PDA

View Full Version : Our forward line savior

Mofra
26-02-2008, 10:33 PM
By Christ we need one.

Against North, no multiple goal kickers.

Against the Bombers, we led in centre breaks & inside 50s to half time, but were getting spanked.

Minson? Not convinced. Morgan crumbed to our advantge. Minson just crumbs.
Johnson? Unfair to load him up with the expectatioin normally shared by 6 players.
Murphy? Looks a little out of touch. Real mistery at the moment.
Higgins? More of a midfileder.
Tiller? 5th tall.
Wight? Honest trier... which doesn't seem to be nearly enough.
Hahn? Ditto Murphy, without the marking abilty. Will create goals from throw ins.
Welsh? Even year so he will play a handful of games. Will probably kick 45 next year.

May be left-field, but we are really missing Skipper. He would be better than Wight at CHF & has a smaller turning circle, unlike Minson he threatens to actually take a mark, is better than Minson/Wight below the knees & loves the Bulldogs enough to play for beer money alone.

2008: the year of the Wayde if he ever gets on the paddock

GVGjr
26-02-2008, 10:39 PM
The forward line has been a concern for a while now. Shut down Johnno and the opposition is half way home.

I'm optimistic about Walsh, skeptical about Minson but we must give him a chance and hopeful that Murphy can be a threat. I also think Higgins can do a decent job for us.

Hahn and Aker are the keys. If they have good seasons then we can keep the scoreboard ticking over.

We need 14 goals a game as a minimum and at the moment that looks very hard.

westdog54
26-02-2008, 11:12 PM
The forward line has been a concern for a while now. Shut down Johnno and the opposition is half way home.

I'm optimistic about Walsh, skeptical about Minson but we must give him a chance and hopeful that Murphy can be a threat. I also think Higgins can do a decent job for us.

Hahn and Aker are the keys. If they have good seasons then we can keep the scoreboard ticking over.

We need 14 goals a game as a minimum and at the moment that looks very hard.

Crucify me for saying it, but I'd revise that to Gia and Aker. I went to very few games in 07 but I did see the St Kilda draw, and he was very impressive up forward. As for Aker, he is IMO, pound for pound, the best set of hands overhead in our squad. Yes Johnson and Lake are far ahead of him, but look at the height and weight they have to work with. Aker has neither to speak of yet is incredibly strong overhead.

GVGjr
26-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Crucify me for saying it, but I'd revise that to Gia and Aker. I went to very few games in 07 but I did see the St Kilda draw, and he was very impressive up forward. As for Aker, he is IMO, pound for pound, the best set of hands overhead in our squad. Yes Johnson and Lake are far ahead of him, but look at the height and weight they have to work with. Aker has neither to speak of yet is incredibly strong overhead.

I shouldn't have missed Giansiracusa. He could be a vital player for us.

Big Will
27-02-2008, 02:27 AM
One problem is we don't have a lead up marking forward and I guess that's where Skipper comes in. Although Johnno is capable of this we need a big body to take big marks. Skipper can.

I was really hoping Minson could do this but he has a long way to go in the contested marking department. The good thing about Minson being in the forward line is that he will make a contest, he won't mark it much but he will bring it to ground and guys like Hahn, Welsh, Gia, Johnson, Aker and Higgins should cash in on that. Sadly I was looking forward to seeing some forwards crumbing and roving from Minson against Essendon but there was none to be found :confused:

LostDoggy
27-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Our forward line savior Wayde Skipper? Until he plays a couple of crap games, then we will turn to our forward line savior Andrew Macdougall!!
I dont think anyone on our list will be savior, maybe Grant on 5 yrs

Big Will
27-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Our forward line savior Wayde Skipper? Until he plays a couple of crap games, then we will turn to our forward line savior Andrew Macdougall!!
I dont think anyone on our list will be savior, maybe Grant on 5 yrs

I didn't name the thread. In terms of our forward line I agree there is no short term "saviour" on our list. However I am pointing out that Skipper can play as a tall lead up forward, which our forward line currently lacks.

Mantis
27-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I didn't name the thread. In terms of our forward line I agree there is no short term "saviour" on our list. However I am pointing out that Skipper can play as a tall lead up forward, which our forward line currently lacks.

