PDA

View Full Version : Brad Johnson's top ten bulldogs of the modern era

Twodogs
10-04-2020, 09:27 PM
Johnno has posted his top ten bulldogs of the modern era.

Chris Grant
Marcus Bontempelli
Scott West
Scot Wynd
Bob Murphy
Dale Morris
Rohan Smith
Luke Darcy
Matty Boyd
Daniel Giansiricusa

What do you think? At first sight I reckon that Johnno is pretty stiff to leave himself out!

https://www.facebook.com/FOXFOOTY/photos/a.313386858712470/3129193887131739/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

josie
10-04-2020, 10:31 PM
I suppose decorum means he omits himself, like Carey did for his list of best players of modern era. I think a few others that could be considered are Brian Lake - I think he was a gun and one of best marks I have seen, Tory Dickson - his 2016 finals were right up there with Pickens and such a reliable kick for goal, smart and although he is a bit slower now was a pretty good tackler - Mr Consistency over quite a few years. I also think Libba Jr in his prime was (and hopefully will be) pretty special - such a pity he lost 2 years with ACL’s (if he had played those years I think he would be in contention).

bornadog
11-04-2020, 12:26 AM
When does the modern era start?

Eastdog
11-04-2020, 01:57 AM

1990-present?

From that list Scott Wynd started in 1988 with us but played mainly in the 1990s for us. Can't appreciate the 1990s era as much as I was only a kid back then and really started supporting the Dogs from the early 2000s onwards.

Jeanette54
11-04-2020, 03:24 PM
1990-present?

From that list Scott Wynd started in 1988 with us but played mainly in the 1990s for us.

I remember a final against Geelong (early 90's)in which we had our bums kicked, really badly. Scott Wynd was apparently the only Bulldog who came to play. His immense personal effort should have been inspiring to the players, but never has a Bulldog captain been let down so badly as he was that day.

I would put him in the top ten on that performance alone.

comrade
11-04-2020, 04:11 PM
Johnno has posted his top ten bulldogs of the modern era.

Chris Grant
Marcus Bontempelli
Scott West
Scot Wynd
Bob Murphy
Dale Morris
Rohan Smith
Luke Darcy
Matty Boyd
Daniel Giansiricusa

What do you think? At first sight I reckon that Johnno is pretty stiff to leave himself out!

https://www.facebook.com/FOXFOOTY/photos/a.313386858712470/3129193887131739/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

Surely Lake gets a gig?

chef
11-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Surely Lake gets a gig?

And Brown. Maybe players who left didnt get a look in?

Ghost Dog
13-04-2020, 11:14 AM
yeah Lake for Gia maybe. Gia could turn a silk purse out of a sow's ear. But Lake had purple patches that had opposition coaches mentioning him at press conferences. ' Purple patch' being the exact words Clarkson used in one game.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-04-2020, 02:02 AM
Picken in that bunch IMO - over Gia.

Mofra
14-04-2020, 09:31 AM
Serious underrating of Gia on here for mine.

Lake and Gilbee are perhaps unlucky, Gilbee revolutionised the metres-gained style of play from HB. McLeod aside, not many HB players were getting tagged until he came along.

anfo27
14-04-2020, 10:20 AM
Macrae is only half way through his career but i would have him on that list. Very rarely plays a bad game & not destructive with the ball like the Bont but still a top shelf A grade player. Doesn't get said alot about Jacko but he's also a tough hombre for mine.

bornadog
14-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Macrae is only half way through his career but i would have him on that list. Very rarely plays a bad game & not destructive with the ball like the Bont but still a top shelf A grade player. Doesn't get said alot about Jacko but he's also a tough hombre for mine.

He cops a lot of hard hits, doesn't complain, gets up and plays on.

jeemak
14-04-2020, 05:01 PM
He's super creative by foot when he's playing his best is Jacko. That and very tough.

jeemak
14-04-2020, 05:02 PM
Picken in that bunch IMO - over Gia.

How much weight do you put in a finals series? He ripened as a player at the perfect time, didn't he!

Axe Man
14-04-2020, 06:23 PM

All these recent lists have been since 1987 - the year the league went somewhat national.

The article:

Western Bulldogs great Brad Johnson rates the best players to play for his club in the modern era (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-great-brad-johnson-rates-the-best-players-to-play-for-his-club-in-the-modern-era/news-story/a2298a6db00502fb30ca0c3b8d53ee02?fbclid=IwAR1CnGdFehwgvgojkR fqYuoL3-z5NehEoJgg16mpifP968O8gXcJg_W1eq8)

Western Bulldogs great Brad Johnson has named Chris Grant as the best player to wear the red, white and blue in the modern era.
But the Dogs’ games record-holder believes current captain Marcus Bontempelli will become not just the best player in this time period, but the best player to ever turn out for the Western Bulldogs by the end of his career.

Johnson, who kicked the second-most goals in the club’s history, behind champion forward Simon Beasley, joked he is actually the best player of the modern era, before revealing his proper list.

“Daylight wasn’t a bad player. That’s the gap between myself and the rest,” Johnson said on Fox Footy Live on Friday night.

“No, on a serious note, I had Granty at No. 1.

“Bont is at No. 2, but I think by the end of his career will be the best ever. He has that huge potential.”

Seven-time Sutton Medal winner Scott West rounded out the podium, with Brownlow medallist Scott Wynd and favourite son Bob Murphy included in the top five.

“Smithy has just messaged and said, ‘we’re best mates, you’ve got to look after me more than that’,” Johnson said.

I would say Libba Senior is very stiff to miss in addition to the others already mentioned (apart from Dickson, good player, nowhere near this conversation though).

Twodogs
14-04-2020, 06:38 PM
I would say Libba Senior is very stiff to miss in addition to the others already mentioned (apart from Dickson, good player, nowhere near this conversation though).

I have Libba sr in my top 5.

SonofScray
14-04-2020, 10:16 PM
I couldn't grasp exactly what the modern era meant?
The list is pretty reasonable though.

C Grant, Bont, Johnno, West, Lake would be my top 5 if it was limited to 2000 onwards.

Bulldog Revolution
14-04-2020, 10:50 PM
Libba snr absolutely deserves consideration

Darcy deserves some mention also - sure his career was ruined by the two knee recos but his peak before that as the 2002 AFLPA MVP was incredibly good

Axe Man
15-04-2020, 10:50 AM
Libba snr absolutely deserves consideration

Darcy deserves some mention also - sure his career was ruined by the two knee recos but his peak before that as the 2002 AFLPA MVP was incredibly good

Darcy is on the list?