PDA

View Full Version : My favourite Bulldog for each jumper number #

angelopetraglia
05-04-2020, 01:53 PM
My personal favourite player to pull on each jumper number (starting with #1 to #20 others numbers to follow)

#1 Andrew Purser - Only played five seasons but had a massive impact. A childhood hero and a key member of that 1985 team.

#2 Robert Murphy - Nearly impossible to go past Bob. But I did love Steven Kolyniuk and will never forget that goal at the MCG to beat the Pies "Will he take Wright on, yes he does, I thought he would"

#3 Chris Grant - No more needs to be said. The best player I have ever seen in Bulldog colours. If he decided to leave it also could have been the end of our beloved club.

#4 Marcus Bontempelli - My loves grows fonder every year. Apologies to Cross who brought so much joy over the years and was as courageous as any Bulldog I have ever seen.

#5 Matthew Boyd - Hard choice. Loved Bubba too. But loved the determination and how Boyd got every last inch out of his God given natural talent.

#6 Brad Johnson - Captain. 355 games. 551 goals. Hard to believe he kicked 74 goals in a season. So lucky to see his entire career. Shoutout to Dalhaus who I just loved watching in his first few years.

#7 Doug Hawkins - Tough choice for the #7. Loved Scott West too. But Hawkins was my childhood hero (grew up with the #7 on my back) and was a key reason I fell in love with the game.

#8 Rick Kennedy - Another childhood hero. Tough as nails. Apologies to Southern who was such a fan favourite.

#9 Lindsay Gilbee - What a kick. It was a thing of beauty to watch. Also loved Paul Hudson's 100 odd games too. Such a reliable kick and always knew where the goals were.

#10 Easton Wood - Premiership Captain. Enough said. Shout out to another childhood hero, Mick Egan.

#11 Tony McGuiness - Apologies to Jack Macrae. But I just loved watching McGuiness and cried when he left to go to Adelaide. Such a penetrating kick for a little man.

#12 Greg Eppelstun - Loved the mullet and believe it or not he played for Victoria.

#13 Daniel Giansiracusa - Easy choice. No one else has even played more than 50 games in this jumper.

#14 Clay Smith - Apologies to Luke Darcy. Too young to see Shultz or Round. Will never forget the courage, tenacity and month of football he played in September 2016. Bulldog immortal.

#15 Scott Wynd - Another childhood hero. Loved watching him floating across half back taking mark after mark. Apologies to the bearded one Ben Hudson who was also a favourite of mine in the Eade era.

#16 Matthew Croft - The boy from Mildura always got the toughest assignment in an era that included the likes of Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, Lloyd and Modra.

#17 Adam Cooney - Just loved him when he was at his peak. Could have been anything if it wasn't for his knee.

#18 Simon Beasley - Tough choice. Loved Leon Cameron too. Another childhood hero. Nearly went to every game in 1985 including the semi-final against North Melbourne at the MCG when he kicked the ton. So many beautiful memories of the pieman.

#19 Luke Beveridge - Slim pickings in the modern era for this number. But it has to be the man who led us to the promised land.

#20 Jim Edmond - Another childhood era. That team was never the same after he left.

EasternWest
05-04-2020, 02:00 PM
Love it, AP.

bornadog
05-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Hard to disagree with those. I guess some could add the players they have seen in the jumper.

For example:

I only saw Teddy Whitten in his last few years that I can remember, some may have not have seen Chris Grant and would choose another player wearing the number 3.

Twodogs
05-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Les Bamblett would be my #9 but gee there have been some pretty good players to wear it in my time. It's been a bit of a goalkicker number for us.

Start with tough guy Ian Salmon in the mid '70s then the one half decent player we got in the Gary Dempsey swap, a guy called John Moylan. Stan Davidson came down from the bush and played 50 odd games before transferring to Wiliamstown and playing in a flag. After him came Lally for 37 wonderful games and 59 brilliant goals. John Georgiades lit it up for 15 games and 27 goals. Brad Nicholson wore it for three years and then another goalkicker in Paul Hudson (108 games and 214 goals) then Gilbee.

Twodogs
05-04-2020, 06:44 PM
#18 Simon Beasley - Tough choice. Loved Leon Cameron too. Another childhood hero. Nearly went to every game in 1985 including the semi-final against North Melbourne at the MCG when he kicked the ton. So many beautiful memories of the pieman.