Wayde has shown only glimpses as being able to play this role throughout his career. I think Wayde is best suited as a back-up ruckman where he can use his athleticism around the ground.

Go_Dogs
27-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Wayde's disposal is terrible though. He wins more ball than our other rucks did last year, but his usage was as bad as anyones, which a lot of people seemed to overlook.

For mine, we need a mix of Johnson as a marking target. Welsh who can play deep, or lead up, Hahn, who can crash packs and crumb/apply defensive pressure, Harbrow who can apply defensive pressure/crumb. Then, Minson to stay deep and provide the contest, and one of Murphy/Wight/Whoever, to play the go-to, lead up role around CHF.

Besides that, we have Gia/Higgins/Aker/Coons who I'd rotate through the forward line. Gia and Higgins need to work on consistent defensive efforts, and although we need Cooney spending the majority of his time in the midfield, I like him resting forward. Can lead/mark and tackle.

Big Will
27-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Wayde has shown only glimpses as being able to play this role throughout his career.

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of Skipper but I do have hope he can show more than just glimpses. I'm not entirely sure where he actually fits into our side. Which would you choose... Skipper taking marks in the forward line or Skipper playing as a mobile ruckman.

Based on the game against Essendon I would choose forward line. Based on the hope instilled in our current forward line, I'd want him on the bench or as a mobile ruckman intead of Street. Basically he needs to step up.

Mantis
27-02-2008, 02:00 PM
I agree. I'm not a huge fan of Skipper but I do have hope he can show more than just glimpses. I'm not entirely sure where he actually fits into our side. Which would you choose... Skipper taking marks in the forward line or Skipper playing as a mobile ruckman.

Based on the game against Essendon I would choose forward line. Based on the hope instilled in our current forward line, I'd want him on the bench or as a mobile ruckman intead of Street. Basically he needs to step up.

I would prefer Skipper taking marks in the forwardline, I just don't no if that is possible.

Agree that I would much prefer Skipper as our back-up ruckman compared to Street.

bornadog
27-02-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't believe we have a forward saviour for 2008 based on the current players. We need an all round contribution.

Here is a list of the top ten goal kickers for the past three years. In 2007 we only had one player who kicked more than 30 goals, compared to 3 in the previous years. We never replaced Matthew Robbins with his 45 goal contribution in 2006 and 31 in 2005. Eagleton has dropped off dramatically as well. You can also see that we had a massive 39 goals less kicked by the top ten. The other surprise in the list is the 33 goals kicked by Murphy in 2005, which tells me he has to play forward.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/untitled.jpg

We need Brad to keep kicking goals, at least 50. We need Welsh to also kick 40 plus and a couple of midfielders to contribute 30 plus. As for Minson, he has to be there to help the crumbers as he is never going to be Fevola, Lucas type.

Cyberdoggie
27-02-2008, 02:47 PM
i'm not sure where the wayde skipper fans have come from but to me he's been on the list 3 years too long

after that night game up in sydney where i think it was kirk who gave him a punctured lung when he was under mark, he has basically not been a pack marker.

For a ruckman at 193-195cm? he is particularly slow around the ground and i'd back wight as a far more mobile and quicker player.

Skips one big asset is his left foot from outside 50 off a few steps.

Go_Dogs
27-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I guess a telling sign is that 3 of our top 5 from 2006 are no longer playing, and the majority missed most of 07 too.

Good table bad.

LostDoggy
27-02-2008, 03:31 PM
The eternal search. The names stretch back through the years, a rollcall of non-saviours: Campbell, Cook, Rawlings, Hargreaves etc...

Anyone got Welsh's goal stats handy? Can we expect him to snag 40+? I'm doubtful.

Looking at the lists there, a 40+ goal, Robbins-type year from Higgins would help and he is capable of it. Strong on the lead and off the deck. I don't want to see him wasted in the midfield while we have better options there already.

Mantis
27-02-2008, 03:54 PM
The eternal search. The names stretch back through the years, a rollcall of non-saviours: Campbell, Cook, Rawlings, Hargreaves etc...

Anyone got Welsh's goal stats handy? Can we expect him to snag 40+? I'm doubtful.

