PDA

View Full Version : 1997 West Coast @ Whitten Oval

Twodogs
16-04-2020, 07:38 PM
Found it on youtube. I have never seen the whole match replayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5xI_CNVKNE&feature=youtu.be

There are some big hits!

Rocket Science
16-04-2020, 10:58 PM
Found it on youtube. I have never seen the whole match replayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5xI_CNVKNE&feature=youtu.be

There are some big hits!

Oh my lord, what a find.

Sterling work TD.

FrediKanoute
17-04-2020, 04:35 AM
How good was Leon Cameron? His footskills compare well to modern day players. I know we rave about Gilbee's foot cannon and Suckkers left foot, but Leon Cameron is up there with them.

The Pie Man
17-04-2020, 10:58 AM
Christ it was cold that day - my old man ended up in hospital a few days later (he was fine)

I remember drinking Fosters Extra behind the Geelong Rd goals - probably the last day it was ever sold.

Ozza
17-04-2020, 03:40 PM
Always regret missing this game. I was 14 at the time and in year 9 and got the (proper) flu which knocked me around for nearly 2 weeks and this game fell right in the middle of it.

The club released a dvd pack of 6 classic bulldogs games a few years back, so I've got this match on dvd. The 6 matches were;
97 v West Coast
85' 1st semi v North (Beasley 100 goals, Hawkins says best game he's played, Royal 20+ possession and 5 goals.)
97 qualifying final v swans
06' final v Pies
2000 H&A game v Essendon
2015 v Swans at SCG ("mark this day down bulldog fans")

angelopetraglia
17-04-2020, 03:55 PM
Absolutely freezing that day. Great memories of standing on the Doug Hawkins wing.

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 04:13 PM
Christ it was cold that day - my old man ended up in hospital a few days later (he was fine)

I remember drinking Fosters Extra behind the Geelong Rd goals - probably the last day it was ever sold.

There is a bloke at my local footy club who loves his Fosters, we stock a small supply just for him.

Hotdog60
17-04-2020, 06:50 PM
How good was Chris Grant thanks TD

SonofScray
19-04-2020, 02:21 AM
Wasn't there. Was in Bonnie Doon on Aberfeldie U12s end of season footy trip. Still reeling. Why my parents didn't explain the silliness of my decision to give the footy a miss that weekend.

bornadog
19-04-2020, 10:50 AM
I missed this game too as I was living and working in Singapore.

jeemak
19-04-2020, 12:22 PM
I was standing in the members side pocket at the Geelong Road end, and the roughing up of Gardner happened in front of me. I seriously couldn't get over the size of McIntosh and Gerhig - they clearly looked like they were on the juice.

Fantastic day to be at the footy.

Twodogs
19-04-2020, 01:12 PM
Wasn't there. Was in Bonnie Doon on Aberfeldie U12s end of season footy trip. Still reeling. Why my parents didn't explain the silliness of my decision to give the footy a miss that weekend.

How was the serenity?

Remi Moses
19-04-2020, 04:29 PM
Oh god I regret missing this game
Was in the UK on holiday sadly
Remember calling home and it sounded like Michael Gardiner had been murdered on the field
Then saw it and couldn’t believe the overreaction
Loved how we were genuinely hated that year and the agenda from a few at HQ was patently obvious

merantau
21-04-2020, 10:24 AM
How was the serenity?

Thanks for the belly laugh.

merantau
21-04-2020, 10:31 AM
Hard to believe th a t it was nearly 23 years ago. I drove down from Bendigo via Daylesford and it was snowing as I passed through Leonards Hill.
It was great to see that game again. What a great player Jose Romero was for us. Thanks for posting. It brings back memories of what was a very emotional day.

Twodogs
21-04-2020, 11:35 AM

No worries. Go to the footy and nearly die-it's not a biggie!

Lay your life down for the team.

We were *!*!*!*!ing insane.

The Pie Man
21-04-2020, 11:50 AM
No worries. Go to the footy and nearly die-it's not a biggie!

Lay your life down for the team.

We were *!*!*!*!ing insane.