God I loved watching that pasty, frail, pink and shell-like number 18 get on a long lead knocking other players down left, right and centre on the way to taking an overhead mark with three opponents hanging off him.

angelopetraglia
05-04-2020, 08:19 PM
God I loved watching that pasty, frail, pink and shell-like number 18 get on a long lead knocking other players down left, right and centre on the way to taking an overhead mark with three opponents hanging off him.

Absolutely. It so exciting to cheer on a genuine goal kicking full forward. Beasley has been the best in my time. Also loved watching Barry Hall kick 80 goals in 2010.

bornadog
05-04-2020, 08:44 PM

How many times did we see him kick bags of 9, 12, etc. Copped alot of of punches to the back of the head getting those contested marks

angelopetraglia
05-04-2020, 09:07 PM
How many times did we see him kick bags of 9, 12, etc. Copped alot of of punches to the back of the head getting those contested marks

There were some good and tough full backs in that era too. Langford, Frawley, Martin, Silvangni, Carter, Duckworth ...

Twodogs
05-04-2020, 09:13 PM

He kicked more A/VFL in the 1980s (575 I think) than any other player.

To answer your question he had 3 bags of 12, 1 of 11, 1 of 10 and 3 bags of 9! Un*!*!*!*!ingbelievable!!!!

angelopetraglia
05-04-2020, 09:17 PM
He kicked more A/VFL in the 1980s (575 I think) than any other player.

To answer your question he had 3 bags of 12, 1 of 11, 1 of 10 and 3 bags of 9! Un*!*!*!*!ingbelievable!!!!

Accurate kick too. His three bags of 12 goals he kicked 12.3, 12.3 and 12.4. In 1985 he kicked 105.41.

bornadog
05-04-2020, 11:53 PM
Accurate kick too. His three bags of 12 goals he kicked 12.3, 12.3 and 12.4. In 1985 he kicked 105.41.

I know I have said it before, but 1985 was almost my favourite season of footy.

Twodogs
06-04-2020, 11:44 AM
I know I have said it before, but 1985 was almost my favourite season of footy.

Yep mine too. A great team that took us on the ultimate roller coaster ride

Twodogs
06-04-2020, 11:46 AM

He could be our goalkicking Mr Miyagi.

GVGjr
06-04-2020, 11:54 AM
Andrew Purser #1
Bernie Quinlan is the hands down #2 on my list
Peter Featherby #3 Stoneman a close 2nd.
Brad Hardie #4
Rohan Smith #5
Brad Johnson #6
Doug Hawkins #7

angelopetraglia
06-04-2020, 11:57 AM
Andrew Purser #1
Brad Hardie #4
Rohan Smith #5
Brad Johnson #6
Doug Hawkins #7

I'll add some more later

Only saw Superboot in a Fitzroy jumper, but loved what he did in the 1980s there.

Twodogs
06-04-2020, 12:05 PM
Andrew Purser #1
Brad Hardie #4
Rohan Smith #5
Brad Johnson #6
Doug Hawkins #7

I'll add some more later

Tits Kennedy has to be #8. I flat out refuse to even countenance anyone else (and some great players have worn #8 in my time-Hahn, Toohey).

Mofra
06-04-2020, 12:10 PM
My personal favourite player to pull on each jumper number (starting with #1 to #20 others numbers to follow)

#1 Andrew Purser - Only played five seasons but had a massive impact. A childhood hero and a key member of that 1985 team.

#2 Robert Murphy - Nearly impossible to go past Bob. But I did love Steven Kolyniuk and will never forget that goal at the MCG to beat the Pies "Will he take Wright on, yes he does, I thought he would"

#3 Chris Grant - No more needs to be said. The best player I have ever seen in Bulldog colours. If he decided to leave it also could have been the end of our beloved club.

#4 Marcus Bontempelli - My loves grows fonder every year. Apologies to Cross who brought so much joy over the years and was as courageous as any Bulldog I have ever seen.

#5 Matthew Boyd - Hard choice. Loved Bubba too. But loved the determination and how Boyd got every last inch out of his God given natural talent.

#6 Brad Johnson - Captain. 355 games. 551 goals. Hard to believe he kicked 74 goals in a season. So lucky to see his entire career. Shoutout to Dalhaus who I just loved watching in his first few years.

#7 Doug Hawkins - Tough choice for the #7. Loved Scott West too. But Hawkins was my childhood hero (grew up with the #7 on my back) and was a key reason I fell in love with the game.

#8 Rick Kennedy - Another childhood hero. Tough as nails. Apologies to Southern who was such a fan favourite.