Scott Welsh:

2007 Adelaide - 49 19 - 21 games
2006 Adelaide - 12 7 - 6 games
2005 Adelaide - 58 27 - 23 games
2004 Adelaide - 36 25 - 16 games
2003 Adelaide - 17 11 - 10 games
2002 Adelaide - 29 8 - 13 games
2001 Adelaide - 22 12 - 18 games
2000 Adelaide - 47 31 - 22 games

Looking at the lists there, a 40+ goal, Robbins-type year from Higgins would help and he is capable of it. Strong on the lead and off the deck. I don't want to see him wasted in the midfield while we have better options there already.

You wouldn't have thought so after last weeks game.

Agree Higgins is best suited in the forward line at present, but he has to work harder this year in order to get to more contests and to help 'lock' the ball in the forward 50.

aker39
27-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Scott Welsh:

2007 Adelaide - 49 19 - 21 games
2006 Adelaide - 12 7 - 6 games
2005 Adelaide - 58 27 - 23 games
2004 Adelaide - 36 25 - 16 games
2003 Adelaide - 17 11 - 10 games
2002 Adelaide - 29 8 - 13 games
2001 Adelaide - 22 12 - 18 games
2000 Adelaide - 47 31 - 22 games

I'm sure you've all worked this out by now, but that'a an average of 2.093 goals per game.

If he plays 20 games this year, that's 42 goals.

Cyberdoggie
27-02-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm sure you've all worked this out by now, but that'a an average of 2.093 goals per game.

that goal per game avg is better than anyone else at our club since danny del re i believe

i think we can expect 40 if he plays the majority of the season.

Mantis
27-02-2008, 06:15 PM
that goal per game avg is better than anyone else at our club since danny del re i believe

i think we can expect 40 if he plays the majority of the season.

He also has a very good record at TD (bit of a flat track bully + very good converter) so this should help.

Cyberdoggie
27-02-2008, 06:27 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/untitled.jpg

the perfect stat to describe a player in this is nathan eagletons goal tally in 2007

20 games 13 goals. I'd like to know how many misses and shots on goal as well.

13 goals is a disgraceful effort,

Cyberdoggie
27-02-2008, 06:35 PM
He also has a very good record at TD (bit of a flat track bully + very good converter) so this should help.

true, he could quite easily do nothing the whole day and get 2 free kicks and he'll probably kick them

bornadog
27-02-2008, 07:04 PM

Sounds easy, but it never is.

Who else is capable of kicking two goals per game?

You would expect if Minson is to play forward then thats what he needs to do. By rights Aker should kick at least one if not two per game and I also would like the midfield to do the same, ie Cooney and Boyd one each.

wimberga
28-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Going back to the orginial Post, I believe Skipper is not as bad as some make out and is worht keeping on the list. He CAN perform but is inconsistent so will agree to that.

It is too early to start discounting Minson at full forward though

BulldogBelle
28-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Going back to the orginial Post, I believe Skipper is not as bad as some make out and is worht keeping on the list. He CAN perform but is inconsistent so will agree to that.

Skipper due to his massive run of injuries has been unable to develope that consistancy. I feel he does have the talent just has to string together a few games and develope a belief in himself. He has struggled with confidence issues and frustrations through his injuries but if he can overcome injury issues - he will do ok. Like you winberga I also think he should be kept on the list.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-02-2008, 08:04 PM

It is too early to start discounting Minson at full forward though

Skipp can ill afford another year of just glimpses of talent. He really needs to string several games together. I really want him to succeed, and I believe for this to happen he's really got to believe in himself that he deserves to be an AFL footballer. I saw better signs at times last year that he finally is starting to believe and back his abilities.
I just hope his disrupted pre-season doesn't put him too far behind the 8 ball fitness and preparation wise. History has shown that a poor pre-season makes it very hard to maintain a sustained high level of performance across 22 games.

hujsh
01-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe we don't need a savior? What about Adelaide? They didn't/don't have exceptional forwards and they were a successful team.

Maybe just having 4 or more players working well together with an understanding of how they hope to score and how eachother play is the key?

ledge
01-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Skipper as a leading forward and maybe Street just stays in square so if we in trouble just bomb it to him and he is ok mark, maybe a few push in backs and who knows, i think Streets second efforts are good too, from what ive seen he never gives up.