprise that was being run.

#HangToughRoberta
#DigDeepForRoberta

Twodogs
01-04-2020, 10:09 PM
In the stands, you’re hugging fellow staff members after a big win, you see board members hugging each other, and everyone getting super excited. With that emotional ride, when things don’t go well on-field, and I’ve seen it off field a couple of times now, that creates a challenging landscape."

How the *!*!*!*! would he know what happens after a big win?

hujsh
02-04-2020, 03:55 AM
Anyone see Eddie dodging the question of refunds with Tony Jones?

GVGjr
02-04-2020, 07:29 AM
Anyone see Eddie dodging the question of refunds with Tony Jones?

He was determined not to give a headline. Jones wanted a yes or no answer, Ed was not going to give him that.

mjp
02-04-2020, 10:17 AM
Refunds is the wrong question.

bornadog
02-04-2020, 10:44 AM
Are Golf Club players asking for their membership back, or Gym members, tennis club members, racing clubs, MCC members etc etc.

Just asking?

The RACV Club has said memberships will be suspended and the months added on to the renewal date.

I think clubs need to give something back to those that stick with the club. If someone needs the funds, then so be it, there should be no hesitation by the club.

GVGjr
02-04-2020, 11:59 AM
I think clubs need to give something back to those that stick with the club. If someone needs the funds, then so be it, there should be no hesitation by the club.

I doubt there would be.

Axe Man
02-04-2020, 02:25 PM
Footy fans urged to retain memberships but will get refunds if requested, Gillon McLachlan says (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/footy-fans-urged-to-retain-memberships-but-will-get-refunds-if-requested-gillon-mclachlan-says/news-story/a6308fa61d6e0ee0b168ae675a72b0d1)

Footy fans will be given refunds if requested but have been urged to retain their memberships to support clubs financially amid the coronavirus crisis.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan confirmed supporters can ask for their money back from clubs if they’re struggling financially as the community grapples with job losses and financial hardship.

While some have suggested the money from 2020 membership should be treated as a donation to their clubs, others will need access to that money given current circumstances.

“Of course. If they need it, they can (get refunds). But clearly we’d love them to stay because our industry is in a battle and our clubs are in a battle to get through and the membership is their lifeblood,” McLachlan said on ABC Radio Melbourne.

“But all I’d say is, I understand the pain going on out there and people need to make their own decisions and clearly if they want it (a refund), they can.

“But I know our members understand how big their contribution of membership is to their clubs.”

The issue of refunds for memberships exploded on Wednesday night when Collingwood president Eddie McGuire had a fiery argument on television with journalist Tony Jones.

McLachlan said fans need to make their own decisions based on whether they can personally afford to keep their membership.

But he stressed how important revenue from the sale of memberships is for the survival of clubs.

“The first thing is about the individual and their circumstances, we’ve got people who have to stay safe and get through this tough period. The second part of that is clearly the footy clubs are reliant on club membership,” McLachlan said.

“So those who have been making their contribution because of that connection, that loyalty for so long in time, if they’re able to keep their membership it goes a long way to keeping the club sustainable.

“In the end people have got to make decisions based on their circumstances and where they’re at in every sense and staying safe and getting through this economically is the priority.

“But after that, for those who their footy club is almost part of their family, if they’re able to maintain their membership and keep going, it will go a long way to getting their clubs through this.”

Western Bulldogs have already refunded some club memberships after being approached by fans experiencing financial hardships.

Chief executive Ameet Bains said if there is an overwhelming request for refunds, however, clubs will be in big trouble.

“If you look at the major revenue streams that clubs rely on, membership is one of those key ones,” Bains said on SEN.

“ … if you look at it in purer financial terms it would be a significant body blow for clubs and potentially fatal for a number of clubs as well.

“The question of hardships is a different one and I think everyone is sympathetic about that … we continue to work with anyone who is affected in that way.