#9 Lindsay Gilbee - What a kick. It was a thing of beauty to watch. Also loved Paul Hudson's 100 odd games too. Such a reliable kick and always knew where the goals were.

#10 Easton Wood - Premiership Captain. Enough said. Shout out to another childhood hero, Mick Egan.

#11 Tony McGuiness - Apologies to Jack Macrae. But I just loved watching McGuiness and cried when he left to go to Adelaide. Such a penetrating kick for a little man.

#12 Greg Eppelstun - Loved the mullet and believe it or not he played for Victoria.

#13 Daniel Giansiracusa - Easy choice. No one else has even played more than 50 games in this jumper.

#14 Clay Smith - Apologies to Luke Darcy. Too young to see Shultz or Round. Will never forget the courage, tenacity and month of football he played in September 2016. Bulldog immortal.

#15 Scott Wynd - Another childhood hero. Loved watching him floating across half back taking mark after mark. Apologies to the bearded one Ben Hudson who was also a favourite of mine in the Eade era.

#16 Matthew Croft - The boy from Mildura always got the toughest assignment in an era that included the likes of Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, Lloyd and Modra.

#17 Adam Cooney - Just loved him when he was at his peak. Could have been anything if it wasn't for his knee.

#19 Luke Beveridge - Slim pickings in the modern era for this number. But it has to be the man who led us to the promised land.

#20 Jim Edmond - Another childhood era. That team was never the same after he left.
Swap out Galaxy for no 20 and Tom Williams for 12 and my list is probably identical to yours. Controversial, but I also would have picked Boyd over Bubba.

Rick Kennedy's 8 was the first number I wore on a jumper. Also a huge fan of Daniel Southern.

GVGjr
06-04-2020, 12:33 PM
Swap out Galaxy for no 20 and Tom Williams for 12 and my list is probably identical to yours. Controversial, but I also would have picked Boyd over Bubba.

Rick Kennedy's 8 was the first number I wore on a jumper. Also a huge fan of Daniel Southern.

I think with players shuffling numbers over their career I intend to have Boyd in at #42
Bubba originally was number 31 but I have that reserved for someone else :)
Grant will come in at #29

Twodogs
06-04-2020, 12:39 PM
I think with players shuffling numbers over their career I intend to have Boyd in at #42

He was a fair player that #31!

angelopetraglia
06-04-2020, 12:43 PM

Never saw that #31 play. #31 in the modern era is slim pickings. Bailey Dale? Mark Alvey? Tom Young?

GVGjr
06-04-2020, 12:45 PM
Never saw that #31 play. #31 in the modern era is slim pickings. Bailey Dale? Mark Alvey? Tom Young?

There a couple of others, let me have a look

Twodogs
06-04-2020, 01:32 PM

Phil Krakour wore #31 for us. I think after KT left we got a little bit petty and started to deliberately give it to players who didn't have a close connection to the club-it was a real pity.

bornadog
06-04-2020, 01:34 PM

This will help: https://australianfootball.com/clubs/every_player/Western+Bulldogs/14?order_by=jumper&sort=asc

Axe Man
06-04-2020, 01:40 PM
My not quite so obvious favourite player list:

1. Nicky Winmar
2. Keenan Reynolds
3. Adrian Campbell
4. Darren Davies
5. Allen Daniels
6. Stuart Wigney
7. Shaun Higgins
8. Bernard Toohey
9. Paul Hudson
10. Brett Montgomery
11. Jose Romero
12. James Cook
13. Josh Mahoney
14. Scott West
15. Ben Hudson
16. Terry Wallace
17. Justin Charles
18. Trent Bartlett
19. Zeno Tzataris
20. Glenn Coleman
21. Tony Campbell
22. Robert Murphy
23. Simon Atkins
24. Brad Wira
25. Kingsley Hunter
26. Danny Del-re
27. Luke Penny
28. Ilija Grgic
29. Chris Grant
30. Matthew Robbins
31. Rohan Smith
32. Craig Ellis
33. Brad Johnson
34. Mark West
35. Darren Baxter
36. Tyson Lane
37. Mitch Hahn
38. Daniel Cross
39. Malcolm Lynch
40. Luke Darcy
41. Michael Frost
42. Matthew Boyd
43. Ron James
44. Mark Hunter
45. Tom Campbell
46. Steven Kretiuk
47. Barry Standfield
48. Nigel Kellett
49. Mick Egan
50. Jon Ballantyne
51. Steven Koops
52. Scott Wynd
53. Cameron Wright*
54. Rick Kennedy
55. Frank Lesiputty*
56. Chris Burton*
57. _
58. Darren Stanley*
59. Steven Kolynuik
60. Tony Liberatore

*I don't remember these guys but choices were slim

Mofra
06-04-2020, 01:43 PM
42 will always be Picko for mine.