I went and watched the intra club the other month sitting in almost the same spot on that hill where we used to stand (grass a bit more comfortable to sit on then the tiered stones where to stand on) and I thought back to that day (and all other games out there - we always stood at the same railing about 10 metres in front of the scoreboard) It was a pretty warm morning in the end, and I remember some pretty cold days at VFL park and Western Oval as a kid - and that West Coast game I reckon was the coldest I've been at the footy.

Only been to one Ballarat game (round 23 last year) and I was pretty nervous getting out of the car and feeling the wind. Ended up a nice enough day though.

Twodogs
21-04-2020, 12:12 PM
I went and watched the intra club the other month sitting in almost the same spot on that hill where we used to stand (grass a bit more comfortable to sit on then the tiered stones where to stand on) and I thought back to that day (and all other games out there - we always stood at the same railing about 10 metres in front of the scoreboard) It was a pretty warm morning in the end, and I remember some pretty cold days at VFL park and Western Oval as a kid - and that West Coast game I reckon was the coldest I've been at the footy.

Only been to one Ballarat game (round 23 last year) and I was pretty nervous getting out of the car and feeling the wind. Ended up a nice enough day though.

There was a game against Collingwood at VFL park when Alan Stoneham kicks the winner deep in time on in the 1970s. It was wet and cold and we stayed wet and cold all the way back to Footscray, just simply the worst day weather wise ever.

comrade
21-04-2020, 12:37 PM
Was the only game I ever attended at WO. Got dragged along by my uncles, along with my cousins. Stood on the concrete steps and froze all day, could barely see a thing but will never forget the crowd going crazy when Southern and co were ripping into Gardner like a Roman crowd baying for blood in the colosseum.

Bulldog4life
21-04-2020, 01:00 PM
There was a game against Collingwood at VFL park when Alan Stoneham kicks the winner deep in time on in the 1970s. It was wet and cold and we stayed wet and cold all the way back to Footscray, just simply the worst day weather wise ever.

No heater in the car?

Happy Days
21-04-2020, 01:01 PM
This is also the only game I ever attended at WO and was my second game ever (the first was against the Pies in 96 where we conceded 5 goals before scoring and I made my dad take me home because the crowd was too loud).

I can remember barely anything about the game but I do still have a souvenir t-shirt from the day, commemorating the last stand between the “Dog’s” and the “Eagle’s”.

Eastdog
21-04-2020, 05:18 PM
Didn’t go to this game but would have been a great experience. Was a Dogs supporter from the early 2000s onwards.

I have been to a few games at the Whitten Oval. The 2 pre season games there in 2015 (first AFL game there since that 1997 game) and 2017 and some Footscray VFL games over the years.

I wish I could have experienced game day at old school Western Oval but enjoy reading the experiences older woofers had from the 1970s/1980s.

Would be fantastic in the future to play just 1 AFL game there for premiership points.

The best days going there was the GF training session where we got 10K and the GF party when we got 30K.

Twodogs
21-04-2020, 06:47 PM
Didn’t go to this game but would have been a great experience. Was a Dogs supporter from the early 2000s onwards.

I have been to a few games at the Whitten Oval. The 2 pre season games there in 2015 (first AFL game there since that 1997 game) and 2017 and some Footscray VFL games over the years.

I wish I could have experienced game day at old school Western Oval but enjoy reading the experiences older woofers had from the 80s from there.

Would be fantastic in the future to play an just 1 AFL game there for premiership points.

The best days going there was the GF training session where we got 10K there and the GF party when we got 30K.

That was quite a day looking out over the old ground and seeing so many people off their tits with excitement.

And then when the boys turned up waving that cup around...

Eastdog
21-04-2020, 08:29 PM
That was quite a day looking out over the old ground and seeing so many people off their tits with excitement.

And then when the boys turned up waving that cup around...

Was a great day out. Went in from the eastern suburbs that day on the train to Flinders Street. A good number of happy Bulldog supporters going in. At Flinders st waiting at the station I remember the announcer at the train station saying “anyone heading to WO get the next train” I think he said.

