PDA

View Full Version : 22 Under 22 (games)

jazzadogs
09-04-2020, 12:19 AM
I saw on Twitter someone made a list of their best 22 players to play under 22 games at the top level. I thought we could have a crack for the Dogs! Nb under 22 games in their entire career.

A sample from my time watching:
- Brett Goodes. 22 games. Position: halfback, ruck, midfield. Goodesy's short-lived stint as our ruckman (I'll never forget the image of him wrestling with Sandilands) was bemusing, but he was a valuable contributor as a player and went on to be a solid part of the club off field as well.
- Mark West. 16 games. Wing. Distinctive part of my early Bulldog memories, I was surprised 10 years ago to learn he only played a handful of games.
- Patrick Wiggins. 11 games. CHF. Part of the famed 1999 draft, he snagged three goals in his 9th game to score a spot in the forward line. Best known in my family for the screams of "you're better than your brother Simon" at a Carlton game.
- Nathan Saunders. 10 games. Forward. 11 goals from 10 games in his one season of 2002, cut at the end of it. Bleak times.
- Zeph Skinner. 8 games. Forward pocket. The cult hero, Air Zephy gets in on potential alone...because that's all we ever got.
- Jayden Schofield. 7 games. Half back flank. An enigma, Jayden looked the goods in his debut season of 2011 before heading off for summer holidays and never returning.
- Josh Prudden. 4 games. Back pocket. Pruds gets in for length of service for his 4 games, including his current stint as Footscray captain. Never got a decent run at it, but by all accounts a great guy.

So here's the bones of my team:
FB: Prudden ??? ???
HB: Schofield ??? ???
C: ??? ??? MWest
HF: Skinner Wiggins ???
FF: ??? Saunders ???
R: Goodes ??? ???
Int: ??? ??? ??? ???

Ineligible for their outside bulldog careers: Tim Callan, Tom Young, Trav Cloke

Who are your favourite Dogs under 22 games? Let's fill up the side!

Axe Man
09-04-2020, 10:35 AM
- John Georgiades is the first name to spring to mind, 15 games for 27 goals (8 in his famous first game but also a bag of 5 and another of 4).
- Ron James (16 games) of course who would have played many more games if his life was not tragically cut short.
- Stephen Tiller, 21 games. Looked talented but it never worked out.
- Phillip O'Keefe, 9 games in a terrible side in 1989 for 19 goals, never seen again.
- Brodie Moles, 17 games. Played some good games in a strong side in 2010 and 2011 but wasn't quite good enough.

Mofra
14-04-2020, 02:00 PM
- Brodie Moles, 17 games. Played some good games in a strong side in 2010 and 2011 but wasn't quite good enough.
Poor Brodie. Was a 'chucker' in that he'd get so nervous before a game he'd throw up.
I liked Tiller.

Mofra
14-04-2020, 02:09 PM
Back pocket - Damien McCormack.

Forward Pocket - Wee Man Andrew Hooper

As a Williamstown fan, I'd try fit Chops Rickman in.
Michael Frost gets a gig, simply because when his mates rock up we'd make a shitload of cash on bar sales (I was fortunate enough to stand near them at the WO back in the day).

Tyson Lane and Jon Ballantyne seemed to play more football with us but both qualify. Tom Young for the ranga contingent (if I'm thinking of the right guy)

Tim Callan is a lock. Only 19 games!

comrade
14-04-2020, 02:15 PM

How many of Timmy's games were finals? Felt like he played way more than 19 games.

EDIT: He played 6 finals out of his 19 games.

Axe Man
14-04-2020, 02:29 PM
Back pocket - Damien McCormack.

Forward Pocket - Wee Man Andrew Hooper

Michael Frost gets a gig, simply because when his mates rock up we'd make a shitload of cash on bar sales (I was fortunate enough to stand near them at the WO back in the day).

Tyson Lane and Jon Ballantyne seemed to play more football with us but both qualify. Tom Young for the ranga contingent (if I'm thinking of the right guy)

I understood Jazza's requirements for players to have played under 22 games total in their careers, excluding most of these guys with the games they played for other clubs.

jazzadogs
14-04-2020, 07:51 PM
Tim Callan was one of the first on my list when I thought of this, but played an extra 20 odd games for the Cats.

What position did Neil Sachse (and some of the others mentioned) play?

FB: Prudden ??? McCormack
FF: Saunders Georgiadis Hooper
R: Goodes Moles ???

Twodogs
14-04-2020, 08:00 PM
Tim Callan was one of the first on my list when I thought of this, but played an extra 20 odd games for the Cats.

What position did Neil Sachse (and some of the others mentioned) play?

FB: Prudden ??? McCormack
FF: Saunders Georgiadis Hooper
R: Goodes Moles ???

Sasche was what we would call a midfielder these days. He ran up and down the ground getting as many kicks as he could but didn't really have a set position. Maybe on a wing in this team? Or the rover.

Twodogs
14-04-2020, 08:06 PM
Just looking through some records. Angelo Petraglia played 21 games in 1986 and kicked 24 goals! That's a fair effort.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2020, 08:24 PM
Ron James as rover maybe, Jazzadogs?

bulldogtragic
14-04-2020, 11:16 PM
Tim Walsh - KPF
Matt Panos - forward
Pat Vezpremi? - Dermie’s fatest 22 also
Christian Howard - Outside runner
Lachie Veale - Steak Knives
Jarrad Boumann - KPD
Keiran Collins - KPD

bornadog
14-04-2020, 11:20 PM

On this day: Rickman Runs Riot (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/584922/on-this-day-rickman-runs-riot)

jazzadogs
14-04-2020, 11:29 PM
Jack MacMillan kicked 17 goals in 4 games in 1936. He came in off a 119 goal season for Hastings and debuted with a then VFL-record 7 goals, backed up by 5 goals in his second game. He broke his wrist, and couldn't break into our senior team, but won the flag in the reserves that year.

Frank Nielsen was our oldest debutante at 34 years old, playing 4 games in our inaugural season of 1925. He didn't get to play in a win.

Brad Murphy was the first number I wore on my back - because my Mum bought me a signed Ryan Hargrave #33 and then he changed to #25 in the off-season. Disaster. He started with a bang with 25 touches but then faded to nothing, for 7 games total.

Brennan Stack-A-Go-Go - sneaks in with 21 matches, but I don't think someone with their own WOOF thread can be left out. https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?5380-Brennan-Stack-A-Go-Go

Christian Howard can take a spot on the bench with plenty of room for his 'cannon'.

Keiren Collins is the only key defender I can see with less than 22 games. He only ever made one appearance in the tri-colours, but his Dad-physique as an 18 year old had us all excited for a pre-season.

FB: Prudden Collins McCormack
HB: Schofield Tiller Stack
C: Rickman Moles MWest
HF: Skinner Wiggins O'Keefe
FF: McMillan Georgiadis Hooper
R: Goodes James Sachse
Int: Howard Murphy Saunders Nielsen

Twodogs
14-04-2020, 11:29 PM
Rickman played on Keith Greig that day. I remember it well.

jazzadogs
14-04-2020, 11:31 PM
On this day: Rickman Runs Riot (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/584922/on-this-day-rickman-runs-riot)

Had to update it after reading this. I wish I'd been alive to see mid-80s Dogs footy.

Mofra
15-04-2020, 09:43 AM
I understood Jazza's requirements for players to have played under 22 games total in their careers, excluding most of these guys with the games they played for other clubs.
My bad