Mofra
06-04-2020, 01:44 PM
Darren Baxter! What a blast from the past, what a story.

jeemak
06-04-2020, 02:45 PM
Darren Baxter! What a blast from the past, what a story.

Elaborate...…?

GVGjr
06-04-2020, 02:47 PM
Elaborate...…?

It just dawned on me that Mofra might have been referring to Shaun Baxter

jeemak
06-04-2020, 02:52 PM

Well he needs to get his act together if that's the case.

Mofra
06-04-2020, 04:24 PM
Damn, I was too.

I remember liking Darren Baxter as a player though. Still don't know why we traded him.

GVGjr
06-04-2020, 04:32 PM
Damn, I was too.

I remember liking Darren Baxter as a player though. Still don't know why we traded him.

I still recall the first time we played the Hawks after Baxter moved there. Baxter went to Atkins and shut him out of the game. Just about every other team copied that and Axe was never quite the same

Mofra
06-04-2020, 05:42 PM
I still recall the first time we played the Hawks after Baxter moved there. Baxter went to Atkins and shut him out of the game. Just about every other team copied that and Axe was never quite the same
Yep, I still vaguely remember it being a cause for supporter angst too listening to the supporter feedback on the radio when the team sheet was read out. Atkins copped it a fair bit.

Wheels was a very loyal guy and the Axe sadly started becoming a scapegoat.

Twodogs
06-04-2020, 06:33 PM
Damn, I was too.

We had an 18 yo Leon Cameron we wanted to play in Baxter's spot and thought that as long as Baxter is on the list we would keep playing him.

angelopetraglia
06-04-2020, 09:41 PM
21-40 players below.

#21 Tom Liberatore - Kolyniuk played a lot of footy in this jumper before going to #2. However I have always admired Libba's attack on the ball and hoping he can get back his very best.

#22 Ben Harrison - Wally Donald played 205 games in this jumper before I was born. Ted Whitten Jnr also wore it for 144 games which I also never saw. In my time watching the Dogs its down to Addison and Harrison really. Didn't mind Ben Harrison and in particular have fond memories of him doing a job on Nick Reiwoldt one day at the MCG when we upset them.

#23 Simon Atkins - Apologies to Roughie. But what was there not to love about Axe? Long hair, long sleeves, handball king. Poor mans Diesel Williams.

#24 Steve Wallis - Never saw Dempsey play. Special mention to "never forget" Premiership Hero Biggs. But Wallis was a star when I first fell in love with the Bulldogs. Who will ever forget when he sent Brett Heady into another planet which led to the infamous brawl where Southern put Sumich in that sleeper hold. Tough as nails Wallis.

#25 Ryan Hargrave - Part of that great 1999 super draft group for us. 200+ games. Key player in the Eade era. Knew how to throw a punch.

#26 Danny Del-Re - No one has played more than 72 games in this jumper. Fond memories of Danny kicking 8 goals in a losing final against Geelong in 1992. (Gee whiz Geelong own us in finals).

#27 Stephen McPherson - No contest, sorry Will. Super was like a cartoon character when I was a kid ... tough as they come.

#28 Paul Dimattina - Another key part of the Wallace era with his mates Romero and Libba. Also loved big bad Barry's 39 games in the red, white and blue.

#29 Tory Dickson - Neil Cordy was such a graceful footballer to watch but can't go past Dicko. Will never, ever forget him marking the ball and knowing that we had broken our Grand Final drought.

#30 Matthew Robbins - In my time Joel Hamling won a Premiership in this number, but for sheer enjoyment can't go past Robbo. He had an awesome combination with Brad Johnson in 2006 when he kicked 46 goals and Johnson kicked 74 goals. He could get up high for a little man https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/matthew-robbins-for-the-bulldogs-leaps-over-chris-johnson-for-the-picture-id53305871

#31 Bailey Dale - Didn't see the great KT play. Slim pickings after that in this jumper. Hopefully Bailey can go on and really make this number his own.

#32 Peter Foster - No contest. Will never ever forgive Paul Dear. Such a reliable defender and mark for us in the mid 80s / early 90s.

#33 Brian Royal - So many players from that great 1985 team. Loved watching choco play. A genuine rover who knew where the goals were when resting up forward. 199 games and 299 goals. Also was a mainstay of the Victorian team at his best too.