Twodogs
21-04-2020, 09:14 PM
Was a great day out. Went in from the eastern suburbs that day on the train to Flinders Street. A good number of happy Bulldog supporters going in. At Flinders st waiting at the station I remember the announcer at the train station saying “anyone heading to WO get the next train” I think he said.

I walked to the ground with my son and met FDOTM there. We were walking up to the merch store and could see that it wasn't open and said to my son "I know it's a sunday but how insane is it that the merch shop is closed today of all days?" Then when we got closer we could see that all the merch was gone.

Rocket Science
21-04-2020, 09:27 PM
This is also the only game I ever attended at WO and was my second game ever (the first was against the Pies in 96 where we conceded 5 goals before scoring and I made my dad take me home because the crowd was too loud).

I can remember barely anything about the game but I do still have a souvenir t-shirt from the day, commemorating the last stand between the “Dog’s” and the “Eagle’s”.

Surely the real winners were the "Fan's".

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-04-2020, 10:55 PM
After the game I picked some grass from the Hawkins wing and put it in a container which is still in my freezer

Ozza
22-04-2020, 12:56 PM
As someone who only attended WO AFL(VFL) games from 89-96 - I feel a bit jealous of those who were in their 20s and older, who'd have stood in the outer or behind the goals having a can.

I live in Seddon now, but very close to ground, not far from what used to be the Rising Sun Hotel. And there are still signs in my street (albeit very faded) that say "No parking on AFL Match days".

Twodogs
22-04-2020, 01:02 PM
As someone who only attended WO AFL(VFL) games from 89-96 - I feel a bit jealous of those who were in their 20s and older, who'd have stood in the outer or behind the goals having a can.

I live in Seddon now, but very close to ground, not far from what used to be the Rising Sun Hotel. And there are still signs in my street (albeit very faded) that say "No parking on AFL Match days".

My dear old dad made those signs and put them up. He worked for Footscray Council for 30 years as a painter.

The first time I saw the 50 metre line I knew he'd painted it because it didn't arc. He painted it from one line to the other meaning that in some parts the line was 70 metres away from the goalposts! I sat in the Can Bar and thought "Oh dad"

westdog54
27-04-2020, 01:53 PM
I have a vague recollection of Monty kicking a goal from the goalsquare and putting the ball over the back fence on the Geelong Rd end and onto Mt Mistake.

I was only 13. I definitely remember the cold.

Eastdog
27-04-2020, 02:39 PM
After the game I picked some grass from the Hawkins wing and put it in a container which is still in my freezer

Love it!

WBFC4FFC
27-04-2020, 05:14 PM
Love it!

I grabbed a piece of Rock from where I was standing at the back of the Pocket between the EJ Whitten Stand and the Barkly Street goals, directly under the Farnbach Burnham Real Estate sign!

Was eyeing off one of the posts to take home (800 metres away) as a momento. (Read some Saints fan was able to accomplish this after the last game at Moorabbin). Has two other mates but this was not realistic I soon found out.

Axe Man
27-04-2020, 05:53 PM
Now I'm waiting for an epic Twodogs story where he somehow souvenired the scoreboard, the Doug Hawkins wing sign and David Smorgon's car.

GVGjr
27-04-2020, 06:04 PM
Now I'm waiting for an epic Twodogs story where he somehow souvenired the scoreboard, the Doug Hawkins wing sign and David Smorgon's car.

We know that the Coaches box on the outer went to someone else so that narrows things just a bit

You do know you've now thrown down the gauntlet to him?

Eastdog
27-04-2020, 07:14 PM
I grabbed a piece of Rock from where I was standing at the back of the Pocket between the EJ Whitten Stand and the Barkly Street goals, directly under the Farnbach Burnham Real Estate sign!

Was eyeing off one of the posts to take home (800 metres away) as a momento. (Read some Saints fan was able to accomplish this after the last game at Moorabbin). Has two other mates but this was not realistic I soon found out.

The spot I can picture you were standing at is where the Mission Elite training centre is today :) The few times I have been to the WO I just love sitting up in the Whitten Stand. When we played the Demons there in 2017 I was standing on the Gordon St side of the ground - Doug Hawkins wing. I believe that is where the EJ Smith stand used to be. When I went along for the GF training session I was in the John Gent stand.