“From our own experience, those individuals that have approached us with hardships or concerns, we’ve been happy to accommodate on individual basis.”

But supporters have also continued to show their support, with the Bulldogs continuing to sell memberships despite no games currently being played.

“In the last week we’ve sold 60 new memberships,” Bains said.

The AFL season’s shut down period will last until at least May 31.

There are concerns about whether the coronavirus outbreak will mean no football will be played at all this year, with the league already compressing the season to 17 rounds.

McLachlan said there’s no rush to start the season the week of June 1, declaring there is room for the restart date to push out and still play a 17-round home-and-away season.

There are no plans at this stage to cut the season back even further.

“What we’re saying is: OK, what is the drop dead date to get 17 rounds away? And it’s certainly later than June 1. We can get our season away later than that,” McLachlan said.

“It may get to the point that we need to look at different models beyond 17 but at the moment we have given ourselves that flexibility to play 17 rounds. We’ve got a really united industry, a united group of players and clubs that it’s plausible to get 17 rounds away almost maybe in less than 17 weeks if we compress a little bit. Maybe we can pick up one or two weeks there across the course of 17 weeks.

“We have time beyond June 1 to get 17 rounds away.”

Axe Man
02-04-2020, 02:28 PM
Are Golf Club players asking for their membership back, or Gym members, tennis club members, racing clubs, MCC members etc etc.

Just asking?

The RACV Club has said memberships will be suspended and the months added on to the renewal date.

My gym suspended all membership direct debits when they shut. I know not all gyms are the same though.

comrade
02-04-2020, 02:31 PM
My gym suspended all membership direct debits when they shut. I know not all gyms are the same though.

I think there is some legal issues at play with direct debits and many gyms have been forced to suspend payments whether they really wanted to or not.

Axe Man
02-04-2020, 02:37 PM
I think there is some legal issues at play with direct debits and many gyms have been forced to suspend payments whether they really wanted to or not.

My Bulldogs memberships are direct debits and they haven't stopped?

comrade
02-04-2020, 02:47 PM
My Bulldogs memberships are direct debits and they haven't stopped?

The banks/direct debit companies may have different rules/arrangements with organisations such as AFL clubs.

jeemak
02-04-2020, 03:31 PM

Just asking?

My club hasn't mentioned anything about refunds, but the course has been closed this week and services peeled back a little from a couple of weeks ago.

I'm sure if I went to the club and suggested that due to hardship I wanted my April subs, which are the last for the financial year, refunded they would probably do it...….

For golf clubs it's a really tricky one, if members stop paying or receive refunds then funds dry up and maintenance crews can't maintain the course and it's a downward spiral from there. Not only does the club expose itself to losing staff, but has to then spend additional funds in getting the course back into good condition which is much harder than you might think.

bulldogtragic
02-04-2020, 04:10 PM
My club hasn't mentioned anything about refunds, but the course has been closed this week and services peeled back a little from a couple of weeks ago.

I'm sure if I went to the club and suggested that due to hardship I wanted my April subs, which are the last for the financial year, refunded they would probably do it...….

For golf clubs it's a really tricky one, if members stop paying or receive refunds then funds dry up and maintenance crews can't maintain the course and it's a downward spiral from there. Not only does the club expose itself to losing staff, but has to then spend additional funds in getting the course back into good condition which is much harder than you might think.

They just need to ask for help. Larry David (Curb, Seinfeld) started a GoFundMe four days ago hoping to raise $150,000 for regional golf caddies doing it hard. He's already raised $133,000 in four days.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/riviera-caddy-fund

jeemak
02-04-2020, 05:26 PM
They just need to ask for help. Larry David (Curb, Seinfeld) started a GoFundMe four days ago hoping to raise $150,000 for regional golf caddies doing it hard. He's already raised $133,000 in four days.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/riviera-caddy-fund

I'm not sure there's going to be too much sympathy or many GFM pages set up for the private sandbelt courses BT!