#34 Mark West - Slim pickings in my era for this jumper. West only played 16 games but was great to watch when he was up and running and hard to miss with the dreadlocks. Will never be forgotten for missing that shot on the run against Adelaide in that 1997 Prelim final.

#35 Caleb Daniel - Apologies to Darren Baxter. Too young to see Wheeler. The helmeted one is a Premiership Hero and I loved his work in that amazing 2016 Prelim Final.

#36 Brian Lake - Apologies to Jose Romero. But Lake was an excitement machine. You never knew what you would get some days, but in big games and big finals rarely disappointed. His ability to back himself and take the mark rather than spoil was a game changer for the art of defending.

#37 Roarke Smith - Slim pickings in my era. But Roarke is persistent if anything else.

#38 Dale Morris - Massive apologies to the mulleted one Angelo Petraglia. Sorry Angelo if it was anyone else, but can't go past Dale. Dale Morris is just about my favourite Bulldog of all time. What is there not to like? Tough as nails. Consistent. Never let you down. Premiership Hero. Great all round bloke.

#39 Tony Liberatore - Apologies to JJ. But loved this little man. How he did what he did for so long at 164cm is beyond me. Reinvented himself under Plough as a tagger and never looked back. He would do whatever it took to win. Legend.

#40 Jarrod Harbrow - How good was he to watch running the ball out of defence? Gutted that we lost him to the Suns and lost the opportunity to see him strut his stuff for the next decade. 70 games for the Dogs. 175 games for the Suns.

bornadog
06-04-2020, 11:52 PM
Dempsey was the best player I ever saw in the number 24 and also one of the all time best ruckman.

Twodogs
07-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Terry Wheeler used to say

How long do you need Axe? (to shoot out a handball)

#23 Simon Atkins - Apologies to Roughie. But what was there not to love about Axe? Long hair, long sleeves, handball king. Poor mans Diesel Williams.

And Axe would say A quarter of a second coach And Wheeler would implore the players Let's get Axe his quarter of a second

chef
07-04-2020, 06:18 PM
Terry Wheeler used to say

How long do you need Axe? (to shoot out a handball)

And Axe would say A quarter of a second coach And Wheeler would implore the players Let's get Axe his quarter of a second

This always makes me laugh.

https://youtu.be/n1Z1xaPhCpY

comrade
07-04-2020, 07:22 PM
This always makes me laugh.

https://youtu.be/n1Z1xaPhCpY

They don't make em like they used to!

jeemak
07-04-2020, 07:38 PM
Australiana at its finest.

KT31
08-04-2020, 04:51 PM
Before I could put a podcast on and stop my mind racing, to help me sleep I found naming players jumper numbers from one and up was much better than counting sheep.

The Underdog
08-04-2020, 07:16 PM
Before I could put a podcast on and stop my mind racing, to help me sleep I found naming players jumper numbers from one and up was much better than counting sheep.

I do the same thing...��

Twodogs
08-04-2020, 07:22 PM
I do the same thing...��

I commentate pretend Test matches in my head. I always start off with me bowling leggies to Mark Taylor and halfway through the first over I am asleep.

Axe Man
08-04-2020, 07:24 PM

I read BT's long and complicated list management and trade musings, knocks me out every time.;)

bornadog
08-04-2020, 11:25 PM
i read bt's long and complicated list management and trade musings, knocks me out every time.;)

Very funny :D

angelopetraglia
08-04-2020, 11:51 PM

OMG. I do that too.

jazzadogs
09-04-2020, 12:23 AM

Ha I do this too. Sometimes I try to pick particular years and see how much of the list I can get right.

Jeanette54
09-04-2020, 07:21 PM
Some of the numbers I remember back when I was a kid, or think I remember.
Give me a break, it was so long ago they wore roman numerals on their back.

1. Murray Zeushner (apologise for spelling).
2. Mervyn Hobbs
3. EJ
4. Bobby Ware
5. Ian Bryant
6. Georgie Bisset
7. Graham Chalmers (?)
8. "Doc" Mannix
9. Laurie Sandilands
10. Rod Coutts
14. John Schultz
15. David Dárcy
16. David Thorpe
18. Ray Baxter
19. Garry Merrington
22. Ron McGowan
25. John Jillard
26. Ray Walker
30. Don MacKenzie
32. John Reilly
33. Ivan Marsh

Brothers I can't put a number to were Bobby and Ricky Spargo, and Barry and Graeme Ion.