PDA

View Full Version : The best (at their best ) Bulldog's side since 1985

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-04-2020, 03:39 AM
OK. So we have the thread dedicated to the best Dog's to pull on the guernsey since 1985. There's not a lot of controversy with those selections, give or take a few.
This thread is slightly different in that it is about considering the best Dog's side since 85', but not over the long haul. This is about the best Dog's side based on the BEST form of those who pulled on a guernsey, with the proviso that they played at least 15 games.
Hopefully this allows people to consider not just the champs, who did it over the long haul, but also those whose best shone as bright as a supernova, but for a shorter period of time.

B: Morris, Lake, Hardie
HB: JJ, Foster, Smith
C: Hawkins, Wallis, McLean
HF: S. Macpherson, Grant, Johnson
F: Hudson, Beasley, Royal
Foll: Wynd, Bontempelli, Tony Liberatore
INT: Kennedy, Bamblett, Griffen, Darcy
EMERG: Matthew Boyd, Andrew Purser, Nathan Brown, Leon Cameron

I really wanted Clay Smith in there, and Tory Dickson but Hudson' best shades Dicko's for mine.
Apols
Daniel Cross
Lindsay Gilbee
Simon Cox
Craig Ellis
Brad Nicholson
Matthew Robbins
Brett Montgomery
Ron James
Matthew Croft
Steven Kretiuk
Matthew Dent
Tony Macguiness
Danny DelRe
Steven Kolyniuk
Simon Atkins
Jim Sewell
Leon Cameron
James Cook
Alan Daniels
Tyson Lane
Michael Egan ( for Twodogs)

GVGjr
04-04-2020, 09:27 AM
YHF, are we talking about guys like John Georgiades and maybe Phil Maylin?
Del're was an excellent player for us over a shorter time period

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-04-2020, 11:41 AM
YHF, are we talking about guys like John Georgiades and maybe Phil Maylin?
Del're was an excellent player for us over a shorter time period

Absolutely Gary. That's precisely what I'm going for.

Happy Days
04-04-2020, 11:45 AM
Jakey boy would need to be considered.

I’m gonna workshop a team of guys who were good for like 3-4 games and then fell off a cliff.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-04-2020, 11:56 AM

I’m gonna workshop a team of guys who were good for like 3-4 games and then fell off a cliff.

That's an excellent idea. I had flirted with guys like Georgiadis and Mark West.

Happy Days
04-04-2020, 12:11 PM
That's an excellent idea. I had flirted with guys like Georgiadis and Mark West.

I’ve got Rawlings, Boyd, Brad Murphy and Tom Williams all in. It’s harder in the modern era because if you show anything early you’ll be kept around well past the sell by date, so I’m *very* open to suggestions from back in the day.

westdog54
04-04-2020, 01:24 PM

If Rocco Jones were still regularly posting he'd be wanting Jason Tutt in that team.

26 Disposals and 4 goals (3 in 3 kicks) on debut is pretty good going.

GVGjr
04-04-2020, 01:25 PM
If Rocco Jones were still regularly posting he'd be wanting Jason Tutt in that team.

Wrong Jason, Jason Watts was a sensation when moved forward :)

bornadog
04-04-2020, 04:20 PM
Andrew Purser was considered by Mick Malthouse as the best ruckman he has ever coached. He was sensational for a couple of years including 1985.

GVGjr
04-04-2020, 05:18 PM
Andrew Purser was considered by Mick Malthouse as the best ruckman he has ever coached. He was sensational for a couple of years including 1985.

He was a great ruck man. He could feed the rovers with his ruck work and found a way to cover his lack of height and even mobility against the opposition.

Rocco Jones
04-04-2020, 05:36 PM

Wrong Jason, Jason Watts was a sensation when moved forward :)

Huge fan of both.

angelopetraglia
05-04-2020, 09:10 PM
Surely you can sneak in Angelo Petraglia in on the half forward flank or in the pocket :)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-04-2020, 09:20 PM
Surely you can sneak in Angelo Petraglia in on the half forward flank or in the pocket :)

Reckon it was in 86 or 87 we got on a decent winning streak with both Libba and Angelo having a rich vein of form.

Twodogs
06-04-2020, 12:01 PM
Reckon it was in 86 or 87 we got on a decent winning streak with both Libba and Angelo having a rich vein of form.

They had a really good game at Windy Hill. We wwere 5 goals down just before halftime and Beasley gets an outrageous free kick right in front and Petraglia kicks a goal at right angles that would have done Shane Warne proud.

I had just moved to Moonee Ponds and dad drove over and parked the car in the driveway and we walked down to Windy Hill. On the way we befriended an old bloke and he stood with us when we got to the ground. Libba pounds a tackle and the old fella's face lit up like a christmas tree. He's Libba's dad! My dad said to him "Why aren't you up in the grandstand telling everyone about him? If it were my boy that's exactly what I would be doing" and the old boy said "Because I am standing here and telling you instead. Anyway my wife is up in the grandstand and she gets very excited and maybe start a fight"