WBFC4FFC
27-04-2020, 07:26 PM
The spot I can picture you were standing at is where the Mission Elite training centre is today :) The few times I have been to the WO I just love sitting up in the Whitten Stand. When we played the Demons there in 2017 I was standing on the Gordon St side of the ground - Doug Hawkins wing. I believe that is where the EJ Smith stand used to be. When I went along for the GF training session I was in the John Gent stand.

Yep. That is the spot, having lived in Footscray it was the closest gate to get into.

The EJ Smith stand was frequented on the wet days, if I could get a spot to stand. That last game was wet and packed. I did not bother to go to the Gordon St wing as a result.

Eastdog
27-04-2020, 07:29 PM
Yep. That is the spot, having lived in Footscray it was the closest gate to get into.

The EJ Smith stand was frequented on the wet days, if I could get a spot to stand. That last game was wet and packed. I did not bother to go to the Gordon St wing as a result.

Haven’t yet driven to the WO myself only ever taken the train there from out in the eastern suburbs. Great that West Footscray station is right on the doorstep of the ground. My wish is to play some AFL games there for premiership points in the future.

Twodogs
27-04-2020, 08:46 PM
Haven’t yet driven to the WO myself only ever taken the train there from out in the eastern suburbs. Great that West Footscray station is right on the doorstep of the ground. My wish is to play some AFL games there for premiership points in the future.

I didn't know that you were that good Easty.

Twodogs
27-04-2020, 08:47 PM

Smorgo was not happy. I warned him but he said "I'm staying for one more drink!"

Twodogs
27-04-2020, 08:48 PM
No heater in the car?

Public transport back in those days.

Eastdog
27-04-2020, 08:53 PM
I didn't know that you were that good Easty.

How do you mean TD?

Twodogs
27-04-2020, 10:38 PM
How do you mean TD?

You are going to play AFL footy at Whitten oval? I mean it's good to have an ambition and everything but we don't actually play AFL games at Whitten oval anymore so I can't help but think that you are going to be disappointed.

Eastdog
27-04-2020, 10:41 PM
You are going to play AFL footy at Whitten oval? I mean it's good to have an ambition and everything but we don't actually play AFL games at Whitten oval anymore so I can't help but think that you are going to be disappointed.

It is what it is and I’m very used to Marvel Stadium and love my reserve seats.

Axe Man
28-04-2020, 10:14 AM
It is what it is and I’m very used to Marvel Stadium and love my reserve seats.

Whoosh!

This is peak Easty.

bornadog
28-04-2020, 10:31 AM
Whoosh!

This is peak Easty.

Easty didn't get TD's joke.

Axe Man
28-04-2020, 10:57 AM
Easty didn't get TD's joke.

Yeah the whoosh is the joke going over Easty's head.

Great work Easty, don't ever change.

comrade
28-04-2020, 12:27 PM

Double whoosh over BAD :D

bornadog
28-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Double whoosh over BAD

haha, I don't think so.

Yes I picked the whoosh up but not sure Easty did. :D

craigsahibee
28-04-2020, 01:27 PM

Yep. One of the colder days I've experienced at the footy. Cold enough for a hip flask tucked inside the driz-a-bone that day. The only time I've felt the need to smuggle a drink into the footy, up until the first game we played in Ballarat. Which was a good thing too, considering they ran out of beer at 3 quarter time that day.

The last game at WO was memorable for a lot of reasons, mostly seeing the ols supporters wh had been standing in the same spot for years. My old man started taking me when I was 5, and we would stand on the HF Flank at the Drill Hall end. As I grew older and thirstier, I made my way down to in front of the scoreboard where the bar was bigger and I had to walk back that way anyway to get to the station. To go back to the HF Flank and see all of those supporters that I hadn't seen for a while was a special day, topped off by an old fashioned Doggies win.

Great times.

1eyedog
28-04-2020, 01:44 PM
How good was Leon Cameron? His footskills compare well to modern day players. I know we rave about Gilbee's foot cannon and Suckkers left foot, but Leon Cameron is up there with them.

Was better on the run than both of them.